PDA

View Full Version : Next Season

Dashing Bob S
11-03-2017, 06:10 PM
Don't want this to sound like chicken-counting, and I'm no skoosher, but I'm now convinced that we'll go up as champions for the following reasons:

1. We won't have a disastrous folding like last season. Lennon has installed grit and a big occasion mentality at the club. Every unconvincing performance has been followed by a telling one when it really matters. Yes, we'll drop points against dross, but when the chips are down I'd fancy us in a head-to-head against the other pretenders to the crown.

2. They will take points of each other. Falkirk will need to be watched, but there's nobody convincing me that they are going on an unbeaten run till the end of the season.

3. Crucially, they are running out of games.

I think Lennon will be very busy in the summer, both home and abroad, looking at players he wants to bring in for the Premier campaign. I think he'll add more pace and even more steel to the side. Sadly, I think some more of our cup heroes will be on their way out. Not going to name names as it feels a little dirty- those men are gods to me.

But I expect we'll really a Lenny rather than Stubbsy side. He'll want a top four finish and to be ahead of Hearts.

Mr White
11-03-2017, 06:19 PM
The opposition taking points off each other is key for me. We'll finish top by more than 10 points, I'm quite confident of that now.

As for next season... I don't feel qualified to look that far ahead at the moment :greengrin

bingo70
11-03-2017, 06:19 PM
Don't want this to sound like chicken-counting, and I'm no skoosher, but I'm now convinced that we'll go up as champions for the following reasons:

1. We won't have a disastrous folding like last season. Lennon has installed grit and a big occasion mentality at the club. Every unconvincing performance has been followed by a telling one when it really matters. Yes, we'll drop points against dross, but when the chips are down I'd fancy us in a head-to-head against the other pretenders to the crown.

2. They will take points of each other. Falkirk will need to be watched, but there's nobody convincing me that they are going on an unbeaten run till the end of the season.

3. Crucially, they are running out of games.

I think Lennon will be very busy in the summer, both home and abroad, looking at players he wants to bring in for the Premier campaign. I think he'll add more pace and even more steel to the side. Sadly, I think some more of our cup heroes will be on their way out. Not going to name names as it feels a little dirty- those men are gods to me.

But I expect we'll really a Lenny rather than Stubbsy side. He'll want a top four finish and to be ahead of Hearts.

I think we'll sell McGinn and Cummings for a very good price. I think we've been lucky to keep both for so long in this league and it's testament to their attitude they've not angled for a move or created a fuss about moving to a higher level. I think if they feel it's time to move on and we get good offers which I think we're bound to it's only fair we're not difficult to deal with and help them get a good move.

With no debt or infrastructure to pay for that windfall could potentially go a long way, in wages, I know we're not about to spend millions on players, so I think it could be a very very exciting summer if we go up.

Dashing Bob S
11-03-2017, 06:26 PM
I think we'll sell McGinn and Cummings for a very good price. I think we've been lucky to keep both for so long in this league and it's testament to their attitude they've not angled for a move or created a fuss about moving to a higher level. I think if they feel it's time to move on and we get good offers which I think we're bound to it's only fair we're not difficult to deal with and help them get a good move.

With no debt or infrastructure to pay for that windfall could potentially go a long way, in wages, I know we're not about to spend millions on players, so I think it could be a very very exciting summer if we go up.

I think both will stay for at least part of the next campaign. Their value will only go up with an effective premier season or half-season. I could see them going in January window or next summer, but not sure about this close season.

11-03-2017, 06:30 PM
I think McGinn enjoys playing for us too much to engineer a move too early. He'll have a season in the premiership with a club and support he adores and I'd hope he'll sign a new contract to ensure we get some cash. He will forever be a legend at Hibs and I suspect he is too intelligent to taint that.

Cummings is probably a different story.

JohnMcM
11-03-2017, 06:42 PM
Speaking of next season, what length of contract is our manager on?

hibee_girl
11-03-2017, 06:43 PM
Speaking of next season, what length of contract is our manager on?

He signed a 2 year deal

CockneyRebel
11-03-2017, 06:47 PM
I think McGinn enjoys playing for us too much to engineer a move too early. He'll have a season in the premiership with a club and support he adores and I'd hope he'll sign a new contract to ensure we get some cash. He will forever be a legend at Hibs and I suspect he is too intelligent to taint that.

