PDA

View Full Version : Alex Harris

Unseen work
30-03-2017, 01:03 AM
What is the story with him? Is he just returning from injury? I noticed he played and scored for the under 20s on Tuesday.

I'm not saying he is the solution, but when we are struggling to break teams down, have a lack of pace and a lack of attacking options surely he is worth a run out?

He provides pace and can actually deliver a good ball/ lift his head and see a pass.

When Humphrey etc are fully fit it will be tough for him.

But tonight you look at our attacking options on the bench tonight:

1 striker - Graham
3 centre mids - Fyvie, Mcgeouch and Martin
2 centre halfs - mclean and Forster
1 goalkeeper - laidlaw

For being top of the league, and a team that struggles for goals of late, that bench is really concerning and next to no pace/attacking threat.

Forza Fred
30-03-2017, 01:59 AM
What is the story with him? Is he just returning from injury? I noticed he played and scored for the under 20s on Tuesday.

I'm not saying he is the solution, but when we are struggling to break teams down, have a lack of pace and a lack of attacking options surely he is worth a run out?

He provides pace and can actually deliver a good ball/ lift his head and see a pass.

1 striker - Graham
1 goalkeeper - laidlaw

For being top of the league, and a team that struggles for goals of late, that bench is really concerning and next to no pace/attacking threat.

I would be very surprised if Harris figures in Hiibs first team again.

Hibspirational
30-03-2017, 11:26 AM
Slightly off topic, but when is Humphrey due back?

Scouse Hibee
30-03-2017, 11:56 AM

1 striker - Graham
1 goalkeeper - laidlaw

The story is been there,done that,tried that, tried it again it never worked, sadly has proved to be not good enough.

30-03-2017, 11:59 AM
I feel bad for Harris - he had a really promising start at Hibs until some Motherwell hatchet man broke him in half and he has never recovered.

hughio
30-03-2017, 12:02 PM
I feel bad for Harris - he had a really promising start at Hibs until some Motherwell hatchet man broke him in half and he has never recovered.

:agree:

Pretty Boy
30-03-2017, 12:10 PM
There are hundreds of players who at some stage of their development show potential but never actually fulfil it. Harris is just another.

Some go on to enjoy a good career at a more appropriate level of the game whilst others drop out altogether. Whatever Harris does next I wish him well but I hope Hibs are aiming higher than the player Harris is now if we are to kick on.

JDHibs
30-03-2017, 12:19 PM
Harris showed enough at QoS last season that would suggest he could be a squad player for us. Sure someone said he had one of the highest assist numbers in the league, maybe wrong, 4 goals and 9 assists (27apps) in a mid table team. Thats a better return than any our current midfielders i think in terms of goal involvement.

Said the same to my mates when we discussed this, always looks a bag of nerves for us, like hes scared to get shouted at if he makes a mistake. Doesnt help the fans are instantly on his back.

I do however agree hes worth a run out, Keatings isnt a winger. Boyle isnt a winger. Shinnie isnt a winger. First 2 are strikers, Shinnies an attacking mid. All being used as wide men due to poor transfer activity. Harris is a winger. He has pace, he will be direct, he can cross a ball and he can score.

NL obviously seen something in him or he would be out on loan like Stanton. I hope he gets a run in the team and maybe puts in 1 or 2 good performances, unfortunately hes now a fans scapegoat. WIll probably leave, end up at Dundee, start and play their continually and do well for himself.

Bristolhibby
30-03-2017, 12:49 PM
There are hundreds of players who at some stage of their development show potential but never actually fulfil it. Harris is just another.

Some go on to enjoy a good career at a more appropriate level of the game whilst others drop out altogether. Whatever Harris does next I wish him well but I hope Hibs are aiming higher than the player Harris is now if we are to kick on.

Remember Ross Caldwell?

J

Smartie
30-03-2017, 12:57 PM
Harris showed enough at QoS last season that would suggest he could be a squad player for us. Sure someone said he had one of the highest assist numbers in the league, maybe wrong, 4 goals and 9 assists (27apps) in a mid table team. Thats a better return than any our current midfielders i think in terms of goal involvement.

Said the same to my mates when we discussed this, always looks a bag of nerves for us, like hes scared to get shouted at if he makes a mistake. Doesnt help the fans are instantly on his back.

I do however agree hes worth a run out, Keatings isnt a winger. Boyle isnt a winger. Shinnie isnt a winger. First 2 are strikers, Shinnies an attacking mid. All being used as wide men due to poor transfer activity. Harris is a winger. He has pace, he will be direct, he can cross a ball and he can score.

NL obviously seen something in him or he would be out on loan like Stanton. I hope he gets a run in the team and maybe puts in 1 or 2 good performances, unfortunately hes now a fans scapegoat. WIll probably leave, end up at Dundee, start and play their continually and do well for himself.

He has the ability to do all of the above but he hasn't done any of it in a Hibs shirt for a very long time.

There's something just not right about Harris and I think he needs to continue his development elsewhere, for his own sake.

I think he freezes in front of his own fans, who aren't known for their patience.

JDHibs
30-03-2017, 01:21 PM
He has the ability to do all of the above but he hasn't done any of it in a Hibs shirt for a very long time.

There's something just not right about Harris and I think he needs to continue his development elsewhere, for his own sake.

I think he freezes in front of his own fans, who aren't known for their patience.

Touched on your points in my post.

Probably be best for his career to move on. Look at Booth, another youngster made out as a scapegoat, now playing well in the league above us week in and week out.

calumhibee1
30-03-2017, 01:36 PM

Boyle is everything you could possibly want in a winger. :confused: He ripped the Morton LB apart last night. As someone else said, Harris offers nothing. The fact he has pace and can deliver a decent ball are irrelevant, he CAN do it, but he hasn't outran, beat a man, or crossed a decent ball into the box at Hibs since Pat Fenlon was here.

JDHibs
30-03-2017, 01:39 PM
Boyle is everything you could possibly want in a winger. :confused: He ripped the Morton LB apart last night. As someone else said, Harris offers nothing. The fact he has pace and can deliver a decent ball are irrelevant, he CAN do it, but he hasn't outran, beat a man, or crossed a decent ball into the box at Hibs since Pat Fenlon was here.

Cant tell if you're being serious with this statement?

You really want a winger with 1 trick (pace), no composure, no end product and becomes irrelevant if he cant beat his man for pace?

I cant fault Boyles attitude, work ethic or his drive, but hes a very limited football player.

If Boyle is all you look for in a winger, then im glad you dont make any decisions regarding players at our club...

Scouse Hibee
30-03-2017, 01:40 PM

Probably be best for his career to move on. Look at Booth, another youngster made out as a scapegoat, now playing well in the league above us week in and week out.

What's with this made a scapegoat nonsense? Made a scapegoat for what exactly? Both players you have mentioned proved not to be good enough to forge a place in our first team.Despite numerous chances Harris has proven he's not good enough. It really is as simple as that, if he goes on to become a better player good luck to him.No one can say he wasn't given a chance at Hibs.

Smartie
30-03-2017, 01:41 PM

I can't make my mind up about Boyle's end product.

He's absolutely brilliant at beating his man and hitting the byeline. We look far more threatening when he plays and he's given many a fullback a torrid time this season.

Once he's beaten his man though, we still don't look dangerous enough. I don't know whether it is Boyle, the strikers or the midfielders who are to blame but we just don't look like scoring when he has the ball.

Of all our wide players and forwards, he's actually the one I'd most like to hold on to. Obviously Cummings' goal threat is great but I feel that if we lost Cummings at least we'd get a few quid for him to give us a solid budget for new forwards.

I get the feeling that with different forwards, Boyle might get assist after assist.

Or maybe he'd just play crap ball after crap ball to better strikers?

Pretty Boy
30-03-2017, 01:46 PM

Who made Booth a scapegoat?

Booth played the 2nd or 3rd game of Stubbs 1st season and was then dropped out for Lewis the following week for a 2-1 defeat at Alloa. Peope tore strips of Stubbs for that decision.

Booth was always held in remarkably high regard considering how sporadic his 1st team appearances were and I certainly don't remember him being made a scapegoat for anything.

JDHibs
30-03-2017, 01:48 PM
What's with this made a scapegoat nonsense? Made a scapegoat for what exactly? Both players you have mentioned proved not to be good enough to forge a place in our first team.Despite numerous chances Harris has proven he's not good enough. It really is as simple as that, if he goes on to become a better player good luck to him.No one can say he wasn't given a chance at Hibs.

Is it these players fault that they are picked by the manager? No. Yet the fans decide that booing said player at every mistake is the best way to react.

Hence, scapegoat.

Harris came on earlier in the season, when Qos beat us at Easter Road, he had 5 minutes, tried to drive us forward, got barged off the ball, tried again and lost it. Fans were screaming abuse at him. After the game there was a thread on here about how useless Harris was, he came on for 5 minutes at 3-1 down, makes sense right?

Was that needed? Does that help anyone? Hes not deciding to play. Hes being asked by a manager to go on and play. Stevenson is another scapegoat over the years. Now its Holt.

Craig_HFC
30-03-2017, 01:49 PM

You really want a winger with 1 trick (pace), no composure, no end product and becomes irrelevant if he cant beat his man for pace?

I cant fault Boyles attitude, work ethic or his drive, but hes a very limited football player.

If Boyle is all you look for in a winger, then im glad you dont make any decisions regarding players at our club...

If you can't see that Martin Boyle is very much a winger and you think he's a striker then you need your eyes/head examined.

CallumLaidlaw
30-03-2017, 01:49 PM

I wouldn't say Booth was ever made out as a scapegoat. He looked promising, there was high expectations but it never quite worked for him. If rumours are true, his attitude at Hibs wasn't great. Glad for him that he's screwed the nut and is doing well as he always had ability.

Harris has just never developed. He got that injury and has never progressed since it. Hibs fans have never given him a hard time at matches, quite the opposite in fact, in the hope that he could recapture that early form. Lennon was really keen to involve him this season as he saw something in him, but again it clearly hasn't worked. Maybe at a smaller club he doesn't feel any pressure. That's down to his character rather than anything else.

easty
30-03-2017, 01:54 PM

NL seen something in him or he would be out on loan like Stanton. I hope he gets a run in the team and maybe puts in 1 or 2 good performances, unfortunately hes now a fans scapegoat. WIll probably leave, end up at Dundee, start and play their continually and do well for himself.

I don't think it's correct to say he's a fans scapegoat. I don't see anybody blaming Harris for anything, or slating him for not being in the team. He does nothing when he's in the team though, and if he cannae hack the pressure of playing for Hibs then that's an Alex Harris problem, not a Hibs fans treatment of him problem.

NL maybe does see something in him, but obviously not much cos he's still no getting any game time despite us being lacking in natural wide players.

He's done at Hibs, I'd maybe give him a few games from the start after we've confirmed the title, but I wouldn't expect much from him to be honest.

easty
30-03-2017, 01:59 PM

He was never made a scapegoat.

Also, is he playing well week in week out? Where are you hearing/seeing/reading that?

supermcginn
30-03-2017, 02:04 PM
He's not the answer but he surely couldn't contribute much less than keatings did last night on the left.

JDHibs
He was never made a scapegoat.

Also, is he playing well week in week out? Where are you hearing/seeing/reading that?

33 apps this season for Partick in all comps. Also worth noting he has 6 assists, which bar Shinnie, would be the most in our team...

Peevemor
He's not the answer but he surely couldn't contribute much less than keatings did last night on the left.

I think he could.

JDHibs
30-03-2017, 02:10 PM
If you can't see that Martin Boyle is very much a winger and you think he's a striker then you need your eyes/head examined.

Is that why Boyle himself has stated several times, under both Stubbs and Lennon that he sees himself as a striker, not as a winger?

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/martin-boyle-at-his-best-through-the-middle-says-hibs-boss-1-4273207

Oh also this, NL admitting he and his back room staff see him as a central player not as a winger? Does NL need his eye/head examined aswell?

Boyle is playing as a winger because its the most effective formation to play against teams in this leagueand we dont have anyone else to do it at present.

Scouse Hibee
30-03-2017, 02:11 PM
Is it these players fault that they are picked by the manager? No. Yet the fans decide that booing said player at every mistake is the best way to react.

Hence, scapegoat.

Harris came on earlier in the season, when Qos beat us at Easter Road, he had 5 minutes, tried to drive us forward, got barged off the ball, tried again and lost it. Fans were screaming abuse at him. After the game there was a thread on here about how useless Harris was, he came on for 5 minutes at 3-1 down, makes sense right?

Was that needed? Does that help anyone? Hes not deciding to play. Hes being asked by a manager to go on and play. Stevenson is another scapegoat over the years. Now its Holt.

Total nonsense for all the reasons I have previously mentioned. Always amazes me how some fans memory plays tricks on them and they always remember players to be better than they actually were. Think you need to rethink the scapegoat comment,being berated for a poor performance is not being made a scapegoat. Are fans not allowed to voice their displeasure any more. As for Holt once again you have read about people being annoyed at his performance and or witnessed it at games, that's not being made a scapegoat at all. Now if we didn't get promoted and we all came out and blamed Holt that would be making him a scapegoat.

easty
30-03-2017, 02:12 PM
33 apps this season for Partick in all comps. Also worth noting he has 6 assists, which bar Shinnie, would be the most in our team...

I'm not disputing that he's playing week in week out, you said he's playing well. Where are you getting that from?

I haven't heard anything about Callum Booth this season, but I've nae interest in Partick Thistle. Who's saying he's playing well?

I dunno what point you're making with the bit in bold. He's had more assists than McGinn and McGeogh and Gray and Stevenson and Bartley, so we should get Booth back and play him instead, despite them being better?

JDHibs
30-03-2017, 02:22 PM
I'm not disputing that he's playing week in week out, you said he's playing well. Where are you getting that from?

I haven't heard anything about Callum Booth this season, but I've nae interest in Partick Thistle. Who's saying he's playing well?

I dunno what point you're making with the bit in bold. He's had more assists than McGinn and McGeogh and Gray and Stevenson and Bartley, so we should get Booth back and play him instead, despite them being better?

My point is hes created more than most of our players. Why would we bring Booth back? I dont remember stating that? Its a pretty good stat when you are trying to show someone someone is playing well, how many assists have Stevenson and Gray got this season in a lower division when in parts of this season they have been our only width?

Partick have the 4th best defence in the top league. Pretty impressive for a team on their budget. Watch a partick game and listen to the commentators. I did when they played Hearts, pretty sure he set up 1 goal and was a constant threat from the back.

easty
30-03-2017, 02:44 PM
My point is hes created more than most of our players. Why would we bring Booth back? I dont remember stating that? Its a pretty good stat when you are trying to show someone someone is playing well, how many assists have Stevenson and Gray got this season in a lower division when in parts of this season they have been our only width?

Partick have the 4th best defence in the top league. Pretty impressive for a team on their budget. Watch a partick game and listen to the commentators. I did when they played Hearts, pretty sure he set up 1 goal and was a constant threat from the back.

I don't want to watch a Partick game, or want to listen to one, unless it's against Hibs.

I dunno how many assists Gray or Stevenson have, not that it's relevant to Callum Booth, who is inferior to both.

I'm no really sure what it is you're trying to get across about Booth to be honest. He's playing well cos you seen him in one game v Hearts, and he's got 6 assists, but you don't want to bring him back, but he was a scapegoat (which he wasn't).

JDHibs
30-03-2017, 02:56 PM
I don't want to watch a Partick game, or want to listen to one, unless it's against Hibs.

I dunno how many assists Gray or Stevenson have, not that it's relevant to Callum Booth, who is inferior to both.

I'm no really sure what it is you're trying to get across about Booth to be honest. He's playing well cos you seen him in one game v Hearts, and he's got 6 assists, but you don't want to bring him back, but he was a scapegoat (which he wasn't).

I merely stated Harris should move on to another club for the best of his career, like Booth, who as ive stated, is playing week in and week out in a team in the league above us now.

Then everybody jumped on what i said..so i defended myself, simple really. Imo both are being or have been used as a scapegoat.

wookie70
30-03-2017, 04:32 PM
If he is fit he would be a very good option for the bench. I like Harris and he certainly has quality. He got plenty of assists last year in this league, more than some of our very rated midfielders, playing for a team who finished well below us.

30-03-2017, 04:43 PM
I feel sorry for Harris. He made a very promising, exciting breakthrough into the first team in 2013 and I, along with most folk thought we had a real gem on our hands. His display at Hampden in that mental Falkirk 4-3 semi-final was superb. Unfortunately he took a horrible injury that required a very long recovery process which stopped his career and development in its tracks. He was never really the same after that, I don't know if its his confidence thats gone or if his breakthrough (much like many other youngsters) was just a flash in the pan and actually the reality is that he simply just isn't good enough for this level.

Theres definatly a player in there but his level is probably mid/lower championship tbh as he had successful loan spells at clubs in this catagory.

LaMotta
30-03-2017, 04:55 PM
Is that why Boyle himself has stated several times, under both Stubbs and Lennon that he sees himself as a striker, not as a winger?

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/martin-boyle-at-his-best-through-the-middle-says-hibs-boss-1-4273207

Oh also this, NL admitting he and his back room staff see him as a central player not as a winger? Does NL need his eye/head examined aswell?

Boyle is playing as a winger because its the most effective formation to play against teams in this leagueand we dont have anyone else to do it at present.

:agree:

Andy74
30-03-2017, 04:57 PM
I merely stated Harris should move on to another club for the best of his career, like Booth, who as ive stated, is playing week in and week out in a team in the league above us now.

Then everybody jumped on what i said..so i defended myself, simple really. Imo both are being or have been used as a scapegoat.

I'm not sure your understanding of what scapegoat means is the same as mine.

calumhibee1
30-03-2017, 05:22 PM

Does it matter that he has one trick? Sproule only had one trick and he was outstanding for us. Boyle beats people for fun with his pace, is full of energy and actually has a very good first touch. Ok, he's not everything I'd look for in a winger, that would be Gareth Bale, Ronaldo or Messi. But he's more than good enough as a winger in Scottish football.

Deansy
30-03-2017, 06:33 PM
When Harris first started he was excellent, the best prospect in a Hibs-jersey for years I thought - what really impressed me was his interviews, he came across as being very mature, intelligent and sensible for his age - WHY he seems to have allowed that one (admittedly awful and vicious) tackle to derail his career is heart-breaking !. Maybe he'd benefit from some form of 'Psycho-therapy' ?

Unseen work
30-03-2017, 07:44 PM

Boyle is 100% a winger

Jonnyboy
30-03-2017, 07:45 PM

Or mine

BSEJVT
30-03-2017, 07:57 PM

As far as I am concerned a scapegoat is someone held liable for the failings of others.

I couldn't agree that this was the case with Alex Harris

I think Alex Harris suffers from the same overblown type of criticism far too often directed at our home grown players.

Its almost as if they are made to suffer as they didn't turn out to be as good as we expected them to be.

Abusing players does no-one any good (says a man with previous) but I could see some being likely to do so to some of the absolute mercenaries we have suffered in past years.

I cant for the life of me see it being warranted for boys we have brought through from the youths, whose only failing like so many other youths is that they may have fallen just short of the required standard.

Its almost like some are just waiting for them to fail and take great delight when they do so.

For the record I wanted Alex Harris to succeed more than any Hibs youth player I can recall for many years as when he broke through he offered us something different and that we had been crying out for for years.

I have my doubts it can happen but am not sure that I am quite ready to give up yet

fishybeaver
30-03-2017, 07:58 PM
Boyle superb attitude, great pace and a great let down at the final ball or with his finishing, Harris I think has a better final product and is a more intelligent player. Shame he has been out injured for four months this season

The Leith Dutch
30-03-2017, 08:10 PM
I can't make my mind up about Boyle's end product.

He's absolutely brilliant at beating his man and hitting the byeline. We look far more threatening when he plays and he's given many a fullback a torrid time this season.

Once he's beaten his man though, we still don't look dangerous enough. I don't know whether it is Boyle, the strikers or the midfielders who are to blame but we just don't look like scoring when he has the ball.

Of all our wide players and forwards, he's actually the one I'd most like to hold on to. Obviously Cummings' goal threat is great but I feel that if we lost Cummings at least we'd get a few quid for him to give us a solid budget for new forwards.

I get the feeling that with different forwards, Boyle might get assist after assist.

Or maybe he'd just play crap ball after crap ball to better strikers?

Bit in bold is what I genuinely can't decide about the team as a whole right now.
Our shots and shots on target numbers are pretty much spot on for the kind of domination most of us feel Hibs should be showing in this league. But then the goals return is shocking. You'd aim for around a 40-50% goal return for your shots on target which would if we were anywhere near that would have us scoring 2 - 3 a game rather than 1.5.

Never sure whether it's poor chances or poor conversion.

Skol
30-03-2017, 08:12 PM
Harris has had enough chances and isnt good enough IMO.

There were flashes in the early days that gave me hope that he would be a player, but I had some doubts. The player who returned post injury lacked any confidence and apeared to do his best to avoid the ball and if he did get it was looking to get rid of it as quickly as possible.

While I know boyle has problems with his final ball, he is at least putting pressure on defenders and making them work.

Harris when he has played is like being a man down

I know that all sounds harsh, but until he builds some confidence in himself he will not make it. Should have a look at the way Morton's number 11 played last night.

NORTHERNHIBBY
30-03-2017, 08:44 PM
Seems a shame for this lad that he is linked to a bad tackle and worst style of management by Butcher and ultimately unfulfilled potential. Might be in his best interests and the club's that he moves on and leaves the bad stuff behind him.

Jonnyboy
30-03-2017, 09:42 PM
As far as I am concerned a scapegoat is someone held liable for the failings of others.

I couldn't agree that this was the case with Alex Harris

I think Alex Harris suffers from the same overblown type of criticism far too often directed at our home grown players.

Its almost as if they are made to suffer as they didn't turn out to be as good as we expected them to be.

Abusing players does no-one any good (says a man with previous) but I could see some being likely to do so to some of the absolute mercenaries we have suffered in past years.

I cant for the life of me see it being warranted for boys we have brought through from the youths, whose only failing like so many other youths is that they may have fallen just short of the required standard.

Its almost like some are just waiting for them to fail and take great delight when they do so.

For the record I wanted Alex Harris to succeed more than any Hibs youth player I can recall for many years as when he broke through he offered us something different and that we had been crying out for for years.

I have my doubts it can happen but am not sure that I am quite ready to give up yet

I too would like Boozy to come good again but my confusion over the scapegoat term was your use of it in relation to Calum Booth. I don't recall that ever being the case with Calum :confused:

weecounty hibby
30-03-2017, 09:56 PM
No scapegoating from me but I think his chances with Hibs are gone. He has had enough chances and apart from a brief spell at the beginning he has been proven to be not good enough for Hibs

Scouse Hibee
30-03-2017, 09:56 PM
I too would like Boozy to come good again but my confusion over the scapegoat term was your use of it in relation to Calum Booth. I don't recall that ever being the case with Calum :confused:

JB I thought the scapegoat comment regarding Booth came from JDHibs.

Nicho87
30-03-2017, 10:00 PM
He came on at Easter road as a sub few months back I seem to remember, he didn't offer anything, looked lost. Wish him all the best, be amazed if he himself doesn't see a change required, same with Stanton.

Jonnyboy
30-03-2017, 10:02 PM
JB I thought the scapegoat comment regarding Booth came from JDHibs.

Ah, sorry :embarrass

Andy74
30-03-2017, 10:05 PM
Ah, sorry :embarrass

Old age doesn't come itself.

Jonnyboy
30-03-2017, 10:26 PM
Old age doesn't come itself.

Never a truer word ..... :greengrin

BSEJVT
31-03-2017, 06:24 AM

You are more confused than you think JB:greengrin

It wasn't me who used the word scapegoat

All I did was explain what I understood by it

You are correct though it wasn't