PDA

View Full Version : Yams More Cathrospeak

Pete
11-03-2017, 06:47 AM
https://stv.tv/sport/football/1382664-ian-cathro-admits-hearts-job-is-harder-than-he-expected/

So...I think what he's trying to say in a roundabout way is "yes".

Or "yes, I'm out of my depth".

I think he also mentions his sick hat but I'm not sure.

#cathrochat #badlydrawnboy #loser

The Spaceman
11-03-2017, 07:33 AM
Throda :thumbsup:

davym7062
11-03-2017, 08:17 AM
I just read that!!!! I've not a scooby what he's on about!!! I like him" :greengrin

Velma Dinkley
11-03-2017, 08:24 AM
He keeps saying "we understand". No, Ian, we do not.

3pm
11-03-2017, 08:25 AM
He needs to lose that hat. He looks ridiculous. And that's before we get to the colour etc.

AltheHibby
11-03-2017, 08:26 AM
The words he uses all seem to be English, but not in any recognisable form.

It reminds me of the great Eric Morcombe stating the he was "playing all the right notes. Just not necessarily in the right order".

Jim44
11-03-2017, 08:31 AM
He's just a wee insignificant guy, inarticulate but trying to appear the opposite, unable to structure words into sentences so they sound ridiculous. E.g. ""That's something that is a valid point,". Who the hell would say that? "That's a valid point" is enough. He thinks that doubling the amount of words he uses to make a simple point, give him gravitas. Roaster.

Keith_M
11-03-2017, 08:34 AM
"There is nobody in the world who could sit in this chair in this moment, based on the run of results we've had, and say no to that."

".....I'm one of them."

He's one of nobody???????

Keith_M
11-03-2017, 08:35 AM

It reminds me of the great Eric Morcombe stating the he was "playing all the right notes. Just not necessarily in the right order".

:top marks

hibee-boys
11-03-2017, 08:37 AM
I gave up reading that half way through as it was giving me a headache!

147lothian
11-03-2017, 08:39 AM
I like this guy

RyeSloan
11-03-2017, 08:42 AM
Gotta love this dude...does anything he says make any sense what so ever? [emoji23]

Beefster
11-03-2017, 08:42 AM
Cathro's not half as intelligent as he thinks he is.

Big_Franck
11-03-2017, 08:49 AM
Love Cathro and love the fact he was given a 3 and a half year contract. Budge will give him at least until November/Christmas and the saviles will be minging until he goes. Levein will then bring in another puppet and they'll sign another load of journeymen that couldn't care less about their wee tin pot club.

Pretty Boy
11-03-2017, 09:07 AM
Bizarrely the thread on Kickback about this interview has a fair few impressed by it and arguing that he speaks well.

I've said it before but I'll say it again. Cathro looks and sounds like the snivelling wee grass everyone knew at school. The type who ran to the teacher everytime a rule was broken that led to a bit of fun, reminded the teacher they had forgot to collect or assign homework and thought they were far smarter and more interesting than they were.

Golden Bear
11-03-2017, 09:31 AM
He's just a wee insignificant guy, inarticulate but trying to appear the opposite, unable to structure words into sentences so they sound ridiculous. E.g. ""That's something that is a valid point,". Who the hell would say that? "That's a valid point" is enough. He thinks that doubling the amount of words he uses to make a simple point, give him gravitas. Roaster.

I'm liking the "Roaster" word.

:wink:

:greengrin

gaz1875
11-03-2017, 09:35 AM
[QUOTE=Pretty Boy;4974727]Bizarrely the thread on Kickback about this interview has a fair few impressed by it and arguing that he speaks well.
I've said it before but I'll say it again. Cathro looks and sounds like the snivelling wee grass everyone knew at school. The type who ran to the teacher everytime a rule was broken that led to a bit of fun, reminded the teacher they had forgot to collect or assign homework and thought they were far smarter and more interesting than they were.[/QUOTE}

The funny thing is they argue with each other by trying to decipher what he is trying to say :faf:

Bishop Hibee
11-03-2017, 09:37 AM

😂 Hits the nail on the head. The bit I read from him where he talked about the media being all headlines and no tactical analysis was bizarre. Perhaps it's because no one can discern what his tactics are.

oldbutdim
11-03-2017, 09:38 AM
"There is nobody in the world who could sit in this chair in this moment, based on the run of results we've had, and say no to that."

".....I'm one of them."

He's one of nobody???????

I think he actually says

"Say no to that answer".

But it's questionable I suppose.

lapsedhibee
11-03-2017, 09:39 AM
https://stv.tv/sport/football/1382664-ian-cathro-admits-hearts-job-is-harder-than-he-expected/

Should never be in front of a camera or microphone. Potter is absolutely crucifying this guy. Is there not some relevant 'Society For The Prevention Of Cruelty To' that we should alert? :dunno:

snedzuk
11-03-2017, 09:44 AM
Should never be in front of a camera or microphone. Potter is absolutely crucifying this guy. Is there not some relevant 'Society For The Prevention Of Cruelty To' that we should alert? :dunno:

Display Ian Cathro Kindness Society

lyonhibs
11-03-2017, 09:51 AM
That transcript reads like a non native speaker who's just learnt a whole bunch of sporting and management vocab and has just vomitted them out.

rossevenil
11-03-2017, 10:00 AM
How many breaks in the season does he want to get his team sorted out? Moaning its the first break they have had since the Winter break.....what about that nice break of 8 days before
you were going to put Hibs back in their place in the Scottish Cup ?
Dear o dear

Jack Hackett
11-03-2017, 10:07 AM
It's OK. Folk with laptops ken what's going on :greengrin

hibsbollah
11-03-2017, 10:07 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk1uXMZs2rM

This is basically what he does well.
Simple skill training for kids based on repetition and having ball at feet at all times.
My son's done it. Its a good little programme.
But its not difficult. (whats difficult? eh?)

and how it qualifies someone to be a top flight football manager I'm not quite sure. I suspect he's blagged and conned his way into senior management and he'll now have to learn on the job. His inarticulateness will make it even harder for him.

Sir David Gray
11-03-2017, 10:08 AM
I've said it before but any time I listen to any of his interviews, he always sounds like a foreigner who can understand individual English words but has no idea of how to put those words into a coherent sentence.

The guy's well out of his depth.

HFCdeb
11-03-2017, 10:11 AM
It's actually painful listening to the guy. Just when I start to feel sorry for him I remember who he is and it just becomes ridiculously funny again. :hilarious

hibsbollah
11-03-2017, 10:13 AM
It's actually painful listening to the guy. Just when I start to feel sorry for him I remember who he is and it just becomes ridiculously funny again. :hilarious

"There is nobody in the world who could sit in this chair in this moment, based on the run of results we've had, and say no to that answer. I'm one of them.":aok::monkey::trumpet:

biotech
11-03-2017, 10:18 AM
Love the hat - comedy gold.
Is there a relevant song about hats?

Neil 1875
11-03-2017, 10:21 AM
Start shovelling what your talking cathro.

Pretty Boy
11-03-2017, 10:21 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk1uXMZs2rM

This is basically what he does well.
Simple skill training for kids based on repetition and having ball at feet at all times.
My son's done it. Its a good little programme.
But its not difficult. (whats difficult? eh?)

and how it qualifies someone to be a top flight football manager I'm not quite sure. I suspect he's blagged and conned his way into senior management and he'll now have to learn on the job. His inarticulateness will make it even harder for him.

I just watched through 6 or 7 of the videos and most amateur and youth coaches worth their salt have been running drills like that for years. Seems someone has put a name to it and is making a pretty penny of the back of it.

Good luck to them but it's hardly revolutionary. 'Look over your shoulders before you pass', 'quick movement is important', 'keep an eye on where the striker is when attacking'.

hibsbollah
11-03-2017, 10:26 AM
I just watched through 6 or 7 of the videos and most amateur and youth coaches worth their salt have been running drills like that for years. Seems someone has put a name to it and is making a pretty penny of the back of it.

Good luck to them but it's hardly revolutionary. 'Look over your shoulders before you pass', 'quick movement is important', 'keep an eye on where the striker is when attacking'.

Yes, I agree. But its the fact that its structured and organised, the drills are very high tempo and the coaches are generally engaged and well schooled that made my son enjoy it. Its not cheap and I think John Colquohon is the guy whos making money out of the 'brand' at the moment.

11-03-2017, 10:26 AM
Bizarrely the thread on Kickback about this interview has a fair few impressed by it and arguing that he speaks well.

I've said it before but I'll say it again. Cathro looks and sounds like the snivelling wee grass everyone knew at school. The type who ran to the teacher everytime a rule was broken that led to a bit of fun, reminded the teacher they had forgot to collect or assign homework and thought they were far smarter and more interesting than they were.

Someone on kickback giving it "he's getting much better at speaking and interviews". The guys Scottish ffs not some forgein manager new to the country thats still trying to grasp the language :faf:

He's like a scrawny wee nerd who's spent most of his days hiding away in his bedroom on his laptop and now is suddenly introduced into society and hasn't a clue. Rabbit caught in headlights.

Pretty Boy
11-03-2017, 10:32 AM
Yes, I agree. But its the fact that its structured and organised, the drills are very high tempo and the coaches are generally engaged and well schooled that made my son enjoy it. Its not cheap and I think John Colquohon is the guy whos making money out of the 'brand' at the moment.

Don't get me wrong it's a decent programme and a lot of it is exactly what we should be teaching kids.

It should be a standard requirement for people working with young players to know these basics though. The SFA courses are good but at entry level it's turn up, pay and get your certificate. When I passed my 1st badges in the pathway it was obvious to me that 5 or 6 guys on the course should have been nowhere near working with kids. I can imagine them now demonstrating crap technique in an aggressive manner and having young lads doing laps of the pitch. Those running the course knew it as well.

It's all part of the root and branch overhaul needed in Scottosh football so that young players are taught the basics across the board in an enjoyable environment rather than a private enterprise taking on the task.

Frank Moon
11-03-2017, 10:40 AM
'A chance for me to make some reflections' ??? It's like something Jose Mourinho would say!!

hibsbollah
11-03-2017, 10:46 AM
Don't get me wrong it's a decent programme and a lot of it is exactly what we should be teaching kids.

It should be a standard requirement for people working with young players to know these basics though. The SFA courses are good but at entry level it's turn up, pay and get your certificate. When I passed my 1st badges in the pathway it was obvious to me that 5 or 6 guys on the course should have been nowhere near working with kids. I can imagine them now demonstrating crap technique in an aggressive manner and having young lads doing laps of the pitch. Those running the course knew it as well.

It's all part of the root and branch overhaul needed in Scottosh football so that young players are taught the basics across the board in an enjoyable environment rather than a private enterprise taking on the task.

Honestly I could bore you for an hour on this subject! some of the egos that I confront every single week from people who've done the first few SFA courses and use that as a passport to impose their misguided ideas on kids. And you often get these guys staying in place for years because no one has the cojones to stand up to them. When the coaching at schools and at (some) boys clubs is often so poor, you cant blame parents for looking elsewhere. Im sure theres a gap in the market for more private coaching clinics to spring up.

The Harp Awakes
11-03-2017, 10:53 AM
He's probably the only character who could play himself on Only an Excuse and still be a hoot:partyhibb

Davy Mac
11-03-2017, 10:53 AM
Kinda reminds of me of Steve McLaren, mind when he was a manager in Holland and starting speaking like the locals?

Cathro's demenour, tone and slaverings are a bit weird, PR car crash.

It's all good down Tynie way.

HFCdeb
11-03-2017, 11:02 AM
"There is nobody in the world who could sit in this chair in this moment, based on the run of results we've had, and say no to that answer. I'm one of them.":aok::monkey::trumpet:

It's ok.

hibsbollah
11-03-2017, 11:04 AM
It's ok.

whu fuh. Eh?

Callyballybe
11-03-2017, 11:05 AM
After last night's great result, this is a brilliant bit of reading to start your saturday morning. Thanks Cathro.

matty_f
11-03-2017, 11:12 AM
Cathro's not half as intelligent as he thinks he is.

He's not even half as intelligent as we think he is. :greengrin

matty_f
11-03-2017, 11:27 AM
Honestly I could bore you for an hour on this subject! some of the egos that I confront every single week from people who've done the first few SFA courses and use that as a passport to impose their misguided ideas on kids. And you often get these guys staying in place for years because no one has the cojones to stand up to them. When the coaching at schools and at (some) boys clubs is often so poor, you cant blame parents for looking elsewhere. Im sure theres a gap in the market for more private coaching clinics to spring up.
:agree:
My niece's dad runs a coaching business in Edinburgh ( http://www.3v2socceracademy.co.uk ) and they're excellent. I've seen the box coaching and Coerver and I don't think they add to what those guys do.

HFCdeb
11-03-2017, 11:31 AM
whu fuh. Eh?

What's difficult? Wh hcsd HEY!

Barman Stanton
11-03-2017, 11:34 AM
I like the guy. The best parts of his interviews for me are when he does a wee Robert De Niro goodfellas impression. Or it may be Mourinho. Either way, it's good and I don't think he gets enough credit for these impressions.

HFCdeb
11-03-2017, 11:40 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0juSJ6f3X24

Michael
11-03-2017, 11:44 AM
I've noticed that people who speak English as a second language (especially in football) use the word 'moment' a lot like "in this moment", "not a good moment" etc.

Cathro seems to do the same thing which I think contributes to him sounding a bit like Mourinho.

bingo70
11-03-2017, 11:44 AM
My niece's dad runs a coaching business in Edinburgh ( http://www.3v2socceracademy.co.uk ) and they're excellent. I've seen the box coaching and Coerver and I don't think they add to what those guys do.

My boys just back home from that very class, loves it.

Is it a franchise? If not I'm guessing it's Murdo you know?

One Day Soon
11-03-2017, 12:00 PM
This clip should be in the Oxford English Dictionary as the official definition of the word 'Bewilderment'.

matty_f
11-03-2017, 12:02 PM
My boys just back home from that very class, loves it.

Is it a franchise? If not I'm guessing it's Murdo you know?

Yeah it's Murdo I know. Cracking guy, great with the kids and a really good coach as well.

SuperAllyMcleod
11-03-2017, 12:37 PM

We really need links to every one of his interview in one handy thread - a perfect pick me up for any time that we need a laugh. [emoji4]

One Day Soon
11-03-2017, 12:39 PM
We really need links to every one of his interview in one handy thread - a perfect pick me up for any time that we need a laugh. [emoji4]

The Cathrobank

matty_f
11-03-2017, 12:42 PM
The Cathrobank

The Throda-thread.

Buc
11-03-2017, 12:43 PM
Just showed the clip to a non football following colleague and his response was "what is he talking about"😂

JackLadd
11-03-2017, 12:46 PM
Throda translation: "Pish I am, clue I don't have. Yes. Hmmm."

northstandhibby
11-03-2017, 12:49 PM

It looks fine for young kids for learning football basics with a static wooden model but the mans allegedly a Head Coach/Manager of fully grown established players who would find that kind of training laughable. He's never played 'grown up' football at a reasonable level nor has he 'managed' established players before. It's ridiculous the way the hun/yam media hyped him up before he's proven he's got what it takes.

glory glory

hibsbollah
11-03-2017, 12:57 PM
The Cathrobank

This should be deposit number one:

'My take is that there is only one person in the world that you can be. Which is you.'

1van Sprou7e
11-03-2017, 01:03 PM
Can someone explain the "throda" joke to me?

northstandhibby
11-03-2017, 01:05 PM

Ca 'thro' and Y 'oda'.

I think.

:greengrin

glory glory

Flynn
11-03-2017, 01:06 PM

I think it's a funny combination of throbber and Yoda. Could be wrong, though.

snooky
11-03-2017, 01:09 PM

Does his mum know he's oot?

The Spaceman
11-03-2017, 01:09 PM

If failure to understand the link between Yoda and Cathro you have, lost your childhood was. Hmm.

Jack Hackett
11-03-2017, 01:10 PM
Cathro + yoda = throda :greengrin

Waxy
11-03-2017, 01:11 PM
Training must be a hoot.
Right guys we must accept our goal that its unnacceptable to not accept our goal and our goals today is to make sure we dont not run around these cones as the cones are the cones and its ok.

Waxy
11-03-2017, 01:12 PM

Joke we must, rubbish club i must manage.

Scott Allan Key
11-03-2017, 01:19 PM
This should be deposit number one:

'My take is that there is only one person in the world that you can be. Which is you.'

Please let there be a book published of his quotes entitled, 'The Little Pink Book of Master 'Throda'.

11-03-2017, 01:33 PM
He talks in riddles. Clown Shoes.

Stan the Man
11-03-2017, 02:13 PM
#prayforcathro

Col2
11-03-2017, 02:18 PM
In a way I hope he gets a result today at home to a piss poor Hamilton side.

Assuming we are going up this year (fingers crossed) then I want this guy to stay in post until next season. I fear if he continues to lose and drag the yams down the league he will get the bullet at the end of the season.

It's brilliant viewing though.

SanFranHibs
11-03-2017, 02:23 PM
Some people speak and give the listener(s) earache, some people speak and give the listener(s) a headache, some people speak and can even give Del Boy an a**e ache, but Cathro is unique in that he speaks and gives people sore shoulders.

"Likewise even more so in this league. There's an adjustment to the situation no matter where it is, whether it's going up the way, to the side, or lower, however that is perceived."

:dunno:

Listener aside: Your team's sh*te

Part of the football here will always be the same. The fight, the early forward ball, the second ball, the intensity of that at different bits of the game.
"It will always be a factor, as will the fight and determination and the fight every team shows until the end of the game in this league.

"I wouldn't say it's something that's taken anybody by surprise. Could we have dealt with some of it better? Well we have to be honest enough and say of course. Because we understand where we are and we understand the aspects of our play, of our work and for sure, our results have to be better.

"There's a definite acceptance of those things from my part and I think of all of us. The full group. We are focused on knowing what those things are and making those improvements quickly

Hearts' player turnover in January has been blamed for being a factor in the team's slump, with nine players coming in and six leaving.

"That's something that is a valid point," he admitted.

"It allows us to focus on that more because we've not had those positive results. It creates the sense it's a bigger problem than what it is.

"It's always a difficulty, whether things are going well or things aren't going well. It's time, spending time together on the pitch and building relationships inside the team is always an important thing."

He continued: "Do I think it was such a big factor in us having had poor results and a bad run? It will be one of the factors. But it's not an overbearing one.

It becomes more difficult in that situation in any league in the world, maybe more so here because you have every single team who fight, fight until the end of every game for every scrap, are happy to defend with ten men, will attack direct to strikers

A lot of the times the games, and I think particularly in this league, the life the game takes can make it more difficult for us to dominate play the way we want to at times.

I do have some sympathy for Mr Cathro. Everything he said was taken in context, although it is amusing that how the influx of 9 players in January has gone from being 'if you bring in 9 players you must be better' to 'being a factor in the team's slump'.

I get the feeling that Cathro is hoping to build his legacy only by coming up with a Shankly-esque or Clough-esque quote that will be repeated by future footballing generations.

He needs to learn there is a difference between keeping your mouth shut and saying nothing. His interviews would be better and much more informative if he just kept his mouth shut. He already says nothing.

DarlingtonHibee
11-03-2017, 02:24 PM
Guy is a muppet, still agent colquohon and potter got their commission thanks to Foh!!

tamig
11-03-2017, 02:28 PM
"In this moment" is a phrase I commonly hear being used by many of the foreign coaches in the EPL. It's not something your normal Scot - or Dundonian for that matter - would ever use. A classic Cathroism.

BS44
11-03-2017, 02:37 PM
When he was interviewed after the Ross County game the other week he said that he was certain that lot will win their next game. Today we'll find out if he's good for his word or he does indeed talk a lot of......

DarlingtonHibee
11-03-2017, 02:40 PM
When he was interviewed after the Ross County game the other week he said that he was certain that lot will win their next game. Today we'll find out if he's good for his word or he does indeed talk a lot of......

He's surely gone today if they lose.

SanFranHibs
11-03-2017, 02:42 PM
He's surely gone today if they lose.

In an updated fashion, his bum will be out his Windows

jacomo
11-03-2017, 02:52 PM

Levein is hanging him out to dry.

So are the media - they hardly bother to write a story anymore, they just quote him verbatim and leave it at that.

How long can it last? I know he's on a long contract but the guy is floundering.

lord bunberry
11-03-2017, 02:55 PM
He sounds like Duncan Ferguson on coke.

Joe6-2
11-03-2017, 03:00 PM
Eh?

bingo70
11-03-2017, 03:04 PM
Apparently another plane fly over protest this afternoon.

livi hibs 1875
11-03-2017, 03:06 PM
Apparently another plane fly over protest this afternoon.

Ha ha ha got to be a wind up

HibbiesandtheBaddies
11-03-2017, 03:07 PM

He just needs to clean his head from negative thoughts.

Is It On....
11-03-2017, 03:22 PM
He is under massive pressure and the nerves are coming through via his sometimes incoherent sentences. I feel a bit sorry for him (sometimes) but Jambo fans deserve everything they get as it's they who hounded out the Caveman.

Col2
11-03-2017, 03:37 PM
Preston. "Brilliant Hearts, brilliant Walker, Brilliant chance, Brilliant save"

Every second word.

Fud.

Paisley Hibby
11-03-2017, 03:47 PM
Preston. "Brilliant Hearts, brilliant Walker, Brilliant chance, Brilliant save"

Every second word.

Fud.

And did I really just hear him say it could be 7-0!!? 😎

Holmesdale Hibs
11-03-2017, 04:00 PM
If he wasn't the ****bos manager I'd feel quite sorry for him. I used to hate public speaking and that was generally to friendly audiences and without worrying about tv cameras. He clearly isn't comfortable and waffles utter ***** when he's nervous. But since he is their manager I don't mind having a laugh at his expense.

Keith_M
11-03-2017, 05:41 PM
Looks like he is a genius after all.

tamig
11-03-2017, 06:15 PM
Looks like he is a genius after all.
The circus that is JKB will have him marked as a coaching genius once more and the team will be ready to challenge Celtc for the title next season.

Is It On....
11-03-2017, 06:39 PM
And did I really just hear him say it could be 7-0!!? 😎

I heard that as well..what a numpty..

Jim44
11-03-2017, 06:44 PM
The circus that is JKB will have him marked as a coaching genius once more and the team will be ready to challenge Celtc for the title next season.

By the end of this season, it might be Celtic challenging the Jambos next season.

.Sean.
11-03-2017, 08:39 PM
He's about as much use as Hearts new singing section, seen a video floating about on Facebook 😂😂😂

Babyshamble
12-03-2017, 01:43 AM
Anybody hear cathro's pre match interview ? Was asked his for his thoughts about how the new Huns manager would settle in.his response " sorry,I Couldnae care less " 👏👏👏good on him 👍

SirDavidsNapper
12-03-2017, 01:50 AM
It looks like they'll stay up now after todays win so he'll maybe be a bit more coherent in interviews. They are a truly dreadful side. I can't believe we only scored 3 against that dross

hibsbollah
12-03-2017, 06:58 AM
Anybody hear cathro's pre match interview ? Was asked his for his thoughts about how the new Huns manager would settle in.his response " sorry,I Couldnae care less " 👏👏👏good on him 👍
Its how we should all respond, John Collins was the same, 'no oldfirm questions please, I'm here to talk about Hibs'.

Sir David Gray
12-03-2017, 12:41 PM

It's the one thing I wish Lennon would change.

I get why he's asked so many questions about Celtic considering he's played for and managed them but I wish he would just ignore them and stick to Hibs matters.

HFCdeb
12-03-2017, 12:53 PM

Good for him. The only time other managers should even think about talking about them is when they're playing them.

heretoday
12-03-2017, 03:02 PM
It's the one thing I wish Lennon would change.

I get why he's asked so many questions about Celtic considering he's played for and managed them but I wish he would just ignore them and stick to Hibs matters.

He'll probably end up back at Celtic one day.

Jim44
12-03-2017, 03:21 PM
With the pressure off a bit, did Cathro have a decent interview after their win yesterday?

12-03-2017, 03:38 PM
He's about as much use as Hearts new singing section, seen a video floating about on Facebook 😂😂😂

Link?

bingo70
12-03-2017, 03:56 PM
Link?

You don't want to see it. It's really pretty embarrassing, still get a Beamer thinking about it.

Thecat23
12-03-2017, 03:59 PM
Link?

https://twitter.com/rymoffat/status/840620650586869764