Cummings is probably a different story.

If we go up -
I think (hope more than think) that both will stay another season giving us time to see if Ollie Shaw and his pals can make the step up and save us having to sell which would mean holding out for the best price/move/outcome for all concerned. Much will depend on how much they want to move/stay a bit longer.

CMurdoch
11-03-2017, 06:52 PM
I think both will stay for at least part of the next campaign. Their value will only go up with an effective premier season or half-season. I could see them going in January window or next summer, but not sure about this close season.

I agree with this.
Both will be in the shop window and will continue to do the business and enhance their prospects of a quality move (McGinn probably to Celtic and Cummings to the English Championship)

Jones28
11-03-2017, 06:53 PM
I wonder if we will offer McGinn a new deal when we go back up - more money etc to try and either get more for him when selling or keep him for a bit longer.

DavidDavidGray
11-03-2017, 07:25 PM
Call me stupid but I feel we can get another season out of this squad, maybe even 2 if we're lucky. Don't think Lennon will sell McGinn and Cummings in the same season as both would be very hard to replace. As for next season, feel we could manage top 4 if we go up

Billy Whizz
11-03-2017, 07:30 PM
Call me stupid but I feel we can get another season out of this squad, maybe even 2 if we're lucky. Don't think Lennon will sell McGinn and Cummings in the same season as both would be very hard to replace. As for next season, feel we could manage top 4 if we go up

I think we've got the bones of a decent squad, but next season we'll be playing better teams week in week out, so quality additions will be necessary

yonder1875
11-03-2017, 07:31 PM
Maybe David Moyes was having a look at these guys last night for Sunderland in prep for the English championship for them.

blackpoolhibs
11-03-2017, 07:38 PM
I think we need quite a few new players, we certainly need a centre forward who can score more than 3 goals a season to play alongside Cummings should he stay.

We also need players who don't take the next 2 games off because they have just played Hearts and are physically knackered. We need players who can play at that level every week, as we will hopefully have 4 of them type games, along with 4 against the dons and 8 against the bigots.

More creativity in midfield, proper width with pace and more skill than Boyle, and maybe even a couple of fullbacks to at least challenge those there and hopefully better than we currently have.

As Bob says, the cup winning side will gradually be broken up, players leaving and players being replaced, Lennon will hopefully replace them who do leave with better.

Unseen work
11-03-2017, 07:41 PM
Can see us going for

Gary McKay Steven
Miles Storey
Boyce

stoneyburn hibs
11-03-2017, 07:42 PM
I'd like to think that any offers for our players would have to be substantial but it's gonna be gutting when SJM does eventually go. Be great if at the very least he plays one full season in the top league for us.

yonder1875
11-03-2017, 07:47 PM
Can see us going for

Gary McKay Steven
Miles Storey
Boyce

GMS would be great - we've been crying out for a left footed wide player for years!

B.H.F.C
11-03-2017, 07:51 PM
I think we will need to change things about quite a bit next year.

Cummings is arguably the only striker worth retaining, if we can. Holt is doing a good job for us at the moment but I think he was brought in to do a specific job which is to help us get promoted. I'm not convinced he'll be here longer term. The likes of Keatings and Graham can't get a regular game in this league so they're not going to help us make the step up.

I think there could be a few surprise departures. I don't think Lennon really fancies McGeough as a player. Fyvie seems to have fallen out of favour and his contract is up.

Priority for me would be getting Marciano signed if possible. McGregor as well.

Could be a busy summer. We

hibee-boys
11-03-2017, 08:03 PM
How long has Mcginn got left on his contract? I'd imagine he'll be offered a new contract, if it's not signed he'll be sold, we can't afford to run down contracts on a player like him. No rush to sell cummings given his recent contract extension however any offer in region of £2million would have to be seriously considered.

Hibernia&Alba
11-03-2017, 08:38 PM
If we are promoted, next season's target should be to challenge Sevco, Aberdeen and Hearts for second. Those sides aren't great, and we should be ambitious. It's achievable.

