PDA

View Full Version : Oli Shaw

SteveHFC
22-03-2017, 01:03 PM
Good interview here.

Neil Lennon expects teenage scoring sensation Oli Shaw to force his way into the Hibs first-team squad next season. ADVERTISING

The striker, who turned 19 earlier this month, is currently in the Czech Republic with Scotland Under-19s, who play the first of their three Euro 2017 elite round matches against Austria today. They then face the Czechs on Friday and Hungary on Sunday, with the winners of the four-team section progressing to the finals in Georgia in July. Shaw, pictured, goes into the matches in the Czech city of Zlin in buoyant mood after notching 21 goals – including two hat-tricks – for the high-flying Easter Road development team so far this season. In addition, the red-hot hitman has scored three times during 18 first-team appearances on loan at League One strugglers Stenhousemuir. Hibs manager Lennon is excited by Shaw’s emergence as one of the top teenage prospects in the country and is confident the young goal machine possesses the required mentality to soon start making his presence felt in the Easter Road first team. “I’ve been really impressed with Oli,” he told the Evening News. “Certainly his form in the development team over the past few months has been fantastic. He’s a standout at that level. At times he looks heads shoulders above the opposition. That’s all well and good at development level, but the gap between that and the first team is huge. He needs to bridge that gap, but I’m sure he will. “God willing, if we get promotion, Oli will certainly be a part of the squad going into next season. If he wasn’t on loan at Stenhousemuir he’d be in the squad now. It’ll be an important summer for him, but he’s certainly shown plenty for me to be able to say ‘yeah, come and be part of it next year.’ I’ve been delighted with his progress this year.”

Lennon feels Shaw is benefitting from sampling senior football at Stenhousemuir and believes the youngster is only going to get better as he bulks up physically. “Hopefully he’ll have gained good experience from his loan stint at Stenhousemuir in terms of the nuts and bolts of the game and scoring goals,” said the Hibs manager. “He’s improved his play back to goal, he’s quick and his movement’s good. He’s an excellent finisher. He’s got good feet and his physicality has improved in terms of being able to lead the line, but I think he needs to put on a few pounds because he’s still got that gangly frame. He needs to put a bit more muscle on his upper body, but I think he’ll do that. His attitude’s very good. I think he’s hungry – he really wants it, which is a good sign.”

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/oli-shaw-will-force-way-into-hibs-contention-says-neil-lennon-1-4398947

NAE NOOKIE
22-03-2017, 01:12 PM
He certainly seems to be a player whose stock is rising all the time, has the sort of name you would expect to see on a team sheet from back in the 50s or something ..... that's good enough for me :greengrin

Billy Whizz
22-03-2017, 01:38 PM
He played for Scotland under 19'sbthia morning v Austria. Unfortunately they lost 3-0

Unseen work
23-03-2017, 02:15 PM
Brilliant to hear.

Also interesting that Lennon says if he wasn't on loan he would be in the squad.

Would he rate him more than the like of Graham and get a good amount of game time or use him sparingly like Crane and Martin?

Tamhere1875
23-03-2017, 03:35 PM
Thinking he maybe in Lennons thoughts for next season

JDHibs
23-03-2017, 03:59 PM
Would rather give him a shot up top next season than Insall, Keatings or Boyle (keep him as a winger).

Young lad and a top prospect. Looks like we could have 4 or 5 young lads coming through as young Porteous is a talent, Dunsmore is good and Martin & Crane have both been in the first team recently.

About time the academy started working!

lucky
23-03-2017, 04:35 PM
Hibs should have recalled him from his loan deal and postponed Saturdays game.

Tamhere1875
23-03-2017, 04:38 PM
Lewis Allan is another who looks a good prospect. Jamie Gullan, Innes Murray are looking good as well.

Tamhere1875
23-03-2017, 04:40 PM
Oli Shaw could not be brought back due to the terms of his loan deal.

Dunbar Hibee
23-03-2017, 04:44 PM
Would rather give him a shot up top next season than Insall, Keatings or Boyle (keep him as a winger).

Young lad and a top prospect. Looks like we could have 4 or 5 young lads coming through as young Porteous is a talent, Dunsmore is good and Martin & Crane have both been in the first team recently.

About time the academy started working!

I'd like to see Jamie Insall get a chance, but don't think that will happen.

Tamhere1875
23-03-2017, 04:46 PM
Not good enough for a run in the first team think jamie has found his level at East Fife.

JDHibs
23-03-2017, 04:53 PM
I'd like to see Jamie Insall get a chance, but don't think that will happen.

Unfortunately, being 25 (i think) and not exactly smashing the goals in in either league 2 last season or league 1 this season i dont think he will get a chance here.

Really wonder what Stubbs seen in him taking him on on a 3 year deal.

Billy Whizz
23-03-2017, 05:50 PM
Not good enough for a run in the first team think jamie has found his level at East Fife.

Tam, he's not even starting for East Fife now, unless he's nursing an injury

MWHIBBIES
23-03-2017, 06:15 PM
Hibs should have recalled him from his loan deal and postponed Saturdays game.You cannot just recall players from their loans, especially outside of the transfer windows.

silverhibee
23-03-2017, 07:33 PM
Unfortunately, being 25 (i think) and not exactly smashing the goals in in either league 2 last season or league 1 this season i dont think he will get a chance here.

Was it not a 5 year deal.

You are right, 3 year deal, doubt he will ever play for Hibs.

lucky
23-03-2017, 09:18 PM
You cannot just recall players from their loans, especially outside of the transfer windows.

I'm aware of that but it should have happened in January. For me NL and his staff should have been aware of the potential issue with only 2 being called up. Whilst I expect us to win the league but Saturday's banana skin has been made more difficult

ancient hibee
23-03-2017, 09:25 PM
I'm aware of that but it should have happened in January. For me NL and his staff should have been aware of the potential issue with only 2 being called up. Whilst I expect us to win the league but Saturday's banana skin has been made more difficult

In January Lennon would rightly assume that we would be out of sight in the league by now.

NORTHERNHIBBY
23-03-2017, 09:27 PM

Don't suppose that he is on a fortune though and not every gamble pays off.

MWHIBBIES
23-03-2017, 09:30 PM
I'm aware of that but it should have happened in January. For me NL and his staff should have been aware of the potential issue with only 2 being called up. Whilst I expect us to win the league but Saturday's banana skin has been made more difficultShaw wouldn't have played on Saturday anyway, we are missing a goalkeeper and a midfielder.

1van Sprou7e
23-03-2017, 10:44 PM

It was always going to be a gamble, doesn't seem to be paying off but it wasn't exactly a disastrous decision by Stubbsy

offshorehibby
24-03-2017, 03:27 PM
Ryan Porteous starting against Czech Republic, Oli Shaw on the bench today.

Billy Whizz
24-03-2017, 03:40 PM
Ryan Porteous starting against Czech Republic, Oli Shaw on the bench today.

Is the game online?

offshorehibby
24-03-2017, 04:04 PM
Is the game online?

I'm sure the Austria game was but no link has popped up on twitter or FB yet. Think it's due to kick off any minuet now.

Try this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyKsbBGityU

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agVvk1cMT4s

Billy Whizz
24-03-2017, 04:11 PM
I'm sure the Austria game was but no link has popped up on twitter or FB yet. Think it's due to kick off any minuet now.

Try this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyKsbBGityU

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agVvk1cMT4s

Thanks, last one was

offshorehibby
24-03-2017, 05:32 PM
I see Hungary beat Austria 3-1

Billy Whizz
24-03-2017, 05:51 PM
1-0 to Czech Republic FT

offshorehibby
27-03-2017, 04:40 PM
Porteous and Shaw both start against Hungary at 6.

calumhibee1
27-03-2017, 04:56 PM
Porteous and Shaw both start against Hungary at 6.

On tv anywhere?

Billy Whizz
27-03-2017, 04:58 PM
On tv anywhere?

Think it's on YouTube.
I'll try and find a link
https://youtu.be/YVZX1GqfOjY

Billy Whizz
27-03-2017, 06:58 PM
Scotland conceded a penalty late on, to lose 2-1
Porteous sent off in injury time for a late tackle