PDA

View Full Version : So are we back to filling the corners in?

greenlex
11-03-2017, 12:06 AM
Welll?

DickieDastardly
11-03-2017, 12:12 AM
I doubt that will happen however I did hear today that Hibs now have planning permission for the land at the corner of the famous five; no idea what they have in mind though.

Glory Lurker
11-03-2017, 12:14 AM
Would you rather watch from the corner, or from a second tier on the east?

superfurryhibby
11-03-2017, 12:18 AM
Never going to happen.

Deansy
11-03-2017, 01:09 AM
Welll?

I have no doubt that one day the corners WILL be filled in - however, it'll take 2-3 consecutive seasons of successful/good football to do it !

2-3 consecutive seasons of successful/good football = crowds up and a Hibs-support back up to the size of support a team/club with our history demands !. We've went through some horrendous years with the majority of money being spent on developing our top-class stadium (and training-academy) and our neighbours across the city financially/artificially manipulating the derby-history for some 30+ years - any other club's support would've been seriously affected by such events - detrimentally !. But unsurprisingly, considering some of the guff/gash teams Hibs have fielded over the last few years, our support has remained steadfast - no other club can match our support's devotion and loyalty (say in terms of season-ticket sales) despite receiving very little back from some of the Hibs teams/players we've had to field/support !. However, now that ER's more or less accomplished, I reckon (God it hurts me to say this) that Petrie's statement of years ago -

'Once our redevelopement of Easter Road Stadium is completed, all available money will then go towards putting a team on the field that reflects our magnificent stadium' (or words to that effect !)

- will come true !.

NAE NOOKIE
11-03-2017, 02:57 AM
Never going to happen.

The day I first set foot in Easter Road it had a totally random shed at one end that didn't even cover all the seats, a main stand that looked like it could be dismantled with tin snips and a spanner and acres of open concrete terracing ............. If somebody had told me then that one day it would be all seated, all covered and 3 of the stands would be double decker with restaurants and bars I would have laughed my backside off.

Never say never my friend :aok:

Billy Mac
11-03-2017, 05:24 AM
The day I first set foot in Easter Road it had a totally random shed at one end that didn't even cover all the seats, a main stand that looked like it could be dismantled with tin snips and a spanner and acres of open concrete terracing ............. If somebody had told me then that one day it would be all seated, all covered and 3 of the stands would be double decker with restaurants and bars I would have laughed my backside off.

No
need! We have a wonderful stadium and some 'Sunshine from Leith' needs to get onto the pitch.The grass at ER is great for this time of year and all that has been a challenge has been opposing teams defending like a German division being chased out of the USSR at the end of 45! Was at the St Johnstone semi and B.Rose at the bus shelters, toilets, steps, infrastructure of the ground absolutely average at best.

jgl07
11-03-2017, 06:03 AM
Step one will be to regularly fill the three stands that currently constitute the home end.

Step two will be to take over half the South Stand for all matches.

Step three will be to fill two of the corners in and put big screens in the other two.

So it's all a long way down the line but it cannot be ruled out.

Meanwhile our neighbours will be able to do bugger all beyond filling the expanded Wongadome.

makaveli1875
11-03-2017, 06:11 AM
only if were gonna challenge celtic next season :greengrin

Septimus
11-03-2017, 07:36 AM
[QUOTE=NAE NOOKIE;4974522]The day I first set foot in Easter Road it had a totally random shed at one end that didn't even cover all the seats, a main stand that looked like it could be dismantled with tin snips and a spanner and acres of open concrete terracing

And Gordon Smith, Lawrie Reilly, Willie Ormond, Eddie Turnbull, Bobby Johnstone, Tommy Younger, Jock Govan etc etc. I know which era of football I would rather watch.

Waxy
11-03-2017, 07:37 AM
Never going to happen.

Is too

Dashing Bob S
11-03-2017, 07:38 AM
Corner no, jambos yes, we're the mental CCS

bigwheel
11-03-2017, 07:40 AM
Corner no, jambos yes, we're the mental CCS

:greengrin on form this morning DBS...:aok:

Enough said
11-03-2017, 07:44 AM
I doubt that will happen however I did hear today that Hibs now have planning permission for the land at the corner of the famous five; no idea what they have in mind though.

Spot on .. meant to be a new multi club store and pub with access to east and ff stands

Joe6-2
11-03-2017, 07:46 AM
I have no doubt that one day the corners WILL be filled in - however, it'll take 2-3 consecutive seasons of successful/good football to do it !

2-3 consecutive seasons of successful/good football = crowds up and a Hibs-support back up to the size of support a team/club with our history demands !. We've went through some horrendous years with the majority of money being spent on developing our top-class stadium (and training-academy) and our neighbours across the city financially/artificially manipulating the derby-history for some 30+ years - any other club's support would've been seriously affected by such events - detrimentally !. But unsurprisingly, considering some of the guff/gash teams Hibs have fielded over the last few years, our support has remained steadfast - no other club can match our support's devotion and loyalty (say in terms of season-ticket sales) despite receiving very little back from some of the Hibs teams/players we've had to field/support !. However, now that ER's more or less accomplished, I reckon (God it hurts me to say this) that Petrie's statement of years ago -

'Once our redevelopement of Easter Road Stadium is completed, all available money will then go towards putting a team on the field that reflects our magnificent stadium' (or words to that effect !)

- will come true !.

Spot on!!

Alfiembra
11-03-2017, 07:52 AM
Much as I'd love to see a return to the days when ER regularly saw crowds of 25-30k and more. I remember somewhere that filing in the corners would be detrimental to the pitch because it restricted air flow into the arena. It may be that with all the new technology of semi synthetic grass and lights to encourage regrowth that one can't happen without the other. Do Hibs have that sort of equipment and budget available to them.

bigwheel
11-03-2017, 08:00 AM
I cant imagine our average crowds going up much from what they are now...might even go down if we end up vying for 4-6th in top league...No needs for corners to be filled in.

Niffy
11-03-2017, 08:05 AM

My coo shed season ticket seat was right at the wet/dry point. Still have an unused poncho that they dished out for a while.

Keith_M
11-03-2017, 08:14 AM
Let's just go the whole hog and build a third tier on each of the stands.

Gmack7
11-03-2017, 08:23 AM

That would mean the design for the retractable roof will need tweaked

Keith_M
11-03-2017, 08:25 AM
That would mean the design for the retractable roof will need tweaked

You're so negative!

bigwheel
11-03-2017, 08:26 AM

you are being ridiculous now....my idea of an underground tier, which can be raised up for the big games is much more sensible..

Heedersnvolleys
11-03-2017, 08:36 AM
Can't fill in the corner at the FF / West stand corner there is a road in the way

Saturday Boy
11-03-2017, 08:37 AM

Surely that would make the walk from the helipad too far?

Keith_M
11-03-2017, 08:44 AM
Surely that would make the walk from the helipad too far?

The helipad would be on top of the sliding roof, so quick access to the upper tier.

you are being ridiculous now....my idea of an underground tier, which can be raised up for the big games is much more sensible..

We can't do that because the secret underground tunnel Rod uses to drive to East Mains would be in the way

Slavers
11-03-2017, 09:15 AM
A third tier on the west before we fill the corners in IMO.

This would allow for a greater increase in capacity. Then once the third tier is sold out then fill the corners in.

Topographic Hibby
11-03-2017, 09:23 AM
The day I first set foot in Easter Road it had a totally random shed at one end that didn't even cover all the seats, a main stand that looked like it could be dismantled with tin snips and a spanner and acres of open concrete terracing .............
.....and don't forget the classy Half-Time scoreboard contraption. Imagine that being you job, to risk life and limb climbing up a ladder at the Dunbar End whilst trying to remember something like A:1-0 B:0-2 C:1-1 etc.

HiBremian
11-03-2017, 09:24 AM

Keep it down there for Yam fans when we play them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RoYO!
11-03-2017, 09:27 AM
Can't fill in the corner at the FF / West stand corner there is a road in the way

'Can't' is quite a strong word. I'm sure it is possible. It may involve a different look to the other stands but you could have pillars where the current pavement is and the upper deck cantilevered so there's an overhang over the rest of the road. Otherwise it may be possible to just put in a lower deck joining N to W.

Glory Lurker
11-03-2017, 09:55 AM
'Can't' is quite a strong word. I'm sure it is possible. It may involve a different look to the other stands but you could have pillars where the current pavement is and the upper deck cantilevered so there's an overhang over the rest of the road. Otherwise it may be possible to just put in a lower deck joining N to W.

I thought the plans show the road level being lowered so it goes through a tunnel?

Onceinawhile
11-03-2017, 10:01 AM
A third tier on the west before we fill the corners in IMO.

This would allow for a greater increase in capacity. Then once the third tier is sold out then fill the corners in.

If memory serves, a temporary third tier on the estate was mooted for if Scotland had been awarded the hosting the euros. Can't remember which year though.

Pretty Boy
11-03-2017, 10:05 AM
My coo shed season ticket seat was right at the wet/dry point. Still have an unused poncho that they dished out for a while.

Am I making this up or did the roof not blow of the old cow shed in high winds? Very early 90s maybe?

Is It On....
11-03-2017, 10:12 AM
.....and don't forget the classy Half-Time scoreboard contraption. Imagine that being you job, to risk life and limb climbing up a ladder at the Dunbar End whilst trying to remember something like A:1-0 B:0-2 C:1-1 etc.

That scoreboard thing reminds me of Tannadice -Jim McLean was one tight ####. We had an electronic scoreboard by that time that stopped working after, rumour had it, Pierce O'Leary (Celtic player for younger members) hit it with a wayward shot.

jdships
11-03-2017, 10:47 AM
Heard in the pub last night that the two bars in " Famous Five" are to close and an NHS Medical Centre is to be built in they're place bringing in an annual six-figure rent
Anyone else heard this or is it just a rumour/ Gregg's type story?
:confused:

Haymaker
11-03-2017, 12:24 PM
Heard in the pub last night that the two bars in " Famous Five" are to close and an NHS Medical Centre is to be built in they're place bringing in an annual six-figure rent

Behind the goals bar is closing aye.

One Day Soon
11-03-2017, 12:27 PM
Is too

That's post of the month for March already.

Zazu62
11-03-2017, 12:28 PM
We don't need to increase the capacity it's fine the way it is, better using the money on keeping a good team on the park and having decent coaches

NAE NOOKIE
11-03-2017, 12:31 PM
[QUOTE=NAE NOOKIE;4974522]The day I first set foot in Easter Road it had a totally random shed at one end that didn't even cover all the seats, a main stand that looked like it could be dismantled with tin snips and a spanner and acres of open concrete terracing

And Gordon Smith, Lawrie Reilly, Willie Ormond, Eddie Turnbull, Bobby Johnstone, Tommy Younger, Jock Govan etc etc. I know which era of football I would rather watch.

Unfortunately mate I started going regularly just as the Turnbull's Tornadoes era had ended .... it was pretty grim stuff for most of the time and a massive bowl with 6,000 fans in it most weeks didn't make the situation any better :greengrin

Glory Lurker
11-03-2017, 12:33 PM
We don't need to increase the capacity it's fine the way it is, better using the money on keeping a good team on the park and having decent coaches

That's all well and good, but how will we fit in all the people who want to see them? :greengrin

One Day Soon
11-03-2017, 12:33 PM
If we're going to be doing all this extra building we're going to need a whole bunch more of Jambo strips to put in the foundations underneath each structure.

How's that working out for you Yam chums?

NAE NOOKIE
11-03-2017, 12:38 PM

Filling in the corners has nothing to do with increasing capacity, it has to do with enclosing the ground .... as for the pitch suffering as a result, ER might be the Leith San Siro but isn't actually the real San Siro, the sun and wind can still reach the pitch and even if it couldn't clubs with far higher stands than us seem to manage just fine.

Andy74
11-03-2017, 12:43 PM
I cant imagine our average crowds going up much from what they are now...might even go down if we end up vying for 4-6th in top league...No needs for corners to be filled in.

I think they will go down too. Challenging for the league is interesting.

Booker5time
11-03-2017, 01:43 PM
Instead of filling in the corners, Would like to see us go down the Celtic rout of building a indoor training dome at East Mains if there room for one ?

H18S NX
11-03-2017, 02:45 PM

I heard that too

judas
11-03-2017, 03:06 PM

I heard it was the restaurant that was closing for the medical centre. We could do with more bars in the ground surely. The queues at the bar in the FF stand say it all.

judas
11-03-2017, 03:13 PM

Isn't it for the FF statue.

Id like to see a building accommodating bars and function suites. Big match day demand for drink. I never understand why long queues are permitted at the bars. We could be coining it in. Petrieeeeee!!!!!!!

ColinNish
11-03-2017, 03:28 PM
Yes, they are closing, where have you been? 😃

ColinNish
11-03-2017, 03:28 PM
I heard it was the restaurant that was closing for the medical centre. We could do with more bars in the ground surely. The queues at the bar in the FF stand say it all.

There is no restaurant in the FF.

judas
11-03-2017, 03:33 PM
There is no restaurant in the FF.

So what's up in The Level where the boxes are?

ColinNish
11-03-2017, 03:40 PM

A bar

linlithgowhibbie
11-03-2017, 03:41 PM

One of the two "Behind the Goals" bar lounges

Keith_M
11-03-2017, 03:44 PM
Am I making this up or did the roof not blow of the old cow shed in high winds? Very early 90s maybe?

Part of the roof did come off round that time, yeah. Can't remember the reason but it might have been high winds.

When they first put the roof on the East Terrace (85?), part of the breezeblock wall at the end fell down during a game, and they didn't rebuild it for years.

We obviously used good quality builders back in the day.

Mr White
11-03-2017, 03:48 PM
Part of the roof did come off round that time, yeah. Can't remember the reason but it might have been high winds.

When they first put the roof on the East Terrace (85?), part of the breezeblock wall at the end fell down during a game, and they didn't rebuild it for years.

We obviously used good quality builders back in the day.

We had seasons in the cowshed the year that happened, 92/93. It was storm damage and we played the huns before it was replaced. They won 3 4 in quite an entertaining match and I remember it feeling quite strange with no roof above us.