PDA

View Full Version : How Lennon saw today's game

G B Young
01-04-2017, 05:02 PM
Hibernian head coach Neil Lennon: "I thought we were excellent first half, really good value for the lead. They get a penalty which is debatable - if it's the correct decision, it's probably the only one the referee made all afternoon, as far as I'm concerned.
"I'm not too sure Lewis could do much about (the penalty); he's about a yard away. His arm's maybe deemed to be in an unnatural position. He booked Dylan McGeouch for diving - it's ridiculous. And some of the other decisions I wasn't pleased about. I just think the standard of refereeing's not great at the minute.
"We just need to keep ticking off the games at the minute. We should be putting these games away, because we had total control of the game for long periods.
"We keep dragging it out - that's annoying, but we're nearly there."

Heisenberg
01-04-2017, 05:05 PM
He's clearly just decided to say what he wants about the refs because he knows he's getting banned anyway 😂

Joe6-2
01-04-2017, 05:07 PM
So glad to hear someone speak out about referees!

Franck Stanton
01-04-2017, 05:07 PM
Just telling it how it is. Refs this season have been terrible.

GreenLake
01-04-2017, 05:09 PM
Hibernian head coach Neil Lennon: "I thought we were excellent first half, really good value for the lead. They get a penalty which is debatable - if it's the correct decision, it's probably the only one the referee made all afternoon, as far as I'm concerned.
"I'm not too sure Lewis could do much about (the penalty); he's about a yard away. His arm's maybe deemed to be in an unnatural position. He booked Dylan McGeouch for diving - it's ridiculous. And some of the other decisions I wasn't pleased about. I just think the standard of refereeing's not great at the minute.
"We just need to keep ticking off the games at the minute. We should be putting these games away, because we had total control of the game for long periods.
"We keep dragging it out - that's annoying, but we're nearly there."

He will get in trouble for simply stating the obvious.

SRHibs
01-04-2017, 05:10 PM
He's right, the referees are *****, but now is probably not the time to be so candid about things.

ancient hibee
01-04-2017, 05:11 PM
BBC call penalty controversial.

thebakerboy
01-04-2017, 05:17 PM
BBC call penalty controversial.

Well if the BBC called it controversial it must have dead on wrong.

Unseen work
01-04-2017, 05:17 PM
He is doing this imo to pressure referee's to give us more decisions and not give against us.

lucky
01-04-2017, 05:19 PM
He's spot on

hfc rd
01-04-2017, 05:20 PM
"Lennon's right, the refs are s****"

staunchhibby
01-04-2017, 05:23 PM
Well said Neil the refereeing has been atrocious and today it continued in the same vein.The booking of McGeogh was a total farce.

Danderhall Hibs
01-04-2017, 05:33 PM
"Lennon's right, the refs are s****"

Who said that?

coldingham hibs
01-04-2017, 05:34 PM
I wish Neil would focus on playing some decent football rather than spend his time blaming referees, yes there have been some poor decisions but our football is dire.

bingo70
01-04-2017, 05:36 PM
I wish Neil would focus on playing some decent football rather than spend his time blaming referees, yes there have been some poor decisions but our football is dire.

Yeah, I'm trying not to be too critical when he's almost got us over the line but when we're only ever beating teams by one goal we're going to be impacted by every bad decision or freak goal against us.

Nakedmanoncrack
01-04-2017, 05:36 PM

Possibly the uninspiring football is why he want the focus to be elsewhere.

Moody Blues
01-04-2017, 05:37 PM

totally agree with this.

Greenwich_Hibby
01-04-2017, 05:41 PM

Totally - dreadful football all season- think he needs to concentrate on what he's paid to do.....do I think it will get better next year? No - poor manager who wont have a war-chest to bail out his tactical deficiencies....

Ryan91
01-04-2017, 05:45 PM
RE the Penalty, was walking back after the game and an older guy mentioned that the ref and linesman took a good 15 seconds to come to a decision on the Penalty and play had continued after the incident, whereas normally the decision is being made within a couple of seconds, even if it is the correct decision, why is he taking so long to make his mind up as to whether it's a penalty or not?

greenlex
01-04-2017, 06:03 PM
Ref never gave the pen he waved play on. I think the linesman gave it.
The other one on the other side was really poor. Cummings was at least a yard offside several times and he wasnt up with play so never flagged. He also failed to spot a stonewall pen in the dying minutes when Cummings was hauled to the ground. The officials were poor.

poolman
01-04-2017, 06:05 PM
RE the Penalty, was walking back after the game and an older guy mentioned that the ref and linesman took a good 15 seconds to come to a decision on the Penalty and play had continued after the incident, whereas normally the decision is being made within a couple of seconds, even if it is the correct decision, why is he taking so long to make his mind up as to whether it's a penalty or not?

