View Full Version : Hibs v Man utd 1988 G Rae

hibbypostie
22-03-2017, 10:18 AM
anyone know the hibs squad that night cant find it on line anywhere online

erin go bragh
22-03-2017, 10:52 AM

Super Tortolano halfed Strachan in the first five minutes and got sent off :(
Ironically, Strachan had a piece in the program saying he was a massive Hibs fan , so can the Hibs players take it easy on me .
Sure we lost 3-0 .

G B Young
22-03-2017, 11:40 AM
I've got the programme in a box somewhere but it would take me forever to find it.

Yes, the Tortolano sending-off killed the game almost before it got started and there was a rather subdued atmosphere because of it. Somebody posted some footage of JT talking about the incident recently. It really was a dreadful tackle and completely out of keeping with the nature of the game. Strachan clearly didn't bear any grudges though and returned to play in Gordon Hunter's testimonial when he was Coventry manager. Think he scored the winning penalty for Hibs but I might be wrong.

The Man U game actually impacted on our league form as prior to that I think we'd started the season unbeaten and I recall that the weekend prior to the testimonial we'd thumped Celtic 3-1. After losing to Man U I recall going to Dens Park the next weekend and seeing us lose 2-1. Overall though it turned into a decent enough season and we qualified for Europe.

fat freddy
22-03-2017, 11:52 AM
remember Bryan Robson played sweeper and was spraying 40/50 yard passes all night. Viv Anderson was like a pedigree athlete effortlessy romping up and down the right wing, very impressive.

Winston Ingram
22-03-2017, 11:55 AM
remember Bryan Robson played sweeper and was spraying 40/50 yard passes all night. Viv Anderson was like a pedigree athlete effortlessy romping up and down the right wing, very impressive.

I remember this is a well.It was one of the first games i'd been to. He was pinging the ball about like Ronald Koeman. He and Mark Hughes were on a different level that night.

Newry Hibs
22-03-2017, 12:26 PM
Super Tortolano halfed Strachan in the first five minutes and got sent off :(
Ironically, Strachan had a piece in the program saying he was a massive Hibs fan , so can the Hibs players take it easy on me .
Sure we lost 3-0 .

I wonder why players aren't forcibly substituted in friendlies and the like.

leither17
22-03-2017, 12:32 PM
My first hibs game

Mathias Jack
22-03-2017, 01:46 PM

That night is one of my earliest memories of Easter Road...

Here you go mate, hopefully the link works.

https://picclick.co.uk/HIBERNIAN-v-MANCHESTER-UNITED-LEGEND-GORDON-RAE-1988-201857786962.html#&gid=1&pid=2

Billy Whizz
22-03-2017, 02:04 PM
I thought it was a 3-3 draw, or an I thinking of another game?
The went ahead because most of the pitches across theUK weee unplayable, but Easter Rd was ok!

scoopyboy
22-03-2017, 02:09 PM
I thought it was a 3-3 draw, or an I thinking of another game?
The went ahead because most of the pitches across theUK weee unplayable, but Easter Rd was ok!

I think you're thinking of a Hibs v Man Utd game that was arranged at short notice because all of Britain was virtually wiped out. Scotsport showed extended highlights on the Sunday afternoon. Finished 1-1 with Frank Stapleton scoring for them.

Rae's testimonial was played midweek in decent weather IIRC around October.

oldbutdim
22-03-2017, 02:13 PM
I have the souvenir paperweight for that game on my desk!

Tom Hart RIP
22-03-2017, 04:06 PM
I think you're thinking of a Hibs v Man Utd game that was arranged at short notice because all of Britain was virtually wiped out. Scotsport showed extended highlights on the Sunday afternoon. Finished 1-1 with Frank Stapleton scoring for them.

Rae's testimonial was played midweek in decent weather IIRC around October.

Willie Jamieson scored for us. Think he was only 17 or 18 at the time. Shades broke Brian Robsons collarbone

hibbybrian
22-03-2017, 04:11 PM

Goram Hunter Sneddon May G Rae Milne Tortolano McCluskey Kane Collins Evans

Subs Watson McBride Lennon McIntyre

Viva_Palmeiras
22-03-2017, 06:31 PM
Goram Hunter Sneddon May G Rae Milne Tortolano McCluskey Kane Collins Evans

Subs Watson McBride Lennon McIntyre

Danny Lennon - must have been about 15?

HIBERNIAN-0762
22-03-2017, 06:32 PM
The 1981 game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3YU85Z1nJc

Skol
22-03-2017, 07:06 PM

I think that was an earlier game, on a boxing day when all fixtures in UK off but ER was playable with undersoil heating = early 80s. 1-1 draw, Stapleton and Jamieson

hibbypostie
22-03-2017, 07:06 PM
That night is one of my earliest memories of Easter Road...

Here you go mate, hopefully the link works.

https://picclick.co.uk/HIBERNIAN-v-MANCHESTER-UNITED-LEGEND-GORDON-RAE-1988-201857786962.html#&gid=1&pid=2

Thanks Buddy http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/thumbs%20up.gif

weecounty hibby
22-03-2017, 07:23 PM
Willie Jamieson scored for us. Think he was only 17 or 18 at the time. Shades broke Brian Robsons collarbone
Robsons shoulder injury from that game gave him grief for the rest of his career

O'Rourke3
22-03-2017, 09:31 PM
I think that was an earlier game, on a boxing day when all fixtures in UK off but ER was playable with undersoil heating = early 80s. 1-1 draw, Stapleton and Jamieson
Boxing day 1981. I was on shift at the Artisan which opened 11 - 6:30. We asked a MU fan when they knew there was a game. We just showed up at the bus at 9 as normal. No idea where we were going and didnt care..

Sent via the bushes @ EM