PDA

View Full Version : Lewis

Enough said
25-03-2017, 10:19 PM
Has went unnoticed last 2/3 months constant hard and determined play, not eneryines cup of tea but he gives his lost and isn't scared to make a tackle .. well done wee man

bawheid
25-03-2017, 10:20 PM
Legend. One of the greatest ever Hibees.

greenlex
25-03-2017, 10:22 PM

This

Enough said
25-03-2017, 10:24 PM

Crossing poor at times but hey ho wee man gives his all. That's why I felt he needed his own thread. Is Jamie Walker out his back pocket yet ha ha ha

SMAXXA
25-03-2017, 10:24 PM
Love wee Lewis 7/10 mostly every week minimum very dependable

CallumLaidlaw
25-03-2017, 10:25 PM
I am a complete Lewis fanboy anyway these days but since we moved to a 4-4-2 it has suited him big time. Seems more confident and dare I say it, his crossing is improving. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AgentDaleCooper
25-03-2017, 10:25 PM

:top marks

agree 100%

Nicho87
25-03-2017, 10:29 PM
His 50/50 tackle in the second half at east stand side was outstanding.

hibee_girl
25-03-2017, 10:31 PM
He's amazing, end of! :greengrin

Onceinawhile
25-03-2017, 10:34 PM
Disgusted he didn't come out at half time with the other 07 players.

What was he doing?

pacorosssco
25-03-2017, 10:35 PM

A man of medals. Took the ruff with smooth and never complained. A career Hibs man unlikely well see that many more times

truehibernian
25-03-2017, 10:38 PM
When you think of the word 'persevere' and you look at the last few years Lewy has endured, he's by far and away my favourite Hibs player in the modern era. He's a consummate professional, has had criticism from all angles, experienced the extreme lows, and two of the biggest highs - he always, and I mean always gives 100% and I keep reiterating, is one of the best footballers technically at the club (control, passing, positioning, one touch).

Its funny that despite criticism you never hear him moan or complain - every single manager rates or rated him which says everything. And he's turned down offers elsewhere to stay at Hibs.

Legend gets used liberally these days - for a number of reasons, especially in the modern 'money orientated' era, Lewy is a Hibernian legend in my eyes.

bigwheel
25-03-2017, 10:39 PM
When you think of the word 'persevere' and you look at the last few years Lewy has endured, he's by far and away my favourite Hibs player in the modern era. He's a consummate professional, has had criticism from all angles, experienced the extreme lows, and two of the biggest highs - he always, and I mean always gives 100% and I keep reiterating, is one of the best footballers technically at the club (control, passing, positioning, one touch).

Its funny that despite criticism you never hear him moan or complain - every single manager rates or rated him which says everything. And he's turned down offers elsewhere to stay at Hibs.

Legend gets used liberally these days - for a number of reasons, especially in the modern 'money orientated' era, Lewy is a Hibernian legend in my eyes.

[emoji108][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Enough said
25-03-2017, 10:40 PM

Never looked at it that way but your absolutely spot on with this

matty_f
25-03-2017, 10:42 PM
I love Stevenson. Put in two crunching tackles in the second half, sure his was the tackle that left the boy in a heap when Clancy stopped play (despite it not being a head knock).

Craig_HFC
25-03-2017, 10:45 PM
Mr Hibs

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170325/c4a039f906e0df81278ea95f1e762557.jpg

NRW_Hibbie
25-03-2017, 10:48 PM
Certainly not the best Hibs player I've ever seen, but probably my favourite. Legend.

Unseen work
25-03-2017, 10:49 PM
He is just solid when he is left to defend, a small guy in height but he is a tough, tenacious player.

Not many wingers get the better of him

Wee Effen Bee
25-03-2017, 10:57 PM
As with most fitba supporters, I watch a few English Premier league; English Championship; Scottish Premier and European matches. What I see is that even some the best full backs don't always get their crosses over - criticism often levelled at Lewis. Also, I can't help but notice that many full backs launch the ball when under a bit of pressure. Lewis always appears to have time to seek out a team-mate or can turn back and lay it off to Marciano/Laidlaw very confidently. He always appears to be a good 'out' ball when the midfielders are being closed down. A couple of Hibbies beside me today were commenting about Lewis' first touch and how 'Murphyesque' it has become.
I think that many of his critics have become entrenched in their negative view of the wee man and can't see how much he has developed/progressed over the years. I'm not saying he is international class or as good as those full backs being paid mega bawbees but there are not many left backs in Scotland I would swap him for. I think we are lucky to have such a committed, ultra fit and dependable player in our ranks.

