PDA

View Full Version : Story of the Season

Dashing Bob S
01-04-2017, 04:00 PM
Us unconvincing, struggling in most games we should win easily, but the other mugs blowing it.

Morton (like United) now toast, just wasted the home game against us to get into the reckoning, especially as they have a derby against an in-form St.Mirren, fighting to stay up.

Five to go and 9 up on scabby Houston, who needs a miracle.

A big step closer to the title, but largely at the hands of others.

SaulGoodman
01-04-2017, 04:04 PM
We have more points, more wins and a better goal difference than anyone else in the league 😴😴😴

hhibs
01-04-2017, 04:09 PM
Us unconvincing, struggling in most games we should win easily, but the other mugs blowing it.

Morton (like United) now toast, just wasted the home game against us to get into the reckoning, especially as they have a derby against an in-form St.Mirren, fighting to stay up.

Five to go and 9 up on scabby Houston, who needs a miracle.

A big step closer to the title, but largely at the hands of others.

Another dire performance,we will need a massive reshape of the squad from the midfield forward.
Hopefully stagger over the line sooner than later and planning can get started as soon as possible.
For a team with our history of attacking football we really are poor.

SirDavidsNapper
01-04-2017, 04:12 PM
We have more points, more wins and a better goal difference than anyone else in the league 😴😴😴

This

Scorrie
01-04-2017, 04:13 PM

Yep fancy that. That's why we're top

Pretty Boy
01-04-2017, 04:15 PM
I just pray Neil Lennon has plans for a major shift in style next season or it will be a total slog. Hopefully performances this season are just a means to an end.

As I said on the match thread I don't think anyone is unhappy we are top of the league but I don't think discussing the performances and a lot of the results is being unduly negative, there have been many that have ranged from poor to utter dross.

I remember complaining about our league position last year and being told to 'look at the bigger picture'. This year many of the same posters are saying there is no bigger picture, it's all about the league. Some don't see the irony in their position whilst happily pointing out the change in attitude of others

Ozyhibby
01-04-2017, 04:16 PM
Lack of goals means the league is not won yet. It will be but it's taking longer than expected.
Big changes in personnel needed for next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

familyman
This
1 win in last 4 !
Still stumbling along giving everyone else hope..
A lack of a determined driven player to make that difference still absent even after all this time.Rob Jones looked pretty fit at Easter road last week!!

Keith_M

Do you enjoy watching Hibs struggle to score in the league every week and so many draws?

:dunno:

I think we will win the league, maybe with two games to go, but you must admit it's often been really dire fare

Ozyhibby
01-04-2017, 04:22 PM
1 win in last 4 !
Still stumbling along giving everyone else hope..
A lack of a determined driven player to make that difference still absent even after all this time.Rob Jones looked pretty fit at Easter road last week!!

We have plenty determined driven players. It's quality goal scorers we need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Captain Trips
01-04-2017, 04:22 PM
I am happy we are top and if told be 9 clear at this point yeah great but its still not wrong to suggest it really could have been a lot more and been more convincing. We have failed on a number of occasions to finish off some teams.

IMO our attacking options will need serious overhaul next term.

WeeRussell
01-04-2017, 04:25 PM
I'm happy that we look sure things to go up finally, and we've also a cup semi final to look forward to. It's got to that stage with the league that I'm happy to fall over the line as it's been stop start for most of the season in terms of momentum, results and performances.

What I don't like is the arrogance a lot of us seem to have towards this league and everyone else in it. We are not good to watch and we don't hammer teams - but apparently this is everyone else's fault for the way they play and we have to get out this "****ty league". Yes the league is poor, but that's why we're top of it, it's not why we aren't further clear. Sick of hearing excuses about the standard of this league for our own team's failings... wait until we get up and play far better quality teams, then we'll show 'em 🙄

SaulGoodman
01-04-2017, 04:28 PM
Do you enjoy watching Hibs struggle to score in the league every week and so many draws?

I think we will win the league, maybe with two games to go, but you must admit it's often been really dire fare

At no point this season have I ever said I've been happy. All I want is promoted and all I want is a bit of level headedness from some usual suspects here.

