PDA

View Full Version : The Final 3rd failure..

Captain Trips
18-03-2017, 07:19 PM
.... is why we are not further ahead and more comfortable. Im not going to suggest we had or have any right to win this league but IMO we should win it and with the facilities and budgets to hand it should be more decisive.

I blame Keatings, Holt, Shinnie, Graham and Boyle also.

Holt 4 goals : Disgraceful in this league.
Keatings 6 goals : Disgraceful in this league.
Graham 4/5 goals: Disgraceful in tbis league.

Pathetic amount of assists also. Aye great when they have a good game but its not often enough. Do mot want to hear about Holt giving the defence a hard time, get scoring the lot if ye.

If you can't do it here then wtf you going to do if promoted. Shocking goal tally guys absolutely shocking.

hibby6270
18-03-2017, 07:27 PM
.... is why we are not further ahead and more comfortable. Im not going to suggest we had or have any right to win this league but IMO we should win it and with the facilities and budgets to hand it should be more decisive.

Pathetic amount of assists also. Aye great when they have a good game but its not often enough. Do mot want to hear about Holt giving the defence a hard time, get scoring the lot if ye.

If you can't do it here then wtf you going to do if promoted. Shocking goal tally guys absolutely shocking.

Let me be the first to agree with you, then we can both put our tin hats on for the onslaught of those that disagree.

Famous Fiver
18-03-2017, 07:30 PM
They had two shots on goal in 90 minutes. I lost count of ours.

Something in what both of you say.

Captain Trips
18-03-2017, 07:31 PM
Let me be the first to agree with you, then we can both put our tin hats on for the onslaught of those that disagree.

Cheers, I care not a jot if folk do not agree, if these guys were doing what supposed to regularly then we wouldn't be discussing this and be far further ahead.

mcfly
18-03-2017, 07:32 PM
We desperately need another goal scorer in the summer

Also a goal scoring midfielder please

wookie70
18-03-2017, 07:38 PM
Graham has scored 4 league goals in 600 minutes plus what he had today. He has failed to score once in the 3 games he has played 90 minutes in. I would have brought him on to take the penalty today just like I would have brought JC on at Utd for that pen. That is not hindsight either.

Holt has scored 3 league goals in the 1633 minutes and has 3 assists. One of those was a pen I think. He has played more league football than any of our other strikers including Jason. To be fair Jason's suspension is the reason that stat has now came about and that is not Holt's fault. Can't help but like him in some ways but he has not been a success in my eyes.

Keatings has 1 goal and 4 assists in 861 minutes. That is very poor but he has played lots of those minutes further away from goals than he would like. Mind you after today I'm not sure that would have made much of a difference.

Jason has scored 16 goals and 3 assists in slightly less game time than Holt - 1630 minutes. That is more than one positive goal scoring involvement per game and more goals than the other strikers put together. Same amount of assists as Holt too. Amazing to think how much stick he gets on this board.

Graham may not be the answer but he has looked very lively in his last few brief appearances. I have no idea why he hasn't been more involved as Holt's return for both scoring and creating has been very poor. If we continue to play Holt up front then I suggest we will continue to get very few goals and assists from him. He will bump into a few defenders and moan at the refs but the defenders will not be in the least bit concerned with this even if our fans love it for some reason.

Waxy
18-03-2017, 07:45 PM
We need goals all throughout the team. All good teams do it. Defenders chipping in with set piece goals. A couple of midfielders getting to or near double figures.

We have Jason.

Crab apple
18-03-2017, 07:50 PM
Graham has scored 4 league goals in 600 minutes plus what he had today. He has failed to score once in the 3 games he has played 90 minutes in. I would have brought him on to take the penalty today just like I would have brought JC on at Utd for that pen. That is not hindsight either.

Holt has scored 3 league goals in the 1633 minutes and has 3 assists. One of those was a pen I think. He has played more league football than any of our other strikers including Jason. To be fair Jason's suspension is the reason that stat has now came about and that is not Holt's fault. Can't help but like him in some ways but he has not been a success in my eyes.

Keatings has 1 goal and 4 assists in 861 minutes. That is very poor but he has played lots of those minutes further away from goals than he would like. Mind you after today I'm not sure that would have made much of a difference.

Jason has scored 16 goals and 3 assists in slightly less game time than Holt - 1630 minutes. That is more than one positive goal scoring involvement per game and more goals than the other strikers put together. Same amount of assists as Holt too. Amazing to think how much stick he gets on this board.

Graham may not be the answer but he has looked very lively in his last few brief appearances. I have no idea why he hasn't been more involved as Holt's return for both scoring and creating has been very poor. If we continue to play Holt up front then I suggest we will continue to get very few goals and assists from him. He will bump into a few defenders and moan at the refs but the defenders will not be in the least bit concerned with this even if our fans love it for some reason.

I agree about Graham, particularly for games against the likes of Dumbarton and Ayr

Captain Trips
18-03-2017, 08:14 PM

Great stuff

Ozyhibby
18-03-2017, 08:18 PM

Good post. The old Holt bullies defenders and creates space for other nonsense is up there with Brian Kerr's unseen work. People want to like him, I want to like him, but the fact is he is failing badly in a very poor league. We can't take him into the premier. It would be suicide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just Jimmy
18-03-2017, 08:44 PM
Mcginn
Shinnie
Fyvie
Bartley
The glass man dylan
Boyle

That's the reason we don't score enough. They hardly ever chip in or create. Boyle has done ok at times and is second top scorer i believe but he should be testing defences with his pace more.

We're far too static and plodding.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

DavidDavidGray
18-03-2017, 08:50 PM
Mcginn
Shinnie
Fyvie
Bartley
The glass man dylan
Boyle

That's the reason we don't score enough. They hardly ever chip in or create. Boyle has done ok at times and is second top scorer i believe but he should be testing defences with his pace more.

We're far too static and plodding.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

McGinn has been brilliant this season and Bartley isn't a creative player. Shinnie has disappointed me this season in his final third ability but seems good otherwise and I don't know how Boyle still gets a game. Defenders figure him out within minutes, he can't cut inside for the life of him and isn't good in front of goal. I'd switch to a 4312 soon, feel that would work really well

cammy1969
18-03-2017, 08:52 PM
Think it's time go abit more direct win the flicks/ knockdowns and shot quicker, teams know our play inside out pass pass pass to slow must a dream to defend against. Let's just mix it up a bit

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tamig
18-03-2017, 08:54 PM
McGinn has been brilliant this season and Bartley isn't a creative player. Shinnie has disappointed me this season in his final third ability but seems good otherwise and I don't know how Boyle still gets a game. Defenders figure him out within minutes, he can't cut inside for the life of him and isn't good in front of goal. I'd switch to a 4312 soon, feel that would work really well
John McGinn's form this season hasn't been anywhere near the levels he reached last year. Boyle had a good second half today and he was involved in the bulk of the chances we created. How would 3 in the formation you mention set up?

tamig
18-03-2017, 08:56 PM
Think it's time go abit more direct win the flicks/ knockdowns and shot quicker, teams know our play inside out pass pass pass to slow must a dream to defend against. Let's just mix it up a bit

Which is what we did for most of the second half today. Not sure why we can't start games like that.

AFKA5814_Hibs
18-03-2017, 09:11 PM
They had two shots on goal in 90 minutes. I lost count of ours.

Something in what both of you say.

Shots at goal - Hibs 18 Dumbarton 7
Shots on target - Hibs 8 Dumbaron 2

Yet again an opposition team score with all their shots on target, something that has a habit of happening against us.

wookie70
18-03-2017, 09:25 PM
McGinn has scored the same amount of goals and after today he will have twice as many assists as Holt in a couple more games worth of time on the pitch. He should do more and has not been as good as last year but not sure how he is to blame more than our strikers, excepting Jason. You don't get an assist when the strikers miss and outwith Jason and Graham none of them are very good finishers. Holt must have had 20 very good chances this year and apart from his 3 goals I can hardly remember him making the goalie make a good save. Keatings today with a volley straight at the Keeper and a penalty miss. Yes the midfielders should help out more but Lennon continues to not play Graham when everyone outwith Jason can't hit a barn door.

Criswell
18-03-2017, 09:32 PM
It has been our inability to turn our dominance into goals which is costing us dear. We simply don't score enough. Even today we had to rely on an own goal and a dreadful error by their goalkeeper to rescue a point.

calumhibee1
18-03-2017, 09:33 PM
Cummings is the only forward in this squad that should be getting promoted with us. McGinn needs to score more, Boyle has done alright to be fair. Other than that, the rest of the team need to take a long hard look at themselves in an attacking sense, and that includes the defenders who don't make nearly enough use of the amount of corners we have. McGregor, Hanlon, Fontaine and Grey win headers all day in open play but when it comes to corners they don't come close to scoring. I'm not going to include Ambrose in that yet seeing as he's only just here.

Lago
18-03-2017, 09:35 PM
Shots at goal - Hibs 18 Dumbarton 7
Shots on target - Hibs 8 Dumbaron 2

Yet again an opposition team score with all their shots on target, something that has a habit of happening against us.
A stat that has not been mentioned is 15 corners, yet nothing came of them, shocking.

Bishop Hibee
18-03-2017, 09:39 PM
Graham is not as good a footballer as Holt in terms of holding the ball up and passing but I firmly believe he would have 10-15 goals already if he'd played more games. He's more mobile and quicker than Holt and that's vital in this *****y league.

cammy1969
18-03-2017, 09:41 PM
Cummings is the only forward in this squad that should be getting promoted with us. McGinn needs to score more, Boyle has done alright to be fair. Other than that, the rest of the team need to take a long hard look at themselves in an attacking sense, and that includes the defenders who don't make nearly enough use of the amount of corners we have. McGregor, Hanlon, Fontaine and Grey win headers all day in open play but when it comes to corners they don't come close to scoring. I'm not going to include Ambrose in that yet seeing as he's only just here.