Yup, penalty decisions should be made within maybe 3 seconds

After that it's obvious that they are not sure, to give a penalty there should be no doubt as to give it or not

Lancs Harp
01-04-2017, 06:06 PM
Its tactical, Neils creating a Mourinho type seige mentality.:wink:

MacBean
01-04-2017, 06:08 PM
Not a word wrong

emerald green
01-04-2017, 06:10 PM

Neil hung up his boots years ago. He can only utilise the players in the squad he has got.

marinello59
01-04-2017, 06:17 PM
Totally - dreadful football all season- think he needs to concentrate on what he's paid to do.....do I think it will get better next year? No - poor manager who wont have a war-chest to bail out his tactical deficiencies....

His job this season was to get us out of this division. He has nearly completed that task.

PatHead
01-04-2017, 06:39 PM
Referee was really poor today. Couldn't understand why he wouldn't let the Dunfermline player back on the pitch in the first half. Then he did it to hibs later.

NORTHERNHIBBY
01-04-2017, 06:41 PM
His job this season was to get us out of this division. He has nearly completed that task.

This and nothing more than this. We will be a different proposition next season.

greenlex
01-04-2017, 06:44 PM
Referee was really poor today. Couldn't understand why he wouldn't let the Dunfermline player back on the pitch in the first half. Then he did it to hibs later.
Blood injury. It needs an official to check its stemmed and ok to return. No 4th official so it has to be the linesman. He cant do that while the ball is in play.

Brooster
01-04-2017, 06:51 PM
We cant keep blaming the refs. The truth is we have a number of players who are not good enough to turn all these draws in to wins

Lago
01-04-2017, 06:51 PM
Just my feeling but I think that once he has Hibs promoted Lennon will leave, I think he is well aware a substantial minority of Hibs fans didn't want him from the begining & others have now jumped on the Lennon should go band waggon. He will probably feel that to a degree he has redeemed himself after his Bolton gig & look to now move on. On a personal note I hope I'm wrong.

Booked4Being-Ugly
01-04-2017, 06:53 PM
Lennon is spot on, some of the decisions were horrendous.

1. Allowing the pars to take free kicks a metre closer than where the incident happened.
2. SJM booked for his 1st foul.
3. The (non) penalty.
4. Letting the pars CH's hold and foul Graham all game.
5. Booking DM for diving when he was taken out.
6. Letting play continue after Keatings got halved.
7. Ignoring Cummings getting dragged to the ground in the penalty box.

Just some of the things I witnessed.

HFCdeb
01-04-2017, 06:53 PM

This.

B.H.F.C
01-04-2017, 06:55 PM
We cant keep blaming the refs. The truth is we have a number of players who are not good enough to turn all these draws in to wins

This. The referees decision should have been irrelevant today. We are playing against garbage. If we could score goals it wouldn't be an issue. It's poor, poor stuff.

heretoday
01-04-2017, 07:01 PM
Just my feeling but I think that once he has Hibs promoted Lennon will leave, I think he is well aware a substantial minority of Hibs fans didn't want him from the begining & others have now jumped on the Lennon should go band waggon. He will probably feel that to a degree he has redeemed himself after his Bolton gig & look to now move on. On a personal note I hope I'm wrong.
You could be right.

bingo70
01-04-2017, 07:04 PM

I think you're right and each to their own but I think I'd be quite happy if that turned out to be the case.

HFCdeb
01-04-2017, 07:04 PM

I'm in a similar head space but I don't think he'll leave because of a few fans not seeing the bigger picture. I think he'll go because he'll never be given the budget he wants to build his own squad. I also hope you're wrong.

Hibstrooper
01-04-2017, 07:06 PM

Just my feeling but I feel the exact opposite. If there are any Hibs fans against Lennon the they are in the minority and I don't think any bandwagon is gaining momentum. Anyone not supporting Lennon just now is just daft (and counter productive) as we look to confirm our place in the top division.

I think Lennon recognises the flaws in the team but is managing them well to get over the line. He will be here next season and I reckon we will see quite a different team.

hibsbollah
01-04-2017, 07:07 PM

You do know he's retired?

HFCdeb
01-04-2017, 07:09 PM
Just my feeling but I feel the exact opposite. If there are any Hibs fans against Lennon the they are in the minority and I don't think any bandwagon is gaining momentum. Anyone not supporting Lennon just now is just daft (and counter productive) as we look to confirm our place in the top division.

