PDA

View Full Version : NHC Dundee United

RamYer1902
16-03-2017, 09:03 PM
What has happened to them?

They looked a decent side at the start of the season up until when we demolished them at Easter Road.

Now, they look like they might even have a battle on their hands to maintain their spot in the Play-Off's!

Did we just make them look good when they were poor? On Friday, I personally thought they were as poor a side as we've faced all season, even before the red card. Nothing but constant fouls and they never caused us a problem all night.

For what it's worth, I actually think United are a decent club but they've got an absolute clown in the command with Stephen Thompson.

With the state their club is in financially as well, I don't think they can last a prolonged stint in the Championship like we have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BoomtownHibees
16-03-2017, 09:05 PM

They looked a decent side at the start of the season up until when we demolished them at Easter Road.

Now, they look like they might even have a battle on their hands to maintain their spot in the Play-Off's!

Did we just make them look good when they were poor? On Friday, I personally thought they were as poor a side as we've faced all season, even before the red card. Nothing but constant fouls and they never caused us a problem all night.

For what it's worth, I actually think United are a decent club but they've got an absolute clown in the command with Stephen Thompson.

With the state their club is in financially as well, I don't think they can last a prolonged stint in the Championship like we have.

They got lucky in the first 2 games against us as well. We totally outplayed them at ER and should have finished them off. Both teams were poor in the first game at Tannadice but if we score the penalty then they don't beat us

California-Hibs
16-03-2017, 09:08 PM
They got lucky in the first 2 games against us as well. We totally outplayed them at ER and should have finished them off. Both teams were poor in the first game at Tannadice but if we score the penalty then they don't beat us

Yep you're spot on there.

erin go bragh
16-03-2017, 09:14 PM
They were undefeated at Tannadice until we beat them last Fri .
It's their away form that's been honking .

Winston Ingram
16-03-2017, 09:16 PM
I didn't think they looked decent at all. They're a poor side

hibsbollah
16-03-2017, 09:17 PM

I doubt they'll have a 'battle on their hands' for the playoffs. QOS still need to make ten points up on them in only 8 games.

Jack
16-03-2017, 09:18 PM
I don't care about them.

We as a club, players and us supporting them must remain focused on the big prize.

Nicho87
16-03-2017, 09:19 PM
I've not been impressed with them in any of our four games we've played them. Only players I would consider hibs looking at would be Simon Murray and andreu. Other than that they are a club who like ourselves sold their best players and replaced them with average joes. Not a coincidence. No re-investment, no results.

In saying this I still would like to see them up in the top league, good history and a bigger fan base than half of the dross in the current top 12.

cammy1969
16-03-2017, 09:22 PM

Yeah think your spot on there I also think they have a decent 1st 11 when they all start but there squad not that strong. Where as we are very strong in both as seen with the players we have had out this last couple months. I think Jackie mc's signing where mostly poor got star in Robertson and thot he could buy from lower leagues and there'd be the same. Just as Jim Duffy did with us both ended the same in relegation

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mantis Toboggan
16-03-2017, 09:47 PM
Cant see them coming up in playoffs. If we do win the league then Falkirk should have too much for them over 2 legs, let alone whoever comes 11th in the Premier.

CMurdoch
16-03-2017, 10:29 PM
No mystery.
They sold all of their best players over a short period of time then bought poor replacements.
On relegation any remaining decent players were moved on or paid off.
As a result they have very little quality in their team this season and were never going to head Hibs.
If they have the cash they will add a bit more quality and be favourites to get promoted next season but much will depend on their financial health.
Does anyone know what their current financial state is?

Sir David Gray
16-03-2017, 10:40 PM
I said after the defeat at Tannadice in December that despite losing that match, I came away from that game more confident that we would beat them to the title than I had been before the game.

They were poor that night and pretty much the only reason we lost was down to the fact that we missed a penalty and they scored theirs. We were also missing Fyvie and McGinn through injury.

The two subsequent matches have shown them up for what they are which is very ordinary. They were blown away in the 3-0 game at Easter Road and last week they barely laid a glove on us. It was a very comfortable 1-0 victory for us.

They'll comfortably finish inside the play offs but I wouldn't be surprised if they finish 4th. It's more difficult for them than it is for Morton or even Falkirk. Dundee Utd will have had aspirations of winning the title and getting back up at the first time of asking. Now the possibility of that is pretty much all gone then I think it will be hard for them to get themselves up for the remaining games. On the other hand, the other two teams will be quite happy being in the play offs and really have nothing to lose.

I think they're almost certain to spend at least another season in the Championship as I would be very surprised to see them come through the play offs.

monktonharp
16-03-2017, 10:40 PM
I have no real thoughts about them or their fans, as they did skirt with relegation for a few years. their fans laughed at us , when they relegated us a few years back, and sang "we'll meet again, don't know where don't know when" which was a fine ditty for them at the time. we have had the last laugh though, and also over the last 2 seasons pumped them out of cups while we were a diddy team.

Dashing Bob S
16-03-2017, 10:42 PM
Simple. They came up against THE MIGHTY (TM) and we finished them as a club. Twice.

Okay, will stop taking the Jambo pills.

Their team was decimated slowly due to the club's finances. Players like Armstrong and GMS were sold and not replaced by anything close to the same quality. Most United fans thought they would have a battle on their hands, but McKinnon had them punching above their weight. Then they started to wobble, results going against them, and their players have lacked the skill and experience to fight their way out this bad patch.

For them it's now all about trying to find some form to go into the play-off's with, and trying to avoid 4th slot and that extra game. You wouldn't fancy then versus Falkirk or Morton right now.

One big mistake they have made is persevered with Fudd in the middle. He was a very decent player but his legs have gone. For all he brings in experience, the game painfully passes him by in the middle these days. If they don't come up (they won't) they will find it tough holding onto Tony Andrieu, their star player. Might be down there some time.

Mantis Toboggan
16-03-2017, 10:55 PM
I have no real thoughts about them or their fans, as they did skirt with relegation for a few years. their fans laughed at us , when they relegated us a few years back, and sang "we'll meet again, don't know where don't know when" which was a fine ditty for them at the time. we have had the last laugh though, and also over the last 2 seasons pumped them out of cups while we were a diddy team.

They did stand up to oldco though.
Then pumped them out the cup multiple times in a row.
Bit of a shame whats happened since. Would like to see them up next season.

monktonharp
16-03-2017, 11:01 PM
They did stand up to oldco though.
Then pumped them out the cup multiple times in a row.
Bit of a shame whats happened since. Would like to see them up next season.not a betting man but I would not bet on them returning even next year. they are in turmoil, with the Thomson issue also

Deansy
16-03-2017, 11:07 PM
Must admit I thought they would be THE main obstacle to us this season but, in the games I've seen them this season - no !. Think when they sold a lot of their star-players a season or two ago, it ripped the heart out of them and their support - and I now seriously doubt if they'll ever make it back to the SPL.

Sadly, it's looking like the jambo Hibee-hating-fud's team will be our main challengers again !

CMurdoch
16-03-2017, 11:07 PM
One big mistake they have made is persevered with Fudd in the middle. He was a very decent player but his legs have gone. For all he brings in experience, the game painfully passes him by in the middle these days. If they don't come up (they won't) they will find it tough holding onto Tony Andrieu, their star player. Might be down there some time.

Fudd is only 31 so he should still have legs.
Andrieu is on loan from Norwich so he won't be hanging about at Tannadice

Itsnoteasy
16-03-2017, 11:18 PM

Thomson is maybe a clown. But over the years that family has pumped millions into DU. Where do you think DU would be today without that dosh.

Michael
16-03-2017, 11:22 PM
Thomson is maybe a clown. But over the years that family has pumped millions into DU. Where do you think DU would be today without that dosh.

Probably the Premiership.

CMurdoch
16-03-2017, 11:49 PM

Agree, think they would have been relegated years before they were had Thomson Snr not bankrolled them. Thomson Jnr decided enough was enough and stopped using the family money.
Sold players to balance the books but sold too many in too short a period of time.
Supporters are naturally angry but some are unreasonable.
Hope they can hold their finances together long enough to get promoted next season.

SirDavidsNapper
16-03-2017, 11:57 PM

I remember their fans taking great pleasure in relegating us when they beat us at ER. For that reason alone I have no sympathy for them.

Niffy
17-03-2017, 06:24 AM
I remember their fans taking great pleasure in relegating us when they beat us at ER. For that reason alone I have no sympathy for them.

We have history though. The last time they were relegated we beat them 5-0 on the opening game and set the pace for them. Think we had a 3-0 against them too that year.

Happy coo shed days :)

Enough said
17-03-2017, 06:34 AM

Dundee Utd have never looked decent

Hibs1969
17-03-2017, 06:37 AM
I've always had a soft spot for DU. The way Jim McLean broke up the ugly sisters' monopoly in the early 80s followed by their great results in Europe was admirable. What's happened to them recently is pretty sad but inevitable once they went down the route of selling the family silver bit by bit. I'd rather see them coming up with us than Falkirk.

Thecat23
17-03-2017, 06:40 AM
Quite simply they are god awful. Have been all season! That's them down for a while imo.

frazeHFC
17-03-2017, 06:50 AM
They are rubbish. The first 2 games we were the better side but a silly draw and then a game of 2 penalties. The 3-0 was thoroughly deserved and I think their main worry now is the playoffs as Morton and Falkirk look better sides.

NORTHERNHIBBY
17-03-2017, 07:44 AM
There is a recognition amongst the United fans who I know at least that there is something far from right at Tannadice just now. Selling the gold and replacing it with tin is a situation we can empathise with. Staying down until they are ready to come up and stay up is what I have heard them say.

JDHibs
17-03-2017, 10:28 AM
They got lucky with the first match at Tannadice. We had several key injuries.

During their good run they relied on being defensively solid, and scoring the odd goal. Teams notice that they werent the best at the back if you attacked like we did in January.

They just dont score alot of goals, or they come in 4s. Mikkelson and Van Der Velden are poor. Simon Murray isnt as good as i thought he was going to be so they rely heavily on Andreu. A guy whos been invisible the twice we have played them.

QoS are doing not bad and could catch them. All the tops teams still have to play eachother!

Albanian Hibs
17-03-2017, 11:39 AM
They have been crap all season . Got lucky against us in the 1st 2 games.

CRAZYHIBBY
17-03-2017, 11:58 AM
Personally i hope they rot in the championship for another few years...i can't stand them especially the way their fans enjoyed putting the boot into us when we were struggling and facing relegation

Roxyhibee
17-03-2017, 11:59 AM
Never had a problem with Utd, in fact like most Scottish football fans, I thought the 80's team were incredible. A league title, a UEFA Cup Final and a European (Champions League) semi, where they were blatantly cheated by the Roma biased ref and officials for a place in the Final against Liverpool. And I'm not sure Liverpool would have found it easy against McLean and his team.!

They always brought through talent as well, but this team are horrendous and the current situation with Thomson looks very bleak for them. If I were a Utd fan, I'd be a lot more worried about the future than promotion this season.

Albanian Hibs
17-03-2017, 12:18 PM
Personally i hope they rot in the championship for another few years...i can't stand them especially the way their fans enjoyed putting the boot into us when we were struggling and facing relegation

Agreed. I had actually got over that until resident arab started posting his pish on here about them and their amazing fans. Hope they rot.

SeanWilson
17-03-2017, 12:47 PM
With no real chance of coming up through play offs, I reckon they're doomed to the duldrems. He'll not invest well enough to turn it around.

In any case, who gives a ****, ***** football club who can GTF.

Pete
17-03-2017, 12:52 PM
All the arrogance of Aberdeen but without the trophies and I actually prefer Dundee out of the two clubs. Ideally you want all the big boys in the top league but I hope they are down for a wee while yet to bring them down a peg or two.

Falkirk will sort them out in the play-offs.

hibeemikey21
17-03-2017, 12:55 PM
Agreed. I had actually got over that until resident arab started posting his pish on here about them and their amazing fans. Hope they rot.

That 1-3 game at ER the season we got relegated was one of my lowest ebbs as a hibs fan. It was really hammered home that night just how bad we actually were. The Utd fans were lording it up (and rightly so, playing devils advocate). They missed 2 pens in that game and could have scored about 8 or 9!

Dashing Bob S
17-03-2017, 01:09 PM
Fudd is only 31 so he should still have legs.
Andrieu is on loan from Norwich so he won't be hanging about at Tannadice

Didn't know about TA, and shocked Fudd only 31. If he was my neighbour I'd be de-icing his driveway, taking some soup in a tupperware bowl in, and offering to do his shopping.

ekhibee
17-03-2017, 09:30 PM
There's a lot I don't like about DU, but I still dislike Falkirk a lot more.

17-03-2017, 09:36 PM
Dismal wee club with no fans and no banter. Dundee has been the main club in the city since a certain Mr Kidd and Mr Griffiths.

Ronniekirk
17-03-2017, 09:44 PM
On thier first half showing v St Mirren they will finish fourth at Best But they looked totally bereft of ideas and didnt play like s team at all
Improved st start of second half but for me they never looked like beating St Mirren

Onceinawhile
17-03-2017, 10:03 PM

In their defence it was because it was them who would have been relegated otherwise!!!

SirDavidsNapper
17-03-2017, 10:11 PM
In their defence it was because it was them who would have been relegated otherwise!!!

Good point. I remember really rating the player who scored the two late goals for them. Olafsson? Was a right handfull

GreenOnions
18-03-2017, 10:34 AM
Yep - I agree that they have just not been able to replace players sold/left with sufficient quality.

They've lost some really good players over the last few years such as MacKay-Steven, Armstrong, Andrew Robertson and Johnny Russell plus some solid SPFL players such as Billy McKay, Morgaro Gomis, John Rankin, Ryan McGowan, John Souttar and Gavin Gunning.

I was laughing to myself watching their central defender Mark Durnan this season. He's a big lad - no doubt strong and good in the air but never a footballer of the quality DUFC should be signing. He's just one of those guys who boots the ball very hard in the air in whichever direction he's facing.

Similar story to ourselves after 2007 really - although not to quite the same extent.

Clearly lack of investment is a factor but some clubs manage without that. Too many managers in a short period and a lack of ability to scout new players could be just as big a factor I reckon.

KeithTheHibby
18-03-2017, 11:53 AM
Rediculous situation they found themselves in whereby Jackie Mac was getting a slice of any transfer fees.
As a fan I would be raging about that, imagine Neil Lennon getting a cut?!

A manager you would expect would be opposed to selling his best players however did JM do all he could to stop players leaving?

Anyway you reap what you sow and I don't have any real sympathy for them, no-one gived 2 ****s when we went down.

FWIW I would like to see them back in the PL rather than a team like Falkirk.

Keith_M
18-03-2017, 12:01 PM
If Hibs were playing Dundee Utd in a match to decide which one got relegated, and Hibs won the game, I for one would definitely be rubbing it in.

It's called banter, it's all part of the game.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQHbUQaI_OygWyoXZoJ4pRMyrTpTS0gf 2IKokGRprn5GgQ0TG6GhA

hibsbollah
18-03-2017, 01:40 PM
If Hibs were playing Dundee Utd in a match to decide which one got relegated, and Hibs won the game, I for one would definitely be rubbing it in.

It's called banter, it's all part of the game.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQHbUQaI_OygWyoXZoJ4pRMyrTpTS0gf 2IKokGRprn5GgQ0TG6GhA

:agree: What are people expecting their fans to do, shed a few tears on our behalf and join us in a rendition of Sunshine on Leith?

I don't mind Dundee Utd or their fans. Their Nazi stewards are a nightmare though...

Is It On....
18-03-2017, 01:56 PM
:agree: What are people expecting their fans to do, shed a few tears on our behalf and join us in a rendition of Sunshine on Leith?

I don't mind Dundee Utd or their fans. Their Nazi stewards are a nightmare though...

There used to be a particularly evil looking one in the late 80s / early 90s that patrolled the away end at both Dens and Tannadice. Used to get booed when he walked past!!

Dashing Bob S
18-03-2017, 04:21 PM
Misery continues for them. Pumped by Yogi's Raith today, they are now embedded in 4th. You don't want to be 2nd, or worse, 3rd, but especially not 4th. Pretty much a guaranteed passport to more championship football.