PDA

View Full Version : James Keatings

JDT
18-03-2017, 05:42 PM
Simple question for my fellow hibees but is he good enough? I like him and when he comes on as a sub he generally does well but it's seems like when it's time for him to start and make an impression he fails. I want him to do well but with him nearing his contacts end is he worth keeping?

Craig_in_Prague
18-03-2017, 05:43 PM
Bin him. Cheerio

BoomtownHibees
18-03-2017, 05:43 PM
Simple question for my fellow hibees but is he good enough? I like him and when he comes on as a sub he generally does well but it's seems like when it's time for him to start and make an impression he fails. I want him to do well but with him nearing his contacts end is he worth keeping?

Blew his chance today. Was very poor. Won't play above this level

Hibs90
18-03-2017, 05:44 PM
Blew his chance today. Was very poor. Won't play above this level

Agree. He has these random moments but overall not enough. Couldn't lace Cummings boots.

Bishop Hibee
18-03-2017, 05:44 PM
He was awful today. No space for him to play and completely unable to hold up the ball. Graham was better in his short time on the pitch than him or Holt.

Pretty Boy
18-03-2017, 05:45 PM
He's a million miles behind Cummings and he'll toil in the Premiership. It's telling that his last 2 clubs have seen him move on when they were promoted.

His movement is lacking and when it happens it's all straight lines and easy to defend. He is a good finisher generally but the game requires more than that unless you are an exceptional goalscorer, which he's not.

DTS
I think he is good enough yes. However today was a huge chance for him and he was absolutely woeful probably his worst game for us. My pal said to me in the warm up his body language looked down and not confident and it didn't have show during the game. I'd keep him for what he is a back up. I don't think you'd get many better players willing to come and play 20/30 mins every week with a start roughly 1/8 games or so. I also think his injury took a lot out of his confidence this season

guthrie01
Was his last game for Hibs today, that I'm sure

tamig
18-03-2017, 05:46 PM
Felt a bit sorry for him tbh. He cannot play up top with his back to goal. I was raging at Gray as he kept playing the same low ball into Keatings feet and it failed every time. I think he has good attributes to his game but I don't think the role he played today is for him.

18Hibee75
18-03-2017, 05:48 PM
Disagree. Think it should be his last game but he will come on as a sub in pretty much every game me thinks

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

Albanian Hibs
18-03-2017, 05:50 PM
Blew his chance big time. Knew he was going to miss his penalty.

blackpoolhibs
18-03-2017, 05:53 PM
We have some folk saying he should play up front, others say he should play in the hole behind the strikers.

Whenever he plays in either role, they all say he should be playing in the other.

That tells you all you need to know about him.

He has his moments, but like a few others he's not quite good enough.

BoomtownHibees
18-03-2017, 05:54 PM

Aye since we have so many strikers waiting to come in and help us out from the bench

PeterboroHibee
18-03-2017, 05:54 PM
Keatings has moments and games where he looks really good, then others where he is ineffective. I think part of that is down to him being in and out of the team (sometimes unfairly), along with being played in a variety of positions, but equally I think there are a number of games where he has had opportunities to show what he can do and hasnt delivered (today probably being an example of that). 1 league goal this season really isnt good enough, but that could equally apply to all our striker apart from Cummings.

marinello59
18-03-2017, 05:56 PM

Dearie me. Keatings still has a big part to play during the run in and he will score vital goals.

guthrie01
18-03-2017, 06:00 PM
Dearie me. Keatings still has a big part to play during the run in and he will score vital goals.

Like the total of 1 league goal he has scored this season ?
I know he had his injury but he has had plenty of opportunitys to prove himself and hasn't.
I like the boy but he just isn't good enough

blackpoolhibs
18-03-2017, 06:01 PM
Keatings has moments and games where he looks really good, then others where he is ineffective. I think part of that is down to him being in and out of the team (sometimes unfairly), along with being played in a variety of positions, but equally I think there are a number of games where he has had opportunities to show what he can do and hasnt delivered (today probably being an example of that). 1 league goal this season really isnt good enough, but that could equally apply to all our striker apart from Cummings.

1 league goal is not good enough, neither is the 3 that holts scored. I'm fed up hearing about what our forwards bring to the team apart from goals.

They are there to help score AND do the other things, so basically those two are poor at putting the ball in the pokey, but theres excuse after excuse trotted out weekly giving mitigating circumstances.

Personally they are just not good enough players in my opinion, but they try and give their all.

Badge
18-03-2017, 06:02 PM

What makes you say that? Wish I could share your confidence

J-C
18-03-2017, 06:03 PM
Very poor today, can't hold up a ball and movement is poor, still unsure where his best position is. He'll not get a new deal.

B.H.F.C
18-03-2017, 06:12 PM

He's scored one goal in the league all year and I don't see anything from him to suggest that'll change.

HibsNutter
18-03-2017, 06:13 PM
We need better next season, he really isn't that good.

Nicho87
18-03-2017, 06:13 PM
Doesn't move to the ball ever. If it ain't to his feet in the box he's static. Not good enough.

ehf
18-03-2017, 06:14 PM
Just not good enough. The lad Stirling that was playing for Dumbarton today was much better than Keatings.

Gatecrasher
18-03-2017, 06:14 PM
Not good enough, we needed a performance from him today and he gave us nothing, he's not the only one but if we go up I don't expect him to be at ER next season.

Lago
18-03-2017, 06:27 PM
Subs bench for me, doesn't have what it takes to start games, handy for the last 10 - 15mins of a game.

'mon the beers
18-03-2017, 06:35 PM
Just not good enough. The lad Stirling that was playing for Dumbarton today was much better than Keatings.

This for me. Keatings was awful today and the penalty miss summed up a poor afternoon for him.

matty_f
18-03-2017, 06:39 PM
I quite like Keatings generally, think he's a good player to have in the squad. If he played every week like he did today though, he'd be as well hanging up his boots. He was horrendous. Nothing came off for him at all.

He's a much better player than he showed today. This was a real chance to stake a claim for a starting place, and he blew it.

Jones28
18-03-2017, 06:41 PM
A lot of harsh views on him today. People have short memories - Keatings and Boyle both stepped up big time when Cummings wasn't playing and if it were not for an injury he would've been hard to keep out the team. Every one of our players struggle when teams put 11 men (literally) behind he half way line and defend as if lives depend on it. He was unlucky with a penalty and had an effort that was a whisker from being a winner.

I think he'd flourish in the premiership.

MikeyS
18-03-2017, 06:42 PM
Will be a Dundee Utd, Falkirk or whoever comes down player next year. Not good enough if we want to progress next year.

B.H.F.C
18-03-2017, 06:43 PM
A lot of harsh views on him today. People have short memories - Keatings and Boyle both stepped up big time when Cummings wasn't playing and if it were not for an injury he would've been hard to keep out the team. Every one of our players struggle when teams put 11 men (literally) behind he half way line and defend as if lives depend on it. He was unlucky with a penalty and had an effort that was a whisker from being a winner.

Must have missed Keatings stepping up. When did that happen? He's scored one league goal.

Centre Hawf
18-03-2017, 06:46 PM
Must have missed Keatings stepping up. When did that happen? He's scored one league goal.

I think some folk see what they want to see when it comes to Keatings. Its baffling.

Jones28

When cummings was out injured he and Boyle were terrific until he was injured.

BoomtownHibees

Terrific in what sense??

Jones28
18-03-2017, 06:48 PM
I think some folk see what they want to see when it comes to Keatings. Its baffling.

I'm not saying he's a superstar, he just plays well in the right conditions i.e. teams who play football and leave a bit of space in behind. He's not ****ing messi, what do you want him to do? Weave past 5 players and chip it into the corner?

BSEJVT
18-03-2017, 06:49 PM
If we were an American Football team and needed a place kicker he would be our man

As we aren't he isn't, nowhere near good enough to hold down a place in the team

I would place him 4th out of 4 of our strikers

I don't mind him on the bench but I wouldn't want to see him starting often

Jones28
18-03-2017, 06:49 PM
Terrific in what sense??

His all-round play was good when given the chance. Him and Boyle both contributed.

18-03-2017, 06:50 PM
I like Keatings but he was very poor today. Big chance blown for him today, with Cummings out this was his big chance to stake a claim for a starting place.

Centre Hawf
18-03-2017, 06:51 PM
I'm not saying he's a superstar, he just plays well in the right conditions i.e. teams who play football and leave a bit of space in behind. He's not ****ing messi, what do you want him to do? Weave past 5 players and chip it into the corner? You're right he's not Messi. But neither is Jason Cummings or Martin Boyle and both have more goals than him. Im sorry mate but he is not good enough.

B.H.F.C
18-03-2017, 06:52 PM

When? Name a game. No goals that I can remember.

Jones28
18-03-2017, 06:53 PM
You are entitled to your opinion but in this case your opinion is bollocks

Well away and ***** then 👍

BoomtownHibees
18-03-2017, 06:54 PM
Well away and ***** then 👍

No my fault you are seeing something that nobody else can 👍🏼

Jones28
18-03-2017, 06:55 PM
When? Name a game. No goals that I can remember.

Scored the only Hibs goal against United at Easter road

Jones28
18-03-2017, 06:56 PM
No my fault you are seeing something that nobody else can 👍🏼

As you say, everyone's got an opinion.

BoomtownHibees
18-03-2017, 06:57 PM
As you say, everyone's got an opinion.

Correct. Just like an ********

Jones28
18-03-2017, 06:58 PM
Correct. Just like an ********

😘

B.H.F.C
Scored the only Hibs goal against United at Easter road

Cummings wasn't out injured then. The two of them played up front. You said he was terrific when Cummings was out. No evidence of that at all.

Boyle has chipped in quite well, even though I don't think he's great. But Keatings, just hasn't really.

greenlex
Good player but inconsistent. Needs to be moved on I think.

Jones28
18-03-2017, 06:59 PM
Cummings wasn't out injured then. The two of them played up front. You said he was terrific when Cummings was out. No evidence of that at all.

Boyle has chipped in quite well, even though I don't think he's great. But Keatings, just hasn't really.
Opinions eh?

Dashing Bob S
18-03-2017, 06:59 PM
Keatings wasn't very good today. Wasted a big chance.

BoomtownHibees
18-03-2017, 07:01 PM
Opinions eh?

So when was he good when Cummings was out?

GlasgowHibee
18-03-2017, 07:03 PM
Easy to see why the Yams binned him, should be moved on at end of season.

B.H.F.C
Opinions eh?

Not on this occasion for me. There is nothing to back it up. He's not contributed anything goals wise and that's his job. Especially without Cummings.

Jones28
So when was he good when Cummings was out?

When I watched him 👍 I felt he contributed enough and when he was injured I felt it was a blow because he was playing well.

Does that satisfy as my opinion or are we going to chat about it all ****ing night?

500miles
18-03-2017, 07:06 PM
Off the bench, he's nippy, causes problems and sets up chances. Needs regular games to find form though, and won't get that at Hibs unless he adds strength to his game and plays behind the strikers or wide cutting in.

Jones28
18-03-2017, 07:07 PM
Only if you keep posting pish 👍🏼

Well you take as read that that's my opinion. If you don't like well gosh, I don't know what to do? Tell you what, you let me know next time and be sure to post accordingly.

Hi Heid Yin
18-03-2017, 07:08 PM
You are entitled to your opinion but in this case your opinion is bollocks

No need for this:bitchy:

BoomtownHibees
18-03-2017, 07:08 PM

True tho

Jones28
18-03-2017, 07:09 PM

It's ok mate, I'm a big boy.

Heisenberg
18-03-2017, 07:09 PM
Why is Holt not hitting that penalty? As baffled as I was when Boyle hit the one at Tannadice.

The Captain....
18-03-2017, 07:10 PM
Keatings obviously has ability but there are far too many occasions when he doesn't perform. Today being a prime example. It was an ideal opportunity for him and he was absolutely attrocious.

He'll score a couple of rakers every season in amongst the 5 or 6 goals he scores and manage to continue to hoodwink some that he is worth a place in the squad based on that. He isn;t consistent enough and if we go up there is no way we will hold on to him imo..he'll be let go.

Is It On....
18-03-2017, 07:13 PM
1 league goal is not good enough, neither is the 3 that holts scored. I'm fed up hearing about what our forwards bring to the team apart from goals.

They are there to help score AND do the other things, so basically those two are poor at putting the ball in the pokey, but theres excuse after excuse trotted out weekly giving mitigating circumstances.

Personally they are just not good enough players in my opinion, but they try and give their all.

You better get that tin hat on because remember all that JC does IS score goals. Personally I think it's critical we keep JC and somehow (I appreciate its expensive, down to luck) find more goals from another strike partner and midfield.

lucky
18-03-2017, 07:15 PM
He's not consistent enough, he has had loads of chances but never really performs when he starts. I doubt he'll be at Hibs next season but he's not alone in that.

B.H.F.C
18-03-2017, 07:17 PM
Why is Holt not hitting that penalty? As baffled as I was when Boyle hit the one at Tannadice.

Probably because Holt missed his last one and hasn't hit one since.

Heisenberg
18-03-2017, 07:19 PM
Probably because Holt missed his last one and hasn't hit one since.

He's a big experienced boy. I'm sure he'd have gone through the same kind of situation in his career. I'd want him on them every time if Cummings isn't available.

Hibee Mac
18-03-2017, 07:20 PM
Not nearly good enough, he's disappeared in almost every game he's played this season.

Second he stood up to take that pen I knew he'd miss

NadeAteMyLunch!
18-03-2017, 07:37 PM
I like Keatings but he was terrible today. Never been surer that someone is missing a pen since Boyles at Tannadice.

Roxyhibee
18-03-2017, 08:13 PM
Certainly one of the worst performances I've seen in a Hibs jersey for a long time. Really woeful. Up there with McGivern on Hamilton Sunday.

Why the f was he allowed to take that crucial penalty when he hadn't put a foot right all game.?

I do however have some sympathy with the role he was given today as the spearhead - never his position in a million years - and Gray kept putting weak passes into his feet when he was moving to go through the channel. They were on completely different wavelengths and Gray looked short of strength today.

I've nothing against James but as a striker in the SPL.? Absolutely no thank you.

mcfly
18-03-2017, 08:31 PM
No good enough - cheerio

HibsNutter
18-03-2017, 08:34 PM
Certainly one of the worst performances I've seen in a Hibs jersey for a long time. Really woeful. Up there with McGivern on Hamilton Sunday.

Why the f was he allowed to take that crucial penalty when he hadn't put a foot right all game.?

I do however have some sympathy with the role he was given today as the spearhead - never his position in a million years - and Gray kept putting weak passes into his feet when he was moving to go through the channel. They were on completely different wavelengths and Gray looked short of strength today.

I've nothing against James but as a striker in the SPL.? Absolutely no thank you.

What is his position then? When he plays in behind people moan because they think that he should be playing up front.

