PDA

View Full Version : Oriam and developement team

NAE NOOKIE
14-03-2017, 05:01 PM
I'm a wee bit confused as to why our development team play all their home games at Oriam ..... we paid 5 million quid for a state of the art training complex which I imagine costs a fair bit to run as well. I presume we have to pay to use Oriam, but why on earth do so when we must have perfectly acceptable pitches and dressing rooms at East mains ... I wouldn't imagine the number of spectators who go to watch the development team covers whatever we pay to use the indoor facility.

And that's the other thing, 90% of games the kids will end up playing in if they make it to the first team will be on grass and 100% of them will be outdoors ..... in view of that what's the point of them playing at least 50% of their games on artificial turf and with none of the adverse weather conditions or for the most part difficult pitches they will have to face in 'real life'

I appreciate that an indoor artificial pitch allows near perfect conditions for certain skills of the game to be honed .... but what it doesn't do is prepare a centre half for dealing not only with a couple of strikers, but also a 20mph wind ... what it doesn't do is help a forward player or midfielder develop the skills gained through experience to run with the ball on a pitch with all the smoothness of a cheese grater. It surely doesn't help a budding keeper to deal with variable bounce or wind assisted shots either.

I'm no expert in sport science or psychology and I've never coached in my life .... but I do know that an athlete who is going to compete in the Olympics at altitude or in extreme heat will spend about 6 months training in that environment to prepare for the conditions he is going to face.

Just a thought

BoomtownHibees
14-03-2017, 05:04 PM
I'm a wee bit confused as to why our development team play all their home games at Oriam ..... we paid 5 million quid for a state of the art training complex which I imagine costs a fair bit to run as well. I presume we have to pay to use Oriam, but why on earth do so when we must have perfectly acceptable pitches and dressing rooms at East mains ... I wouldn't imagine the number of spectators who go to watch the development team covers whatever we pay to use the indoor facility.

And that's the other thing, 90% of games the kids will end up playing in if they make it to the first team will be on grass and 100% of them will be outdoors ..... in view of that what's the point of them playing at least 50% of their games on artificial turf and with none of the adverse weather conditions or for the most part difficult pitches they will have to face in 'real life'

I appreciate that an indoor artificial pitch allows near perfect conditions for certain skills of the game to be honed .... but what it doesn't do is prepare a centre half for dealing not only with a couple of strikers, but also a 20mph wind ... what it doesn't do is help a forward player or midfielder develop the skills gained through experience to run with the ball on a pitch with all the smoothness of a cheese grater. It surely doesn't help a budding keeper to deal with variable bounce or wind assisted shots either.

I'm no expert in sport science or psychology and I've never coached in my life .... but I do know that an athlete who is going to compete in the Olympics at altitude or in extreme heat will spend about 6 months training in that environment to prepare for the conditions he is going to face.

Just a thought

Just on your first point, I'm sure development games need to play somewhere with a "stand". I may be wrong though

Ozyhibby
14-03-2017, 05:05 PM
Just on your first point, I'm sure development games need to play somewhere with a "stand". I may be wrong though

That's true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nakedmanoncrack
14-03-2017, 05:08 PM
That's true.

I'm sure we've played at least one development game at East mains this season.

And definitely played a few on the outside pitch at Oriam which doesn't have any seats so the stand argument is a myth.

offshorehibby
14-03-2017, 05:19 PM
Is it not cup games that need to be played in front of a stand, there's something in the back of my head.

Slim Shady
14-03-2017, 05:25 PM

And definitely played a few on the outside pitch at Oriam which doesn't have any seats so the stand argument is a myth.

Played against the Zombies at HTC

bob12345
14-03-2017, 05:28 PM
90% of development league games are played in grounds with a stand. Perhaps you need dispensation to have it without and couldn't nominate a primary pitch that doesn't have?

worcesterhibby
14-03-2017, 05:29 PM
On your second point I guess it all depends on whether there is a development plan in place where young footballers first have a passing game ingrained in them by playing on a perfect surface and then get loaned out to lower league clubs to learn about the physical side of both players and pitches. If that is the strategy then I think it has some merit. Playing on crap, muddy pitches, just encourages young players to hoof the ball, which won't improve the standard of Scottish football, but you are right that players need to be hardened to the physicality of the Scottish game and the standard of some of the pitches/conditions. Almost all of our young up and coming players who get near to breaking through are loaned out to be "toughened up" so I believe that Hibs do have a good strategy in place.

LithgaeHibby
14-03-2017, 05:30 PM
Speaking of Oriam, I was taking my son to a game there on Sunday. Pretty impressive facilities, but what sticks in the craw is how that lot shafted Heriot-Watt Uni for £146k and still get to train there. Can only guess the HWU Principal is a Yam. By rights they should have been huckled out of there and made to train on a public park with dug s**** and broken glass.

Nakedmanoncrack
14-03-2017, 05:38 PM
Disappointing to find that the Oriam 'bistro' now closes at 3.30 so no tasty half time snacks

Billy Whizz
14-03-2017, 07:22 PM
Disappointing to find that the Oriam 'bistro' now closes at 3.30 so no tasty half time snacks

They stayed open until 5pm or so at the Aberdeen game 2 weeks ago, like you I was disappointed they closed earlier today, and a missed revenue opportunity

Dashing Bob S
14-03-2017, 07:37 PM
What is Oriam, and where? It sounds like some sort of star in a neighboring galaxy.

BullsCloseHibs
14-03-2017, 08:01 PM
What is Oriam, and where? It sounds like some sort of star in a neighboring galaxy.

They are now advertising on LRT buses for their gym.

Will end up the new Meadowbank

Hibby Bairn
14-03-2017, 10:05 PM
They are now advertising on LRT buses for their gym.

Will end up the new Meadowbank

You could be right there. £33m cost I believe and whilst a brilliant facility it is a bit out of the way for regular custom.

Billy Whizz
14-03-2017, 10:40 PM
You could be right there. £33m cost I believe and whilst a brilliant facility it is a bit out of the way for regular custom.

Most people would say the same about East Mains

Monktonhall 7
14-03-2017, 10:49 PM
In answer to the question, why do we play there? I heard it's a little bit of gamesmanship from us to let everybody know it's a public facility that can be hired by anyone, and is definitely not there's!

silverhibee
14-03-2017, 11:16 PM
In answer to the question, why do we play there? I heard it's a little bit of gamesmanship from us to let everybody know it's a public facility that can be hired by anyone, and is definitely not there's!

There is a number of lower league clubs that use it through the week at night time for training.

cammy1969
15-03-2017, 05:12 AM
Bit off topic bit I think every youngster that's not gona play in 1st team should be out on loan @ 18 and over. Playing against men and play the younger kids in development game they all need to be playing against bigger and older players. Imo that's been a big part to players no making the step up to 1st team it's to big a step for most and we can't give them time to adjust

The goalie
15-03-2017, 08:48 AM

The SFA pay clubs money to have games at grounds that meet a certain criteria, if they play at their own stadium the amount is higher, if they choose to play elsewhere it is lower (but they still get dosh) East mainds does not meet that criteria for these games so no payment is made. Hibs dont want to play at ER so they used to pay Spartans money to rent their place and this was offset with the money they got from the SFA. The oriam is a better deal for them and they know the game will always be on.

Lots of development games are played on astro and i know a number of players hate it because of the affect it has on them long term and the number of non impact injuries after playing on these pitches is massive.
It seems however to be the way things are going in football.

Mainstandman
15-03-2017, 10:02 AM

Played rangers at east mains this year

Tamhere1875
15-03-2017, 10:16 AM
Allowed to play x anmout of games away from the nominated place