PDA

View Full Version : (NHC)France V Spain video evidence trial

Lancs Harp
28-03-2017, 08:22 PM
Being trialed tonight in the France v Spain game. France scored, ref awarded the goal but chalked off though a player being offside (which was correct), reversing the decison just took a few seconds.

Is this the future?

Bristolhibby
28-03-2017, 08:25 PM
About time. Added no time to the game and is utilising technology that has been available for years.

Some of these terrible decisions (Leigh's goal v them) can now be consigned to the bin.

J

HoboHarry
28-03-2017, 08:28 PM
About time. Added no time to the game and is utilising technology that has been available for years.

Some of these terrible decisions (Leigh's goal v them) can now be consigned to the bin.

J
There will be a cost to the clubs though. There are already too few referees and every game where the video is running will require someone manning it.....

Lancs Harp
28-03-2017, 08:34 PM
There's also the question of how far down the system you can employ video technology. Does that make the game at the top a different game to the game in the lower echelons? In Scotland for instance would it be just employed at International level? SPL level? It couldnt surely be used for early Scottish cup matches but maybe for later rounds, is that fair/correct? Does that matter? Opens alot up to debate.

Diclonius
28-03-2017, 08:34 PM

J

If you reckon the SFA blazers will pay for this at the expense if a couple less luxury "fact-finding missions" a year, you're laughing. We haven't even got goal-line technology yet.

We'll probably see it in Scotland around 2035.

worcesterhibby
28-03-2017, 08:37 PM
we'll have nothing to talk about and it will mean that top level football who can afford the technology will be different to lower league football...such as the Scottish Championship (and probably the SPL too). It will end up as two very different games, dividing football still further between the rich and the poor.

O'Rourke3
28-03-2017, 08:38 PM
There will be a cost to the clubs though. There are already too few referees and every game where the video is running will require someone manning it.....

Do it where you can afford it. Not enough refs but thousands of refs and linesmen retiring at 50 and still capable of making decisions.
Add new technology and might not need refs.
Down side? 2 new threads on match day as there would be less to argue over....

Bristolhibby
28-03-2017, 08:40 PM
Haha, now the linesman flags a goal for offside, and actually the Spaniard was onside.

Goal Spain!

2-0

Commentators genuinely scoobied, talking about robbing celebrations. FFS! In old days this game would be 1-1. Now it's correctly 0-2 Spain.

Loving this.

Bristolhibby
28-03-2017, 08:42 PM
Do it where you can afford it. Not enough refs but thousands of refs and linesmen retiring at 50 and still capable of making decisions.
Add new technology and might not need refs.
Down side? 2 new threads on match day as there would be less to argue over....

This, if it's available, use it.

Tonight's game has gone from old money 1-1, to new world 0-2 to Spain.

The technology is justifying itself tonight.

J

Smartie
28-03-2017, 08:47 PM

Referees are hung out to dry and you often wonder why anyone would want to do it.

At least with this there is a better chance of those at the highest level getting the big decisions right, therefore earning referees in general a bit more respect.

This change might see more people want to go into refereeing, helping with the shortage.

CapitalGreen
28-03-2017, 08:48 PM
we'll have nothing to talk about and it will mean that top level football who can afford the technology will be different to lower league football...such as the Scottish Championship (and probably the SPL too). It will end up as two very different games, dividing football still further between the rich and the poor.

This already happens. At much amateur level they only have a referee, no linesmen. At Championship level we have linesmen but no fourth official. The Premiership have 4th officials but not goal line technology. The English Premier league has goal line technology but not a 5th official behind the goals. The Champions League has all of the above.

brianmc
28-03-2017, 08:50 PM
This, if it's available, use it.

Tonight's game has gone from old money 1-1, to new world 0-2 to Spain.

The technology is justifying itself tonight.

J

Yippee for technology.... I was waiting on a draw in this game to complete a treble bet that would've netted me £119 for a £4 stake.
#scunnered

worcesterhibby
28-03-2017, 08:56 PM
This already happens. At much amateur level they only have a referee, no linesmen. At Championship level we have linesmen but no fourth official. The Premiership have 4th officials but not goal line technology. The English Premier league has goal line technology but not a 5th official behind the goals. The Champions League has all of the above.

That's exactly my point..it has been a slow, drip drip change to the game, meaning the Elite play a different sport to the rest of us. The introduction of this sort of technology will just widen the gap. Bring back real football.

snooky
28-03-2017, 09:00 PM
Referees are hung out to dry and you often wonder why anyone would want to do it.

At least with this there is a better chance of those at the highest level getting the big decisions right, therefore earning referees in general a bit more respect.

This change might see more people want to go into refereeing, helping with the shortage.

I think most fans (not in the heat of the moment though) will give the officials a bit of slack if it's a hard call.
The one thing that's great about this is the next time there's a dodgy foul one yard outside the box there will be no scope for downright cheating.
Continuing in that vein, I can't see the OF being in favour of this sort of progressive technology for obvious reasons.

Lancs Harp
28-03-2017, 09:02 PM
I think most fans (not in the heat of the moment though) will give the officials a bit of slack if it's a hard call.
The one thing that's great about this is the next time there's a dodgy foul outside the box there will be no scope for downright cheating.
I can't see the OF being in favour of this sort of technology for obvious reasons.

Could be interesting if such a decision is made in the 93rd minute of a volatile derby game.

Bristolhibby
28-03-2017, 09:02 PM
Paul Ince sounding stupid arguing against this technology.

Live in the now!

J

Baw187
28-03-2017, 09:08 PM
I'm for it but does the ref make the call in to whether he seeks assistance and what will be the guiding principles that mean this is applied consistently?

My concern is that if it's at the ref's discretion then it will still be inconsistently applied and you'll have players clambering at every opportunity for the ref to check every contentious decision.

If we can find a way that makes it clear when and how it will be applied then all for it.

Hibby Bairn
28-03-2017, 09:16 PM

Great post. Never really thought about it that way.

lucky
28-03-2017, 09:30 PM
There's also the question of how far down the system you can employ video technology. Does that make the game at the top a different game to the game in the lower echelons? In Scotland for instance would it be just employed at International level? SPL level? It couldnt surely be used for early Scottish cup matches but maybe for later rounds, is that fair/correct? Does that matter? Opens alot up to debate.

Hawkeye is not at every game in England so Id imagine in Scotland new technology would be restricted to the premiership

HibbiesandtheBaddies
28-03-2017, 09:33 PM
Being trialed tonight in the France v Spain game. France scored, ref awarded the goal but chalked off though a player being offside (which was correct), reversing the decison just took a few seconds.

Is this the future?

yes

NAE NOOKIE
28-03-2017, 09:33 PM
Call me an auld cynic, but I could have put money on a goal with a marginal offside being disallowed in this game if one arose, handy that one came up so that the technology could be tested ..... just sayin' like :greengrin

Scott Allan Key
28-03-2017, 10:19 PM
Call me an auld cynic, but I could have put money on a goal with a marginal offside being disallowed in this game if one arose, handy that one came up so that the technology could be tested ..... just sayin' like :greengrin

What if the linesman's flag goes up, the players stop play? Does that mean every attack goes to resolution before consulting the tech for correctness of linesman? The referee will need to play advantage to the attacking team more often?

28-03-2017, 10:33 PM
Understand they are using video replays in Dutch league games already. Not sure if its a trial but it was used in a game I saw on TV earlier in the season.
Ref correctly overturned a penalty award after reviewing the video. It was all done in a minute or so, so no danger of players getting cold from standing about or any daft excuse like that. If it takes 2 mins to do it and TV Cameras are there, I say allow them to use it and get the correct decision on the day. You can always add the 2 mins on.

lord bunberry
29-03-2017, 12:02 AM
What if the linesman's flag goes up, the players stop play? Does that mean every attack goes to resolution before consulting the tech for correctness of linesman? The referee will need to play advantage to the attacking team more often?
Im guessing that the technology will mean the linesman flagging for offside will be practically ignored. The players would have to play on and the referee couldn't really stop the game.
I didn't see the game tonight so I'm not sure how it was applied, maybe they only use it to check if a goal is ok. If that's the case the attacking team is always going to try and continue the attack if the linesman flags as they've got nothing to lose.

NZ Green
29-03-2017, 01:36 AM
I think this technology should be used, even though lower leagues might not be able to afford it. Its not that common for a goal to be given or disallowed wrongly, so I dont think it will cause a massive divide between those who use it and those who don't, but it could certainly benefit a couple of teams each year in terms of their correct position in the league, which is fair.

spikey66
29-03-2017, 06:27 AM
Totally agree this should be used. Rugby has used this for years and does not cause long delays to a match. Look at Leighs goal against the jambos, that would have been called in and stood.

Waxy
29-03-2017, 06:57 AM
Should be used in every top division. Too much at stake to make wrong decisions.

Scott Allan Key
29-03-2017, 05:41 PM
Im guessing that the technology will mean the linesman flagging for offside will be practically ignored. The players would have to play on and the referee couldn't really stop the game.
I didn't see the game tonight so I'm not sure how it was applied, maybe they only use it to check if a goal is ok. If that's the case the attacking team is always going to try and continue the attack if the linesman flags as they've got nothing to lose.

A very positive initiative and could stop the inevitable flagging of our goals
in big games. We'd also have had an away day in Berlin to have enjoyed this year.