PDA

View Full Version : Ins/Outs - Based on promotion

Unseen work
26-03-2017, 12:56 AM
If we get promoted, who do we want in? And who do we expect to leave?

Personally I think the following:

Out

Scott Gallagher
Jordon Forster
Alex Harris
Sam Stanton
Danny Handling
James Keatings
Brian Graham
Grant Holt
Liam Fontaine - dependent on who we could get in
Plus a couple of youngsters/loans expiring.

I don't think that's unreasonable but would fairly cut our squad especially when you think bids for Cummings and Mcginn are likely

I would like to see us go for the following.

Strikers - We need guys up here that can do different jobs, but overall he confident that every time they're on they can contribute or influence the game in terms of goals

Stephen Dobbie - i get he is old but he has shown he can score goals and get assists. He would be a good option to have imo.

Miles Storey - limited game time at Aberdeen, skillful and stretches the game, can play further wide too. Knows where the net is

Lee Erwin - struggled to make the step up at Leeds. Similar to Storey

Moult/ Boyce - bigger sort of players both scoring regularly for there clubs, could we afford to prize them away? Will they have better options?

Midfield- we are crying out for influential players that can score goals, make things happen and have pace

Craig Sibbald - he always seems to score from midfield, something we lack however I'm not sure where he would play

Gary McKay Steven - crying out for a player like him

Alex Crawford - Regular player for Hamilton who scores regularly

Swanson - linked with him every summer, can score and create

Shinnie - not everyone's cup of tea but imo a good player who will be better in the spl when teams commit more against us

Scott Allan - the only place he has done well

Defence

Cammy Kerr - Seems a solid right back and could provide good competition for Gray who has went off it

Devlin- Doing really well at Hamilton and a young centre half

Peter Grant - replacement for Jordon/fonts

Keepers
Marciano - would love to see him sign permanently

Danny Rodgers - if we were unable to get

I think the majority there are realistic and could prove and extra dimension, that and a couple more physical players and we would be onto something imo.

SRHibs
26-03-2017, 05:12 AM
For the starting lineup I'd like to see new fullbacks, wingers, and a new striker.

Marciano; McGregor, Hanlon, Efe (long shot); Shinnie (would be more than happy to retain his services), McGinn, and McGeough; Cummings. That's an extremely strong spine, although unlikely we'll even see half of them here next season.

Would keep Boyle to be used as an impact sub which he's best suited for. Stevenson, SDG, and Fyvie I'd retain as good squad players. Mostly in agreement with you on who should be moved on.

bingo70
26-03-2017, 05:26 AM
Ins: Mallen, grant, Sibbald, Henderson (to deliver), stokes, Whittaker, kenny Miller, one of the whippets from Morton, aiden nesbitt maybe?

Out:McGinn and Cummings sold for big bucks, Fontaine, Mcgeouch, Holt, Graham, Boyle.

makaveli1875
26-03-2017, 05:29 AM
out - holt , graham , fyvie , stanton , insall , keatings , harris

cummings and mcginn we will be lucky to hold on to

would like to see deals done to keep rocky and shinnie in on permanent contracts

in - griffiths , stokes , plus a couple of decent attacking midfielders and some defensive cover for CB/RB and a winger

Ozyhibby
26-03-2017, 06:31 AM
Out

Holt
Shinnie
Keatings
Harris
Fontaine
Humphrey

In

May
Mallan
Devlin
Sibbald

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

makaveli1875
26-03-2017, 06:37 AM
if we lose SJM anyone reckon his big brother could fill his boots ?

Pedantic_Hibee
26-03-2017, 07:28 AM

Nut, his big brother is a size 10. SJM takes an 8.

neil7908
26-03-2017, 07:36 AM
Out:
McLean
Gallagher
Ambrose (would love to keep him but no chance he'll stay!)
Keatings
Holt
Graham
Handling
Harris
Stanton
Insall

Not sure:
Boyle - works his socks off and his pace is a great asset but his end product is really poor. Got into good crossing or shooting positions half a dozen times yesterday and never delivered the killer pass/cross/shot. Probably worth holding onto but we can't be that wasteful against better teams and expect to win games.

Humphreys - exactly the kind of player I wanted us to bring in but has been up and down and now injured. Probably also worth another year but suspect there may be younger, hungrier players out there.

Fontaine - solid defender but wonder if he'll be happy being on the bench for much of next season.

Shinnie - a tough one. He's grown on me and his performances have improved but I want more goals from our midfield. I would retain him but not sure if we would need to pay a fee for him or what his wage demands would be.

In:
Marciano (permanently)
New left back
New right back (both Lewis and SDG need competition)
A couple of wide players with 1 left footed
Goal scoring midfielder
A target man

Really crucial we keep Mcginn and Cummings. Also should be using whatever medicine or voodoo we can over the summer to get Dylan 100% fit.

lapsedhibee
26-03-2017, 07:44 AM

Nut, his big brother is a size 10. SJM takes an 8.

So he would fill them!

PiemanP
26-03-2017, 08:30 AM
New full backs and new wingers. Putting cup final sentiment to one side if we want to progress as a club I'm afraid gray, Stevenson, Boyle are not the quality required.

Another goal scoring striker to partner Cummings. Someone like a Stevie May (that old rumour) who's got experience of getting 15+ in the top league. We can't continue to rely on Cummings as much as we do.