B.H.F.C
18-03-2017, 08:35 PM
He's a big experienced boy. I'm sure he'd have gone through the same kind of situation in his career. I'd want him on them every time if Cummings isn't available.

Keatings has hit a few previously. He had a shocker today though and I'd never have a player who is having a shocker hitting the penalty.

The penalty taker would have been decided before. With Holt's prowess on front of goal this year I don't think it's a nap he'd have scored.

tamig
18-03-2017, 08:38 PM

I remember Keatings having a great game at Dunfermline when Cummings was dropped. He was top notch that day. Unfortunately that was the game where he suffered a pretty bad injury later on and I don't think he's recaptured that form since returning.

Roxyhibee
18-03-2017, 08:40 PM
He plays better working short of the defending back line where the marking is less intense and moving on to loose balls and passes. He has very little strength and is so easily marked in today's role. Jeez - Lennon should know this.

Centre Hawf
18-03-2017, 08:41 PM
I remember Keatings having a great game at Dunfermline when Cummings was dropped. He was top notch that day. Unfortunately that was the game where he suffered a pretty bad injury later on and I don't think he's recaptured that form since returning.

Not sure I count one decent 60 minutes or so as good form to try and recapture but I agree he played well then. Its a shame he couldn't build on it but the time is up for me on him.

Jones28
18-03-2017, 09:53 PM
Not sure I count one decent 60 minutes or so as good form to try and recapture but I agree he played well then. Its a shame he couldn't build on it but the time is up for me on him.

The boy needs games. Off the bench every 2 weeks isn't enough.

Mantis Toboggan
18-03-2017, 10:03 PM
His movement and engine arent good enough. He is a good footballer though.

calumhibee1
18-03-2017, 10:29 PM
He's nowhere near good enough and the fact Hearts left him behind in this league speaks volumes. I fully expect us to do the same when we go up and would be disappointed if we didn't.

Borderhibbie76
18-03-2017, 10:29 PM

No way will he flourish in premiership mate I'm sorry. I dunno what you can Base that on at all. He was dreadful today...no movement and a dreadful 1st touch. Like a few in the squad...he ain't good enough and won't be offered a new deal imo

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

calumhibee1
18-03-2017, 10:38 PM

Everyones entitled to their own opinion but I think his goals record would suggest he certainly never stepped up when Cummings wasn't playing. If Cummings had of played in that 8 or so game stretch he, without a shadow of a doubt in my eyes would have scored more goals in that period than Keatings has scored all season.

pacoluna
18-03-2017, 11:01 PM
Absolutely dross today. With the missed pen his pass early on in second half that was over hit when on the counter attack summed up his game.

Jones28
18-03-2017, 11:08 PM
Everyones entitled to their own opinion but I think his goals record would suggest he certainly never stepped up when Cummings wasn't playing. If Cummings had of played in that 8 or so game stretch he, without a shadow of a doubt in my eyes would have scored more goals in that period than Keatings has scored all season.

So we criticise Holts contribution all season - which has been dreadful in terms of goals but the effort from Keatings through the season has been decent he gets slated?

You can't expect someone to step in to a team like that and make an instant impact.

500miles
18-03-2017, 11:13 PM
He's too easily outmuscled and wants too much time on the ball.He needs to work on his strength and look to play in wider areas.

He's got ability, but he's at a stage where he needs to make the most of it and get regular game time. I'm not convinced he'll get those opportunities here.

Jones28
18-03-2017, 11:17 PM
[QUOTE=500miles;4983223]He's too easily outmuscled and wants too much time on the ball.He needs to work on his strength and look to play in wider areas.

He's got ability, but he's at a stage where he needs to make the most of it and get regular game time. I'm not convinced he'll get those opportunities here.[/QUOT

Here no, but I wouldn't get rid of him in the premier league either.

J-C
18-03-2017, 11:19 PM
The boy needs games. Off the bench every 2 weeks isn't enough.

Keatings is very inconsistent, that's why he didn't get regular game time at Hearts and was released, if he wants to get regular football he has to show it when he gets a chance and make selection a headache for the manager. He is physically weak and easily pushed off the ball, movement poor, can't jump and that dreadful penalty today summed him up, poor.

Northernhibee
18-03-2017, 11:23 PM
He's regressed this season. He was a good player for us last season and was indeed keeping JC out of the starting lineup of some games last season.

greenlex
18-03-2017, 11:30 PM
So we criticise Holts contribution all season - which has been dreadful in terms of goals but the effort from Keatings through the season has been decent he gets slated?

You can't expect someone to step in to a team like that and make an instant impact.
We should be expecting it. What's more Keatings should be busting a gut to show why he should be in the starting line up. You don't do that by missing pens for a start. I had high hopes for him this season and I know he's been injured but the odd cracker isn't going to cover up inconsistent displays. For every decent game he has there are two or three less than average. If we are to progress as a. club we need better. For thise reasons I am out.

calumhibee1
19-03-2017, 12:02 AM

Holt should be scoring a hell of a lot more goals than he has, there's no doubt about that. But he does provide a decent foil for our goal machine of a striker. Keatings doesn't do that and offers next to nothing nothing nearly every time he gets an opportunity IMO.

pacorosssco
19-03-2017, 12:09 AM
He's nowhere near good enough and the fact Hearts left him behind in this league speaks volumes. I fully expect us to do the same when we go up and would be disappointed if we didn't. hearts didnt replace with better? And also let JC go also. Keatings has to make impact games given 20 mins or rare start. Hes bottom 6 spl standard forward id say. Lennon has given less time this season than stubbs gave and may be related training. He has enough to get start but like JC of last year needs work harder improve fitness all round game. Yet JC scores and improved work rate and game from last year. Keating a Dobbie in making when effort raised penny drops. Hope it happens in hibs top

Captain Trips
19-03-2017, 12:27 AM
Sorry James but over the season unacceptable.

majorhibs
19-03-2017, 01:05 AM
Sorry James but over the season unacceptable.

Along with TOO many- 1 in 10 good games, when "form" off it worse than mediocre, when combined with the likes of other 1 in 10 shysters like shinnie, bartley, boyle, holt etc when this useless unit dont perform, your team has no chance. Big emptying reqd soon.

pacorosssco
19-03-2017, 01:14 AM
Along with TOO many- 1 in 10 good games, when "form" off it worse than mediocre, when combined with the likes of other 1 in 10 shysters like shinnie, bartley, boyle, holt etc when this useless unit dont perform, your team has no chance. Big emptying reqd soon.

Bartley has been largely good player and games v hearts played key part in wins. Remember the squads of CC Fenlon.Expect Lennon to shuffle squad but all have gave 100% .

familyman
19-03-2017, 08:11 AM
Certain players get stuck and do not improve, he is in that category.Why on earth did he get to take the penalty when he clearly was having a VERY POOR game..he will move on..we need another more assertive type of player.....to his credit he does good runs but his control yesterday was shocking:flag:

Beefster
19-03-2017, 08:48 AM
If we're relying on Keatings in the Premiership, our squad is not strong enough. There are a few players that fall into that category, mind you.

eastcoasthibby
19-03-2017, 09:07 AM
I actually have a bit of time for Keatings ..as I think he us a bit about him, which we see all too fleetingly. He cannot play as a striker expected to hold the ball up he has been played there a few times , yesterday being another and he can't do it he is far better playing of someone ..but even then can't do it with any real consistency. Too hot and cold, I think this is his level in a team that plays different from us, too lightweight but can take a goal (,usually ) ..Had a poor game yesterday and like most couldn't believe he was handed the ball for the penalty ...think only mcginn or shinnie would have been my choice in it ..but that's past ..think Keats will be gone in the summer .

Bostonhibby
19-03-2017, 09:33 AM
Occasionally good championship footballer who I thought would score plenty but we're over capacity on the non scoring striker front so time for someone else to have a go. Problem is who do we have?

calumhibee1
19-03-2017, 09:33 AM
hearts didnt replace with better? And also let JC go also. Keatings has to make impact games given 20 mins or rare start. Hes bottom 6 spl standard forward id say. Lennon has given less time this season than stubbs gave and may be related training. He has enough to get start but like JC of last year needs work harder improve fitness all round game. Yet JC scores and improved work rate and game from last year. Keating a Dobbie in making when effort raised penny drops. Hope it happens in hibs top

I didn't say Hearts replaced him with better in my post. I would however have rather had Osman Sow, That big American guy and Goncalves than Keatings at Hibs. And I don't even particularly rate any of them either.

Jim44
19-03-2017, 11:17 AM
I was confident that Keatings would grab yesterday's opportunity to show Lennon that he has the mettle and ability to be first choice if Cummings wasn't available. He failed miserably and IMHO shouldn't start in any match for the rest of the season. Occasionally he shows up well when he comes on as a sub., when I guess he has the attitude to let Lennon see what he is missing. He blew it yesterday.

we are hibs
19-03-2017, 11:20 AM
He like a striker version of Shinnie. Turns it on once every 6 or 7 weeks. Not consistent enough and if you aren't consistent enough then you aren't good enough.

lucky
19-03-2017, 12:01 PM
He like a striker version of Shinnie. Turns it on once every 6 or 7 weeks. Not consistent enough and if you aren't consistent enough then you aren't good enough.

Shinnie has played well in the last few weeks but Keatings hardly plays well when he starts. I think there is a player in him but he just does not produce it often enough

RamYer1902
19-03-2017, 12:59 PM
Wand of a left foot but his ability is spoilt by his severe lack of work rate and his disinterest when playing as shown yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G B Young
19-03-2017, 03:15 PM
I was quite excited when we signed Keatings but he seemed to play better under Stubbs. He scored a few cracking goals in the first few months of his Hibs career, including a hat-trick at Paisley, and also played well in the play-off game at Falkirk, but I did hope for more from him.

Was Lennon the manager when Celtic released him? If so, I wonder if he feels he's under pressure to prove a point which might impact on his confidence.

Smartie
19-03-2017, 03:27 PM
His head goes down too easily.

Say what you want about Cummings, he has spirit, confidence and self-belief that are unparalleled and his desire to score in the final minute of a game when he's had a shocker is the same as it is in the first minute of a cup final.

