PDA

View Full Version : Lewis Stevenson testimonial

NAE NOOKIE
22-03-2017, 11:48 AM
I heard a guy on the radio the other day who seemed to be connected with this say that the testimonial committee would be liable for the wages of any team / player who turned up as Hibs opposition ..... I was unaware of that, if true it seems a huge barrier to giving Lewis the big name team he deserves in this game, which is a real pity.

Given that the whole point of these games is very often to reward players who haven't spent 10 years earning huge money at 'glamour' clubs you would think football as an industry would find a way to make players available for 'expenses' only rather than the huge wages they would normally command.

I'll be there even if its Hibs v Hibs reserves ...... but it seems strange to me that football hasn't worked a bit harder to enable players who couldn't exactly be classed as rich to benefit from decent testimonial match opposition.

duffers
22-03-2017, 12:06 PM
What ever happened to the league cup winners versus the Scottish Cup winners? Or was that just Rumours?

Onceinawhile
22-03-2017, 12:14 PM
That was just what people suggested .

Hibernian fc cannot organise it as it would be seen as employment income and would be taxed a lot higher than if it's organised by a testimonial committee.

The testimonial committee need to make a profit to pay Lewis after expenses.

NAE NOOKIE
22-03-2017, 12:19 PM
What ever happened to the league cup winners versus the Scottish Cup winners? Or was that just Rumours?

I think it was just an idea a few folk were putting out there, quite a good one IMO, but if the wages thing is correct how could they afford the likes of Scott Brown or Steven Fletcher ... not to mention having to fly a few of the players back from other countries? ... Andy McNeil is currently coaching in China. And of course the brilliant David Murphy is currently retired through injury.

greenlex
22-03-2017, 12:22 PM
That was the exact scenario that was being discussed at the time. Steven Fletchers 30k per week and Scott Browns was the liability stumbling block if that were the case.

snooky
22-03-2017, 12:26 PM

:singing: "There's only two Lewis Stevensons"

greenlex
22-03-2017, 12:26 PM
I heard a guy on the radio the other day who seemed to be connected with this say that the testimonial committee would be liable for the wages of any team / player who turned up as Hibs opposition ..... I was unaware of that, if true it seems a huge barrier to giving Lewis the big name team he deserves in this game, which is a real pity.

Given that the whole point of these games is very often to reward players who haven't spent 10 years earning huge money at 'glamour' clubs you would think football as an industry would find a way to make players available for 'expenses' only rather than the huge wages they would normally command.

I'll be there even if its Hibs v Hibs reserves ...... but it seems strange to me that football hasn't worked a bit harder to enable players who couldn't exactly be classed as rich to benefit from decent testimonial match opposition.
Im sure it was if anything happened injury wise to that player rather than actually paying them. The players club might have a case was the point.

CropleyWasGod
22-03-2017, 12:31 PM
I'd guess that it's less about the wages themselves, and more about getting suitable insurance to cover the wages if a player gets injured.

My_Wife_Camille
22-03-2017, 12:31 PM
Im sure it was if anything happened injury wise to that player rather than actually paying them. The players club might have a case was the point.

This is it, it's to do with insurance rather than wages. I know of one player who is desperate to be involved to the point that he's willing to cover his insurance out his own pocket

snooky
22-03-2017, 12:33 PM
I'd guess that it's less about the wages themselves, and more about getting suitable insurance to cover the wages if a player gets injured.

A-ha! The old "Thou-shalt-not-have-fun Law" in force again (unless you pay big bucks to the Insurance Companies).

CropleyWasGod
22-03-2017, 12:38 PM
A-ha! The old "Thou-shalt-not-have-fun Law" in force again (unless you pay big bucks to the Insurance Companies).

You have to consider the clubs, though.

A player gets injured playing for someone else, and the club then has to pay his wages and, possibly, their rehab costs. Would you be happy if it happened to one of our players?

snooky
22-03-2017, 12:43 PM
You have to consider the clubs, though.

A player gets injured playing for someone else, and the club then has to pay his wages and, possibly, their rehab costs. Would you be happy if it happened to one of our players?

That's kinda my point, CWG.
Rightly or wrongly, the world circles around money these days, instead of people.