A goal scoring midfielder. Someone who will get 10 goals a season. That's a key difference IMO from bottom 6 finish and 2nd/3rd. Shinnie isn't the answer and if the offer was there I wouldn't sign him permanently. I do like Mallan at st mirren. Sibbald scores goals but from what I've seen of him doesn't offer the quality needed. Danny Swanson or Blair Alston at the Saints would be perfect (ironically we've been linked with both in the past).

A lot will depend though on if Cummings and McGinn get sold. Everyone else is replaceable (perhaps apart from Hanlon) but these guys are at a different level.

Cocaine&Caviar
26-03-2017, 08:35 AM
Marciano* / Laid law

Whittaker* / Gray
McGregor (c) / Forster
Hanson / Fontaine
Stevenson / LB*

S Allan* / Martin
Fyvie / Bartley
McGinn / McGeouch

AM* / Kea tings

S Fletcher* / Holt
Cummings / Shaw

6 new signings, top 3 spot sorted (tongue in cheek)

makaveli1875
26-03-2017, 08:37 AM
Marciano* / Laid law

Whittaker* / Gray
McGregor (c) / Forster
Hanson / Fontaine
Stevenson / LB*

S Allan* / Martin
Fyvie / Bartley
McGinn / McGeouch

AM* / Kea tings

S Fletcher* / Holt
Cummings / Shaw

which hanson are we signing ? not alan i hope :greengrin

Scouse Hibee
26-03-2017, 09:08 AM
Not so sure I want to see the wholesale changes that have been mentioned. We then find ourselves struggling and the old transition excuse is bandied about.

Wee Effen Bee
26-03-2017, 09:55 AM
:confused:I despair, why so many wanting rid of Lewis? Who would you want/who could we afford that is better than the wee man? Funny that one of the perennial whipping boys has a thread all about him and how well he is playing on this very site. Strong contender for MOTM again yesterday.

SRHibs
26-03-2017, 10:03 AM
:confused:I despair, why so many wanting rid of Lewis? Who would you want/who could we afford that is better than the wee man? Funny that one of the perennial whipping boys has a thread all about him and how well he is playing on this very site. Strong contender for MOTM again yesterday.
Only one person has said they want rid. If we could get Whittaker on the right hand side and a new LB though, I'd be delighted. Would definitely keep LS and SDG as competition, but if we want to challenge for 2nd place I just feel we need to increase the quality of the squad.

Big L
26-03-2017, 10:26 AM

This. Absolute nonsense, the lads been a great servant to Hibs and doesn't deserve these rubbish comments! If Lewis was released today he would walk in to most SPL teams.

swindonhibs
26-03-2017, 10:46 AM
I believe our current squad is quite capable of competing in the SPL, as proven by our performances in the cup over the last 2 seasons. Not withstanding that, the SPL is a poor league, and there for the taking, so would love to see ambition from the board by backing Lennon to have a go at Celtic.
For that to happen it's imperative that we retain JC and do whatever it takes to sign Ambrose, if we can add Blair Alston as well I'd be more than happy.

hibsbollah
26-03-2017, 10:52 AM
I'm not sure we need massive wholesale changes. I certainly don't want Sibbald or any of the other creatures that play for Houston.

Hibee Mac
26-03-2017, 10:54 AM
I'd be interested to see if we could take some of the best players from the championship up with us as it would maybe allow us to "unearth some gems" for relatively cheap?

I wonder how much we'd need to spend to get the likes of Ross Forbes from Morton, sibbald, mallan etc.

Northernhibee
26-03-2017, 10:56 AM
Marciano* / Laid law

Whittaker* / Gray
McGregor (c) / Forster
Hanson / Fontaine
Stevenson / LB*

S Allan* / Martin
Fyvie / Bartley
McGinn / McGeouch

AM* / Kea tings

S Fletcher* / Holt
Cummings / Shaw

Would not have Scott Allan back. We need players dedicated to the cause, he is not.

rcarter1
26-03-2017, 10:57 AM
Given the risk of doing a 'Butcher' Im not going to make any suggestions for players to leave before the season is over.

In: John Stones
Jack Grealish
Ross Barkley
Memphis Depay
Kurt Zouma
Hector Bellerin
Alexander Mitrovic

Phil MaGlass
26-03-2017, 11:00 AM
I dont see that many in our team that couldnt do a job in the premier, our team is more set up for it than this league

rcarter1
26-03-2017, 11:09 AM
I dont see that many in our team that couldnt do a job in the premier, our team is more set up for it than this league

Agree. We have consistently done well against SPL teams. I suspect the team (if we get promoted) will be pretty motivated in the majority of matches, and we know they do well if motivated. Frankly, the players must be fed up playing well organised, highly energetic teams that don't have the confidence to take us on in midfield.

Comon Hibs, get your **** back up to the SPL! :flag:

SteveHFC
26-03-2017, 11:11 AM
Bring in Miller, Fletcher and Deek :hyper

JimboHibs
26-03-2017, 11:17 AM
Erwin,Dobbie & Storey wouldn't want any of them as a striker.Do like the look of Boyce proven goalscorer with his best years still ahead.

hfc rd
26-03-2017, 11:26 AM
Out:-

Gallagher
Harris
Stanton
Handling
Forster
Holt
McLean
Shinnie
Cummings (reckon he'll be sold)

In:-
Marciano (permanent deal)
Ambrose (permanent deal), if not then Devlin
Mallan
Stokes
GMS
Whittaker
Swanson
Erwin

Smartie
I'm also surprised to see so many people wanting Fontaine to move on.

We've got 4 very good CHs, and we'll need them all next season as sometimes we may want to play 3 at a time (with one in reserve).

We do need to work out how to get more goals though.

DavidDavidGray
I'd keep Boyle, Keatings, Stevenson for the rest of his career and I'd try get Shinnie and Marciano in permanently as they've looked good this year. Think we need a goal scoring striker and maybe another midfielder. Would definitely in for Efe

Peevemor
26-03-2017, 11:30 AM
I'd be interested to see if we could take some of the best players from the championship up with us as it would maybe allow us to "unearth some gems" for relatively cheap?

I wonder how much we'd need to spend to get the likes of Ross Forbes from Morton, sibbald, mallan etc.
It worked for Jim Duffy...

MWHIBBIES
26-03-2017, 11:59 AM
Peter Grant couldn't lace Fontaines boots, absolutely not.

Stantons Angel
26-03-2017, 12:08 PM
For a squad of players playing for promotion you lot really give them the support and enthusiasm they need to get us over the line come May!

Im glad your not the manager!

Bit too early to be talking about a clear out, get behind them and give ALL of them that wee bit extra they may need after reading this!

bingo70
26-03-2017, 12:10 PM
Peter Grant couldn't lace Fontaines boots, absolutely not.

You've maybe got a better knowledge of him than me but he's got a good reputation and was excellent yesterday.

I think the benefit of someone like Grant is that he's got years on his side, Fontaine is approaching the end of his career where as Grant is reaching his peak soon.

I like Fontaine but given his age it wouldn't surprise me if he was attracted back down south to a club offering a longer term deal than we might be prepared to offer.

Zazu62
26-03-2017, 01:03 PM
If we can't get Marciano then we should try and get Bain from Dundee, also Crawford from Hamilton but doubt that would happen

makaveli1875
26-03-2017, 01:18 PM
what about tony andreu ? The type of player weve been crying out for all season , an attacking midfielder that can score goals

NAE NOOKIE
26-03-2017, 01:25 PM
Its time to unload guys who have hung around the club for a good few years now without breaking into the first team .... Handling, Stanton and Harris are the prime candidates, they aren't bad players but how much longer do we give them before its clear they wont make it as first team regulars at Hibs. If they weren't good enough for a shout in 3 championship seasons, in what way will they become good enough for a shout in the premiership? ...... As for the current first team I think we will keep most of them, but of the ones with question marks over them:

Marciano ...... Obviously a decent keeper, no idea what he earns at his Belgian club but I doubt its a lot more than we could pay.

Ambrose ...... No chance, he will be off down south and earn 3 or 4 times what we could pay.

Shinnie ........ Slim chance ... it depends if other clubs want him, he will be on good money at Birmingham but might consider Hibs if he doesn't get many offers and if his contract is about to expire down south.

McGinn ........ Its unlikely we would turn down any offer in excess of 2.5 million, it depends on who comes sniffing about, if he has to go a bidding war would be nice.

Cummings ..... Exactly the same as McGinn.

Even if we were to get a combined transfer fee of between 4 and 5 million for Cummings and McGinn it would do us little good in attracting players ... sure it would give us money to spend in the transfer market, but that money would be of little use unless we are also prepared to increase our wages budget substantially.

For example folk are talking about Stokes Stevie May and Steven Whittaker, all of whom probably earn in the 10 to 20 thousand pounds a week bracket ...... what's the chances of them coming to Hibs for a maximum 3 grand a week? .... even if they were available they would likely be on the radar of about 20 clubs who can pay more than us.

I wouldn't discount looking at at least a couple of Falkirk players ..... Houston maybe has them playing like a bunch of cloggers, but every time I've seen them when they stop kicking and start playing they actually look decent ... we could definitely pay better wages than Falkirk, but it then depends on transfer fees.

Ozyhibby
26-03-2017, 01:44 PM
You've maybe got a better knowledge of him than me but he's got a good reputation and was excellent yesterday.

I think the benefit of someone like Grant is that he's got years on his side, Fontaine is approaching the end of his career where as Grant is reaching his peak soon.

I like Fontaine but given his age it wouldn't surprise me if he was attracted back down south to a club offering a longer term deal than we might be prepared to offer.

Exactly. Fontaine has been good for Hibs, the only issue is age. The injuries are more frequent and take longer to recover from. He's been back up this season but as soon as he was needed he picked up an injury of his own right away. Devlin has youth on his side.

flash
26-03-2017, 02:32 PM
Nice to see James Keatings reward for turning the game for us yesterday is a queue of posters telling him he shouldn't be at the club.
Nice touch.

ancient hibee
26-03-2017, 02:40 PM
It worked for Jim Duffy...

In a nutshell.This desire to load the squad with very average players is astonishing.

HibernianJK
26-03-2017, 02:48 PM
I would like to see us go for the left back Holt from Dundee. Was very good for QOTS when I saw him and have been impressed in the (limited) times I've seen him for Dundee too. Would also provide real quality delivery from LB.

