PDA

View Full Version : Elvis on Sportsound last night

Alfiembra
22-03-2017, 12:01 PM
Caught a bit of the debate last night and was interested in Elvis opinion that Scotland has great midfielders but we are don't have good enough home grown Centre Backs and Forwards to pick from for the national team, Elvis has been working for Strachan as a scout to root out defenders in particular for him.

He mentioned someone at Swansea he'd seen but the player doesn't want to commit to Scotland at the moment.

Obviously he hasn't seen Hanlon and McGregor this season, appreciate Hanlon has been injured but on their day they are probably the best Scotland has to offer at the moment. SJM is in the squad so again Strachan and co must have been watching Hibs at various times over the past year or so. Surely they deserve a chance?

Brightside
22-03-2017, 12:12 PM
The fact that he is scout for the national team tells you plenty.

The_Exile
22-03-2017, 12:31 PM
The subject matter he was talking about is interesting and he certainly has a point. Countries all over the world are adopting new ways of training their kids, to be comfortable on the ball, to be great passers, to be able to show great vision and anticipation etc, basically play "the right way". That's all well and good but a lot of teams and managers need big centre backs and the game isn't producing enough of them these days. I read an article recently and I can't remember where, might've been a blog from someone with a hand in the opta stats, but he mentioned the trend towards the flair, exciting, attacking players value dropping and your big hard ******* centre backs and defensive midfielders values sky rocketing.

greenlex
22-03-2017, 12:33 PM
I thought he came across as trying to be more intellegent than he really is.
At one pont he was asked about Andy McLarens interview that they had just sampled about missing out on talent in deprived areas because of cost. He went straight onto the elite programme without going near the question like he was programmed. To be fair his comments about actual desire and players being pampered and spoiled on these elite programmes was spot on. I guess he just couldnt tie it in with the question.

JimBHibees
22-03-2017, 12:47 PM
I thought he came across as trying to be more intellegent than he really is.
At one pont he was asked about Andy McLarens interview that they had just sampled about missing out on talent in deprived areas because of cost. He went straight onto the elite programme without going near the question like he was programmed. To be fair his comments about actual desire and players being pampered and spoiled on these elite programmes was spot on. I guess he just couldnt tie it in with the question.

Noticed that thought it was a very odd response to the question posed. McLaren comments were very good and an interesting dimension to the usual discussion around developing footballers. The cost element probably is a factor however not much that can be done outwith mean testing kids which probably doesnt help much in terms of stigmitisation. Football clubs for kids probably do need to be a bit more sensitive to the cost factor however where is the balance between allowing a kid who cant afford it to play while pulling up another parent for not paying, not an easy situation. The ideal would be of course that facilities were excellent and subsidised hugely by local government so costs were minimal.

ancient hibee
22-03-2017, 12:49 PM
The most notable thing about Elvis recently is the great performance by Fleetwood since he left.

HoboHarry
22-03-2017, 01:21 PM
Thought Elvis was deid. Must have dreamt that......

BH Hibs
22-03-2017, 01:37 PM
What's with the Elvis pish he's a Hertz ****.

HoboHarry
22-03-2017, 01:39 PM
Sounds like you are all shook up.......

BoomtownHibees
22-03-2017, 01:39 PM

Exactly. Who even calls him that other than them??

Alfiembra
22-03-2017, 01:57 PM
Exactly. Who even calls him that other than them??

Thought it was better to title the thread Elvis on Sportsound, rather than c*** on Sportsound.

GGTTH

BH Hibs
22-03-2017, 02:13 PM
Sounds like you are all shook up.......

No but I have a suspicious mind. :wink:

SirDavidsNapper
22-03-2017, 02:52 PM
Welt of a man. Turning down Motherwell as he thinks he's too good.

NORTHERNHIBBY
22-03-2017, 03:08 PM
Remember him saying that there was no chance that Falkirk would go down with him at the helm. Seems to be very well regarded without much to back it up with. Talks it but can't walk it.

HoboHarry
22-03-2017, 03:26 PM
Welt of a man. Turning down Motherwell as he thinks he's too good.
He preferred to stay in England. Stop making stuff up.......

Sammy7nil
22-03-2017, 06:03 PM
I thought he came across okay

Betty Boop
22-03-2017, 06:14 PM
His voice makes you want to sleep.

SirDavidsNapper
22-03-2017, 07:20 PM
He preferred to stay in England. Stop making stuff up.......

Preferred to stay unemployed in England with no chance of picking up a job after making a James Blunt of Coventry and Fleetwood rather than take a Scottish Premiership job. Elvis is indeed a welt. His actions at Hearts and Falkirk would back that up. Thinks he's a footballing visionary

Is It On....
22-03-2017, 08:44 PM
Thought Elvis was deid. Must have dreamt that......

The only Elvis that matters is Declan McManus..the other one was "big and fat" as the Anti Nowhere League once said.

Cod Boy
22-03-2017, 08:51 PM
The most notable thing about Elvis recently is the great performance by Fleetwood since he left.

Got a lot of friends who are Fleetwood season ticket holders and they were delighted he got sacked when he did.

TRC
23-03-2017, 05:41 AM
[QUOTE=greenlex;4985657]I thought he came across as trying to be more intellegent than he really is.
At one pont he was asked about Andy McLarens interview that they had just sampled about missing out on talent in deprived areas because of cost. He went straight onto the elite programme without going near the question like he was programmed. To be fair his comments about actual desire and players being pampered and spoiled on these elite programmes was spot on. I guess he just couldnt tie it in with the question.[/QUOTE

i remember years ago think it was gerard houllier, getting asked who he thought was the best player in the world(or something of the like) His response was ridiculed a bit at the time if i remember correctly. His answer was I don't know maybe the best player in the world plays in an African shanty town. Always liked the answer and it does make you think if everyone had the same opportunities how good could some players be. ( i do understand this could be extended to pretty much all walks of life)