PDA

View Full Version : Hibs not from Leith?

Peevemor
11-03-2017, 06:08 PM
http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/1_MAP/1_map_edinburgh_1915_edinburgh_north-east_large.htm#start

Above is a link to a 1915 map clearly showing the boundary between Edinburgh and Leith (the two became one in 1920).

You can clearly see the location of the stadium.

Diclonius
11-03-2017, 06:20 PM
Isn't half the stadium in Leith and half in Edinburgh?

danhibees1875
11-03-2017, 06:22 PM
Did we not originally play our games in the meadows?

Leith Green
11-03-2017, 06:25 PM
The football club comes from edinburgh. easter rd stadium is in leith

Peevemor
11-03-2017, 06:25 PM
Isn't half the stadium in Leith and half in Edinburgh?
Not according to the old maps that I've seen.

Smartie
11-03-2017, 06:28 PM
Don't listen to them, don't give them the satisfaction of knowing that you're even thinking about it.

You'd be as well listening to your big brother telling you your parents hate you and that you're adopted anyway.

lyonhibs
11-03-2017, 06:30 PM
Where's the church in the Cowgate? There's your answer vis à vis where we're "from"

Peevemor
I think so - as did everyone at that time. I suppose the club's origins really lie in the Cowgate, but the stadium (for me the club's soul/home) was in Leith.

lapsedhibee
http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/1_MAP/1_map_edinburgh_1915_edinburgh_north-east_large.htm#start

Above is a link to a 1915 map clearly showing the boundary between Edinburgh and Leith (the two became one in 1920).

You can clearly see the location of the stadium.

Is that some sort of structure marked on the east terracing? (Did we have an asbestosdome 100 years ago?)

Peevemor
11-03-2017, 06:32 PM
Is that some sort of structure marked on the east terracing. (Did we have an asbestosdome 100 years ago?)
I think that was the original stand, before the old main stand was built in the 20s and the terracing was formalised.

Ask Jonnyboy, he'll remember.

lapsedhibee
11-03-2017, 06:39 PM
I think that was the original stand, before the old main stand was built in the 20s and the terracing was formalised.

Jonnyboy, did you take any pictures? I don't recall ever seeing a stand where the original east terrace was.

WHAM
11-03-2017, 07:12 PM
Looking at that map,Easter road (stadium) appears to be just within the Leith boundary (thick blue/red line).

Waxy
11-03-2017, 07:14 PM
St Marys street halls. That is where we were founded. The building still stands.

Jonnyboy
11-03-2017, 07:18 PM

:agree:

Jonnyboy, did you take any pictures? I don't recall ever seeing a stand where the original east terrace was.

Sadly, my box brownie was away for repair :greengrin

hibsbollah
11-03-2017, 07:28 PM
Little Ireland. Cowgate. Fact.

Kato
11-03-2017, 07:32 PM
St Marys street halls. That is where we were founded. The building still stands.

Exactly. The stadium as it stands now has been in both Leith and Edinburgh depending on historic shifts of the boundary.

Swedish hibee
11-03-2017, 07:34 PM
Leith Academy school used to be next to the ground.. So it's Leith for me!

Kato
11-03-2017, 07:36 PM

Yes, where the tennis courts are near Sciennes is reckoned to be where hibs had their traditional patch.:aok:

--------
11-03-2017, 07:45 PM
In Grant's 'Old and New Edinburgh', published by Cassell in the 1880's and considered a major source on the history of the city and its environs, the southern boundary of South Leith is set out as running along 'the north back of the Canongate ... through the gorge of Low Calton, and descends Leith Walk till nearly opposite the old manor house of Pilrig; it then runs westward to the water of Leith, and follows the latter downward to the Firth.
The parish thus includes, besides its landward district, the Calton Hill, parts of Calton and the Canongate, Abbeyhill, Norton Place, Jock's Lodge, Restalrig, and the whole of South Leith.'

That would certainly enclose the present site of Easter Road. So historically, Easter Road Stadium has always been in South Leith.