Billy Whizz
11-03-2017, 08:41 PM
Interestingly enough 14 of last nights 18 man squad was Scottish, 2 from England and 2 from overseas. Would like to keep the hub of the team British

Dashing Bob S
11-03-2017, 08:45 PM
Interestingly enough 14 of last nights 18 man squad was Scottish, 2 from England and 2 from overseas. Would like to keep the hub of the team British

Couldn't care where they come from as long as they can play. It would great if we had local youngsters coming through, but ther passport doesn't interest me at all.

Billy Whizz
11-03-2017, 08:47 PM
Couldn't care where they come from as long as they can play. It would great if we had local youngsters coming through, but ther passport doesn't interest me at all.

Maybe doesn't interest you, but Hearts thought this was the way to go in January, and look what's happened to them.

ancient hibee
11-03-2017, 08:52 PM

I think this is nonsense.The first thing to do is cement our place in the league.We won't do that by immediately getting rid of our most valuable players.A good start is essential and won't be achieved by bringing in inferior players.The values of our best players will be increased by good performances in the top league.This league is not rated and rightly so.

Lancs Harp
11-03-2017, 09:07 PM
To a certain degree the likes of SJM and Jase staying is out of our hands. If bertie big bollux from down south comes in waving the sterling about then they will be off, as simple as that. Club will take the money, players will take the money and want to move on. Thats life I'm afraid.

Personally I dont think SJM has been as effective this season as he was last season, not saying he's lost it but I think his progress has slowed this season. I agree Lennon will rebuild to a certain degree this summer. I would be very surprised to see both Cummins and McGinn here next season, perhaps one but if I was betting my pound neither will be here next september but things move on as the always have, the difference now is we have an infra structure at the club driven to improve the team and that will happen IMO no mattter who leaves in the summer.

Ozyhibby
11-03-2017, 09:12 PM

Agree. We should be looking at the best young Scottish talent coming through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hibs#1
11-03-2017, 09:20 PM
GMS would be great - we've been crying out for a left footed wide player for years!

All the Celtic fans I know think he's crap
Personally think he's quite good and I'd take him

To be fair the Celtic fans I know have weird opinions on players and performances.one told me last week he didn't rate lustig.

Forza Fred
11-03-2017, 09:21 PM
If we are promoted, next season's target should be to challenge Sevco, Aberdeen and Hearts for second. Those sides aren't great, and we should be ambitious. It's achievable.

I'll wait and see what kind of squad we end up with IF we do go up.

Certainly , once you take out loan players, those who will want away, those who are nearing the end of their careers etc, the squad we end up with will almost be unrecognisable to the current one.

Starting again time next season if promoted, I think.

Is It On....
11-03-2017, 09:52 PM
Rocky - perm contract please
Defence - ok
Midfield - need someone who can chip in a few goals
Striker - Need someone to score a few to complement JC

Dashing Bob S
11-03-2017, 09:59 PM
Maybe doesn't interest you, but Hearts thought this was the way to go in January, and look what's happened to them.

That's down to the quality of the player and their mercenary temperament, not the letters on their passport.

Tyler Durden
11-03-2017, 10:06 PM
I'll wait and see what kind of squad we end up with IF we do go up.

Certainly , once you take out loan players, those who will want away, those who are nearing the end of their careers etc, the squad we end up with will almost be unrecognisable to the current one.

Starting again time next season if promoted, I think.

I disagree. I think most of the players who win us this league will be rewarded with new deals. Gray, McGregor, Fyvie, Bartley, Boyle, maybe even Fontaine and Keatings.

I'd be quite happy with that, they're all good enough and a solid core of the squad.

We then need more creativity i.e. Hendo type plus a left back and at least one striker. Wouldn't surprise me to see us sign Commons

matty_f
11-03-2017, 10:42 PM

Don't think we're quite top 4 level at the moment, as evidenced with draws against Raith, Ayr and defeat to St Mirren in the last few weeks.

We're not a million miles off it though, a couple of astute additions over the summer and we'll look better.

jacomo
11-03-2017, 11:03 PM
Agree. We should be looking at the best young Scottish talent coming through.

This is the way to go.

It's what Graeme Mathie is here for, right?

CMurdoch
11-03-2017, 11:25 PM
Think we should realistically be looking at 4th next season.
1st Celtic - too good. Will win league by 20 points
2nd Rangers - will improve a wee bit by throwing some money at the problem
3rd Aberdeen - will stay strong if they hold onto their better players and add a little more quality over the summer
4th Hibs - have beaten Hearts over two games this season and will have more money than Hearts to improve the team given they have a new stand to pay for.

Would like to see Hibs try to make permanent deals for Marciano, Ambrose & Shinnie
Resign McGregor & Fyvie
Will need a striker to replace Holt, possibly Boyce or Moult
and that is just for starters.

Should sign Mallen from St Mirren
GMS is too inconsistant and is still contracted to Celtic, Commons too old, not fit enough and would want more cash than he is worth
Who else should we sign, keep etc?

California-Hibs
12-03-2017, 04:26 AM

Just because it's happened to them doesn't mean that's a marker for a general rule. Plenty of teams out there would prove your point otherwise. I don't care where they're from at all as long as they're a high standard and improve the team.

lyonhibs
12-03-2017, 04:57 AM
I'll be waiting until we're mathematically assured of promotion before wondering about next season.

My fantasy SPL signing for Hibs would be Johnny Hayes though. Quality wee player.

Ozyhibby
12-03-2017, 06:08 AM
Think we should realistically be looking at 4th next season.
1st Celtic - too good. Will win league by 20 points
2nd Rangers - will improve a wee bit by throwing some money at the problem
3rd Aberdeen - will stay strong if they hold onto their better players and add a little more quality over the summer
4th Hibs - have beaten Hearts over two games this season and will have more money than Hearts to improve the team given they have a new stand to pay for.

Would like to see Hibs try to make permanent deals for Marciano, Ambrose & Shinnie
Resign McGregor & Fyvie
Will need a striker to replace Holt, possibly Boyce or Moult
and that is just for starters.

Should sign Mallen from St Mirren
GMS is too inconsistant and is still contracted to Celtic, Commons too old, not fit enough and would want more cash than he is worth
Who else should we sign, keep etc?

Stevie May? Not sure if he is fit yet but not playing just now and only 24. Knows where the back of the net is.

Ozyhibby
12-03-2017, 06:18 AM
Just because it's happened to them doesn't mean that's a marker for a general rule. Plenty of teams out there would prove your point otherwise. I don't care where they're from at all as long as they're a high standard and improve the team.

It's not about where they are from or what is on their passports etc, it's about making sure that they are properly scouted to match our needs. As it is we can't afford an extensive European scouting network so we should work in the market we know. That means players like Mallan at St. Mirren, Stevie May, maybe Devlin at accies etc. It may involve paying small fees but the rewards can be great as the case of McGinn shows.
Foreign players can still come in on trial etc but we should only be looking to bring in exceptional players from abroad. To me, Marciano fits that bill.

bingo70
12-03-2017, 06:23 AM
Everyone talking about SJM and JC staying are doing so from hibs perspective.

A club from down south coming in for them would likely to be able to increase their wage around 5 or 10 fold, of course their head would be turned. They would then need to ask what benefits there'd be to stay at hibs, they've already won the cup, achieved promotion (hypothetical question at this stage) and played in Europe. Would a season of scrapping for a top 6 or European place excite them or increase their profile any down south? I doubt it. What if they don't have a good season?

If I was them and had ambitions of playing down south this summer would be the time to do it imo.

I'd rather they stayed of course but a big part of how this club moves forward is knowing when to sell the best players and reinvesting it properly.

Heisenberg
12-03-2017, 06:28 AM
David Moyes was at the game on Friday. Can't think he'd be there to watch any United players. I think, IF we seal promotion, the chances of Cummings/McGinn leaving would be quite high. They will have won the cup and taken us back to the top league, they might see it as the ideal time to move when their stock is high. We've no chance if an English club comes in with a ridiculous bid.

Ozyhibby
12-03-2017, 06:52 AM
I'm almost certain we will lose McGinn in the summer. With two years left on his deal it's the ideal time to sell. We may be able to keep Cummings an extra year but of course being a striker, there are likely to be offers we can't turn down.
It's how we invest the money thats important.

Ilovehibs
12-03-2017, 06:58 AM
David Moyes was at the game on Friday. Can't think he'd be there to watch any United players. I think, IF we seal promotion, the chances of Cummings/McGinn leaving would be quite high. They will have won the cup and taken us back to the top league, they might see it as the ideal time to move when their stock is high. We've no chance if an English club comes in with a ridiculous bid.

