PDA

View Full Version : Are we capable of winning the league ?

eastcoasthibby
19-03-2017, 08:24 AM
Or are we going to depend in other results going our way ! Reason i raise it is that we continue to blow it every other week with poor results and then we look at other matches and hope results help us out which mostly to date that's happened.
Surely we aren't going to carry on this way and leave it til the last game, cos we know how that's gone in the previous 3,seasons .
What is it going to take to get our players motivated and playing with all the guts, desire, ability, committment that shows how much this means. ?
I am just not sure about us at all ..wish I felt differently.

Thecat23
19-03-2017, 08:32 AM
Yes we will win the league without worrying or depending on other results.

Nicho87
19-03-2017, 08:33 AM
Capable- yes
Major f up - also yes

Allant1981
19-03-2017, 08:36 AM
more than capable of winning the league, some of the games have been very bad but at the business end of the season we are still clear in the league

Spike Mandela
19-03-2017, 08:42 AM
This is a very difficult league. The six bottom clubs are separated by 8 points and are all fighting for their lives. On any day any team in the league can beat any other team. That includes us and our rivals for automatic promotion.

The "skooshers" on here have totally misjudged the standard of the opposition and our relative strength. We recruited poorly in the summer imo and it's making the league harder than it needed to be.

However we are 7 pts in front and we have the league's top goalscorer in our ranks and have a team that kept going yesterday even though it didn't look like our day.

A lot of hard work is still to be done but we can do it. Hopefully a couple of big crowds in our next two fixtures and a big final push can see us through.

Fifehibby74
19-03-2017, 08:44 AM
This is a very difficult league. The six bottom clubs are separated by 8 points and are all fighting for their lives. On any day any team in the league can beat any other team. That includes us and our rivals for automatic promotion.

The "skooshers" on here have totally misjudged the standard of the opposition and our relative strength. We recruited poorly in the summer imo and it's making the league harder than it needed to be.

However we are 7 pts in front and we have the league's top goalscorer in our ranks and have a team that kept going yesterday even though it didn't look like our day.

A lot of hard work is still to be done but we can do it. Hopefully a couple of big crowds in our next two fixtures and a big final push can see us through.

Couldn't have put it better myself 👍

killie-hibby
19-03-2017, 09:03 AM

Agree 100%. The standard of play in our division is no worse than in the Premier with the exception of Celtic.

HibbyAndy
19-03-2017, 09:04 AM
Course we are capable !

Smartie
19-03-2017, 09:12 AM

I agree to an extent. There are some tricky stuffy teams who can be hard to break down.

I think we've actually done the hard part this season - the results against the teams around us have been pretty decent.

Nobody can hide from the fact though that some of our play and results, particularly at home and particularly against the weaker teams has been miles short of what should be expected of a team in our situation.

We actually had a very good home record last season - it all fell to pieces late in the season on the road.

I get a feeling of complacency at Hibs. I think there are people throughout the club who almost feel we have a divine right to be beating certain teams. We's struggled to score enough goals, to create enough chances and to find a gameplan that consistently attacks the banks of defenders and gets results for 3 years and it is unacceptable.

If we win the league on goal difference and go up, I'll be delighted and that will be job done. But in truth it will paper over many cracks as irrespective as to whether or not we go up we have fallen short of the standards I have expected of the team this season.

We're lucky that we look likely to get away with the fact that all the other teams at the top of the Championship have been worse than us. This site would be very different if United or Falkirk had found a bit more consistency.

Post cup win it was right to keep the squad together but I wouldn't shed many tears if we had major reconstruction of the squad in the summer. Half the Premier League will come to Easter Road and park the bus, only with better players. We need to have better answers to that, much better answers.

Pretty Boy
19-03-2017, 09:20 AM
Can we - Yes
Will we - I'll tell you the evening of a week on Wednesday.

19-03-2017, 09:26 AM

Totally agree. Dumbarton came to ER yesterday, much like many other have in this league, with the game plan to sit deep and just hope they managed to get a lucky break. Dumbarton were probably the worst example of that yesterday. They had 2 shots on target (1 of which a penalty) and scored from them both. That is tough to break down. We SHOULD still be good enough to break them down but we aren't managing to.

I think we will win this league but lets not take anything for granted. Big final push needed.

Waxy
19-03-2017, 09:36 AM
Capable yes but so are Morton.

Wilson
19-03-2017, 09:38 AM
I believed we would win the league at a canter. The opposition is poor enough and we are good enough that we should have done so.

Other teams don't raise their game against hibs - we play down at their level. The continuing failure to turn our dominance into results - particularly against poorer teams - is why we still have a fight on our hands.

The league should be done and we're fretting about Morton! It is all our own doing. It is time for everyone to knuckle down for the final push.

Bostonhibby
19-03-2017, 09:39 AM
On what I witnessed yesterday I think we need to be slightly cautious about saying that particular group are capable of doing it. I thought quite a few of them would get us there before and their capabilities didn't match up to the task.

With the return of a few key players our chances improve but I am also aware that we are capable of losing to a morton side that clearly know how to play this league.

Statements like this is what we've come to. Promotion and a rebuild is a must.

Pretty Boy
19-03-2017, 09:43 AM
The ideal scenario would be Hibs win next weekend and Morton lose, it would put us in a great position going into Wednesday. Balance that with we lose and Morton win. That would give them the chance to cut the gap to 1 point with a game in hand on the Wednesday.

Of course there is still a lot of football to be played but the next 2 games are huge and will be a decent indicator of how the season will go from here on.

Borderhibbie76
19-03-2017, 09:49 AM

Excellent post and 100% accurate. The skooshers on here have badly misjudged the standard of this league and just how good we are too. We will win this league but we are going to have to battle to get over the line

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk