PDA

View Full Version : Our Penalty

wookie70
19-03-2017, 10:04 AM
Holt does well to make the most of a wee tug and gets a pen. He then gets the ball ponders and throws to a very nervous looking Keatings. The Dumbarton players protest and the ref books one. Keatings meanwhile is standing ball in hand at the penalty spot with their keeper and a defender no doubt putting him off. Holt starts to shove their keeper back towards his goal. The ball is spotted by Keats. After that Holt walks behind the bye line gets a bottle of water, take a drink while Keatings is walking back to take the pen, runs through the box possibly delaying the pen again and stands, as he often does behind a defender so there is no way he could get a rebound. I can't imagine any of that particualarly helped a nervous Keats.

theonlywayisup
19-03-2017, 10:07 AM
Holt does well to make the most of a wee tug and gets a pen. He then gets the ball ponders and throws to a very nervous looking Keatings. The Dumbarton players protest and the ref books one. Keatings meanwhile is standing ball in hand at the penalty spot with their keeper and a defender no doubt putting him off. Holt starts to shove their keeper back towards his goal. The ball is spotted by Keats. After that Holt walks behind the bye line gets a bottle of water, take a drink while Keatings is walking back to take the pen, runs through the box possibly delaying the pen again and stands, as he often does behind a defender so there is no way he could get a rebound. I can't imagine any of that particualarly helped a nervous Keats.

Anything low and hard into the corner of the net and we would have scored. The penalty was perfect high for the goalie. No excuses!

oneone73
19-03-2017, 10:09 AM
A professional footballer, and a striker to boot. He should be relishing a penalty.

frazeHFC
19-03-2017, 10:14 AM
Was a poor penalty. Nade showed how to put one away under pressure.

Heisenberg
19-03-2017, 10:16 AM

Sounds too much like clutching at straws for excuses. Keatings simply isn't good enough and proved why he can't get a game yesterday.

Pretty Boy
19-03-2017, 10:16 AM
I'm just shocked there isn't a 3 page thread berating Holt for 'making the most' of a pretty light touch. Not behaviour we want to see at ER. Apparently.

Billychaotic182
19-03-2017, 10:24 AM
So it's Holts fault Keatings missed a terrible penalty?! I've heard it all now

linlithgowhibbie
19-03-2017, 10:37 AM
So it's Holts fault Keatings missed a terrible penalty?! I've heard it all now

I dont think that is what Wookie is saying, he is just saying that Holts behaviour couldn't have helped.
I have never seen any player do what Holt did prior to a penalty being taken.

Moody Blues
19-03-2017, 10:56 AM
I dont think that is what Wookie is saying, he is just saying that Holts behaviour couldn't have helped.
I have never seen any player do what Holt did prior to a penalty being taken.

I felt the same way, that Holt delayed the penalty getting taken by hanging around behind the goals drinking water. it is not a excuse for a poor penalty but it did not help the situation.

wookie70
19-03-2017, 01:19 PM
Keating never took a great penalty. What I am saying is what was Holt up to. None of it would have helped.

Baldy Foghorn
19-03-2017, 01:37 PM
Why did Holty not take the penalty?

3pm
19-03-2017, 01:47 PM
Why did Holty not take the penalty?

I wanted SJM to take it.

oneone73
19-03-2017, 01:49 PM
I wanted SJM to take it.

Missed his last one.

Pretty Boy
19-03-2017, 01:56 PM
Did McGeouch not score a penalty or 2 last season? Definitely 1 away at Palmerston in the rain.

Would have had him on it.

wookie70
19-03-2017, 02:02 PM
Did McGeouch not score a penalty or 2 last season? Definitely 1 away at Palmerston in the rain.

Would have had him on it. That would have been a decent shout. There were three on the park I would never had taking it and that would have been Keatings, Holt and Boyle. Nerves are what cause most penalty misses. Professional footballers are all more thanvcapable of hitting a ball low or high in the corner out of the Keeper's reach. No-one should take a penalty if they don't fancy it and Keatings this time and Boyle at Tannadice didn't look like they wanted to take it.

scoopyboy
19-03-2017, 02:11 PM

Would have had him on it.

Dylan was the obvious shout, he's scored 2 or 3 and not missed one.

I can only assume it was decided before the game Keatings was on them.

His body language was all wrong to me in the wait between the penalty being awarded and him taking it.

In my opinion if Cummings hadn't been suspended he would have taken it, scored and we would have went on to win the game.

Silly silly Jason.

3pm
19-03-2017, 02:18 PM
Missed his last one.

Yep. Still wanted him to take it! :o)

greenlex
19-03-2017, 03:04 PM
That would have been a decent shout. There were three on the park I would never had taking it and that would have been Keatings, Holt and Boyle. Nerves are what cause most penalty misses. Professional footballers are all more thanvcapable of hitting a ball low or high in the corner out of the Keeper's reach. No-one should take a penalty if they don't fancy it and Keatings this time and Boyle at Tannadice didn't look like they wanted to take it.
No Boyle at tannadice had to fight Holt off to take the penalty up there.

wookie70
19-03-2017, 03:49 PM
No Boyle at tannadice had to fight Holt off to take the penalty up there.
From my recollection Holt again got the ball and looked over to Lennon. Boyle didn't look to me like he wanted to take the kick more like Lennon said it was his job.

greenlex
19-03-2017, 04:23 PM
From my recollection Holt again got the ball and looked over to Lennon. Boyle didn't look to me like he wanted to take the kick more like Lennon said it was his job.
You sure it wasnt the other way round and Lennon said if he wants it let him take it?

The Sundance Kid
19-03-2017, 04:27 PM
Our current squad's penalty record for Hibs

Hanlon: Scored 3 out of 3 (100%)
Harris: Scored 1 out of 1 (100%)
Cummings: Scored 10 out of 13 (77%)
Holt: Scored 2 out of 3 (67%)
McGeouch: Scored 2 out of 3 (67%)
Boyle: Scored 2 out of 3 (67%)
Keatings: Scored 2 out of 3 (67%)
McGinn: Scored 1 out of 2 (50%)
Gray: Scored 0 out of 1 (0%)

cabbageandribs1875
19-03-2017, 04:36 PM
iirc boyle was the chosen player to take any penalty for the game at tannadice, but NL put his hand up afterwards and admitted it was his fault that he still allowed a player that had a total stinker of a game up till then to take it

scoopyboy
19-03-2017, 04:48 PM
Our current squad's penalty record for Hibs

Hanlon: Scored 3 out of 3 (100%)
Harris: Scored 1 out of 1 (100%)
Cummings: Scored 10 out of 13 (77%)
Holt: Scored 2 out of 3 (67%)
McGeouch: Scored 2 out of 3 (67%)
Boyle: Scored 2 out of 3 (67%)
Keatings: Scored 2 out of 3 (67%)
McGinn: Scored 1 out of 2 (50%)
Gray: Scored 0 out of 1 (0%)

That's including penalty shoot outs I take it.

Where did McGeouch miss his?

The Sundance Kid
19-03-2017, 04:53 PM
That's including penalty shoot outs I take it.

Where did McGeouch miss his?

Yeah, that's including shoot outs and he had his penalty saved in a 3-1 win away to Livingston near the end of Stubbs' first season. Interestingly everyone beneath Cummings on the list missed their last spot kick for the club

scoopyboy
19-03-2017, 05:02 PM
Yeah, that's including shoot outs and he had his penalty saved in a 3-1 win away to Livingston near the end of Stubbs' first season. Interestingly everyone beneath Cummings on the list missed their last spot kick for the club

I remember it now.

Think he scored his first at Livingston as well in a 4-0 win.

Apart from Jason and possibly Paul there's no too many I would want to see take a pen.

greenlex
19-03-2017, 05:08 PM
iirc boyle was the chosen player to take any penalty for the game at tannadice, but NL put his hand up afterwards and admitted it was his fault that he still allowed a player that had a total stinker of a game up till then to take it
Could be right but not sure why Holt would be so animated about it if that was the case considering it was Boyle that won the kick in the first place. Might be wrong about that too mind.

emerald green
19-03-2017, 07:12 PM
Do the players not know who will be taking any penalties before they take to the pitch at the start of the game? If not, they should.

scooby
19-03-2017, 09:43 PM
I remember it now.

Think he scored his first at Livingston as well in a 4-0 win.

Apart from Jason and possibly Paul there's no too many I would want to see take a pen.

Paul would be my choice behind Jason, always looks composed and puts it in the corner.

NadeAteMyLunch!
19-03-2017, 10:11 PM
To be fair, Keatings scored a high pressure pen away to Falkirk in the play off second leg and takes most dead ball kicks when he's on the pitch. No issues with him being designated taker with Cummings suspended. The problem came from the fact he was having a shocker, like Boyle at Tannadice. When you're playing that badly it's absolutely inevitable that you will miss.
Said after the Utd game I had a horrible feeling that Cummings red card would cost us. Sadly I was right.