PDA

View Full Version : Club over country.

lugz
26-03-2017, 08:48 PM
Think it's time that SJM has a serious think about this. He's achieved great things with us and if he wants to go on to bigger and better things it'll be playing for hibs not Scotland.

How different peoples reactions would have been if we had dropped points yesterday and he never played today.

SirDavidsNapper
26-03-2017, 08:51 PM
The rest will probably benefit us so I'm quite glad. Plus he'll have had a boost from being with the Scotland squad.

1875Hibees
26-03-2017, 08:52 PM
Lol Im sure Ibra and countless others have the same thoughts, oh wait.

Ozyhibby
26-03-2017, 08:52 PM
Think it's time that SJM has a serious think about this. He's achieved great things with us and if he wants to go on to bigger and better things it'll be playing for hibs not Scotland.

How different peoples reactions would have been if we had dropped points yesterday and he never played today.

John McGinn involvement in the Scotland squad will add a fair bit to the fee we get for him. The club should never get in the way of our players international ambitions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andy74
26-03-2017, 08:53 PM

Away. He's got years ahead of him playing for Scotland. The rules about playing over international weekends at this level are a bit annoying but it's a bit daft to say he should consider quitting because he didn't play tonight!

West lower
26-03-2017, 08:54 PM

He shouldn't have to bother about it again , as we will be in the Premier league.

To deliver...
Is this a joke?

Assuming we go up, it won't become an issue due to the international break in the SPL?

lugz
John McGinn involvement in the Scotland squad will add a fair bit to the fee we get for him. The club should never get in the way of our players international ambitions.

I'm not saying the club should do anything I think it's up to the individual. How many times over the years have the old firm players dropped out of Scotland squads. Our game yesterday was bigger than a crap friendly and a night on the bench tonight.

Billy Whizz
26-03-2017, 08:55 PM
Ridiculous opening post

stantonhibby
26-03-2017, 08:55 PM

Drivel

cabbageandribs1875
26-03-2017, 08:56 PM

e-mail him and ask him what he thinks about your suggestion, go on...go on :hilarious dearie me

hibee_girl
26-03-2017, 08:58 PM
Is this a joke?

Assuming we go up, it won't become an issue due to the international break in the SPL?

Exactly, this is the last Scotland game before the season ends so it's hopefully not going to be a problem for McGinn again

Scottie
26-03-2017, 09:00 PM

:agree: Playing with better players can only help in his development.

Holmesdale Hibs
26-03-2017, 09:09 PM
SJM being in the squad is a good thing for a number of reasons already posted. It's good he can see his career progressing at Hibs, hope some others can join him. I like supporting Scotland and especially like to see Hibs players involved. And we beat Falkirk without him so it's a result all round.

OxoHibby
26-03-2017, 09:16 PM
SJM being in the squad is a good thing for a number of reasons already posted. It's good he can see his career progressing at Hibs, hope some others can join him. I like supporting Scotland and especially like to see Hibs players involved. And we beat Falkirk without him so it's a result all round.

Pretty much this

WeeRussell
26-03-2017, 09:16 PM
Ridiculous opening post

Yep. One of the worst ever.

Sammy7nil
26-03-2017, 09:17 PM

Correct :agree:

Fritz
26-03-2017, 09:17 PM
There's no question it was frustrating from a Hibs fan's point of view that SJM missed our game and barely got a kick for Scotland but it's good for him to be involved and I'm sure he'd say he was delighted to be part of the international setup too. Despite what some (many) fans say nowadays international recognition is still the pinnacle and I'd question anyone that turned the chance down, even if they're not guaranteed a game. Remember David Robertson? I had no respect for him after he quit international football because he wasn't guaranteed a game.

B.H.F.C
26-03-2017, 09:19 PM
I'm not saying the club should do anything I think it's up to the individual. How many times over the years have the old firm players dropped out of Scotland squads. Our game yesterday was bigger than a crap friendly and a night on the bench tonight.

It would be career suicide for someone at his age to withdraw from an international squad when there is nothing wrong with them. Apart from anything else there are rules in place that would have prevented him turning out for us anyway.

Absolutely no blame lies with McGinn here. That little prick Strachan on the other hand. There was no danger McGinn was ever playing a part tonight.

Andy74
26-03-2017, 09:21 PM
It would be career suicide for someone at his age to withdraw from an international squad when there is nothing wrong with them. Apart from anything else there are rules in place that would have prevented him turning out for us anyway.

Absolutely no blame lies with McGinn here. That little prick Strachan on the other hand. There was no danger McGinn was ever playing a part tonight.

Aye. That's more the point. Strachan could have let the guy come back for this one. Darren Fletcher didn't even play so seems unlikely McGinn was really in with a sniff.

Sammy7nil
26-03-2017, 09:30 PM

Strachan's priority is not Hibs and neither should it be. McGinns involvement in the squad now may help him Hibs and Scotland in future.

B.H.F.C
26-03-2017, 09:43 PM
Strachan's priority is not Hibs and neither should it be. McGinns involvement in the squad now may help him Hibs and Scotland in future.

If he wanted him involved with training and the Canada game fair enough. But him sitting on the bench tonight, with no chance of getting on the pitch, benefitted nobody. He could easily have been released from the squad in time for our game.

Sir David Gray
26-03-2017, 09:44 PM
Although I can understand why McGinn would like to be involved in a Scotland squad any time that he can, I agree that the reaction on here would have been completely different if we had lost yesterday.

Hopefully we don't have to worry about playing matches whilst our players are away on international duty for a long time.

The Modfather
26-03-2017, 09:45 PM

Being in the Scotland squad, training with players who have won champions leagues and titles and getting another cap midweek. Or playing Falkirk for the zillionth time in recent seasons, and no doubt again in the near future too, in the Scottish Championship.

Aye I'm sure McGinn regrets missing a game against Falkirk. A good win, and also performance, and folk having to go out their way to criticise the national team 😴

tamig
26-03-2017, 09:53 PM

He's a young guy starting out in his career. Any involvement with the national squad is great for both player and us. As others have said it will be a positive influence on the future fee. Not sure what SJM has to think about tbh. I'm sure he will be delighted at his progress.

wookie70
26-03-2017, 09:56 PM
The national team doesn't really get the juices flowing like it used to for me from a spectators point of view. However, if I was a player I would run through brick walls to play for my country. You could have a career threatening injury at any point in training so let's applaud our players when they get the call.

Reaper
26-03-2017, 10:01 PM

Or maybe we should be thankful that an international class player that is plying his trade below his level has been loyal and level headed enough to recognise that Hibs still provide an adequate club platform to play on. He easily could have pulled a Scott Allan and forced a move in the summer but he chose to stay with us and finish the job he was brought in to do......

But you'd rather slate him for his commitment to Scotland? Deary me

lugz
26-03-2017, 10:05 PM
Or maybe we should be thankful that an international class player that is plying his trade below his level has been loyal and level headed enough to recognise that Hibs still provide an adequate club platform to play on. He easily could have pulled a Scott Allan and forced a move in the summer but he chose to stay with us and finish the job he was brought in to do......

But you'd rather slate him for his commitment to Scotland? Deary me

I'm not slating SJM 😂😂😂😂

Green Man
26-03-2017, 10:06 PM
McGinn being away yesterday meant Dylan McGeouch played and he was one of the best players on the park so, as much as I like John McGinn, I think we were alright without him yesterday. Being in the Scotland squad, even if he only got a brief appearance in a friendly, is good experience for him.

Forza Fred
26-03-2017, 10:20 PM
[QUOTE=Green Man;4989929]McGinn being away yesterday meant Dylan McGeouch played and he was one of the best players on the park so, as much as I like John McGinn, I think we were alright without him yesterday. Being in the Scotland squad, even if he only got a brief appearance in a friendly, is good experience for him.[/

Just as well the OP doesn't support a team at my end of the globe.

Football Australia - probably due to domestic TV agreements - don't postpone ANY A League games for the international windows, and make the club's play regardless of the number of players who may be on international duty.

Wellington Phoenix, the only A league team from Enzed supply the Kiwis national team with About half their side.

The international window for the World Cup meant that they had 6 players...5 NZ and one Fijian on World Cup duty when their struggling outfit lined up to play the Newcastle Jets yesterday.

Newcastle had no player s absent and Wellington stuffed them 5-0.

In fact they make a habit of getting their best results when so 'weakened'

One player's absence is another's opportunity and all that....

Bristolhibby
26-03-2017, 10:26 PM
The national team doesn't really get the juices flowing like it used to for me from a spectators point of view. However, if I was a player I would run through brick walls to play for my country. You could have a career threatening injury at any point in training so let's applaud our players when they get the call.

Correct, I'd give my right nut to represent my country. Why should SJM be any different?

At the end of the day it's a privilege to have two international class players playing for us in the Scottish Championship. As frustrating as it was not to have Rocky and SJM playing, hopefully it won't be an issue next season.

J

IberianHibernian
26-03-2017, 10:30 PM
Ideally he`d have been with us all week but maybe his transfer value will have gone up ( have my doubts if involvement with Scotland squad boosts transfer value ) and his brief appearance against Canada will have boosted crowd ( if we got % of gate receipts ) .

lugz
26-03-2017, 10:35 PM
Ideally he`d have been with us all week but maybe his transfer value will have gone up ( have my doubts if involvement with Scotland squad boosts transfer value ) and his brief appearance against Canada will have boosted crowd ( if we got % of gate receipts ) .

This was my point that I've apparently put across very badly. He'll get more attention from potential suitors playing for us against Falkirk than he will playing briefly against Canada and sitting on the bench tonight.

IberianHibernian
26-03-2017, 10:48 PM
This was my point that I've apparently put across very badly. He'll get more attention from potential suitors playing for us against Falkirk than he will playing briefly against Canada and sitting on the bench tonight.You didn`t put it across badly at all . Yesterday`s win against Falkirk was very important but if we hadn`t won I`m sure questions would have been asked about having to play such an important match without McGinn and Marciano . When we sign players we know that there is a chance that they`ll be called to play for international team ( or often teams ) so we have to accept it when it happens .

pacorosssco
26-03-2017, 11:21 PM

Yes and play well v stronger side will improve chance of a big move. Play well v england will give better chance of move than well all season spl

27-03-2017, 09:05 AM
Agree we'd all have been pi$$ed off if we'd lost on Saturday while he sat on the bench last night ...... BUT, I think it's really sad that the National team in our country (and plenty other countries round the world) seems to be treated as nothing more than a major inconvenience these days. Playing for your country should be the absolute pinnacle of a player's career and I, for one, am more than happy to see Hibs players get international recognition. I realise the Scotland team is at a pretty low ebb right now, but maybe if everyone's attitude and approach to it was different (players AND fans) we'd all be pulling in the same direction and this would help turn things round?

As an aside, SJM with 0 Scotland caps Vs SJM with say 10 Scotland caps is worth more £££s to Hibs when we ultimately sell him. As we inevitably will.

:saltireflag:saltireflag:saltireflag:

JDHibs
27-03-2017, 09:09 AM
Absolute bollocks!

The only issue i had with him going away this weekend was that we probably wasnt going to play, oh look, he didnt.

Him playing for Scotland will add a heck of alot to his value.

Next season this wont be an issue as international breaks come into play for the top league.

Steve20
27-03-2017, 09:18 AM
He should have been playing for Hibs on Saturday as club should always come before country.

But we won 2-1 so difficult to get too worked up over it now.

GreenNWhiteArmy
27-03-2017, 10:14 AM
SJM is getting international recognition playing in the Scottish Championship. Hopefully he sees that as a good thing in terms of progressing his career. No reason why he won't become more involved next season with more experience and getting older so sees no rush to leave.

It's down to ourselves that we currently play on international breaks. 3 years in the Scottish Championship is an embarrassment and the price we pay for daring to have a player of Mcginn's calibre

WeeRussell
27-03-2017, 11:30 AM
I've been somewhat critical of Gordon Strachan over the past 6 months - but including John McGinn in his squad last night is not something I hold against him in the slightest. Players are in the squad for a reason (regardless if it's unlikely that they will need to be called upon) and Strachan shouldn't be thinking about Hibs, or any other clubs, when selecting these players.

Stewboy
27-03-2017, 11:37 AM

None of them would have played for their clubs on the same weekend though

Stewboy
27-03-2017, 11:40 AM
This was my point that I've apparently put across very badly. He'll get more attention from potential suitors playing for us against Falkirk than he will playing briefly against Canada and sitting on the bench tonight.

More attn playing in a 2nd tier match than being involved in internationals!?!

I am sure if you asked any club in the world they would sign players who were internationals than not internationals I am afraid.

HFCdeb
27-03-2017, 11:46 AM
SJM is getting international recognition playing in the Scottish Championship. Hopefully he sees that as a good thing in terms of progressing his career. No reason why he won't become more involved next season with more experience and getting older so sees no rush to leave.

It's down to ourselves that we currently play on international breaks. 3 years in the Scottish Championship is an embarrassment and the price we pay for daring to have a player of Mcginn's calibre

Very well said.

I genuinely do understand the problem people have with players going off to play for their country and the various reasons they don't approve. But I seriously find it very difficult to feel negatively about it. If SJM, Rocky and whoever else WANT to play for their country and are then given the opportunity, I say "go for it lads, it's a short career, try and do it all."
If SJM didn't want to join up with the Scotland squad then he wouldn't have. I respect his decision and I'm also delighted that we have a player of that quality, despite us being a well established Championship club now.

NAE NOOKIE
27-03-2017, 11:56 AM
Silly thread ..... Any player in Europe playing 2nd tier football would be off his head to turn down an international call up which would raise his profile. Much as we have been good for John McGinn and he has been good for us anybody who thinks his ambition is to spend the next 5 years with us, in or out of the premier league, doesn't know much about modern football.

Like any player he will want to play at as high a level as possible and earn the rewards that go with that, short of a transfer to Celtic his road to that ambition lies outside of Scotland ....... Like any professional player in 10 or so years time the contracts will dry up and he will have to sit down and check his bank balance .... he would rather it read 5 million quid than 500 thousand quid.

WeeRussell
27-03-2017, 12:00 PM
I remember the days when the talk wasn't all about "raising profile" and "adding value". Representing your country should be an honour, and having internationalists is something a club should be proud of.

lugz
27-03-2017, 12:54 PM
More attn playing in a 2nd tier match than being involved in internationals!?!

I am sure if you asked any club in the world they would sign players who were internationals than not internationals I am afraid.

Yes at this moment in time he'd get more attention playing for us as he's simply not involved in the games. I'm sure any scout/manager would rather see him play 90 mins in a competitive match than 20 mins in a meaningless friendly.

Bristolhibby
27-03-2017, 12:59 PM
My mates Grandad (Jimmy Blair) played once for Scotland in the 40s. He (his grandad) was enormously proud of this, my mate still has his Scotland cap.

Once when drunk he offered it to me (my mate is English and knows I'm a big Scotland fan). I had to decline as it's his Grandads cap and should remain in his family.

His great grandfather was Jimmy Blair Sr. who captained Scotland in the 20s.

Still pretty damn cool.

J

1875Sean
27-03-2017, 09:03 PM
Pointless thread

pacorosssco
27-03-2017, 11:54 PM
I've been somewhat critical of Gordon Strachan over the past 6 months - but including John McGinn in his squad last night is not something I hold against him in the slightest. Players are in the squad for a reason (regardless if it's unlikely that they will need to be called upon) and Strachan shouldn't be thinking about Hibs, or any other clubs, when selecting these players. good point get younger players in and around squad to help develop and easy integration team . Germany do it