PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Fact

CMurdoch
28-03-2017, 12:29 PM
Much maligned (not by me) Grant Holt is the 4th oldest player in history to score for Hibs and if he scores from now on he will move up to 2nd.

Diclonius
28-03-2017, 12:39 PM
That's mental. Who are the three older players?

patlowe
28-03-2017, 12:45 PM
Brewster, Mixu and Sauzee must have been pretty old when they scored their last goals for us.

CMurdoch
28-03-2017, 12:56 PM
That's mental. Who are the three older players?
Mixu is 3rd
Arthur Duncan 2nd

Drum roll :flag:

BoltonHibee
28-03-2017, 12:59 PM
Jimmy McColl?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CMurdoch
28-03-2017, 01:00 PM
Brewster, Mixu and Sauzee must have been pretty old when they scored their last goals for us.
Sauzee is equal 5th with Eddie Turnbull
Brewster is 8th

wallmack
28-03-2017, 01:03 PM
:flag:Jimmy McColl

CMurdoch
28-03-2017, 01:03 PM
The winner by more than 2 years is Jimmy McColl who was 38 years & 55 days old when he scored for Hibs in 1931

Peevemor
28-03-2017, 01:06 PM
The winner by more than 2 years is Jimmy McColl who was 38 years & 55 days old when he scored for Hibs in 1931

Holt will beat that easily tne next time he gets a goal. :greengrin

CMurdoch
28-03-2017, 01:07 PM
Well done to the guys that got Jimmy McColl. No chance Holt will get near McColl but could easily become the oldest player to score for Hibs in the modern era.

CMurdoch
28-03-2017, 01:09 PM
:greengrin:thumbsup:
Not for Hibs he won't, unless we have to keep him and bring him on for a late penalty in 2 years time.

CMurdoch
28-03-2017, 01:19 PM
:greengrin:thumbsup:
Not for Hibs he won't, unless we have to keep him and bring him on for a late penalty in 2 years time.

jingler1954
28-03-2017, 01:30 PM
i met his grandkids at the hal lof fame induction Lovely family.

lugz
28-03-2017, 01:41 PM
Much maligned (not by me) Grant Holt is the 4th oldest player in history to score for Hibs and if he scores from now on he will move up to 2nd.

If is definitely the key word in this. After Saturday he shouldn't be in the team which will be his first problem.

LancsHibs
28-03-2017, 01:46 PM
Have to go some way to beat Stanley Matthews who was 50 and scored for Blackpool & England

Lancs Harp
28-03-2017, 01:52 PM
Have to go some way to beat Stanley Matthews who was 50 and scored for Blackpool & England

Stanley played in his last match for England aged 42. No mean feat obviously, but a bit short of being 50. :wink:

LancsHibs
28-03-2017, 02:00 PM
Stanley played in his last match for England aged 42. No mean feat obviously, but a bit short of being 50. :wink:

Stand corrected:greengrin

ancient hibee
28-03-2017, 02:44 PM
Stand corrected:greengrin
Stanley played in a friendly for Blackpool against Hearts when he was about 50.Davy Holt told me he was afraid to tackle him in case he hurt him and told Stan he would just be treating it as a real friendly.Stan promptly nutmegged him and laid on a goal.

danhibees1875
28-03-2017, 03:00 PM
Is it still Jamie mcclusky who is our youngest goal scorer? Or have I made that up...

snooky
28-03-2017, 04:00 PM
Stanley played in a friendly for Blackpool against Hearts when he was about 50.Davy Holt told me he was afraid to tackle him in case he hurt him and told Stan he would just be treating it as a real friendly.Stan promptly nutmegged him and laid on a goal.

Don't know if this is true however, I'm sure I read somewhere that Matthews in his latter days used to forewarn the full back that they wouldn't want to be forever branded as the player who finished Stanley Matthews' career.
Smart cookie, eh. :wink:

lapsedhibee
28-03-2017, 04:05 PM

Stoke at Tynecastle. He did play but didn't move about that much.

Jack Hackett
28-03-2017, 04:30 PM
Don't know if this is true however, I'm sure I read somewhere that Matthews in his latter days used to forewarn the full back that they wouldn't want to be forever branded as the player who finished Stanley Matthews' career.
Smart cookie, eh. :wink:

Great story, true or not :greengrin

Lancs Harp
28-03-2017, 04:51 PM
For those of us of a certain vintage, could you possibly imagine playing top class football through your forties and into your 50s?

I packed in playing regularly in my early 20s but still played the odd game into my early 30s and even by then my body felt like it was seizing up for a day or two after the game. I'd say I was reasonably fit for my age (just turned 53), do a bit in the gym, like walking etc, but I think if I played football for even an hour rigor mortis would set in for the following week.

stantonhibby
28-03-2017, 05:21 PM

He also scored for England when he was 41!

jgl07
28-03-2017, 05:32 PM
He did play in the top division at 50. I saw him play at Old Trafford for Stoke when he had just turned 50.

Tom Hart RIP
28-03-2017, 05:52 PM
Is it still Jamie mcclusky who is our youngest goal scorer? Or have I made that up...

Jamie was our youngest player but I think Jimmy Orourke was our youngest scorer.
I heard that Jamie Mccluskey turned up for a trial. He brought his mate to watch. The teams were a man short so they asked his mate if he fancied a game and he did.his mate was Steven Fletcher.

Lancs Harp
28-03-2017, 06:01 PM
He did play in the top division at 50. I saw him play at Old Trafford for Stoke when he had just turned 50.

He played one first team match after turning 50, it was against Fulham.

Im a Blackpool lad, Matthews folklore is in the blood :greengrin

Viva_Palmeiras
28-03-2017, 06:06 PM
He played one first team match after turning 50, it was against Fulham.

Im a Blackpool lad, Matthews folklore is in the blood :greengrin

He was a fan of Gordon Smith was he not?

Lancs Harp
28-03-2017, 06:11 PM
He was a fan of Gordon Smith was he not?

I would presume he was. Sir Stanley was a gent and a football connoissuer so I presume he wuld have appreciated Gordons talent. There were certainly alot of comparisons made between the two.

ancient hibee
28-03-2017, 06:15 PM
Stoke at Tynecastle. He did play but didn't move about that much.

Quite right--Stoke.

Tinribs
29-03-2017, 10:54 AM
For those of us of a certain vintage, could you possibly imagine playing top class football through your forties and into your 50s?

I packed in playing regularly in my early 20s but still played the odd game into my early 30s and even by then my body felt like it was seizing up for a day or two after the game. I'd say I was reasonably fit for my age (just turned 53), do a bit in the gym, like walking etc, but I think if I played football for even an hour rigor mortis would set in for the following week.

I read Andre Agassi's autobiography, and the agony he went through each morning in his 30s was just mind blowing. Couldn't imagine what playing elite sport in your forties or fifties would be like.

lapsedhibee
29-03-2017, 04:34 PM
I read Andre Agassi's autobiography, and the agony he went through each morning in his 30s was just mind blowing. Couldn't imagine what playing elite sport in your forties or fifties would be like.

Though Agassi's definition of 'agony' is perhaps not everyone's ...

He said: "Every morning I would get up and find another piece of my identity on the pillow, in the wash basin, down the plughole.

"I asked myself: you want to wear a toupee? On the tennis court? I answered myself; what else could I do?"

He wore the wig for the French Open in 1990, the first time he had reached a Grand Slam final.

"Then a fiasco happened," he said. "The evening before the match I stood under the shower and felt my wig suddenly fall apart.

"Probably I used the wrong hair rinse. I panicked and called my brother Philly into the room.

"It’s a total disaster!" I said to him. He looked at it and said he could clamp it with hair clips.

"It took 20 clips. "Do you think it will hold?" I asked. "Just don’t move so much," he said.

"Of course I could have played without my hairpiece, but what would all the journalists have written if they knew that all the time I was really wearing a wig?

"During the warming-up training before play I prayed. Not for victory, but that my hairpiece would not fall off.

"With each leap, I imagine it falling into the sand. I imagine millions of spectators move closer to their TV sets, their eyes widening and, in dozens of dialects and languages, ask how Andre Agassi’s hair has fallen from his head.

It was Brooke Shields, who he married, who suggested he cut all his hair off

"She said I should shave my head," he said. "It was like suggesting I should have all my teeth out.

"Nevertheless, I thought for a few days about it, about the agonies it caused me

snooky
29-03-2017, 06:10 PM

I think you're splitting hairs now.