31-03-2017, 09:22 PM
https://twitter.com/grahamspiers/status/847919074109775872

Radium
31-03-2017, 09:25 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170331/481b428d339eafd2ea7f8db0142d4f97.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeffers
31-03-2017, 09:39 PM
Other than the rumour we all heard but can't repeat anyone got any other ideas what the mistake he made was ?

B.H.F.C
31-03-2017, 09:41 PM
Other than the rumour we all heard but can't repeat anyone got any other ideas what the mistake he made was ?

Going to Rotherham.

jeffers
31-03-2017, 09:43 PM
Going to Rotherham.

We could have told him that before he went there.

Bostonhibby
31-03-2017, 09:44 PM
Going to Rotherham.
[emoji106] Did the same myself once. Aiming at barnsley and left the motorway at the wrong junction.

wazoo1875
31-03-2017, 09:48 PM
[emoji106] Did the same myself once. Aiming at barnsley and left the motorway at the wrong junction.

😂😂😂

yonder1875
31-03-2017, 09:50 PM
Forever a hero.

guthrie01
31-03-2017, 10:01 PM
Forever a hero.

100% :agree:

:gwa:

Ozyhibby
31-03-2017, 10:23 PM
Failed to get us scoring, cost him his job. Lennon has also failed on that front but will survive because we are top. Such is football.

DavidDavidGray
31-03-2017, 10:28 PM
Failed to get us scoring, cost him his job. Lennon has also failed on that front but will survive because we are top. Such is football.

Scored a fair bit did we no, just couldn't hold onto leads or defend corners I thought

Mango Man
31-03-2017, 10:32 PM
Love the guy, has a lot of class about him, used to really enjoy his interviews, and he had a real eye for a player too.

Still find it strange he went to Rotherham though, I'm sure he could have held out for better.

nonshinyfinish
31-03-2017, 10:36 PM
Mistakes he may have made, but he's a Hibs Immortal along with his squad.

Unseen work
31-03-2017, 10:37 PM
I'd have more confidence with him as our manager in the SPL as I did him in the championship.

Hard to compare him with Lennon as the competition in the league being different. That being said we never even finished 2nd last season.

A real legend for us though and someone I will always like.

Stubbs and Lennon would certainly provide an interesting pairing as a management team

Nicho87
31-03-2017, 10:37 PM
Yes for any hibs manager winning the cup to break the hoodoo was always going to give immortality. But for Stubbs, easy to say now, he left far to early. 2 years a manager, he should have built on the squad he built and signed a longer deal.

Will always welcome him back forever in my heart.

However for the time being,

Neil Lennon has the gig. GGTTH

Vault Boy
31-03-2017, 10:41 PM
I love Alan Stubbs. Would be delighted to have him back in the future.

Pete
01-04-2017, 02:23 AM
Scored a fair bit did we no, just couldn't hold onto leads or defend corners I thought

That's what I thought too. Our failure to defend at key moments was our downfall under Stubbs.

you'd think that Lennon would get credit for that off some sections of our support...

7-Zip_Mike
01-04-2017, 06:44 AM
Article

Alan Stubbs spent last night enjoying a quiet refreshment after a day on one of Lancashire’s finest golf courses. A very decent 7-handicap, he’s getting a lot of golf in these days. And the Masters in Augusta is looming, which is whetting his appetite even more.

But, by his own admission, a part of Stubbs still wishes he was at Easter Road. The man who finally landed the Scottish Cup in Leith after 114 painful years last May is brutally honest about his fate. “Winning the Scottish Cup with Hibs is the most satisfying thing that has ever happened to me in football,” says Stubbs. “But then I made a career mistake.”

It still gnaws away at many Hibs fans that, in the weeks following that Hampden triumph, Stubbs chose to leave for Rotherham United rather than stay in Edinburgh. It proved to be a disastrous move, with Stubbs lasting less than five months at the Yorkshire club, who were bottom of the Sky Bet Championship when he was handed his jotters in October. In the period since, the only thing greatly enhanced in his life is his golf.

“I’ve had time to reflect and be honest with myself, on what went wrong, and why it went wrong for me,” says Stubbs. “There is no point in kidding myself: I made the wrong decision in leaving Hibs to go to Rotherham. I’ve had to live with that.

“I had a great structure around me at Hibs; it is a great football club. And winning the Scottish Cup with the Hibs fans that day was amazing. But then I had a decision to make about what next for me.

“I knew about a week after Hampden that there was interest in me. There had been all that reaction, the cup parade, the furore of it all. People have asked me many times, ‘why did you leave Hibs?’ Well, I know now it was a mistake but, after winning the cup, a part of me was asking, ‘how do I top this?’

“Hindsight is a wonderful thing. In hindsight, I now wish I had stayed and let my time at Hibs run its course. But, at the time, I felt it was the right decision to leave. Unfortunately, I chose the wrong club to go to.”

When Stubbs left Hibs aged 44 last summer, his career was on an upward trajectory. He had done well and gained respect previously as the Everton under-21 manager, and in his two eventful seasons at Easter Road he wrote his name indelibly into Hibs’ history. But then he hit the buffers.

“Everything I had at Hibs — the right structure, the right people there — I found I didn’t have at Rotherham,” he says. “Right from the very start I didn’t have the right feel about the club. The budget there was one of the lowest in the league and 60% of it was already spent by the time I got to work on a new team. Then I missed out on some signings and was forced to gamble late on free transfers, when most of the better ‘frees’ had already been snapped up. I was left having to pull rabbits out of a hat.

“I’m not disputing my own responsibility; I made mistakes. But there were circumstances there which didn’t help. When you look at clubs like Rotherham or Leeds United, where there have been five or six mangers in such a short space of time, it can’t all be down to all those managers being poor. The recruitment can’t be that bad. It surely points to something behind the scenes at those clubs not being right.

“I ask myself a lot, ‘why did you leave Hibs?’ I’ve been forced to reflect on it. Of course, if I’d gone to a different club last summer, and things had worked out, then the question wouldn’t come up. I’m hoping Rotherham proves to be a blessing in disguise, and that I’ll be stronger for it in my next job.”

His Hibs experience remains a deep existential moment for Stubbs. Just as eyebrows were raised in Scotland when he left to go to Rotherham, so some English observers had queried his decision to leave Goodison Park in 2014 to go to Easter Road. But Stubbs believes it was the making of him as a manager.