The big question is, what shape were the lamp-posts around the stadium before the old cast-iron ones were removed and replaced with the present modern type. This is because the Town Council of the Port of Leith erected lamp-posts shaped like a bishop's crozier, like the one to the right of this old photo of the Foot of the Walk around 1914 -

http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/0_pcv_unidentified/0_post_card_views_unidentified_foot_of_leith_walk. jpg

The lamp-posts in the area covered by Edinburgh Corporation were different, like this one in the Canongate in the 1950's or early '60's -

http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/0_STREET/0_street_views_-_canongate_lamp_post_and_parked_cars.jpg

If anyone has old photos of Albion Road, Albion Place, or the old corrugated iron Main Stand around 1950, that would settle the question.

BUT - historically, ER has always been 'in Leith'. Politically, it may well be right on the boundary between the area controlled by Leith Town Council and that controlled by Edinburgh Corporation. Hibs' support has come from Leith and from a wide area including all parts of Edinburgh and the Lothians. My father-in-law came from Glasgow, and HE was a Hibee from way back.

But anyone who really knows anything about the city of Edinburgh KNOWS that HIBS CUMFAE LEITH.

END OF! as Bad Martini would say.

Peevemor
11-03-2017, 07:50 PM
The only point I'm trying to clarify is that Hibs play in what was Leith. Hibs took the cup back to Leith. We knocked the merricks out the cup 2 seasons in a row in Leith. Anyone that tries to say that we're not from Leith is talking pish. The proof is in the link in the opening post.

If the merricks are from Gorgie, then we're from Leith.

End of!

monarch
11-03-2017, 07:52 PM
Exactly. The stadium as it stands now has been in both Leith and Edinburgh depending on historic shifts of the boundary.
Agreed.
Prior to the amalgamation (takeover?) of Edinburgh/Leith the stadium was in Leith. Nowadays Leith is considered officially to be only the area covered by the EH6 postcode. The ground is in EH7 (Edinburgh)
Hawkhill Avenue is the boundary between EH6 and E7. It means St Clair Street, yards from the ground, is in Leith along with Tamsons Bar and The 4 in Hand.
Having said all that many people in Granton, Craigentinny, Lochend and Pilton consider themselves Leithers although they're outwith EH6.
Anyway "Sunshine on Edinburgh" doesn't have the same ring about it

--------
11-03-2017, 07:55 PM
Sorry - me again. I've always understood that the boundary between Edinburgh and Leith crossed the Walk at Pilrig, on the site of the former Boundary Bar - now regrettably under a new name, the City Limits, which however still conveys the message, Edinburgh that way, Leith THAT way. that's where people used to have to change trams, from the Edinburgh cable cars (similar to the ones in San Francisco) to the more modern and in every way superior Leith electric cars. In 1929, when Leith became part of the City of Edinburgh, the Edinburgh trams were converted to electric at the insistence of the Leith Town Council.

(These trams were REAL trams, double-deckers and built like ironclad battleships, and infinitely superior vehicles to the wee Hornby-Dublo that runs along Princes' Street these days.)

http://www.edinburghtrams.info/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/362_PS.353105041_large.jpg

And before anyone says anything, the official name of the colour was 'madder' and to travel on them was to fall in love with them immediately and forever.

--------
11-03-2017, 07:58 PM
The only point I'm trying to clarify is that Hibs play in what was Leith. Hibs took the cup back to Leith. We knocked the merricks out the cup 2 seasons in a row in Leith. Anyone that tries to say that we're not from Leith is talking pish. The proof is in the link in the opening post.

End of!

Absolutely. No one is arguing about that. Four generations of my family lived in Duke Street, just opposite the Academy. We all agreed - Leith is the pearl beyond price in the urban sprawl known as Edinburgh, and the Hibs cumfae Leith.

My whole family cannot be unanimously wrong.

Hillsidehibby
11-03-2017, 08:01 PM
Sorry - me again. I've always understood that the boundary between Edinburgh and Leith crossed the Walk at Pilrig, on the site of the former Boundary Bar - now regrettably under a new name, the City Limits, which however still conveys the message, Edinburgh that way, Leith THAT way. that's where people used to have to change trams, from the Edinburgh cable cars (similar to the ones in San Francisco) to the more modern and in every way superior Leith electric cars. In 1929, when Leith became part of the City of Edinburgh, the Edinburgh trams were converted to electric at the insistence of the Leith Town Council.

(These trams were REAL trams, double-deckers and built like ironclad battleships, and infinitely superior vehicles to the wee Hornby-Dublo that runs along Princes' Street these days.)

http://www.edinburghtrams.info/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/362_PS.353105041_large.jpg

And before anyone says anything, the official name of the colour was 'madder' and to travel on them was to fall in love with them immediately and forever.
Is it a myth that when people were drinking in the Boundary Bar they had to move over the brass line on the bar line to the Leith side to get 15 mins more drinking time?

lyonhibs
11-03-2017, 08:03 PM

End of!

Ah, apologies. I misinterpreted the thrust of your OP. Do we now, and indeed have we for a very long time, played and been of Leith?

Indubitably.

--------
11-03-2017, 08:06 PM
:agree:

Sadly, my box brownie was away for repair :greengrin

I thought you started with daguerreotypes, John? :devil:

Greencore
11-03-2017, 08:10 PM
So if we are from Leith and it was not apart of Edinburgh back in the day why do we have Edinburgh and Edinburgh castle on our badge? Should we not have Leith and a symbol of Leith instead?

CropleyWasGod
11-03-2017, 08:12 PM
So if we are from Leith and it was not apart of Edinburgh back in the day why do we have Edinburgh and Edinburgh castle on our badge? Should we not have Leith and a symbol of Leith instead?
We were formed in Edinburgh.

The ship represents Leith.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Saturday Boy
11-03-2017, 08:13 PM

Did you not wonder why we have a ship in the badge?

erin go bragh
11-03-2017, 08:15 PM
Is that some sort of structure marked on the east terracing? (Did we have an asbestosdome 100 years ago?)

I have a picture of a small stand dated 1914 on the east side of ER .
I got it from Pat Stantons mother many years ago but can't find it .

lord bunberry
11-03-2017, 08:24 PM
Is it a myth that when people were drinking in the Boundary Bar they had to move over the brass line on the bar line to the Leith side to get 15 mins more drinking time?
I think it was the other way round. You had to move to the Edinburgh side to drink longer.

--------
11-03-2017, 08:26 PM
We were formed in Edinburgh.

The ship represents Leith.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Yup. The Cowgate where St Patrick's Church stood was in Edinburgh; the early support mostly came partly from the South Side and Abbeyhill, and partly from Leith.

The castle signifies Edinburgh; the ship, the Port of Leith; and the harp, the Irish origins of the club's founders and early supporters.

I don't know what the ball on the top of the shield stands for ...

Peevemor
11-03-2017, 08:41 PM
Yup. The Cowgate where St Patrick's Church stood was in Edinburgh; the early support mostly came partly from the South Side and Abbeyhill, and partly from Leith.

The castle signifies Edinburgh; the ship, the Port of Leith; and the harp, the Irish origins of the club's founders and early supporters.

I don't know what the ball on the top of the shield stands for ...
Which, for me, makes the badge/crest absolutely perfect.

I remember when the current crest was first revealed, the club said there were originally 4 parts to the design but the Lord Lyon's office advised against this as a crest split into quarters usually represents a marriage or a union of some sort.

I wonder what the 4th element was. A football?

HIBERNIAN-0762
11-03-2017, 08:41 PM
Easter Road Stadium is an EH7 postcode which isn't Leith.

Just sayin like.

Peevemor
11-03-2017, 08:42 PM

Just sayin like.
You're missing the point.

The postcode system had yet to be introduced to Edinburgh and Leith when they were separate entities.

Just sayin' like.

--------
11-03-2017, 09:24 PM

I remember when the current crest was first revealed, the club said there were originally 4 parts to the design but the Lord Lyon's office advised against this as a crest split into quarters usually represents a marriage or a union of some sort.

Ah, it's a football! Of course! :greengrin

I think it was indeed a football. I think it was moved to the top of the shield according to the Lord Lyon's advice.

Forza Fred
11-03-2017, 09:43 PM
Leith Academy school used to be next to the ground.. So it's Leith for me!

When was this?

Growing up..and going to Leith Academy secondary, I was aware that Norton Park school backed on to ER....never heard when Leith Academy bordered the ground.....mind you, I was renowned scholar at school and didnae stare oot the windae said all day....sniff...

But seriously....when?

Forza Fred
11-03-2017, 09:47 PM

Just sayin like.

This. Is how I remember it too.

Always thought ER was just outside Leith, but that the Leith community embraced them as their own.

Nae big deal for me......even when it was proposed in Dougie Cromb's time we move to the outskirts of the city many years ago, the outcry was about moving from Easter Road and its surrounds...not about Leaving Leith if I recall

Lancs Harp
11-03-2017, 09:48 PM
Hibs from Edinburgh says so on the badge :wink:

Edinburgh is ours

:flag:

heretoday
11-03-2017, 09:50 PM
So it's Sunshine on Edinburgh then?

ColinNish
11-03-2017, 09:53 PM

Just sayin like.

Easter Road stadium isn't in Easter road either, if you're going to be pedantic about it. 😎

Bostonhibby
11-03-2017, 09:57 PM
Better than being the Midlothians, or in the heart of it wherever that is.

hibby6270
11-03-2017, 10:03 PM
When was this?

Growing up..and going to Leith Academy secondary, I was aware that Norton Park school backed on to ER....never heard when Leith Academy bordered the ground.....mind you, I was renowned scholar at school and didnae stare oot the windae said all day....sniff...

But seriously....when?

Norton Park school building became a Leith Academy annexe in the mid/late 70's, maybe early 80's. So technically, Leith Academy did for a while back on to Easter Road.
That all changed when the new Leith Academy school building was built at the foot of Easter Road/Lochend Road. Norton Park closed as a school and was partly demolished ahead of the ground redevelopment plans. The original Norton Park gates are still there in Albion Road next to what is now the ticket office and the gates lead into what is now the car park and reception area at the back of the current West stand.

MGmick
11-03-2017, 10:03 PM

Just under the spit as I recall.

Jack
11-03-2017, 10:15 PM
When was this?

But seriously....when?

Norton Park, now the business centre, joined Leith Academy in or around 1973. I was in Leithy 3rd or 4th year at the time.

I think going back centuries even the Cowgate was considered part of Leith and all the bits and bobs that were considered Leith. It was certainly outside the Edinburgh walls.

Once Leith regains its status as an independent entity from Edinburgh we will reclaim Hibs as part of the revolution.

Anyone disagreeing will be first against the wall!

wookie70
11-03-2017, 10:18 PM
This map is from 1898 (http://maps.nls.uk/view/117745107) so only a few years after we moved to Easter Road. Lots of Historical Maps here (http://maps.nls.uk/towns/index.html#edinburgh-city)

Swedish hibee
11-03-2017, 10:32 PM
When was this?

But seriously....when?

The 80s for sure. You went there for the first 2 years of high school then onto the building on Duke Street for the rest.

Bostonhibby
11-03-2017, 10:37 PM
Just under the spit as I recall.
Hibs are from Leith. Part of Edinburgh. It's in our badge. Our other claim to fame is we are the team from Edinburgh that didn't bump the poppy fund out of charitable donations.

What other Edinburgh teams can say the same?

The Pointer
11-03-2017, 10:38 PM

My dad, who was a Morningside boy but went to Leith Nautical College, pointed out the Boundary Bar to me when I was wee and said Leith and Edinburgh had different licencing laws and that when time was called in the Edinburgh side of the bar, everyone piled out one door and in through the other to continue drinking in the same place.

NAE NOOKIE
11-03-2017, 10:49 PM

I saw something a few years back saying the white background to the castle on the badge represents Arthurs seat ... the ball is just chucked in so that folk know the badge represents a football club.

Hibs are an Edinburgh club, we were formed in the Cowgate and you cant really get more Edinburgh than that. But on the other hand there's no doubt that our spiritual home is Leith. It seems pretty clear that ER is in Leith if that map is correct, if the boundary has since changed that's hardly our fault .... for over a hundred years folk born or raised in Leith are overwhelmingly more likely to support Hibs than any other club, just the same as folk born or raised in Gorgie are more likely to support the Yams.

From that point of view Hibs are from Leith :aok:

Glory Lurker
11-03-2017, 10:52 PM
Emotionally, we're a Leith team. Factually, we own Embru. Case dismissed.

J-C
11-03-2017, 11:12 PM
Lochend and Easter Road stadium were in Leith until a few years back when they changed the local election boundaries, they both now lie outside Leith but we're still seen as a Leith club nowadays.

Bishop Hibee
11-03-2017, 11:26 PM
Lochend and Easter Road stadium were in Leith until a few years back when they changed the local election boundaries, they both now lie outside Leith but we're still seen as a Leith club nowadays.

Our adoption of Sunshine on Leith as an anthem is what gives the impression to outsiders that Hibs is a Leith club. The reality is that due to the clubs catholic roots and the great football played by the team in the post-war period and 70's the fanbase has always been beyond Leith while obviously including it. I would never call Hibs a Leith club.

MGmick
11-03-2017, 11:31 PM
Hibs are from Leith. Part of Edinburgh. It's in our badge. Our other claim to fame is we are the team from Edinburgh that didn't bump the poppy fund out of charitable donations.

What other Edinburgh teams can say the same?

All bar one I think.
Not to sure of the point your trying to make in your first couple of lines. I hope you're not getting me confused with the maroon sorts. Have a wee bit closer look at my avatar.

Forza Fred
12-03-2017, 12:25 AM

Grew up in Lochend, but never considered it part of Leith, had to jump on the 35 bus for that.

NAE NOOKIE
12-03-2017, 01:42 AM
Our adoption of Sunshine on Leith as an anthem is what gives the impression to outsiders that Hibs is a Leith club. The reality is that due to the clubs catholic roots and the great football played by the team in the post-war period and 70's the fanbase has always been beyond Leith while obviously including it. I would never call Hibs a Leith club.

Chicken & egg mate .... was SOL not adopted as the clubs anthem by the fans because its seen as being from Leith, not the other way around? I think the clubs fans have always seen it as a Leith club and that's why outsiders refer to it as such as well. But its no different from saying Hertz are from Gorgie or Sevco are from Govan .... its not in the least uncommon to hear Hearts referred to as 'the Gorgie club' in news and sports reports ..... in fact did the Yams not sing about 'the Gorgie boys' being in town back in the day.
In most cities with more than one club they are first and foremost identified with the area they are based in and we are no different, but outside of that Hibs are primarily an Edinburgh club, which is why the badge says Edinburgh and not Leith ..... on that basis I suppose its perfectly acceptable to refer to Hibs as both :greengrin

I think the only danger there ever was in referring to Hibs as a Leith club was that it might alienate people from other parts of Edinburgh who didn't want to support a club that was only identified with one area of the city ........... thankfully that has never transpired and also another reason why Hibs were very careful to put 'Hibernian .. Edinburgh' on the badge, and rightly so.

Put it this way ...... most of my Hibs supporting mates are Borders born and bred and not a single one of them has any problem with Hibs being referred to as a Leith club.

JOD
12-03-2017, 02:04 AM
What a load of pish on this thread.

we came rom LITTLE Ireland in the COWGATE in Edinburgh

end off read your history guys and also learn what a bhoy was ????

jgl07
12-03-2017, 04:13 AM

Regarding the Boundary Bar, someone I used to work with told me that Leith and Edinburgh had different licensing hours and that punters had to shuffle to the other end of the bar to get served in Leith if it was closing time in Edinburgh.

Edit: I didn't notice the earlier postings on this topic.

we are hibs
12-03-2017, 06:56 AM
That'll be the allez allez allez au song out the window!

J-C
12-03-2017, 07:29 AM
What a load of pish on this thread.

we came rom LITTLE Ireland in the COWGATE in Edinburgh

end off read your history guys and also learn what a bhoy was ????

This isn't what the OP is going on about, I think we all know our History but certain people are now saying we aren't a Leith club because ER is not inside Leith's boundary, historically ER was part of Leith but the boundary has since changed.

Earlydelivery
12-03-2017, 07:31 AM
Grew up in Lochend, but never considered it part of Leith, had to jump on the 35 bus for that.
Same as me Fred . And the 34 home :wink:

FilipinoHibs
12-03-2017, 07:32 AM
We are club founded by poor Irish immigrants living in old Edinburgh slums. Who moved to Leith where we are firmly rooted in the community. But our appeal is wide reaching because of the club's ethos and style. We are not old Edinburgh establishment. We are welcoming to all. We are Hibernian FC.

J-C
12-03-2017, 07:34 AM
Hibernian played its first match on the Meadows (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Meadows_(park)), on 25 December 1875.[8] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_Road#cite_note-Lugton26-8) The club first moved to the Easter Road (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_Road,_Edinburgh) area in 1880,[9] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_Road#cite_note-Inglis450-9)to a ground known as Hibernian Park (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hibernian_Park).[10] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_Road#cite_note-Lugton46-10) This location had the advantage of being equidistant between their two main sources of support, the Irish immigrant communities in the port of Leith (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leith) and the Old Town (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Town) of Edinburgh.[11] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_Road#cite_note-Lugton45-11) When Hibs suffered financial difficulties in the early 1890s, the lease on Hibernian Park expired and developers started building what would become Bothwell Street.[9] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_Road#cite_note-Inglis450-9) The club was reformed in 1892 and a lease on a piece of land called Drum Park was secured.[1] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_Road#cite_note-Lugton199-1) The site had restricted access from Easter Road, a pronounced slope and was in close proximity to Bank Park, the home of Leith Athletic (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leith_Athletic_F.C.).[1] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_Road#cite_note-Lugton199-1)[12] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_Road#cite_note-time_up_for_slope-12) There was a sense of continuity from the previous ground, however, and the supporters were keen to get started again.[1] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_Road#cite_note-Lugton199-1) The first match at Easter Road was played on 4 February 1893, a friendly against Clyde (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clyde_F.C.).[13] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_Road#cite_note-Lugton205-13)

Bostonhibby
12-03-2017, 08:58 AM
All bar one I think.
Not to sure of the point your trying to make in your first couple of lines. I hope you're not getting me confused with the maroon sorts. Have a wee bit closer look at my avatar.
Absolutely not mate. Just open season on the actual poppy thieves.

Lest they forget.

WhileTheChief..
12-03-2017, 09:19 AM
I've always thought of Leith as a part of Edinburgh in the same way as Trinity, Georgie, Gracemount or wherever are.

They talked a bit about this on Radio Scotland the other day. They said that the club was in Leith until the council redrew the boundaries for elections and we ended up in Edinburgh?

Hearts fans bang on about us being from Lochend and not Leith as if it somehow winds us up. What's that all about?

brog
12-03-2017, 09:28 AM

Or The Hearts of Midalbion according to Gary Neville!

brog
12-03-2017, 09:41 AM
I was born in St Mary'Street, 50 yards from where Hibs were founded. My grandad was born in 1875 & my great grandad was one of the original Hibernians. I have his 1873 wedding certificate signed by the (then) Father Edward Hannan, our founder. Along with the author of 100 years of Hibs we found 2 Hibs trophies in St Pats church in The Cowgate, our original spiritual home. So there's absolutely no doubt that we are an Edinburgh team but equally there's now no doubt that we play in Leith & that a large part of our fan base comes from that area. I also love the fact that Leith gives us a bit of a separate identity & I think our wonderful badge does a fantastic job of bringing all our component parts together in one symbol. GGTTH!

J-C
12-03-2017, 09:46 AM
I was born in St Mary'Street, 50 yards from where Hibs were founded. My grandad was born in 1875 & my great grandad was one of the original Hibernians. I have his 1873 wedding certificate signed by the (then) Father Edward Hannan, our founder. Along with the author of 100 years of Hibs we found 2 Hibs trophies in St Pats church in The Cowgate, our original spiritual home. So there's absolutely no doubt that we are an Edinburgh team but equally there's now no doubt that we play in Leith & that a large part of our fan base comes from that area. I also love the fact that Leith gives us a bit of a separate identity & I think our wonderful badge does a fantastic job of bringing all our component parts together in one symbol. GGTTH!

:agree::top marks

Earlydelivery
12-03-2017, 09:53 AM
Great post .

sleeping giant
12-03-2017, 09:54 AM

What trophies did you find Brog ?
Get them on the honours list :-)

Ringothedog
12-03-2017, 10:03 AM
What trophies did you find Brog ?
Get them on the honours list :-)

I think there is a photo of them in the "100 years of Hibs" book. I will dig it out when I get the chance.

I think the trophies were the Edinburgh cup and the second eleven cup, Brog please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

madabouthibs
12-03-2017, 10:58 AM
This original photo is from 1915 - The back of the East stand. 😁

NAE NOOKIE
12-03-2017, 11:08 AM
I've always thought of Leith as a part of Edinburgh in the same way as Trinity, Georgie, Gracemount or wherever are.

They talked a bit about this on Radio Scotland the other day. They said that the club was in Leith until the council redrew the boundaries for elections and we ended up in Edinburgh?

Hearts fans bang on about us being from Lochend and not Leith as if it somehow winds us up. What's that all about?

Leith is part of Edinburgh, but its separate identity up until the 1920s has without doubt left a lingering feeling of community that is perhaps a wee bit stronger than Edinburgh's other districts ...... If anything Hibs association with Leith has helped to strengthen that unique identity I would imagine, given that if you are from Leith it will be assumed that you support the club, even though that's not always the case.

Historically Leith may have been a separate entity from Edinburgh, but the town played a huge part in the city's history both in the form of the part it played in the various historical punch ups the city was involved in over the centuries and commercially.

As for the Hearts fans .... They hate the fact that the rest of the football world gets a warm fuzzy feeling when they see the Hibees belting out 'Sunshine on Leith' and will grasp at any straw available to try and disassociate the club from the area the song is about ... what they don't get is that even if the ground is outside the redrawn Leith boundary Hibs and Leith will always have a strong emotional connection that isn't going to be broken just because some pen pusher rearranged a few lines on a map.

On that note:

Is it not the case that somebody at the city council or Holyrood suggested relatively recently that Leith, or part of it, be redesignated 'The Port of Edninburgh' ....... Even if the guy who came up with that wasn't a Yam its a nod towards historical vandalism that would have done ISIS proud :confused:

WhileTheChief..
12-03-2017, 12:08 PM
Ah, I thought Hearts fans were saying we're from Lochend as if that's a bad thing.

Nowt wrong with Lochend at all. They seem to think that Georgie, Dalry, Sighthill and Stenhouse are gorgeous leafy suburbs in comparison.

A short stroll along Georgie Road with their eyes open should be enough to tell them otherwise you'd have thought. They're weird.

brog
12-03-2017, 03:15 PM
I think there is a photo of them in the "100 years of Hibs" book. I will dig it out when I get the chance.

I think the trophies were the Edinburgh cup and the second eleven cup, Brog please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

You're 100% correct. The trophies were presented to Hibs to recognise them winning both competitions 3 years in a row from 1879. I still remember our joy & astonishment when the priest from St Pats said he thought there were a couple of trophies in the back of a cupboard! Lovely pic of them on P10 of 100 years of Hibs.

Brunswickbill
12-03-2017, 04:07 PM

Here is a pic of the Ordnance Survey map 25 inch 1892 - 1905 overlaid on an aerial photo of the existing stadium. The diagonal dotted line in the bottom left corner is the Parliamentary and Municipal Boundary with the small wedge in the bottom left being Edinburgh and the remainder being Leith. It also shows the original Hibernian Football Ground. You can see from the pic that the Edinburgh / Leith boundary crossed the existing stadium at the extreme south-west corner with all of the stands and playing surface being in Leith. Nae doot aboot it! As for postcode discussion, postcodes have no official standing whatsover in the designation of statutory boundaries. They are maintained by the post office for the purposes of delivering mail. The address includes a postal town but this is simply a designation given by the post office and doesn't necessarily reflect existing or historic municaipal boundaries. Hope this puts the argument to bed. May the sunshine be on Leith.:thumbsup:

The Harp
12-03-2017, 04:31 PM
What a great thread with some really informative posts. Thoroughly enjoying reading through it. The 2 cups mentioned earlier (Edinurgh Cup and the Second Eleven Cup) were on display at St Pat's some years ago with a photographer on hand, but you were able to take your own pics too. It seemed very popular on the day.
As a Club we have a social history to be proud of. God bless the Hibs!

Sammy7nil
12-03-2017, 06:57 PM
Where's the church in the Cowgate? There's your answer vis à vis where we're "from"

Did we play our home games in the church

Eyrie
12-03-2017, 06:59 PM
Did we play our home games in the church

We played on the Meadows back then. No such thing as indoor training facilities back in the 1870s.

Sammy7nil
12-03-2017, 07:00 PM
We played on the Meadows back then. No such thing as indoor training facilities back in the 1870s.

I should have added the smiley :wink:

Eyrie
12-03-2017, 07:04 PM
I should have added the smiley :wink:

Me too :wink: