PDA

View Full Version : John McGinn

Billychaotic182
29-03-2017, 09:21 PM
Was it just me or did he have a total stinker tonight. Nothing worked for him tonight. Fans are quick to slate Shinnie if he doesn't play well and I don't think McGinn should be given it easy from us. Of course every good player has a bad day but tonight was awful. Personally thought he should have been subbed for Dylan in the second half. Putting Dylan on with five minutes to go was bizarre as well.

SMAXXA
29-03-2017, 09:24 PM
Yes he was poor tonight. Don't know why Mcgeough was dropped for him as thought Dylan did well Saturday.

Players have poor games he's had more games of than bad I guess

noz
29-03-2017, 09:24 PM
Was it just me or did he have a total stinker tonight. Nothing worked for him tonight. Fans are quick to slate Shinnie if he doesn't play well and I don't think McGinn should be given it easy from us. Of course every good player has a bad day but tonight was awful. Personally thought he should have been subbed for Dylan in the second half. Putting Dylan on with five minutes to go was bizarre as well.

agreed, nothing really came off for him and felt a bit sorry for mcgeough being dropped tonight.

CathroMustStay
29-03-2017, 09:25 PM
Off night for sure.

neil7908
29-03-2017, 09:27 PM
Wasn't great but think he struggles a bit in games like this with Bartley next to him. Him and McGeough should be starting every game they are available.

PercyHibs
29-03-2017, 09:29 PM

Agree with all of that. McGinn deserves a spell on the bench. He's been brutal last couple of months bar the hearts game.

I thought the game was crying out for McGeouch on around 60mins. Maybe too long for him after his 90mins on Saturday. Didn't see the point in taking Cummings off with 4 to go.

lucky
29-03-2017, 09:29 PM
Wasn't great but think he struggles a bit in games like this with Bartley next to him. Him and McGeough should be starting every game they are available.

Marv is fine in battle but is no use at creating anything and that's costing us in home games

18Hibee75
29-03-2017, 09:30 PM
Personally I thought he started the game very brightly, hitting the post and playing some brilliant wee passes, but from then on he has the right ideas but nothing seemed to work for him. I think Mcgeouch definitely shouldve been in that team instead of Bartley or Keatings (Big Bartley fan but think he's much better when playing in a very physical game against Falkirk or Hearts)

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

kiwihibby
29-03-2017, 09:30 PM

I thought he was terrible tonight. Hardly one decent pass. Maybe over-tired after his time with the Scottish team:confused:

houstonhibbee
29-03-2017, 09:33 PM
I thought he was terrible tonight. Hardly one decent pass. Maybe over-tired after his time with the Scottish team:confused:
I think watching Hibs on Hibs tv is more exhausting at times than playing..................

Callum_62
29-03-2017, 09:34 PM
Started well faded badly

To be fair the movement from infrobt of him was pathetic

MacBean
29-03-2017, 09:34 PM
Dylan should have been on sooner

Brightside
29-03-2017, 09:36 PM

He had a few spells of good stuff but he simply cannot play against a mobile midfield and have Bartley as his wing man. All Lennons fault tonight.

Craig_in_Prague
29-03-2017, 09:39 PM
How often this season have our SC winning midfield 3 played together? Curious! (McGinn, McGeough, Fyvie)

hfc rd
29-03-2017, 09:39 PM
Thought he was poor as well tonight.

ancient hibee
29-03-2017, 09:40 PM
He had a few spells of good stuff but he simply cannot play against a mobile midfield and have Bartley as his wing man. All Lennons fault tonight.
Tosh.He's a Scottish international if he can't dominate a Champioship match it's not the manager's fault.

Hiber-nation
29-03-2017, 09:45 PM

Well he's managed it fine in the big games. Nothing to do with Lennon whatsoever!!

Unseen work
29-03-2017, 09:50 PM
He was very poor tonight.

It would be interesting to see the amount of times he lost the ball% wise, it wouldn't be far off 50%.

He is constantly in a rush either driving 100 mph at players of trying World Cup passes.

Don't get me wrong he pulls them off it's brilliant, but sometimes he needs to slow down and just play a simple pass and help us build a bit of momentum.

Him and Bartley doesn't work imo as none of them are particularly great at controlling the midfield passing wise.

Smartie
29-03-2017, 09:55 PM
I thought he was total pish, but in his defence it can't be easy being in a midfield 2 with Bartley. Bartley did what Bartley does reasonably well, as usual, but there is no attacking threat there.

The whole shape just looked wrong going forward and we could have played all night and not looked like scoring.

I think we'll scrape over the line by being the least pish team in the league and tbh that is good enough as it was all about going up this year (and that wasn't actually that bad a result tonight).

But I think we need a serious rethink about how we go about scoring goals next season.

Tamhere1875
29-03-2017, 09:59 PM
I blame him being away with the crap who play for Scotland

Billy Whizz
29-03-2017, 10:02 PM
How often this season have our SC winning midfield 3 played together? Curious! (McGinn, McGeough, Fyvie)

Jesus, forgot about Fyvie

Onceinawhile
29-03-2017, 10:07 PM
He was mince.

Should have been well rested too.

rotherhamrob
29-03-2017, 10:12 PM

This 100%,it's high time all 3 were playing together,we are a far better team when they're all in.

Jones28
29-03-2017, 10:14 PM
After he hit the post in the first minute or so I thought we had SJM back, but he totally faded and nothing really came off for him. Anyone else feel he could do a job as a left mid?

Pretty Boy
29-03-2017, 10:14 PM
He performed the same as he has for large chunks of the season.

Cracking player, needs to show it far more often.

