PDA

View Full Version : Fernando Ricksen

Babyshamble
25-03-2017, 10:14 PM
Just seen a few fotos on my FB newsfeed of him.heartbreaking to see him like that.was a top player.so sad.keep fighting Fernando 💚

hfc rd
25-03-2017, 10:21 PM
Hated him as a player but really sad to see him struggling like this. Would never wish this upon anyone. Keep fighting Fernando!

pacorosssco
25-03-2017, 10:32 PM
Hated him as a player but really sad to see him struggling like this. Would never wish this upon anyone. Keep fighting Fernando!

Yes a cruel disease and best of luck to him regardless what thought of him before.

Sir David Gray
25-03-2017, 11:09 PM
Basic respect for a fellow human being has to come before any feelings towards someone based on how they used to act on a football pitch.

I wouldn't wish motor neurone disease on my worst enemy and I can't imagine the pain and heartache that Ricksen and his family and friends must be going through and I hope that I never will.

The fact that he's only 40 years old is absolutely tragic and it's hard to think that someone who was an elite sportsman just a few years ago is now going through this.

I wish him all the best and I hope he finds the strength to fight this awful illness for as long as he possibly can.

Lancs Harp
25-03-2017, 11:13 PM
Very sad.

I think they had a benefit game for him today at Fleetwood. It drew a gate of just under 5000 which I think is the highest attendance at Fleetwood this season. You wouldnt wish that on anyone. Keep fighting it Fernando.

kaimendhibs
25-03-2017, 11:44 PM
Very very sad. Best wishes Fernando.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

lapsedhibee
26-03-2017, 07:48 AM
was a top player
Was he? My memory is of a hun thug who got away with murder because he was a hun.

SRHibs
26-03-2017, 07:52 AM
Was he? My memory is of a hun thug who got away with murder because he was a hun.

Reminds me a bit of Lennon as a player. The type of guy you love to have playing for you, but everyone else hates him.

Thecat23
26-03-2017, 04:22 PM

I always liked him as a player. Hard as nails and technically a good football player. Yes he had some moments like the elbow at Hampden when we won on pens but I'd have had him any day in my team.

Sweet Left Peg
26-03-2017, 05:13 PM
It's a truly horrid disease that I wouldn't wish on anyone.

Lago
26-03-2017, 05:29 PM
Top player.

snooky
26-03-2017, 05:41 PM
Reminds me a bit of Lennon as a player. The type of guy you love to have playing for you, but everyone else hates him.

Exactly.
All the best to him.

madabouthibs
26-03-2017, 05:59 PM
That fact that most of us hated him as a player is pretty much a compliment to his ability.
Very sad to see him like this. :-(

Itsnoteasy
26-03-2017, 06:05 PM
That fact that most of us hated him as a player is pretty much a compliment to his ability.
Very sad to see him like this. :-(

He wisnae very good, an average player in a good team. He was just a twat
A bit like Andy Watson at Aberdeen minus the twat.

madabouthibs
26-03-2017, 06:15 PM
He wisnae very good, an average player in a good team. He was just a twat
A bit like Andy Watson at Aberdeen minus the twat.
Yup, average enough to play for his country.

givescotlandfreedom
26-03-2017, 06:16 PM
It's really horrible what's happened to him. Terrible illness, especially happening to someone so young.

NORTHERNHIBBY
26-03-2017, 06:24 PM
Saw his picture on the back of the Hunday Mail. Would not have recognised him. Real shame.

Renfrew_Hibby
26-03-2017, 06:25 PM
Saw him when he was out with some Dutch pals while shopping at Silverburn a few months ago. Couldn't believe how he was compared to how I remember him.
Such a shame.

Smartie
26-03-2017, 06:35 PM

And we're not talking about San Marino either.

You don't play for the Netherlands if you're not a top player.

lapsedhibee
26-03-2017, 07:01 PM
And we're not talking about San Marino either.

You don't play for the Netherlands if you're not a top player.

