PDA

View Full Version : Maywether vs McGregor

Hibee87
13-03-2017, 10:21 PM
Is this really a thing? And if so what is it? A mma or a boxing matchl

Allant1981
14-03-2017, 12:07 PM
think it would be a boxing match, mayweather wouldnt want to ruin his reputation and if its mma then there is a big chance of that happening, not sure it will go ahead though

pontius pilate
14-03-2017, 06:57 PM
Mayweather has told mcgregor to sort out his issues with Dana Carter at ufc. Get the contract signed and get it in the ring its a boxing match

brianmc
14-03-2017, 07:57 PM
I don't really understand all the politics behind all the negotiations - but if they ever get it on my money is on Big Daz to knock Mayweather spark oot!!

Oooh oooh oooh Darren McGregor 🎶🎶🎶🎶

Onceinawhile
15-03-2017, 08:07 PM
Fingers crossed for a double ko.
Both of them are absolutely helmets.

Zazu62
19-03-2017, 03:35 PM
https://youtu.be/5LTjxJ5yYTI

Zazu62
19-03-2017, 03:38 PM
https://youtu.be/Geoubqr254c

calumhibee1
19-03-2017, 07:19 PM
Couldn't see McGregor landing a glove on him in a boxing match to be honest. Unless Mayweather has seriously regressed since retiring. It would be much more interesting if they had a boxing match using MMA gloves. A full on boxing match will be a stroll in the park for Mayweather, an MMA match would see Mayweather knocked out within seconds.

Pretty Boy
19-03-2017, 07:30 PM
Mayweather has beaten Pacquiao, Castillo, Cotto, Maidana, Marquez, De La Hoya, Alvarez, Guererro, Mosley, Hatton, Judah, Gatti, Chavez, Coralles, Hernandez.......in a boxing ring. Some of the best and/or toughest boxers of their generation.

Of that list about 2 got close to beating him. He is one of the best defensive technicians of all time and sits up there with the greats. His hand speed is electric, his footwork superb, his reflexes lightning fast, the only thing he lacks in later years is that KO power due to years of hand injuries.

Conor McGreggor is a good boxer by MMA standards but hasn't even been in a ring with a top 50 fighter never mind the best fighter of a generation. It's a mismatch and about nothing more than money. Unless Mayweather has regressed beyond all recognition in 18 months or so then it's an easy nights work for him.

Mikey
13-06-2017, 05:38 AM
MGM Grand booked for August 26th.......

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/boxing/mayweather-reserves-mgm-grand-on-aug-26-for-possible-bout-with-mcgregor/

Mikey
14-06-2017, 09:58 PM

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/boxing/mayweather-reserves-mgm-grand-on-aug-26-for-possible-bout-with-mcgregor/

Confirmed.

brianmc
14-06-2017, 10:11 PM
Bearing in mind I'm not an expert on either boxing or mma..

Is this "match" not the equivalent of me challenging Stephen Hawkings to an arm wrestle??

Obviously I'd gub him at it.
Perhaps it would be a closer thing if we were to debate a rip in the space-time continuum....

This is ultimately​ a pointless exercise which will only be paid for and viewed by gullible morons (Mayweather v McGregor, not me v Hawkings, obviously).

Unless they're using mma rules?

Nah, thought not.

Haymaker
14-06-2017, 10:21 PM
If this fight is even remotely entertaining then I'll be shocked.

An amateur (at boxing) fighting Mayweather?

brianmc
14-06-2017, 10:23 PM

Aye, apart from the squillions each of them will earn, it seems pointless..... Hmmm

Haymaker
14-06-2017, 10:31 PM
Aye, apart from the squillions each of them will earn, it seems pointless..... Hmmm

It'll be great for those two defo!

Mon Dieu4
14-06-2017, 10:45 PM

Is this "match" not the equivalent of me challenging Stephen Hawkings to an arm wrestle??

Perhaps it would be a closer thing if we were to debate a rip in the space-time continuum....

This is ultimately​ a pointless exercise which will only be paid for and viewed by gullible morons (Mayweather v McGregor, not me v Hawkings, obviously).

Nah, thought not.

I'd echo what pretty boy has said earlier in this thread, in straight boxing then McGregor wouldn't even be the best in Ireland little alone taking on the best boxer of a generation

The build up will be quality as they both have a mouth on them, McGregor has a good chin and may not get knocked out but he will be chasing shadows the whole time, I don't even think it will be over 12 rounds, would imagine 8 or 10

lord bunberry
15-06-2017, 12:44 AM
Freak show, designed to make the 2 of them loads of money. I'll probably watch it, but I certainly wouldn't pay to watch it.

Andy Bee
15-06-2017, 01:26 AM
Freak show, designed to make the 2 of them loads of money. I'll probably watch it, but I certainly wouldn't pay to watch it.

:greengrin when's the last time you did pay for PPV.

This is a strange one, boxing match and Mayweather wins no doubt and also ridicules McGregor to the point his stock hits rock bottom. MMA and it's a different story, could FM cope with being kicked, elbowed and wrestled to the ground, very doubtful. I don't think either would be willing to tarnish their record even for the £squillions this would obviously command. It's never gonna happen.

ColinNish
15-06-2017, 05:15 AM

This is a strange one, boxing match and Mayweather wins no doubt and also ridicules McGregor to the point his stock hits rock bottom. MMA and it's a different story, could FM cope with being kicked, elbowed and wrestled to the ground, very doubtful. I don't think either would be willing to tarnish their record even for the £squillions this would obviously command. It's never gonna happen.

Expect Maywether to win then McGregor to demand a rematch using MMA rules. You heard it hear first.

Pretty Boy
15-06-2017, 06:15 AM
Mayweather gets his 50-0 in about the least worthy way possible.

Farce of a fight.

Scouse Hibee
15-06-2017, 07:22 AM
Anyone daft enough to pay for this farce of a no contest will very quickly realise they have been conned.

lord bunberry
15-06-2017, 09:34 AM

The last time I paid was probably around the same time you did :greengrin
Has it been confirmed what sort of rules it's happening under? I can't see Mayweather agreeing to anything other than marquess of Queensberry rules.
Its Freddy v Jason or Alien v Preditor in a boxing ring.

Mikey
15-06-2017, 10:29 AM
Has it been confirmed what sort of rules it's happening under?

.......with oddsmakers immediately setting Mayweather as the huge 11/1 favourite in a fight that will take place in a boxing ring governed by boxing rules

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/general/boxing/floyd-mayweather-vs-conor-mcgregor-date-august-26-tickets-cost-ppv-television-watch-live-where-how-a7790781.html

lord bunberry
15-06-2017, 11:42 AM
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/general/boxing/floyd-mayweather-vs-conor-mcgregor-date-august-26-tickets-cost-ppv-television-watch-live-where-how-a7790781.html
Thanks. I thought that would be the case.

sleeping giant
15-06-2017, 11:47 AM
I'll be watching out of curiosity.
Obviously think that Mayweather will out box him and win but one punch can change a fight.

I think McGregor will last a few rounds. He's used to being hit hard and often.

Mayweather will be too savy for him though I think.

HibernianJK
15-06-2017, 12:00 PM
Mayweather 12 round landslide and not even close.

Whole thing is a shambles and this means Floyds last 3(?) fights to get to 50-0 have been against boxing bums.

Zazu62
15-06-2017, 12:12 PM
Mayweather 12 round landslide and not even close.

Whole thing is a shambles and this means Floyds last 3(?) fights to get to 50-0 have been against boxing bums.

Hardly bums. Berto .. Pacman .. Maidana I think

Mikey
15-06-2017, 12:42 PM

Now looks like it'll be at the new(ish) T-Mobile Arena across the road.

Mon Dieu4
15-06-2017, 12:57 PM
I'll be watching out of curiosity.
Obviously think that Mayweather will out box him and win but one punch can change a fight.

I think McGregor will last a few rounds. He's used to being hit hard and often.

Mayweather will be too savy for him though I think.

One punch can change a fight but if people think that McGregor hits harder than Canelo, Mosley, De La Hoya or Hatton then they are living in cloud cuckoo land

I can only remember Mayweather being rocked once in his career, think it was against Mosley if I remember correctly

hibs#1
15-06-2017, 02:15 PM
One punch can change a fight but if people think that McGregor hits harder than Canelo, Mosley, De La Hoya or Hatton then they are living in cloud cuckoo land

I can only remember Mayweather being rocked once in his career, think it was against Mosley if I remember correctly

Hatton hurt him bad did he not?

As for mayweather/McGregor nothing more than a publicity stunt.

I will say fare play to McGregor he has done incredibly well to make himself such a big brand now.

Onceinawhile
15-06-2017, 03:31 PM
Hopefully they both lose.

HibernianJK
15-06-2017, 09:07 PM
Hardly bums. Berto .. Pacman .. Maidana I think

Apologies I thought he'd had a couple of easier fights after Pacman no idea what I was thinking of.

makaveli1875
15-06-2017, 09:52 PM
Hope Mcgregor knocks him out but i reckon Mayweather could beat him with 1 hand tied behind his back

Mantis Toboggan
15-06-2017, 11:36 PM

Nah, thought not.

It's like a tennis champion playing a squash champion. At tennis.
There is only one outcome here.
I'll still watch it.
It's also more than a bit rich for certain boxing promoters to come out and say this is damaging to the credibility of boxing. They've collectively been chipping away at that for decades.

Dinkydoo
16-06-2017, 12:02 AM
People are writing off McGregor too much I think. Of course, in 6 months of boxing training he is not going to be able to out-box one of the best (if not the best) defensive boxer ever. It may take Money a couple of rounds to get used to his irregular style, and within these rounds, is when McGregor will be most likely to score an upset. I have no doubt that McGregor's Team will be going into this to NOT have a typical boxing match with Money, that'd be stupid....wouldn't it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Newry Hibs
16-06-2017, 11:51 AM
It's about as valid a contest as a WWE 'bout'.

With all the money being raised to pay these attention seekers, there is no way they will be allowed to have this done in the first couple of rounds.

Expect a long fight so that the punters don't feel cheated.

As alluded to earlier - Steve Bunce a while ago said Macgregor would get beat by Irelands top 100 boxers. Maybe a bit extreme, but he is very dismissive of this whole contest.

Allant1981
16-06-2017, 04:58 PM
whilst i think mayweather will win i dont think it will be as easy as some make out, mcgregor was the all ireland youth boxing champion so he has some pedigree, he is also a big puncher as most mma fans will have seen

Scouse Hibee
17-06-2017, 09:45 PM
whilst i think mayweather will win i dont think it will be as easy as some make out, mcgregor was the all ireland youth boxing champion so he has some pedigree, he is also a big puncher as most mma fans will have seen

It's a nonsense contest and complete mismatch.

lord bunberry
17-06-2017, 10:40 PM
Of course it is. We're talking about possibly one of the best boxers of all time against a former all Ireland champion. Let's be honest we're all going to watch it just in case :greengrin

Allant1981
18-06-2017, 05:54 AM

again i think mayweather will win but i personally dont think it will be as easy as some make out, mayweather is the better boxer by miles but mcgregor can take a punch and can throw a good punch so will have a small chance

sleeping giant
18-06-2017, 03:51 PM
again i think mayweather will win but i personally dont think it will be as easy as some make out, mayweather is the better boxer by miles but mcgregor can take a punch and can throw a good punch so will have a small chance

I agree.
He is used to being punched hard in the face. He will be able to take a shot while having a go himself. He can also take hefty body shots .
I still think Mayweather will win but I do think McGregor will have a moment where something could happen.
I think he will just go all out from the off and try to rattle Mayweather.

blackpoolhibs
18-06-2017, 09:35 PM

The undercard has just been announced. :greengrin

HibernianJK
19-06-2017, 11:26 AM
I agree.
He is used to being punched hard in the face. He will be able to take a shot while having a go himself. He can also take hefty body shots .
I still think Mayweather will win but I do think McGregor will have a moment where something could happen.
I think he will just go all out from the off and try to rattle Mayweather.

Mayweather hasn't been about power punching for a few years though. I don't think he will KO Mcgregor but it will be a landslide points victory.

Mikey
27-06-2017, 08:58 PM
Tickets are now on sale. The only ones available at the moment include an all you can eat buffet and 3 hours of "free" bar starting at $3137.50. If you want to be close to the ring (but not ringside) you're looking at $20,125.00.

Plus tax and booking fee :wink:

hibsbollah
27-06-2017, 09:32 PM

The undercard has just been announced. :greengrin

Mary Berry :faf:

Pretty Boy
27-06-2017, 09:48 PM
I've watched some of CMs training online and whilst he is obviously only showing what he wants us to see I really hope he isn't going to try and adopt the counter punching approach he seems to be in training. He will get seriously hurt if he does.

The only way he might upset Floyd is if he adopts the Castillo or Maidana approach of relentless pressure. Hit biceps, forearms, shoulders and hope the odd scoring punch slips through. Even then I just can't see him doing anything. I think it could be a bit like Mayweathers fight with Gatti. A fighter in against a boxer and can see a similar outcome, one guy taking a total beating until his corner do the right thing.

I saw an interview with Ricky Hatton the other day and he said that whilst Mayweather doesn't hit particularly hard any more, his speed means he can hit you 3 or 4 times before you can react which scrambles the brains. Does McGreggor have the boxing skills that guys like Marquez, Pacquaio, Alvarez, Moseley, Cotto, Judah, De La Hoya, Baldomir, Coralles et al didn't have to find a way to counteract Mayweathers speed and ability?

Mon Dieu4
27-06-2017, 10:59 PM
I've watched some of CMs training online and whilst he is obviously only showing what he wants us to see I really hope he isn't going to try and adopt the counter punching approach he seems to be in training. He will get seriously hurt if he does.

The only way he might upset Floyd is if he adopts the Castillo or Maidana approach of relentless pressure. Hit biceps, forearms, shoulders and hope the odd scoring punch slips through. Even then I just can't see him doing anything. I think it could be a bit like Mayweathers fight with Gatti. A fighter in against a boxer and can see a similar outcome, one guy taking a total beating until his corner do the right thing.

I saw an interview with Ricky Hatton the other day and he said that whilst Mayweather doesn't hit particularly hard any more, his speed means he can hit you 3 or 4 times before you can react which scrambles the brains. Does McGreggor have the boxing skills that guys like Marquez, Pacquaio, Alvarez, Moseley, Cotto, Judah, De La Hoya, Baldomir, Coralles et al didn't have to find a way to counteract Mayweathers speed and ability?

If he tries and counters Mayweather then it will be even more boring than you can possibly imagine, two counter punchers just standing waiting until the other throws a punch unless Mayweather decides to just go on the offensive which I can't see happening

I am at 100% for a Mayweather win and agree McGregors only shot is just to go hell for leather from the first bell and hope he gets really really lucky, they reckon he will come in at least 170 pounds for it so he will have a bit of weight but even with that he still won't hit as hard as a Canello or Maidana

Saw an interesting interview with Michael Bisping who admitted that boxers hit much much harder than MMA fighters as that's all they train on day in day out, I knew this already but was good to hear a world champion MMA fighter just tell it like it is

GreenLake
07-07-2017, 07:55 PM
There is no way I am paying loads for a ticket and a trip to Vegas to see this fight but I obtained a couple of tickets to the press conference at Staples which might last a little longer and be more fun. I'm wondering how many soap dodger shirts will be in the Staples Center and remember that there will be a lot of Laker fans backing Mayweather in their own stadium - AND what team do the Lakers hate the most? The Boston Celtics. I see a nice little atmosphere where a Hibs home jersey could be confusing to everyone.

Scouse Hibee
07-07-2017, 11:49 PM
Has this farce not been called off yet? Surely only a matter of time.

Zazu62
08-07-2017, 04:00 PM
Has this farce not been called off yet? Surely only a matter of time.

Why would it get called off? There's too much money on offer for both 'fighters'

GreenLake
08-07-2017, 06:10 PM
Why would it get called off? There's too much money on offer for both 'fighters'

Maybe they are getting paid by EBT's.

Mikey
09-07-2017, 06:58 PM
7 weeks to go and ordinary tickets aren't on sale yet, it's just the hospitality ones. And the T-Mobile arena is still double booked with the basketball event that they've been selling tickets for for ages!

GreenLake
09-07-2017, 07:21 PM
7 weeks to go and ordinary tickets aren't on sale yet, it's just the hospitality ones. And the T-Mobile arena is still double booked with the basketball event that they've been selling tickets for for ages!

I might be offered seats pre-sale at face value by AEG who own Staples Center and T-Mobile (with MGM) Arena. How many tickets are you after?

Mikey
09-07-2017, 07:29 PM
I might be offered seats pre-sale at face value by AEG who own Staples Center and T-Mobile (with MGM) Arena. How many tickets are you after?

EDIT - See below...........

Mikey
09-07-2017, 07:34 PM
I'd go to the weigh in but won't spend money on the fight. Far too expensive. But if you're offered tickets you could still let me know how much they are just in case :greengrin It would just be one ticket.

The weigh in is likely to be free but they may sell tickets just for crowd control. If it's not ticketed I aint standing in a queue all day to get in.

Actually, scrap that, I forgot that we've already got tickets for Rod Stewart at Caesars Palace that night :greengrin

But if you get a pass or ticket for the weigh in......... :wink:

GreenLake
09-07-2017, 08:02 PM
Actually, scrap that, I forgot that we've already got tickets for Rod Stewart at Caesars Palace that night :greengrin

I can ask about the weigh in. Rod Stewart IS probably the better option!

I also emailed someone to find out about ticket pre-sale. If I do get tickets they will be at face value but I have no idea what that will be. I am not paying scalpers $5k to sit in nose bleed seats.

I have an extra ticket for the press conference at Staples Center this Tuesday if you are around LA. I was given those.

Mikey
09-07-2017, 08:15 PM
I can ask about the weigh in. Rod Stewart IS probably the better option!

I also emailed someone to find out about ticket pre-sale. If I do get tickets they will be at face value but I have no idea what that will be. I am not paying scalpers $5k to sit in nose bleed seats.

I have an extra ticket for the press conference at Staples Center this Tuesday if you are around LA. I was given those.

Cheers for that. Sadly I'm nowhere near LA this week and just happen to be in Vegas over that weekend.

I'd certainly be interested in going to the weigh in though if that's workable.

GreenLake
09-07-2017, 08:48 PM
Cheers for that. Sadly I'm nowhere near LA this week and just happen to be in Vegas over that weekend.

I'd certainly be interested in going to the weigh in though if that's workable.

I emailed the VP in charge as my rep is away and I will try to see her at the press conference about the weigh in. I saw her walk on water a couple of times.

Mikey
09-07-2017, 08:57 PM
Nice one, ta.

GreenLake
09-07-2017, 10:17 PM
Nice one, ta.

Things escalated rather fast and I can't say anymore on here. Can I pm you?

Or pm me your email.

NOLA
09-07-2017, 10:27 PM
I'd love to see Connor knock the money man out but sadly don't see it happening. Some of the best fighters in his weight division couldn't do it and they are bonafide boxers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scouse Hibee
09-07-2017, 10:51 PM

Because it's a Hollywood script and not a realistic contest we are ever likely to see. It has no place as a boxing match.

GreenLake
10-07-2017, 12:59 AM
Because it's a Hollywood script and not a realistic contest we are ever likely to see. It has no place as a boxing match.

If it's a Hollywood script like you say, McGregor will be battered senseless till the 8th round and then catch him with an uppercut and knock him out cold. Then there will be a rematch.

lord bunberry
11-07-2017, 03:19 PM

Who's he fighting?

GreenLake
11-07-2017, 03:25 PM
Who's he fighting?

Maggie Melee.

lord bunberry
11-07-2017, 08:05 PM
Maggie Melee.
There will be a few faces at that fight.

GreenLake
12-07-2017, 03:00 AM

I just went to the press conference. Big mistake. I want to see the fight. i also bought a couple of soap dodgers a pint and one of them looked like Leigh Griffiths if he was fifty.

Here is my prediction.

Mayweather will destroy McGregor in a boxing ring.

McGregor would beat the **** out of Mayweather behind the tool shed. :greengrin

Dinkydoo
12-07-2017, 06:08 AM
I think everyone writing off McGregor are being a bit hasty here.

There is no way that McG is going to stand and try to box with one of the greatest (if not the greatest) defensive boxers of all time. He knows he won't win that game and his (and his team's) fight IQ and experience are to good for that.

Imo, McG will be counting on Mayweather never having fought someone who moves like an MMA fighter before. The first few rounds are going to be a new experience for him too and here lies the opportunity for McG to get inside his head and lay the foundations for a massive upset.

In addition to this, Mayweather's guard where he rolls the shoulder is less effective against someone adopting the opposite stance (McG is southpaw). Look at the Davies v Taylor fight just last weekend. Davies' right side was quite open and Taylor managed to get a bit of joy at finding gaps in his guard there.

Finally, consider the McG v Diaz matchups. Diaz, after the first fight, was being touted as simply being a terrible stylistic matchup for McG - I agreed. He's somewhat un-knockout-able and his jiu jitsu would still be better than McG's even if McG got a 5 year head start on their next matchup. What happened, McG lost. Second time round he and his team changed his gameplan. They sacked the grappling, worked in a lot of leg kicks and managed to strike their way to a 5 round points decision.

Does he have a chance against Mayweather? I think he does, well, a bigger one than most are prepared to acknowledge. This is combat sports and stranger things have happened.

GreenLake
12-07-2017, 09:05 AM

I'm not sure about their attire but they will probably wear it well.

HibernianJK
12-07-2017, 11:26 AM
I think everyone writing off McGregor are being a bit hasty here.

There is no way that McG is going to stand and try to box with one of the greatest (if not the greatest) defensive boxers of all time. He knows he won't win that game and his (and his team's) fight IQ and experience are to good for that.

Imo, McG will be counting on Mayweather never having fought someone who moves like an MMA fighter before. The first few rounds are going to be a new experience for him too and here lies the opportunity for McG to get inside his head and lay the foundations for a massive upset.

In addition to this, Mayweather's guard where he rolls the shoulder is less effective against someone adopting the opposite stance (McG is southpaw). Look at the Davies v Taylor fight just last weekend. Davies' right side was quite open and Taylor managed to get a bit of joy at finding gaps in his guard there.

Finally, consider the McG v Diaz matchups. Diaz, after the first fight, was being touted as simply being a terrible stylistic matchup for McG - I agreed. He's somewhat un-knockout-able and his jiu jitsu would still be better than McG's even if McG got a 5 year head start on their next matchup. What happened, McG lost. Second time round he and his team changed his gameplan. They sacked the grappling, worked in a lot of leg kicks and managed to strike their way to a 5 round points decision.

Does he have a chance against Mayweather? I think he does, well, a bigger one than most are prepared to acknowledge. This is combat sports and stranger things have happened.

I mean, I'd love for you to find a stranger thing than boxer without a professional fight beating one of the greatest of all time. That really would be up there with the strangest things of them all.

No contest IMO. Countless fighters over the years have adopted all sorts of tactics vs Mayweather and people have said 'Mayweather won't be ready for such and such.' And well, he was.

lord bunberry
12-07-2017, 05:23 PM
I'm not sure about their attire but they will probably wear it well.

Ha ha you got it eventually mate :greengrin

Dinkydoo
12-07-2017, 05:48 PM
I mean, I'd love for you to find a stranger thing than boxer without a professional fight beating one of the greatest of all time. That really would be up there with the strangest things of them all.

No contest IMO. Countless fighters over the years have adopted all sorts of tactics vs Mayweather and people have said 'Mayweather won't be ready for such and such.' And well, he was.Boxing records aside, why do you think it's a no contest?

I've went into a little detail about why I think McGregor's got a sporting chance at least.

Pretty Boy
12-07-2017, 06:00 PM
Boxing records aside, why do you think it's a no contest?

I've went into a little detail about why I think McGregor's got a sporting chance at least.

I would answer by saying watch Mayweather v Moseley. Watch how Mayweather changes up after getting hit big twice in the 2nd round. Watch how he uses Moseleys success and confidence against him to win 10 rounds on the spin.

Floyd isn't just a good boxer he is one of the all time great boxing technicians and has an almost unrivalled ring IQ in the modern era. McGreggor may well KO Floyd in the 1st or 2nd round with a big shot (although FMs chin is an underrated asset) but if it goes longer than that Mayweather will figure him out and find a way to win. He always does.

Dinkydoo
12-07-2017, 06:31 PM
I would answer by saying watch Mayweather v Moseley. Watch how Mayweather changes up after getting hit big twice in the 2nd round. Watch how he uses Moseleys success and confidence against him to win 10 rounds on the spin.

Floyd isn't just a good boxer he is one of the all time great boxing technicians and has an almost unrivalled ring IQ in the modern era. McGreggor may well KO Floyd in the 1st or 2nd round with a big shot (although FMs chin is an underrated asset) but if it goes longer than that Mayweather will figure him out and find a way to win. He always does.I think that's more than fair; if McGregor tries to out-box him then he is going to lose. Forgetting how good FM is fpr a minute, there is just going to be too many little tricks that work in boxing that aren't used in MMA and as the fight progresses, even if he keeps everything tight, its these details that are likely to lose him the fight.

The same would apply in reverse if FM fought a top level MMA fighter with 4oz gloves on without grappling or kicks.

I think the only approach that could work for him is looking to exploit some kind of niche aspect of boxing that MMA fighters are well prepared for. I don't have any boxing or MMA experience above a bit of sparring so what that may be, I don't know. Typically McG hides his power left hand with a low guard, so it's difficult to see coming after he draws opponents in order to counter..... but that might not work against someone as good as FM - and he might end up on his arse looking stupid in round 1.

It's going to be entertaining whatever happens!

GreenLake
12-07-2017, 07:01 PM
Ha ha you got it eventually mate :greengrin

I have not been getting very much at all lately! 😎

hibs#1
12-07-2017, 07:08 PM
I'd fancy McGregor in any other kind of fight,mma,square go outside the shops or a water fight but not in a boxing ring.

Still can't knock him he's created himself some brand and more or less talked himself into a multi millionaire.

lord bunberry
12-07-2017, 07:51 PM
I have not been getting very much at all lately! 😎

You and me both buddy 😂

GreenLake
12-07-2017, 09:16 PM
Who's he fighting?

I know I quoted this before, but my wife actually laughed at that during her breakfast this morning while working. Not seen that for a long time. :not worth

Hibs.net saving marriages since 1995.

Mon Dieu4
12-07-2017, 11:17 PM
McGregor is dishing out pelters galore here hahaha

Shame it won't end the way I want it to

GreenLake
13-07-2017, 01:19 AM
"40 years of age carrying a schoolbag and the man doesn't even f***** read!"
:faf:

HibernianJK
13-07-2017, 08:58 AM
Boxing records aside, why do you think it's a no contest?

It has been done to death by Pretty Boy regarding how Mayweathers patience, brain and ability don't allow for even the most awkward opponents to have much success.

The fact that Mcgregor is different will maybe pose a problem for what 1 round, 2 maybe? He's encountered awkward fighters before. But the fact his defense and as PB said when he is hit (rarely) his chin holds up.

Does Mcgregor really hit harder than professional boxers such as Canelo? No he doesn't.

Dinkydoo
13-07-2017, 09:20 AM
It has been done to death by Pretty Boy regarding how Mayweathers patience, brain and ability don't allow for even the most awkward opponents to have much success.

The fact that Mcgregor is different will maybe pose a problem for what 1 round, 2 maybe? He's encountered awkward fighters before. But the fact his defense and as PB said when he is hit (rarely) his chin holds up.

Does Mcgregor really hit harder than professional boxers such as Canelo? No he doesn't.All FM's awkward opponents to date have been boxers, so McGs style is definitely going to be more of a wildcard than your typical tricky boxer.

Will it be more successful, who knows.

McG doesn't usually knock people out with raw power anyway, so being unable to hit as hard as Canelo is, to an extent, irrelevant.

Since90+2
13-07-2017, 09:53 AM
McGregor has a small chance in the 1st or 2nd round to catch Mayweather off guard as his stance and technique will be completely different to anything Mayweather has faced. If McGregor can catch him cold then he might win by KO but i'd say its about a 200/1 shot (which at the end of the day is still a chance). If it goes beyond the 3rd round Mayweather will have figured him out and will completely outbox McGregor and probably stop him later on.

Mayweather claimed in the press conference he would fight McGregor in the octagon with 4oz gloves on which nobody on earth believes. Mayweather's hands are brittle and have been since the Gatti fight and if he was to fight McGregor in MMA he would be knocked out within about a minute.

Allant1981
13-07-2017, 10:18 AM
just been looking at the odds for the fight, obviously mayweather is odds on favourite but only getting 4/1 for mcgregor, might stick a few quid on just in case, stranger things have happened

Since90+2
13-07-2017, 11:03 AM
If you are betting on McGregor to win you may as well back him to win by KO and get the better odds. There is absolutely not a hope in hell he will win on points.

Dinkydoo
13-07-2017, 11:18 AM
If you are betting on McGregor to win you may as well back him to win by KO and get the better odds. There is absolutely not a hope in hell he will win on points.Yep, that's what I'll be doing.

Probably stick 30 quid on it. If it doesn't work out then its just a (albeit expensive) bit of fun. If he pulls it off then I'll be quids in!

NOLA
13-07-2017, 03:55 PM
That press conference was quality [emoji38] "he's dressed like a little breakdancer" [emoji23] the Brooklyn conference should be good plenty Irish will be there

NOLA
13-07-2017, 04:03 PM
"Does this microphone work? Well then fk that one 🥊🤣

GreenLake
13-07-2017, 10:36 PM
Watching every press conference and enjoying every moment with booze and food. This is showtime.

GreenLake
13-07-2017, 11:13 PM
I have not felt like this since a kid watching Ali.

GreenLake
14-07-2017, 12:36 AM
This is like Gangs of F****** New York except Conor McGregor is making Daniel Day Lewis look like a wee fanny.

GreenLake
14-07-2017, 12:44 AM
If Mayweather ran into Conor in a dark alley he would absolutely crap himself.

Pretty Boy
14-07-2017, 06:04 AM
If Mayweather ran into Conor in a dark alley he would absolutely crap himself.

Not so sure about that.

Mayweather may be flash and brash now but he had to toughen up quickly. His Dad was a drug dealer who spent long periods in jail and his Mum a heroin addict. He pretty much dragged himself up and lived in some less than desirable places. I'll wager he's encountered far scarier people than Conor McGregor in his time.

McGregor might well kick **** out him in a street fight but he'd go down fighting.

18Hibee75
14-07-2017, 09:24 AM

The most entertaining part about the fight for me will be the build up. Two of the biggest trash talkers in their respective sports.

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

Sylar
14-07-2017, 11:30 AM
I find all of the trash talk exceedingly boring.

They'll trawl out all of this billy-big-baws nonsense right up until the first bell goes, and irrespective of who wins we'll hear calls for a rematch and how much respect they have for each other.

It's the same in the lead-up to every big fight nowadays and it's just naff.

I don't think McGregor stands a chance for what it's worth, unless he catches Floyd off-guard in the early rounds. Mayweather's too clever a boxer to leave himself open to that, so I'll predict a cautious start, plenty of refereeing interventions and an eventual KO from Mayweather.

(watch as McGregor dumps him in the first and I'll come back here feeling like a prize plum :greengrin)

GreenLake
14-07-2017, 03:53 PM
Not so sure about that.

Mayweather may be flash and brash now but he had to toughen up quickly. His Dad was a drug dealer who spent long periods in jail and his Mum a heroin addict. He pretty much dragged himself up and lived in some less than desirable places. I'll wager he's encountered far scarier people than Conor McGregor in his time.

McGregor might well kick **** out him in a street fight but he'd go down fighting.

Yeah they are both hard as nails. I just think McGregor is a young brutal savage and Mayweather is highly specialized and 40 years old. I would hope a security camera catches that streetlight if it happens.

GreenLake
14-07-2017, 03:55 PM
I find all of the trash talk exceedingly boring.

They'll trawl out all of this billy-big-baws nonsense right up until the first bell goes, and irrespective of who wins we'll hear calls for a rematch and how much respect they have for each other.

It's the same in the lead-up to every big fight nowadays and it's just naff.

I don't think McGregor stands a chance for what it's worth, unless he catches Floyd off-guard in the early rounds. Mayweather's too clever a boxer to leave himself open to that, so I'll predict a cautious start, plenty of refereeing interventions and an eventual KO from Mayweather.

(watch as McGregor dumps him in the first and I'll come back here feeling like a prize plum :greengrin)

I haven't heard such quality trash talk since the coffee room at University.

Onceinawhile
14-07-2017, 04:37 PM
McGregor showing himself to be at the very least and idiot and at worst a racist has been fun.

14-07-2017, 08:29 PM
I have no time for McGreagor at all, really cannot take to him at all and do not get the whole lovin around him.

Sylar
14-07-2017, 10:36 PM
So now homophobic insults are being trotted out by Mayweather.

I still believe 100% that the whole thing is pure theatre, but that was uncalled for in their London conference.

Scouse Hibee
14-07-2017, 10:58 PM
So now homophobic insults are being trotted out by Mayweather.

I still believe 100% that the whole thing is pure theatre, but that was uncalled for in their London conference.

Totally staged farce, can't believe folk are taken in by this stage show.

Onceinawhile
15-07-2017, 06:40 AM
I have no time for McGreagor at all, really cannot take to him at all and do not get the whole lovin around him.

I've recently come to understand it.

He's essentially an internet troll and for some reason 'lads' love it.

hibsbollah
15-07-2017, 07:54 AM
So to summarise Mayweather-'dont be a racist, I love everyone, its about showing respect to people as human beings, you big faggot'.:rolleyes:

How anyone can get excited about this pish event I have no idea.

GreenLake
15-07-2017, 02:32 PM
So to summarise Mayweather-'dont be a racist, I love everyone, its about showing respect to people as human beings, you big faggot'.:rolleyes:

How anyone can get excited about this pish event I have no idea.

How the largest audience in boxing history can get excited about this pish event I have no idea. :greengrin

hibsbollah
15-07-2017, 09:21 PM
How the largest audience in boxing history can get excited about this pish event I have no idea. :greengrin

Don't ever underestimate the stupidity of the global TV watching public. :na na:

GreenLake
15-07-2017, 10:04 PM
Don't ever underestimate the stupidity of the global TV watching public. :na na:

Or my own! :greengrin

brianmc
16-07-2017, 08:01 PM
PPV prices in the UK allegedly set at £89.99 if you have a full Sky Sports package and £129.99 if not.

Hahahaha. I wouldn't pay that for a ringside seat at the actual fight!!!

NOLA
16-07-2017, 09:36 PM
PPV prices in the UK allegedly set at £89.99 if you have a full Sky Sports package and £129.99 if not.

That can ae be right [emoji35] no one in their right mind will pay that. 30 quid max

Zazu62
16-07-2017, 09:46 PM

Absolute nonsense. No chance that would happen.

Anyone who buys this farce of a fight is a complete mug, Mcgregor won't even get close to Floyd

CallumLaidlaw
16-07-2017, 10:26 PM

Sky haven't even got the rights yet.
The pacman-mayweather fight was $100 in the USA, but about £20 here. Will be exactly the same for this one.

ekhibee
17-07-2017, 12:42 AM
Mayweather is an awesome boxer, one of the very best of all time. The times i've seen him interviewed I can't say that there's anything I like about him at all, but as a boxer he is truly exceptional. I would love to see McGregor flatten him but, like most others on here, I can't see it happening.

Allant1981
17-07-2017, 08:02 AM

that tweet going about was a hoax apparently, prices havent been set yet

17-07-2017, 08:52 AM
The "trash talk" is certainly serving the purpose of building up the hype to this fight but i'm starting to find it a bit cringey, especially the McGreagor stuff.

brianmc
17-07-2017, 09:39 AM
that tweet going about was a hoax apparently, prices havent been set yet

👍 That's the reason my post had the word 'allegedly' in it.

hibsbollah
19-07-2017, 06:28 AM
The "trash talk" is certainly serving the purpose of building up the hype to this fight but i'm starting to find it a bit cringey, especially the McGreagor stuff.

He's like the stupidest guy in the class grabbing the mic in drama and saying all the 'nawty-est' things he can think of before the teacher gets back. And why does he have to walk round and round in circles when he's doing his ranting? He's like a rabbit with concussion.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
19-07-2017, 07:44 AM
McGregor is in Mayweathers head. Watch McGregor beat him and shock the world.

nellio
19-07-2017, 01:14 PM

He's got to get near him first!! Mayweather is the most elusive fighter ever and if top elite fighters can't get near him I doubt McGregor will.

CapitalGreen
19-07-2017, 02:37 PM

There's more chance of Hibs signing that postman you announced on your twitter.

Scouse Hibee
19-07-2017, 04:08 PM

Not a chance

Pretty Boy
19-07-2017, 04:52 PM

sleeping giant
19-07-2017, 10:56 PM

Ooft.

Poor Charlie :-)

sleeping giant
19-07-2017, 10:59 PM
I have not felt like this since a kid watching Ali.

It's proper Hollywood.
Can't wait for this and hope McGregor , who I used to loathe , knocks him out.

Must say , I wish had had been to the events like yourself.

DH1875
22-07-2017, 07:33 AM
I'm in the minority here but genuinely think McGregor has a chance and that's who my money is going on.
If I learned anything from watching Rocky growing up it was, never mess with a south paw :greengrin.

Onceinawhile
22-07-2017, 12:06 PM
I'm in the minority here but genuinely think McGregor has a chance and that's who my money is going on.
If I learned anything from watching Rocky growing up it was, never mess with a south paw :greengrin.

You know rocky lost right?

Mantis Toboggan
24-07-2017, 09:37 AM

Basing a bet on the plot of rocky isnt something I would do, but good luck to you!

hibsbollah
29-07-2017, 08:19 PM
It doesn't get any more on the money than this.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/07/can-sports-sink-lower-than-mayweather-mcgregor.html?utm_source=fb&utm_medium=s3&utm_campaign=sharebutton-b

Sylar
29-07-2017, 10:23 PM

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/07/can-sports-sink-lower-than-mayweather-mcgregor.html?utm_source=fb&utm_medium=s3&utm_campaign=sharebutton-b

Aside from their pop at New England (:greengrin) , it's a very good article!

It's not a new strategy though - just look at Rangers and Celtc - they've built their empires on hatred, division and prejudice for decades now, and it succeeded in creating a duopoly for the entire time I've been watching Scottish Football.

It's pitiful, but if it profits, I fully understand why all parties are happy to vent their spleens and attack every minority they can possibly dream up in the name of 'entertainment'.

DH1875
29-07-2017, 11:20 PM
You know rocky lost right?

Aye but he was robbed :greengrin.

snooky
03-08-2017, 09:40 PM

Amen. Sums up everything in the world today.
No morals or ethics - the fast buck beats all.
Sad times.

HibernianJK
03-08-2017, 10:35 PM
Amen. Sums up everything in the world today.
No morals or ethics - the fast buck beats all.
Sad times.

Some good points - but it's certainly not the best thing boxing has got going. Look no further than a month into the future for that. Or no further than Anthony Joshua. 2 things real boxing fans are infinitely more excited about than this fight.

chinaman
04-08-2017, 11:19 AM
Back in the real world, josh taylor was at East Mains seeing his favourite team training.
World title fight at easter road in the summer 2018...hopefully

Godsahibby
04-08-2017, 03:47 PM
Back in the real world, josh taylor was at East Mains seeing his favourite team training.

He has said before he wants to fight on the Castle Esplanade. That would be more likely than at ER.

lord bunberry
06-08-2017, 11:02 AM
He has said before he wants to fight on the Castle Esplanade. That would be more likely than at ER.
I can't see him ever fighting at the castle. The ground in the centre of the stands is on a slope, they would have to build a new temporary floor in order to have the ring and ringside seats.

sleeping giant
06-08-2017, 01:53 PM

Why come back to the real world ?
This is a Mayweather v McGregor thread .

:-)

nellio
07-08-2017, 01:36 PM
Why come back to the real world ?
This is a Mayweather v McGregor thread .

:-)

Some interesting stuff coming out from malignaggi recently!

hibs#1
07-08-2017, 01:46 PM
Some interesting stuff coming out from malignaggi recently!

Yip he's not happy with McGregor At all. To be fair the releasing that picture was a bit of dick move on McGregor's part.

HibernianJK
07-08-2017, 08:57 PM
I think the longer the build up drags on, the more people realise what a shambles it is (in general). I can't really see many people getting more and more excited about it and see a lot of people on twitter just getting a bit fed up.

GreenLake
08-08-2017, 03:37 AM
No need to dwell on this until the day before in Vegas. There is a lot of action next weekend to ease the boredom. Ed Sheeran on Friday, NYCFC vs LA Galaxy on Saturday and on Sunday......

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170808/65ba0a6163500c2607775bf4691d9727.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Sean1875
22-08-2017, 12:30 PM
Undoubtedly a very long shot here.. but does anyone know of any bars/clubs/casinos in Gothenburg that would be showing this? :dunno:

TRC
22-08-2017, 12:59 PM
Undoubtedly a very long shot here.. but does anyone know of any bars/clubs/casinos in Gothenburg that would be showing this? :dunno:

you'll be struggling i'd think 4am start for us in Sweden. Best shout would be this I'd guess https://www.casinocosmopol.se/goteborg/om-casino-cosmopol

Since90+2
22-08-2017, 01:56 PM
It will start later than 4am in Gothenburg. It probably wont start until about 5.30am UK time and Gothenburg is another hour behind that.

Sean1875
22-08-2017, 02:16 PM
you'll be struggling i'd think 4am start for us in Sweden. Best shout would be this I'd guess https://www.casinocosmopol.se/goteborg/om-casino-cosmopol

It will start later than 4am in Gothenburg. It probably wont start until about 5.30am UK time and Gothenburg is another hour behind that.

Aye cheers guys, its not looking good though! Casinos seem to close at around 5am which is when I'd guess would be the absolute earliest this fight would start, probably closer to 6am!

Know a girl from uni who lives there now and has a bit of an MMA interest so hoping to twist her arm into letting me and 6 of my pals come to hers to watch it.. wish me luck :greengrin

TRC
22-08-2017, 02:46 PM
Aye cheers guys, its not looking good though! Casinos seem to close at around 5am which is when I'd guess would be the absolute earliest this fight would start, probably closer to 6am!

Know a girl from uni who lives there now and has a bit of an MMA interest so hoping to twist her arm into letting me and 6 of my pals come to hers to watch it.. wish me luck :greengrin

If you're on facebook look up Langaming it's a computer place but they are showing it and says food and drink. 49kr entry about a fiver from 2am. bit out of town

Sean1875
22-08-2017, 03:14 PM
If you're on facebook look up Langaming it's a computer place but they are showing it and says food and drink. 49kr entry about a fiver from 2am. bit out of town

Perfect mate ill definitely have a look into it and keep it in mind, much appreciated :aok:

DH1875
22-08-2017, 03:40 PM
Was/is it not been confirmed as a 4am start UK time?

Since90+2
22-08-2017, 03:46 PM
Cant see how it can be a 4am start time in the UK as that would mean it starts at 8pm in Vegas. Major headline fights in Vegas normally start around 10pm.

The Mayweather v Pacquiao fight started just after 5.30am in the UK so I would imagine this will be similar.

Sean1875
22-08-2017, 04:17 PM
Cant see how it can be a 4am start time in the UK as that would mean it starts at 8pm in Vegas. Major headline fights in Vegas normally start around 10pm.

The Mayweather v Pacquiao fight started just after 5.30am in the UK so I would imagine this will be similar.

Gonna be a long night :boo hoo:

hibs#1
22-08-2017, 08:40 PM
Gonna be a long night :boo hoo:

Or an early morning?😉

CallumLaidlaw
22-08-2017, 09:12 PM

Got this from someone that works in the Sky PPV team the other day -

Next weekends event details.

Ring walk for main event is expected about 04:30 - 04:45.

Below is the running order:

Floyd Mayweather v Conor McGregor

12 Rounds Super Welterweight
Gervonta Davis v Francisco Fonseca

IBF Super-Featherweight Title
Nathan Cleverly v Badou Jack

WBA Light-Heavyweight Title
Andrew Tabiti v Steve Cunningham

10 Rounds Cruiserweight
Shawn Porter v Thomas Dulorme

10 Rounds Welterweight
Kevin Newman v Antonio Hernande

Mon Dieu4
22-08-2017, 09:26 PM
Got this from someone that works in the Sky PPV team the other day -

Next weekends event details.

Ring walk for main event is expected about 04:30 - 04:45.

Below is the running order:

Floyd Mayweather v Conor McGregor

12 Rounds Super Welterweight
Gervonta Davis v Francisco Fonseca

IBF Super-Featherweight Title
Nathan Cleverly v Badou Jack

WBA Light-Heavyweight Title
Andrew Tabiti v Steve Cunningham

10 Rounds Cruiserweight
Shawn Porter v Thomas Dulorme

10 Rounds Welterweight
Kevin Newman v Antonio Hernande

Email them back and tell them that Cleverly is about 4 stone too heavy to be a super featherweight :wink:

Frazerbob
23-08-2017, 06:51 AM

The Pacquiao fight was delayed by the TV due to huge numbers of late PPV orders in the US. They were discussing this on the 5 Live boxing podcast yesterday. First I'd heard to be fair.

lord bunberry
23-08-2017, 09:41 AM
It's not ideal that the hibs game starts at 12:30. Even if it's over quite quickly there's going to be a few sore heads watching the football.

Sean1875
23-08-2017, 10:06 AM
Or an early morning?😉

lightweight :wink:

A night of overpriced drinks and ogling at Swedish women for me before the fight should suffice to pass the time :greengrin

TRC
23-08-2017, 12:03 PM

A night of overpriced drinks and ogling at Swedish women for me before the fight should suffice to pass the time :greengrin

If you want some Swedish chat up lines give me a shout!!!!

lord bunberry
23-08-2017, 04:41 PM
He's really starting to grow on me, and I never thought I'd say that.

nellio
23-08-2017, 05:02 PM
Not a bad card to be fair. As a Welshman ill be watching Clevs fight with interest.

Frazerbob
23-08-2017, 05:57 PM
7000 unsold tickets.

GreenLake
23-08-2017, 07:15 PM
It's not ideal that the hibs game starts at 12:30. Even if it's over quite quickly there's going to be a few sore heads watching the football.

No kidding. It starts at 4.30AM in Vegas. Odds on both McGregor's winning will be slim to none.

calumhibee1
23-08-2017, 08:42 PM
7000 unsold tickets.

For this? Surely not?

hibs#1
23-08-2017, 09:03 PM

Well I am a bit of lightweight these days tbf. The Swedish woman bit does sound fun though 😜,enjoy.

Frazerbob
23-08-2017, 09:54 PM
For this? Surely not?

Yip, it's all over the press today. Tickets from $500 to thousands available.

GreenLake
24-08-2017, 03:06 AM
Yip, it's all over the press today. Tickets from $500 to thousands available.

Tickets remaining are being touted at multiples of face value. Cheapest on StubHub is $1619 and Ticketmaster is $2500. Where are you able to find a $500 ticket available? Let me know because I have a lot of people asking me for those $500 tickets.

Frazerbob
24-08-2017, 08:32 AM
Tickets remaining are being touted at multiples of face value. Cheapest on StubHub is $1619 and Ticketmaster is $2500. Where are you able to find a $500 ticket available? Let me know because I have a lot of people asking me for those $500 tickets.

This morning's Costello & Bunce podcast from Vegas spoke at length about the unsold tickets. Anything from 1000 to 7000 seats will be empty on the night. I think a combination of silly prices and the boxing market not buying into this event. None of the top price tickets are actually bought by those who take up the seats on the night. They're either freebies for celebs or freebies from the casinos to the high rollers. There are thousands of Irish fans in town, hardly any will be at the fight due to the prices. Don't forget, the Mayweather Pacquiao fight a couple of years ago wasn't sold out either. Arguably the biggest fight in recent decades and it wasn't a full house.

calumhibee1
24-08-2017, 02:19 PM
Out of interest, what is a full house at the MGM? About 30k?

Sean1875
24-08-2017, 02:30 PM
Out of interest, what is a full house at the MGM? About 30k?

Its being fought in the new 'T-Mobile Arena' which holds around 20k and im sure holds more than the old MGM which I think was around 16-17k? could be wrong though

calumhibee1
24-08-2017, 02:38 PM
Its being fought in the new 'T-Mobile Arena' which holds around 20k and im sure holds more than the old MGM which I think was around 16-17k? could be wrong though

So about a third of the tickets unsold! Seems crazy. I've always wondered where the money that the fighters get for these fights come from. Insane amounts of money for one event.

hibs#1
24-08-2017, 04:26 PM
So about a third of the tickets unsold! Seems crazy. I've always wondered where the money that the fighters get for these fights come from. Insane amounts of money for one event.

Sponsers and ppv buy rates I'd imagine.i think ppv makes a lot of the money.

Scouse Hibee
25-08-2017, 10:18 AM
7000 unsold tickets.

Good to hear that many see this farce for what it is.

lord bunberry
25-08-2017, 01:12 PM
I'm enjoying Paulie Malignaggi getting really wound up about the release of the sparring session. He's a decent guy Malignaggi and it's unusual to see him lose it the way he has.

HibbyAndy
26-08-2017, 05:34 PM
any idea roughly what time it will be on ?

Hibby70
26-08-2017, 06:34 PM

My alarm is set for 4, expect to be back in bed for 5:15

Allant1981
26-08-2017, 06:54 PM

sure i read about 4.30

CallumLaidlaw
26-08-2017, 06:55 PM
sure i read about 4.30

Ringwalk apparently 4.30 [emoji106]

wpj
26-08-2017, 06:55 PM
Not at home where i could have ordered it but have internet access and wifi so......any reliable streams anyone knows about?

Pretty Boy
26-08-2017, 07:15 PM
Not at home where i could have ordered it but have internet access and wifi so......any reliable streams anyone knows about?

You can order Sky Box Office on a tablet or phone if you dowload the app.

I always find streams for boxing to be hit or miss. Not an issue for me as I'm giving it a miss, saving myself for Canelo v Golovkin in a few weeks.

Sergey
26-08-2017, 07:17 PM

I always find streams for boxing to be hot or miss. Not an issue for me as I'm giving it a miss, saving myself for Canelo v Golovkin in a few weeks.

Delete if necessary (as I know I'm breaking the rules), but stopstream.me always provide decent streams of the boxing.

wpj
26-08-2017, 07:21 PM
Delete if necessary (as I know I'm breaking the rules), but stopstream.me always provide decent streams of the boxing.

I was breaking the rules asking 😉 tnx. Catch up soon

wpj
26-08-2017, 07:22 PM

I always find streams for boxing to be hit or miss. Not an issue for me as I'm giving it a miss, saving myself for Canelo v Golovkin in a few weeks.

Not too bothered about the quality tbh just fancy seeing what happens

DH1875
26-08-2017, 08:44 PM

Sounds like some sort of adult website 😉

NOLA
26-08-2017, 11:25 PM
May weather looked rattled at the weigh in. I still expect him to run to victory but I would love Conor to spark him out

High-On-Hibs
27-08-2017, 01:16 AM
It's a steep price to pay........ but i'll be putting up with yankee accents for the next several hours.

David_D
27-08-2017, 02:17 AM
I know they struggled to sell tickets but come on the place is empty still.

GreenLake
27-08-2017, 02:51 AM
It's so boring here. How did I pass the time eating the buffet and getting drunk at Goose Island. Now we are sitting in the lower bowl,struggling to get interested. I can't believe how stupid we were. I could have left this money to relatives when I die and stayed home pontificating about what is good or not.

[emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170827/7c0eb63f3001bc8a0c6e11caed2ce2e0.jpg

GreenLake
27-08-2017, 03:23 AM
Tyson and LeBron Jameshttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170827/b585be9a00390f3021100a9e6129f514.jpg

SteveHFC
27-08-2017, 03:36 AM
Fight delayed due to PPV outages.

No sleep for me :hyper

Frazerbob
27-08-2017, 03:42 AM
Various sources reporting a delay in the fight starting due to PPV demand, as happened with the Pacquiao fight. No new time given.

27-08-2017, 03:56 AM
I want an hour or two kip before I have to get the train to Dundee so it better start soon.

SteveHFC
27-08-2017, 04:00 AM
Starting now :hyper

Pretty Boy
27-08-2017, 04:42 AM
So I relented and watched.

Faif play to McGreggor. Started like a train, as I thought he would, and won the 1st 3 rounds. Mayweather getting on top now though and is a round up now imo. Lamded some heavy shots in the last 2 and McGreggor looks tired.

Pretty Boy
27-08-2017, 04:50 AM
This is getting a bit uncomfortable to watch. I really don't like the way McGreggors head is snappong back when he gets hit.

Pretty Boy
27-08-2017, 04:52 AM
All over. Good refereeing. McGreggor was in danger of being seriously hurt there.

SteveHFC
27-08-2017, 04:58 AM
Fair play to McGregor. Congrats to Floyd for 50-0.

CallumLaidlaw
27-08-2017, 05:15 AM
Froch is such a boxing snob.
Entertaining fight. Much more entertaining than a LOT of people expected. It probably went the way most people thought but all froch done was talk down Mcgregor.

Allant1981
27-08-2017, 05:33 AM
mayweather was in control for most of the fight, could see the gulf in boxing class, i thought skys commentary was very poor, time to get them in the octagon!

HibernianJK
27-08-2017, 05:35 AM
This is getting a bit uncomfortable to watch. I really don't like the way McGreggors head is snappong back when he gets hit.

How on earth did McGregor not get penalised for hitting back of Floyds head?

yonder1875
27-08-2017, 05:37 AM
Conor questioning the stoppage after the fight, if you've not thrown a punch in a minute and being hit constantly of course it'll be stopped.

If anyone watched on a Showtime stream, I think Paulie Malignaggi gave a well rounded and fair review of it all (yes, really).

CallumLaidlaw
27-08-2017, 05:37 AM
How on earth did McGregor not get penalised for hitting back of Floyds head?

You mean the floyd that turned his back at every opportunity?

Don't get me wrong, I fully expected a mayweather win, but he played up on the "UFC" tactics at every possible opportunity

CallumLaidlaw
27-08-2017, 05:39 AM
Conor questioning the stoppage after the fight, if you've not thrown a punch in a minute and being hit constantly of course it'll be stopped.

If anyone watched on a Showtime stream, I think Paulie Malignaggi gave a well rounded and fair review of it all (yes, really).

Agreed. No questions about the stoppage from a boxing point of view. Although, from a MMA point of view, I see why he questioned it - that's not where he was fighting tho

GreenLake
27-08-2017, 07:35 AM
I thought it was a good fight and so did my wife and everyone around us. Mayweather might have let him linger, I don't know, but I saw McGregor take punches. Nobody lost here except the contrite individuals whose consciousness upon waking is a farce.

GreenLake
27-08-2017, 07:40 AM
The most memorable thing about today was not Mayweather vs McGregor but my wife complaining to Mikey about Hibs.net and in particular about it causing me to laugh frequently in the wee hours of the morning. Mikey is a legend in my book and his legacy is the best forum on the internet - football or otherwise.

easty
27-08-2017, 08:15 AM
You mean the floyd that turned his back at every opportunity?

Don't get me wrong, I fully expected a mayweather win, but he played up on the "UFC" tactics at every possible opportunity

That's what he does, he didn't play it up because it was McGregor.

easty
27-08-2017, 08:19 AM
I thought Mayweather was quite happy to let McGregor win the early rounds. Knew exactly what he was doing. McGregor might have looked the part early on, but he was never hurting Floyd and all the time just draining himself.

It was meant to be treated like a real boxing fight, McGregor got away with a lot more than a fighter would usually get away with.

It was right that the ref stopped it obviously, but I would have loved another minute or so to see McGregor get his heid taken clean off.

Nae point in a rematch, hope there isn't one, exactly same thing would happen.

ekhibee
27-08-2017, 08:33 AM
I thought Mayweather was quite happy to let McGregor win the early rounds. Knew exactly what he was doing. McGregor might have looked the part early on, but he was never hurting Floyd and all the time just draining himself.

It was meant to be treated like a real boxing fight, McGregor got away with a lot more than a fighter would usually get away with.

It was right that the ref stopped it obviously, but I would have loved another minute or so to see McGregor get his heid taken clean off.

What's with this 'it was meant to be treated like a real boxing fight'? Mcgregor lasted 10 rounds and it wasn't all one way. And Mayweather certainly didn't know what he was doing in the early rounds, he as good as admitted that after the match by admitting that McGregor was a lot better than he thought. If it was a farcical as your making out it would have been over a lot earlier than the 10th.

easty
27-08-2017, 08:37 AM
What's with this 'it was meant to be treated like a real boxing fight'? Mcgregor lasted 10 rounds and it wasn't all one way. And Mayweather certainly didn't know what he was doing in the early rounds, he as good as admitted that after the match by admitting that McGregor was a lot better than he thought. If it was a farcical as your making out it would have been over a lot earlier than the 10th.

Think it's quite clear what I was saying. It was meant to be treated like a real boxing match, but McGregor got away with illegal punches without punishment. Would never have happened under normal circumstances.

You might think Mayweather didn't know what he was doing early on. I disagree completely. This is one of the best fighters of all time. He knew.

Pretty Boy
27-08-2017, 08:38 AM

Malignaggi wants to fight McGregor on St Patricks Day next year.

Paulie is so far past his best and so much smaller that McGregor actually has a chance imo. I wonder how easy McGregor will find it to go back to UFC. He made $27M from 2 fights last year in MMA. Whilst every boxing fight isn't against a draw like Mayweather, if he could establish himself at welterweight or light middleweight (and he'd be parachuted in near the top end) he could make a more than that boxing.

Since90+2
27-08-2017, 08:40 AM
I must be one of the few people who think McGregor comes out of it better than Floyd. It took Floyd almost 10 rounds to beat a guy who has never had a professional boxing contest previously and that was wearing 8oz gloves. Can you imagine Sugar Ray Leonard or Tommy Hearns taking 10 rounds to dispose of him? Yes he is more of a defensive fighter but he didn't fight particularly defensive last night.

Fair play to McGregor , he has a great chin and fought for almost 30 minutes against the best boxer of his generation. If the roles were to be reversed and it took place in MMA it's likely the fight wouldn't last a tenth as long as it did for last night.

Pretty Boy
27-08-2017, 08:43 AM

Mayweather knew what he was doing in that Mcgregor clearly punched himself out. He was throwing a lot but did he ever hurt Mayweather? Apart from the big uppercut in the 1st I struggle to think of any heavy shots he landed.

It wasn't a farce at all but Mayweather often starts slow whilst he works opponents out. Once he realised McGregor wasn't going to hurt him and didn't have the guile to catch him clean he let him throw his shots in the early rounds before planting his feet and throwing his own from the mid 4th onwards.

HibernianJK
27-08-2017, 08:43 AM
Agreed. No questions about the stoppage from a boxing point of view. Although, from a MMA point of view, I see why he questioned it - that's not where he was fighting tho

lol welcome to Floyd's world. It's still illegal.

Nameless
27-08-2017, 09:01 AM
Nobody lost here except the contrite individuals whose consciousness upon waking is a farce.

Ian....is that you? I've missed you man!

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

HibernianJK
27-08-2017, 09:04 AM
It's so boring here. How did I pass the time eating the buffet and getting drunk at Goose Island. Now we are sitting in the lower bowl,struggling to get interested. I can't believe how stupid we were. I could have left this money to relatives when I die and stayed home pontificating about what is good or not.

[emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170827/7c0eb63f3001bc8a0c6e11caed2ce2e0.jpg

Is this a pic before the main event?

blackpoolhibs
27-08-2017, 09:08 AM
Mayweather knew what he was doing in that Mcgregor clearly punched himself out. He was throwing a lot but did he ever hurt Mayweather? Apart from the big uppercut in the 1st I struggle to think of any heavy shots he landed.

It wasn't a farce at all but Mayweather often starts slow whilst he works opponents out. Once he realised McGregor wasn't going to hurt him and didn't have the guile to catch him clean he let him throw his shots in the early rounds before planting his feet and throwing his own from the mid 4th onwards.

That is exactly how I saw it. :agree:

CallumLaidlaw
27-08-2017, 09:10 AM
lol welcome to Floyd's world. It's still illegal.

What's illegal? I was commenting on the stoppage.

Conor is clearly used to being given a bit more time to recover" but as I said, that's in MMA, and that's not the world he was fighting in.

easty
27-08-2017, 09:32 AM
Malignaggi wants to fight McGregor on St Patricks Day next year.

Paulie is so far past his best and so much smaller that McGregor actually has a chance imo. I wonder how easy McGregor will find it to go back to UFC. He made $27M from 2 fights last year in MMA. Whilst every boxing fight isn't against a draw like Mayweather, if he could establish himself at welterweight or light middleweight (and he'd be parachuted in near the top end) he could make a more than that boxing.

I'd give him a chance of beating Malignaggi, but is it that big a draw that it'll get arranged?

While plenty wanted to see this fight, there's no going to be a great clamour for a fight with PM.

HibernianJK
27-08-2017, 09:35 AM
What's illegal? I was commenting on the stoppage.

Conor is clearly used to being given a bit more time to recover" but as I said, that's in MMA, and that's not the world he was fighting in.

You replied to my comment specifically about hitting the back of Floyd's head so assumed you were talking about that. Apologies if misunderstood.

CallumLaidlaw
27-08-2017, 09:37 AM
You replied to my comment specifically about hitting the back of Floyd's head so assumed you were talking about that. Apologies if misunderstood.

Ah makes sense now - you quoted a different one of my posts. Got it now [emoji106]

sleeping giant
27-08-2017, 10:02 AM
I'm like a Zombie this morning.
I am well past staying up to that time now. Never again :-)

I thought the whole TV event was poor. There was no atmosphere at all for the whole event.

Thought CM done better that I thought he would but still looked a fish out of water.

I hope he goes back to the UFC to defend his belts and forgets about boxing.
There is absolutely no way that there will be rematch in the octagon. If there was , it would last less than a minute.

Splitting headache this morning and not moving from the couch. Roll on the football.

Speedy
27-08-2017, 10:45 AM
I must be one of the few people who think McGregor comes out of it better than Floyd. It took Floyd almost 10 rounds to beat a guy who has never had a professional boxing contest previously and that was wearing 8oz gloves. Can you imagine Sugar Ray Leonard or Tommy Hearns taking 10 rounds to dispose of him? Yes he is more of a defensive fighter but he didn't fight particularly defensive last night.

Fair play to McGregor , he has a great chin and fought for almost 30 minutes against the best boxer of his generation. If the roles were to be reversed and it took place in MMA it's likely the fight wouldn't last a tenth as long as it did for last night.

It went pretty much exactly as I thought it would. McGregor never threatened Mayweather but equally McGregor is a hard guy and was rarely threatened by Mayweather who doesn't have a great deal of punching power/KOs compared to his peers.

Mayweather would know it's not a race, it never has been for him, so going 10 rounds is unlikely to be a concern or a surprse for him.

McGregor would easily win at MMA, of course he would. Mayweather would lose against a decent chunk of boxers in an MMA ring.

Mantis Toboggan
27-08-2017, 12:20 PM
I thought it was an enjoyable fight.
McGregor did way better than he had any right to. He is some competitor.
Gas was with the benefit of hindsight always going to be an issue.
Far from the farce that some were predicting.
However the ref was really poor and McGregor should have had at least a point off.

GreenLake
28-08-2017, 05:34 AM
Mayweather was everything that the few thinking fans of boxing on this forum predicted and a worthy winner.

I would like to see McGregor fight Alvarez but make the Mexican convert to MMA rules if he wants the paycheck.

Frazerbob
07-09-2017, 08:24 AM
Over 7000 empty seats confirmed......

'Figures provided by the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC), who sanctioned the bout, showed 13,094 tickets were sold. A further 137 were given away as complimentary tickets, taking the total attendance to 13,231. The T-Mobile Arena holds 20,500 for boxing events and on fight night, Mayweather Promotions stated the attendance was 14,623.'

Taken from the BBC