PDA

View Full Version : Scottish Football Pitches

California-Hibs
13-03-2017, 07:50 PM
Sitting here looking at the Chelsea field on tv and it's immaculate, you can't help but be impressed. Why are our fields so so bad in comparison? Is the upkeep really that much that we can't strive to have similar standards? It's not like the weather can be used as an excuse, it's similar there.

I know they use those big glass mirrors to reflect light to encourage grass growth, is that all it's really down to or is there more in it? Are the light reflectors that expensive that it's a complete no go for Scottish teams?

Just got me wondering.

HibeesLA
13-03-2017, 07:54 PM
Not heard of light reflectors, but I know teams use the same type of grow lights that get used in other horticultural endeavors. Indeed, I think the main company that supplies them is from the Netherlands.
From what I remember, they use an immense amount of electricity to operate throughout the winter, and without the same amount of TV money coming in, Scottish clubs can't afford them.
Interesting to know if there is a cheaper alternative like the mirrors you mention.

Onceinawhile
13-03-2017, 07:54 PM
Think it's a combination of the growth lights and the amount of money spent when originally seeding or laying it.

c31
13-03-2017, 07:55 PM
Might tell you here http://www.chelseafc.com/fans/chelsea-pitch-owners.html

Great idea to stop anyone wanting to move the club for profit.

Billy Whizz
13-03-2017, 07:56 PM
Sitting here looking at the Chelsea field on tv and it's immaculate, you can't help but be impressed. Why are our fields so so bad in comparison? Is the upkeep really that much that we can't strive to have similar standards? It's not like the weather can be used as an excuse, it's similar there.

I know they use those big glass mirrors to reflect light to encourage grass growth, is that all it's really down to or is there more in it? Are the light reflectors that expensive that it's a complete no go for Scottish teams?

Just got me wondering.

A lot of the Scottish pitches this year are in poor condition. You have to remember that London is a lot further south than Edin/Glasgow, so doesn't get the same cold and wet weather we get. Then there's the amount of money they have to spend on their pitches as well.
Not exactly sure why our pitches are so bad this year, other than we didn't have much of a summer last year, so growth may have been poor

GreenCastle
13-03-2017, 07:59 PM
Cost..

Some hybrid pitches are £1 million plus to put down.

Plus the maintenance - cost of lights and running them.

Scottish Football infrastructure is poor - just look at the top league stadiums..some are desperate need of repair and upgrades.

3pm
13-03-2017, 08:02 PM
Went on the Arsenal tour a few months back.

They had a ridiculous number of they lamps plus a dedicated team wandering about on the pitch. Went to ER a few weeks back and we had one of those lamps and no ground staff on show.

It's just money IMO, they can just afford to do so much more.

California-Hibs
13-03-2017, 08:12 PM
Not heard of light reflectors, but I know teams use the same type of grow lights that get used in other horticultural endeavors. Indeed, I think the main company that supplies them is from the Netherlands.
From what I remember, they use an immense amount of electricity to operate throughout the winter, and without the same amount of TV money coming in, Scottish clubs can't afford them.
Interesting to know if there is a cheaper alternative like the mirrors you mention.

I'm probably getting it wrong and it's the grow lights I was thinking of

shetlandhibee
13-03-2017, 08:16 PM
:top marks
A lot of the Scottish pitches this year are in poor condition. You have to remember that London is a lot further south than Edin/Glasgow, so doesn't get the same cold and wet weather we get. Then there's the amount of money they have to spend on their pitches as well.
Not exactly sure why our pitches are so bad this year, other than we didn't have much of a summer last year, so growth may have been poor
farther south you go the better the grass grows:agree:

blackpoolhibs
13-03-2017, 08:21 PM

Correct, this is Blackpool's pitch last season. :greengrin 18210

Billy Whizz
13-03-2017, 08:23 PM
Correct, this is Blackpool's pitch last season. :greengrin 18210

That's West not South😄

Lancs Harp
13-03-2017, 08:42 PM
And for several months of the year Blackpool is Scotland.

Newports pitch takes the accolade this season bringing Wales into the equation.

tamig
13-03-2017, 09:27 PM
And for several months of the year Blackpool is Scotland.

Newports pitch takes the accolade this season bringing Wales into the equation.

Could that not be blamed on Butcher though? A legacy of his time there.

seanshow
13-03-2017, 10:07 PM
I know Motherwell has a rack of those growing lights as well their pitch is good atm, but i'm speculating the lights may just be getting shared round or hired by some Scottish clubs, again due to cost.

beensaidbefore
13-03-2017, 10:14 PM

Don't know what the fuss is. My mate says it's easy to grow... 😉

hibs0666
13-03-2017, 11:45 PM
I know Motherwell has a rack of those growing lights as well their pitch is good atm, but i'm speculating the lights may just be getting shared round or hired by some Scottish clubs, again due to cost.

Hibs have used the lights too.