I was just saying I don't understand how being 9 points clear, better goal difference and more wins than anyone else in the league is due to other teams and not us.

Onion
01-04-2017, 04:29 PM
Despite Falkirk winning, we are better off after today's results and taken another step closer to the title. Falkirk have some tough games ahead, and Morton were our biggest challengers. Their last 2 losses and draw with Hibs have scuppered them.

Agree, the others have contributed to Hibs winning the title. Lack of goals and goals per chance have been really poor. The up-side is that Lennon & Leanne will be under no illusion that we need to strengthen in the goal scoring dept next season. I'm sure that will happen.

Pete
01-04-2017, 04:29 PM

It's felt like a means to an end at times but the facts are that we are doing the business.

Last season and next season are irrelevant. We need this/ we need that/ Stubbs record blah blah. At the risk of sounding Cathro, this season is this season and next season is next season.

The story of this season is that we are on course for the title and are back at Hampden. Maybe questions to be answered later but right now it's pleasing.

familyman
01-04-2017, 04:30 PM
I am happy we are top and if told be 9 clear at this point yeah great but its still not wrong to suggest it really could have been a lot more and been more convincing. We have failed on a number of occasions to finish off some teams.

IMO our attacking options will need serious overhaul next term.
Yes we need a revamp for sure but just now at this moment we need to hold our nerve and NOT be distracted by the cup this time around..We have created the situation so it is up to the players to stay focussed totally.
We need to make more noise so dig out the throat lozenges for next 3 games.:aok:

AFKA5814_Hibs
01-04-2017, 04:36 PM
Despite Falkirk winning, we are better off after today's results and taken another step closer to the title. Falkirk have some tough games ahead, and Morton were our biggest challengers. Their last 2 losses and draw with Hibs have scuppered them.

Agree, the others have contributed to Hibs winning the title. Lack of goals and goals per chance have been really poor. The up-side is that Lennon & Leanne will be under no illusion that we need to strengthen in the goal scoring dept next season. I'm sure that will happen.

Yep, Falkirk's run in looks tough. Still to play D Utd, Dunfermline and Dumbarton away. The funny thing about this league is that pretty much every team still has something to play for. QoS might think they are probably safe now, but apart from that it's so tight in the bottom half that no game will be easy, which means Falkirk, Morton and Dundee Utd will have tough games every week, which has been shown today with both Morton and Dundee United losing.

Next season we'll need to strengthen massively as we'll not get away what we have this season.

blackpoolhibs
01-04-2017, 04:39 PM
I just pray Neil Lennon has plans for a major shift in style next season or it will be a total slog. Hopefully performances this season are just a means to an end.

As I said on the match thread I don't think anyone is unhappy we are top of the league but I don't think discussing the performances and a lot of the results is being unduly negative, there have been many that have ranged from poor to utter dross.

I remember complaining about our league position last year and being told to 'look at the bigger picture'. This year many of the same posters are saying there is no bigger picture, it's all about the league. Some don't see the irony in their position whilst happily pointing out the change in attitude of others

What a good post PB, which once again has us hoping things are going to get better NEXT season.

I really don't see a great deal of positives APART from we should at last be out of this dire league.

Yet when i suggested we needed at least 5-6 new players, the usual suspects called it bed wetting.

And when you see just from todays game that 2 of our loan players will be gone, Shinnie is also not ours, in my opinion 2 new fullbacks, 2 new wide men and a decent centre forward are must buys, then you have SJM and Cummings who might leave, we are in real need of another rebuilding job unless we want more of the same.

The football has been poor most of this season, but as others have said, its been a means to an end.

Next season has to be better, the supporters will demand better, will it be though?:dunno:

Dashing Bob S
01-04-2017, 04:39 PM

I think he's smart enough to know he has to change it. He obviously has a passion for the club, and I think he will be now be thinking of the stage two, beyond the stage one of 'get us back up by any means necessary.' The first part has been achieved, now onto the second.

It must be very hard to inherit a team of cup-winning legends, knowing that they also aren't haven't good enough to be promoted.

