PDA

View Full Version : Two cup games v Celtic 85/86

vinhibs
15-03-2017, 11:34 AM
I'm looking for a bit of help on these two games. Does anyone have any details on the scorers? Was it 4-4 in league cup (penalty scorers?) and 4-3 in Scottish? I had a clear out and found the two programmes so going to get framed and stick a card in the frame with the scorers.

For guys of a certain age, these games probably bring back great memories from our early days watching Hibs.

cheers

Argylehibby
15-03-2017, 11:47 AM
I'm looking for a bit of help on these two games. Does anyone have any details on the scorers? Was it 4-4 in league cup (penalty scorers?) and 4-3 in Scottish? I had a clear out and found the two programmes so going to get framed and stick a card in the frame with the scorers.

For guys of a certain age, these games probably bring back great memories from our early days watching Hibs.

cheers

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/classic-match-hibs-4-celtic-4-hibs-win-4-3-on-pens-september-4-1985-1-1258759

details here.

Biggie
15-03-2017, 11:59 AM
http://www.scotsman.com/sport/classic-match-hibs-4-celtic-4-hibs-win-4-3-on-pens-september-4-1985-1-1258759

details here.

3 days later they came back to ER in the league and spanked us 5-0......remember it well, it was raining that day too (got married that day)

JimBHibees
15-03-2017, 12:03 PM
Brilliant memories. The 4-3 game we were 3-2 up with about 10 to go or so and Celtic got the softest of soft get out of jail free card penalties only for Eddie May to notch the winner soon after. Scenes at the end. :flag::aok:

DaveSo
15-03-2017, 12:10 PM
I was at the Scottish Cup game. One of my best days watching Hibs.
Straight from kick off after Celtic made it 3-3 with a very dodgy penalty, Hibs raced down the right wing and crossed for Eddie May to score. The place went absolute nuts.

I believe its the only time we have beat Celtic in the Scottish Cup since that day back in 1902 !

Waxy
15-03-2017, 12:20 PM

cheersThe 4-3 game is on youtube.

G B Young
15-03-2017, 01:02 PM
Brilliant memories. The 4-3 game we were 3-2 up with about 10 to go or so and Celtic got the softest of soft get out of jail free card penalties only for Eddie May to notch the winner soon after. Scenes at the end. :flag::aok:

Yes it was absolute bedlam at the end of the 4-3 game :agree:

In the 4-4 game Celtic's Pearce O'Leary missed what was I think the decisive penalty. IIRC he hit it so high over the bar it went out of the ground but my memory might be playing tricks on me.

bigwheel
15-03-2017, 01:14 PM
the 4-4 game , penalty win...is the only time I have invaded the Easter Road pitch , jumped on from the terracing after the successful penalty....

Tom Hart RIP
15-03-2017, 01:52 PM
Benny took the fifth and if he scored we went through. He'd scored a penalty in the 6-3 friendly a few months before and could have made himself a hero but missed. Thankfully pierce O'Leary put his over the bar.

aljo7-0
15-03-2017, 04:10 PM

In the 4-4 game Celtic's Pearce O'Leary missed what was I think the decisive penalty. IIRC he hit it so high over the bar it went out of the ground but my memory might be playing tricks on me.

Yes that's what I remember. The running joke was that he hit it so high it broke the electronic scoreboard behind the goal

homehibby
15-03-2017, 05:25 PM

Hibs scored their first two penalties and Celtic missed their first two. Hibs missed the next two and Celtic scored theirs.
Hibs scored their fifth and O'Leary blasted over the bar. Drama indeed I was right behind the goals what a game 😀

Nakedmanoncrack
15-03-2017, 05:34 PM
3 days later they came back to ER in the league and spanked us 5-0......remember it well, it was raining that day too (got married that day)

Was hammering down, no roof on the East at that time, it must have went up that season between these two Celtic cup ties.

PerthHibby
15-03-2017, 05:59 PM
Am I right in saying there was work going on at the ground, reduced attendance?......cowshed was rammed..

Lago
15-03-2017, 06:01 PM
Was hammering down, no roof on the East at that time, it must have went up that season between these two Celtic cup ties.
Those were the days, football in the raw, weather wise.

madabouthibs
15-03-2017, 06:29 PM
Only half the East was open as I think that was the season we built the East stand.
I was in the cowshed for both games, we were awful the start of season 85/86 in the league, but the cup run to the Skol Cup final made up for it.

Cat Stanton
15-03-2017, 06:36 PM

I was at 4-3 game. It was mental. One of my memories - among so many others - was how rank rotten Septic were defensively: I mean terrible. Yet they went on to be champions (I believe in quite dramatic fashion on the last day of the season...)

Mr White
15-03-2017, 06:39 PM
I was at 4-3 game. It was mental. One of my memories - among so many others - was how rank rotten Septic were defensively: I mean terrible. Yet they went on to be champions (I believe in quite dramatic fashion on the last day of the season...)

I like to think it was us scuppering their chances of silver ware in either of the cups that kept them focused and motivated until the very, very end of the league season. It paid off for them and we definitely played our part :greengrin

Skol
15-03-2017, 07:25 PM

I was behind the goal near the back and the ball whistled just over my head

Enough said
15-03-2017, 08:56 PM
Am I right in saying there was work going on at the ground, reduced attendance?......cowshed was rammed..

Roof on east terracing

Deansy
15-03-2017, 10:54 PM
The 4-3 game is on youtube.

Could you post a link to it, please ?. I tried but all I could find was a 50-second clip featuring Roy Aitken seemingly studding a Hibs-player !.

I did find one of us beating them 4-1 in 1978 and the only thing I remember of that game was our goal-keper Mike MacDonald booting Brian McLair in the plums !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcZ0yrTT45c

Archie McPherson on the pitch-invasion (01:11) - which was a much-favoured tactic of their support in those days -

'Oh dear, some young people are running onto the park - here we go again'

'Young people/again' - shows that even in those days, the media were too scared/biased to 'call it as it is' when it comes to either half of the 'Ugly Sisters' - and the reason he says 'again' backs-up the 'much favoured tactic' - the Septic-support was very fond of invading the pitches when they were getting beat in attempts to have the game stopped !

Superfurry72
16-03-2017, 11:23 AM
The 4-3 game was, up until last year, the most exciting Hibs game I had ever attended. But then everything changed.

We were 1-0 down at half time (McClair), then Stevie Cowan equalised early in the second half. They went 2-1 up (McGhee) before, with 15 minutes to go, Gordon Chisholm headed us level from a corner.

81/82 minutes we got a penalty, and Cowan made it 3-2. Then they got a penalty for absolutely nothing almost immediately afterwards - 3-3 (McClair).

Then the two subs combined at the very end - Harris crossing for May to head past Peter Latchford - bedlam!

Our team that day: Rough, Milne, Munro, Brazil (Harris), Rae, Fulton, Tortolano, Chisholm, Cowan, Durie, Collins (May).

It was on YouTube briefly last year - first time I'd seen the goals since that day, it was weird that my memories were so vivid over 30 years on.

Of course, Celtic did go on to win the league that year, after a last-day collapse by some other team. But we knocked them out of both cups (only to be beaten 3-0 by Aberdeen in a final and semi-final).

Lester B
16-03-2017, 11:34 AM
I was behind the goal near the back and the ball whistled just over my head

Me and my old man must have been standing very close to you as that's my memory of it too. Up until the Final last year those two games were the most exciting games I've ever been to and god knows I've been to more than a few!!

Lester B
16-03-2017, 11:38 AM
The 4-3 game was, up until last year, the most exciting Hibs game I had ever attended. But then everything changed.

We were 1-0 down at half time (McClair), then Stevie Cowan equalised early in the second half. They went 2-1 up (McGhee) before, with 15 minutes to go, Gordon Chisholm headed us level from a corner.

81/82 minutes we got a penalty, and Cowan made it 3-2. Then they got a penalty for absolutely nothing almost immediately afterwards - 3-3 (McClair).

Then the two subs combined at the very end - Harris crossing for May to head past Peter Latchford - bedlam!

Our team that day: Rough, Milne, Munro, Brazil (Harris), Rae, Fulton, Tortolano, Chisholm, Cowan, Durie, Collins (May).

It was on YouTube briefly last year - first time I'd seen the goals since that day, it was weird that my memories were so vivid nearly 30 years on.

Of course, Celtic did go on to win the league that year, after a last-day collapse by some other team. But we knocked them out of both cups (only to be beaten 3-0 by Aberdeen in a final and semi-final).

Wait a minute. Superfurry? Born in 72? Big on stats. Do you live in London with a recently born daughter named after a singer songwriter?

Waxy
16-03-2017, 12:00 PM
Could you post a link to it, please ?. I tried but all I could find was a 50-second clip featuring Roy Aitken seemingly studding a Hibs-player !.

I did find one of us beating them 4-1 in 1978 and the only thing I remember of that game was our goal-keper Mike MacDonald booting Brian McLair in the plums !!

Archie McPherson on the pitch-invasion (01:11) - which was a much-favoured tactic of their support in those days -

'Young people/again' - shows that even in those days, the media were too scared/biased to 'call it as it is' when it comes to either half of the 'Ugly Sisters' - and the reason he says 'again' backs-up the 'much favoured tactic' - the Septic-support was very fond of invading the pitches when they were getting beat in attempts to have the game stopped !

It was on youtube in that same channel but whoever posted it must have taken it down.It was a good 9 minutes of the game. Pity it was great to see it too.

number9dream
16-03-2017, 12:11 PM
That season was probably the peak of my fanaticism - young and daft and at just about every game.
Both cup games remain vivid in my memory as do the following trouncings from Aberdeen.

Killiehibbie
16-03-2017, 12:19 PM
I was behind the goal near the back and the ball whistled just over my headi was about 10 rows from the back and the ball was still travelling very fast when it went over my head. 2 of the most exciting games i've been at.

Superfurry72
16-03-2017, 12:21 PM
Wait a minute. Superfurry? Born in 72? Big on stats. Do you live in London with a recently born daughter named after a singer songwriter?

Hmm...

Deansy
16-03-2017, 12:22 PM
It was on youtube in that same channel but whoever posted it must have taken it down.It was a good 9 minutes of the game. Pity it was great to see it too.

Ach well, but thanks for replying mate - wonder why, whoever it, was took it down ?

Waxy
16-03-2017, 12:27 PM
Ach well, but thanks for replying mate - wonder why, whoever it, was took it down ?
No idea. If anyone has a youtube account could maybe ask him if he could put it back on.

Lester B
16-03-2017, 02:42 PM
Hmm...

Too late. Checked your posts. Saw your cup final story. Missed that at the time. Lovely for you to mention my old man in that. Thanks for that!

I remember talking about those Celtic cup games on one of our refreshed nights in London :hibees

SuperAllyMcleod
16-03-2017, 04:55 PM

It was on YouTube briefly last year - first time I'd seen the goals since that day, it was weird that my memories were so vivid over 30 years on.

The 4-3 game was never on TV.

Hibs did film it though - from the old main stand - I think it was for training purposes. A few copies of the full 90 mins on VHS were sold by the programme shop in Albion Road. It wasn't the best quality and didn't have any commentary (no loss there).

My copy is in the loft somewhere - no idea how to get it on YouTube though.

wearethehibs
16-03-2017, 08:25 PM
https://youtu.be/zC6TdbfemqA

Found a video of it. East stand looks amazing.

Scorrie
16-03-2017, 08:35 PM
Both these games were amongst my favourites at ER. Mind being in the cow shed when O'Leary missed his pen. Great celebrations on the pitch!

tamig
16-03-2017, 08:49 PM

Pedant alert. Brian McClair didn't get kneed by Mike McD. I think it might have been Joe Craig.
McClair wasn't even playing pro in 78.

tamig
16-03-2017, 08:53 PM
https://youtu.be/zC6TdbfemqA

Found a video of it. East stand looks amazing.

Just posted today. Hopefully it doesn't get taken down.

weecounty hibby
17-03-2017, 03:26 PM
Just posted today. Hopefully it doesn't get taken down.

Brilliant. Great memories. Hibs v Celtic and not a luminous yellow or black or purple strip in sight. I remember clear as day my mate sparking up a fag at half time and saying it was all over, I told him not to worry as we were doon the slope 2nd half!! What about Joe Ts skill for the winner. Chesting down the kick out and then playing a raker of a pass out to Harris

malcolm
17-03-2017, 08:21 PM

Just watched again on YouTube - fabulous could pick myself out on the pitch at the end although the picture was poor!

I was in the tunnel as the players came off and remember Durie screaming - found out later what team he followed :wink: I was under the north stand when the last 3 goals went in booking a visitor in for some er bed and breakfast and the thumping of the wooden floors told me how the score was going. :greengrin

Had to go onto the pitch at the end when the celtic fans invaded it and ended up taking another of those 'best fans in the world' back to the same place under the stand for encouraging those still in the Dunbar End to join him on the pitch obviously not for reasons of exuberance at the result or for imaginary protection duties - he pled not guilty that worked out well :wink:

swordin3
17-03-2017, 08:41 PM
Benny took the fifth and if he scored we went through. He'd scored a penalty in the 6-3 friendly a few months before and could have made himself a hero but missed. Thankfully pierce O'Leary put his over the bar.

I remember Benny scoring the hatrick they only had two stands open that day.