PDA

View Full Version : Boyle

northstandhibby
10-03-2017, 10:45 PM
Thought Boyle was fantastic tonight apart from his miss. He was superb throughout and just pipped by Shinnie for motm.

:thumbsup:

Father Ted
10-03-2017, 10:49 PM
not looking for an argument but not good enough imho

IFONLY
10-03-2017, 10:50 PM
Thought Boyle was fantastic tonight apart from his miss. He was superb throughout and just pipped by Shinnie for motm.

Oh deary me.

we are hibs
Thought he was poor. Far too many times he cut inside and didn't play the early pass. Don't want to sound too critical of him but he is a bit of a headless chicken at times imo

Frank Moon
Nah not tonight. Sorry

northstandhibby
10-03-2017, 10:52 PM
Surely a wind up!!! He was fantastic taking the ball up the wing and taking the ball on. No way.

glory glory

lucky
10-03-2017, 10:53 PM
He's a good out ball to get us up the park but needs to show a bit more composure in the final third

Unseen work
10-03-2017, 10:54 PM
He done his job, got at Dixon without causing too much hassle.

Not a great performance but certainly not poor.

On another day he would of got an assist and a goal.

Dashing Bob S
10-03-2017, 10:54 PM
Works hard and has pace to trouble teams but his composure is non existent. Gareth Evans lives.

JackLadd
10-03-2017, 10:56 PM
Thought he was good, plenty runs and lost causes chased, very similar to Sproule for pace and effort.

northstandhibby
10-03-2017, 10:57 PM
Boyle was pure class tonight, can't understand how others didn't see that!!!

glory glory

NAE NOOKIE
10-03-2017, 10:59 PM
He worked hard and a couple of times he put decent balls into the box ..... but sometimes his decision making is woeful .... if that game had ended up a draw Lennon would have hung him from the crossbar for that miss, he showed a total lack of composure.

B.H.F.C
10-03-2017, 11:00 PM
Boyle was pure class tonight, can't understand how others didn't see that!!!

glory glory

The left back tackled him more often than not.

Works hard, does a job, lacks composure.

RyeSloan
10-03-2017, 11:00 PM
Boyle is what he is...if he could pick the pass every time he would be playing at a higher level.

The guy is exciting and infuriating to watch but he stretches teams all night long and deserves a lot of credit for his performance tonight. As ever far from perfect but he ran Dixon ragged!

eastcoasthibby
10-03-2017, 11:01 PM
Missed a sitter against st mirren as well, he needs to concentrate on taking players on with pace work hard and take chances when the y comes along from now on...again never will be a striker like he wants to be ..but has something to give us in the games ..switch on martin earn a contract by using your pace properly !!

hibeg
10-03-2017, 11:02 PM

Jeez. You must be a relative :confused:

Pretty Boy
10-03-2017, 11:02 PM
Wish he would be more direct sometimes. He has pace to burn but often telegraphs what he is going to do. Also cut inside a lot which was bizarre as he was then teriffied to used his left foot..

I like Boyle but he was so so tonight. He is what he is though and is a decent player to have around.

northstandhibby
10-03-2017, 11:05 PM
Boyle is what he is...if he could pick the pass every time he would be playing at a higher level.

The guy is exciting and infuriating to watch but he stretches teams all night long and deserves a lot of credit for his performance tonight. As ever far from perfect but he ran Dixon ragged!

We've had a couple of intellectual differences Si Mar on brexit but we definitely agree on this!!! Boyle was very good tonight and deserves a lot of credit for the way he ran at the defense and past them.

glory glory

one day maybe...
10-03-2017, 11:08 PM

Spot on.. if he could whip a cross in like Beckham he'd be no where near ER. Guy gives 100%... Yes it was a horrible miss with the goal at his mercy, but he gets paid probably a £1.5k week, Messi he's not, me however i'd have in our team every week 💚

dp00
10-03-2017, 11:39 PM

This [emoji122][emoji122]... He also is one of the players who just get hibs and what it means

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enough said
11-03-2017, 06:03 AM

Stay if the booze mate..

FilipinoHibs
11-03-2017, 06:15 AM
He was good for an out ball but cut pointlessly inside too often. Final ball was woeful as was his finishing. Did not cleanly beat his man leaving him off balance. Therefore no time or space to make a good cross.

Libby Hibby
11-03-2017, 06:21 AM
I like Boyle and what he brings to the side but last night he was not on his usual game.

blackpoolhibs
11-03-2017, 06:26 AM
I like Boyle, we can all see he's limited as a player but what he gives us that no other player in our squad has is pace.

He makes defenders defend, and he makes them stay back because they know he has the beating of them with that pace.

