PDA

View Full Version : Points Countdown

The Spaceman
15-03-2017, 09:29 PM
Wanted to start a "points countdown" to how many points we need (maximum) to mathematically win this league over ours and our rivals' last 9 games.

GGTTH.

:hibees

Sir David Gray
15-03-2017, 09:35 PM
We currently need 76 points to guarantee the title assuming that Morton win all of their matches although 76 points wouldn't actually be possible to achieve if Morton win all of their remaining games, given that we still have to play them twice.

If Morton win all of their games the most amount of points we can get to is 75 and then we would be neck and neck and it would be down to goal difference.

Dr What If?
15-03-2017, 09:52 PM
As an interesting side note, should we win against Dumbarton and Queen of the South loose we cannot mathematically finish outside the playoffs.

As we stand we cannot be caught by anyone in the botton three :wink:

Forza Fred
16-03-2017, 03:17 AM
72 or 73 points should do it.

Interestingly in our previous two seasons we ended up with 70 points.

Dundee won it in 2013/14 with just 69, but generally the winners have amassed 70 something to go up....excluding Hearts on 91 and Sevco on 81.

Worrying aspect is our goals for figure which is on track to be lower than last season's total of 59

mikewynne
16-03-2017, 03:50 AM
Not a mathematicial certainty but I think high 60s would do it. Are Morton or Falkirk really likely to amass more than 2pts a game? It's certainly possible, but I doubt it. If not, then 66/68ish should do it. I.e 12-14pts, 4 or 5 wins out of 9, or less with a bunch of draws thrown in ...significantly less of a points haul than our average.

jgl07
16-03-2017, 06:15 AM
Dundee United are now 10 points adrift and given goal difference need to make up 11 points on Hibs in nine matches. That is three defeats and two draws or four defeats for Hibs assuming United win all remaining matches. That isn't going to happen.

Falkirk seem to be the team in form but are six points behind Hibs with only eight matches to go. Hibs would probably need to drop 10 points assuming Falkirk win all matches. That is three losses and a draw or two defeats and two draws.

Morton are the closest contenders as they play Hibs twice so it is almost in their hands. If they win all ten matches Hibs would have to rely on goal difference even by winning all other matches.

So if Hibs win the next three matches it will be all over Bar a freak set of results.

Diclonius
16-03-2017, 07:25 AM
Currently - 6 ahead of Falkirk with 24 remaining and 9 ahead of Morton with 30 remaining.

Keith_M
16-03-2017, 08:41 AM
It would be nice if Hibs clinched the title on Wednesday, 29th March against Morton.

Mainly on account of the fact I'm over for a visit and I'll actually be at the game

:greengrin

hibbysam
16-03-2017, 11:54 AM
It would be nice if Hibs clinched the title on Wednesday, 29th March against Morton.

Mainly on account of the fact I'm over for a visit and I'll actually be at the game

It's basically impossible to win it that game is it not? That's only 3 games away so would need to be 18 clear of Falkirk by that game which we can't be.

Keith_M
16-03-2017, 12:04 PM
It's basically impossible to win it that game is it not? That's only 3 games away so would need to be 18 clear of Falkirk by that game which we can't be.

OK, how about if Falkirk and Morton were both to declare insolvency the week before and given a 25 point deduction?

:dunno:

CropleyWasGod
16-03-2017, 12:12 PM
OK, how about if Falkirk and Morton were both to declare insolvency the week before and given a 25 point deduction?

:dunno:

15 :nerd:

we are hibs
16-03-2017, 12:14 PM
Win our next 3 games and it's all but mathematically done.

if we beat Dumbarton on Saturday and Morton and Falkirk draw I'd say that we are inches from the finishing line

mcohibs
16-03-2017, 12:37 PM
Worrying aspect is our goals for figure which is on track to be lower than last season's total of 59

As it stands though we've conceded exactly half the amount of goals we did last season which is pretty impressive. Currently the exact same goal difference as we finished with last year.

lucky
16-03-2017, 12:39 PM
I don't care when we do but we need to keep up winning which something we've not been great at doing at home

J-C
16-03-2017, 12:42 PM
72 or 73 points should do it.

Interestingly in our previous two seasons we ended up with 70 points.

Dundee won it in 2013/14 with just 69, but generally the winners have amassed 70 something to go up....excluding Hearts on 91 and Sevco on 81.

Just goes to show why we were not happy dropping all the silly points to Ayr, St Mirren etc, those nine draws could've made it harder than what it is, we could easily have been 14-16 points clear by now.

Bristolhibby
16-03-2017, 12:45 PM
Just goes to show why we were not happy dropping all the silly points to Ayr, St Mirren etc, those nine draws could've made it harder than what it is, we could easily have been 14-16 points clear by now.

Thing is it's done now. Need to concentrate on Saturday, then the following Saturday, then the Wednesday, etc.

J

Keith_M
16-03-2017, 06:13 PM
15 :nerd:

That should about do it

worcesterhibby
16-03-2017, 06:34 PM
We currently need 76 points to guarantee the title assuming that Morton win all of their matches although 76 points wouldn't actually be possible to achieve if Morton win all of their remaining games, given that we still have to play them twice.

If Morton win all of their games the most amount of points we can get to is 75 and then we would be neck and neck and it would be down to goal difference.

I think we can fairly safely assume that if we win 7 of our last 9 games and Morton beat us twice in winning all of their last 10 games, we would still be ahead of them on goal difference as we have a 14 goal lead on them at the moment..therefore as it stands we need another 21 points to be sure of winning the league.

Sir David Gray
16-03-2017, 06:47 PM
I think we can fairly safely assume that if we win 7 of our last 9 games and Morton beat us twice in winning all of their last 10 games, we would still be ahead of them on goal difference as we have a 14 goal lead on them at the moment..therefore as it stands we need another 21 points to be sure of winning the league.

Would really want to take that chance!? :greengrin

worcesterhibby
16-03-2017, 07:01 PM
Would really want to take that chance!? :greengrin

louis Stevenson hat trick in the final match to get us the three goals needed to beat Morton on goal difference who only manage to win 2-0 :greengrin

Sir David Gray
16-03-2017, 07:08 PM
louis Stevenson hat trick in the final match to get us the three goals needed to beat Morton on goal difference who only manage to win 2-0 :greengrin

That really wouldn't surprise me. :greengrin

SuperAllyMcleod
16-03-2017, 07:26 PM
That really wouldn't surprise me. :greengrin

It would probably kill me - and a few others - if it got to that stage. I'm all for excitement but I'd much rather have a few games at the end of the season with nothing to play for as we have wrapped up the title with weeks to spare.

Sir David Gray
16-03-2017, 08:02 PM
I reckon around 4 or 5 wins from our last 9 matches will be more than enough which takes us to between 66 and 69 points.

For the other teams to get to that points total they would need;

Falkirk - 18-21 points from a possible 24 (unlikely)
Morton - 21-24 points from a possible 30 (unlikely)
Dundee Utd - 22-25 points from a possible 27 (unlikely)

There's no way any of those teams will be as consisent as that for the rest of the season.

Pescarese
20-03-2017, 07:27 AM
I reckon around 4 or 5 wins from our last 9 matches will be more than enough which takes us to between 66 and 69 points.

For the other teams to get to that points total they would need;

Falkirk - 18-21 points from a possible 24 (unlikely)
Morton - 21-24 points from a possible 30 (unlikely)
Dundee Utd - 22-25 points from a possible 27 (unlikely)

There's no way any of those teams will be as consisent as that for the rest of the season.

On current form (last 8 games) Hibs would only get 13 points, Morton would get 20 from their 9 games. Leaves both on 68 points. It's getting tight. A midweek win next week would be a huge step towards the title.

where'stheslope
20-03-2017, 07:10 PM
I just want us to go on a winning run, which all good champions do at the end of the season!

Unfortunately, I don't see it happening right now, I just hope none of the others hit a purple patch or it could be squeaky bum time!!!

Dashing Bob S
20-03-2017, 07:21 PM
Next two are the massive games. Win both and it's hard to see us being caught.

Sir David Gray
20-03-2017, 08:27 PM
I still think we need to get to that 5 wins marker which would take us to 70 points.

I personally don't see Morton picking up 22 points from their last 9 matches although you never know.

Diclonius
20-03-2017, 09:39 PM
7 points ahead, 27 points remaining.

CMurdoch
20-03-2017, 10:33 PM
It's Jason time.
Cummings to go on a scoring streak to finish the opposition.

mca
20-03-2017, 10:34 PM
The Points Calendar a Few years ago was really Embarrassing.. I cant go thru this again..