PDA

View Full Version : (NHC) Lukaku greed?

JackLadd
14-03-2017, 06:08 PM
£140k a week five year deal snubbed at toffees. Sums up why I'm not that interested in EPL anymore. Too many foreign mercs like this guy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39273691

Itsnoteasy
14-03-2017, 06:13 PM
To many British ones 2. Rooney & co

Onceinawhile
14-03-2017, 06:13 PM
£140k a week five year deal snubbed at toffees. Sums up why I'm not that interested in EPL anymore. Too many foreign mercs like this guy.

He's rejected it because he isn't happy that Everton want a 90m buy out clause. Not because the wages aren't high enough.

Onceinawhile
14-03-2017, 06:14 PM
To many British ones 2. Rooney & co

Nah mate. It's just the foreigns.

No good proper British player would do that.

superfurryhibby
14-03-2017, 06:16 PM

Are you serious?

Onceinawhile
14-03-2017, 06:18 PM
Are you serious?

No. Quite the opposite.

Bishop Hibee
14-03-2017, 06:19 PM
Nothing against the Toffees but he wants to go somewhere he'll win medals as well as earning a packet. As for English players being less money grabbing than 'foreigners', rubbish.

Winston Ingram
14-03-2017, 06:22 PM

Why do you say greed?

I would say he knows he's going to win bolt all with Everton and wants to go somewhere where he will. He's already given them 4 years and is 24 in a month or so. Nows the time to move.

Knowing his agent, he's likely got Europes top clubs already lined up.

MrRobot
14-03-2017, 06:43 PM
It's the release clause, not greed.

Hibee87
14-03-2017, 06:55 PM
He has the potential to play for a top top club and win trophies. If I was to pick an English team to support it would Everton but I'm not suprised he rejected it. Will leave for a tidy sum in the summer

Viva_Palmeiras
14-03-2017, 07:03 PM
No matter where in the world follow the money and you'll see some pretty distasteful behaviour just seems to attract the wrong sorts here and there.

18Hibee75
14-03-2017, 07:04 PM

Raheem Sterling.

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

Baw187
14-03-2017, 07:29 PM
I am also in the camp that thinks this is simply ambition. He could get in to any PL team not to mention a few top European clubs. He's not going to stay at Everton especially when they are putting clauses in that would put suitors off.

Unlikely to happen but would love him at Liverpool.

snooky
14-03-2017, 07:37 PM
I'll play for £30k p.a and I'm not bothered about winning trophies or sell on clauses.
Come and get me Everton. :taxi

Ozyhibby
14-03-2017, 07:39 PM
When you talk about greed at Everton I think about all the money they take in year after year, hundreds of millions of pounds, and yet still house their fans in an old wooden stand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jgl07
14-03-2017, 07:40 PM
Raheem Sterling.

Who left Liverpool to win trophies for much the same reason as Lukaku wants to leave Everton.

Why did John McGinn leave St Mirren? Why did Luis Suarez leave Liverpool? Why did Cristiano Renaldo leave Manchester United? Why did Scott Brown leave Hibs?

Players want to better themselves and play to their full potential. I know that some (delusional) Liverpool fans believe they are the biggest club on the planet and that no-one would ever want to leave them other than 'greed' but it isn't bourne out by the facts or their record over the past ten years.

Liverpool have one of the best coaches in the world but they will not win anything major as long as the transfer committee and the 'moneyball' transfer policy operates.

American owners are bad news for football clubs. Manchester United, Liverpool, and Arsenal provide proof of this.

JackLadd
14-03-2017, 07:44 PM
Sterling is a bandit surely, much like cAshley Cole was?

Lukaku is probably going to replace Costa at Chelsea, another man who wants trophies but can't wait to cash out in China. It's all about CL and trophies see.

Is It On....
14-03-2017, 07:51 PM

3 months of those wages is what we were offered for JC 🙄

JackLadd
14-03-2017, 07:56 PM
On British players all being as bad. You look at Harry Kane, who in my view is possibly better than Lukaku but on a fraction of the 140k a week Lukaku just snubbed, but happy to stay at Tottenham and signed a new deal last season. Maybe Tottenham are a better side that Everton you can argue. London glamour and all that.

Onceinawhile
14-03-2017, 08:01 PM
Harry Kane is not better than lukaku. He's also on c. 100,000 a week which isn't exactly "a fraction" of what lukaku turned down fgs.

JackLadd
14-03-2017, 08:07 PM
Harry Kane is not better than lukaku. He's also on c. 100,000 a week which isn't exactly "a fraction" of what lukaku turned down fgs.

Kane's 100 mins a goal compared to Lukaku's 125 mins, both epl 19 goals.

I see Kane signed an improved deal in December to 100k. The most Tottenham will pay any player.

Slavoj Zizek
14-03-2017, 09:29 PM
It sums up a talented individual in a time-limited occupation wanting the best deal for themselves and their family . One would presume if a new flash employer offered even a £1k increase per month on our wages we would all refuse, because, principles... :rolleyes: Cancel Sky read Marx

heretoday
14-03-2017, 09:56 PM
Lukaku is a beast of a player. He doesn't do much a lot of the time but if he gets to run at a defence they can't handle him. I can see him succeeding Costa at Chelsea but not fitting in at Barca or Real.

blackpoolhibs
15-03-2017, 06:25 AM
It appears there is a ceiling here on wages that players should accept, that overrides ambition?

I think thats bollox, if i was offered £180k a week to play at Everton, or £180k a week to play for Man U or Arsenal or Spurs or any of the big clubs in Spain, i'd not sign on again for Everton without a get out clause.

The game has changed way more than we could ever imagine, and money while obviously a big issue, is not now the main factor in whether players sign new contracts in England.

Who apart from local lads would sign another contract for the likes of Everton or Liverpool if they could get the same money but play for a team that could win trophies?

Jim44
15-03-2017, 07:16 AM
I'll play for £30k p.a and I'm not bothered about winning trophies or sell on clauses.

Ambitionless cheapskate. :greengrin

jacomo
15-03-2017, 07:22 AM
It appears there is a ceiling here on wages that players should accept, that overrides ambition?

I think thats bollox, if i was offered £180k a week to play at Everton, or £180k a week to play for Man U or Arsenal or Spurs or any of the big clubs in Spain, i'd not sign on again for Everton without a get out clause.

The game has changed way more than we could ever imagine, and money while obviously a big issue, is not now the main factor in whether players sign new contracts in England.

Who apart from local lads would sign another contract for the likes of Everton or Liverpool if they could get the same money but play for a team that could win trophies?

True, but the irony is that Everton might now be able to compete for trophies for the first time in a long time.

But of course they need to hold onto their best players to do that.

Mind you, if Koeman gets offered the Barca job he will be off too.

JDHibs
15-03-2017, 08:34 AM
Hes a brilliant young international striker who wants to showcase what he has on the biggest stage, i.e, the Champions league. Hes stated this countless times.

Also, hes rejected it because Everton want to put a ridiculous buy out clause in his contract.

Why do people look at something and always interpret it as a negative? Footballers dont have long careers, he wants to be at the top, he has ambitions and he wants to make good money whilst he does it. Hows it greed? How much money would he make say Man Utd if he goes there and helps win them the title next year? He would be PRICELESS.

CallumLaidlaw
15-03-2017, 08:59 AM
When you talk about greed at Everton I think about all the money they take in year after year, hundreds of millions of pounds, and yet still house their fans in an old wooden stand.

You do realise Everton are working hard to get a new stadium agreed and built?

Dan Sarf
15-03-2017, 09:21 AM

I'll play for £25k pa with a sell-on clause of ten shillings. And I'll wash the shirts. Take it or leave it.

High-On-Hibs
15-03-2017, 09:39 AM

Too many British mercs who will soon be foreign up here.

dazwol
15-03-2017, 09:59 AM

As an English Everton fan, I can tell you categorically, that you clearly haven't a clue about Everton Football Club.

snooky
15-03-2017, 10:14 AM
Ambitionless cheapskate. :greengrin

Nailed me in one :wink:

snooky
15-03-2017, 10:16 AM
I'll play for £25k pa with a sell-on clause of ten shillings. And I'll wash the shirts. Take it or leave it.

:faf: This could end up like the 4 Yorkshireman sketch.

15-03-2017, 10:22 AM
Don't know if its greed or if he just wants to go to a club more likely to be winning trophies but either way I hope he doesn't **** stir and cause Everton problems. They've made him what he is so it will be highly disrespectful to the club and the fans if he suddenly gives it the whole "i'm way to good for you now" billy big baws act. The agent will no doubt be pulling all the strings and as per usual wont give a **** about the club or the fans, he'll just be there trying to milk as much cash out of it as possible.

15-03-2017, 10:25 AM
Too many British mercs who will soon be foreign up here.

Agree. Sterling, Rooney etc all players who spat the dummy out and threw a tantrum when they wanted more money. Rooney in particular basically held Utd to ransom.

Way way to much greed down south. Some players need to live in the real world.

J-C
15-03-2017, 10:38 AM
Listening to Talksport this morning and they were saying Everton are not overly worried about it as he still has 2.5 years left on his deal, this new deal was to show appreciation for his work and attitude this past 2 years. Also mentioned was he's a mate of Pogba and has the same agent, Ibrahimovic might not be staying at Man U and maybe a move there is likely with Ronney going in the opposite direction back to Everton.

Ryan69
16-03-2017, 03:42 AM
Who left Liverpool to win trophies for much the same reason as Lukaku wants to leave Everton.

Why did John McGinn leave St Mirren? Why did Luis Suarez leave Liverpool? Why did Cristiano Renaldo leave Manchester United? Why did Scott Brown leave Hibs?

Players want to better themselves and play to their full potential. I know that some (delusional) Liverpool fans believe they are the biggest club on the planet and that no-one would ever want to leave them other than 'greed' but it isn't bourne out by the facts or their record over the past ten years.

Liverpool have one of the best coaches in the world but they will not win anything major as long as the transfer committee and the 'moneyball' transfer policy operates.

American owners are bad news for football clubs. Manchester United, Liverpool, and Arsenal provide proof of this.

There are many better coaches in the world than Kloppe!

Been a massive failure so far at Liverpool.

In his last season at Dortmund....He was not far from getting them relegated.

heretoday
16-03-2017, 09:04 AM
Lukaku should keep his mouth firmly shut. Everton fans are well aware of the situation and don't need reminding in the public prints.

If he keeps playing well, all the riches of Croesus are going to fall into his lap - if they haven't already - so get on with your job, lad.

Winston Ingram
17-03-2017, 07:55 AM
Agree. Sterling, Rooney etc all players who spat the dummy out and threw a tantrum when they wanted more money. Rooney in particular basically held Utd to ransom.

Way way to much greed down south. Some players need to live in the real world.

Sterling gets a lot more grief than he deserves over this, mainly due to the number of ex-Liverpool players in media.

Liverpool, who are supposedly one of the biggest clubs in the world tried to rip this piss out of him.

In May 2012 when he was 17 and he broke into the team. In December of that year, he signed a new deal. He played 37 games that season. The following year when he played up front with Suarez and Sturridge and was absolutely outstanding and in a team that nearly won the title and yet there was no offer of a pay increase. He was on £35k a week (admittedly not a pitance) he was a key player and on a fraction of what everyone of the other regular starters were was on.

Eventually, in the December of the following season he got offered a deal which was described as a great deal for someone of his age but still pretty much nowhere near what the rest of the starters at Anfield were getting. He said himself that if he was offered a deal at the start of that season he would have signed it but the fact it took them another 6 months and then to come back and patronise him by offering him a reduced deal because he was so young, you can see why he told him to ram it.

His agent wasn't daft. While Liverpool were taking the piss, he was off scouting out other offers and got more than double what Liverpool offered.

CallumLaidlaw
17-03-2017, 08:27 AM

I am far from a Liverpool fan, but I do like Klopp. To say he nearly got Dortmund relegated is a bit of a stretch - they finished 7th and got to the cup final. After finishing 5th and 6th in his first two seasons, they then finished 1st, 1st, 2nd, 2nd while having all their top top players poached, mainly by their biggest rivals.

Winston Ingram
17-03-2017, 09:02 AM
I am far from a Liverpool fan, but I do like Klopp. To say he nearly got Dortmund relegated is a bit of a stretch - they finished 7th and got to the cup final. After finishing 5th and 6th in his first two seasons, they then finished 1st, 1st, 2nd, 2nd while having all their top top players poached, mainly by their biggest rivals.

Tbf, the only player he really lost was Gotze from the league positions listed above. When he lost Lewandowski they dropped all the way down to 7th.

CapitalGreen
17-03-2017, 09:14 AM
Tbf, the only player he really lost was Gotze from the league positions listed above. When he lost Lewandowski they dropped all the way down to 7th.

Shinji Kagawa and Nuri Sahin too.

BoomtownHibees
17-03-2017, 09:51 AM
As an English Everton fan, I can tell you categorically, that you clearly haven't a clue about Everton Football Club.

What bit wasn't true?

dazwol
17-03-2017, 10:20 AM
What bit wasn't true?

To claim greed because of the apparent load of money coming in!
Everton until 6 month ago had huge huge debts, several big loans and overdrafts which had been brought forward and constantly consolidated with new loans since the 90’s. Up until this season we were one of very few teams with a practical ZERO net spend in the previous 10 seasons. We even went 2 years without purchasing a player because we couldn’t afford it.
The millions which we have sold some players for went partly on other players, partly against debt and some on costs to try and keep our current ground standing.

Our board sold our training complex to the council to rent back at a high premium and still do so now, because money was needed just to keep afloat. There have been many many terrible commercial deals which were taken in desperation due to these debts.
In terms of the ground, Everton have had 3 failed moves, due to Money. Most notably the original plan to build a stadium on Liverpool docks, which fell through because Everton couldn’t afford the £30mil….yes £30 mil to build it….whats on that site now? The Echo Arena!
However now, our new Majority Shareholder has cleared those debts (all be it an interest free ‘loan’ with no terms or date to repay), brought in a manager with teeth, provided some funding and is now on the cusp of securing a dockside stadium further down the road from the original. (All in under 12 months compared to the 20 odd years our chairman had).

Hopefully you can now see my point

BoomtownHibees
17-03-2017, 10:21 AM
To claim greed because of the apparent load of money coming in!
Everton until 6 month ago had huge huge debts, several big loans and overdrafts which had been brought forward and constantly consolidated with new loans since the 90’s. Up until this season we were one of very few teams with a practical ZERO net spend in the previous 10 seasons. We even went 2 years without purchasing a player because we couldn’t afford it.
The millions which we have sold some players for went partly on other players, partly against debt and some on costs to try and keep our current ground standing.

Our board sold our training complex to the council to rent back at a high premium and still do so now, because money was needed just to keep afloat. There have been many many terrible commercial deals which were taken in desperation due to these debts.
In terms of the ground, Everton have had 3 failed moves, due to Money. Most notably the original plan to build a stadium on Liverpool docks, which fell through because Everton couldn’t afford the £30mil….yes £30 mil to build it….whats on that site now? The Echo Arena!
However now, our new Majority Shareholder has cleared those debts (all be it an interest free ‘loan’ with no terms or date to repay), brought in a manager with teeth, provided some funding and is now on the cusp of securing a dockside stadium further down the road from the original. (All in under 12 months compared to the 20 odd years our chairman had).

Hopefully you can now see my point

What caused the debt?

dazwol
17-03-2017, 10:28 AM
What caused the debt?

Many things really. Mainly our Chairman at the time Peter Johnson (A Liverpool fan by birth) throwing stupid money and wages (not out of his own pocket) at things the club couldn’t afford in his relatively short tenure. So Kenwright put a consortium together to take over so the club wouldn’t be completely crippled. He did what he could, but also had his own shortcomings, and was happy to sit back with people in the background who couldn’t do their job and he also made many bad decisions.

BoomtownHibees
17-03-2017, 10:30 AM
Many things really. Mainly our Chairman at the time Peter Johnson (A Liverpool fan by birth) throwing stupid money and wages (not out of his own pocket) at things the club couldn’t afford in his relatively short tenure. So Kenwright put a consortium together to take over so the club wouldn’t be completely crippled. He did what he could, but also had his own shortcomings, and was happy to sit back with people in the background who couldn’t do their job and he also made many bad decisions.

Fair do's

dazwol
17-03-2017, 10:32 AM

From an Everton fan, I probably have to say that last bit was a bit far fetched. Although I do think he’s not exactly setting the world alight at Liverpool after a very good start this season.

I think the rest of this season and the start of next will show his actual qualities and provide his test to show whether he is actually one of the worlds biggest coaches.

This doesn’t take away from the fact a ******ing hate the coverage this man gets from Sky because he jumps up and down on the side and looks like Steven Hawking on Crack.

dazwol
17-03-2017, 10:43 AM
Oh and before I shut up....everntually...haha

My respect from Lukaku has grown 10 fold. Depsite what the media would have you believe, he hasn't once said, I want to leave or I am leaving. He has merely said he wants Everton to be better, he does his bit on the pitch and wants the board to do their bit off it.

The guy is amitious and wants CL, Id rather this than have players who arent arsed about it and all about the pay packet. What he said in his interview is nothing that fans haven't been saying for years and its about time a top player had the balls to come out and challenge them. I suspect Koeman (deposit his words in the subsequent press conference) knew a little more about this than he let on, as he before has made hints he needs the board to work better.

P.S.....I am more than happy to talk about Hibs from now on, seeing as its a Hibs forum! haha :flag:

ekhibee
17-03-2017, 09:42 PM
Oh and before I shut up....everntually...haha

My respect from Lukaku has grown 10 fold. Depsite what the media would have you believe, he hasn't once said, I want to leave or I am leaving. He has merely said he wants Everton to be better, he does his bit on the pitch and wants the board to do their bit off it.

The guy is amitious and wants CL, Id rather this than have players who arent arsed about it and all about the pay packet. What he said in his interview is nothing that fans haven't been saying for years and its about time a top player had the balls to come out and challenge them. I suspect Koeman (deposit his words in the subsequent press conference) knew a little more about this than he let on, as he before has made hints he needs the board to work better.

P.S.....I am more than happy to talk about Hibs from now on, seeing as its a Hibs forum! haha :flag:
Just out of curiosity, why do you think Koeman went to Everton in the first place? Southampton were and are doing well, have an excellent scouting system, are well run financially and operate a youth academy that's second to none. They've made a lot of money from bringing a lot of these players through as well. Everton's financial limitations are quite well known, I just wondered why he thought they were a more attractive proposition. Apologies, I know you're an Evertonian, I seriously just wondered if you knew what his reasoning behind it was.

blackpoolhibs
18-03-2017, 06:24 AM
Just out of curiosity, why do you think Koeman went to Everton in the first place? Southampton were and are doing well, have an excellent scouting system, are well run financially and operate a youth academy that's second to none. They've made a lot of money from bringing a lot of these players through as well. Everton's financial limitations are quite well known, I just wondered why he thought they were a more attractive proposition. Apologies, I know you're an Evertonian, I seriously just wondered if you knew what his reasoning behind it was.

We all know the answer to that, ambition. He went to Everton because they have more potential, and he'd be off like a shot from a gun if Arsenal wanted him this summer.

And if the Barca job came up the season after he'd be off for that too.

Everton are stepping stone for him, and unless someone comes in and puts the type of money needed so they can compete with Arsenal/Chelsea/ManU/ManC, this will always be the case.

where'stheslope
18-03-2017, 10:21 AM
Sterling gets a lot more grief than he deserves over this, mainly due to the number of ex-Liverpool players in media.

Liverpool, who are supposedly one of the biggest clubs in the world tried to rip this piss out of him.

In May 2012 when he was 17 and he broke into the team. In December of that year, he signed a new deal. He played 37 games that season. The following year when he played up front with Suarez and Sturridge and was absolutely outstanding and in a team that nearly won the title and yet there was no offer of a pay increase. He was on £35k a week (admittedly not a pitance) he was a key player and on a fraction of what everyone of the other regular starters were was on.

Eventually, in the December of the following season he got offered a deal which was described as a great deal for someone of his age but still pretty much nowhere near what the rest of the starters at Anfield were getting. He said himself that if he was offered a deal at the start of that season he would have signed it but the fact it took them another 6 months and then to come back and patronise him by offering him a reduced deal because he was so young, you can see why he told him to ram it.

His agent wasn't daft. While Liverpool were taking the piss, he was off scouting out other offers and got more than double what Liverpool offered.
WOOOOSH!!!

Do you not realise what you are writing?

£35k a week for a 17/18 year old player who is still serving his apprenticeship?

These sort of statements are why the world is now upside down and inside out!

At that rate he would have earned more in one year than I have in my lifetime?

Although I'm only an Engineer, I still provide a product that helps make the world work, what does a footballer produce, other than hype and social grandeur that only equates to entertainment!!!!

Ryan69
18-03-2017, 10:53 AM

In the last 10 or so games in that season...they pretty much won them all.
But they were flirting with the battle zone most of the season