So does top mean 'international' ?

Top players I remember at the huns were Gazza and Laudrup. Ricksen wouldn't even register on their scale of topness.

Or maybe Gazza and Laudrup were top, top players? :confused:

26-03-2017, 07:02 PM
Yes a cruel disease and best of luck to him regardless what thought of him before.

Absolutely. I never liked him when he played for rangers but who the hell cares, its just a game of football at the end of the day and absolutely nobody deserves that. Heartbreaking to see how he is now. So incredibly sad.

All my thoughts to him and his family. Keep fighting Fernando!

Lancs Harp
26-03-2017, 07:05 PM
Eh come on lads the boys extremely ill, should we really be discussing if he was top, ***** or whatever?

26-03-2017, 07:05 PM

Yep. I hated Lennon at Celtic, I thought he was a mouthy, bad tempered dickhead but he is absolutely someone you want on your side as he is so passionate and someone who just wants to go out and win everything.

Itsnoteasy
26-03-2017, 07:31 PM

Medals Mckay played for Scotland

Moody Blues
26-03-2017, 07:36 PM
Eh come on lads the boys extremely ill, should we really be discussing if he was top, ***** or whatever?

Well said....a little respect for a guy with a horrible illness, no matter who he played for.

Babyshamble
26-03-2017, 07:40 PM

Yes he was imo.

givescotlandfreedom
26-03-2017, 07:41 PM

Doesn't seem much to ask for.

Itsnoteasy
26-03-2017, 08:24 PM
Plenty other ordinary pleasant mannered people suffer from this sickening illness. This was a guy who caused mayhem while in Scotland. First player to be trialed by video evidence & found guilty for a karate style kick on Darren Young. One xmas day crashed his car into a tree & was 2 times over the legal limit, charged & guilty again. Let fireworks off in the middle of the night, a neighbour came out and complained saying his kids were sleeping he then assaults him charged & guilty again
Abused an air steward on a pre season flight to South Africa.
Maybe it's just Rangers to blame for all the above.

Mr White
26-03-2017, 08:34 PM
Plenty other ordinary pleasant mannered people suffer from this sickening illness. This was a guy who caused mayhem while in Scotland. First player to be trialed by video evidence & found guilty for a karate style kick on Darren Young. One xmas day crashed his car into a tree & was 2 times over the legal limit, charged & guilty again. Let fireworks off in the middle of the night, a neighbour came out and complained saying his kids were sleeping he then assaults him charged & guilty again

FFS he's human. Despite the previous poor behaviour you list he doesn't deserve the horrible torture of the illness he's currently experiencing.

Are you suggesting only pleasant mild mannered sufferers of MND deserve any sympathy or good wishes?

Babyshamble
26-03-2017, 08:55 PM

Are you saying he deserves it ? Shocking post .

Martin Dundas
26-03-2017, 10:10 PM
Are you saying he deserves it ? Shocking post .

The guy has a horrible illness and it is really sad for him, his family and his friends.

Sir David Gray
26-03-2017, 10:23 PM

That's a shameful post.

NORTHERNHIBBY
26-03-2017, 10:24 PM

I think that this post needs to be removed.

HoboHarry
26-03-2017, 10:25 PM
I hope you have never posted the term "Hibs Class" - with posts like that you clearly are not......

HoboHarry
26-03-2017, 10:27 PM
I think that this post needs to be removed.
I don't - everyone should continue to see that one of "our own" could be that crass. I hope he is embarrassed when he sobers up.....

Super_JMcGinn
26-03-2017, 10:55 PM
I hope you have never posted the term "Hibs Class" - with posts like that you clearly are not......

I think that post confirms he's not a Hibs fan in anyway shape or form, only a supporter of a certain club would post that garbage on a Hibs forum. It beggars belief that a post like that is allowed to pass.

Dunbar Hibee
26-03-2017, 11:24 PM
That's a shameful post.

How is that a shameful post?

Dashing Bob S
26-03-2017, 11:34 PM
I think that post confirms he's not a Hibs fan in anyway shape or form, only a supporter of a certain club would post that garbage on a Hibs forum. It beggars belief that a post like that is allowed to pass.

Now we're just being silly. There is no identikit Hibs supporter. It doesn't beggar belief at all that it was allowed to pass. Everybody has opinions. (And for what it's worth I agree it was mean spirited and I'll considered to make such a post on a public forum, whatever your view of Ricksen as a person.)

Nakedmanoncrack
27-03-2017, 02:50 PM

It's an entirely truthful post, of course nobody wishes the suffering he is enduring on him. But why pretend he was somebody else, exaggerate his ability etc? It's a nonsense.

Dunbar Hibee
27-03-2017, 02:56 PM
It's an entirely truthful post, of course nobody wishes the suffering he is enduring on him. But why pretend he was somebody else, exaggerate his ability etc? It's a nonsense.

I agree.

HoboHarry
27-03-2017, 03:00 PM
Aye a player with 13 full caps for the Netherlands and 13 major honours won in his career must be poor right enough......

Nakedmanoncrack
27-03-2017, 03:08 PM
Aye a player with 13 full caps for the Netherlands and 13 major honours won in his career must be poor right enough......

Depends who you are comparing him to, loads of players have played for the Netherlands- only a few have been great players, some have been good, some have been poor. Ricksen earned a handful of caps, he wasn't a Numan or Van Bronkhorst for example. Off top of head I can think of likes of Bert Konterman, Watterous (?) (forgot his first name) and even Regi Blinker who were capped occasionally around similar era.

CropleyWasGod
27-03-2017, 03:09 PM

Nah, every support has its good guys and bad guys.

Sir David Gray
27-03-2017, 06:08 PM

Several posts condemning this particular post and you only pick up on mine?

Since you've asked though I think it was shameful as there's no need to point out his previous indiscretions. No-one's saying he didn't have his faults during his career and in his private life but the post in question suggested that Ricksen didn't deserve sympathy because he had lead a dubious lifestyle and had some some dodgy things on the football pitch.

Fernando Ricksen is a high profile person who has one of the worst illnesses I can think of, one which has no cure. I think it's good that people are talking about his case to publicise MND and to try and promote research into finding a cure.

greenlex
28-03-2017, 02:16 AM
Several posts condemning this particular post and you only pick up on mine?

Since you've asked though I think it was shameful as there's no need to point out his previous indiscretions. No-one's saying he didn't have his faults during his career and in his private life but the post in question suggested that Ricksen didn't deserve sympathy because he had lead a dubious lifestyle and had some some dodgy things on the football pitch.

Fernando Ricksen is a high profile person who has one of the worst illnesses I can think of, one which has no cure. I think it's good that people are talking about his case to publicise MND and to try and promote research into finding a cure.
Cant argue with the last paragraph but I'm sure the poster was insinuating that there are just as many if not more deserving cases of this affliction worthy of pity rather than saying Rickson deserves it. Done in a ham fisted nanner for sure. Might be wrong of course.

heidtheba
28-03-2017, 08:39 AM
Cant argue with the last paragraph but I'm sure the poster was insinuating that there are just as many if not more deserving cases of this affliction worthy of pity rather than saying Rickson deserves it. Done in a ham fisted nanner for sure. Might be wrong of course.

That's the way I read it. I didn't see it is a 'he deserves it' post at all.

lapsedhibee
28-03-2017, 08:59 AM
I didn't see it is a 'he deserves it' post at all.

:agree:

blackpoolhibs
28-03-2017, 08:27 PM
I think it's quite normal not to have the same kind of sympathy for Rickson than say someone like Davie Cooper or Brian Laudrup. Both these players were decent blokes, who played football with a bit of style.

Rickson was a bit of an animal, who seemed to buy into the hun thing and loved playing to the hordes.

Its a terrible thing thats happened to him, nobody deserves this.

Although i can understand why some folk, rightly or wrongly won't be showing as much sympathy as they would for others.