Agree with you and it will be a big wrench when these lads leave us but hopefully when the time comes it will be like you say- for big big money to go down south. That will lessen the blow if used wisely.

Greenworld
12-03-2017, 07:05 AM
Chinese clubs might fancy Cummings for 6 million sweeties to them 😆

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

bingo70
12-03-2017, 07:16 AM

If someone like Sunderland came in with a bid for the both of them I wonder if the transfer fees would be manipulated to reduce the amount being paid to St Mirren for mcginns sell on clause. For example if he bid was £4m if we then said it was 3.9m for Cummings and 0.1k for McGinn?

I'd actually be pretty dissapointed if hibs were to pull a manoeuvre like that as it wouldn't be in the spirit of the deal agreed with them but I wonder if that would be something hibs considered?

J-C
12-03-2017, 07:21 AM
I think we'll need 5-6 players next season, there's a good few out of contract and have shown over the course of the season to not being good enough. We've had far too many poor games which can't happen next season, Lennon will have ambition and milling around 7-8th in the table won't be one of them, he'll be looking to challenge 2nd spot at least.

I can see McGregor, Gray, Stevenson and possibly Bartley(his strength in midfield might be needed) getting new deals, with Keatings, Fyvie(out of favour) and Fontaine getting released. unsure what will happen with McGeouch, he's a much needed player who's tempo and forward thinking is needed, it's whether Lennon trusts him to get fit enough.

I also feel we need to start believing in a few of our younger players, I'd be tempted to give a starting spot to Martin, he's never let us down when he's played but Crane may move as he might not want to wait another year for his chance.

I'd like us to get Moult, he's scored 11 goals in a poor Motherwell team, I'd also like to see GMS come in, tricky player who can play on either wing.

Eyrie
12-03-2017, 12:28 PM
If someone like Sunderland came in with a bid for the both of them I wonder if the transfer fees would be manipulated to reduce the amount being paid to St Mirren for mcginns sell on clause. For example if he bid was £4m if we then said it was 3.9m for Cummings and 0.1k for McGinn?

I'd actually be pretty dissapointed if hibs were to pull a manoeuvre like that as it wouldn't be in the spirit of the deal agreed with them but I wonder if that would be something hibs considered?

I'd hope we wouldn't stoop to that level either.

However we can expect the cash-rich English clubs to pay more than Celtc for McGinn (only realistic destination up here) so the extra cash will go a fair way to covering St Mirren's share.

Dashing Bob S
12-03-2017, 12:34 PM
I think we'll need 5-6 players next season, there's a good few out of contract and have shown over the course of the season to not being good enough. We've had far too many poor games which can't happen next season, Lennon will have ambition and milling around 7-8th in the table won't be one of them, he'll be looking to challenge 2nd spot at least.

I can see McGregor, Gray, Stevenson and possibly Bartley(his strength in midfield might be needed) getting new deals, with Keatings, Fyvie(out of favour) and Fontaine getting released. unsure what will happen with McGeouch, he's a much needed player who's tempo and forward thinking is needed, it's whether Lennon trusts him to get fit enough.

I also feel we need to start believing in a few of our younger players, I'd be tempted to give a stating spot to Martin, he's never let us down when he's played but Crane may move as he might not want to wait another year for his chance.

I'd like us to get Moult, he's scored 11 goals in a poor Motherwell team, I'd also like to see GMS come in, tricky player who can play on either wing.

All of this is sensible and saves much of what I was about to post so thank you for that.

CMurdoch
12-03-2017, 01:34 PM
Stevie May? Not sure if he is fit yet but not playing just now and only 24. Knows where the back of the net is.

That is the route Aberdeen took.
Signed up players who did well in Scotland who were transferred to England and for whatever reason hadn't hacked it there e.g. Reynolds, Rooney etc
and combined that with the signing of good players for small fees from other SPL clubs e.g. Hayes, McLean, Shinnie etc
Plus good quality loanees e.g. maddison
Think we will use the same model by signing the likes of May, Moult, Devlin, Mallen, Boyce etc

Speedy
12-03-2017, 01:51 PM

I don't think we could do that even if we wanted to.

heretoday
12-03-2017, 02:04 PM
I think we've got the bones of a decent squad, but next season we'll be playing better teams week in week out, so quality additions will be necessary

Absolutely. We are not the finished article.

biotech
12-03-2017, 02:13 PM
If we win the league early, we can "blood" some of the young boys like Shaw.

jacomo
12-03-2017, 02:14 PM
I'm almost certain we will lose McGinn in the summer. With two years left on his deal it's the ideal time to sell. We may be able to keep Cummings an extra year but of course being a striker, there are likely to be offers we can't turn down.
It's how we invest the money thats important.

We can't control what offers are made for our players, and in the case of these two it is certainly possible that both will be away. If so, it will be a major rebuilding job.

Overall though this is a good squad of players. If we can hold on to most of them we will be in good shape.

Jim44
12-03-2017, 02:18 PM

If we get promotion, I would be more than satisfied with a top six finish. Top four would be a very good achievement.

Hibernia&Alba
12-03-2017, 02:21 PM
If we get promotion, I would be more than satisfied with a top six finish. Top four would be a very good achievement.

Looking at the teams in the SPL, I really think that, with a couple of astute signings, we could compete with anyone but Celtic over the season. There's a lot of mediocrity in the SPL. We mightn't be able to make second, but that should be the target at the start of the season.

J-C
12-03-2017, 02:44 PM
Looking at the teams in the SPL, I really think that, with a couple of astute signings, we could compete with anyone but Celtic over the season. There's a lot of mediocrity in the SPL. We mightn't be able to make second, but that should be the target at the start of the season.

I watched a very average Rangers take a point off Celtic today, good team but not invincible, too many teams run scared of Celtic instead of having a go.

The Modfather
12-03-2017, 03:45 PM
We have the core of a good first team in:

Marciano (if we can keep him)
Gray & Stevenson (if asked to play as defenders, but think we could still improve both full back areas)
Hanlon & Mcgregor
McGinn & Bartley (although still need to add goals from central midfield)
Cummings

Don't think the wider squad is anywhere near good enough for the moment never mind next season as has been shown by our lack of goals for the 3rd season in a row and lots of poor performances.

Would keep Fyvie, Fontaine & Forster as squad players if they weren't taking up too much of the budget.

The likes of Keatings, Graham, Harris, Shinnie, Humphries are either poor or not consistent enough.

Would also let Boyle and Holt go. Think we need both those type of players but think we also need better. Final ball in Boyle's case and goals in Holts.

I also wouldn't factor Mcgeough into my thinking for next season. Don't think anyone else would take him because of his injury record. So wouldn't factor him into my squad, and if he is here the 10 - 15 games or so he is available is a bonus.

All IMO opinion of course.

hibs#1
12-03-2017, 04:07 PM
Moyes apparently watching ambrose on Friday night.

Jim44
12-03-2017, 04:29 PM
Moyes apparently watching ambrose on Friday night.

That's no surprise and I think we would be very fortunate to hold on to him beyond May. I think we only got him because of registration technicalities down south, but, you never know though, he might just 'get' what we are and where we're going and give it a spin for another year in the Scottish Premiership.

StevieCowan
12-03-2017, 04:42 PM
Zero chance of keeping Ambrose. He'll easily get a move to England at the end of the season.

greenlex
12-03-2017, 04:56 PM
We should be trying to get Ambrise in permanently. He is on record as saying he wants to stay in Scotland.

ForeverHibs93
12-03-2017, 05:31 PM
We should be trying to get Ambrise in permanently. He is on record as saying he wants to stay in Scotland.

Could we even dream of affording him? I dread to think the wages he's on!

we are hibs
12-03-2017, 05:41 PM
I think we need quite a few new players, we certainly need a centre forward who can score more than 3 goals a season to play alongside Cummings should he stay.

We also need players who don't take the next 2 games off because they have just played Hearts and are physically knackered. We need players who can play at that level every week, as we will hopefully have 4 of them type games, along with 4 against the dons and 8 against the bigots.

More creativity in midfield, proper width with pace and more skill than Boyle, and maybe even a couple of fullbacks to at least challenge those there and hopefully better than we currently have.

As Bob says, the cup winning side will gradually be broken up, players leaving and players being replaced, Lennon will hopefully replace them who do leave with better.