I think Lennon recognises the flaws in the team but is managing them well to get over the line. He will be here next season and I reckon we will see quite a different team.

I can't disagree with any of this.

lucky
01-04-2017, 07:09 PM

You've posted this nonsense before, so can you back it with any proof or is just anti Lennon crap?

Enough said
01-04-2017, 07:10 PM
This. The referees decision should have been irrelevant today. We are playing against garbage. If we could score goals it wouldn't be an issue. It's poor, poor stuff.

Unfortunately it wasn't just like most of the decisions by refs against us this season !!!

Lago
01-04-2017, 07:11 PM

Hope your right & I'm wrong.:agree:

hibsitis
01-04-2017, 07:11 PM

Yes. But a good manager would have done it much more easily and entertained us at the same time. There's no rules that day it's got to be this horrible.

matty_f
01-04-2017, 07:12 PM
Lennon is spot on, some of the decisions were horrendous.

1. Allowing the pars to take free kicks a metre closer than where the incident happened.
2. SJM booked for his 1st foul.
3. The (non) penalty.
4. Letting the pars CH's hold and foul Graham all game.
5. Booking DM for diving when he was taken out.
6. Letting play continue after Keatings got halved.
7. Ignoring Cummings getting dragged to the ground in the penalty box.

Just some of the things I witnessed.

The Keatings and Mcgeouch decisions were outrageous. Sure Keatings took studs to the chest and the ref didn't even give a foul.

greenlex
01-04-2017, 07:12 PM
Yes. But a good manager would have done it much more easily and entertained us at the same time. There's no rules that day it's got to be this horrible.
Equally theres no rule says it has to be pretty either.

Billy Whizz
01-04-2017, 07:13 PM
The Keatings and Mcgeouch decisions were outrageous. Sure Keatings took studs to the chest and the ref didn't even give a foul.

The challenge on Keats was very high, and should at worst been a foul for Hibs

CentreLine
01-04-2017, 07:21 PM

Absolutely agree. 👍

01-04-2017, 07:25 PM
Haha Lennon leaving after hibs get promoted.....

bingo70
01-04-2017, 07:27 PM

Not really sure what you mean by not supporting him but I'd be quite happy if he left tomorrow.

I'm not suggesting we should sack him but I've got big concerns about the amount of goals we score.

If that makes me daft then so be it.

01-04-2017, 07:29 PM
To elaborate, I don't know any hibs fans who would be averse to giving Lennon a shot in the premiership and given we are in a semi final and two games away from the greatest achievement of a non-rantic club in the modern era, it's too hasty to judge quite exactly what Lennon wants.

Steve20
01-04-2017, 07:33 PM
Sorry but if we don't win another game then we will be caught.

The amount of draws is ridiculous.

Roxyhibee
01-04-2017, 07:39 PM
I've honestly never witnessed such consistently dreadful refereeing this past couple of seasons in over 50 years of supporting.

At least in the 60's and 70's it was blatant corrupt Hun masonary at work. You knew what you were up against.! This is schoolboy, attention seeking, cowardly-buffoonery weird stuff.

WhileTheChief..
01-04-2017, 07:41 PM

Yup, agreed.

I think he will relish the challenge of going up against Rangers, Celtic and Hearts instead of the crap we've had to endure this season.

He seems to love it here and I don't see him being in a hurry to head south again.

Saturday Boy
01-04-2017, 07:41 PM
Quote: This is schoolboy, attention seeking, cowardly-buffoonery weird stuff.

I love that. I might even get it on a t-shirt 😉

matty_f
01-04-2017, 07:42 PM

Will we, aye?

TRC
01-04-2017, 07:45 PM
Was Darren not down after getting blootered in the head (only listened on the wireless) does that not count as a head injury?? This meaning the ref should have stopped the game??

Zazu62
01-04-2017, 07:47 PM

Lennon is settled in Scotland, if he did leave what team would he manage? No one up here apart from Celtic probably and I doubt he would go back down south tbh

StevieT
01-04-2017, 07:52 PM
Was Darren not down after getting blootered in the head (only listened on the wireless) does that not count as a head injury?? This meaning the ref should have stopped the game??

He blocked a shot with his head and went down. The referee was slow to react to most of the game and appeared to take forever to award free kicks.

Roxyhibee
01-04-2017, 07:55 PM
Quote: This is schoolboy, attention seeking, cowardly-buffoonery weird stuff.

I love that. I might even get it on a t-shirt 😉

I know, sorry.