I hate to carp critical, but we've faced an almost unprecedented and sustained onslaught of negativity and incompetence from officials, which obviously has its roots in May 21st. That has been a major factor. Without it I think we'd had been far less tentative in the midfield and upfront and probably won the league as convincingly as the Jambos/Huns did.

Sioux
01-04-2017, 04:41 PM
Another dire performance,we will need a massive reshape of the squad from the midfield forward.
Hopefully stagger over the line sooner than later and planning can get started as soon as possible.
For a team with our history of attacking football we really are poor.

One of the biggest myths since about 1973!

Dashing Bob S
01-04-2017, 04:43 PM
What a good post PB, which once again has us hoping things are going to get better NEXT season.

I really don't see a great deal of positives APART from we should at last be out of this dire league.

Yet when i suggested we needed at least 5-6 new players, the usual suspects called it bed wetting.

And when you see just from todays game that 2 of our loan players will be gone, Shinnie is also not ours, in my opinion 2 new fullbacks, 2 new wide men and a decent centre forward are must buys, then you have SJM and Cummings who might leave, we are in real need of another rebuilding job unless we want more of the same.

The football has been poor most of this season, but as others have said, its been a means to an end.

Next season has to be better, the supporters will demand better, will it be though?:dunno:

Agree with every word of this post. Priority is getting up, after those two seasons in the second tier and the cup bounce. We need to thinking of not just staying up (which this team could do) but pushing on and thriving.

It is a rebuilding job, not two ways about it, and I reckon Lennon has the savvy to see that and balls to do it.

With his pedigree, I expect a top four finish, and much more attacking verve and pace.

Heisenberg
01-04-2017, 04:46 PM
Agree with every word of this post. Priority is getting up, after those two seasons in the second tier and the cup bounce. We need to thinking of not just staying up (which this team could do) but pushing on and thriving.

It is a rebuilding job, not two ways about it, and I reckon Lennon has the savvy to see that and balls to do it.

With his pedigree, I expect a top four finish, and much more attacking verve and pace.

My main worry is the work Lennon has done in the transfer market so far. He's signed well with the emergency loans from Celtc due to his connections and Marciano was a great deal but that aside its been pretty woeful.

I have no idea how next season will go if we get up. Lennon will certainly need to have us playing a whole lot better than we have been for the majority of this campaign.

Dashing Bob S
01-04-2017, 04:51 PM
My main worry is the work Lennon has done in the transfer market so far. He's signed well with the emergency loans from Celtc due to his connections and Marciano was a great deal but that aside its been pretty woeful.

I have no idea how next season will go if we get up. Lennon will certainly need to have us playing a whole lot better than we have been for the majority of this campaign.

Addressed the pace issue with Humphries - jury out due to injury

Graham has disappointed, but he was cover for Holt, who hasn't set the heather on fire, but did a reasonably effective job over the piece.

lord bunberry
01-04-2017, 04:54 PM
We're stumbling over the line, but we'll get there eventually. It still surprises me that we were so inactive in the January window. Lennon will get us up and then the hard work of bringing in around 4 good first team regulars will start.

c31
01-04-2017, 04:56 PM
I think the players are suffering from the early start due to the europa games. Add to that, dealing with the cup win. I think our players look drained. Just get over the line is the orders, no matter how.

Roxyhibee
01-04-2017, 04:58 PM
Pretty certain the teams in this league are tougher to beat this season than previous two. Add to that is the fact we are very weary of the Championship now. It's definitely getting to us and we look stale.

But that's not a total excuse, - we have simply been poor (and quite lazy) in some games and I expect Lennon to bring in a new set of players for the SPL, in which I still believe we will be top 4.

I also think Cummings and McGinn will stay with us next year and thrive up there.

Heisenberg
01-04-2017, 05:00 PM
I think the players are suffering from the early start due to the europa games. Add to that, dealing with the cup win. I think our players look drained. Just get over the line is the orders, no matter how.

I'm not buying another tiredness excuse tbh. We heard the same last season too. These players should have more than enough ability in them to have the league wrapped up by now. As it is we are 9 clear and looking good to win it but it's not exactly been convincing. Huge improvement needed next season.

truehibernian
01-04-2017, 05:01 PM
2 wins from 5 games will see us promoted. It's timely that St Mirren are hitting form as they play Falkirk, Morton and Dundee Utd before us. Next week Utd face Falkirk in a real '6 pointer'.

I think we'll get wins v Raith, QotS, and Ayr and a draw v Morton.

blackpoolhibs
01-04-2017, 05:02 PM

We played 2 games in July??????

We have the biggest squad, and the most expensive one too. This is to help when hopefully playing some extra games.

We seem to invent a new excuse every few months with Hibs, when the reality is we've just a bunch of average players who are slightly better than the dross we play every week.

California-Hibs
01-04-2017, 05:04 PM
Story of the season for me is we're champions. Done, dusted, finetto.

Would I rather we done it in style rather than limping over the line? Of course.
However there was one sole objective this season and we've achieved it. Lennon will know fine well he'll need to drastically improve the squad in the summer for the Premier League and he will.

Onion
01-04-2017, 05:07 PM
We're stumbling over the line, but we'll get there eventually. It still surprises me that we were so inactive in the January window. Lennon will get us up and then the hard work of bringing in around 4 good first team regulars will start.

Bigger picture, we should not lose sight of how far we've come as a club since the dark days of Butcher. That Cup Win has been a massive monkey off the club's back. You cannot over-estimate the impact it has had on the club., players, fans and perceptions others have of Hibs such as the media, other clubs and Yams. It has potential to transform Hibernian FC and catapult us toward to top of the Premiership. Maybe not next season but quickly.

Lennon seems to have grown into the Hibs job and is much more likely to hang around for a few seasons now. And in Leanne, we've one of the best CEO's in Scotland who'll not rest on her laurels.

shetlandhibee
01-04-2017, 05:08 PM
I think he's smart enough to know he has to change it. He obviously has a passion for the club, and I think he will be now be thinking of the stage two, beyond the stage one of 'get us back up by any means necessary.' The first part has been achieved, now onto the second.

It must be very hard to inherit a team of cup-winning legends, knowing that they also aren't haven't good enough to be promoted.

I hate to carp critical, but we've faced an almost unprecedented and sustained onslaught of negativity and incompetence from officials, which obviously has its roots in May 21st. That has been a major factor. Without it I think we'd had been far less tentative in the midfield and upfront and probably won the league as convincingly as the Jambos/Huns did.top post :top marks

NAE NOOKIE
01-04-2017, 05:10 PM
Addressed the pace issue with Humphries - jury out due to injury

Graham has disappointed, but he was cover for Holt, who hasn't set the heather on fire, but did a reasonably effective job over the piece.

I have to say I cant see a place for either Holt or Graham in a premiership team ..... Holt's lack of pace, fitness and mobility aren't a huge issue in the championship, they will be in the league above and I certainly cant see the hard working but extremely limited Graham being the man to permanently fill Holt's boots ...... the fact that neither one of them could score in a barrel full of lady parts doesn't help their cause.

Humphries could be a really good addition to the team, but so far that's only on paper with him hardly having kicked a ball for us.

For certain we need at least one goal scoring midfielder, one proven striker at premiership level and a challenge at both right and left back for Gray and Stevenson ..... a lot more than that if we cant hold on to Cummings and McGinn :confused:

Unseen work
01-04-2017, 05:15 PM
A real mistake on Lennons part was his recruitment/lack of recruitment in the summer and January.

We have next to no goal threat both in the players we have and the way we play, no one ever seems to break there neck to get into the box.

I suspect we will spend a lot this summer to get us prepared for next season.

emerald green
01-04-2017, 05:17 PM
I think the euphoria of the Scottish Cup win led some supporters (not them all) into believing winning the Championship would be easy (see nonsense about skooshing) and promotion would have been secured by now. There's not much to choose between most teams in the Scottish Championship IMO.

Maybe when some of them have been watching Hibs for 50 years or so, they will come to realise that Hibs rarely do things the easy way. I think Hibs will eventually stagger over the line, unconvincingly. Not to do so now would be the biggest collapse ever.

Hibs will have to sign better players if/when they do go up next season if they are to compete at the top end of the Premiership. We will maybe get some idea of that when Hibs play Aberdeen later this month, who absolutely slaughtered Dundee on their own pitch 0-7 last night.

Sir David Gray
01-04-2017, 05:21 PM
We absolutely need to have major surgery on that side in the summer because the performances are nowhere near good enough. The number of draws we've had this season is pathetic.

DavidDavidGray
01-04-2017, 05:22 PM
We've been so poor this season apart from the United and Hearts home games and it's been tough to watch. Limping over the finish line thanks to teams around us. Need a player in every position next season. A goalie as Marciano will be gone, a defender as teams shots to goal ratio against us is stupid, a midfielder as they don't score enough and a striker for the same reason!

lord bunberry
01-04-2017, 05:26 PM
We played 2 games in July??????

We have the biggest squad, and the most expensive one too. This is to help when hopefully playing some extra games.

We seem to invent a new excuse every few months with Hibs, when the reality is we've just a bunch of average players who are slightly better than the dross we play every week.
We don't need to invent any excuses. We're top and looking likely to win the league, we're in the semis of the cup. We've been very poor for large parts of the season, but it's almost job done.

My_Wife_Camille
01-04-2017, 07:38 PM
Story of the season is that by 5pm on the Saturday night we are top

calumhibee1
01-04-2017, 07:44 PM

We also have less points, less wins and a worse goal difference than previous seasons in this league. Which pretty much points to exactly what the OP said. The other teams have gifted us this league.

calumhibee1
01-04-2017, 07:50 PM
Story of the season for me is we're champions. Done, dusted, finetto.

Would I rather we done it in style rather than limping over the line? Of course.
However there was one sole objective this season and we've achieved it. Lennon will know fine well he'll need to drastically improve the squad in the summer for the Premier League and he will.

Can I ask what makes you so sure of the last part? His signings have far from set the heather on fire so quite why you're so certain that his signings next season will drastically improve the squad I'm not so sure of.

blackpoolhibs
01-04-2017, 07:54 PM
Can I ask what makes you so sure of the last part? His signings have far from set the heather on fire so quite why you're so certain that his signings next season will drastically improve the squad I'm not so sure of.

It's because we are always going to be better NEXT season.

J-C
01-04-2017, 08:30 PM
Delighted we're going to go up but not delighted with the style of play or the standard some of these players have played this season. I think many of them have let themselves down with the levels they have achieved, instead of pushing on after last seasons cup win, we've plodded along struggling to win just over half of the games so far.

We have been very lucky that no one else has stepped up to the plate and really challenged us, our goal scoring has been abysmal this season, less than 1.5 goals per game is generally not league winning stats, I still say 5-6 new players next season at least.

blackpoolhibs
01-04-2017, 08:33 PM
Delighted we're going to go up but not delighted with the style of play or the standard some of these players have played this season. I think many of them have let themselves down with the levels they have achieved, instead of pushing on after last seasons cup win, we've plodded along struggling to win just over half of the games so far.

We have been very lucky that no one else has stepped up to the plate and really challenged us, our goal scoring has been abysmal this season, less than 1.5 goals per game is generally not league winning stats, I still say 5-6 new players next season at least.
Bed wetter 😱

J-C
01-04-2017, 08:36 PM
Bed wetter 😱

Or realist, happy we're winning this league but so frustrated with the players and performances.

Anyway, I'm away to get a mop :greengrin

Borderhibbie76
01-04-2017, 08:38 PM
We have not been great this season I agree but far too many on here underrate the standard in the championship...results today again proved this league is no cakewalk...the difference between a lot of Championship teams and the majority of the Prem is not that great at all. Yes we could/should be doing better but the standard is not as bad as some posters on here make out

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

blackpoolhibs
01-04-2017, 08:39 PM
Or realist, happy we're winning this league but so frustrated with the players and performances.

Anyway, I'm away to get a mop :greengrin

Exactly 👍

jacomo
01-04-2017, 08:43 PM

Sorry mate but you've been wetting the bed all season. You admitted yourself when the Arabs overtook us for a week.

We all want Hibs to be one of the top teams in the country but we aren't in the top league this season. The target was to win the Championship and we are on course to do that.

Malthibby
01-04-2017, 08:55 PM
We also have less points, less wins and a worse goal difference than previous seasons in this league. Which pretty much points to exactly what the OP said. The other teams have gifted us this league.

Fewer.:grr:
FWIT I don't think anyone's gifted us the league, we just won't let anyone else have it. Someone else on .net has said that the rest of the teams have only won 4 times in the games immediately after playing us this season,
if that's true it might explain why the other teams can't quite keep up. We aren't winning as many games as we would like, or scoring enough goals, but the other teams are battering themselves senseless against us.
Think rope-a-dope, round 8 is coming up.
GG

Babyshamble
01-04-2017, 08:59 PM
Couldn't care less about performances.getting out the ****ty league is all that matters.

snooky
01-04-2017, 09:02 PM

Agreed - and the next priority will be staying up. Heart were promoted with a side full of confidence.
If and when we go up we'll need to rebuild at least half the team.
Some quality front men is a must.
BTW, who was the last young player to come up through the ranks and become a regular?
That's something we've been missing for a while.

WeeRussell
01-04-2017, 10:01 PM
We have not been great this season I agree but far too many on here underrate the standard in the championship...results today again proved this league is no cakewalk...the difference between a lot of Championship teams and the majority of the Prem is not that great at all. Yes we could/should be doing better but the standard is not as bad as some posters on here make out

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Sorry on phone so can't "bold" the part of your quote I'm referring to... but I don't think any results today proved anything.

Performances throughout the season (including many from us) proves that the standard of this league is poor and a good bit behind the division above us. Playing like we are with this team right now will see us nowhere near the top 6.. hence so much talk about revamping the squad.

lord bunberry
01-04-2017, 10:08 PM
It's because we are always going to be better NEXT season.
Would you rather we said we'll be worse next season? I'm familiar with the jam tomorrow philosophy that you like to propose, but the reality is we're in the mix for the cup and the league is in te bag. How much do you want?

Dashing Bob S
01-04-2017, 10:09 PM
Sorry on phone so can't "bold" the part of your quote I'm referring to... but I don't think any results today proved anything.

Performances throughout the season (including many from us) proves that the standard of this league is poor and a good bit behind the division above us. Playing like we are with this team right now will see us nowhere near the top 6.. hence so much talk about revamping the squad.

Agree that the standard in the Championship is poor, but would dispute that, outside of Celtic and Aberdeen, it is a 'good bit' behind the premier. Our results suggest otherwise. I believe the gap is marginal. Very poor Hun and Jambo sides shimmied into top four slots in their promo seasons. Absolutely nothing to suggest we can't do the same.

WeeRussell
01-04-2017, 10:31 PM
Agree that the standard in the Championship is poor, but would dispute that, outside of Celtic and Aberdeen, it is a 'good bit' behind the premier. Our results suggest otherwise. I believe the gap is marginal. Very poor Hun and Jambo sides shimmied into top four slots in their promo seasons. Absolutely nothing to suggest we can't do the same.

I do hope you're right - I just think we're the only team from this league that could trouble the vast majority of those in the league above.. and from what I've seen from us recently, we need to improve to do that. Hence my assessment that this league is a good bit behind the one above.

You're correct about Huns and jambos though, although they wrapped up better championships than us, fairly easily (eventually in the Huns case).

In any case, there's little doubt that we'll see at least a few fresh faces in the summer. My worry would be that we've had midfielders this season to play some decent stuff, and by enlarge we haven't done that.

Anyway - let's get the league and cup won and then we can worry about next season 😆

blackpoolhibs
01-04-2017, 10:37 PM
Would you rather we said we'll be worse next season? I'm familiar with the jam tomorrow philosophy that you like to propose, but the reality is we're in the mix for the cup and the league is in te bag. How much do you want?

I'm very happy with our cup performances, who wouldnt be? The jam tomorrow tag has been promised from manager after manager, and then we had Petrie tell us he had a 5 year plan.

Did that 5 year plan have us playing sheite places like Dumbarton for 3 seasons in a ****in row?

I want much better, you obviously are happy with your lot, much like some of the others who have slept walked watching us to where we are today.

But dont worry, we will be much better NEXT season. :rolleyes: