PDA

View Full Version : Dylan McGeouch

Hibeewilly
30-03-2017, 12:32 AM
Why was our best midfielder on the bench tonight? Unbelievable. I'm beginning to think there is some truth in these rumours that Lennon doesn't like him. When McGeouch plays Hibs play. Bewildering - If he is not fit don't put him on the brnch but if he is he's the first name on the team sheet for me

The Harp Awakes
30-03-2017, 12:37 AM
Why was our best midfielder on the bench tonight? Unbelievable. I'm beginning to think there is some truth in these rumours that Lennon doesn't like him. When McGeouch plays Hibs play. Bewildering - If he is not fit don't put him on the brnch but if he is he's the first name on the team sheet for me

Very surprised to see Dylan on the bench tonight. Having said that, he went down very heavily on the touchline on Saturday and looked to have taken a strain. I suspect Lennon didn't want to risk him tonight for fear of another lengthy injury.

ivan03
30-03-2017, 12:52 AM
I expected Dylan to start tonight, think the only reason I could give would be because Saturday was his first game in a while, he looked very tired at the end, maybe lennon didn't want to push him too much with another game a couple of days later

HibbiesandtheBaddies
30-03-2017, 12:53 AM
I expected Dylan to start tonight, think the only reason I could give would be because Saturday was his first game in a while, he looked very tired at the end, maybe lennon didn't want to push him too much with another game a couple of days later

:agree:

connerg
30-03-2017, 01:56 AM
Waste of a wage since he signed for Hibs. Always injured or some other excuse. Get rid.

scotiaf
30-03-2017, 02:12 AM
Waste of a wage since he signed for Hibs. Always injured or some other excuse. Get rid.

Very constructive, I wonder if your manager in work will ever say that about you :)

connerg
30-03-2017, 02:35 AM
Very constructive, I wonder if your manager in work will ever say that about you :)

My Line Manager at work does not work for Hibs and either do i. Your point is?

Centre Hawf
30-03-2017, 02:39 AM
Very constructive, I wonder if your manager in work will ever say that about you :) its a fair point he's made. Not one I agree with but I understand why he thinks that. I just hope McGeouch can prove him wrong.

connerg
30-03-2017, 02:45 AM
its a fair point he's made. Not one I agree with but I understand why he thinks that. I just hope McGeouch can prove him wrong.

Sorry but i don't see his point! My point is. Dylan, since he signed for us, has not been the the player he was on loan. Hibs need to get promoted and he's not the player we thought he should be in Scotland's second tier.

houstonhibbee
30-03-2017, 02:51 AM
That's fine for not starting him but no reason not to bring him on when we struggled through the second half

MagicSwirlingShip
30-03-2017, 02:54 AM

Strongly disagree. Dylan is exactly the type of player we should be standing by. A class act when fit and has done more than enough to be given some leeway.

Although he's not got the swashbuckling style of Mcginn, or the pace and skill of Scott Allan, he plays with his head up, is agile, can pick a pass and actually puts his foot on the ball now and again to see if there's anything on.

I'm a big fan of Dylan 🙂

connerg
30-03-2017, 03:04 AM
Strongly disagree. Dylan is exactly the type of player we should be standing by. A class act when fit and has done more than enough to be given some leeway.

Although he's not got the swashbuckling style of Mcginn, or the pace and skill of Scott Allan, he plays with his head up, is agile, can pick a pass and actually puts his foot on the ball now and again to see if there's anything on.

I'm a big fan of Dylan 🙂

All very too infrequent. Has anybody read my first reply?

California-Hibs
30-03-2017, 03:08 AM
Couldn't believe it when I found out he was on the bench! As said, we play much better when he plays!

connerg
30-03-2017, 03:13 AM
Couldn't believe it when I found out he was on the bench! As said, we play much better when he plays!

Yes, great player but does he have the desire?

houstonhibbee
30-03-2017, 03:53 AM
Yes, great player but does he have the desire?
Of course he does. Why would anyone doubt it?
not his fault he wasn't given an opportunity tonight when the game was crying out for his talent

Stoney Hibee
30-03-2017, 04:05 AM
He is a player who more often than not has a positive impact on the team when he plays. As the last couple of years have shown he is injury prone, if the answer is that he can only play 90 mins once a week then we have to live with that.

Let's be honest, if he was never injured and played every week he would not be playing for us.

connerg
30-03-2017, 04:06 AM
Of course he does. Why would anyone doubt it?
not his fault he wasn't given an opportunity tonight when the game was crying out for his talent

Our manager must have thought different. First tackle made on him and he goes down, then subbed. Seen it all too often with Dylan.

houstonhibbee
30-03-2017, 04:39 AM
Our manager must have thought different. First tackle made on him and he goes down, then subbed. Seen it all too often with Dylan.
He played the full game on Saturday and wasn't subbed and wasn't subbed tonight so not sure what point you're trying to make. He has as big a heart as anyone in the team and more skill than any he is just unfortunately injury prone. You think he feigns it for some obscure reason?

JimBHibees
30-03-2017, 06:19 AM

Laughable he was pivotal in us winning the cup and has been tremendous in many games. He has an injury but when he doesnt play it is night and day IMO.

JimBHibees
30-03-2017, 06:20 AM

Are your eyes painted on? :greengrin

Pretty Boy
30-03-2017, 06:21 AM
Didn't expext him to play 2 games in a row after so long out.

What tonight showed is what was already glaringly obvious to most people. We are a far, far better side with a fit Dylan McGeouch in it. Having a player who's 1st thought is to do something positive with the ball quickly and efficiently is exactly what we have lacked for much of the season.

It's probably a forlorn hope but I would love us to get him to the stage where he can play 10-15 games in a row.

Pedantic_Hibee
30-03-2017, 06:21 AM
Suspect this is Lennon's way of teaching him to rid himself of all the injuries that are in his head.

Pretty Boy
30-03-2017, 06:24 AM
Suspect this is Lennon's way of teaching him to rid himself of all the injuries that are in his head.

I really, really hope not.

It won't work and if DM does have a mental issue that he believes he's injured when he's not then being dropped for a few weeks won't change that. Given Neil Lennons own very public battle with mental health issues I thankfully can't see him going down that route.

lugz
30-03-2017, 06:26 AM
Oh my days the lad had a big role in us winning the Scottish cup in may and 10 months later is a waste of a wage. He's had injury problems and works hard to get better, when he is on the pitch he's one of our best players if not the best.
Lots of players have chronic injuries it's about managing them, he's not going to play 2 games in 4 days not a chance. He did warm up for at least an hour last night, wonder if Lennon just used last night as part of his rehab.

JimBHibees
30-03-2017, 06:29 AM

What tonight showed is what was already glaringly obvious to most people. We are a far, far better side with a fit Dylan McGeouch in it. Having a player who's 1st thought is to do something positive with the ball quickly and efficiently is exactly what we have lacked for much of the season.

It's probably a forlorn hope but I would love us to get him to the stage where he can play 10-15 games in a row.

Nail on head.

JimBHibees
30-03-2017, 06:38 AM

Or managing him with a view to him playing more games between now and the end of the season.

lugz
30-03-2017, 06:40 AM
If Dylan only plays 4 more games this season and 2 of them are in the Scottish cup I'll be happy. We'll do enough to see the league out without risking him and he could vital in us going for 2 in a row.

Pedantic_Hibee
30-03-2017, 07:08 AM
Or managing him with a view to him playing more games between now and the end of the season.

I hope that's the reason. I'm only basing this on Lennon's treatment of Cummings earlier this season.

JDHibs
30-03-2017, 07:08 AM
Dylans time at Hibs has proved he needs to be treated delicately.

Hes been consistently injured throughout the season, so playing 2 games in 4 days isnt a good idea, especially against 2nd & 3rd place teams in the league. He only started on Saturday due to McGinn not being available.

Bartley has turned a corner since we have been playing a 442. Looks more composed and has put in some very good displays. Very hard to drop McGinn or Bartley unless injured.

superfurryhibby
30-03-2017, 07:15 AM

I would suggest this is the answer.

Some slavering total Tom Kite on here.

Dylan is under contract and therefore the charming suggestion we "get rid" is meaningless. Equally bollox is the idea that Lennon doesn't like him and that it is all in his head.

For about the millionth time. It is called chronic injury, By all accounts Dylan has one. Disappointing, frustrating and pretty sad for him. On that basis a bit less speculative crap and a bit more sympathy would be in order.

B.H.F.C
30-03-2017, 07:15 AM

Don't think it's anything like that. I think it's simply the case that Lennon doesn't rate him as highly as most people on here do. Numerous times this season he's been on the bench when he's been available to play.

jacomo
30-03-2017, 07:17 AM

I find this explanation much more likely.

Ilovehibs
30-03-2017, 07:48 AM

2 in a row would be good!

Totally agree with you though.

jeffers
30-03-2017, 08:26 AM
I never understand the comments stating he's our best player. Paul Hanlon, Darren McGregor, John McGinn and Jason Cummings are better and contribute far more to the team than Dylan McGeouch does. Possibly the reason he didn't start last night was because after a bright start on Saturday he was decidedly average and Neil Lennon wanted to go with John McGinn and Marvin Bartley (who was excellent on Saturday) as his midfield pairing.

Dylan McGeouch is a decent player but imo his influence on the team is massively exaggerated. He keeps the ball and usually finds a man with a crisp pass, but more often than not it's from far too deep a position to influence the game where it matters, the final third. He has the ability to do so much more, the player I saw clips of from his Celtic days drove at teams, taking players on and scoring the occasional goal. I can't remember the last goal he scored (although he's not alone in our midfield with that issue) or the last goal he had an assist for. If he is such a great player why were Celtic happy to let him go ?

I feel sorry for him if he does indeed have a chronic injury (although I wonder why it wasn't picked up at his medical) but I would move him on either at the end of the season or when his contract expires at the end of next season. He's had long injury spells every season he's been with us and there is nothing to suggest it won't always be like that. We can't afford to have a player sitting in the stands as often as he does.

CapitalGreen
30-03-2017, 08:41 AM

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/797106396928049152/p6JXK7Ks.jpg

Waste of a wage? GTF

1van Sprou7e
30-03-2017, 09:31 AM
its a fair point he's made. Not one I agree with but I understand why he thinks that. I just hope McGeouch can prove him wrong.

That's what's considered a "fair point" these days? Deary me

Baldy Foghorn
30-03-2017, 09:35 AM

Or maybe DM was just tired after Saturday and a lengthy absence?

RoscoHibby
30-03-2017, 09:45 AM
Dylan is an excellent player, of that there should be not one drop of doubt. We play at a far better tempo and get forward more quickly when he plays. He has that one trait that all great players have, he always seems to have time on the ball. That's intellegence and great technique that allows this to happen. Games like Saturday, just about every attack we had went through Dylan, he generally runs the game when playing, even when he comes on as sub.

I can understand some of the sentiments because it is frustrating that he's injured so often. Bet you no one is more frustrated that the man himself though. And if he was fit and playing his best every week, he just would not be at hibs.

Some hibs 'supporters' never fail to baffle me. Perfect example, rocky had a poor free kick at the end of the game last night, went right out of play. Some clown behind me in the east 'Boooooooo' at top of his voice. WTF? He didn't try to do it, best keeper we've had in years.....and we're no barca. However we play ever so slightly more like them when McGeouch is on the park.

ancient hibee
30-03-2017, 09:48 AM
He's not injured so often,he's injured permanently.That's not going to change I'm afraid and it has to be managed.

Golden Bear
30-03-2017, 09:53 AM
He's not injured so often,he's injured permanently.That's not going to change I'm afraid and it has to be managed.

Yes, there are ways of managing the situation and we'll find out at the end of the season which method has been chosen.

Since90+2
30-03-2017, 09:53 AM
He is our best player when fit but a fully fit McGinn and Bartley are better than a 75% Dylan.

If he can get back close to full fitness he is the first name on the team sheet for me.

cmcd
30-03-2017, 09:57 AM
I never understand the comments stating he's our best player. Paul Hanlon, Darren McGregor, John McGinn and Jason Cummings are better and contribute far more to the team than Dylan McGeouch does. Possibly the reason he didn't start last night was because after a bright start on Saturday he was decidedly average and Neil Lennon wanted to go with John McGinn and Marvin Bartley (who was excellent on Saturday) as his midfield pairing.

Dylan McGeouch is a decent player but imo his influence on the team is massively exaggerated. He keeps the ball and usually finds a man with a crisp pass, but more often than not it's from far too deep a position to influence the game where it matters, the final third. He has the ability to do so much more, the player I saw clips of from his Celtic days drove at teams, taking players on and scoring the occasional goal. I can't remember the last goal he scored (although he's not alone in our midfield with that issue) or the last goal he had an assist for. If he is such a great player why were Celtic happy to let him go ?

I feel sorry for him if he does indeed have a chronic injury (although I wonder why it wasn't picked up at his medical) but I would move him on either at the end of the season or when his contract expires at the end of next season. He's had long injury spells every season he's been with us and there is nothing to suggest it won't always be like that. We can't afford to have a player sitting in the stands as often as he does.
I realise that I will be slated for this opinion but Cummings was hopeless last night and not for the first time .The people who believe he is a great player are well off the mark. Good goalscorer (on his day) but great player certainly not. Let the abuse begin

pacoluna
30-03-2017, 10:05 AM
Posters last season were moaning at the fact certain players weren't giving long enough to recovery fully from injuries, now they are moaning at the fact an injury prone player is being eased back into the team! :rolleyes:

jeffers
30-03-2017, 10:07 AM
I realise that I will be slated for this opinion but Cummings was hopeless last night and not for the first time .The people who believe he is a great player are well off the mark. Good goalscorer (on his day) but great player certainly not. Let the abuse begin

It wasn't Cummings best game last night but strikers thrive on service, the service to him last night was appalling. He still has a lot to learn, but he is a natural goalscorer who has made big improvements in his all round game this season.

J-C
30-03-2017, 10:08 AM

I agree to an extent, he's a very good goal scorer with and excellent goal record but last night was one of many similar games from Cummings. Very slow to get back into play, not working hard enough to pressurise their players, playing with his head down too often. He has improved this season in his all round play but he's in the team purely as a scorer and when he's not doing that he's not really adding to the team.

pacoluna
30-03-2017, 10:17 AM
Needs to improve with his back to goal IMO.

yerauldda
30-03-2017, 10:32 AM
hands down the best player at the club for me, everyone has different opinions on that and it's fine, but we tick as a team when he plays. If everyone is fit I would like to see him as part of a midfield 3.

Marciano

Gray/Ambrose Mcgregor Hanlon Stevenson

Mcgeough Bartley McGinn

Humphrey Cummings Boyle

I don't believe we need a physical striker. There is more than enough talent and creativity in that team to create for Cummings

Spike Mandela
30-03-2017, 11:01 AM
It was probably a dilemma for Neil last night whether to start McGeouch or Bartley. Both with attributes and probably a decision made depending on who the opposition was.

If Bartley was dropped people would be saying we miss him as well. Factor in the fact we had Fyvie fit and available as well it is probably a nice dilemma for manager to have.

we are hibs
30-03-2017, 11:09 AM
A part of me thinks Lennon thinks the league is done. We should have enough without mcgeouch to get over the line so he doesn't want to risk him ahead of the semi final and will only play him if vital or give him a few sub appearances to keep his fitness up.

Baldy Foghorn
30-03-2017, 11:16 AM
A part of me thinks Lennon thinks the league is done. We should have enough without mcgeouch to get over the line so he doesn't want to risk him ahead of the semi final and will only play him if vital or give him a few sub appearances to keep his fitness up.

No chance would Lennon be so complacent

RoYO!
30-03-2017, 11:16 AM

And yet he is the proud owner of a Scottish cup winners medal.

Great input Conner

HibernianJK
30-03-2017, 11:20 AM
Sorry but i don't see his point! My point is. Dylan, since he signed for us, has not been the the player he was on loan. Hibs need to get promoted and he's not the player we thought he should be in Scotland's second tier.

When he's been fit, he's been exactly the player we had on loan.

GreenOnions
30-03-2017, 12:14 PM
hands down the best player at the club for me, everyone has different opinions on that and it's fine, but we tick as a team when he plays. If everyone is fit I would like to see him as part of a midfield 3.

Marciano

Gray/Ambrose Mcgregor Hanlon Stevenson

Mcgeough Bartley McGinn

Humphrey Cummings Boyle

I don't believe we need a physical striker. There is more than enough talent and creativity in that team to create for Cummings

Personally I'd have Fyvie in ahead of Bartley unless there's a particular need for extra height/physicality for a specific game. Big Marv has many qualities but Fyvie's passing is much better and he can link defence and attack much more. Other than that - your selection looks pretty good to me.

jgl07
30-03-2017, 12:58 PM

After three months out he is probably not ready to play two matches in four days. Especially as Morton seemed to be using the 'if in doubt hack them down' philosophy last seen by Falkirk.

yerauldda
30-03-2017, 01:03 PM
Personally I'd have Fyvie in ahead of Bartley unless there's a particular need for extra height/physicality for a specific game. Big Marv has many qualities but Fyvie's passing is much better and he can link defence and attack much more. Other than that - your selection looks pretty good to me.

I wouldn't be against that. There's obviously times where Bartley is just not needed and Fyvie would be a better option. Next year I feel Bartley will be absolutely crucial. He never ever has a bad game and is almost indispensable when playing any opposition that likes to attack.

We need to play Mcgeouch whenever we can.

houstonhibbee
30-03-2017, 01:08 PM
After three months out he is probably not ready to play two matches in four days. Especially as Morton seemed to be using the 'if in doubt hack them down' philosophy last seen by Falkirk.
if he wasn't ready to play 2 matches fair enough but if he wasn't ready to come on as a sub why would he be on. The bench ???

The Leith Dutch
30-03-2017, 01:25 PM
All very too infrequent. Has anybody read my first reply?

The problem is probably your initial post - your point (presumably that you think we should consider whether we should keep DM based on injury and form) is drowned by the tone which makes it sound like you're trying to provoke a response rather than engage in a debate.

Nothing wrong with your position but if you use phrases like "waste of a wage", "some other excuse" and "get rid" it's going to be assumed you're deliberately trying to wind up anyone who thinks differently.

lucky
30-03-2017, 03:04 PM
I've said this a few times on this board this season a fit McGeough is an asset but there is no point in him being the best player in the stand. Unfortunately I don't think his body or maybe his mind is up to playing professional football week in week out. The question for Lenny is he worth playing 50/60% of games.