PDA

View Full Version : Dean Owens

Cat Stanton
11-03-2017, 11:53 AM
Who is he? He's on Off The Ball right now - Hearts-supporting singer from Leith?

I've never heard of him - but that just might be my age...

JPrinty
11-03-2017, 11:58 AM
Dunno, but he sounds a right walloper!

greenginger
11-03-2017, 12:00 PM
Who is he? He's on Off The Ball right now - Hearts-supporting singer from Leith?

I've never heard of him - but that just might be my age...

His band , the Whisky Hearts !!

http://www.deanowens.com/

More like the Whisky heads after all their cup pumpings. :greengrin

JackLadd
11-03-2017, 12:03 PM
Irvine Welsh was having a laugh surely. :greengrin

cabbageandribs1875
11-03-2017, 12:07 PM
he always feels so superior against hibs :rolleyes:

MrSmith
11-03-2017, 12:10 PM

I used to work behind the bar in Leith Dockers Club, his old man Dode Owens was a member of the committee and a really good guy while Dean, came across as a bit of a smarmy arrogant git. Spoke the words and charmed the people but could see it was all a front.

northstandhibby
11-03-2017, 12:10 PM
The Scots media especially sportsound are never happier when they're discussing the Huns/Yams. He's only on the show cause hes a Yam. Either that or its more Richard 'Hun' Wilson, Barry or Derek, Chic, Wacko Jacko, etcetera etcetera.

glory glory

hibstag
11-03-2017, 12:11 PM

he was in full 5 1 comfort blanket mode there

zlatan
11-03-2017, 12:11 PM
It's fantastic listening. First time I've got to hear them cling on to the one thing they have. 'Aye but 5-1 5-1 5-1'

PolmontHibby
11-03-2017, 12:12 PM
I normally enjoy the show....but for a guy who insists the Hibs cup win means nothing to him he isn't half droning on and on about it

cabbageandribs1875
11-03-2017, 12:16 PM
richard gordon is at his/the bbc favourite hovel...the budge arena

Broken Gnome
11-03-2017, 12:21 PM
I was just in the Ladbrokes at Nicholson Square, heard two older guys talking about the game last night in a fairly neutral way. Just as they parted, one says to the other 'Aye, but we're still the big team'.

He said it in such a reassuring way as well. I reckon the say it to themselves in the mirror every morning. Bless them.

Is It On....
11-03-2017, 12:22 PM
"Want Hibs to come up, we need the 12 points"..(almost) worse than Preston!!

Conj
11-03-2017, 12:23 PM
He was on a while ago saying he couldn't understand why a couple of brothers from Fife would write a song about the weather in Leith then sang one of his own songs which was about Nashville. They really don't get irony.

HIBERNIAN-0762
11-03-2017, 12:23 PM
"Want Hibs to come up, we need the 12 points"..(almost) worse than Preston!!

That old chesnut? just shows you we got them worried...fuds

green day
11-03-2017, 12:31 PM
Whats great though is that it is so so so blatantly obvious that 21/5/16 was like losing an arm for 90% of jambos - they were so defined by the mighty hibees !!

hibs4life
11-03-2017, 12:48 PM
Heard him having a go at Hibs fans for bringing blow up cups to Tynecastle and having a pop at Hearts for bottling it in the 2-2 game last year. Didn't we get it that they beat us 5-1 in the final? Apparently it seems that everything after that doesn't count and we just need to accept that they own us.
Our current unbeaten streak also doesn't count as they did 22.
We just need to know our place it seems.
The ubiquitous Jambo superiority complex.
I quite like some of his music and have gone to his gigs previously. This was before I realised how small minded and petty he was. Seems a bit of a fud, despite his current charity work for Marie Curie.

mjhibby
11-03-2017, 12:51 PM
Whats great though is that it is so so so blatantly obvious that 21/5/16 was like losing an arm for 90% of jambos - they were so defined by the mighty hibees !!

I must admit I never thought it would affect them as much as it clearly has. It's basically destroyed everything they have ever lived for and sang about. The pbs is Like a library,their words nor mine,and they have just no idea what's going on and are circling the wagons round pep cathro. It's amazing how dramatic the drop in them wearing their horrible maroon tops. They used to be everywhere and since may 21 I can honestly say I havent seen one of them. It's been the biggest kick in the gonads any supporter could suffer. Couldn't happen to a more ridiculous bunch of clowns.

crewetollhibee
11-03-2017, 12:52 PM
This tool should be putting whatever musical talent he has into writing a new songbook for his chums.