Dashing Bob S
28-03-2017, 08:32 PM
I think it's quite normal not to have the same kind of sympathy for Rickson than say someone like Davie Cooper or Brian Laudrup. Both these players were decent blokes, who played football with a bit of style.

Rickson was a bit of an animal, who seemed to buy into the hun thing and loved playing to the hordes.

Although i can understand why some folk, rightly or wrongly won't be showing as much sympathy as they would for others.

I think it would be very strange to have the same level of sympathy for everybody stricken down with a horrible disease. (The old Hitler v Mother Teressa arguement.)

I personally do think that the decent option, if you feel that way, is to keep quiet about it. But not everybody does and GG expressed his view, and a lot of the reaction to it is over the top.

givescotlandfreedom
28-03-2017, 08:39 PM

I don't want to steer off the thread but I've read on here or the bounce before Davie Cooper was quite a bigot. Before my time.

blackpoolhibs
28-03-2017, 08:41 PM
I don't want to steer off the thread but I've read on here or the bounce before Davie Cooper was quite a bigot. Before my time.

I'd never heard any of that, and that would change my mind on him.

snooky
28-03-2017, 08:47 PM
I think it would be very strange to have the same level of sympathy for everybody stricken down with a horrible disease. (The old Hitler v Mother Teressa arguement.)

I personally do think that the decent option, if you feel that way, is to keep quiet about it. But not everybody does and GG expressed his view, and a lot of the reaction to it is over the top.

Totally agree, DBS. Threads like these and obituaries are not the place to air grievances.
Common decency should prevail, IMO.

Biggie
28-03-2017, 08:55 PM
It's sad to see a former professional athelete deteriorate like this....god only know how he must be thinking about it.

givescotlandfreedom
28-03-2017, 09:27 PM

It was this thread I read it on a while back http://www.hibeesbounce.com/showthread.php?118152-Davie-Cooper

The Baldmans Comb
29-03-2017, 04:48 AM

You should try reading his autobiography. It caused a stink at the time and the offending paragraphs were removed from print reruns.

The jist of it as serialised in the newspapers was that Cooper was a bigot who disliked Catholics. "If a Catholic lived next door to him then he would move" and like his big pal Derek Johnstone preferred the now defunct Rangers had retained their "traditional" signing policy.

Rickson was a very nasty piece of work as both a footballer and a person and is a brave dignified man as he faces up to death.

Super_JMcGinn
29-03-2017, 10:08 AM

Many an intelligent person saw similarities between the likes of Hitler and Mother Theresa, the late Christopher Hitchens for one. But he could back up his sometimes controversial views with fact and knowledge, not because someone played for a certain football team.

Hibs Class
29-03-2017, 10:12 AM
You should try reading his autobiography. It caused a stink at the time and the offending paragraphs were removed from print reruns.

The jist of it as serialised in the newspapers was that Cooper was a bigot who disliked Catholics. "If a Catholic lived next door to him then he would move" and like his big pal Derek Johnstone preferred the now defunct Rangers had retained their "traditional" signing policy.

Rickson was a very nasty piece of work as both a footballer and a person and is a brave dignified man as he faces up to death.

I'd be surprised if anyone on .net knows Ricksen well enough to be able to characterise him as a very nasty piece of work as a person.

tamig
29-03-2017, 10:51 AM
I'd be surprised if anyone on .net knows Ricksen well enough to be able to characterise him as a very nasty piece of work as a person.

I think Gorgiegreens stated some facts in his controversial post that would back that view up.

Thecat23
29-03-2017, 11:16 AM
I couldn't care less about his past, I honestly feel so sorry on him. Horrible disease that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

Hibs Class
29-03-2017, 11:23 AM
I think Gorgiegreens stated some facts in his controversial post that would back that view up.

If people are basing their views on gorgiegreens' representation of "facts" then I think they need to widen their sources of information.

tamig
29-03-2017, 04:24 PM
If people are basing their views on gorgiegreens' representation of "facts" then I think they need to widen their sources of information.

Are you disputing the statements about the convictions he's mentioned. Not sure how you determine your "facts" but what he mentioned are facts. Fact.

Pretty Boy
29-03-2017, 04:28 PM
I couldn't care less about his past, I honestly feel so sorry on him. Horrible disease that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

Sums it up for me.

I hated Ricksen at Rangers but we are talking about a man who is going to die, relatively soon, because of a very cruel illness. All I feel for him now is sympathy.

tamig
29-03-2017, 04:33 PM
Sums it up for me.

I hated Ricksen at Rangers but we are talking about a man who is going to die, relatively soon, because of a very cruel illness. All I feel for him now is sympathy.
I feel sorry for him too. Does that level of sympathy extend to everyone? How did you feel about Mercer when he was diagnosed with cancer?

Hibs Class
29-03-2017, 04:35 PM
Are you disputing the statements about the convictions he's mentioned. Not sure how you determine your "facts" but what he mentioned are facts. Fact.

I think there is a degree of spin in the way he has presented the facts and I think they lack context. Even if they were true and unspun I wouldn't immediately jump to the conclusion that he must be a very nasty person.

Pretty Boy
29-03-2017, 04:37 PM
I feel sorry for him too. Does that level of sympathy extend to everyone? How did you feel about Mercer when he was diagnosed with cancer?

Not everyone. I don't think anything Ricksen done, on or off a football pitch, is serious enough for me to take any pleasure, or even be apathetic to, his current situation.

Being younger and stupider when Mercer died I joined in with the songs and so on and didn't really care a lot. I doubt I'd do the same now, whether that equals sympathy or not is debatable.

tamig
29-03-2017, 04:44 PM
Not everyone. I don't think anything Ricksen done, on or off a football pitch, is serious enough for me to take any pleasure, or even be apathetic to, his current situation.

Being younger and stupider when Mercer died I joined in with the songs and so on and didn't really care a lot. I doubt I'd do the same now, whether that equals sympathy or not is debatable.
Well I'm a bit older than you and still join in his song. I despised the man and had no sympathy for him whatsoever. Ricksen, on the other hand, I do feel for.

tamig
29-03-2017, 04:48 PM
I think there is a degree of spin in the way he has presented the facts and I think they lack context. Even if they were true and unspun I wouldn't immediately jump to the conclusion that he must be a very nasty person.
A guy with multiple convictions for assault isn't necessarily a very nasty person but I'd say they're more likely to be nasty than not. I thought you were disputing the integrity of the charges the guy had listed.

Super_JMcGinn
29-03-2017, 05:08 PM
Well I'm a bit older than you and still join in his song. I despised the man and had no sympathy for him whatsoever. Ricksen, on the other hand, I do feel for.
Carrying that kind of hatred around with you won't do your health any good at all.

tamig
29-03-2017, 05:15 PM
Carrying that kind of hatred around with you won't do your health any good at all.

I'm fine thanks bud. Happiness outweighs the hatred. Positive health effect. He's gone now.

Hibs Class
29-03-2017, 05:28 PM
A guy with multiple convictions for assault isn't necessarily a very nasty person but I'd say they're more likely to be nasty than not. I thought you were disputing the integrity of the charges the guy had listed.

Not sure he has multiple assault convictions. He has clearly done some stupid stuff. GG post most likely drawn from wikipedia and I cannot be bothered to check (I have a game to head to :greengrin). However I also made the point re context - I'm not defending e.g. drink driving, but AFAIK he sought help for alocholism and anger management, so presumably had issues which he recognised and tried to change. I haven't seen anything which makes me think he was clearly a very nasty piece of work - and that is an objective view without taking into account any compassion based on his current plight.

ColinNish
29-03-2017, 05:45 PM
I guess its all about opinions. Like when someone dies, especially before their time, you'll normally only hear what a "great guy" they were etc etc and very rarely that they just might have been a really horrible person.