Unseen work
29-03-2017, 10:33 PM
To be fair to John, we played too much hoofball bypassing the midfield so he was either picking up scraps or defending from midfield. Effe was the only one to drive forward from defence in an effort to play through.
Morton did their job well and we didn't.
we'll be better next week.

Imo he was one of the most guilty of hoofball/world cup passes

J-C
29-03-2017, 11:04 PM
Bit of an off night for sure but with that line up he was against it all game, with just him and Bartley in the middle they were playing against 3-4 Morton players all night. I just think he looked like he was trying to do it all by himself as Bartley creates nothing, Keatings did his disappearing act again after a decent performance and Holt/JC both had poor games, Boyle was the only other midfielder who looked like he could do something, at least he tries.

Needed McGeouch and/or Shinnie in there to take the pressure off him.

emerald green
29-03-2017, 11:09 PM
McGinn is a terrific player, and Hibs are lucky to have him in this s*** league.

At times I feel Lennon is asking too much from him, especially if playing alongside Bartley. He's much better alongside McGeouch and Fyvie.

Crab apple
29-03-2017, 11:09 PM
Started well faded badly

To be fair the movement from infrobt of him was pathetic

That was my take on it too. Seemed well off the pace in the second half.

Big L
29-03-2017, 11:37 PM
To be fair to John, we played too much hoofball bypassing the midfield so he was either picking up scraps or defending from midfield. Effe was the only one to drive forward from defence in an effort to play through.
Morton did their job well and we didn't.
we'll be better next week.

I agree, we miss Fyvie taking the ball off the back 4 and starting moves. The ball was being punTed from the back and the Morton Ch's were eating it up. We need to get him and McGeough back in asap.

wookie70
29-03-2017, 11:38 PM
Thought he had an excellent first 40 seconds but was poor thereafter. It must be murder playing in our midfield though as there is zero movement from the front 6 players for the vast majority of the game. McGinn plays best when he can roam but playing Keatings and Boyle pretty much scuppered that.

Sir David Gray
29-03-2017, 11:55 PM
Probably his worst game for us.

I'm sure he'll be back to his best soon enough - class is permanent.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
30-03-2017, 12:26 AM
Tosh.He's a Scottish international if he can't dominate a Champioship match it's not the manager's fault.

:agree:

NAE NOOKIE
30-03-2017, 12:37 AM
No getting away from it he had a poor game, gave the ball away far too often and in all honesty its beginning to be a bit of a habit with SJM .... he just doesn't seem able to influence games they way he did last season. I'm not sure what's up with him, but perhaps it could be as simple as needing a decent few weeks away from football, I know he was out for a few weeks after his operation but I doubt that's the same as just getting 3 weeks on a beach somewhere.

If we are able to wrap up the league with a couple of games to go I would like to see him and a few other vital players sent away on holiday ASAP ....... unless we make the cup final of course :greengrin

pacorosssco
30-03-2017, 03:52 AM

SJM lookes tired and wasnt at races tonight. Needs a rest. Formation flat 4 not helping

JimBHibees
30-03-2017, 06:44 AM
I thought he was total pish, but in his defence it can't be easy being in a midfield 2 with Bartley. Bartley did what Bartley does reasonably well, as usual, but there is no attacking threat there.

The whole shape just looked wrong going forward and we could have played all night and not looked like scoring.

I think we'll scrape over the line by being the least pish team in the league and tbh that is good enough as it was all about going up this year (and that wasn't actually that bad a result tonight).

But I think we need a serious rethink about how we go about scoring goals next season.

and not just Bartley, neither Keatings or Boyle are natural midfield players.

Brightside
30-03-2017, 06:46 AM

Aye no bother... just play him upfront on his own...he's a scottish international. :greengrin

lugz
30-03-2017, 06:51 AM
I blame it on a lack of game time recently but hey as long as it increases his sale value 😉

green with envy
30-03-2017, 06:55 AM
Probably his worst game for us.

I'm sure he'll be back to his best soon enough - class is permanent.

Two spot-on points.

O'Rourke3
30-03-2017, 07:18 AM
My take was he was trying too hard. He wanted to make things happen and ended up over hitting or over extending. If he'd relaxed a bit he'd have been fine.

eastcoasthibby
30-03-2017, 07:26 AM

Exactly my thoughts Bartley looks likwe a nightmare to play alongside his reading of a game where there is a lot of movement from the other team and when we have the ball in fighter spaces is poor for a guy playing g at this level .. His positioning is normally too deep and hence gives his midfield partner nobody to play alongside ..I agree totally mcginn should have been playing g alongside McGeoch ..hope Lennon changes it to that on Saturday we are a better team in games that are right in midfield with players that are fotbalers and both mcginn and McGeoch or fyvie all have that we don't need Bartley in these games and mcginn's performance will improve ...

Reaper
30-03-2017, 07:31 AM
Trying too hard at times and his passing let him down.......one of a few who weren't great tonight.

Still they can all rest easy it was Grant Holts fault. Every time someone, anyone misplaced a pass or got caught under the ball it was all Holts fault.

According to the 'fitba folk' behind me in the west anyway :rolleyes:

Thegreenside
30-03-2017, 07:32 AM
Him and Bartley got given the short straw I think with none of the wide players or strikers mucking in with the dirty work, often out numbered. When they got the ball they looked knackered from the chasing down

Heisenberg
30-03-2017, 07:38 AM
After he hit the post in the first minute or so I thought we had SJM back, but he totally faded and nothing really came off for him. Anyone else feel he could do a job as a left mid?

I expected him to be left midfield last night. Wasn't surprised he rested McGeough but someone else could've played in the middle with Bartley. Instead we shoehorned a striker into left midfield and McGeough was just dropped.