Frank Moon
11-03-2017, 01:41 PM
It's funny but a Leith Jambo is the most bitter of all. Preston and him are great examples.

He was trying to claim Easter Road isn't Leith!

we are hibs
11-03-2017, 01:48 PM
So basically just another irrelevant hearts fan in a long line of them who claims they aren't hurting about the fact we are 7 games unbeaten against them, pumped them out the cup twice, rammed their 1902 and in the meantime they've done the square root of **** all for 2 years? Lovely.

Is It On....
11-03-2017, 01:48 PM
It's funny but a Leith Jambo is the most bitter of all. Preston and him are great examples.

Seriously? I stopped listening...as it was getting boring and a bit predictable. (NHC) but thought Alex Rae came across quite well.

FastEddieFelson
11-03-2017, 01:49 PM
He was on a while ago saying he couldn't understand why a couple of brothers from Fife would write a song about the weather in Leith then sang one of his own songs which was about Nashville. They really don't get irony.

he has a song called "raining in glasgow" so that might well have just been a joke.

i saw him once at leith folk club in the victoria hotel. fairly pish.

Joe6-2
11-03-2017, 01:56 PM
Heard him having a go at Hibs fans for bringing blow up cups to Tynecastle and having a pop at Hearts for bottling it in the 2-2 game last year. Didn't we get it that they beat us 5-1 in the final? Apparently it seems that everything after that doesn't count and we just need to accept that they own us.
Our current unbeaten streak also doesn't count as they did 22.
We just need to know our place it seems.
The ubiquitous Jambo superiority complex.
I quite like some of his music and have gone to his gigs previously. This was before I realised how small minded and petty he was. Seems a bit of a fud, despite his current charity work for Marie Curie.

Charity work!! 🤔

Earlydelivery
11-03-2017, 02:09 PM
Prestons a Hun .

superfurryhibby
11-03-2017, 02:24 PM
Vaugely knew him as a laddie. He stayed in Madeira St and went to Fort primary. A Jambo in Leith in thise days must have suffered a lot, hence the bitter fuddery.

Pete
11-03-2017, 02:31 PM
Never heard of him, didn't hear the off the ball interview but going by what he's supposed to have said he sounds like one of these Jambos with wee willy syndrome.

I listened to one of his songs and all I'm going to say is that I don't think Ed Sheeran will be looking over his shoulder.

11-03-2017, 02:42 PM
I work with a jambo from leith and they truly are the worst type of jambo twats.

Dashing Bob S
11-03-2017, 02:49 PM
Comes over as a typical Jambo fud who produces uninspired music.

lord bunberry
11-03-2017, 03:05 PM
They're all the same, they keep saying they're not bothered by us winning the cup, but it's them who keep talking about it. They're trying to convince themselves more than anything else.
5-1 syndrome will soon be recognised as a genuine condition.

Pretty Boy
11-03-2017, 03:13 PM
Tbh he just sounds like every other Hearts fan I've encountered.

Massive superiority complex and fundementally uninteresting.

GreenLake
11-03-2017, 03:16 PM
No doubt he will think he is famous like his club while in truth, nobody has ever heard of them or him.

Danderhall Hibs
11-03-2017, 03:47 PM
Sounds like he's succeeded in his aim.

And I've heard Hibs fans say Easter Road is in Edinburgh, not Leith as well.

OxoHibby
11-03-2017, 04:16 PM
Dunno, but he sounds a right walloper!

He is a jambo what do you expect

HibbiesandtheBaddies
11-03-2017, 04:43 PM
I used to work behind the bar in Leith Dockers Club, his old man Dode Owens was a member of the committee and a really good guy while Dean, came across as a bit of a smarmy arrogant git. Spoke the words and charmed the people but could see it was all a front.

And again today on the radio. Full on t@sser.

Was expecting Cosgrove to put him on the spot with the financial doping chat like he did to Scott Wilson to see if the boy has a conscience. Was disappointed.

Peevemor
11-03-2017, 04:51 PM
Sounds like he's succeeded in his aim.

And I've heard Hibs fans say Easter Road is in Edinburgh, not Leith as well.
They're mistaken. The stadium definitely outwith the Edinburgh boundary. I've posted old maps in the past which show the limits and will do so again when I have time.

