PDA

View Full Version : Steven McLean

Highland_Hibee
02-04-2017, 05:39 PM
In a world where our game is officiated by total dross I have to say McLean has to be our top whistle blower. Straight in there booking Waghorn for diving in front of the slavering Mordor faithful. For a former Hun season ticket holder he's competent and unbiased. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

green day
02-04-2017, 05:47 PM
In a world where our game is officiated by total dross I have to say McLean has to be our top whistle blower. Straight in there booking Waghorn for diving in front of the slavering Mordor faithful. For a former Hun season ticket holder he's competent and unbiased. [emoji106]

Been saying that for months. He is streets ahead of Craig Thomson.

Roxyhibee
02-04-2017, 05:52 PM

Streets ahead of all of them.

Doesn't make the game about him. Happy for him to officiate any game we play in.

GordonHFC
02-04-2017, 06:08 PM

Doesn't make the game about him. Happy for him to officiate any game we play in.

Won't be able to if his brother is playing.

Sir David Gray
02-04-2017, 06:14 PM

He won't be refereeing any of our games this season whilst Brian McLean is contracted to us.

The Rebel
02-04-2017, 06:21 PM
He won't be refereeing any of our games this season whilst Brian McLean is contracted to us.

Does Craig Thomson have a sister we can sign??!

oneone73
02-04-2017, 06:22 PM
Does Craig Thomson have a sister we can sign??!

Yes. But he's married to her.

snooky
02-04-2017, 06:31 PM

:faf:

renato
02-04-2017, 09:25 PM
Best ref in Scotland by a country mile, which admittedly isn't saying much, given the complete train wrecks we've had to witness (particularly this season).

Obviously had a great game for the cup final but to add some balance he did make a big mistake with the Dylan (non) handball at Ibrox, that led to Tavernier's free kick winner.

The fact you rarely notice him is a good sign, though.

bawheid
02-04-2017, 09:33 PM

Steven McLean has never been a Rangers season ticket holder.

Highland_Hibee
02-04-2017, 09:39 PM
Steven McLean has never been a Rangers season ticket holder.

It was said in slight jest as I had always thought he had never confirmed nor denied the rumours?

snooky
03-04-2017, 01:09 PM
Just watched highlights of the Cathro v Rodgers game.
Hearts denied a pen - a pretty good call for one too.
At 0-4, almost exact same tackle at other end. Pen awarded to Celtc.
Refs continue to extract the urine out of the rest of us with their OF bias.
Scottish football is rotten to the core.

houstonhibbee
03-04-2017, 03:29 PM
I thought the hearts one would have been very soft whereas Celtic one seemed clearcut

HoboHarry
03-04-2017, 03:39 PM
There isn't a country in the world where the fans think that their referees are brilliant.

greenlex
03-04-2017, 03:42 PM
Watched a programme on SKY last night called Referees inside with Carrager and Neville. It was quite an insight into officiating a match and their life in general. Particularly worth a watch was the linesmans offside call demonstration.

southern hibby
03-04-2017, 04:00 PM

And her nickname from him is MUM

GGTTH

silverhibee
03-04-2017, 04:12 PM
Watched a programme on SKY last night called Referees inside with Carrager and Neville. It was quite an insight into officiating a match and their life in general. Particularly worth a watch was the linesmans offside call demonstration.

Was a great watch, who would want to be a referee or linesman, but I'm sure they are full time refs and either GN or JC mentioned "not bad for 12k a game" as they were talking to the refs, our refs are not full time and doubt they have anything like what kind of set up they have down South, you could have 10 bad games here in Scotland and get the old firm derby as a reward, down South and a ref has 1 bad game and there is a good chance they will get demoted to the lower leagues.

snooky
03-04-2017, 04:23 PM
Was a great watch, who would want to be a referee or linesman, but I'm sure they are full time refs and either GN or JC mentioned "not bad for 12k a game" as they were talking to the refs, our refs are not full time and doubt they have anything like what kind of set up they have down South, you could have 10 bad games here in Scotland and get the old firm derby as a reward, down South and a ref has 1 bad game and there is a good chance they will get demoted to the lower leagues.

Just to keep my conspiracy theory on the boil, SH.......

Define "bad games". Are those the ones where Hibs win despite all the refs efforts to thwart them. :stirrer: :wink:

JimBHibees
03-04-2017, 04:32 PM

Was that the one on Cowie was definitely a foul but think outside the box ref definitely should have seen it.

scuttle
03-04-2017, 04:43 PM
Best ref in Scotland by a country mile, which admittedly isn't saying much, given the complete train wrecks we've had to witness (particularly this season).

Obviously had a great game for the cup final but to add some balance he did make a big mistake with the Dylan (non) handball at Ibrox, that led to Tavernier's free kick winner.

The fact you rarely notice him is a good sign, though.

Bobby Madden must be up there too,

SouthMoroccoStu
03-04-2017, 05:16 PM
There isn't a country in the world where the fans think that their referees are brilliant.

Malta :wink:

NAE NOOKIE
03-04-2017, 06:03 PM

If you want to see the difference between Thomson and McLean then watch the 2012 and 2016 cup finals ..... Thomson got the book out as soon as he could, McLean took ages to book a player even though there were a few fouls in the first half, not least of all Stokes one in the first few minutes ..... McLean took the sensible view that a cup final will result in a few early fouls before it settles down .. something Thomson was incapable of doing.

If there's one thing that sets McLean apart its that he likes to keep his cards in his pocket, at least that's my impression of him .... when he reffed our cuffing of Hearts in the cup the Hibs TV guys were going nuts because he didn't book every Hearts foul, and there were a few of them, in fact there were a few that should IMO have resulted in cards but didn't .... but I would rather see a ref who takes the view that a free kick exists to penalise foul play and that bookings don't have to automatically follow every time.

Definitely our best ref I would say ..... the very antithesis to the 'look at me' guys like Thomson :aok:

silverhibee
03-04-2017, 07:58 PM
Just to keep my conspiracy theory on the boil, SH.......

Define "bad games". Are those the ones where Hibs win despite all the refs efforts to thwart them. :stirrer: :wink:

Sadly, the refs who are pish against us are normally pish the next again week when they ref Raith vs Dumbarton etc etc each week, it isn't just a Hibs thing, referee's are very poor in there consistency and decision making, how many times do you see a linesman not give a decision until the ref blows his whistle then the flag goes up, or the ref looks at the lino for a bit help and get nothing and they guess if it was a foul/throw-in, I have seen the ref Junior Dallas ref games for different teams, he is consistent in one thing, being poor every week.

Mind you, it doesn't help when players are cheating and trying to con the referee, Lennon is having a go at the Morton player for cheating, where was the outcry from Lennon when Cummings cheated and tried to con the referee up at Dundee a few weeks ago to gain a goal. :cb

JimBHibees
04-04-2017, 08:55 AM
If you want to see the difference between Thomson and McLean then watch the 2012 and 2016 cup finals ..... Thomson got the book out as soon as he could, McLean took ages to book a player even though there were a few fouls in the first half, not least of all Stokes one in the first few minutes ..... McLean took the sensible view that a cup final will result in a few early fouls before it settles down .. something Thomson was incapable of doing.

If there's one thing that sets McLean apart its that he likes to keep his cards in his pocket, at least that's my impression of him .... when he reffed our cuffing of Hearts in the cup the Hibs TV guys were going nuts because he didn't book every Hearts foul, and there were a few of them, in fact there were a few that should IMO have resulted in cards but didn't .... but I would rather see a ref who takes the view that a free kick exists to penalise foul play and that bookings don't have to automatically follow every time.

Definitely our best ref I would say ..... the very antithesis to the 'look at me' guys like Thomson :aok:

He will argue he was taking the sensible view by not sending off the painter when he should have. :greengrin

NAE NOOKIE
04-04-2017, 04:13 PM
He will argue he was taking the sensible view by not sending off the painter when he should have. :greengrin

Yeh ..... I should of course have said Thomson couldn't wait to get the book out for us ..... Black's assault happened right in front of him, dinnae get me started !!! :grr:

JimBHibees
04-04-2017, 04:15 PM
Yeh ..... I should of course have said Thomson couldn't wait to get the book out for us ..... Black's assault happened right in front of him, dinnae get me started !!! :grr:

With apparently the linesman screaming off, off in his earpiece only to be ignored by the great one.

Centre Hawf
05-04-2017, 12:22 AM
The hilarious irony of the situation with McLean is hes clearly our best ref. So the SFA have taken away his Fifa status and wont be representing Scotland. I guess that's the punishment for letting us win the cup/not letting Rangers win it.