If Keatings doesn't start a game well his head goes down.

Attitude and spirit count for as much as ability and I'm seriously questioning Keatings' at the moment. He's had a lot of chances and failed to take them.

BoomtownHibees
19-03-2017, 03:36 PM
If Keatings doesn't start a game well his head goes down.

Agree with this and was told exactly the same from a Jambo mate when we first signed him

J-C
19-03-2017, 03:42 PM
I was quite excited when we signed Keatings but he seemed to play better under Stubbs. He scored a few cracking goals in the first few months of his Hibs career, including a hat-trick at Paisley, and also played well in the play-off game at Falkirk, but I did hope for more from him.

Was Lennon the manager when Celtic released him? If so, I wonder if he feels he's under pressure to prove a point which might impact on his confidence.

Just checked and he was indeed his manager at Celtic.

BigT-Hibeez
19-03-2017, 07:04 PM

He was rotten yesterday, no strength, was easily bossed by part time defenders, terrible penalty, see ye later son..

heidtheba
19-03-2017, 07:16 PM
Quick question, do we use a sports psychologist and, if so, has anyone any experience of them themselves?
Would imagine they can be a game changer for some players, maybe Keats is one?

IberianHibernian
19-03-2017, 07:50 PM
Keatings had a poor game yesterday but even then forced their keeper into one great save and shaved the post with another shot . Graham also forced a good save in the few minutes he was on . Can`t remember Holt going near to scoring likewise Boyle till his goal which was hardly an example of great striking .

majorhibs
19-03-2017, 08:48 PM
Shinnie has played well in the last few weeks but Keatings hardly plays well when he starts. I think there is a player in him but he just does not produce it often enough

As posted, 1 in 8 performers are the last thing Hibs need. To get up, all important, we need to ditch the hangers on & deadwood. Results last couple months crap, team & supporters now sweatin, empty 1in 7/8/9 games not good enough inconsistent journeymen like yesterday, Keatings, Shinnie, Bartley, Holt, Boyle the likes ae that en masses having their usual "off day", really, what chance have ye got wi half a
team of inconsistent shirking hiding players who let teammates & themselves & supporters down? Nae teams winning when half the teams hiding!

Lago
19-03-2017, 08:54 PM
Impact sub pure & simple, not a 90min player.

Jones28
26-03-2017, 07:45 AM
Just wanted to give this a wee bump, have opinions been influenced by his performance today?

J-C
26-03-2017, 07:49 AM
He really didn't do a lot apart from his goal, whipped in a couple of good free kicks and corners but we need this on a regular basis not every 5 games with the other 4 being rubbish, still too inconsistent for me and the reason he's played most of his career in this division.

B.H.F.C
26-03-2017, 08:03 AM
Just wanted to give this a wee bump, have opinions been influenced by his performance today?

Not really. Great yesterday, but judging him over the season he's only contributed two goals in the league.

A good game every so often isn't enough. Need to improve for next year.

Jim44
26-03-2017, 01:51 PM

Nope, not good enough to be a regular starter. I'm happy to have him as a squad member. Interesting to remember that he twice turned down the chance to get to the Premiership with Hamilton and the Jambos. Maybe he knows his own level.

HibsNutter
26-03-2017, 01:55 PM

Na, we knew already that he is capable of that. His problem is doing it on a regular basis, and when given the chance from the start. Hopefully he can do so if given a run before the end of the season and can prove me wrong.

edwards
26-03-2017, 01:59 PM
Don't think Lennon is keen to get rid of him and will want him to adapt to midfield next season he does put in a good ball as did effe at right back

J-C
26-03-2017, 03:19 PM
Nope, not good enough to be a regular starter. I'm happy to have him as a squad member. Interesting to remember that he twice turned down the chance to get to the Premiership with Hamilton and the Jambos. Maybe he knows his own level.

Pretty sure Hearts freed him when they went up, I don't think he had a choice.

Billy Whizz
26-03-2017, 03:25 PM
Pretty sure Hearts freed him when they went up, I don't think he had a choice.

Didn't technically free him, he was under contract and they said he was free to go if he could find a club

J-C
26-03-2017, 03:31 PM
Didn't technically free him, he was under contract and they said he was free to go if he could find a club

Pretty much the same thing, why stay at a club where you're not wanted.

Jones28
26-03-2017, 04:47 PM
I'm just wanting Boomtown to tell me how ***** my opinion is, that's all 😉 🎣

mjhibby
26-03-2017, 05:07 PM
As posted, 1 in 8 performers are the last thing Hibs need. To get up, all important, we need to ditch the hangers on & deadwood. Results last couple months crap, team & supporters now sweatin, empty 1in 7/8/9 games not good enough inconsistent journeymen like yesterday, Keatings, Shinnie, Bartley, Holt, Boyle the likes ae that en masses having their usual "off day", really, what chance have ye got wi half a
team of inconsistent shirking hiding players who let teammates & themselves & supporters down? Nae teams winning when half the teams hiding!

Marvin has shown in the bigger games that he is SPL standard so will definitely want him to stay. Keatings and Boyle are good squad players and the type you need in your squad. Shinnie doubt we'll try and sign permanently and I'm sure Lennon realises Holt has done his bit and won't be there next season. Assuming Cummings and McGinn stay for a season I think there will be only 4 or 5 players signed. I'm sure Harris and Stanton will be away along with shinnie and Holt and Humphrey. I'd imagine he will be looking at left back to cover Lewis,a speedy left sided midfielder and a target man. Would loved us to get Marciano as he is the best keeper we've had for a long time. He will probably bring in another central defender ascwell. I'm sure the wage bill will be far higher with the extra revenue from the SPL and in sure if/when we get close to wrapping up the title we will see players signing new contracts.

Smartie
26-03-2017, 05:13 PM
He really didn't do a lot apart from his goal, whipped in a couple of good free kicks and corners but we need this on a regular basis not every 5 games with the other 4 being rubbish, still too inconsistent for me and the reason he's played most of his career in this division.

He scored a brilliant goal and put a superb ball in for the first goal but I thought he looked lively and threatening throughout.

He has failed so many times from the start of games it is hard to see him forcing his way in as a regular starter. But he could be a very handy impact player to have (if he was happy to be one).

If he can make an impact like that against Fslkirk then he can make it against half the teams in the Premier League.

Captain Trips
26-03-2017, 05:18 PM
Keatings was good yesterday what about the other matches he has played in. I have found that Keats, Holt etc when they are good they make a difference but in all honesty Keats and the rest have been sub par over the course thus far. 1 good game every 4/5 in this league IMO is unacceptable going forward.

I honestly would not be bothered with a totally different set of forwards next season bar JC. It will likely be one of these strikers whom scores the winner v Aberdeen.

Malthibby
26-03-2017, 05:25 PM
He scored a brilliant goal and put a superb ball in for the first goal but I thought he looked lively and threatening throughout.

He has failed so many times from the start of games it is hard to see him forcing his way in as a regular starter. But he could be a very handy impact player to have (if he was happy to be one).

If he can make an impact like that against Fslkirk then he can make it against half the teams in the Premier League.

Yup, I think he will do very well in the SPL.
GG

hibsbollah
26-03-2017, 05:29 PM
He really didn't do a lot apart from his goal.

Watch the highlights.

BlackSheep
26-03-2017, 05:32 PM
I really am stumped as to why so many folk on here don't rate Keatings. As JCs understudy he doesn't get the regular run out that he needs to carve out the groove in which he does play consistently well. Until Shinnie was signed I had an inkling that keatings would have played behind the two main strikers in the formation that Lennon favoured at the start of the season. Had those tactics worked out then both Keatings and Holt would have received a lot less criticism this year but as we never had decent wing backs (Gray and Stevenson are better full backs than wing back imho), then we didn't get the correct amount of time to see how it worked... I feel Shinnie may also be a stronger player off the front two... he is certainly not a wide player. I think he intended tactic was for Holt to hold up for Keatings or knock on for cummings, or vice versa, but it didn't work out. During preseason this is where he played and he played well iirc for both the first team in preseason and the development team. Think he has been judged pretty harshly in the past month or so and I think he is a great squad player and should be kept regardless if we go up or not.

Captain Trips
26-03-2017, 05:43 PM
I really am stumped as to why so many folk on here don't rate Keatings. As JCs understudy he doesn't get the regular run out that he needs to carve out the groove in which he does play consistently well. Until Shinnie was signed I had an inkling that keatings would have played behind the two main strikers in the formation that Lennon favoured at the start of the season. Had those tactics worked out then both Keatings and Holt would have received a lot less criticism this year but as we never had decent wing backs (Gray and Stevenson are better full backs than wing back imho), then we didn't get the correct amount of time to see how it worked... I feel Shinnie may also be a stronger player off the front two... he is certainly not a wide player. I think he intended tactic was for Holt to hold up for Keatings or knock on for cummings, or vice versa, but it didn't work out. During preseason this is where he played and he played well iirc for both the first team in preseason and the development team. Think he has been judged pretty harshly in the past month or so and I think he is a great squad player and should be kept regardless if we go up or not.

Plenty of time to get into groove in this league. 5 goals is not good enough maybe for you not for me.

jgl07
26-03-2017, 06:05 PM
If we're relying on Keatings in the Premiership, our squad is not strong enough. There are a few players that fall into that category, mind you.
WE hear this crap constantly as if the Premiership were some sort of high standard league. It is not.

Take away Celtic and there is little to choose between them and the Championship.

Hibs are probably better placed in the Premiership than the Championship and this is reflected in Cup and League Cup performances over the last two or seasons.

One (uniucky) defeat to Ross County and wins against Aberdeen, Hearts (x2), St Johnstone, Dundee United (x2), Inverness.

The teams relegated in the last two seasons - St Mirren and Dundee United - haven't exactly covered themselves in glory at the (alleged) lower level. The play-offs ahev worked out differently as the system is rigged in favour of the Premiership team.

Keatings will cope fine in the Premiership.

J-C
26-03-2017, 07:21 PM

Watch the highlights.

It's amazing that by cutting a quote for your own gain, it makes it look different to what I said, I also added that he whipped in some good free kicks and corners.

Keatings was tidy enough yesterday but we need more than the odd showing every 5th or 6th game to move forward.

BlackSheep
26-03-2017, 07:37 PM
Plenty of time to get into groove in this league. 5 goals is not good enough maybe for you not for me.

How many starts in a row has he had his year? Certainly not enough to get a good run under his belt... just before his injury he was starting to gain momentum and had a few strong performances in a row... then he was out injured and since then Cummings has kept him oit of the starting line up.
Hardly a fair chance at judging his consistency!

Captain Trips
26-03-2017, 07:54 PM
How many starts in a row has he had his year? Certainly not enough to get a good run under his belt... just before his injury he was starting to gain momentum and had a few strong performances in a row... then he was out injured and since then Cummings has kept him oit of the starting line up.

It is for me had plenty of time and that goes for others. Massive let down upfront from him and the rest. Might do a turn might not but won't lose any sleep if all our forwards bar JC move on.

scooby
26-03-2017, 08:11 PM
I really like Keatings and feel he'd do well for us in the SPL where we'll have more space.
I think he suffers from lack of confidence, but definitely has the ability.

JDHibs
27-03-2017, 09:34 AM
My opinion hasnt changed.

Still isnt good enough for the top level. Saturday just showed he has got talent, but isnt anywhere near consistent enough.

All good being good with free kicks/corners, but quite a few games this season now hes offered nothing else.

greenlex
27-03-2017, 10:08 AM
My opinion hasnt changed.

Still isnt good enough for the top level. Saturday just showed he has got talent, but isnt anywhere near consistent enough.

All good being good with free kicks/corners, but quite a few games this season now hes offered nothing else.
Quite a few times he's been asked to play in a position he is.neither comfortable with or any good at. I think where he was on Saturday is his natural position and it showed defensive side apart. Easily good enough fir the top league IMO .

HFCdeb
27-03-2017, 10:19 AM

This is a fair point and definitely worth considering when commenting on Keatings this season because he really was coming on to a great game at the point he was injured at Dunfermline. He's capable of absolute magic but doesn't do it anywhere near enough. My personal view is that he won't cut it in the Premiership. His head goes down far too easily and that's what separates him from the likes of Boyle who is the most one dimensional player I've seen since Ivan Sproule but busts a gut every time he plays. I've come away from many games this season forgetting that Keatings was even on the pitch. He's been anonymous far too often. That said, there's still games to play and still time for him to make a solid case for himself.
Also, it depresses me that with all our so called "class" midfielders, that Keatings is the only one capable of taking consistently decent corners and free kicks. For most of this season, that has been his only redeeming attribute.

lugz
27-03-2017, 10:24 AM
I really like Keatings, a very gifted player who yes can be inconsistent but definitely worth giving at least a year in the premiership. I think more open games will suit him rather than teams parking the bus.

He would be way down the list of players I'd be getting rid off this off-season. Players like Handling, Holt, Graham would be out the door before him, we can't leave too many holes to fill for next season.

scooby
27-03-2017, 11:01 AM
I really like Keatings, a very gifted player who yes can be inconsistent but definitely worth giving at least a year in the premiership. I think more open games will suit him rather than teams parking the bus.

He would be way down the list of players I'd be getting rid off this off-season. Players like Handling, Holt, Graham would be out the door before him, we can't leave too many holes to fill for next season.

Totally agree 👍

Brightside
27-03-2017, 11:04 AM
Almost every player in the team has shown themselves to be very poor on occasion. We'll have no one left if we let them all go.

IWasThere2016
27-03-2017, 11:16 AM

Summed up perfectly for me also.

sleeping giant
27-03-2017, 07:24 PM
Loved the way he celebrated Sir Davids goal in the final .

He gets another year from me.

Vault Boy
27-03-2017, 07:28 PM

Completely agree

rcarter1
27-03-2017, 08:04 PM
Loved the way he celebrated Sir Davids goal in the final .

He gets another year from me.

That celebration is worth a three year contract on its own. :greengrin

Id like to see him in the SPL.

SirDavidsNapper
27-03-2017, 08:09 PM
I think Keatings could be a real asset next season. He'll have a point to prove playing in the Premiership. I like him and he was probably our best player earlier in the season before his injury.

cmcd
27-03-2017, 09:06 PM
How many of our players could have scored Keatings goal on Saturday . Lennon sees something in him and I will go with his decision rather than posters on here

R'Albin
27-03-2017, 09:25 PM
I think he's played his best football for us out in left wing. It really gave him the chance to use his pace and defences struggled with him and Boyle running at them.

Beefster
28-03-2017, 06:03 AM
WE hear this crap constantly as if the Premiership were some sort of high standard league. It is not.

It's a higher standard than the Championship. A league in which Keatings has completely failed to become any more than a bit-part player.

Keatings may well go fine as a squad player but, as I said, if we're relying on him after promotion then something has gone wrong with the squad recruitment/retention.