“I don’t think I’ve become a bad manager overnight,” he says. “I had two years at Hibs, my first job as a manager, and we reached a League Cup final, a Scottish Cup final, and two more cup semi-finals. Obviously, we missed out on promotion, which I would have dearly loved, but we won the Scottish Cup and I think I earned pass marks as a manager in those two years.

“I believe I helped move Hibs forward. When I arrived the club had just gone down and it required a total rebuild. We also had to do some major bridge-building with the fans, who had totally lost faith, who had lost that bond with the club. I had to make sure the fans felt like they had their club back.

“In season 2015-16 we had optimism, but we also knew that Rangers were getting their house in order. They were the overwhelming favourites to go up. We were probably also affected by our involvement all the way in the two cup competitions, but I’m not using that as an excuse. Ultimately, we lost out on promotion. Over these two play-off games against Falkirk we were the better team, but it wasn’t to be. It is my one big regret about Hibs. And I’m chuffed to bits today that Lenny will take Hibs up — and he will.”

Saturday, May 21, 2016 will live long in the memory, for all sorts of reasons. The pitch invasion in part marred that Scottish Cup final at Hampden. On the other hand, the beautiful, exquisite rendition of Sunshine on Leith by Hibs fans, like a vast choir in a great cathedral, was one of the greatest sights ever seen in Scottish football. Stubbs carried the Scottish Cup back to Leith.

“I said it often, I wanted to rid Hibs of the image they had: that they’d always fall at the final hurdle, that they didn’t have the stomach for it, the bottle. There had been too much heartache. That was one reason why winning the Scottish Cup at Hampden was so special.

“For me that cup win was all about other people at the club: the players, the staff, the fans. It was about the fulfilment of a dream for them. That is where I got my biggest buzz: from what it meant to others.

“So many questions had been asked, about Hibs’ strength, about Hibs’ character. Well, Hibs rose to it that day; they won the Scottish Cup; they beat Rangers. I think that answered it.

“It was the best feeling I’ve ever had in football. I’ve seen the footage of the Hibs fans that day singing Sunshine on Leith: it was incredibly special. That song is spine-tingling.

“There is a class about Hibs, as there is about Celtic, and about Everton. Some clubs have that class, and some clubs wish they had it, but they don’t.”

Ozyhibby
01-04-2017, 06:54 AM
Puff piece with very little insight. I wish our press would ask more questions on tactical matters etc.

Niffy
01-04-2017, 06:56 AM
Last paragraph says it all :)

H18 SFR
01-04-2017, 07:04 AM
I think it's simply AS keeping his name in the papers and on TV etc to remind chairmen he is still available.

Forza Fred
01-04-2017, 07:18 AM
I think it's simply AS keeping his name in the papers and on TV etc to remind chairmen he is still available.

Yep, once you are pushed off the roundabout, it's easy to be forgotten about.

I really don't know where Alan will get his next managerial gig.

In England he is seen as failing with Rotherham, and while the Scottish Cup means a lot to us, it doesn't carry much weight down there.

He may have to go non league, and hope he can basically build a managerial profile from scratch.

Northernhibee
01-04-2017, 07:21 AM
He's a class act.

Man Down Under
01-04-2017, 07:23 AM
I think on paper it was a good change for him.
He had a few attempts at gaining promotion which was difficult since it was probably the most competitive championship you are likely to see.
He won the Scottish Cup and wanted to leave on a high and perhaps make it down south where his career could progress even further.
It was clearly the wrong club but it's a decision he wouldn't have long to ponder about.
It's a shame but it doesn't take anything away from what he achieved as a manager under Hibs.

Sent from my SM-J200Y using Tapatalk

Waxy
01-04-2017, 07:25 AM

Eh?

CapitalGreen
01-04-2017, 07:28 AM

That's what I thought too. Our failure to defend at key moments was our downfall under Stubbs.

you'd think that Lennon would get credit for that off some sections of our support...

Are goals scored compared the league winners in both Stubbs seasons was poor and we averaged less than 2 goals per game.

2014/15
Hearts - 96 goals (+70 GD)
Hibs - 69 goals (+30 GD)
Difference of 0.75 GPG

2015/16
Rangers - 88 goals (+54 GD)
Hibs - 59 goals (+25 GD)
Difference of 0.81 GPG

MrSmith
01-04-2017, 07:34 AM
Enjoyed reading that 👍 clearly has some affection for us.

Ilovehibs
01-04-2017, 07:49 AM
Loved Stubbsy as a guy. Class act and was a perfect fit with hibs. Just what the club needed at the time he came in. Brought such a positive vibe and lifted everyone when we were at a low ebb.
Immortalised in Hibernian history as the Scottish Cup winning manager and delighted it was such a good man that achieved this honour.
He had our team playing attractive football most of the time-for sure mistakes were made which saw us fail to win promotion.
Hopefully Stubbsy learned from this experience.
He had a tremendous eye for a player and I would love to see him back at Hibs in the future and John Doolan with him top man that he is.

Pretty Boy
01-04-2017, 07:57 AM
Hibs legend.

He played a huge part in dragging this club off it's erse and getting it back on it's feet. Had LD got the wrong manager I daresay she wouldn't be viewed so favourably bit she didn't, she got Stubbs. Of course it's easy to look back with rose tinted glasses but on the whole he did a decent job at Hibs and left a good core for Neil Lennon to inherit, and of course he won the Scottish Cup. The fact he is big enough to admit he made a mistake rather than blame everyone else as others have done makes me respect him even more.

Finally it's piss poor some people get their kicks from posting gossip and rumour about a bona fide Hibs legend.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
01-04-2017, 08:40 AM
Hibs legend.

He played a huge part in dragging this club off it's erse and getting it back on it's feet. Had LD got the wrong manager I daresay she wouldn't be viewed so favourably bit she didn't, she got Stubbs. Of course it's easy to look back with rose tinted glasses but on the whole he did a decent job at Hibs and left a good core for Neil Lennon to inherit, and of course he won the Scottish Cup. The fact he is big enough to admit he made a mistake rather than blame everyone else as others have done makes me respect him even more.

Finally it's piss poor some people get their kicks from posting gossip and rumour about a bona fide Hibs legend.

Its also easy to forget what a low ebb we were at, anf how much work the squad needed.

I remembet recently seeing the hibs team for his first gane against the huns in rhs challenge cup - he carried out major surgery over that first few months.

Absolute legend and sould definitely welcome him back as manager in the future.

wookie70
01-04-2017, 08:52 AM
It may well be a piece to get Stubbs name in the paper but I really enjoyed the way he describes his time at Hibs. He might not have got promotion but we started at the lowest point imaginable and he signed some very good players. He is a class act and is, along with Dempster, a massive part of where we are now. Lennon has kept that going in a different way and we must capitalise by getting promoted and buying well to have a good first season back whre we belong. The potential is huge at the moment and we have to make sure it is realised.

The Leith Dutch
01-04-2017, 09:02 AM
You could argue that Rotherham was a poor choice but I think he did the right thing leaving Hibs.

From his perspective very difficult to see where he could go with us managerially after delivering the Scottish Cup.

Promotion (and looking at this season that's no gimme) was a minimum not to tarnish his reputation somewhat.
To actually enhance his CV he'd need to win more trophys and have us up at the business end of the SPL.

None of the above is impossible but it would be a great achievement and to give it a go he'd have to put on the line his reputation in delivering us the holy ****ing grail.

I can see why he left and for May last year we'll pretty much always think of him as a legend.
If someone offered me the chance to be thought of as a legend by a great club I'd snap their hand off.

Winston Ingram
01-04-2017, 09:17 AM
Are goals scored compared the league winners in both Stubbs seasons was poor and we averaged less than 2 goals per game.

2014/15
Hearts - 96 goals (+70 GD)
Hibs - 69 goals (+30 GD)
Difference of 0.75 GPG

2015/16
Rangers - 88 goals (+54 GD)
Hibs - 59 goals (+25 GD)
Difference of 0.81 GPG

He wasn't a good manager in this league. I really hard to argue otherwise.

He was a superb cup manager and that is also equally hard to argue otherwise.

heretoday
01-04-2017, 09:21 AM
His choice of Rotherham was a poor one but made in haste for his own reasons. He'll be back in Scotland one day I'm sure. His reputation is still good up here.

bigwheel
01-04-2017, 09:23 AM
He wasn't a good manager in this league. I really hard to argue otherwise.

He was a superb cup manager and that is also equally hard to argue otherwise.

Absolutely nonesense. He built his first Year squad from nothing. Did very well as an impressive Hearts set of results ran away with the league

Had one of our longest ever unbeaten run in the second year. Including two cups finals. If it wasn't for mad refereeing we would have been in the play off final. In a season where rangers got their act together to win the league

How you can claim he wasn't a good league manager doesn't compute to me

Swedish hibee
01-04-2017, 10:08 AM
I'll love him forever. He made a real dream come true.

Ozyhibby
01-04-2017, 10:09 AM
Absolutely nonesense. He built his first Year squad from nothing. Did very well as an impressive Hearts set of results ran away with the league

Had one of our longest ever unbeaten run in the second year. Including two cups finals. If it wasn't for mad refereeing we would have been in the play off final. In a season where rangers got their act together to win the league

Finishing behind Falkirk for the first time in 45 years is not good.

Winston Ingram
01-04-2017, 10:35 AM

Very easy. He took us to our lowest league position in my lifetime with playing in an easier league than the the season before.

The first season we played in this league he couldn't work out a way to break down the diddy teams who had no interest playing against us and continued playing a diamond formation that played right into their hands. We also struggled to defend crosses and set pieces and were absolutely fantastic at chucking in late goals against us which happened repeatedly.

So what did he do to change it 2nd year? Next to nothing. Stuck with that stupid diamond formation that the whole league had worked out and we continued to struggle to score and lose goals in the same amateur ways week after week. His inability to learn was a massive measure of his capability as a league manager.

The worst apology for his league record I hear is that 'we were tired cos of the cup runs' which is ridiculous. It's not as if we were travelling to Azerbaijan for a Europa League game, spending hours in airports and nights in hotels and then returning to play a top team at the weekend.

Bar the trip to ICT we barely travelled outside a 50 mile radius and most of the time it was against utter pish.

What people who peddle this nonsense also seem to forget is that Sevco pretty much played the same amount of games and it had no effect on them.

Stubbs stats in this league v the budget he had is very poor. In 2 years in this league, including the play offs he failed to win 33 matches. That's almost a full league season of failing to beat utter dross.

bigwheel
01-04-2017, 10:37 AM
Finishing behind Falkirk for the first time in 45 years is not good.

That's fair. It was disappointing . But it didn't define our season . We were better than them in both play off games - didn't see out the final games and big decisions were bizarre . Perhaps out inability to see out some games was his weakest point . He was far from a perfect manager , struggled to get us out of our poor streak about this time last year - but the post had suggested he was a poor league manager - that view was too black and white for me

Winston Ingram
01-04-2017, 10:43 AM
That's fair. It was disappointing . But it didn't define our season . We were better than them in both play off games - didn't see out the final games and big decisions were bizarre . Perhaps out inability to see out some games was his weakest point . He was far from a perfect manager , struggled to get us out of our poor streak about this time last year - but the post had suggested he was a poor league manager - that view was too black and white for me

We lost the playoff games in the same way we always lost goals to Falkirk. Late & from throws or set pieces. In 2 years he never changed a single thing to deal with that and ended up winning only 2 matches against Houston out of 11.

01-04-2017, 10:44 AM
Stubbs is a great guy. Taking time out to visit seriously ill fans and donating his winners medal to charity shows you the class the man has, an absolute gentleman.

He made a mistake but hindsight is a wonderful thing eh, he made the decision based on what he felt was best at the time. He will always be a legend and will always be given a very warm welcome should he ever decide to come along to ER in the future. This guy gave me the greatest day of my life, I will never be able to thank him enough.

:gwa:

bigwheel
01-04-2017, 10:47 AM
We lost the playoff games in the same way we always lost goals to Falkirk. Late & from throws or set pieces. In 2 years he never changed a single thing to deal with that and ended up winning only 2 matches against Houston out of 11.

Ah there you go again - one side of a debate

Yes we did lose kate goals - but we also had two massive wrong decisions against us - you choose to ignore them

In your other post you talk about lowest league position - yet you ignore our second position above Rangers from an almost start up position when he got the job

You talk about our lost points and ignore the longest unbeaten run , with almost all wins in many many years .

I'm not saying he was perfect , but your position of poor league manager lacks any real balance of view .

blackpoolhibs
01-04-2017, 10:51 AM
It's been said many times before about his team, they failed to get up out this league twice, and finished behind Falkirk in the 2nd tier of aa really poor league.

Yet he had us playing some good stuff AT TIMES, and against teams from the league above and sevco and mini sevco we won more than we lost.

Also winning that cup will always make him along with his backroom staff and the players legends for ever.

I personally wanted him gone, i did not feel he was the right man to get us up, but in saying that, i'd not be averse to him being our manager again in the future if we ever get out of this bloody league.

He can clearly spot a good player, and does like the game played on the deck with a bit of flair.

The football this season bar the odd game has been awful, but surely to god with the teams much weaker andi include us in that, we will go up.

If Lennon stays next season, he needs to put a team on the park that will be better than its been this season.

The funny thing is i'd have been more confident in Stubbs doing that than Lennon, but no confidence in Stubbs taking us up, where i did feel Lennon would?

Smartie
01-04-2017, 10:57 AM
It's been said many times before about his team, they failed to get up out this league twice, and finished behind Falkirk in the 2nd tier of aa really poor league.

Yet he had us playing some good stuff AT TIMES, and against teams from the league above and sevco and mini sevco we won more than we lost.

Also winning that cup will always make him along with his backroom staff and the players legends for ever.

I personally wanted him gone, i did not feel he was the right man to get us up, but in saying that, i'd not be averse to him being our manager again in the future if we ever get out of this bloody league.

He can clearly spot a good player, and does like the game played on the deck with a bit of flair.

The football this season bar the odd game has been awful, but surely to god with the teams much weaker andi include us in that, we will go up.

If Lennon stays next season, he needs to put a team on the park that will be better than its been this season.

The funny thing is i'd have been more confident in Stubbs doing that than Lennon, but no confidence in Stubbs taking us up, where i did feel Lennon would?

We'd had 2 years of watching Championship football so had a fair idea what it took to get promoted.

I think Lennon is a realist whereas Stubbs was a bit of an idealist. We've kept the back door shut under Lennon and these frustrating draws may actually turn out to be the points that get us over the line (games that we'd have lost before).

I actually thought that Stubbs was superb for 18 months, but he had a bad final transfer window and a poor second half (er, Scottish cup win apart) to his second season with some awful form on the road.

I do think that Stubbs would also have got us up this year though. All we had to do was make sure we weren't as bad as the other teams in the league (instead of matching a Rangers or a Hearts) and I think he'd have managed that comfortably.

I'd actually choose Lennon or Stubbs over practically all the managers we've had in my time watching Hibs. Only McLeish or Mowbray would probably be on a level with those two.

Winston Ingram
01-04-2017, 11:09 AM
Ah there you go again - one side of a debate

Yes we did lose kate goals - but we also had two massive wrong decisions against us - you choose to ignore them

In your other post you talk about lowest league position - yet you ignore our second position above Rangers from an almost start up position when he got the job

You talk about our lost points and ignore the longest unbeaten run , with almost all wins in many many years .

I'm not saying he was perfect , but your position of poor league manager lacks any real balance of view .

I'm not disputing that but your trying to put it down to luck which is bollocks.

In 11 games v them he failed to win 9 losing 5, all in the same manner. Once is a chance, twice a coincidence 3 is a pattern. In the 9 games we failed to beat them they were exactly the same.

We did finish above a rotten Sevco side. The same rotten Sevco side that pumped us out the playoffs once they got someone in charge who knew what they were doing.

We did have a big unbeaten run last year but we also had a hu*****us not winning run when we disappeared out the championship race by February and collapsed to a level that saw us finish 3rd.

You seem to be forgetting that the teams we face in this league are rotten. A winning run like should've have been the norm in this league not just a 12 week period to reflect on.

Eaststand
01-04-2017, 11:17 AM
Hibs legend.

A good post PB and especially your last paragraph. Stubbs is a class act who deserves our respect. Some of the posters on here should be ashamed of their sly digs and cheap comments

GGTTH

Ozyhibby
01-04-2017, 11:57 AM
A good post PB and especially your last paragraph. Stubbs is a class act who deserves our respect. Some of the posters on here should be ashamed of their sly digs and cheap comments

GGTTH

I don't think anyone is having sly digs. Stubbs place in Hibs history is secure with the cup win. There is just a recognition that he failed in the league. I don't think there is any animosity towards him at all.

jacomo
01-04-2017, 12:00 PM
Puff piece with very little insight. I wish our press would ask more questions on tactical matters etc.

Really??

Debates about the diamond etc etc have been done to death. What's the point? Stubbs had 2 seasons at Hibs, it's now part of our history.

Much more interesting is the affection that Stubbs holds for our club to this day. There is a lasting bond there.

I hope to meet the guy someday, and I certainly won't be talking about tactics. Instead I'll thank him for what he did for our club - he's a hero.

Eyrie
01-04-2017, 12:13 PM
Really??

Debates about the diamond etc etc have been done to death. What's the point? Stubbs had 2 seasons at Hibs, it's now part of our history.

Much more interesting is the affection that Stubbs holds for our club to this day. There is a lasting bond there.

I hope to meet the guy someday, and I certainly won't be talking about tactics. Instead I'll thank him for what he did for our club - he's a hero.

Isn't that the crux of the debate though?

Does the Cup win forgive all sins, or does the failure to recognise and fix tactical failings mean that it was right from Hibs perspective for Stubbs to move on?

I'll always be grateful to him for the Cup win, but for me it's the latter.

Winston Ingram
01-04-2017, 12:15 PM
Isn't that the crux of the debate though?

Does the Cup win forgive all sins, or does the failure to recognise and fix tactical failings mean that it was right from Hibs perspective for Stubbs to move on?

I'll always be grateful to him for the Cup win, but for me it's the latter.

This

Jack Hackett
01-04-2017, 12:22 PM
I'm not disputing that but your trying to put it down to luck which is bollocks.

In 11 games v them he failed to win 9 losing 5, all in the same manner. Once is a chance, twice a coincidence 3 is a pattern. In the 9 games we failed to beat them they were exactly the same.

We did finish above a rotten Sevco side. The same rotten Sevco side that pumped us out the playoffs once they got someone in charge who knew what they were doing.

We did have a big unbeaten run last year but we also had a hu*****us not winning run when we disappeared out the championship race by February and collapsed to a level that saw us finish 3rd.

You seem to be forgetting that the teams we face in this league are rotten. A winning run like should've have been the norm in this league not just a 12 week period to reflect on.

Quite right....The ref in the first leg knew exactly what he was doing.

essexhibee
01-04-2017, 12:37 PM
If only Lennon had an eye for a player like Stubbs did. Some signings he made.

bigwheel
01-04-2017, 12:40 PM

They are not rotten - you have simply
Decided that we should be "too good" for this league .

Stubbs is so poor in your view - yet it's highly Likely his teams secured more
Points in this league than Lennon's will - even though Lennon is likely to win the league

And my point is not about luck , it's about the fine margin between success and failure - a nuance that you seem to ignore completely

OxoHibby
01-04-2017, 12:42 PM
Hibs legend.

This shouldn't be under estimated. The club was on its erse and despite the resources could have got worse. It needed a major turn around. It has taken a while but stubbs played his part. Also love the last para in the article

calumhibee1
01-04-2017, 12:46 PM
Hibs legend.

:agree: Even before the Scottish cup win I'd say he was probably my favourite Hibs manager in my lifetime. After that day in May I will love that man for the rest of my life. :hibees:gwa:

Winston Ingram
01-04-2017, 02:41 PM
They are not rotten - you have simply
Decided that we should be "too good" for this league .

Stubbs is so poor in your view - yet it's highly Likely his teams secured more
Points in this league than Lennon's will - even though Lennon is likely to win the league

And my point is not about luck , it's about the fine margin between success and failure - a nuance that you seem to ignore completely

Who aren't rotten? What's the difference between fine lines & luck?

I haven't decided anything but I know with our budget last & the prev season we shouldn't have struggled against teams like we did. You could allow him the 1st season but the 2nd in easier league? No chance.

Continually repeating the same mistakes is not fine lines, it's insanity.

It amazing how Hearts & Sevco managed to avoid these 'fine lines' though when they were romping away with this league...

Kato
01-04-2017, 02:49 PM
Who aren't rotten? What's the difference between fine lines & luck?

I haven't decided anything but I know with our budget last & the prev season we shouldn't have struggled against teams like we did. You could allow him the 1st season but the 2nd in easier league? No chance.

Continually repeating the same mistakes is not fine lines, it's insanity.

It amazing how Hearts & Sevco managed to avoid these 'fine lines' though when they were romping away with this league...

Is there a fine line between getting >20 penalties a season and 3 or 4?

Speedy
01-04-2017, 02:56 PM
Stubbs and everyone else involved in the cup win will be remembered as Hibs legends.

However, I wasn't convinced he was the answer and many would have been happy with him sacked if we lost the final. He left at the perfect time.

Winston Ingram
01-04-2017, 03:02 PM
Is there a fine line between getting >20 penalties a season and 3 or 4?

Exactly. If you've not got any wide players who can beat a man, it's going to severely limit your chances of getting any.

Kato
01-04-2017, 03:46 PM
Exactly. If you've not got any wide players who can beat a man, it's going to severely limit your chances of getting any.

Of course. The ref in the play-off thought "hibs don't have any wide men so that means the Falkirk player can play round and round the garden with the ball."

NORTHERNHIBBY
01-04-2017, 04:50 PM
I didn't mind Stubbs moving on. Would have been happy if he stayed but it was his choice. That said, without wishing him to fail it was no real surprise that he was out on his ear so quickly. Not sure that many other managers would have made a better job of it either. Noted that Rotherham got relegated today. Maybe that makes the point.

Lago
01-04-2017, 05:00 PM
He's a class act.
They can't defend balls into their box, quote Houston & he failed to get us out of that league.

brog
01-04-2017, 05:30 PM

For a Hibs fan you use some ridiculous phrases to describe our team. "Pumped" by Sevco!! That would be a 2-1 aggregate loss when the winning goal was subsequently proved to be offside. Personally I think "pumped" much more accurately reflects a 4-0 win over Sevco,our biggest win over these opponents in our history. As that win was inflicted by a team playing the supposedly ludicrous diamond formation however it doesn't fit your agenda. Again you're selective with your stats. You mention a 12 week period, we actually lost 1 game (at Ibrox) in 6 months. You also mention AS failing to win 33 games in 2 seasons. NL has 15 fails already this season & he's not had to play Yams & Sevco 8 times! It's perfectly fine to debate the merits of AS as a manager, personally I think his personal balance sheet is well in credit. What I don't understand is the apparent bitterness towards a rookie manager & a fine man who delivered my greatest moment in 60 years of watching our club.

NAE NOOKIE
01-04-2017, 05:53 PM
For a Hibs fan you use some ridiculous phrases to describe our team. "Pumped" by Sevco!! That would be a 2-1 aggregate loss when the winning goal was subsequently proved to be offside. Personally I think "pumped" much more accurately reflects a 4-0 win over Sevco,our biggest win over these opponents in our history. As that win was inflicted by a team playing the supposedly ludicrous diamond formation however it doesn't fit your agenda. Again you're selective with your stats. You mention a 12 week period, we actually lost 1 game (at Ibrox) in 6 months. You also mention AS failing to win 33 games in 2 seasons. NL has 15 fails already this season & he's not had to play Yams & Sevco 8 times! It's perfectly fine to debate the merits of AS as a manager, personally I think his personal balance sheet is well in credit. What I don't understand is the apparent bitterness towards a rookie manager & a fine man who delivered my greatest moment in 60 years of watching our club.

:top marks

Anybody who was in the frankly disappointing 14,000 crowd for the second leg against SEVCO two seasons ago wont have seen a more one sided Hibs v Huns game in their life and that probably includes the 4 - 0 pumping of them ..... we absolutely battered them and we had no luck whatsoever ...... about as much luck as we had against Falkirk the following season in fact ..... it wasn't just stoicism that encouraged the whole crowd to start applauding the team on the 85th minute that afternoon, we knew the result was an injustice.

In case its being forgotten Alan Stubbs didn't just win us the Scottish Cup, he came within a whisker of being Hibs second most successful manager of all time ....... whatever the ins and outs of his time at the club he is and always will be a club legend .... after that day in May how on earth could he not be?

MWHIBBIES
01-04-2017, 06:02 PM
Exactly. If you've not got any wide players who can beat a man, it's going to severely limit your chances of getting any.Or you have wide players who beat men but they just get

1. Booked for diving after getting fouled like McGeouch did today
2. Clearly fouled and a goal kick given like what happened to Boyle today.

Refs are an absolute joke in this country.

Andy74
01-04-2017, 06:46 PM
If only Lennon had an eye for a player like Stubbs did. Some signings he made.

Some rubbish too mind you.

Col2
01-04-2017, 06:56 PM
I would not be surprised if he is the Hibs manager before the summer.

I think Lennon will get us promoted and we might get to another cup final but I am not entirely convinced he will be here for next season and if Leanne and Neil have had any discussions on this then it wouldn't surprise me.

IF this happened then Stubbs, Dolan and Taff would slot in without any fuss.

Centre Hawf
01-04-2017, 07:30 PM
The attitude towards Stubbs by some elements of our support is frankly embarrassing. Finishing 3rd and the run of form the cost us a title is excusable when you remember he took us to two major cup finals in the same season. But he didn't play with wingers or fight with Jim Duffy so we will slate him and be happy with draws and (probably) a smaller points tally.

portohibee
01-04-2017, 08:10 PM
QUOTE]

Listen, I will be forever grateful for that day in May last year, the holy grail ffs, but for one minute think, if SDG hadn't scored and we lost the final, would Stubbs be held in such high regard? If we hadn't won his record in cups and trying ton get us promoted would have been classed as a failure, but , we won, but we should have had promotion too?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cleanyman
01-04-2017, 08:13 PM
Thank you to Stubbs for winning the cup. A Hibernian legend.

But his time has been and gone and we must support our current manager

guthrie01
01-04-2017, 08:41 PM

:top marks Sums it right up

Last season is and most likely will be the best season watching Hibernian of my life.
A season filled with so many highs and a few crushing lows to go along, yes at the end of the day we failed to get promotion but I would spend 10 more years in the Championship if I got anything close to the emotions which I often had last season coming home from matches.

Jim44
01-04-2017, 09:01 PM
:top marks Sums it right up

Last season is and most likely will be the best season watching Hibernian of my life.
A season filled with so many highs and a few crushing lows to go along, yes at the end of the day we failed to get promotion but I would spend 10 more years in the Championship if I got anything close to the emotions which I often had last season coming home from matches.

:paranoid:

Fishwicke
01-04-2017, 09:09 PM
Stubbs and everyone else involved in the cup win will be remembered as Hibs legends.

However, I wasn't convinced he was the answer and many would have been happy with him sacked if we lost the final. He left at the perfect time.
I honestly believe that he had made his mind up and agreed to leave hibs before the cup final. Possibly thinking that due to a failure to get promotion and having no confidence in a cup win, there would be calls for him to go. Now he regrets leaving because we won the cup and he now realises that he could still have been in football.

essexhibee
01-04-2017, 09:17 PM

Tough to get them all right. I'd argue he got in some of our best signings in years and years (McGinn, McGregor for example).

I don't think any of Lennon signings (excluding the emergency loans) where he has identified a player himself have made us any stronger than last year imo.

stantonhibby
01-04-2017, 09:18 PM
Tough to get them all right. I'd argue he got in some of our best signings in years and years (McGinn, McGregor for example).

I don't think any of Lennon signings (excluding the emergency loans) where he has identified a player himself have made us any stronger than last year imo.

Marciano?

keep the faith
01-04-2017, 09:20 PM

He made very very few bad signings.

matty_f
01-04-2017, 10:15 PM

:top marks:

houstonhibbee
02-04-2017, 12:54 AM
I would not be surprised if he is the Hibs manager before the summer.

I think Lennon will get us promoted and we might get to another cup final but I am not entirely convinced he will be here for next season and if Leanne and Neil have had any discussions on this then it wouldn't surprise me.

IF this happened then Stubbs, Dolan and Taff would slot in without any fuss.
I would be....

Dunbar Hibee
02-04-2017, 03:50 AM
Legend. Absolute legend. Class in abundance also.

Winston Ingram
02-04-2017, 02:04 PM

There's absolutely no doubt Stubbs could get the players up for the big games. Hearts, Sevco, cup games - no problem.

The problem is however, is this league is the opposite. We rarely have big games and pretty much every week we were playing against teams that have no interest in in doing anything but shutting up shop. Set up narrow and hope to catch us at a set piece.

Stubbs set up played right into the opposition's hands. The diamond was narrow and crowded and we couldn't defend a set piece. This happened constantly for 2 years.

Meanwhile Hearts record v us & Sevco was 50-50 but they romped the league by pumping the crap in this league comfortably. Played 2 wide players, stretched the pitch and destroyed them. They were winning games by scoring 4,5,6 and even 10. Sevco did the same. Plenty width, McKay, Wagnorn, Tavernier, Wallace. Pumped all the crap and had the league pretty much sewn up by the end of Feb. Meanwhile we just passed the ball in front of back 10's.

As for Lennon, it's hard to argue he's done much better, but saying that this is pretty much Stubbs squad and he's constantly bemoaning it's ability to get up for the little games.

brog
02-04-2017, 06:42 PM
There's absolutely no doubt Stubbs could get the players up for the big games. Hearts, Sevco, cup games - no problem.

The problem is however, is this league is the opposite. We rarely have big games and pretty much every week we were playing against teams that have no interest in in doing anything but shutting up shop. Set up narrow and hope to catch us at a set piece.

Stubbs set up played right into the opposition's hands. The diamond was narrow and crowded and we couldn't defend a set piece. This happened constantly for 2 years.

Meanwhile Hearts record v us & Sevco was 50-50 but they romped the league by pumping the crap in this league comfortably. Played 2 wide players, stretched the pitch and destroyed them. They were winning games by scoring 4,5,6 and even 10. Sevco did the same. Plenty width, McKay, Wagnorn, Tavernier, Wallace. Pumped all the crap and had the league pretty much sewn up by the end of Feb. Meanwhile we just passed the ball in front of back 10's.

As for Lennon, it's hard to argue he's done much better, but saying that this is pretty much Stubbs squad and he's constantly bemoaning it's ability to get up for the little games.

Fair enough but unfortunately the facts don't back you up. With the much maligned diamond AS won 21 games both seasons. We will have to win our last 5 games to match that this season. Similarly with goals, we will definitely not equal the 14/15 season total & we probably won't match last season's either. You say it's mostly Stubbs' team but the key difference is upfront. Dom, Stokes & Keatings scored 29 goals last season. Holt, Graham & Keatings have scored less than 50% of that (14) so far this season. So the failure to break down a packed defence can't really be laid at the door of the diamond formation. It's much more that we're too slow, too predictable & insufficiently inventive in our build up play. That & the fact that our support strikers, in particular, H & G, lack the quality of Malonga & Stokes.

West lower
02-04-2017, 06:56 PM
Alan Stubbs gave Hibs fans our pride back after years of crap . For that, he was a success at Hibs for me.

SirDavidsNapper
02-04-2017, 06:59 PM
Alan Stubbs gave Hibs fans our pride back after years of crap . For that, he was a success at Hibs for me.

This. Gutted he didn't get us up but he gave me some of my best memories supporting Hibs

Winston Ingram
02-04-2017, 06:59 PM
Fair enough but unfortunately the facts don't back you up. With the much maligned diamond AS won 21 games both seasons. We will have to win our last 5 games to match that this season. Similarly with goals, we will definitely not equal the 14/15 season total & we probably won't match last season's either. You say it's mostly Stubbs' team but the key difference is upfront. Dom, Stokes & Keatings scored 29 goals last season. Holt, Graham & Keatings have scored less than 50% of that (14) so far this season. So the failure to break down a packed defence can't really be laid at the door of the diamond formation. It's much more that we're too slow, too predictable & insufficiently inventive in our build up play. That & the fact that our support strikers, in particular, H & G, lack the quality of Malonga & Stokes.

We did win 21 games in both seasons but let's be honest, that'd be a fantastic total in the top league but not this one.

I'm not disputing we could break teams down with the diamond, I'm just saying that it was a lot harder. We'd rarely win games by more than a goal. As a result the likelihood of us conceding an equaliser increased which we did on countless occasions.

The champions both seasons put teams away early. I lost count of the times Hearts and Sevco were out of site in their games while we were still slogging away in front of yet another parked bus.

Sir David Gray
02-04-2017, 08:43 PM
Failing to win promotion in successive seasons was disappointing but the Scottish Cup win was the greatest day of my life and for that he is a legend in my eyes and all of the negatives become irrelevant.

Alan Stubbs is a legend of this club and is welcome back at Easter Road any time.

basehibby
02-04-2017, 08:53 PM

That's a load of balderdash, cobblers and baloney as well. Nothing cost him his job - he decided to leave, for whatever reasons, but left, and remains a Hibs hero - not a chance he was sacked for not scoring enough as the three goals scored at Hampden on 21st May would have secured him a job for as long as he wanted it.

As for the interview - "after winning the cup, a part of me was asking, ‘how do I top this?’.......at the time, I felt it was the right decision to leave. Unfortunately, I chose the wrong club to go to.”I thought as much and cannot argue he would not have had a hard time topping the cup win. But re Rotherham being the wrong club - I could have told him that for nothing! For a small club like Rotherham their best chance of staying in the English Championship would have been to emulate Wimbledon of the 90s rather than Stubbs' expansive style - a match doomed to failure I thought. Funny how someone that knows enough about football to build the team that broke Hibs' 114 year cup hoodoo - and did it with great style - could not see something as blindingly obvious as that!

Sir David Gray
02-04-2017, 09:24 PM

Nothing "cost him his job" as he wasn't sacked. Leeann Dempster said at the time that she tried in vain to convince him to stay so that is blatantly untrue.

Andy74
02-04-2017, 09:37 PM

You have to give Lennon credit for Commons and Ambrose. Why wouldn't you?

Martziano, Holt and Shinnie have all contributed. Laidlaw has done okay when needed overall.

Stubbs had plenty of misses too given he was allowed to sign lots of players. Three keepers that were pretty debatable in impact, Sinclair, Dagnall, Watson, Feruz, Dje Dje, Kennedy and Eckersley for example.

Smartie
02-04-2017, 09:56 PM

Martziano, Holt and Shinnie have all contributed. Laidlaw has done okay when needed overall.

Stubbs had plenty of misses too given he was allowed to sign lots of players. Three keepers that were pretty debatable in impact, Sinclair, Dagnall, Watson, Feruz, Dje Dje, Kennedy and Eckersley for example.

I remember seeing a "worst players signed by Ferguson for Man Utd XI" and it was absolutely bowfin.

It's harsh to judge Stubbs by his worst signings. Yes, as with every other manager he bought his turkeys, but to be fair to him he tended to move them on quickly.

One of Lennon's biggest problems is the high bar that's been set by the quality of signing that Stubbs made. Whilst there's a lot of "glass half empty" posters who would denigrate most of Lennon's signings, a decent case could be made that just about all of them have been successful.

Davy Mac
02-04-2017, 11:16 PM
From what I'm lead to believe Stubbys will be back in the summer and Lenny will be off.

Dempster will also be away.Probably Sevco as she has been approached before.

Ah well, onwards and upwards

GGTTH

CapitalGreen
02-04-2017, 11:21 PM
From what I'm lead to believe Stubbys will be back in the summer and Lenny will be off.

GGTTH

So the person responsible for hiring/firing managers is leaving in the summer but we're also going to fire and then hire a manager. Will Leeann do that before she leaves, or do you know what her yet to be chosen replacement would do?

This would be a chin scratcher if it wasn't absolute boll*cks.

houstonhibbee
02-04-2017, 11:44 PM

GGTTH
Utter crap

Centre Hawf
02-04-2017, 11:48 PM

Stubbs had to rebuild an empty squad following relegation. Some were 100% signed quickly to get people in. But also some lf those names were not failures and were half decent. Kennedy was clearly a talented boy but struggled to find a role in 3-5-2. Dje Dje was average and better than the dross we saw line up when we got relegated. Eckersley never played and was purely for cover. Dagnall actually started his Hibs career really well but the elusive first goal failed to come and killed his confidence.

Lennons signings have been iffy imo. Shinnie has been disappointing due to iconsistency. Holt hasnt scored anywhere near enough and he clearly doesnt rate Graham himself.

HoboHarry
03-04-2017, 12:10 AM

GGTTH
Stop making stuff up, just makes you look daft.

Dunbar Hibee
03-04-2017, 12:49 AM

GGTTH

Hahahahahahaha

Winston Ingram
03-04-2017, 05:57 AM

GGTTH

:faf:

lord bunberry
03-04-2017, 08:15 AM

GGTTH
And where did you hear all this?

pacoluna
03-04-2017, 08:29 AM
I don't understand the "how do I top this" comment. Maybe he wouldn't be topping it but at least if he stayed and got promotion he would be meeting his objective. It was hardly job done nothing else to do here, There was loads still to be done, the job he was here to do wasn't anywhere near complete.

sleeping giant
03-04-2017, 09:06 AM

GGTTH

I'm hoping that you are just gullible and have posted that in good faith.

Andy74
03-04-2017, 09:41 AM
Stubbs had to rebuild an empty squad following relegation. Some were 100% signed quickly to get people in. But also some lf those names were not failures and were half decent. Kennedy was clearly a talented boy but struggled to find a role in 3-5-2. Dje Dje was average and better than the dross we saw line up when we got relegated. Eckersley never played and was purely for cover. Dagnall actually started his Hibs career really well but the elusive first goal failed to come and killed his confidence.

Lennons signings have been iffy imo. Shinnie has been disappointing due to iconsistency. Holt hasnt scored anywhere near enough and he clearly doesnt rate Graham himself.

As ever with these things you can make a case for any of the signings you want to. They were all signed for a reason, some worked, some didn't.

My very minor point was just that this eye for a player stuff with Stubbs wasn't necessarily true. He did sign well but he signed a fair volume of players and a number of those also didn't work out.

Kato
03-04-2017, 10:14 AM
As ever with these things you can make a case for any of the signings you want to. They were all signed for a reason, some worked, some didn't.

My very minor point was just that this eye for a player stuff with Stubbs wasn't necessarily true. He did sign well but he signed a fair volume of players and a number of those also didn't work out.

Which players didn't work out? What was the ratio? Every manager makes signings that for one reason or another doesn't work out.

NAE NOOKIE
03-04-2017, 10:19 AM

GGTTH

If Lennon decided to leave I wouldn't be surprised to see Stubbs back at ER ..... it would be tempting to replace NL with a manager who knows the club and players well and who is loved by the fans .... but I cant see why NL would want to leave after getting Hibs promoted, so whoever lead you to believe this is probably talking bollox.

As for Leeann Dempster ...... she is probably in the top 10 of UK football club administrators just now, the only thing that would possibly stop a huge club from poaching her is their apprehension at the difference in the size of the job involved between the likes of Hibs and say Aston Villa or Newcastle United. As for SEVCO .... Why on earth would LD want to go to a club where the owner tells blatant lies about the amount of money he is going to spend on it, especially when she is cemented in at a stable club and making a decent wedge every year .... LD isn't stupid, if she does decide to leave it will either be to a job in outside industry or to a club that isn't a basket case.

jacomo
03-04-2017, 11:19 AM
If Lennon decided to leave I wouldn't be surprised to see Stubbs back at ER ..... it would be tempting to replace NL with a manager who knows the club and players well and who is loved by the fans .... but I cant see why NL would want to leave after getting Hibs promoted, so whoever lead you to believe this is probably talking bollox.

As for Leeann Dempster ...... she is probably in the top 10 of UK football club administrators just now, the only thing that would possibly stop a huge club from poaching her is their apprehension at the difference in the size of the job involved between the likes of Hibs and say Aston Villa or Newcastle United. As for SEVCO .... Why on earth would LD want to go to a club where the owner tells blatant lies about the amount of money he is going to spend on it, especially when she is cemented in at a stable club and making a decent wedge every year .... LD isn't stupid, if she does decide to leave it will either be to a job in outside industry or to a club that isn't a basket case.

I would say the step up from Motherwell to Hibs is pretty big. Let's just hope she enjoys working in Edinburgh for a few years yet.

Beefster
03-04-2017, 11:24 AM

GGTTH

You've made a right tit of yourself there.

JDHibs
03-04-2017, 12:03 PM
2014/2015 2nd in the league/ league cup quater final/ scottish cup semi
2015/2016 3rd in the league/ league cup final and scottish cup winners

Not a bad record to leave on. Great manager in the cups, too stubborn in the league. Refused to move away from the diamond that didnt work. Refused to play with width.

He was never going to beat winning the cup with us, anything else would have tarnished his reputation. Thats why i think he jumped as soon as he could. Rotherham was never a good choice.

Islington Hibs
03-04-2017, 12:59 PM

please correct me if I am wrong but according to the last report and accounts the top paid Hibs director was paid circa £120k. that was presumably her. In today's mad world that is peanuts. While few Scottish clubs could out bid that a similar role in the English championship would probably pay around £500k with substantially more in the EPL. I really hope she stays as I would credit her as the critical factor in our recent success but we can't beat that.....

Itsnoteasy
04-04-2017, 07:29 AM
please correct me if I am wrong but according to the last report and accounts the top paid Hibs director was paid circa £120k. that was presumably her. In today's mad world that is peanuts. While few Scottish clubs could out bid that a similar role in the English championship would probably pay around £500k with substantially more in the EPL. I really hope she stays as I would credit her as the critical factor in our recent success but we can't beat that.....

I wonder what she was paid at Motherwell. Did she move for the money or to put herself on a bigger platform. In any walk of life if you are good at your job there is always the chance to better your self financially.

Islington Hibs
04-04-2017, 08:18 AM
I wonder what she was paid at Motherwell. Did she move for the money or to put herself on a bigger platform. In any walk of life if you are good at your job there is always the chance to better your self financially.

I suspect she thought she had taken Motherwell as far as she could and Hibs offered more opportunity. Hibs are growing and indeed the franchise, to use a term I hate, is literally at a 40 year high, and I hope she still sees upside potential.

In a Scottish context there is perhaps only two jobs that could be available that offer more potential- Scotland and The Rangers. Some role with Scotland might be interesting, simply as the 'Scotland' football brand has so materially under- performed over the last 20 years. The Rangers would be very risky- opportunity for sure but realistically so many issues and could end in massive tears....

Not sure if she is well known enough for a major team in England, but clearly there is cash and opportunity there.

Lets hope she stays with us for years to come. I think she has done a brilliant job at many levels.

Phil MaGlass
04-04-2017, 08:25 AM
For me i think Lennon would love the chance to play the huns, sellik and hertz next season, cant see him going anywhere, but, if he were to go, it should be after we beat sellik in the Scottish Cup final.:agree:
Oh and I wouldnae mind seeing stubbsy back in his place if he does go.