But I seriously don't even know what to shout at some of these theatrical clowns anymore.! Their 'decision making' leaves me genuinely open mouthed and speechless. Never seen anything like it. They've actually worn me down.

Billy Whizz
01-04-2017, 08:04 PM
Who was he waving at in the main stand at the end of the game?
Looked quite bizarre

Unseen work
01-04-2017, 08:05 PM
Probably quite well from the stand

CathroMustStay
01-04-2017, 08:06 PM
Any Hibs fan that wants Neil Lennon, a soon-to-be Championship (and potentially Scottish Cup) winning Hibs manager to resign/be sacked in the summer is a damn fool.

Crab apple
01-04-2017, 08:07 PM

I agree with your second point but not your first. We won't be caught.

Crab apple
01-04-2017, 08:09 PM

I'm firmly in the pro Lennon camp and will be delighted if he is here for a good few years to come.

poolman
01-04-2017, 08:16 PM

FFS

What a crock o s***

scooby
01-04-2017, 08:20 PM

Yeah we all know that, but the performance of referees and linesman in this league is absolutely shocking, which doesn't help. We constantly get kicked off the park without repercussion, but the first dubious challenge by one of our players results in a booking.
Couple that with the penalty shouts we've had ignored and we could have been further ahead.

hibb1
01-04-2017, 08:23 PM
He is superb and exactly what we needed big ups all involved in selling us to him and getting him on board and fek me he is on board:thumbsup::flag:Winner and fighter and you do not get one without the other:cb

Saturday Boy
01-04-2017, 08:23 PM
I know, sorry.

But I seriously don't even know what to shout at some of these theatrical clowns anymore.! Their 'decision making' leaves me genuinely open mouthed and speechless. Never seen anything like it. They've actually worn me down.

Agreed. At so many games this season, I've come to understand why Basil Faulty could be reduced to thrashing his car with a branch 😉

PatHead
01-04-2017, 09:18 PM
Did anyone else notice the referee left the ball on the pitch at full time ? Couldn't even get that right.

Borderhibbie76
01-04-2017, 09:31 PM
Not really sure what you mean by not supporting him but I'd be quite happy if he left tomorrow.

I'm not suggesting we should sack him but I've got big concerns about the amount of goals we score.

If that makes me daft then so be it.
Strongly disagree with you all about opinions but he has almost completed was stubbs failed to do twice...if u remember we finished 3rd last year....he deserves a shot in the Prem imo

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

greenlex
01-04-2017, 09:41 PM
Did anyone else notice the referee left the ball on the pitch at full time ? Couldn't even get that right.

Yup

The Green Goblin
01-04-2017, 09:49 PM

Like for example, getting us promoted?

Hibby Bairn
01-04-2017, 10:03 PM

End of thread. That's it. Nothing more.

MWHIBBIES
01-04-2017, 10:06 PM
I find it very hard to believe someone who goes every week could honestly think we've played dreadful football all season. It has not been pretty at times, that is for sure, but we have also played some brilliant stuff and scored some excellent goals. We're much harder to beat than we have been since I've started watching Hibs. 3 home games to go, a semi final and 2 big away trips. Get right behind Lennon and his team, this season could end very well indeed.

Brightside
01-04-2017, 10:17 PM
Lennon will get us up - no doubt. But we have been very poor in far too many games this season. He was the perfect manager for the job at hand. But make no mistake we are playing so bloody awful football that is ignored as we are winning a poor league.

Boyle89
01-04-2017, 10:29 PM
Thank god a manager saying it as it is. Ref was utter pish today and not just for us. If these are the refs for the future then bring back the Maltese guys (were they from Malta?).

wookie70
01-04-2017, 10:33 PM
The ref was poor but Stevenson was a good deal more than a yard away in the pen incident from what I saw and I thought we were relatively poor in the first half albeit the better side.

northstandhibby
01-04-2017, 10:36 PM
Thank god a manager saying it as it is. Ref was utter pish today and not just for us. If these are the refs for the future then bring back the Maltese guys (were they from Malta?).

I couldn't make the game today for family reasons but from what I've read the match officials were rank rotten. I like the fact Lenny says it as it is and how he took on the press after the Morton game. Fair play to Lenny for his honest approach. I'd love him to stay next year post promotion.

glory glory

Nakedmanoncrack
01-04-2017, 11:36 PM
You've posted this nonsense before, so can you back it with any proof or is just anti Lennon crap?

How do you prove or disprove a possibility? :confused:

Somebody else mentioned an ''anti-Lennon bandwagon'', people ''wanting him sacked'' etc, I'm not aware of ANYONE calling for him to be sacked, there is no bandwagon, no ''Lennon-haters''.

Closing down debate by applying such labels as 'anti-Lennon' etc doesn't serve much purpose to me.

PiemanP
02-04-2017, 12:43 AM
Mcgeoch booking aside I didn't think the ref was too bad today. If the boot was on the other foot we'd all be screaming for a pen too - ball was basically fired at Stevenson's face but his hands wee raised.

Dunbar Hibee
02-04-2017, 04:03 AM
Got a lot of time for Lennon as our manager, sticks up for the club and clearly has the passion. There is no getting away from the fact that we have played pretty crap football for the majority of the season though.

southern hibby
02-04-2017, 05:25 AM
Neil hung up his boots years ago. He can only utilise the players in the squad he has got.

Can't argue with what you say, however he took our team at the start of the season that was playing good attractive attacking football ( Bronby home and away comes to mind) and has transformed it into what it is now to watch.

GGTTH

eastcoasthibby
02-04-2017, 06:54 AM

Your right to an extent but every decision that the ref or linesman makes impacts on the game. Ie: if a centre half gets away with holding a forward stopping them from jumping or moving, early on they do it all the time it stops the forward from influencing the game, likewise if everytime a midfielder breaks with the ball and gets pulled back or brought down it stops the flow of the move, disrupts the game and influences the game, these things are happening week in and week out and refs are doing nothing about it ..today was no different and if you add the fact that almost any co tact with a Hibs player making a challenge and he gave them free kicks ..not so keen when it was on our players. If the challenge on Cummings had been at any other time that was a penalty !!
Having said all of that he didn't influence thee sitter Graham missed nor the fact Cummings didn't stick his foot in to knock in the cut back by Graham, or our players missed great heading chances, or Lewis did his usual and in a fantastic position ballooned a cross to the corner flag. The penalty he eventually gave, epitomised his totally inept and poor decision making performance so like in every other game, where they absolutely do make a difference in the game, especially with ourselves as we seem to get targeted by teams who will do anything to disrupt us from playing.
I am not naive enough to blame refs for some woeful performances from is but think we suffer more than anyone from bad decision-making and just very poor refereeing and linesman decisions or non decisions.

hibsitis
02-04-2017, 08:27 AM
FFS

What a crock o s***
Why?

The mark of a good manager is that he outperforms his budget. By what criteria should we judge Lennon?

BoomtownHibees
02-04-2017, 08:28 AM
Why?

The mark of a good manager is that he outperforms his budget. By what criteria should we judge Lennon?

Winning the league is his one and only objective for this season so let's judge him on that

hibsitis
02-04-2017, 08:35 AM
Equally theres no rule says it has to be pretty either.

What would your preference be? Saying you don't care as as we go up doesn't cut it because if we can't play decent football in this league it doesn't fill me with confidence for the future. Nor does his posturing to deflect attention from or woeful performances.

hibsitis
02-04-2017, 08:38 AM
Winning the league is his one and only objective for this season so let's judge him on that

With a budget probably 5 times Jim Duffy's that's kind of the minimum we should expect! We should judge Lennon on the style in which it's achieved to have any guide for how he's likely to perform next season.

BoomtownHibees
02-04-2017, 08:41 AM
With a budget probably 5 times Jim Duffy's that's kind of the minimum we should expect! We should judge Lennon on the style in which it's achieved to have any guide for how he's likely to perform next season.

You judge him on "style" all you want. I'm happy to judge him on meeting what he set out to do from the start of the season

Sioux
02-04-2017, 09:18 AM

Judge him on style? Are you on drugs or what? Style points are for ice dancing or in the diving pool. Judgement for Hibs this season confined to winning the league. Nowt else.

And another thing, how do you define 'outperforming a budget'? If you mean Celtic should win the league, the huns second, hertz third, we're fourth etc etc etc, what the point of playing the games? All you'd need to do is count up the money at the start of the season and hand out the trophy to the team with the most cash. In those circumstances there would be no outperforming a budget. So, if Hibs finished third would we be outperforming or would hertz be under-performing?

McIntosh
02-04-2017, 09:36 AM
Why?

The mark of a good manager is that he outperforms his budget. By what criteria should we judge Lennon?Delivery of primary objective. When he delivers this and I have every confidence he will that is what he will be judged on, that achievement.

Borderhibbie76
02-04-2017, 09:47 AM
Would some in here rather we played pretty stuff like we did under Stubbsy and finished a distant 3rd again in Championship. I like everyone else loved Stubbsy and he will always be a legend thanks to the cup win but his style in this division was hopeless. Look at our respective records v Falkirk under lennon compared to under stubbs...that proves the case in point. Games like yesterday we lost under Stubbsy (see alloa away twice) yet under lennon we don't play great but grind out a point. Yes it's not always pretty or appealing I agree but the objective is promotion and we are nearly there...to me that's all that matters this season.

The Green Goblin
02-04-2017, 10:20 AM
Can't argue with what you say, however he took our team at the start of the season that was playing good attractive attacking football ( Bronby home and away comes to mind) and has transformed it into what it is now to watch.

GGTTH

Again, a wonderful SC win aside, that "attractive, attacking football" failed to get us promoted two years in a row, we also lost the Bronby tie you mentioned and he has "transformed" it into a league/promotion-winning team with a bit (not all) of the steel and strength which has been missing for years. We have also trounced the yams out the cup and are a game away from a shot at a second consecutive SC win. I'm really not sure what you are complaining about.

GreenNWhiteArmy
02-04-2017, 10:25 AM
Would some in here rather we played pretty stuff like we did under Stubbsy and finished a distant 3rd again in Championship. I like everyone else loved Stubbsy and he will always be a legend thanks to the cup win but his style in this division was hopeless. Look at our respective records v Falkirk under lennon compared to under stubbs...that proves the case in point. Games like yesterday we lost under Stubbsy (see alloa away twice) yet under lennon we don't play great but grind out a point. Yes it's not always pretty or appealing I agree but the objective is promotion and we are nearly there...to me that's all that matters this season.

Exactly

2 years of pretty nice football under Stubbsy has brought back this patronising attitude towards anyone that doesn't play "football". in my lifetime I'm lucky if hibs have had 6 seasons of playing good football.

Neil Lennon was hired to do the job Alan Stubbs failed at twice. Gain promotion to the top flight. If we have the players (international recognition is deserved according to some on here) then we should have no problem in the top flight.

Barring a week or so in Dec - we've been top all season eh? Not bad going in my eyes. I'm grateful we have a manager like Neil Lennon in charge

SirDavidsNapper
02-04-2017, 10:27 AM
Exactly

2 years of pretty nice football under Stubbsy has brought back this patronising attitude towards anyone that doesn't play "football". in my lifetime I'm lucky if hibs have had 6 seasons of playing good football.

Neil Lennon was hired to do the job Alan Stubbs failed at twice. Gain promotion to the top flight. If we have the players (international recognition is deserved according to some on here) then we should have no problem in the top flight.

Barring a week or so in Dec - we've been top all season eh? Not bad going in my eyes. I'm grateful we have a manager like Neil Lennon in charge

Me too. Lennon would walk into any job in the country bar the uglies

superfurryhibby
02-04-2017, 10:31 AM
Very pleased to have Lennon. Last season, when we faltered we were losing games under Stubbs. This season we are fighting it out and getting draws. It isn't pretty at times and it can be frustrating, but we are taking a step towards promotion every game. That is good enough for me at this point. Next season can wait. We just need to get this one over the line.

bingo70
02-04-2017, 10:33 AM
Exactly

I find this attitude infuriating to be honest.

Why does it need to be attractive football or a good side?

If you play good attacking football you'll score goals so will be difficult to beat. I wouldn't say Stubbs team falls into that category but that's certainly what we should be striving for imo.

I read on here last night we've score 47 goals this season compared to Hearts who scored 88 when they got promoted. 47 goals in this division is a pitiful amount and imo that's unlikely to improve next year against better teams.

superfurryhibby
02-04-2017, 10:48 AM

If you play good attacking football you'll score goals so will be difficult to beat. I wouldn't say Stubbs team falls into that category but that's certainly what we should be striving for imo.

I read on here last night we've score 47 goals this season compared to Hearts who scored 88 when they got promoted. 47 goals in this division is a pitiful amount and imo that's unlikely to improve next year against better teams.

Of course good football and success would be the desired status for Hibs. However, I've been going to matches since 1970 and like the greenandwhitearmy guy, can genuinely say that I've only seen exhilerating football for a fraction of those seasons and even then the best of these teams only delivered one major honour. Turnbull's team played the football nd scored goals, but ultimately came up short.

We do have issues as a team. Our failings have been clear these past three seasons. Under Stubbs we played prettier football, won the cup and failed in the league. This season we will be promoted and are in with a shout in the cup again.

I'll take what we have and hope we can build on it, but I would reign in the expectation levels. Being realistic is how I cope with being a Hibby.

GreenNWhiteArmy
02-04-2017, 10:50 AM

My attitude is that the only thing relevant this season is promotion. Which we are on course to do. We beat hearts more convincingly this season. We've got a better record against Falkirk. The only thing we've not had a great deal of is games against the premiership sides to compare ourselves against like we did last season.

Goals scored is an embarrassing stat and as it stands I'm due to lose a £20 bet and pay to dnipro kids as I said our top 3 strikers would get 60 BETWEEN them haha. That being said, service to them has been utterly shocking.

Defensively we are better this season. Next season will be a different challenge entirely. Certain teams will come and attack us and leave it open. Others will killie will want to battle and that's where the likes of Bartley will be important.

I've never once said I'm happy with what I watch every week,but what I watch every week is effective. A few weeks ago people were saying we'll be a match for Aberdeen and I'd agree. That's not the attitude of people that think we'll be struggling next season

Smartie
02-04-2017, 11:01 AM
I think our defensive form is really encouraging.

No team has ever achieved anything whilst giving cheap goals away and I think our goalkeepers, centre-halves, full-backs (not wing backs) and defensive midfielders are absolutely superb. We have possibly the most solid base in my time watching Hibs, and I think we'll appreciate them even more playing at a higher level.

IMO we don't even need to think about this part of our team going forward. I suppose with Ambrose's loan finishing and McLean's short contract finishing we maybe need to look at the injury-proneness of people in these positions and ensure we have enough cover, but this is just not a part of the team we should be looking to improve.

We need to rid ourselves of the delusion that we must always play with reckless abandon, flair and pile bodies forward. We need to do what it takes to score more goals than the opposite team, and we've fallen badly short in this department this season imo (as well as the past 2 seasons). I do think we need a major overhaul of the wide midfielders, attacking midfielders and forwards as what we currently have simply won't cut it in the premier league (they've not really cut it in the Championship but our good defensive form will see us over the line).

I think Lennon has possibly stopped just short of being a Terry Butcher this year. I think he knows many of the players he has aren't good enough but he's also known that he's had to rely on them to get us up. I'd be amazed if he doesn't make massive changes to our attacking players, and I wouldn't be in the least surprised if he sacrificed SJM and Cummings in order to give himself the budget to get the players in who he thinks will carry a greater attacking threat.

RamYer1902
02-04-2017, 11:11 AM

Guys like you are what make this site so hilarious sometimes. Clueless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

weecounty hibby
02-04-2017, 12:26 PM
Does anyone think that the arsenal fans when George Graham was manager and they were winning trophies really gave a **** that it wasn't scintillating football all the time. Remember the "one nil the the Arsenal" chants. Win the league any way we can. Get up, sell loads of STs, get some money available for NL, sign some quality players and then kick on. The club is on the up and up and we just need to get out of this league to really press on

lucky
02-04-2017, 12:29 PM
How do you prove or disprove a possibility? :confused:

Somebody else mentioned an ''anti-Lennon bandwagon'', people ''wanting him sacked'' etc, I'm not aware of ANYONE calling for him to be sacked, there is no bandwagon, no ''Lennon-haters''.

Closing down debate by applying such labels as 'anti-Lennon' etc doesn't serve much purpose to me.

So your making it up? Fake news is the term that's used nowadays. How can asking you back up your statements be shutting down debate?

lucky
02-04-2017, 12:38 PM
We all want scintillating attacking football but reality is we are a hard working competitive second tier Scottish team. At times we've played some great football but apart from JC no one has really contributed on the goal front. I don't think that's down to Lennon we've played with 4 attackers in our last two games it's down to players not taking their chances but the reality is our players are doing the job we want them to do and that's winning the league

Lago
02-04-2017, 03:04 PM
Does anyone think that the arsenal fans when George Graham was manager and they were winning trophies really gave a **** that it wasn't scintillating football all the time. Remember the "one nil the the Arsenal" chants. Win the league any way we can. Get up, sell loads of STs, get some money available for NL, sign some quality players and then kick on. The club is on the up and up and we just need to get out of this league to really press on
Going off topic here, but lived down London way during the era of that Arsenal team, they were great, they were ruthless & unbeatable. Believe me I would take that at ER anytime.

Smartie
02-04-2017, 04:07 PM
Going off topic here, but lived down London way during the era of that Arsenal team, they were great, they were ruthless & unbeatable. Believe me I would take that at ER anytime.

There are different ways to win matches and trophies.

That Arsenal team struck me as a side that knew exactly what they had to do.

This season is a strange one in that it will be judged by one factor only - whether or not we get promoted.

We're far enough in front that these draws will probably do us, and if we scrape up then the season will have been a success. Lennon knows this.

Next year the goalposts move.

I actually think that we have it in us to have a really miserly defence next season. If we could just add a wee bit in attack I think we could do well.

I'd love to see us put a team together that ground out 1-0 wins like that Arsenal team.

And what's often forgotten about that team is that for all it was the defence who always got the credit, they still needed some very good attacking players to get them the 1 goal that led to a 1-0 win.

hibsitis
02-04-2017, 05:02 PM
Judge him on style? Are you on drugs or what? Style points are for ice dancing or in the diving pool. Judgement for Hibs this season confined to winning the league. Nowt else.

And another thing, how do you define 'outperforming a budget'? If you mean Celtic should win the league, the huns second, hertz third, we're fourth etc etc etc, what the point of playing the games? All you'd need to do is count up the money at the start of the season and hand out the trophy to the team with the most cash. In those circumstances there would be no outperforming a budget. So, if Hibs finished third would we be outperforming or would hertz be under-performing?

What I mean is that good managers deliver results their buckets suggest they shouldn't. C.f. Tommy Wright. If you're happy with the performances this season, I guess we just have different standards.

Lago
02-04-2017, 05:06 PM
There are different ways to win matches and trophies.

That Arsenal team struck me as a side that knew exactly what they had to do.

This season is a strange one in that it will be judged by one factor only - whether or not we get promoted.

We're far enough in front that these draws will probably do us, and if we scrape up then the season will have been a success. Lennon knows this.

Next year the goalposts move.

I actually think that we have it in us to have a really miserly defence next season. If we could just add a wee bit in attack I think we could do well.

I'd love to see us put a team together that ground out 1-0 wins like that Arsenal team.

And what's often forgotten about that team is that for all it was the defence who always got the credit, they still needed some very good attacking players to get them the 1 goal that led to a 1-0 win.
Agree with every point you make, that Arsenal team were feared & fearless, Highbury a fortress, want to see all of that at ER.

hibsitis
02-04-2017, 05:17 PM
You judge him on "style" all you want. I'm happy to judge him on meeting what he set out to do from the start of the season

My point is about what we take from this season's performances as a guide to how well we're likely to do next season. I hope I'm proved wrong but I'm not confident based on what I've seen.

basehibby
02-04-2017, 07:05 PM

A substantial minority of Hibs fans would moan and greet if showered with Smarties from Rachel Riley's cleavage because she hadn't taken the blue ones out first.
That apart the vast majority while not seeing him as beyond criticism, recognise Lennon is on the way to achieving the club's aims for the season and appreciate the passion and commitment he brings to the role. I for one am fully behind him and would be disappointed if he didn't see the Hibs job as at least a 3 or 4 year enterprise.

Paisley Hibby
03-04-2017, 08:58 AM

We're in a league full of teams playing horrible, physical, negative football and refereed by crap officials. So what do you expect? We have to (and will) get promoted and I no longer care that we we're doing it ugly.

Nakedmanoncrack
04-04-2017, 01:44 AM
So your making it up? Fake news is the term that's used nowadays. How can asking you back up your statements be shutting down debate?

I'm not aware that there is a requirement to back up statements of opinion, if so might as well shut the board down.

southern hibby
04-04-2017, 07:18 AM
Again, a wonderful SC win aside, that "attractive, attacking football" failed to get us promoted two years in a row, we also lost the Bronby tie you mentioned and he has "transformed" it into a league/promotion-winning team with a bit (not all) of the steel and strength which has been missing for years. We have also trounced the yams out the cup and are a game away from a shot at a second consecutive SC win. I'm really not sure what you are complaining about.

we did lose the Bronby tie but it was on penalties and we had an attractive team playing football. Yes we are in a league winning position and we are two games from winning the Scottish cup again. However we are struggling and I mean struggling to beat teams in the championship ( as we were at times under Stubbs, though he had The Rangers and Hearts to contend with and it was his first managerial appointment).

There is a steel to the side that wasn't there before. As for complaining I've no personal issues with NL in the slightest but I personally think we should be doing better with our budget against so called championship teams and putting them to the sword. Most fans think Celtic win the league because of their budget and being able to buy in better players, yet our budget against championship teams makes us struggle in some sort of way. Why??

We should in my opinion be doing better than we are or maybe I'm just a perfectionist and think Hibs are not aiming for the heights I feel they should be at ( league wise).

GGTTH