I think your spot on about the corners it's the same every game I can remember the yams had that big huddie Kyle they alway put corners to the back post and he just put them back across goal defences just couldn't defend them hearts got a good few goal out of them. But like the rest of our play we're to predictable a dream to defend against imo

cabbageandribs1875
18-03-2017, 09:51 PM
it was only 4 or 5 games back that we were flying pretty high and also had a +16 GD, now down to +9 better than falkirk

Borderhibbie76
18-03-2017, 09:56 PM
I'm not his biggest fan but feel a bit sorry for Graham
..think he deserves more starts and he would chip in with way more goals than Holt.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Tha Cabbage Kid
18-03-2017, 10:01 PM
I think the first 8 words in you msg was enough to be said and also the truth

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

DavidDavidGray
18-03-2017, 10:18 PM
John McGinn's form this season hasn't been anywhere near the levels he reached last year. Boyle had a good second half today and he was involved in the bulk of the chances we created. How would 3 in the formation you mention set up?

McGinns not been as good as last season but has still been great for us this season. I'd drop Boyle for McGeouch and have him and McGinn be the creative minded midfielders and have Bartley/Fyvie be the no-nonsense player that they excel at. Shinnie as the attacking mid and Cummings and Holt up top. Could just be me though

J-C
18-03-2017, 10:30 PM
It's not the final 3rd but the quality of ball into that final 3rd that's the problem. We have 2 decent playmakers in the team, players who can see a pass and create for the strikers, Shinnie blows hot and cold and Dylan is injury prone. I think we seen what can happen when we have a player like Commons in the team, a players who can make things happen, a player with guile and creativity.

I'll also state again, our tempo and speed of passing is ponderous and allows teams to get behind the ball and organise their 10 man defence, I was sick to the back teeth watching our players passing along the back 4 or sideways along the midfield.

This wa also a game where Bartley was not needed, he sat infront of the 2 CH's and had nothing to do for long periods, total waste of a player today, nothing against the big man but he offers very little apart from breaking play up.

pacorosssco
18-03-2017, 10:40 PM
It's not the final 3rd but the quality of ball into that final 3rd that's the problem. We have 2 decent playmakers in the team, players who can see a pass and create for the strikers, Shinnie blows hot and cold and Dylan is injury prone. I think we seen what can happen when we have a player like Commons in the team, a players who can make things happen, a player with guile and creativity.

I'll also state again, our tempo and speed of passing is ponderous and allows teams to get behind the ball and organise their 10 man defence, I was sick to the back teeth watching our players passing along the back 4 or sideways along the midfield.

This wa also a game where Bartley was not needed, he sat infront of the 2 CH's and had nothing to do for long periods, total waste of a player today, nothing against the big man but he offers very little apart from breaking play up.

Hibs last three seasons cant break down teams bottom to mid table yet can win v teams top table. We just need need get over line this season but lucky no strong rival . Double is o

cammy1969
18-03-2017, 10:53 PM

J-c I think you are bang on, there has been a lot of fans saying the same to slow tempo to many sideways and back passing ave said in another post we must be a dream to defend against as our game plan never really changes slow build up allows others team to get everybody behind the ball witch makes it hard to find space for killer pass

majorhibs
18-03-2017, 11:58 PM

Said same all game today, there is plent need emptied, not good enough, 4 outfields the day I would keep, the rest emptied. Sorry but not good enough. Not near!

Forza Fred
19-03-2017, 12:29 AM
We are the best team in this league by far at retaining possession.

We are one of the worst when it comes to actually doing something once we have got it.

We are slow going forward, and stereotyped in our delivery.

Just crossing hopeful balls into the box from the wing will inevitably be successfully dealt with by opposition defences, as all they have to do is knock it away anywhere by just getting a touch on it.

Increased tempo, with players cutting in may change things.

eastcoasthibby
19-03-2017, 08:40 AM
Yesterday 3 out his first 4 touches when the ball was played to him were first touch flick ons which didn't come of because they were Shi&# ..a d every time the better option was to take a touch ..all to often he does this. The other problem is the amount of time he spends on his backside and then takes ages to get up and back into the play, in between moaning at the officials, yes some moaning is justified but ...just get on wit the game !! Twice yesterday he did this in the second half and the ball came back into his area but he hadn't got up yet ... On other hand he does mix it a bit but how fruitful actually is he ? His goals ratio us woeful ..as he does the graft outside the box and doesn't have the legs to get into the area ..fact is we are stuck with what we have and they should be spending loads of time in their finishing as its poor for the level they are playing at and we need more from them ..

tamig
19-03-2017, 10:36 AM
McGinns not been as good as last season but has still been great for us this season. I'd drop Boyle for McGeouch and have him and McGinn be the creative minded midfielders and have Bartley/Fyvie be the no-nonsense player that they excel at. Shinnie as the attacking mid and Cummings and Holt up top. Could just be me though
So back to no width or leaving everything to the full backs again? I don't think that's a formula that's been proven to work against park the bus set ups tbh.