The Harp Awakes
25-03-2017, 10:59 PM
Thought he played very well today.

My_Wife_Camille
25-03-2017, 11:15 PM
I'm absolutely astounded that there are still people who don't rate Lewis.

He was superb again today as he has been for about 350 of his 355 games in a Hibs shirt.

A real Hibernian legend.

J-C
25-03-2017, 11:19 PM
He turns up, plays to his best and never hides on the pitch, a cracking wee player who just loves a 50/50 tackle. :greengrin

Onceinawhile
25-03-2017, 11:27 PM
He is just solid when he is left to defend, a small guy in height but he is a tough, tenacious player.

Not many wingers get the better of him

Fraser aird ripped Wallace for arse paper. Lewis had him sorted.

DavidDavidGray
Sincerely hope he never leaves us, would be gutted if he never spent his career with us. A true Hibs legend who gives their all every time they step out in a Hibs top, good player and is passionate about the club. Truly deserving of the Mr Hibs title

Baw187
Lewis was good today. Couple of cracking tackles.

Like most, I get frustrated sometimes but peeling it all back, there hasn't been a player in my lifetime who has invested so much of himself in Hibs.

When he does make those bad crosses, passes or missed tackles now and then (less so in recent times!) there is nobody beating him up more than himself. The guy gives everything both physically and emotionally and on the few occasions I've been fortunate to meet him, he's the most genuinely nice, down to earth, guy you'll ever meet.

We're lucky to have a player like him in this day and age.

Mango Man
25-03-2017, 11:29 PM

:agree:

It's been a pleasure to see him progress over the years, pretty much improved every season, even though he's been part of some of the worst Hibs teams in living memory, he has taken it all in his stride, and has become an actual Hibs legend.

25-03-2017, 11:31 PM
Wee man had a solid game today. He certainly doesn't shirk a tackle.

Deansy
25-03-2017, 11:32 PM
I am a complete Lewis fanboy anyway these days but since we moved to a 4-4-2 it has suited him big time. Seems more confident and dare I say it, his crossing is improving. [emoji106]

Ditto 100% - tho I'd still like to see him (in what I think) is his best position in midfield - I honestly believe we're wasting him in defence !

MWHIBBIES
26-03-2017, 12:07 AM
Form of his life since the United game at new year, absolutely amazing and indispensable to this team. A top 10 all time Hibs legend.

No one has ever deserved a full house for their testimonial more than him.

West lower
26-03-2017, 12:23 AM
Lewis has given his all for our and his club. He deserves to be respected by every Hibs fan. In years to come he will rightly be remembered as one of our clubs legends. A genuine good guy too.

Navids Numpties
26-03-2017, 12:31 AM
Disgusted he didn't come out at half time with the other 07 players.

What was he doing?
Needed to be with the team for the half time team talk I assume.

speedy_gonzales
26-03-2017, 12:38 AM
His 50/50 tackle in the second half at east stand side was outstanding.

I said it then and I'll say it now, that was never a 50/50 ball, Lewis had no right to get that ball but he covered the ground like a man possessed and I was surprised that neither player was hurt with that "crack" of a tackle.
That's what Stevenson gives you though, 100%!

kaimendhibs
26-03-2017, 12:40 AM
Love lewis. Full house for testimonial game a must

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Vault Boy
26-03-2017, 12:57 AM
The manager has described Lewis as one of the best fullbacks in the country, he gets no argument from me. Lewis was tenacious through the tough periods and his attitude more than earns him the right to the great times we've had at the club, recently in particular. Legend.

Super_JMcGinn
26-03-2017, 03:22 AM
Has went unnoticed last 2/3 months constant hard and determined play, not eneryines cup of tea but he gives his lost and isn't scared to make a tackle .. well done wee man

Just keeps getting better and better despite the boo boys who whenever he makes a mistake are on his back. I thought he was immense today and my man of the match only rivalled by Dylan. I hope he gets a full house on his testimonial, I can't think of anyone deserving of it more in my time watching Hibs.

theonlywayisup
26-03-2017, 06:12 AM
The only Hibs player even to have won both the Scottish Cup and the League Cup.

In terms of winning trophies only the Famous Five team have won more.

Borderhibbie76
26-03-2017, 08:37 AM
Certainly not the best Hibs player I've ever seen, but probably my favourite. Legend.
Sums it up for me mate - give me the attitude of 11 lewy's every week...the guy epitomises the word professional

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Borderhibbie76
26-03-2017, 08:40 AM
Needed to be with the team for the half time team talk I assume.
Whoosh moment mate

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

HibbyAndy
26-03-2017, 08:42 AM
outstanding.

Has he ever lost a 50/50 ?

Heisenberg
26-03-2017, 08:43 AM
He's a great wee player. Hope he signs a new contract asap. Left a couple of Falkirk boys in a heap with strong but fair challenges.

RoscoHibby
26-03-2017, 08:46 AM
Lewy 💚

hibbysam
26-03-2017, 08:48 AM
I just hope the club used yesterday as an opportunity to get a photo of Lewis with both the League and Scottish cup.

Heisenberg
26-03-2017, 08:50 AM
I just hope the club used yesterday as an opportunity to get a photo of Lewis with both the League and Scottish cup.

I'm sure they had them both at his testimonial dinner and a picture was taken then.

Northernhibee
26-03-2017, 08:54 AM
We had Turnbull's Tornadoes, the Famous Five, the golden generation, all groups of players who achieved legendary status- in terms of winning both cups in the green and white he's in a class of one.

Silver Fox
26-03-2017, 08:58 AM
No one has mentioned his defensive qualities yet in this thread, I noticed on a couple of occasions yesterday Lewis tucking in at the back, covering for the centre half's who had been caught out of position on the break, intelligent play.

AltheHibby
26-03-2017, 10:52 AM
Some of these comments could easily have been made about Shades. And that's the biggest compliment I can give Lewis.

The Leith Dutch
26-03-2017, 10:52 AM

Spot on on the 4-4-2 bit.

For me he's never a wing back and most of the criticism he gets that's valid is directed at him going forward.
He's a very good left back - at least by the standard of the game in Scotland.

I do also like that he's consistent and plays with commitment.

hibee_girl
26-03-2017, 11:39 AM
I hope he reads these comments and realises just how much he's valued

lucky
26-03-2017, 11:40 AM
I don't go to testimonials but will certainly be at his. Hopefully it will be after the league has finished but before the cup final

Stantons Angel
26-03-2017, 12:21 PM
Some of these comments could easily have been made about Shades. And that's the biggest compliment I can give Lewis.

AND that IS thee BIGGEST compliment anyone can pay Lewis. Shades was an awesome sight coming at you for a 50/50 ball and that tackle yesterday was reminiscent of one of Erich's best!

Lewis is a tough wee character and we dont often see him angry or aggressive but when he is, boy he is!

Its good to see so many positive comments about him, which he deserves completely.

BSEJVT
26-03-2017, 01:44 PM
AND that IS thee BIGGEST compliment anyone can pay Lewis. Shades was an awesome sight coming at you for a 50/50 ball and that tackle yesterday was reminiscent of one of Erich's best!

Lewis is a tough wee character and we dont often see him angry or aggressive but when he is, boy he is!

Its good to see so many positive comments about him, which he deserves completely.

Thought it was a mixed performance from Lewis yesterday .

Did lots of things very well but a few poor passes.

Would need to see the tackle that crocked Sibbald ( who is an utter fud btw) again but my initial reaction was that it was a bad tackle?

superfurryhibby
26-03-2017, 01:53 PM
Lewis is a warrior. Gives everything and never shirks a challenge. He's a dedicated Hibs man and also a gentleman off the field.

There may well never be another player who notches up 350 + games for the Hibees. The man merits our full respect.

CL0762
26-03-2017, 02:07 PM
I remember seeing him for the first time on the pre season tour of Dublin and being instantly impressed with him.

Like many others have said, ability wise is he the best Hibs player we've seen? Probably not even close.