This isn't the best one but you can clearly see that the municipal boundary runs parallel to the railway.

http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/1_MAP/1_map_edinburgh_1870_east_large.htm#start

emerald green
11-03-2017, 04:59 PM
Why anyone would be in the slightest bit interested in what this no mark is slavering on about simply escapes me.

Leith Green
11-03-2017, 05:07 PM
Know him well .. He is highly regarded as a complete dingle an immature silly wee laddie who has somehow ended up avoiding getting a complete licking at some stage. Nazi salutes, thinks he is king william of orange and a mouthpiece when with his trampy wee pals. Laddie is a bomb scare, and quite possibly has mental health issues (genuinely) as do another of his smelly wee squad

Actually quite shocked there is a thread about him on here..

WoreTheGreen
11-03-2017, 05:33 PM
Know him well .. He is highly regarded as a complete dingle an immature silly wee laddie who has somehow ended up avoiding getting a complete licking at some stage. Nazi salutes, thinks he is king william of orange and a mouthpiece when with his trampy wee pals. Laddie is a bomb scare, and quite possibly has mental health issues (genuinely) as do another of his smelly wee squad

Actually quite shocked there is a thread about him on here..

A no mark today tommorow forever

strummbo
11-03-2017, 05:39 PM
yep hes a fund of the highest order. musically he is utter mince.... crap songs with 4th year school boy words....

AlbertK86
11-03-2017, 05:42 PM
Was a roaster at school as well .... thought he was the big I am even then .... just another bitter and twisted jambo

Liked the bit that he cried all the way to hampden as he was scared of the big crowd ....

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Danderhall Hibs
11-03-2017, 06:06 PM
They're mistaken. The stadium definitely outwith the Edinburgh boundary. I've posted old maps in the past which show the limits and will do so again when I have time.

This isn't the best one but you can clearly see that the municipal boundary runs parallel to the railway.

http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/1_MAP/1_map_edinburgh_1870_east_large.htm#start

Cheers Peeve - my father in law's been adamant for years ERs in Edinburgh and not Leith.

Golden Bear
11-03-2017, 06:34 PM
I can honestly say that I've never heard of this guy up until today. And after today I'll probably never hear of him again. Thankfully!

Peevemor
11-03-2017, 06:35 PM
Cheers Peeve - my father in law's been adamant for years ERs in Edinburgh and not Leith.
There's a better map on the thread I started.

MikeyS
11-03-2017, 07:48 PM
I must admit I never thought it would affect them as much as it clearly has. It's basically destroyed everything they have ever lived for and sang about. The pbs is Like a library,their words nor mine,and they have just no idea what's going on and are circling the wagons round pep cathro. It's amazing how dramatic the drop in them wearing their horrible maroon tops. They used to be everywhere and since may 21 I can honestly say I havent seen one of them. It's been the biggest kick in the gonads any supporter could suffer. Couldn't happen to a more ridiculous bunch of clowns.

Totally agree with this, that lot have nowt left to sing about now we've won the cup. My jambos supporting mates are constantly moaning about the lack of atmosphere at PBS and it boils down to May 21st.

Have a look at the pathetic Viking clap attempt at Tynie today (it's doing the rounds on Twitter I dunno how to link!) as an example of the "famous" atmosphere. Apparently the boy trying to lead them by banging on the railing wasn't even sat there he kept running out his seat to bang the metal! 😂

Fergos
11-03-2017, 08:02 PM
He wears a shoelace necklace. And stands in an interesting way.

Thats all.

GGTTH

GreenLake
12-03-2017, 02:12 AM
Andy Murray is warming up here at the BNP Paribas at Indian Wells. Looking to see if there is another Hibby in the crowd so we can start the Hibs Hibs chant.

Does anyone else wish Sir Andy would just shout F*** the Hearts into the camera?

connerg
12-03-2017, 02:57 AM
He was a year, maybe two above me at Trinity. A wannabe musician then and a failed one now. He always thought he was something special. He was never into football, him and his stuck up girlfriend were too good for that. He must be getting desperate now. Oh ma aching sides. :greengrin

LithgaeHibby
12-03-2017, 06:16 AM
I picked up on the "feeling superior" bit too. Yes, the tainted trophies won on the back of bumping all those charities and shafting Lithuanian tax payers should certainly give a warm glow. It's the Hertz way - they owe it to themselves, remember.

Baader
12-03-2017, 06:22 AM
Why did Off the Ball have some busker no-one's ever heard of on their show??? Could they not afford Cicero?

greenlad
12-03-2017, 06:24 AM
http://www.deanowens.com/

There's something a bit David Brent "Walter Mitty" about that website

It's either the clearly contrived arty shots, the Z-list of tour venues that don't quite match the supposed calibre of performer, or the no-mark endorsements "buy this album now!"

FilipinoHibs
12-03-2017, 06:51 AM
There's something a bit David Brent "Walter Mitty" about that website

It's either the clearly contrived arty shots, the Z-list of tour venues that don't quite match the supposed calibre of performer, or the no-mark endorsements "buy this album now!"

Looks a real wino with it to.

Mon Dieu4
12-03-2017, 06:53 AM
Yep he's a Jambo alright, as well as looking like one his website has this

"Would you like to help Dean continue his song writing and recording? Artist patronage has been a tradition for many years, helping artists to focus on their craft rather than their survival. If you would like to continue this tradition, you can make a donation via the link below. Your contribution is greatly appreciated. Thank you."

Yams begging for money, who would have thunk it

hibsfan
12-03-2017, 06:59 AM
I had no idea he was a Jambo! Heard him
Play at the fringe a couple of years ago and to be honest assumed he was a Hibee.

His album evergreen is pretty good and has a couple of Keith inspired tracks.

Leith Green
12-03-2017, 07:28 AM
He was a year, maybe two above me at Trinity. A wannabe musician then and a failed one now. He always thought he was something special. He was never into football, him and his stuck up girlfriend were too good for that. He must be getting desperate now. Oh ma aching sides. :greengrin

Lol.. i have just realised that this is a different Dean Owens bizarrely enough. What i said is regarding a laddie from Leithy school.

Pedantic_Hibee
12-03-2017, 07:37 AM
Lol.. i have just realised that this is a different Dean Owens bizarrely enough. What i said is regarding a laddie from Leithy school.

Was my first thought too when I saw the thread title. He lived in my street and was a couple of years younger than me. Had big ****** off milk bottle glasses back then but was still a mouthy wee so and so.

Corstorphine Hibby
12-03-2017, 07:48 AM

Did he mention that tynecastle wasn't in Midlothian?

Danderhall Hibs
12-03-2017, 07:51 AM
Was my first thought too when I saw the thread title. He lived in my street and was a couple of years younger than me. Had big ****** off milk bottle glasses back then but was still a mouthy wee so and so.

:hilarious cos we all know what the unwritten rule for folk with milk bottle glasses is.

Pedantic_Hibee
12-03-2017, 11:55 AM
:hilarious cos we all know what the unwritten rule for folk with milk bottle glasses is.

Tie them to a lamppost and let them be used as a leisure centre?

Bishop Hibee
12-03-2017, 01:30 PM
I was channel hopping in the car and stuck to this as I heard mention of the YLT. Utter tosh. Apparently there was aBoxing Day reunion in the Dockers Club where half the attendees were Jambos. I very much doubt that. Also, at aged 45 there is no way he was involved in the original incarnation. Suited perfectly to Off the Ball which is also stale, dated and self absorbed.

superfurryhibby
12-03-2017, 01:41 PM
he has a song called "raining in glasgow" so that might well have just been a joke.

i saw him once at leith folk club in the victoria hotel. fairly pish.

Funny that you have a user name that features that of his old band The Felsons? Just coincidence or what?

To be fair, I saw the Felsons years ago at the Traquair Fair, they were pish anaw.

He isnae 45 either, must be 50 or thereabouts.

Repeat, the Yam who lived in Leith in the 70's suffered a great deal, that is why they are so bitter.

connerg
13-03-2017, 02:00 AM
I was channel hopping in the car and stuck to this as I heard mention of the YLT. Utter tosh. Apparently there was aBoxing Day reunion in the Dockers Club where half the attendees were Jambos. I very much doubt that. Also, at aged 45 there is no way he was involved in the original incarnation. Suited perfectly to Off the Ball which is also stale, dated and self absorbed.

The Dean Owens i'm thinking about must be touching 50 now. Maybe this is a different one?

SirDavidsNapper
13-03-2017, 03:40 AM

Dispite the fact they can't beat us. Sounds like he has a wee chip on his shoulder, whoever he is

Bostonhibby
13-03-2017, 07:20 AM
I picked up on the "feeling superior" bit too. Yes, the tainted trophies won on the back of bumping all those charities and shafting Lithuanian tax payers should certainly give a warm glow. It's the Hertz way - they owe it to themselves, remember.
Self proclaimed superiority complexes are the scariest, especially when they are made in the face of contrary evidence - stadium, results, crowds, reputation that sort of thing.

It's driven by a failure to manage underlying inferiority and the causes of it.

Wonder if he sees himself as even more successful than the proclaimers when in fact he's the yams wee wullie bluenose but without wee wullies organ.

Jim44
13-03-2017, 08:25 AM
Did he actually say on national radio that he felt superior to other football supporters? If he did, surely Cosgrove and Cowan ripped into him. Suggests mental health issues to me.

LithgaeHibby
13-03-2017, 08:32 AM
It was more to do with feeling superior every time they play us. This was borne out of the tainted win of 2012, rather than the fact that they've been humped out of the Cup three times by us in the last 5 years since. And the fact that their hold on the Cup in 2012 might have been the shortest one in the entire history of the competition.

Golden Bear
13-03-2017, 08:35 AM
Did he actually say on national radio that he felt superior to other football supporters? If he did, surely Cosgrove and Cowan ripped into him. Suggests mental health issues to me.

:agree:

He said he felt superior when discussing football matters with Hibs fans.

Peevemor
13-03-2017, 08:36 AM

Correcshun...

Jim44
13-03-2017, 09:16 AM

Unbelievable. It reminds me of the old Frost Report 'class' sketch. Ironically, Ronnie Jambo Corbett is at the bottom. :greengrin

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4VxkltwS9g0

Carheenlea
13-03-2017, 10:04 AM
Listened to podcast this morning and yes, a few of his comments are just the typical havering of the standard Hearts fan. Nothing that really caused me any offence, but the more nonsensical comments come early in the broadcast.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04wk2jp

matty_f
13-03-2017, 10:04 AM
Correcshun...

:faf:

cheltenhamhibee
13-03-2017, 10:22 AM
Can honestly say I have no idea who he is, looks like the love child of Chris Evans and Mick Hucknall

Lester B
13-03-2017, 10:49 AM

He was the year above me, I think. A guy in my year played drums in the band he had at school. Never expressed any interest in football at all. Always thought he was a big talent even then. Any musician in Edinburgh who has encountered him at gigs, etc can say that he's nowhere near as good as he thinks he is and he's arrogant to boot.

So delusions of grandeur and thinks he's better than those around him? Yes, He's a Hearts fan (now at least).

AndyB_70
13-03-2017, 12:54 PM
He was in my class at Fort Primary so he will be 48/49 now. We played in the same school football team at primary. I do not remember him being a YAM though. We went our separate ways after P7 when I want to Leithy and he and the rest of the class went to Trinity.
As for Mr Preston he was a Rangers fan at school with frequent visits to Ibroke. Like most pros though they form new affinities when they play for clubs so it's not uncommon. We were chatting years ago at the foot o the walk waiting on the pink news being delivered and he was getting dogs abuse as he had just come from the PBS and was wearing a YAMs blazer.
Can't say I'm bothered with anything they say.

southsider
13-03-2017, 01:26 PM
Him slagging off The Proclaimers would be a bit like The Monkees slagging off The Rolling Stones.

Kato
13-03-2017, 01:31 PM
Him slagging off The Proclaimers would be a bit like The Monkees slagging off The Rolling Stones.

Except The Monkees had tunes....and success.

surreyhibbie
13-03-2017, 01:46 PM
Never heard of him.

This thread is probably the best publicity he has ever had...

HIBERNIAN-0762
13-03-2017, 02:50 PM
He was in my class at Fort Primary so he will be 48/49 now. We played in the same school football team at primary. I do not remember him being a YAM though. We went our separate ways after P7 when I want to Leithy and he and the rest of the class went to Trinity.
As for Mr Preston he was a Rangers fan at school with frequent visits to Ibroke. Like most pros though they form new affinities when they play for clubs so it's not uncommon. We were chatting years ago at the foot o the walk waiting on the pink news being delivered and he was getting dogs abuse as he had just come from the PBS and was wearing a YAMs blazer.
Can't say I'm bothered with anything they say.

Aye but he played for them didn't he? Preston that is.

Saw him today at Ocean Terminal having a coffee with Kano, Jackie Mac Jnr and another unidentified guy, deep in conversation with Kano no lookin too happy...