PDA

View Full Version : our corners

eastcoasthibby
28-03-2017, 08:36 AM
Is it just me or does our set up at corners for us, seem wrong ..we never seem to have anyone coming in deep at th,e back post in fact for me, coming into the area of the 6 yard box at the back ..the amount corners that if not hit into that area, that are flicked on by us or a defender into the big gaping hole in the deeper position , seems like a big tactical flaw! Every game is the same , people round about me are same as me and screaming for someone to make that deep run ...even if it's not an effort on goal putting it back across keeps the pressure on ...for me it just seems such a basic tactical set up ..that isn't there ..??!!

ian cruise
28-03-2017, 08:37 AM
Does DG not normally come in at the back post for corners?

eastcoasthibby
28-03-2017, 08:40 AM
I think he does at times ..but can think of almost every game asking the question ....they should all be doing it, mixing it up with tbeir runs !!

JDHibs
28-03-2017, 08:51 AM
Corners are our achilles heel. Both attacking them and defending them.

Zonal marking for defending them is shocking. Lost most of our goals at corners because of that. Then theres silly ones like Keats losing Sibbald at the weekend. Thats just concentration + nobody on the near post.

As you pointed out, we never seem to score many from corners. Or as many as others yet we have some great headers of the ball. McGregor/Hanlon/Gray/Holt/Graham/Ambrose/Forster.

Hopefully its being worked on as we will need to be stronger at it next season.

Brightside
28-03-2017, 09:32 AM
under stubbs we used to have the 3 target men on the edge of the box prior to the corner being taken...they would then split at pace - 1 front post, 1 middle, 1 back. Its basic but it works the majority of time as the players are attacking the ball at speed. This season the target men are far too static and don't appear to move until the corner has already been taken.

Onceinawhile
28-03-2017, 09:35 AM
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/mar/27/in-defence-of-the-corner-a-much-maligned-set-piece

Thought this was a good article.

Craig_HFC
28-03-2017, 09:44 AM
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/mar/27/in-defence-of-the-corner-a-much-maligned-set-piece

Thought this was a good article.

Decent article. Just makes The Huns defending of corners on 21 May all the more hilarious.

Also shows just how good Liam Henderson's deliiiiiiiveries actually were.

J-C
28-03-2017, 09:49 AM
And we also have our top scorer taking corners instead of being in the box trying to score?

Peevemor
28-03-2017, 09:54 AM
And we also have our top scorer taking corners instead of being in the box trying to score?

Griffiths & Riordan used to take corners too. That doesn't bother me TBH, the delivery is more important than finishing prowess.

JDHibs
28-03-2017, 10:51 AM

Probably due to the quality of delivery he gives. Jason has a very good left foot for set pieces.

No point him being in the box if the balls in are crap. He isnt going to win any floated ones that shinnie sends in, McGinns are way word and Keatings takes them when hes on the park.

JimBHibees
28-03-2017, 12:05 PM
under stubbs we used to have the 3 target men on the edge of the box prior to the corner being taken...they would then split at pace - 1 front post, 1 middle, 1 back. Its basic but it works the majority of time as the players are attacking the ball at speed. This season the target men are far too static and don't appear to move until the corner has already been taken.

They also seem too close to the goal when making their runs. Would like to see some initiative like some short corners or different movement as we seem quite predictable yet have some decent headers of the ball in the team.

danhibees1875
28-03-2017, 12:22 PM

We need a good delivery as said, but I'd agree that ideally I would rather have Cummings starting by the keeper and running in the opposite way to the big guys and hopefully through all the chaos finding himself in space around the D/back corner of the box where the ball could likely fall after being cleared.

Vault Boy
28-03-2017, 12:39 PM
We've moved from zonal marking to man marking recently, it hasn't gone particularly well and Lennon said he'll likely change back for the remainder. Given our defensive record for large parts of this season, it seems that zonal marking wasn't so bad for us.

J-C
28-03-2017, 01:15 PM
We've moved from zonal marking to man marking recently, it hasn't gone particularly well and Lennon said he'll likely change back for the remainder. Given our defensive record for large parts of this season, it seems that zonal marking wasn't so bad for us.

The man marking for Falkirk's goal was brutal, he waltzed passed 2 defenders to head it in, if they were man marking then someone didn't tell them.

Vault Boy
28-03-2017, 01:35 PM
The man marking for Falkirk's goal was brutal, he waltzed passed 2 defenders to head it in, if they were man marking then someone didn't tell them.

He was meant to be Keatings' man, completely lost him. Thankfully made up for it!

JimBHibees
28-03-2017, 01:39 PM

I think it is a mix of zonal and man marking as assume Graham was meant to be outside the front post where Holt had been for the other corners Falkirk had. Were hopelessley caught out at that corner however which sometimes happens when subs come on and probably arent as clued in as guys that start the game..

cmcd
28-03-2017, 02:05 PM
Fontaine used to make me a few pounds by running in from the back post but not for a while .As others have said it just doesn't happen now

Dashing Bob S
28-03-2017, 02:13 PM
Take them or fill them in?

Viva_Palmeiras
28-03-2017, 04:28 PM
3-3.9% in the EPL conversion rate according to Opta.
Underlines We were blessed in the SCF 2016.

NORTHERNHIBBY
28-03-2017, 04:32 PM
Corners are set pieces. The should be practiced both when we get them and when we face them.

eastcoasthibby
29-03-2017, 08:03 AM
Corners are a great attacking opportunity and need to be worked with hard and creatively, and as I said at the beginning get basic runs and positioning of where we need people to cover. Thinking back to last couple of games but we are short of players in the edge of the box, to attack anything breaking there,Boyle has been the onlybone hiding the edge of the box as everyone is in the mixer ..6 players -ish, just another part that raises the question of our tactics with corners ..