PDA

View Full Version : BT Sport superdeal for Scottish football

BigKev
16-03-2017, 06:59 AM
According to the Daily Mail BT Sport are going to offer a decent deal for exclusive rights to Scottish games. More than the £31 million offered by Setanta.

Personally prefer their coverage to the bland offering from Sky.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4318522/BT-Sport-ready-smash-record-secure-SPFL-TV-rights.html

Big_Franck
16-03-2017, 07:07 AM
According to the Daily Mail BT Sport are going to offer a decent deal for exclusive rights to Scottish games. More than the £31 million offered by Setanta.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4318522/BT-Sport-ready-smash-record-secure-SPFL-TV-rights.html

Can you copy and paste the article here? Don't want to visit the daily mail website.

blackpoolhibs
16-03-2017, 07:12 AM
Hopefully this starts a bidding war between them and Sky.

BigKev
16-03-2017, 07:12 AM
Can you copy and paste the article here? Don't want to visit the daily mail website.

Here you go 👍

BT Sport are ready to offer the SPFL their biggest-ever broadcasting deal in return for exclusive rights to Scottish football.

BT and Sky Sports currently pay around £21million a year to share 60 live SPFL games, while BT also have exclusive rights to the Betfred League Cup.

However, the telecoms giant are keen to secure the rights to Rangers and Celtic games and 60 live Premiership fixtures a season, and have launched a charm offensive to persuade club chairmen they can go it alone.

And SPFL sources believe they will shatter the previous record deal worth £31m a season - which was signed with Setanta in 2008 - to get their way.

BT Sport last week signed a mammoth £1.2billion three-year deal to renew coverage of the UEFA Champions League and Europa League.

By comparison, the sums under discussion for Scottish football represent a drop in the ocean.

But a series of formal and informal discussions between the two sides began in mid-January when chairmen and chief executives joined the SPFL’s Ralph Topping and Neil Doncaster in London for talks with BT executives.

SPFL figures have also attended a presentation at Twickenham, home of English rugby, to gauge the impact the broadcaster’s coverage of the Aviva Premiership has had on match attendances and viewing figures. Figures show the former rose by 10 per cent and the latter by 13 per cent.

The sums shared between clubs for broadcasting rights took a huge dent when Setanta’s UK operation collapsed in 2009.

Forced to do a knockdown deal with Sky and ESPN worth half the value of the previous deal, the loss of the regular Rangers-Celtic fixture in 2012 further diminished the product’s value in the eyes of broadcasters.

With Old Firm games back on the menu, however, BT Sport have used a series of formal and informal early discussions to woo SPFL figures and edge ahead of rivals Sky in the negotiating process.

‘It will all come down to numbers,’ an SPFL source told Sportsmail. ‘There is a value in Scottish football and BT Sport appreciate that. The matter should move forward next year.’

As part of the new Champions League deal, BT Sport will release free clips and weekly highlights. A similar package is on offer to the SPFL.

Sky retain rights to the William Hill Scottish Cup until next year and will hold their own discussions with SPFL chairmen in the coming months.

HIBERNIAN-0762
16-03-2017, 07:14 AM
It's all about the ugly sisters of course, nothing else matters.

:yawn:

blackpoolhibs
16-03-2017, 07:21 AM
Sportsmania have offered £25 and a free firestick for every club. :wink:

Fuzzywuzzy
16-03-2017, 07:31 AM
Just for the ****s and giggles I hope this happens.........then the Rangers die again

Jack
16-03-2017, 07:41 AM
I wonder with talk of Sevco being in distress again that this isn't a stitch up exercise between Donkeykong and the equally incompetent Toppers getting in early threats of Sevco must stay in the top league no matter what happens to them or what they do.

ARMAGEDDON.

Salt N Sauzee
16-03-2017, 07:53 AM

Apart from the 60 other live games a season.....

marinello59
16-03-2017, 07:56 AM

Whether we like it or not it's the Old Firm fixtures that most attract the TV companies.

Bristolhibby
16-03-2017, 07:58 AM
I wonder with talk of Sevco being in distress again that this isn't a stitch up exercise between Donkeykong and the equally incompetent Toppers getting in early threats of Sevco must stay in the top league no matter what happens to them or what they do.

ARMAGEDDON.

Or, and here's a tip, Doncaster, don't make the deal dependent on both OF Clubs (whatever their guise) being in the Premier League of the SPFL.

J

Bishop Hibee
16-03-2017, 07:59 AM
Prepare for the complaints about the crazy kick off times.

ian cruise
16-03-2017, 08:03 AM
Or, and here's a tip, Doncaster, don't make the deal dependent on both OF Clubs (whatever their guise) being in the Premier League of the SPFL.

J

I can't see anyway they could legally agree to a deal that guarantees both the old firm in the top flight. They could make promises that they'll ensure Rangers (and Celtic) run their business operations tightly to avoid the same situation happening again but if a club went down through bad results or was liquidated and had to resubmit their application for a league place they'd have no way they could allow them to stay up because of a TV deal.

Most likely scenario is that the value of the deal drops without the old firm matches but to be honest I think this move is more about taking football away from sky rather than being desperate for old firm games so I'm not sure that's the biggest issue, it will be in the eyes of the papers though.

Diclonius
16-03-2017, 08:21 AM
Lemme guess, 75% prize money for the teams finishing in the top two of the Premiership, with the other 10 scrambling around for the remaining 25%?

Sorry, that's unrealistic - 75% for the top two highest placed teams from Glasgow. Whose names aren't Partick Thistle.

Salt N Sauzee
16-03-2017, 08:28 AM
Prepare for the complaints about the crazy kick off times.

Even more Friday night games sound good to me.

GlesgaeHibby
16-03-2017, 08:32 AM
Great news if true. BT Sports coverage of Scottish football is infinitely better than SKY's. If this means the TV pot is also going to increase from £21m to over £31m then that is great news for Scottish football. Still very much small fry compared to England and Champions league money but that is a significant increase in investment.

Multiplying the current deal by 1.5 would give the team that finished 12th in the Premiership an additional 500k and the winners an extra £1.4m.

Current deal runs until end of 2019/20 season though, so could be a while before we see any extra cash.

Bostonhibby
16-03-2017, 08:35 AM
If this can trigger a bidding war the big companies might offer beads AND mirrors this time.

Doncaster and his cronies will accept and claim it's a victory.

NYHibby
16-03-2017, 08:45 AM
I can't see anyway they could legally agree to a deal that guarantees both the old firm in the top flight. They could make promises that they'll ensure Rangers (and Celtic) run their business operations tightly to avoid the same situation happening again but if a club went down through bad results or was liquidated and had to resubmit their application for a league place they'd have no way they could allow them to stay up because of a TV deal.

Most likely scenario is that the value of the deal drops without the old firm matches but to be honest I think this move is more about taking football away from sky rather than being desperate for old firm games so I'm not sure that's the biggest issue, it will be in the eyes of the papers though.

Over thinking this. They give BT options to end agreement if criteria are met, or BT can terminate for breach. Many ways to do this legally.

eastcoasthibby
16-03-2017, 08:52 AM
Hope its true ..the problem folk seem to have about it being all about the big glesgae two is not a surprise and not new so why the ..big issue , the important thing is that the financial distribution isn't too imbalanced in their favour if that is worked through fairly then its all good for Scottish football !!
No matter what price, that fixture will always be screened ...maybe just maybe they are also looking at us potential for us going up and our derby back on the agenda !! Just a thought .

Michael
16-03-2017, 09:12 AM
Won't matter as we'll never see any of it. Would be great for the game if the money was distributed the same way as it is in England (i.e. fairly).

southern hibby
16-03-2017, 09:24 AM
I may be wrong but did the clubs not get together before Satanta got involved and threaten a breakaway league without Rangers and Celtic and refused to sign deal with Sky? If I'm correct this was to stop the top two getting the majority of the money and the rest scrapping for the rest.

The ugly sisters threatened everything towards the other clubs but they never backed down, Satanta offered a new deal was signed by all clubs and was fairly distributed or am I just imagining this?

GGTTH

Hibbyradge
16-03-2017, 09:33 AM
Lemme guess, 75% prize money for the teams finishing in the top two of the Premiership, with the other 10 scrambling around for the remaining 25%?

Sorry, that's unrealistic - 75% for the top two highest placed teams from Glasgow. Whose names aren't Partick Thistle.

Scottish Premiership revenue distribution for 2015/16

Position/Totalpayment

1 £2,827,400
2 £2,025,600
3 £1,740,750
4 £1,529,750
5 £1,424,250
6 £1,318,750
7 £1,213,250
8 £1,160,500
9 £1,107,750
10 £1,055,000
11 £1,002,250
12 £949,500

Hibbyradge
16-03-2017, 09:33 AM
Won't matter as we'll never see any of it. Would be great for the game if the money was distributed the same way as it is in England (i.e. fairly).

See my post above.

hibsbollah
16-03-2017, 09:37 AM
Even if the cake is still divided up unevenly, a bigger cake for everyone looks like a good thing to me. Also, I've got bt sport for free through my phone contract so I'm all for it :cb

zlatan
16-03-2017, 09:52 AM
Will never happen but I'd love to see the SPFL start their own subscription based service.

Gatecrasher
16-03-2017, 10:03 AM
sounds good, I was looking to drop BT in the summer but if this comes to fruition it will be Sky getting the boot instead.

Carheenlea
16-03-2017, 10:05 AM
I don't subscribe to any televised sport, but as far as live fixtures go, BT's Friday night berth is my preferred option over Saturday and Sunday noon kick offs, so would be happy to see BT win the rights, and obviously an improved financial deal would be welcomed as well.

GreenNWhiteArmy
16-03-2017, 10:20 AM
i've been very critical of thos running our game for years, but if they can get us a better financial package then great. BT, imo offer better slots - i love friday night games as opposed to a Sunday at midday.

Seems too good to be true though and there will no doubt be some clause or package that weighs heavily towards the bigot brothers but if we have more money in the country then that can only be a good thing for all clubs.

Now we just need to evenly distribute the gate receipts and that will stop clubs like Aberdeen losing their better players (Pawlett) to teams struggling in league one down south (MK Dons)

Future is looking brighter than it has for a long time

Ozyhibby
16-03-2017, 10:20 AM
Whether we like it or not it's the Old Firm fixtures that most attract the TV companies.

Correct. Anytime the TV put on Dundee v Hamilton etc there are loads of posts on here saying who wants to watch that s***e.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michael
16-03-2017, 10:23 AM
See my post above.

So, 1st gets 3x what 12th gets. In England the difference is around 50% roughly.

ancient hibee
16-03-2017, 10:31 AM
The revenue split is reasonable and The OF league games are the only ones worth watching.

Geo_1875
16-03-2017, 10:37 AM
The revenue split is reasonable and The OF league games are the only ones worth watching.

Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.

BullsCloseHibs
16-03-2017, 10:59 AM
God bless the Amazon Firestick :wink:

HThomas92
16-03-2017, 10:59 AM
More than the £31 million offered by Setanta.

Oh damn, that's loads of money! This better goes straight to the clubs, not into pockets of those, who have nothing to do about football. I also hope that the cash will be distributed fairly among the clubs, and no one gets away with nothing.

Thomas (https://www.localdig.co.uk/)

Beefster
16-03-2017, 12:30 PM
See my post above.

Stop ruining things with facts. It'll never catch on.

green&left
16-03-2017, 12:34 PM

Except from Aberdeen and Motherwell last few seasons?

Happens in every sport, no problem with the winners and runners getting most cash. Would be wrong IMO if the Dons ended up with the same prize money as Accies. MciLroy and Andy Murray will end up with more cash than some diddies out first round.

Re: BT, happy for them to have sole rights. Sky seem to see Scottish fitba as a hindrance, sticking it on at any old slot so it doesn't interfere with English football. With BT hopefully they have a decent set slot for kick-off times. Their coverage also pisses over Sky.

tamig
16-03-2017, 12:46 PM
Will never happen but I'd love to see the SPFL start their own subscription based service.

And you think that would raise anywhere near £31m? Not a chance.

ian cruise
16-03-2017, 12:49 PM
And you think that would raise anywhere near £31m? Not a chance.

Absolutely no chance. With the introduction of free/illegal streams running your own service is a minefield these days and it'd be the death of Scottish football. BT will be happy to give us a large wedge of cash because it stops Sky showing games and they get the advertising revenue

stantonhibby
16-03-2017, 12:51 PM
Scottish Premiership revenue distribution for 2015/16

Position/Totalpayment

1 £2,827,400
2 £2,025,600
3 £1,740,750
4 £1,529,750
5 £1,424,250
6 £1,318,750
7 £1,213,250
8 £1,160,500
9 £1,107,750
10 £1,055,000
11 £1,002,250
12 £949,500

You can see from that why it is essential we get promotion.

Ringothedog
16-03-2017, 01:16 PM
You can see from that why it is essential we get promotion.

This is the championship distribution

1 £474,750
2 £400,900
3 £337,600
4 £274,300
5 £211,000
6 £189,900
7 £179,350
8 £168,800
9 £158,250
10 £147,700

I'm_cabbaged
16-03-2017, 01:16 PM
Anything that puts Andy walker out of a job 👍

green day
16-03-2017, 01:22 PM
Appreciating the differences in population etc, I note that QPR got £62 Million the season they were relegated !!

i.e. 2 x the entire Scottish TV deal !!!!

WhileTheChief..
16-03-2017, 01:23 PM
A far better TV deal meaning our club gets more cash yet straight away folk are bumping their gums about the Old Firm??

Hope it happens. BT coverage is really good and if its the same number of games being shown then there's no need for more kick off times to be changed.

All good as far as I can see.

JackLadd
16-03-2017, 02:15 PM
The back of Andy Walker would be good.

NAE NOOKIE
16-03-2017, 02:17 PM
I don't subscribe to SKY or BT sport channels and probably wont even if this deal goes through .... but if BT are going to show games on a Friday night or even a Monday rather than at daft o'clock on a Saturday or Sunday I'm all for it. Lets hope they get the Scottish cup as well so that the semis can be played at a civilised hour.

A fairer distribution of the money wont go amiss either ...... Celtic especially already make gazillions from always being in the champions league, the TV money is peanuts to them and a fairer distribution would be a real boon to struggling clubs like Motherwell and ICT.

jdships
16-03-2017, 02:46 PM
I have been a subscriber to " BT TV Sport" since it started and compared with the over hyped/overpriced "Sky" there is no contest for me
Will shed no tears if " Sky" lose out .

ancient hibee
16-03-2017, 03:21 PM
Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.

No I mean it.At the moment unless it was an OF game I don't think it's worth watching

Michael
16-03-2017, 03:24 PM
No I mean it.At the moment unless it was an OF game I don't think it's worth watching

Try a Hibs game.

ancient hibee
16-03-2017, 03:31 PM
Try a Hibs game.
Why would I need BT sport for that?

Michael
16-03-2017, 03:48 PM
Why would I need BT sport for that?

Ok, very good.:rolleyes:

IWasThere2016
16-03-2017, 04:56 PM
Needs a fairer share of the cake, and I prefer the picture on BT HD to SKY HD ... anyone else see a difference?

inglisavhibs
16-03-2017, 06:15 PM
This is the championship distribution

1 £474,750
2 £400,900
3 £337,600
4 £274,300
5 £211,000
6 £189,900
7 £179,350
8 £168,800
9 £158,250
10 £147,700

Did Hibs and Dundee United benefit from the televised league matches this season as these games were not part of the agreed contract? The cup semi final money is also split 4 ways with sky covering both and BBC our game, anybody know how much they pay per game? I seem to remember an old figure of £83k per team for each game but not sure of current arrangements.

Lago
16-03-2017, 07:13 PM

Nothing more than paper talk at the moment.

DavieRoy
16-03-2017, 09:47 PM
Correct. Anytime the TV put on Dundee v Hamilton etc there are loads of posts on here saying who wants to watch that s***e.

Exactly, we moan that Rangers and Celtic are always on and moan when the likes of St. Johnstone v Dundee is on.

If we get more TV money and less games on TV because The ugly sisters are on then great. Extra cash and more 3pm kick offs.

Reading the article though, it appears the SPFL want a BT deal. The danger is, they talk up one company to the detriment of the other and there is no 'bidding war', whatever you think of either.

People moan at Sky, I think they are actually okay. Ian Crocker is brilliant. BT just shout louder. Sutton was refreshing now he just tries to be controversial. BT's kick off times are better though.

The League moan about TV money, the SFA do well from their TV deals. The SP(F)L are still being punished for the mistakes of bad judgement in 2002 and 2008.

RamYer1902
16-03-2017, 09:58 PM
BT coverage is excellent. Sky is awful. If BT got rid of Craigan, it would sensational.

ColinNish
16-03-2017, 10:01 PM
BT coverage is excellent. Sky is awful. If BT got rid of Craigan, it would sensational.

And Chris Sutton

DavieRoy
16-03-2017, 10:22 PM
I actually preferred BT when they had Gary McAllister. I think it is now all about who shouts the loudest.

The SPFL changed the deal to allow extra Championship games in the Sky/BT deal, I don't think we get anything extra though.

Remember BBC telling us these games wouldn't be covered.

To be fair to Sky, they have had a camera at nearly all our games this season, the goals go up on a Saturday. BT have covered a couple of live games but that is it.

If BT get the deal, they need to do more than a live game, a preview show before the live game and a highlights show they buy in from Singapore.

Sky have a news channel and whatever we think of the quality of it, Scottish football is on it every day. Lennon has been on live a good few times. Stubbs was always on.

If Sky get it, they need to do a preview show and a longer highlights show. Jazz up their presentation too.

WhileTheChief..
16-03-2017, 10:54 PM
If BT get exclusive rights Im pretty sure they would offer more programs to go along with the live games.

Their coverage of The EPL and Euro leagues gets better each season.

They've only been going a couple of years, it takes a bit of time to find the right content and style and for us to get used to the presenters etc. Would be good if they did more on their website - video clips, interviews and the likes.

Definitely a decent alternative to Sky and I prefer their pundits to most of the BBC ones.

Mantis Toboggan
16-03-2017, 10:57 PM

Agree, although quite enjoy having Craigan as a token hate figure. Particularly when the other guys are clearly winding him up.

DavieRoy
16-03-2017, 10:59 PM
Apart from being ex Hearts, I think McCann analyses games well.

BT talk a good game but they don't do enough yet. They have been going four years.

Sky have started doing a lot more Scottish material On Dand on Catch Up TV. They did highlights of the recent Derby.

Friday nights are good on BT though.

If the SPFL are savvy, they will talk up both and their product to get them bidding.

When Setanta and Sky challenged each other, they have bids of at least £120 million, the problem was they picked the wrong one!

It is a good problem to have.

The Scottish Cup deal is up first, so whoever gets that might be a good indicator.

Eaststandee
17-03-2017, 01:18 AM
So, 1st gets 3x what 12th gets. In England the difference is around 50% roughly.
A parachute payment of 1 million over two years is giving to the team that is relegated as well, or at least it did when we dropped drown.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

GlesgaeHibby
17-03-2017, 07:53 AM
Apart from being ex Hearts, I think McCann analyses games well.

BT talk a good game but they don't do enough yet. They have been going four years.

Sky have started doing a lot more Scottish material On Dand on Catch Up TV. They did highlights of the recent Derby.

Friday nights are good on BT though.

If the SPFL are savvy, they will talk up both and their product to get them bidding.

When Setanta and Sky challenged each other, they have bids of at least £120 million, the problem was they picked the wrong one!

It is a good problem to have.

The Scottish Cup deal is up first, so whoever gets that might be a good indicator.

Ian Crocker is good but most other aspects of Sky's coverage of Scottish Football are terrible. David Tanner is utterly horrific as a presenter, McCann is a welt and they are on/off the air as close to kick off/full time as possible.

BT sports have better build up and analysis, good commentary team (except when Terry Butcher is asked along) and they also have the Scottish Football Extra show which I enjoy. Sutton has enemies, but at least he tries to talk up the Scottish game. BT are miles ahead of Sky and would be delighted if they got the new deal.

Not In The Know
17-03-2017, 09:13 AM
The spfl should pay Barry Hearn to negotiate for us.

Scott Allan Key
17-03-2017, 09:25 AM
The spfl should pay Barry Hearn to negotiate for us.

Och, I'm sure Donkey has come well prepared,

DavieRoy
17-03-2017, 09:42 AM
Ian Crocker is good but most other aspects of Sky's coverage of Scottish Football are terrible. David Tanner is utterly horrific as a presenter, McCann is a welt and they are on/off the air as close to kick off/full time as possible.

BT sports have better build up and analysis, good commentary team (except when Terry Butcher is asked along) and they also have the Scottish Football Extra show which I enjoy. Sutton has enemies, but at least he tries to talk up the Scottish game. BT are miles ahead of Sky and would be delighted if they got the new deal.

I agree about Sky mainly always going off air quickly but they usually do 30 minute build ups now. They did last season too when a lot of our games were on.

This season they did 30 minutes for Dundee United and Hearts they only used to do 15 minutes. Ahead of Dundee United, they did a great feature with Jason Cumming and Andy Walker.

I prefer Crocker as the commentator though.

Hibbyradge
17-03-2017, 12:45 PM

The English system would be even worse for teams other than the uglies, if applied in Scotland.

Last season, the teams in positions 2 to 6 received more than the winners because of TV appearances.

Michael
17-03-2017, 02:15 PM
The English system would be even worse for teams other than the uglies, if applied in Scotland.

Last season, the teams in positions 2 to 6 received more than the winners because of TV appearances.

Yes, like for like wouldn't work. But, that particular system works well for England and in general each team gets a fair share. Point is, I don't think first place should get more than 50% more than the lowest earning team.