PDA

View Full Version : Getting from Murrayfield to Easter Road on Saturday.

Bristolhibby
15-03-2017, 07:23 AM
Morning All,

I'm flying up from Bristol at the weekend. I've tickets for the Scotland v. Italy game KO 1230 and the Hibs v Dumbarton game.

Has anyone tried to get from Murrayfield to ER in the same day before? If so what route do you suggest?

My seat at Murrayfield is at the tram stop end, I was looking to bolt quickly at full Time onto a tram to York Place, then either jump in a fast Black or hoof it to ER. Time is tight, I've got my Dumbarton ticket printed at home so that won't be an issue.

Looking forward to two wins!

GGTTH

J

bigwheel
15-03-2017, 07:28 AM
Other than a taxi straight there , sounds a good plan

HIBERNIAN-0762
15-03-2017, 07:30 AM
Taxi is best but road works are everywhere in central Edinburgh, would cost about £12/15 I would think.

:aok:

lord bunberry
15-03-2017, 07:34 AM
All the roads around murrayfield are closed after the rugby so you can't get a taxi without walking along to haymarket. The tram then a bus or a taxi from York place is your best bet.

Argylehibby
15-03-2017, 08:06 AM
Morning All,

I'm flying up from Bristol at the weekend. I've tickets for the Scotland v. Italy game KO 1230 and the Hibs v Dumbarton game.

Has anyone tried to get from Murrayfield to ER in the same day before? If so what route do you suggest?

My seat at Murrayfield is at the tram stop end, I was looking to bolt quickly at full Time onto a tram to York Place, then either jump in a fast Black or hoof it to ER. Time is tight, I've got my Dumbarton ticket printed at home so that won't be an issue.

GGTTH

J
You could have a helluva wait on a tram too, I know they put more on but it's not going to be a 5 minute wait unless your really lucky. My daughter was at a match last year and ended up walking into town as it was quicker.

Jones28
15-03-2017, 08:09 AM
Duck out 5 minutes before the end and jump a tram - you know what's most important to you anyway 😂👍

Twiglet
15-03-2017, 08:09 AM
There's the option of the 22 as well. Did that after the Wales match, but you need to be quick as the queue was huge and I was a fee minutes late. They line them up ready after the match just round the corner by the western approach road.

Spike Mandela
15-03-2017, 08:11 AM
Trams will be heaving and they travel frustratingly slow as **** when you are in a hurry.

Briskly walk away from Murrayfield heading towards Princes St as fast as you can, preferebly steal a march on the crowd by leaving a minute or two early, and grab the first available taxi you pass.

Nakedmanoncrack
15-03-2017, 08:28 AM
Just giving the rugger a miss would be the sensible option.

FastEddieFelson
15-03-2017, 08:28 AM
If you leave at about 12:30 you could make it across town for a few pints and would avoid having to watch any rugby.

Lancs Harp
15-03-2017, 08:39 AM
If you leave at about 12:30 you could make it across town for a few pints and would avoid having to watch any rugby.

Or leave when Scotland get 20 points in front after an hour, get ahead of the crowds and grab a swift pint on the way to the Shrine of the Holy Grail.

MurrayfieldHibs
15-03-2017, 09:17 AM
There's the option of the 22 as well. Did that after the Wales match, but you need to be quick as the queue was huge and I was a fee minutes late. They line them up ready after the match just round the corner by the western approach road.

I would go for this option or leave before the final whistle, walk up Russell Road and get a taxi from Groggie road.

Enjoy!

Kojock
15-03-2017, 09:25 AM
Sell your tickets for the rugby, get to a pub near ER early and watch it on the 📺 and the money for the tickets pays for your drink.

Pete70
15-03-2017, 11:01 AM
Another option is to walk to Roseburn Terrace and get a 26 bus, there's one about every 7 or 8 minutes, then get off the top of Easter Road.

Bristolhibby
15-03-2017, 11:04 AM
Thanks fellas, I've got some options now.

I was planning on chipping off a bit early. Hopefully Scotland will have a good lead by then.

Really looking forward to the weekend, hopefully see two wins and catch up with family.

Crazy flight time from Bristol though (departs at 07:00!)

Early to bed for me on Friday night.

J

Andy74
15-03-2017, 11:05 AM
Uber.

CallumLaidlaw
15-03-2017, 11:11 AM

I was planning on chipping off a bit early. Hopefully Scotland will have a good lead by then.

Really looking forward to the weekend, hopefully see two wins and catch up with family.

J

Download the bus and tram app, so you can time a tram that leaves the tram stop just before the end of the rugby. There is one at 13.55, then another at 14.02. But the 13.55 would probably be safer. Gets you to York place for 14.09 so plenty time to get down to ER. :aok:

Hibbyradge
15-03-2017, 11:13 AM
Duck out 5 minutes before the end and jump a tram - you know what's most important to you anyway 😂👍

I agree.

If you don't leave early, it'll take 15 mins to get out of the stadium and the streets will be chocker and you'll struggle to get to ER by 3.00, imo.

Good luck!

overdrive
15-03-2017, 11:24 AM
I've done it the other way a few time, ER to Murrayfield. Walked to Leith Walk, got a bus up to York Place and on a tram. Only ever missed the first five minutes of the rugby. As others have said, leave 5 minutes early to get on a less busy tram as you have to queue a while for a tram after the match.

J-C
15-03-2017, 11:41 AM
Murrayfield is a sell out for this game and the police close all roads from Haymarket station right up to Western Corner around 10-15 mins before the end of the game, good luck.

CapitalGreen
15-03-2017, 11:44 AM

J

Be ready to leave on the whistle get an Uber to scoop you up at the 22 bus stop before the West Approach road.

stage2
15-03-2017, 11:50 AM
You got anyone in town that would lend you a bicycle?
You wont get there quicker .
Obviously a non starter if the pub is on the agenda

H113EE5
15-03-2017, 11:52 AM
I'm on the same schedule. Leave 5 minutes to go.... tram to York Place then taxi. It's a similar situation to the last Scotland game, except a couple of hours earlier. I took the 22 bus the last time but got stuck in traffic at Haymarket. Let's hope for a great day at both venues.

As one... GGTTH

BigKev
15-03-2017, 12:20 PM
Does Leith Street not shut from this Saturday? If so buses will be rerouted so could be carnage 😬

G B Young
15-03-2017, 02:08 PM
Depends how fit you are. Walking briskly you can cover a lot of ground quickly on foot and by leaving 10 minutes before the end of the rugby to get clear of the crowds and any police road blocks (by which time Scotland SHOULD be well ahead) you'll reach town in time to catch a bus or tram for the next leg of your journey. A tram would only take you to the end of Queen St but another brisk walk from there would get you to ER in not much more than 10 minutes.

Hermit Crab
15-03-2017, 02:09 PM
Bin the rugby, pish game anyway.

Moulin Yarns
15-03-2017, 02:16 PM
get a decent pair of trainers.

Jog on :wink:

w pilton hibby
15-03-2017, 02:53 PM
Morning All,

GGTTH

J

Have ye considered a jetpack?

J-C
15-03-2017, 03:28 PM
Be ready to leave on the whistle get an Uber to scoop you up at the 22 bus stop before the West Approach road.

Or if you want a driver who understands English and knows well the **** he's going get a proper taxi. :thumbsup:

bigwheel
15-03-2017, 04:26 PM
Or if you want a driver who understands English and knows well the **** he's going get a proper taxi. :thumbsup:

:confused: oh dear.....

SRHibs
15-03-2017, 04:39 PM
Walk out the other side of Murrayfield and get a 1 straight to ER from G*rgie?

ruthven_raiders
15-03-2017, 04:40 PM
Does Leith Street not shut from this Saturday? If so buses will be rerouted so could be carnage 😬

Not closed till August

CapitalGreen
15-03-2017, 04:41 PM

Christ. My last Uber driver spoke perfect English having lived here all his life. He also got me out to the Airport for £10 cheaper than a standard black cab usually does so all in all I was delighted and he got 5 stars from me :)

Scouse Hibee
15-03-2017, 04:57 PM

Talk about tarring them all with the same brush. That's just like saying all black cabs drivers don't use indicators, stop wherever and when ever they like and never give an inch........oh wait a minute ;-)

heretoday
15-03-2017, 05:05 PM
From the rugby ground , turn right, walk past the big Sainsburys to Gorgie Road, get a No 1 into town, throw things out of the window at the unfortunate folk on the pavements and the bus will deposit you in Easter Road by and by.

.Sean.
15-03-2017, 05:33 PM
Leave the rugby early and you could probs brisk walk it in just under an hour I reckon which would save arsing about with painfully slow public transport.

Albanian Hibs
15-03-2017, 05:35 PM

Here we go again...🙄

hibee62
15-03-2017, 06:48 PM
Another option is to walk to Roseburn Terrace and get a 26 bus, there's one about every 7 or 8 minutes, then get off the top of Easter Road.

They close roseburn terrace after the rugby so the crowd can get to haymarket so no 26s im afraid.

Carheenlea
15-03-2017, 08:24 PM
Leave the rugby early and you could probs brisk walk it in just under an hour I reckon which would save arsing about with painfully slow public transport.

After the last Derby I walked from Tynecastle to east end of George Street in about 25 minutes. Quickest way out of Murrayfield will be on foot to city centre, then if walking the rest of way doesn't appeal, then taxi or bus from there should present no problems.

KingFranck
15-03-2017, 09:32 PM
Just leave the rugby at half time get a tram then taxi the footy is far more important than the egg chasing 😄

Hibby Bairn
15-03-2017, 09:44 PM
Walk to Haymarket. Train to Waverley. Walk to ER. Easy.

Danderhall Hibs
15-03-2017, 09:47 PM

:hilarious

Danderhall Hibs
15-03-2017, 09:50 PM

My brother in law's a black cab driver and he doesn't understand English.

Nakedmanoncrack
16-03-2017, 12:03 PM
My brother in law's a black cab driver and he doesn't understand English.

What relevance is his race ? ;-)

sleeping giant
16-03-2017, 12:28 PM

:greengrin

Danderhall Hibs
16-03-2017, 12:44 PM

I never mentioned his race - just the colour of his skin. :greengrin

we are hibs
16-03-2017, 01:20 PM

On the topic of this, where will buses be rerouted too when this happens? I take it they'd go up George street then cut back onto princes street then back towards the north. Bridge?

BigKev
16-03-2017, 01:23 PM
On the topic of this, where will buses be rerouted too when this happens? I take it they'd go up George street then cut back onto princes street then back towards the north. Bridge?

Buses from/to the Bridges will be via Waterloo Place & Abbeyhill with the rest going via Queen Street & St Andrew Square.

lord bunberry
16-03-2017, 02:33 PM
Christ. My last Uber driver spoke perfect English having lived here all his life. He also got me out to the Airport for £10 cheaper than a standard black cab usually does so all in all I was delighted and he got 5 stars from me :)

Pish. £10 cheaper would make it less than half price. The driver would then have to give uber 25% meaning he was taking you to the airport for around £5 when you take into account the drop off charge.
People are free to use whatever service they like, but let's not make up things to back the side you prefer.

Disc O'Dave
16-03-2017, 02:48 PM
Buses from/to the Bridges will be via Waterloo Place & Abbeyhill with the rest going via Queen Street & St Andrew Square.

There's a proposal to set up a "Gyratory" at the top of Easter Road, which looks like it would essentially make the triangular block bounded by Montrose Terrace, the top section of Easter Road, and London Road a roundabout....

FastEddieFelson
16-03-2017, 03:01 PM
Pish. £10 cheaper would make it less than half price. The driver would then have to give uber 25% meaning he was taking you to the airport for around £5 when you take into account the drop off charge.
People are free to use whatever service they like, but let's not make up things to back the side you prefer.

surely it depends on where capitalgreen was travelling from? unless i've missed that.

not that i am defending uber - i've never used them. central taxis all the way...

CapitalGreen
16-03-2017, 03:34 PM

Pish? You don't even know where the journey started.

In regards to making stuff up, you've managed to calculate how much my driver made by only knowing the final destination of the journey 😂

lord bunberry
16-03-2017, 06:36 PM
Pish? You don't even know where the journey started.

In regards to making stuff up, you've managed to calculate how much my driver made by only knowing the final destination of the journey 😂

Tell us where the journey started then. Surely it's only relevant to the fare you paid in relation to a black cab if it was from Edinburgh.

Soldiersteve
16-03-2017, 07:42 PM
:wink:
:flag::flag:

16-03-2017, 08:04 PM
Stay to the end of the rugby then jog to ER...or skateboard.

Mantis Toboggan
16-03-2017, 10:54 PM
As someone else said you would get there n no time on a bike, just go straight down the old railway path and come out at mcdonald road.

Kavinho
17-03-2017, 08:20 AM
worth having the Edinburgh bus tracker app on your phone to time your exit to the next scheduled tram or bus.

nothing more frustrating then racing to a stop to be hit with a 10 min wait for the next one to trundle along

Bristolhibby
17-03-2017, 09:40 AM
worth having the Edinburgh bus tracker app on your phone to time your exit to the next scheduled tram or bus.

nothing more frustrating then racing to a stop to be hit with a 10 min wait for the next one to trundle along

I've downloaded it. I'm well impressed with it BTW. Been having a play about, chucking in different destinations and times.

J

bod
17-03-2017, 10:05 AM
I've downloaded it. I'm well impressed with it BTW. Been having a play about, chucking in different destinations and times.

J

if only the busses were as good as the app

heretoday
17-03-2017, 02:43 PM
if only the buses were as good as the app

The Traveline Scotland app is best I reckon. It has all buses not just Lothian buses.

Bristolhibby
18-03-2017, 08:21 AM
Phase one done. Just landed in Edina.

J

ColinNish
18-03-2017, 02:07 PM
22-0. With 15 mins left to play
Get your arse down to ER. :greengrin

cabbageandribs1875
18-03-2017, 02:29 PM
well, scotland have done their bit, 29-Duck egg....now up to hibs :flag:

H113EE5
18-03-2017, 02:36 PM
well, scotland have done their bit, 29-Duck egg....now up to hibs :flag:

On the way... on the tram. As one. GGTTH

cabbageandribs1875
18-03-2017, 02:39 PM
:music:i'm on my way...from murrayfield to easter road todaaaay:music:, on the tram. As one. GGTTH

slight edit :greengrin