Yours and constant digs at holt In general amongst some hibs fans is getting boring now. You don't like him, we get it. He does a job. He will have helped us get up. No need to constantly slate the guy.

greenlex
12-03-2017, 05:42 PM
Could we even dream of affording him? I dread to think the wages he's on!If he wants to stay in Scotland he will need to cut his cloth. He wont be going to Rangers.

J-C
12-03-2017, 06:12 PM
Yours and constant digs at holt In general amongst some hibs fans is getting boring now. You don't like him, we get it. He does a job. He will have helped us get up. No need to constantly slate the guy.

He does have a point though, as much as I love Holt and what he does by getting stuck in and creating space for others, we do need someone who can help out goal wise, 3 goals for the season is still a shocking stat for someone with his pedigree.

blackpoolhibs
12-03-2017, 07:17 PM

Away and bile yer heid, while i think he'd been poor, Holt has been good recently, i have said it many times. :confused:

If Cummings stays we need to score more goals throughout the team, and especially up front from whoever plays with him.

If Cummings goes, i dread to think where the goals will come from, obviously Cummings would be replaced, i hope if he does go he's replaced with someone who scores more goals than Holt does, irrespective of how he plays.

Still Smiling
12-03-2017, 08:31 PM
Missed Holt at St Mirren. Should start every game in Championship.

Ozyhibby
13-03-2017, 04:19 AM
Another player we should look at is Sibbald. Out of contract in the summer much like McGinn was so only a development fee to pay. I realise there may be bigger money on offer for him now but he is def one we should be looking at. Still only 21 with 177 games under his belt.

J-C
13-03-2017, 06:18 AM
Another player we should look at is Sibbald. Out of contract in the summer much like McGinn was so only a development fee to pay. I realise there may be bigger money on offer for him now but he is def one we should be looking at. Still only 21 with 177 games under his belt.

I was thinking of him as well, good technique and one of those players you hate when he plays against you but would want in your team, scores a fare few goals too.

lord bunberry
13-03-2017, 06:22 AM
Maybe it's the players win bonus that's going to be doubled? I very much doubt that their full wage would double.

worcesterhibby
13-03-2017, 08:51 AM
Goalkeepers

Marciano - Do everything we can to sign him permanently
Laid law - keep him..good back up keeper, has never let us down.

Defenders

Gray - Keep
Hanlon - keep
McGregor - Keep
Stevenson - Keep
Forster - Gone - hmmm..I really like Jordan but do worry about his injury record.
Fontaine - KEEP - Can we get a better defender who is likely to be mostly a back up player if Hanlon and McGregor are fit ? I doubt it.
Ambrose -GONE - If we can keep him it would be great...but I doubt we can afford the wages.
Mclean - GONE - Won't be here next season
Crane - KEEP - Be good to see him pushing Louis for a place.

Midfielders

Bartley - KEEP - Will be needed next season has played very well in virtually all our matches against SPL opposition
Mcginn - KEEP - One more season before you go please...
Fyvie - KEEP - I really like Fraser, but we need to bring in someone who will score goals from midfield, he may be one of the ones to go, I hope not.
Shinnie - KEEP - I really think Shinnie is just getting properly into his stride for Hibs..could be a big player for us next season - 10 goals from midfield is my prediction !
McGeouch - GONE - we are never going to get more than 12-15 games a season from him..I would let him go sadly
Humphrey - GONE ? - I really can't judge him on what we have had so far ??? god knows !
Harris - GONE - will be gone
Martin - KEEP - think he will stay and play more of a part next year.

Strikers

Cummings - KEEP - Please stay
Holt - Gone - Has done a tremendous job this season, but we need strikers who score goals in the SPL
Keatings - Gone - too inconsistent and if he isn't a first choice in the Champs he won't be in the SPL
Graham - Gone - I thought he was going to flourish, he hasn't
Boyle - Keep - he needs to improve delivery and finishing, but we NEED the pace.
Handling Keep - I suspect we will get rid of we can but his long contract may mean he stays and surprises us !

If I am correct then we have the following spaces up for grabs

2 good defenders (3 gone but two are short term loans) - One needs to be a right back who can cross the other needs to be a utility defender who can play central or as a full back (Gunnerson would be ideal !)

2/3 Midfielders - I suspect Lennon will want a back up enforcer if Marvin get's injured and will be desperate to find a goalscoring midfielder like Commons - if no English clubs he fancy come in for him..Commons may join us next season.

2/3 forwards - One will definitely be a big man, Lennon obviously feels we need this and may look at experienced English players again, another needs to be an out and out finisher, penalty box player.

Over all a lot will depend if we can get all those we want out to another club...it is, after all, a lot easier to move on your best players than your worst !

Ozyhibby
13-03-2017, 09:34 AM
Rather than keep Fontaine I would like to see us go for a younger centre back to challenge McGregor and Hanlon. Someone like Devlin from Hamilton accies.

Borderhibbie76
13-03-2017, 01:59 PM
We have the core of a good first team in:

Marciano (if we can keep him)
Gray & Stevenson (if asked to play as defenders, but think we could still improve both full back areas)
Hanlon & Mcgregor
McGinn & Bartley (although still need to add goals from central midfield)
Cummings

Don't think the wider squad is anywhere near good enough for the moment never mind next season as has been shown by our lack of goals for the 3rd season in a row and lots of poor performances.

Would keep Fyvie, Fontaine & Forster as squad players if they weren't taking up too much of the budget.

The likes of Keatings, Graham, Harris, Shinnie, Humphries are either poor or not consistent enough.

Would also let Boyle and Holt go. Think we need both those type of players but think we also need better. Final ball in Boyle's case and goals in Holts.

I also wouldn't factor Mcgeough into my thinking for next season. Don't think anyone else would take him because of his injury record. So wouldn't factor him into my squad, and if he is here the 10 - 15 games or so he is available is a bonus.

All IMO opinion of course.
I'd be keeping shinnie over fyvie....if we keep Bartley we don't need Fyvie imo

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

J-C
13-03-2017, 03:20 PM
I'd be keeping shinnie over fyvie....if we keep Bartley we don't need Fyvie imo

Yep, Fyvie has been pretty poor recently, I still don't think he's a DM and he's not really an attacking mid, I'd personally get rid and bring in someone else, very inconsistent, just my opinion.

Borderhibbie76
13-03-2017, 03:28 PM
Yep, Fyvie has been pretty poor recently, I still don't think he's a DM and he's not really an attacking mid, I'd personally get rid and bring in someone else, very inconsistent, just my opinion.
Yep I agree mate not as effective a DM as Bartley and offers pretty much zero going forward

CallumLaidlaw
13-03-2017, 03:29 PM

I'm starting to get to that point. I have been a huge fan of FF. I thought ha was a big miss when injured last season and earlier this season, but the more I've looked at it, I think we'd be better with a different option. As you say, he isn't as good a defensive midfielder as MB, and doesn't really offer much going forward. He scored twice for us in his first 7 games, and hasn't scored since. 44 games later. Bartley and Fyvie can't seem to play in the same team.

The summer will certainly be interesting.

J-C
13-03-2017, 03:55 PM
There's a reason players like Fyvie, Dylan, Shinnie, Allen have come to Hibs this past couple of years, either inconsistency, injury prone or just haven't developed as much as expected. If they were better they wouldn't be with us in the championship, they'd still be at bigger clubs in bigger leagues, we need to recruit better to push top 4 next season.

NORTHERNHIBBY
13-03-2017, 09:22 PM

But did he not all but sign for Blackburn Rovers?

CMurdoch
13-03-2017, 09:44 PM

Blackburn were desperate to get players in.
I don't think they will go for him in the summer.
However, I suspect his agent will be touting him about English Championship clubs in the hope of netting another lucrative contract.

greenlex
13-03-2017, 11:04 PM

On loan.

NAE NOOKIE
13-03-2017, 11:31 PM
If we go up we definitely need to add some quality ..... we need goals from midfield and a striker who can take some of the pressure off Cummings, NL has tried to add pace to the squad and I think he will be looking to do that for sure if we are in the top league next season.

I have seen Gary McKay Steven mentioned a lot ... there's no doubt the guy has both pace and ability, what bothers me about him is that from what I've seen he has the heart of a marshmallow, one decent challenge usually puts him into hiding for the rest of the game.

ian cruise
14-03-2017, 02:55 AM

Fyvie is a good player who has added a, lot to the team, he's just going through a bad run of form just now, it happens. I'd not be dumping any time soon, he's a great option on his day and has been very good for us up till now. All players can have a bad patch, just look at JC earlier in the season and where would we be if we hadn't kept the faith in him?