SRHibs
26-03-2017, 02:59 PM
Marciano
Whittaker - Hanlon - McGregor - New LB/LS
New RM - McGinn - McGeough - Shinnie
Cummings - Stokes

Would love to keep Efe however not sure where we'd play him with Hanlon/McGregor fit - in front of the back 2 maybe? Still, a couple of new players and we could have a really strong first team with a load of quality, provided we retain our best (unlikely probably).

Allant1981
26-03-2017, 03:15 PM
Exactly. Fontaine has been good for Hibs, the only issue is age. The injuries are more frequent and take longer to recover from. He's been back up this season but as soon as he was needed he picked up an injury of his own right away. Devlin has youth on his side.

fontaine is only 31, not exactly ancient, plus wasnt he injured in a game? not much you can do about that, could happen to any player at any age

J-C
26-03-2017, 03:27 PM
Marciano
Cummings - Stokes

Would love to keep Efe however not sure where we'd play him with Hanlon/McGregor fit - in front of the back 2 maybe? Still, a couple of new players and we could have a really strong first team with a load of quality, provided we retain our best (unlikely probably).

I take it you're not a fan of Lewis, almost a steady 7 every week, suppose all the managers who've picked him know nowt :confused:

Hopefully Crane will push him for a starting spot next season.

J-C
26-03-2017, 03:29 PM
Nice to see James Keatings reward for turning the game for us yesterday is a queue of posters telling him he shouldn't be at the club.
Nice touch.

1 piece of class every 6 games doesn't get you a new deal, do what he did every 2 games and the contract is his.

cabbageandribs1875
26-03-2017, 03:31 PM

caused by a bad tackle from a dunfermline player tbf, and he's only 31 so still a bit away from the knackers yard :)

thebausburst
26-03-2017, 03:33 PM
I recon Lennon will go for Henderson and Commons and look to re-sign our main 1st team guys on new/longer deals, don't see much cash left after that, don't expect 5 or 6 new players but a lot of fans will, cost of getting guys signed up along with even a couple of (for us) major signings won't leave much if anything in the budget!

J-C
26-03-2017, 03:34 PM
caused by a bad tackle from a dunfermline player tbf, and he's only 31 so still a bit away from the knackers yard :)

Same age as McGregor and no ones saying he's past it, Fontaine has a lot of experience and keeps himself fit, would be good back up for CH position, it's whether he wants to play back up.

Allant1981
26-03-2017, 03:47 PM
Same age as McGregor and no ones saying he's past it, Fontaine has a lot of experience and keeps himself fit, would be good back up for CH position, it's whether he wants to play back up.

quite a few saying to sign someone else due to his age though

ekhibee
26-03-2017, 03:49 PM
what about tony andreu ? The type of player weve been crying out for all season , an attacking midfielder that can score goals
I like him as a player, but he's just about the only good player DU have got, they'd want a fair amount of dosh for him. I think the same applies to Mallan of St Midden. I'd take the two of them in a heartbeat though.

we are hibs
26-03-2017, 03:55 PM
I like him as a player, but he's just about the only good player DU have got, they'd want a fair amount of dosh for him. I think the same applies to Mallan of St Midden. I'd take the two of them in a heartbeat though.

Hes on loan from Norwich

Dashing Bob S
26-03-2017, 04:21 PM
The boy to go for is Mallan. Only 20 and looks a player. Failing that Sibbald or Swanson. Goals from midfield essential next season.

Ozyhibby
26-03-2017, 05:05 PM
The boy to go for is Mallan. Only 20 and looks a player. Failing that Sibbald or Swanson. Goals from midfield essential next season.

Agree. Young up and coming players are where we should be looking.

Smartie
26-03-2017, 05:06 PM
Agree. Young up and coming players are where we should be looking.

The majority of our players should be young, but there is still a need for a bit of experience in the side somewhere.

mjhibby
26-03-2017, 05:22 PM
Its time to unload guys who have hung around the club for a good few years now without breaking into the first team .... Handling, Stanton and Harris are the prime candidates, they aren't bad players but how much longer do we give them before its clear they wont make it as first team regulars at Hibs. If they weren't good enough for a shout in 3 championship seasons, in what way will they become good enough for a shout in the premiership? ...... As for the current first team I think we will keep most of them, but of the ones with question marks over them:

Marciano ...... Obviously a decent keeper, no idea what he earns at his Belgian club but I doubt its a lot more than we could pay.

Ambrose ...... No chance, he will be off down south and earn 3 or 4 times what we could pay.

Shinnie ........ Slim chance ... it depends if other clubs want him, he will be on good money at Birmingham but might consider Hibs if he doesn't get many offers and if his contract is about to expire down south.

McGinn ........ Its unlikely we would turn down any offer in excess of 2.5 million, it depends on who comes sniffing about, if he has to go a bidding war would be nice.

Cummings ..... Exactly the same as McGinn.

Even if we were to get a combined transfer fee of between 4 and 5 million for Cummings and McGinn it would do us little good in attracting players ... sure it would give us money to spend in the transfer market, but that money would be of little use unless we are also prepared to increase our wages budget substantially.

For example folk are talking about Stokes Stevie May and Steven Whittaker, all of whom probably earn in the 10 to 20 thousand pounds a week bracket ...... what's the chances of them coming to Hibs for a maximum 3 grand a week? .... even if they were available they would likely be on the radar of about 20 clubs who can pay more than us.

I wouldn't discount looking at at least a couple of Falkirk players ..... Houston maybe has them playing like a bunch of cloggers, but every time I've seen them when they stop kicking and start playing they actually look decent ... we could definitely pay better wages than Falkirk, but it then depends on transfer fees.

Whittaker I suspect would love to return. Had had very little first team time and would be a good addition. I doubt very much if well go for stokes. With commons it all depends if he is still looking for one last payday. Nobody tried to get him in January. I suspect hell he off to the us. Stevie may may well he feasible I think and if he keeps fit would be ideal for us. No emergency loan deals anymore but with a much bigger budget I can see us getting two or three very good players in.

Roxyhibee
26-03-2017, 05:26 PM
Priority for me would be 2 new full backs. Gray will always be a hero and has excellent attributes but is simply too inconsistent, which is a shame as he is fantastic when on his game. Stevenson (love the guy also) is looking alright just now because we are 4-4-2 and his neat and tidy game isn't under too much pressure against Championship teams who don't attack us too much. But when asked to be a wing back, (part of the modern fullbacks game) getting into confident forward positions, putting in dangerous crosses, he is extremely limited.

Both guys rightly heroes but if we want to make a real impact in the SPL next year, these are 2 positions we need to improve on and we can. Looking at the 2007 LC winners yesterday reminded me we had easily the 2 best full backs in Scotland 10 years ago.

I think we can do very well next year regardless. And beyond. Never been so positive about my clubs future in over 50 years of constant support.

Northernhibee
26-03-2017, 05:33 PM
Marciano
Cummings - Stokes

In no way should we be dropping Lewis. Our best player for the last few months and Crane is decent backup.

Smartie
26-03-2017, 06:11 PM
If we're going to play wing-backs then I think it is reasonable to question whether or not Gray and Stevenson are what we are looking for.

It we are to go with fullbacks (as I think we should) then we already have 2 of the best in the country and should focus our attention elsewhere.

I honestly wouldn't be disrupting the defensive unit. I'd be renewing the contracts of everyone, keeping Crane as backup (hoping he'll push Stevenson for a place) and signing Rocky. If Whittaker was available, I'd bring him in as a utility player who could come in for either Stevenson or Gray, could probably play in a back 3 or in centre midfield.

I do think we need to give a lot of consideration to goalscoring though. It hasn't really been quite good enough for a while. We have plenty of players who are ok, inconsistent and can do a job but if we're serious about making an impact then we'll need a far sharper cutting edge.

MWHIBBIES
26-03-2017, 06:23 PM
Priority for me would be 2 new full backs. Gray will always be a hero and has excellent attributes but is simply too inconsistent, which is a shame as he is fantastic when on his game. Stevenson (love the guy also) is looking alright just now because we are 4-4-2 and his neat and tidy game isn't under too much pressure against Championship teams who don't attack us too much. But when asked to be a wing back, (part of the modern fullbacks game) getting into confident forward positions, putting in dangerous crosses, he is extremely limited.

Both guys rightly heroes but if we want to make a real impact in the SPL next year, these are 2 positions we need to improve on and we can. Looking at the 2007 LC winners yesterday reminded me we had easily the 2 best full backs in Scotland 10 years ago.

I think we can do very well next year regardless. And beyond. Never been so positive about my clubs future in over 50 years of constant support.Priority is absolutely not replacing Lewis. He has played brilliantly against SPL sides in the last 3 years, no problem at left back at all.

We need 2 forwards, an attacking midfielder and a winger before we even think about Lewis.

mcfly
26-03-2017, 06:26 PM
I believe our current squad is quite capable of competing in the SPL, as proven by our performances in the cup over the last 2 seasons. Not withstanding that, the SPL is a poor league, and there for the taking, so would love to see ambition from the board by backing Lennon to have a go at Celtic.
For that to happen it's imperative that we retain JC and do whatever it takes to sign Ambrose, if we can add Blair Alston as well I'd be more than happy.

Sorry but Jason is the only striker I'd keep.

The rest just don't score enough. If they don't score in the championship
They won't score in top league.

mcfly
26-03-2017, 06:28 PM
[QUOTE=flash;4989387]Nice to see James Keatings reward for turning the game for us yesterday is a queue of posters telling him he shouldn't be at the club.
Nice touch.[/QUOTE

Did you see him last week?? Awful

He's a good sub to come on - not good enough to start a game

WeeRussell
26-03-2017, 06:30 PM

It would take a hell of a lot more than adding Blair Alston to our current group of players to "have a go at Celtic"!!!!

Sir David Gray
26-03-2017, 06:39 PM
We don't score anywhere near enough goals or even threaten to score anywhere near enough goals at the moment. We need a couple of attack minded midfield/winger types, someone who is going to score between 7-10 goals a season and we also need another striker who is capable of scoring around 15 goals a season to compliment Jason Cummings.

Otherwise I feel that we're going to struggle next season.

HoboHarry
27-03-2017, 01:47 PM
Sorry but Jason is the only striker I'd keep.

The rest just don't score enough. If they don't score in the championship
They won't score in top league.
Nonsense. Teams in the Premiership won't play with 10 men behind the ball and Keatings and others will get more time. I would have thought that was obvious.

B.H.F.C
27-03-2017, 02:33 PM
Nonsense. Teams in the Premiership won't play with 10 men behind the ball and Keatings and others will get more time. I would have thought that was obvious.

Keep reading this thing about how we'll get so much more time in the Premiership and I don't buy it. We will be playing against better players, they will all be full time for a start.

I know our record in the cups has been superb over the last year or two but there is no way we will achieve that kind of consistencey in the league. If we did we'd be challenging to win the thing and that ain't going to happen. Cup football is played differently. In the league, with points at stake I think a lot of teams will still come to ER and sit in the way teams do against us now.

Now I'm not saying that it's a huge jump in quality, certainly not to the bottom half of the league. But I think we are the only team in the Championship that would go up and challenge to be in the top six though.

If the likes of Keatings can't get a regular game for us in this league then I don't think they are going to help us challenge in the league above.

Geo_1875
27-03-2017, 02:35 PM
I don't understand the clamour to buy championship players for our assault on the premier league. If these guys at Falkirk, St Mirren and QoS were any good they wouldn't be at Falkirk, St Mirren or QoS.

HibsNutter
27-03-2017, 02:41 PM
Keep reading this thing about how we'll get so much more time in the Premiership and I don't buy it. We will be playing against better players, they will all be full time for a start.

I know our record in the cups has been superb over the last year or two but there is no way we will achieve that kind of consistencey in the league. If we did we'd be challenging to win the thing and that ain't going to happen. Cup football is played differently. In the league, with points at stake I think a lot of teams will still come to ER and sit in the way teams do against us now.

Now I'm not saying that it's a huge jump in quality, certainly not to the bottom half of the league. But I think we are the only team in the Championship that would go up and challenge to be in the top six though.

If the likes of Keatings can't get a regular game for us in this league then I don't think they are going to help us challenge in the league above.

Teams like Hamilton, Killie, Ross County etc will try to sit in against us in the same way that Dumbarton, Raith and Ayr do.

erin go bragh
27-03-2017, 02:44 PM

The left back for St Mirren ( Cypriot guy ) Looked a player . Much more attack minded than Lewis imo .

Smartie
27-03-2017, 02:48 PM
I don't understand the clamour to buy championship players for our assault on the premier league. If these guys at Falkirk, St Mirren and QoS were any good they wouldn't be at Falkirk, St Mirren or QoS.

And of Scotland's team last night I suppose if Andy Robertson was any good he'd have never been at Queens Park, Griffiths and Snodgrass would have never been at Livingston etc etc etc.

I don't think we should saturate the squad with "Championship players" but I am not against buying the odd player who I have seen in the flesh play well against us.

Or do you long for the days when we were buying ex-Chelsea man Joe Keenan, ex-Newcastle starlet Alan O'Brien and former million pound man Rowan Vine?

JDHibs
27-03-2017, 03:03 PM
McGinn came from St Mirren, hes doing not bad.

Dundee Utd were good at picking youngsters up from lower teams, GMS from Airdrie, Robertson from Queens Park, they seem to be doing ok.

Players like Sibbald is a stand out every week and has been for a few seasons. 21 with nearly 200 league appearances will cost quite a bit compo. Only maybe 4 or 5 teams in Scotland could afford to pay it.

Thats why players like Mallan are still at St Mirren, not because they arent good enough but the clubs want decent cash for these players than no one can afford. Dundee has several bids of around £85k rejected for Mallan in the summer. McGinn cost £240k.

You could build a decent team to challenge the for a top 6 position cherry picking players from the championship, even if you take Hibs completely out of it.

BSEJVT
27-03-2017, 03:13 PM
I think many (me included) overlook the fact that the reason we are so mean defensively and don't lose many games is that we have midfielders prepared to tackle and compete and do all the things necessary to protect the defence.

The quid pro quo for that at our place in the football food chain is that they might not be the best going forward.

One of my good friends is Jambo, but a sensible one you can debate football with without all the 5-1 guff and a guy who played at a decent level who knows the game.

He told me when the Hearts team that romped the championship went up that they would look and play nothing like that the following season, and was correct.

His view is that the SPL is full of giant burly guys everyone of whom can run forever and tackle anything that moves and very few of whom can play football at all, Hearts included (his words)

Anyone that expects Hibs to become this pretty free scoring football side full of slight wingers and flare players when we get promoted is going to be really disappointed, particularly if Neil Lennon remains manager.

We will firstly compete and then take it from there. You could argue that our major failing has been having a non scoring striker in Holt as Boyle has rattled in a few.

BTW this isn't a dig at Holt or an attempt to reopen the debate over him

I like Holt and think he has done a good job for a guy his age and build and have said so often and IMO he has contributed massively to our being harder to intimidate or beat, but I think the fact that he spends so much of his time not in the box (and by this I don't mean hovering around the edge, I mean out on the wings) doesn't give the midfield any chance to run onto flicks on's or lay offs.

It also means that when balls go into the box from open play that Jason is more often than not on his own which makes his record all the more remarkable, but also reduces the chances of scrapped for balls falling to midfielders breaking into the box

Would Keatings have scored his goal on Saturday if Holt was still on, I doubt it as he would never have received the ball where he did.

Neither SJM & Shinnie have performed as well as I had hoped or their abilities merit and their major failing has been their lack of goals, for the reason I have sated above though they do have their excuses although IMO Shinnie who gets into far better positions more often less so as I feel he has been wasteful or lacked composure too often.

JohnMcM
27-03-2017, 03:35 PM
For a squad of players playing for promotion you lot really give them the support and enthusiasm they need to get us over the line come May!

Im glad your not the manager!

Bit too early to be talking about a clear out, get behind them and give ALL of them that wee bit extra they may need after reading this!

I'm agreement with this.

In addition, we should remember that perhaps we are playing a style of football that is designed to get us out of this league against teams that mostly shut up shop against us.

Compare the way we played against the yams and others including D Utd. Almost everyone on here said we played well. Maybe that was because we were able to play football. Yet, many of those players that some want to off-load now, played their part in those games.

All about opinions I suppose.

:flag:

jacomo
27-03-2017, 03:37 PM
Not so sure I want to see the wholesale changes that have been mentioned. We then find ourselves struggling and the old transition excuse is bandied about.

It's madness.

I've seen enough Hibs squads to know that this is the best group of players we've had for a while. I am also familiar with that feeling of dread going into the last day of the transfer window knowing that there are problems everywhere.

Some people would willingly empty Keatings, Graham and Holt while also knowing that Cummings could be the subject of an offer that's too good to turn down.

Replace all four strikers in one window? No thanks.

mcfly
27-03-2017, 03:44 PM
It's madness.

I've seen enough Hibs squads to know that this is the best group of players we've had for a while. I am also familiar with that feeling of dread going into the last day of the transfer window knowing that there are problems everywhere.

Some people would willingly empty Keatings, Graham and Holt while also knowing that Cummings could be the subject of an offer that's too good to turn down.

Replace all four strikers in one window? No thanks.

Ok please tell me why you would keep holt graham and keatings

How many goals have they scored between them??

If they don't score in championship they won't score in premier league

I'd be amazed and worried if we didn't sign a better striker.

HoboHarry
27-03-2017, 03:47 PM

Can you avail us of your reasoning for that?

mcfly
27-03-2017, 03:52 PM
Can you avail us of your reasoning for that?

Fairly obvious - playing against better players.

As I said tell me how many goals they've scored

supermcginn
27-03-2017, 04:07 PM

Folk seem to think playing against better players, having less of the ball and having less chances will magically turn guys who cant score in the championship into prolific top flight strikers it's mad! We need more firepower next year desperately!

HoboHarry
27-03-2017, 04:09 PM

Ah right - here was me thinking that other teams tactics of parking the bus might be a factor. Silly me.....

mcfly
27-03-2017, 04:11 PM
Ah right - here was me thinking that other teams tactics of parking the bus might be a factor. Silly me.....

Still no answered how many goals they've scored

Rather be sarcastic / how mature

jacomo
27-03-2017, 04:37 PM

Ok I thought I made that pretty clear...

All these guys offer something IMO. None of them has done enough either and if we can improve on them great. 'If' being the operative word. If we need to replace Cummings this summer (I hope not) then we will already have one position to fill.

We should always be looking to improve the squad. But - assuming we go up - this squad needs improvement, not wholesale change.

All IMO.

mcfly
27-03-2017, 04:40 PM
Ok I thought I made that pretty clear...

All these guys offer something IMO. None of them has done enough either and if we can improve on them great. 'If' being the operative word. If we need to replace Cummings this summer (I hope not) then we will already have one position to fill.

We should always be looking to improve the squad. But - assuming we go up - this squad needs improvement, not wholesale change.

All IMO.

Seeing as you can't answer my question I'll answer it for you

2 for keatings
3 for holt
4 for graham

Hardly prolific.

That's why they will be replaced and if we have to replace Jason's you think that 9 goals between our strikers is enough. If you do then you need to think again

Stantons Angel
27-03-2017, 04:42 PM
You are so right in what you say. Lennon has told us he will play the way he sees as right for each individual game. Some of the players mentioned played in the most difficult of games in a way some what foreign to them. At a time when we need to be pushing together to get them over the line carving up the squad before we get there is taking things to far to quickly. Lets concentrate on the games coming up first!

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

StevieT
27-03-2017, 04:43 PM
There seems to be a lot of discussion, particularly about our strikers.Who to keep? Who to let go? Some of these players would score more in the Premier v if they can't score at this level how will they score in the Premier.

The way I see it is this.

Holt was brought in to a do a job; be the target man, get in about defenders, bring other players in to the game, score goals (not necessarily in that order). He has done that to a certain degree and has been more successful at some more than others.

Graham is a similar player to Holt but has his down sides too; first touch can let him down but I believe that he is better in the air than Holt (Keatings goal was the result of a Graham flick).

Keatings has possibly one of the best first touches in the first team squad. He is two footed and has shown that he can finish. I think he is a better player when there is space for him to play in rather than the ten man defence we play against most weeks.

Boyle makes chances for himself that no-one else could because of his pace. Sure he misses chances but these are often chances he had no right to have in the first place.

There are those who argue that if these players don't score in this league then what chance do they have in the Premier. I think that we would get a better return on some of those players as they will get a lot more space compared to this season. How many times in the past three seasons have we been at Easter Road and a team has scored with their one / two shots on target? These players aren't world beaters but, when we are constantly attacking, they do get more time and space to pick a shot rather than having to shoot past two banks of four.

It is for this reason I think that Keatings and Boyle may score more in the Premier; Keatings has the skill and the shooting in both feet to cause damage, whilst Boyle has pace to burn.

Still need more goals from midfield though.

where'stheslope
27-03-2017, 06:26 PM

Hamilton for one, Ross County for two and Inverness Caley for three!!!

In the premiership its all about staying there, and they are just the same as the Championship, anything to get points!!!

What we need is a fluent team that can adapt to what is thrown at us in the top league.

At the moment we seem to toil if a team comes and parks the bus, we don't have the fluency to get round this, goal scorers are essential but so is creative midfielders who can add goals!

Its easy to talk about what and who we need, its harder to get them in.

I would look only in the first season to cement our position in the league, but if we can do top 6, we will be doing well!!!!

J-C
27-03-2017, 08:56 PM
Is everyone forgetting Ross C and how they played in that League cup final, 10 men behind the ball and hit on the break and we all know how that worked out.

We have a decent squad who when they play well can hold their own with most SPFL teams, even Celtic but who are not consistent enough, especially against defensive minded teams.

Hopefully when we go up we can add strength in the wide areas, add competition to certain areas and be able to compete and win against any shape of team we come up against.

We have a number of players out of contract at the end of the season, the majority of the better ones will get a new deal and a few fringe players will move on, it's the nature of the beast. I'd expect to see back and squad players out of contract moving on with better players coming in to strengthen and push 1st team players for their positions.

Players to go will probably be

Insall, Harris, Handling, Stanton, Holt and maybe Humphrey(deal to end of season)

Others may be Keatings and Graham but it depends on Lennon, plus we may lose Shinnie and Rocky due to them only being on loan.

It looks like 5-6 players will be needed to strengthen the squad.

jacomo
27-03-2017, 09:12 PM
Seeing as you can't answer my question I'll answer it for you

2 for keatings
3 for holt
4 for graham

Hardly prolific.

That's why they will be replaced and if we have to replace Jason's you think that 9 goals between our strikers is enough. If you do then you need to think again

No need to get snippy.

You asked why I would keep them and I answered you.

I agree that they don't score enough goals. If we can sign better then great. I just caution against wholesale changes.

eastcoasthibby
27-03-2017, 09:35 PM
This must be a real thread to boost and lift the likes of Keating's, foster, fullbacks, Holt, graham ..players we will be expecting to deliver for us i n the weeks to come ..

dp00
27-03-2017, 10:09 PM
If they get us promoted and 2 in a row they can all stay

pacorosssco
28-03-2017, 12:03 AM
I see big changes squad end of season. Many be moved on suspect some big decesions already made.

RIP Bestie
28-03-2017, 12:15 AM
If we get promoted, who do we want in? And who do we expect to leave?

Personally I think the following:

Out

Scott Gallagher
Jordon Forster
Alex Harris
Sam Stanton
Danny Handling
James Keatings
Brian Graham
Grant Holt
Liam Fontaine - dependent on who we could get in
Plus a couple of youngsters/loans expiring.

I don't think that's unreasonable but would fairly cut our squad especially when you think bids for Cummings and Mcginn are likely

I would like to see us go for the following.

Strikers - We need guys up here that can do different jobs, but overall he confident that every time they're on they can contribute or influence the game in terms of goals

Stephen Dobbie - i get he is old but he has shown he can score goals and get assists. He would be a good option to have imo.

Miles Storey - limited game time at Aberdeen, skillful and stretches the game, can play further wide too. Knows where the net is

Lee Erwin - struggled to make the step up at Leeds. Similar to Storey

Moult/ Boyce - bigger sort of players both scoring regularly for there clubs, could we afford to prize them away? Will they have better options?

Midfield- we are crying out for influential players that can score goals, make things happen and have pace

Craig Sibbald - he always seems to score from midfield, something we lack however I'm not sure where he would play

Gary McKay Steven - crying out for a player like him

Alex Crawford - Regular player for Hamilton who scores regularly

Swanson - linked with him every summer, can score and create

Shinnie - not everyone's cup of tea but imo a good player who will be better in the spl when teams commit more against us

Scott Allan - the only place he has done well

Defence

Cammy Kerr - Seems a solid right back and could provide good competition for Gray who has went off it

Devlin- Doing really well at Hamilton and a young centre half

Peter Grant - replacement for Jordon/fonts

Keepers
Marciano - would love to see him sign permanently

Danny Rodgers - if we were unable to get

I think the majority there are realistic and could prove and extra dimension, that and a couple more physical players and we would be onto something imo.

lol

Forza Fred
28-03-2017, 12:28 AM

With all due respect, I have heard this mantra repeated several times, and I am still surprised at the inference that we will do better with the same players,consistently, against better teams.

We simply do not currently have the attacking prowess that we need for the top division, and if Cummungs goes as I think he will, we would carry little threat at all.

Big90inOz
28-03-2017, 12:33 AM
What a stupid thread to have considering we are not yet promoted and still in the SC
Players are going to love seeing the "supporters" wanting them moved on at the end of the season

I think some people get a buzz out of self destruction

FitbaFolkKen
28-03-2017, 12:41 AM
This must be a real thread to boost and lift the likes of Keating's, foster, fullbacks, Holt, graham ..players we will be expecting to deliver for us i n the weeks to come ..

If a thread like this has any bearing on their performance then they shouldn't be at the club.

I think we'll see massive changes in the summer and I'm excited to see what Lennon builds. However I reckon it will be a hard to beat team as opposed to playing with style. Fingers crossed we get both steel and style.