But for grit, determination, passion, heart? You won't find anyone like him. A true, bonafide Hibernian legend and we are very lucky to have him.

Dashing Bob S
26-03-2017, 02:10 PM
Had a great game yesterday.

My_Wife_Camille
26-03-2017, 02:18 PM
Very fast becoming my favourite Hibs player ever.

I have a feeling that in 20-30 years and beyond that Lewis will be spoken of as one of our all time Hibernian Greats.

AgentDaleCooper
26-03-2017, 02:35 PM
when the day comes for him to retire, we should be naming one of the stands after him IMO.

jacomo
26-03-2017, 03:08 PM
I'm absolutely astounded that there are still people who don't rate Lewis.

He was superb again today as he has been for about 350 of his 355 games in a Hibs shirt.

A real Hibernian legend.

The haters seem to keep quiet these days.

Used to be that someone would start a 'Lewis must go' thread after every loss, thankfully that doesn't happen anymore.

Northernhibee
26-03-2017, 03:19 PM
when the day comes for him to retire, we should be naming one of the stands after him IMO.

We should rename something at the training centre after him; if all youngsters showed the same attitude, honesty, humility and loyalty that he has then we'd be the biggest producer of young talent around. Would be a great reminder.

Stantons Angel
26-03-2017, 04:23 PM
Thought it was a mixed performance from Lewis yesterday .

Did lots of things very well but a few poor passes.

Would need to see the tackle that crocked Sibbald ( who is an utter fud btw) again but my initial reaction was that it was a bad tackle?

Performance was as mixed as the rest of the team's i would say and the good things he did well out weighed the bad in the end.

In that tackle you mention he won the ball fair and square as they say, but when your having a look again at it please have another look too at the tackles they put in on him!

These i would say were bad tackles too, but he didnt writhe about the park like some yesterday. No he just got up and got on with it.

B.H.F.C
26-03-2017, 06:22 PM
Lewis is a funny one. He's played in the Hibs teams that gave me my two best Hibs supporting moments with two cup wins. But he's also played in the Hibs teams that have given me my worst Hibs supporting moments.

I think it is a position we can improve. But his reliability will get him another contract.

Viva_Palmeiras
26-03-2017, 08:04 PM
Lewis is a funny one. He's played in the Hibs teams that gave me my two best Hibs supporting moments with two cup wins. But he's also played in the Hibs teams that have given me my worst Hibs supporting moments.

I think it is a position we can improve. But his reliability will get him another contract.

Whats your thought on Hanlon or Cummings. Whether you're a good player or bad there's little you can do about things if the rest of the team is pants...

B.H.F.C
26-03-2017, 08:08 PM
Whats your thought on Hanlon or Cummings. Whether you're a good player or bad there's little you can do about things if the rest of the team is pants...

I think they are both better players than Lewis.

brianmc
26-03-2017, 08:23 PM
I think they are both better players than Lewis.

Agreed. Lewis is a 100% kinda player, of that there isn't a doubt. Defensively he's usually solid. Fitness wise he's top notch-getting up and down the line superbly.
However....... Time after time after time his crossing is woeful. And I'm using the word woeful purely because of the swear filter!
He has the worst final ball of any Hibs player i can think of in my near 30 years of being a season ticket holder!
Awful.

He's rarely less than a 6/10 but for me he's also rarely above 7/10.

Shrekko
26-03-2017, 09:03 PM
Agreed. Lewis is a 100% kinda player, of that there isn't a doubt. Defensively he's usually solid. Fitness wise he's top notch-getting up and down the line superbly.
However....... Time after time after time his crossing is woeful. And I'm using the word woeful purely because of the swear filter!
He has the worst final ball of any Hibs player i can think of in my near 30 years of being a season ticket holder!
Awful.

His crossing isn't great but I think you're being way too harsh regarding his 'final ball'. Wide players normally have to aim at 1 or 2 forwards in the box that are being covered by 4 or 5 defenders. Unusual for ANY full-back or winger to be picking them out on a regular basis. Probably been way too much emphasis on Lewis in an attacking sense in this league. When we play bigger teams nobody even notices his perceived lack of a final ball. Worst in 30 years though?- no chance.

Neil Lennon says he's one of the best full backs in the country and I totally agree. When was the last time anyone got the better of him? Seriously I can't rememeber. His touch and all round ball control are superb and he's a very tidy passer. Work rate is immense and he's a strong as an ox.

He is a Hibs legend for many reasons and sure he'll be here for many more years.

brianmc
26-03-2017, 09:15 PM
His crossing isn't great but I think you're being way too harsh regarding his 'final ball'. Wide players normally have to aim at 1 or 2 forwards in the box that are being covered by 4 or 5 defenders. Unusual for ANY full-back or winger to be picking them out on a regular basis. Probably been way too much emphasis on Lewis in an attacking sense in this league. When we play bigger teams nobody even notices his perceived lack of a final ball. Worst in 30 years though?- no chance.

Neil Lennon says he's one of the best full backs in the country and I totally agree. When was the last time anyone got the better of him? Seriously I can't rememeber. His touch and all round ball control are superb and he's a very tidy passer. Work rate is immense and he's a strong as an ox.

He is a Hibs legend for many reasons and sure he'll be here for many more years.

So you agree with me he's a good defender with a great "engine" - then list the reasons his final ball is so poor.
👍

*For the record though, I notice his 'lack of final ball' as you described it. 5/10 hit the first defender, 2/10 hit the stand. Of the remaining 3/10 some are occasionally great.....
Don't twist what I'm saying though.
I think he's a decent player BUT he's by no means some kind of Paulo Maldini/Roberto Carlos hybrid that some Hibs fans seem to think!!

Shrekko
26-03-2017, 09:21 PM
So you agree with me he's a good defender with a great "engine" - then list the reasons his final ball is so poor.
��

*For the record though, I notice his 'lack of final ball' as you described it. 5/10 hit the first defender, 2/10 hit the stand. Of the remaining 3/10 some are occasionally great.....
Don't twist what I'm saying though.
I think he's a decent player BUT he's by no means some kind of Paulo Maldini/Roberto Carlos hybrid that some Hibs fans seem to think!!
Thats a fantastic set of stats you have on his crossing so there's no way I can twist those figures- lol.

His crossing is his big weakness - nobody can deny it. I've seen many many players who have the same weakness though so to single him out as worse than anyone else in the past thirty years is too much IMO.

Stewboy
26-03-2017, 09:28 PM
Part of our failure to get out of this league is we just don't put in enough quality balls from out wide, Lewis must get at least 10 chances a game and very rarely delivers quality

Yes, he is a great defender but full backs have to be more than that these days

26-03-2017, 10:01 PM
What's the cost to get a statue done? Crowdfund anyone?

Eyrie
26-03-2017, 10:01 PM
Part of our failure to get out of this league is we just don't put in enough quality balls from out wide, Lewis must get at least 10 chances a game and very rarely delivers quality

And how many full backs in Scottish football excel in both roles? Would you rather have a Tavernier type who is great going forward but gets scorched in defence on a regular basis?

Would we like better than Stevenson? Of course. Can we realistically get better? No, so let's appreciate him and give him a new contract.

Super_JMcGinn
26-03-2017, 10:07 PM
Awful.

Did you see Boyle's final delivery yesterday and all season for that matter. Do you remember the Utd game at home earlier in the season when Hanlon substituted for Lewey? His crossing was laughable and rarely stayed in the park.

You obviously don't like him but don't give me the garbage that it is the worst you have seen in 30yrs.

Stewboy
27-03-2017, 06:52 AM
And how many full backs in Scottish football excel in both roles? Would you rather have a Tavernier type who is great going forward but gets scorched in defence on a regular basis?

Would we like better than Stevenson? Of course. Can we realistically get better? No, so let's appreciate him and give him a new contract.

My point is part of the reason we haven't gotten out this league yet is due to our lack of width.

Should we have sacrificed a solid defender for a full back who can cross?!

dp00
27-03-2017, 09:08 AM

If he was more he wouldn't be playing for hibs, we can't afford players that are perfect if they were perfect they wouldn't be playing for us

He gives 100% every game that will do for me

Eyrie
27-03-2017, 06:42 PM
My point is part of the reason we haven't gotten out this league yet is due to our lack of width.

Should we have sacrificed a solid defender for a full back who can cross?!

No, we should have left the defenders to defend and signed a proper winger to add pace, width and decent crosses.