PDA

View Full Version : Stevenson

PiemanP
02-04-2017, 12:32 AM
Cup winning sentiment aside If we have any ambition about finishing top 4 next season he can't be our regular left back. He gives 110% yes, but he can't put in a cross, beat a man, or has any real pace.

The top teams in the SPL all have full backs with genuine attacking threat (Tierny, Shinnie, Wallace, Patterson, Tavanier). Stevenson offers us nothing. Time for Lennon to be ruthless and get rid.09

SChibs
02-04-2017, 12:40 AM
Offers nothing? He's played under countless managers and if he genuinely offered nothing he'd have been punted years ago.
He's no Dani alves but a decent enough full back.

zolliehibs
02-04-2017, 12:40 AM
Cup winning sentiment aside If we have any ambition about finishing top 4 next season he can't be our regular left back. He gives 110% yes, but he can't put in a cross, beat a man, or has any real pace.

The top teams in the SPL all have full backs with genuine attacking threat (Tierny, Shinnie, Wallace, Patterson, Tavanier). Stevenson offers us nothing. Time for Lennon to be ruthless and get rid.09

Shinnie plays in midfield and Tavernier is garbage. Stevenson's been one of our best players this years. Have a word.

Deansy
02-04-2017, 12:43 AM
When will the anti 'Stevenson' mob give up - thankfully, a long line of previous and current managers know better than them !

Unseen work
02-04-2017, 12:44 AM
Being deadly serious, I think that is the last position we need to look at.

Goalkeeper - Marciano away come end of seasons. Needs looked at.

Right back - gray has faded imo and this needs looked at in the summer. Efe also leaves us.

Centre back - comfortable with Hanlon, Mcgregor and fontaine

Midfield - need to add more goals, pace and players with that extra dimension who have a real desire to score and get on the end of crosses. Really important.

Strikers - another couple who had pace and goals. Needs looked at

Wee Effen Bee
02-04-2017, 12:49 AM

**** off! That is all.

Mantis Toboggan
02-04-2017, 12:56 AM

Fullback is the least of our problems.
You also cannot type or spell.
Maybe we should be ruthless and get rid of you?

AgentDaleCooper
02-04-2017, 01:48 AM
**** off! That is all.

i second this motion :aok:

HoboHarry
02-04-2017, 03:25 AM

I know it's not nice to be rude but away and sit on yer erse ya banger.........

Tavanier (or however it's spelt) - identified before the cup final as unable to defend and dismantled by Stokes
Paterson - off to England as soon as he regains his fitness
Wallace - :faf::faf::faf::faf:

You sir are an eejit - enjoy your next game watching from the Shed........

Dunbar Hibee
02-04-2017, 03:41 AM
You are of course entitled to your opinion. In my opinion though that's a ****ing lot of rubbish.

The Leith Dutch
02-04-2017, 06:21 AM

We have nobody who can cross a ball and McGinn (beat a man) and Boyle (pace) are the only real threats set up wise.

The thought occurs that maybe having some players in the attacking positions who can do the forward minded tasks well is more of a pressing need than addressing the fact that our very decent left back is not a great exponent of total football.

Just a thought mind....

cam75
02-04-2017, 06:24 AM
Shinnie plays in midfield and Tavernier is garbage. Stevenson's been one of our best players this years. Have a word.

He is on about his brother at Aberdeen.

Ggtth

eastcoasthibby
02-04-2017, 07:09 AM
Why with as much experience and first team football behind d him and so many years as a full time players has he not improved his crossing ability ..he must still have about a 10% success rate in putting GI a telling cross or final ball. Also he just doesn't play an early ball if you watch him he rather than put a ball into the area for the player to move onto it, he waits until the player moves in and is waiting, it's a part of the fact that he slows the game down too often. In saying that he does give us an attacking option if his quality could be improved, there would be little to complain about with him as his attitude is spot on.

Jones28
02-04-2017, 07:09 AM
Crosses from LS have improved massively IMO. There's just never anybody in the box to get on the end of them because Holt things he's a winger whenever we are in decent wide positions.

Allant1981
02-04-2017, 07:11 AM
He is on about his brother at Aberdeen.

Ggtth

who also plays midfield almost every game

lucky
02-04-2017, 07:13 AM
His final ball wasn't great yesterday but he was solid at the back as usual. I just don't get this anti Stevenson section of the Hibs support. He is as reliable a FB your going to get in Scottish football for a couple grand a week.

CallumLaidlaw
02-04-2017, 07:25 AM
In the last half dozen games, Stevenson has put a number of cracking crosses in. We have failed to do anything with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hibbysam
02-04-2017, 07:26 AM

Wallace who can't defend as seen last week when Fraser ****ing Aird gave him the run around before LS easily had him in his pocket. Paterson still thinks he's a centre forward so neglects his defensive duties, and Tavernier has had to be played at right midfield as time and again he gets ripped for arse paper. I'm not even going to answer on Shinnie as you clearly know **** all. To say he lacks pace is absolutely hilarious.

Hibi
02-04-2017, 07:35 AM
In the last half dozen games, Stevenson has put a number of cracking crosses in. We have failed to do anything with them.

Yep I agree. Wednesday night he swung a great ball in for Graham that he headed just wide. It's become another fact amongst the support now, it's an easy moan for some

theonlywayisup
02-04-2017, 07:37 AM
You're only as good as your weakest player.

At the moment he's miles away from being our weakest link.

However at a point in the future I would love a left back that would constantly bomb up and down the left wing and score goals. However these players are rare breeds.

I would hate it if we got rid of Stevenson to then replace him with a Clancy type player.

fat freddy
02-04-2017, 07:50 AM
Only when he stops playing for us will we realise just how consistant and reliable he is. Class Player, Hibs Legend.

Baldy Foghorn
02-04-2017, 07:58 AM

:yawn::yawn::yawn:

Ozyhibby
02-04-2017, 08:06 AM
Stevenson is the least of our problems. The guy is a very solid full back who never gets injured. He is very good value for money.

Big_Franck
02-04-2017, 08:21 AM
Agree in part with the OP. We need better full backs if we are to improve. It should have been identified by Lennon last summer and Gray and Stevenson's delivery has been an issue for two years now. Where I disagree with the OP is that I don't think we should 'get rid' of either of them, but they should be back up IMO.

Ozyhibby
02-04-2017, 08:24 AM
Agree in part with the OP. We need better full backs if we are to improve. It should have been identified by Lennon last summer and Gray and Stevenson's delivery has been an issue for two years now. Where I disagree with the OP is that I don't think we should 'get rid' of either of them, but they should be back up IMO.

There is already going to be massive changes in the summer in midfield and up front. A bit of stability at the back would be a good thing I think.

Big_Franck
02-04-2017, 08:33 AM
There is already going to be massive changes in the summer in midfield and up front. A bit of stability at the back would be a good thing I think.

There'll definitely be a lot of changes up front, I'd certainly hope so, but I'm not so sure about midfield. I'd keep Marciano, Hanlon, McGregor/Ambrose (if we can keep him) in the starting 11 to ensure some continuity. If we persevere with Gray and Stevenson we'll be having the same discussions next year about dominating games but not scoring enough.

Credit where it's due though, I thought Stevenson was MOTM against Morton. No idea how he played yesterday though.

cam75
02-04-2017, 08:35 AM
who also plays midfield almost every game
Are you sure,his best position is LB I'm sure they had him at mid because of injuries but now LB?

I could be wrong just what's Aberdeen friends have said?

Ggtth

3pm
02-04-2017, 08:35 AM
Thought Lewis was decent yesterday.

bob12345
02-04-2017, 09:11 AM
Are you sure,his best position is LB I'm sure they had him at mid because of injuries but now LB?

Ggtth

Thought Considine had been their regular left back for quite a while.

blackpoolhibs
02-04-2017, 09:22 AM
Lewis Stevenson and David Gray are very good fullbacks, and if we play with a flat back 4 they would be as good as anything in the league.

If they are asked to play as wing backs, that's when we see their frailties.

If we are to play with wing backs then yes i'd like to think we'd get better in, but if we get better players in further forward who have width pace and ability, those two would be fine behind them and contribute to a decent solid back 4.

cam75
02-04-2017, 09:30 AM
Thought Considine had been their regular left back for quite a while.

Yes checked with a mate,consdine is regular LB.👍

Borderhibbie76
02-04-2017, 09:35 AM
This is tiresome on here it really is...after every match we don't win the Lewis bashing brigade come out...as many have already said he is the least of our concerns at present

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

NORTHERNHIBBY
02-04-2017, 09:45 AM
Nobody says that wee Lewis has a stormer every week but in terms of commitment and application it would be great if he was our worst player. Our longest serving player has had a fair run if he is getting picked on sentiment.

Allant1981
02-04-2017, 09:48 AM

Ggtth

yip played there for well over a year now im sure

adhibs
02-04-2017, 09:54 AM
Played realy well last two games. Was one shocking cross in the second half when in a good position yesterday, he was far from the only one to spurn a decent opportunity though.

West lower
02-04-2017, 09:56 AM
I have been to most games this season, and don't remember any winger getting the better of Lewis. Played as a full back he is one of the best around. Also covers for the centre backs very well when teams break on us. You would have to spend a lot more cash on wages to bring in better.

Since90+2
02-04-2017, 10:02 AM
Stevenson is solid and dependable and you know your getting 100% percent from him every week. However , if we can identify someone who can add more to the team , and I don't doubt there will be players out there within our budget who can , then I wouldn't shed any tears if he moved on.

He is neither the weak link in the side or someone who is vital to the team or one of our most important players. The truth is he is somewhere in between.

GreenOnions
02-04-2017, 10:22 AM
I agree with those who think Lewis is an excellent defender who's tidy in possession. He is also calm, experienced, a model pro and rarely injured. I've been disappointed with his final ball near the opposition penalty area though.

Couple of things to bear in mind IMHO:

Firstly - I think our lack of genuine wide players with a bit of pace while Lewis has played left back has put a lot more responsibility on our full-backs to be the attacking threat in wide areas and our main "out ball". Perhaps if we bring in a quality winger or two our style would suit Lewis more in that he could concentrate on the things he is very good at.

Secondly - the defensive abilities of our full-backs will be required more in the top league than they have been of late. Maybe the things Lewis brings to the team will be more suited to the top league than to the Championship?

keep the faith
02-04-2017, 10:37 AM

Honestly that's a ridiculous post. What makes you post that? Stevenson has been terrific this season and is the last person who needs replaced.
Try supporting our players.

ancient hibee
02-04-2017, 10:56 AM
Something tells me that when we start off in the top league having had an excellent season from our defence we really shouldn't repace half of it.Incidentally Stevenson's crossing is no worse that our attacking players.It's the lack of targets for the crosses,in particular the lack of midfielders bursting a gut to get in the box, that's the problem.

GreenLake
02-04-2017, 12:32 PM
It won't be easy to sign a better player than Lewis with the money we have to spend.

sleeping giant
02-04-2017, 12:34 PM
Living legend who will be talked about long after he hangs up his halo.

Long live Lewis Stevenson.

brog
02-04-2017, 12:52 PM
I just watched highlights & Lewis produced a lovely piece of football & a great cross which I'm afraid SJM made a bit of a mess of. SJM acknowledged the error which is more than most posters do on here when discussing Lewis.

IncredibleHibee
02-04-2017, 12:55 PM

Unfortunately comments like this give credence to the term 'leith junkie' smh

NikGunnarsson
02-04-2017, 01:16 PM
Full Backs should be the first area we look at, it's our weakest.
Stevenson over the past few months has actually impressed a lot and I think it's more a new right back we need. He may be our Scottish Cup winning captain but if he plays next season it's a liability imo.
We should have tried harder to pick up Gunnarsson this season, we should try and get Richard Tait from Mwell, very good full back that gets assists on a regular basis and can also defend.

Ozyhibby
02-04-2017, 01:18 PM
Our defence is our weakest area? [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
Easy up on the lunchtime bevy.

MWHIBBIES
02-04-2017, 01:22 PM

Patterson wont be at Hearts, Shinnie is a midfielder now, Wallace and Tavarnier are utterly hopeless defenders. Stevenson beats plenty of players, has good pace and has played plenty of good crosses this season.

Fraser Aird ripped Wallace to bits and didn't get past Lewis once...

The worst part is suggesting to ''get rid''...Lewis is an absolute legend, you don't just ''get rid'' of guys like that, especially ones as good as Lewis.

Winston Ingram
02-04-2017, 02:11 PM

Behave yourself. The examples you've offered as a comparison made me chuckle though :faf:

02-04-2017, 02:22 PM
His crossing can be a bit suspect at times but he's defiantly good enough for us. Works his arse off every single game, has the heart and the passion and from what I hear, constantly goes the extra mile off the pitch to keep improving. Yes, I realise that working hard and being passionate doesn't automatically make you a good player but Lewis is and i'm sick of seeing him constantly being used as the scapegoat. Sometimes his criticism is justified, he isn't perfect, if he was he would be playing at a club much higher than us but sometimes I feel some people just can't wait to get on his back.

Lewis is a brilliant professional and I hope he's with us till he retires. And no i'm not letting the fact he's won both cups cloud my judgement. Yes, that will forever make him a legend but I wouldn't want him in the team if he wasn't good enough just because of past glories.

Franck Stanton
02-04-2017, 02:38 PM

Gonny no, just gonny no.

Hibs90
02-04-2017, 02:46 PM

Opened a can here have you not :greengrin

AgentDaleCooper
02-04-2017, 02:47 PM
IMO, the sentiment alone has a great deal of currency in practical terms - lewis is a truly remarkable role model for any young players coming through the ranks, he has the medals to prove that hard work and persistence will get you great things without having to leave the club - it would be an utter travesty if we got rid of him IMO (unless for some reason he wanted out), he is a model professional and an absolute asset to the club.

HibbyAndy
02-04-2017, 02:51 PM
In recent weeks he has been superb for us and has definitely improved on his crossing putting in numerous dangerous crosses

Stantons Angel
02-04-2017, 02:57 PM

You really are stirring it up just now aint you?

Have you nothing else to do than to fish for the usual feedback on lewis.
ive said it before and i'll say it again....... at a stage of the season we are at WHY do we need such derogatory
remarks like these.

We are going go the league title we need to be positive (even after yesterday) we need to get this club over the line and to promotion.

Lewis has delivered a few cracking crosses in the last few games and either no one has been on the end of them or have put them wide or behind the goal!

Next season when we get up there must be changes to sustain us in the premier league Please stop all the negativity against one player especially Lewis and put your energy into backing your team!

shetlandhibee
02-04-2017, 03:02 PM
Lewis Stevenson and David Gray are very good fullbacks, and if we play with a flat back 4 they would be as good as anything in the league.

If we are to play with wing backs then yes i'd like to think we'd get better in, but if we get better players in further forward who have width pace and ability, those two would be fine behind them and contribute to a decent solid back 4.sensible post:aok:

blackpoolhibs
02-04-2017, 03:10 PM
sensible post:aok:

Cheers matey, although i do have a long history of them. :wink:

snooky
02-04-2017, 03:16 PM

I had to check to see if this thread was started yesterday. If it had, it would have made a lot more sense to me. :cool2:

Vault Boy
02-04-2017, 03:25 PM
He's one of the best fullbacks in the country, get rid IMO.

Wee Effen Bee
02-04-2017, 06:46 PM
This is tiresome on here it really is...after every match we don't win the Lewis bashing brigade come out...as many have already said he is the least of our concerns at present

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

You know what though BH? I do believe the Stevenson haters have become more polarised as the seasons have gone on and those who recognise his ability and true worth are in the vast majority. A couple of points on the Wee Man, which some have already been highlighted: if many of Lewis' crosses are headed out by the first defender, why are none of our attackers cutting across the man at the front post - see Rooney's goal against Dundee on Friday; who, on a similar wage as he is receiving from Hibs now, would we swap Lewis for whether from the championship or even Scot's premier?; why do people always remember when his crosses don't find a man but conveniently forget when the forwards/midfielders screw up decent crosses?; not all crosses are for specific players - they are, hopefully, put into an area where they can be attacked by multiple players, and finally, those who not rate Lewis should sit down and watch highlights of full backs from various 'better' leagues crossing balls on the run and see how many actually lead to goals or even half decent chances...you may be surprised at the low success rate.

Big L
02-04-2017, 06:55 PM
Something tells me that when we start off in the top league having had an excellent season from our defence we really shouldn't repace half of it.Incidentally Stevenson's crossing is no worse that our attacking players.It's the lack of targets for the crosses,in particular the lack of midfielders bursting a gut to get in the box, that's the problem.

I believe this the main reason for our lack of goals, against Morton I lost count of the times Boyle outpaced everyone only to find their was no one getting in to the box for his cross's, I'ts the same wi Lewis. We need runners in to the box!

FitbaFolkKen
02-04-2017, 06:58 PM
You know what though BH? I do believe the Stevenson haters have become more polarised as the seasons have gone on and those who recognise his ability and true worth are in the vast majority. A couple of points on the Wee Man, which some have already been highlighted: if many of Lewis' crosses are headed out by the first defender, why are none of our attackers cutting across the man at the front post - see Rooney's goal against Dundee on Friday; who, on a similar wage as he is receiving from Hibs now, would we swap Lewis for whether from the championship or even Scot's premier?; why do people always remember when his crosses don't find a man but conveniently forget when the forwards/midfielders screw up decent crosses?; not all crosses are for specific players - they are, hopefully, put into an area where they can be attacked by multiple players, and finally, those who not rate Lewis should sit down and watch highlights of full backs from various 'better' leagues crossing balls on the run and see how many actually lead to goals or even half decent chances...you may be surprised at the low success rate.

1 assist in 30 games, 2665 minutes, is pretty low.

I think we'll see massive changes in the summer and if Lewis was one of them it wouldn't surprise me.

Winston Ingram
02-04-2017, 07:03 PM

Absolutely. Our supposed target man, Grant Holt is rarely in the box these days and it's not as if our midfielders get into the box

Mibbes Aye
02-04-2017, 07:13 PM

Good post. Funnily enough I stuck up a thread the other day about why EPL players don't beat the first man at corners, the gist of it being that a lofted ball into the middle might find a player but generally won't get a goal and will leave you open to the counter-attack. The faster, lower ball will be cut out by the first defender far more often but if it gets past him (or our player makes the right run) then the chances of scoring are higher. And it's all about percentages at that level. On that basis I'm now convinced Lewis is a genius :greengrin

There's another point needing refuted, which is about pace out wide. Lewis is about the fastest player I can remember when he needs to be but the reality is that pace does nothing in this division - it just means we hit the tackle quicker. When teams line up with ten behind the ball there's only going to be two ways to get past that. Individual trickery of a Zemmama nature - but that doesn't cut it against an organised defence because the days of tricky players dribbling past five opponents are long gone. The other is patience and possession, drawing the opposition out of shape, getting an overload and capitalising on it. Stevenson's greatest strength IMO is his tactical awareness, where he moves to and how he shapes to receive a pass and that is far more important than his crossing ability.

Northernhibee
02-04-2017, 07:19 PM
His game has come on leaps and bounds in the last few years; he's a really talented player and his attitude and application are second to none. We need him in this team.

Sir David Gray
02-04-2017, 07:22 PM
We have a lot bigger problems than Lewis Stevenson, believe me.

Lago
02-04-2017, 07:38 PM
His game has come on leaps and bounds in the last few years; he's a really talented player and his attitude and application are second to none. We need him in this team.
Correct

Liberal Hibby
02-04-2017, 07:39 PM
Pieman - interesting user name. Now where have I heard that name before?

Scouse Hibee
02-04-2017, 07:56 PM

You very rarely seen Lewis outpaced, he is a solid left back and a decent defender who wins plenty of tackles. Some of the attacking players you mention can't defend anywhere near as well as Lewis so they are not the compete package you strive for either.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
02-04-2017, 08:29 PM

If we are to play with wing backs then yes i'd like to think we'd get better in, but if we get better players in further forward who have width pace and ability, those two would be fine behind them and contribute to a decent solid back 4.

:agree:

northstandhibby
02-04-2017, 08:35 PM

100% They are both very able defenders and aren't averse to making productive runs up and down either wing but I too think they are at their best when asked to defend most of the time with wingers or attacking midfielders asked to supply width instead.

glory glory

BSEJVT
02-04-2017, 08:38 PM
You only have to look at the goals in our Scottish Cup run last year that came from Lewis's crossing to know what a crock of **** the Op is.

You could have David Beckham at his peak pinging crosses into the box right now from open play for Hibs and we still wouldn't score as there is no-one to get on the end of them, with Holt just about never in the box when a cross comes in from open play

Frogga
02-04-2017, 09:42 PM
Picking out Lewis is massively harsh. He's been solid this season and nowhere near one of our weaker players. His crossing (bar one rather wild one yesterday...!) is improving with every game and you can tell he's working on it.

Big90inOz
03-04-2017, 05:50 AM
Lewis is a solid defender who gives 100% every time, and he is no slouch in the pace dept- this cannot be in dispute by anyone who supports our club

But God do I wish he would make more runs in behind his opposite number, there are countless times where I'm just wishing he would make the run. Best case is he can be fed through, if not he will at least take a player away from the midfielder to match his run

Viva_Palmeiras
03-04-2017, 06:10 AM
A wee Hit and run OP in the wee small hours?

Thecat23
03-04-2017, 06:14 AM
Another ***** thread from someone looking for attention. Starts it then contributes nothing after. Funny that!

Oh and Stevenson has been very good this season, just like most seasons!!

lord bunberry
03-04-2017, 08:19 AM
Another ***** thread from someone looking for attention. Starts it then contributes nothing after. Funny that!

That's the thing that bothers me with threads like this. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but to start a thread like this then contribute nothing after it is poor imo.

Baldy Foghorn
03-04-2017, 09:57 AM

:top marks:top marks

J-C
03-04-2017, 10:24 AM

:top marks It does get very tiresome, Lewis is a steady 7 every week, cracking fullback who loves a tackle, he'll never be the best wingback in the world hence why we're all wanting a winger in place.

worcesterhibby
03-04-2017, 11:10 AM
Not only can we not afford someone better than Lewis. I actually very much doubt we could afford Lewis if he played elsewhere. Totally dependable, incredibly fit left backs, who are virtually never injured, are model professionals, have a vast experience and are always willing to show as an out ball and join the attacking play are very, very hard to find on Scottish club budgets...the examples you give are either not full backs, poor defenders or in the case of Patterson are set to leave Scottish football and we couldn't afford them.

Possibly the worst and most un-necessarliy negative post I have seen on here in a long time. Before you start slagging off Lewis's performance as a player, maybe you should take a long hard look at yourself as a supporter.

JDHibs
03-04-2017, 11:44 AM
Lewis is a very solid full back. Always gives 100%. Never gives up and to be fair to him, rarely gets beaten in the air or on the ground.

Is he the greatest attacking full back ever? No. But hes there to defend and he does that well.

We could have Tav at the Huns, useless at the back, be better with a sive, but hes good at free kicks....

Give me a lewis anyway. Mr Reliable. Never injured, rarely gets sent off and can always be depended upon.

Eyrie
03-04-2017, 06:30 PM
:top marks It does get very tiresome, Lewis is a steady 7 every week, cracking fullback who loves a tackle, he'll never be the best wingback in the world hence why we're all wanting a winger in place.

And when that happens the same people that whine about Stevenson being "unable to cross a ball" will start whining that his replacement can't defend :rolleyes:

Like you I'll stick with Stevenson as a full back and hope for a change of formation to create a spot for a winger to play in front of him.

MrRobot
03-04-2017, 09:02 PM
This thread is ridiculous.

dp00
03-04-2017, 10:49 PM
This thread is ridiculous.

Exactly

Wee Effen Bee
03-04-2017, 11:46 PM
1 assist in 30 games, 2665 minutes, is pretty low.

I think we'll see massive changes in the summer and if Lewis was one of them it wouldn't surprise me.

Compared to all those countless assists by which other left backs? Again though, stats like that are so misleading: go back and check how many times LS broke up play, pushed forward and created the opening for others to pop up with the telling passes or look at the number of times he was involved at some point in the build up to a goal. Mind you, you could give us the stats on how many times he DEFENDED well - by intercepting passes/making telling tackles which prevented goals against us etc. Think there would be more than a few of us surprised if Lewis was emptied.

HoboHarry
04-04-2017, 04:44 AM
That's the thing that bothers me with threads like this. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but to start a thread like this then contribute nothing after it is poor imo.
A poster called Pieman starts a thread critical of LS and then bolts. Clearly a Yak starting a thread to get a reaction and since the thread is now 3 pages long he will be thinking "job done".......