Not his best game last night, but he still contributed to the win. :thumbsup:

PeterboroHibee
11-03-2017, 06:32 AM
I think Boyle is an important player in the team, but maybe wasnt at his best last night. Too many wrong decisions, but equally I dont think he got the best of service (too many balls to feet rather than in to space). In saying that, he could have finished with a goal and an assist with the one good ball he put in.

AlbertK86
11-03-2017, 06:56 AM
Thought he done well enough but after Dixon was booked he should have been running past him on the outside every time. For some reason he started cutting inside just about every time

<TTStyledTextFrame: 0x1201b970>

heretoday
11-03-2017, 07:15 AM
I like Boyle and what he brings to the side but last night he was not on his usual game.

That miss was appalling. He could have put us in easy street.

RyeSloan
11-03-2017, 07:53 AM
We've had a couple of intellectual differences Si Mar on brexit but we definitely agree on this!!! Boyle was very good tonight and deserves a lot of credit for the way he ran at the defense and past them.

glory glory

Ha ha aye just a couple [emoji57]

I get why people say he didn't do well but I'm pretty sure Lennon will have been delighted with his shift. No coincidence that Dixon didn't cross that half way line all game and even his miss from 8 yards came about due to him carrying the ball forwards and causing United a lot of difficulty.

Gives his all and adds pace and directness that no other player in the squad can do so more than happy to have him around.

HibernianJK
11-03-2017, 07:57 AM
Not for me last night thought he was poor.

southsider
11-03-2017, 08:18 AM
In the 2nd half he picked up the ball at the edge of our box and ran 70 yards upfield where he won us a corner. Good turn of pace and defenders hate that. Big Effe was outstanding tonight - MOM by a mile.

JimBHibees
11-03-2017, 08:37 AM
Wish he would be more direct sometimes. He has pace to burn but often telegraphs what he is going to do. Also cut inside a lot which was bizarre as he was then teriffied to used his left foot..

I like Boyle but he was so so tonight. He is what he is though and is a decent player to have around.

Agree good option to have but quite predictable wish he didn't take the ball right up to the full back but just knock it and run. Pace helps and like his attitude, would like his chance back again as that miss could have had huge implications if they equalised.

Feed McGraw
11-03-2017, 08:48 AM
Might be wrong but his sitter looked to me like he tried to hit it with the outside of his foot instead of just putting his foot through it and aiming lower.

JimBHibees
11-03-2017, 08:51 AM
Might be wrong but his sitter looked to me like he tried to hit it with the outside of his foot instead of just putting his foot through it and aiming lower.

Yep looked like he cut across it rather than smashing it with laces.

lyonhibs
11-03-2017, 08:54 AM
Decent player to have on the pitch when you need it to go to the corners. Can't fault his effort, but he's not a very good football player overall.

fishybeaver
11-03-2017, 09:07 AM
Decent player to have on the pitch when you need it to go to the corners. Can't fault his effort, but he's not a very good football player overall.
Spot on

Diclonius
11-03-2017, 09:15 AM
Reminds me so much of Sproule. Fast as ****, gets into great positions, then invariably makes a mess of it four times out of five. Rather that than someone with no pace or effort!

southsider
11-03-2017, 09:26 AM
Why don't we just bring in Deek to coach him when to strike the ball. Not as if he has anything else to do and I am sure his part-time wage would be a problem.

emerald green
11-03-2017, 11:05 AM
I would never fault Martin Boyle for effort, but I'm afraid he misses too many sitters in front of goal.

Just in the last few games there was a bad miss against St Mirren and another one last night. He has lots of pace which is great, but lacks composure which isn't. If he had both, he would be an excellent player.

Eyrie
11-03-2017, 12:07 PM
I like Boyle, but only at this level. I'm not convinced he can add enough of an end product to be a regular after promotion. Then again, teams may be more open against us which would make his raw pace a proper asset.

CRAZYHIBBY
11-03-2017, 12:11 PM
I love the squirrel.

northstandhibby
11-03-2017, 12:12 PM
I love the squirrel.

Me too!!!

glory glory

Green_one
11-03-2017, 12:55 PM
I love the squirrel.

Thnk the similarity to Sproule is a decent one. Good pace and spirit but not always delivery. I like him and he varies our play at times

NAE NOOKIE
11-03-2017, 01:55 PM
Spot on.. if he could whip a cross in like Beckham he'd be no where near ER. Guy gives 100%... Yes it was a horrible miss with the goal at his mercy, but he gets paid probably a £1.5k week, Messi he's not, me however i'd have in our team every week 💚

I like Martin Boyle .... he gives 100% as you say and he takes watching which ties up defenders, that's a decent contribution to the team and makes him worth having in it, he also seems like a nice bloke too.

What I don't agree with is the highlighted bit ..... being able to take chances like that is why so very few people get paid to play professional football and so many don't .... I expect a player good enough to make a full time living at the beautiful game to be able to bury what was near enough an open goal, its a chance I would have been kicking myself for missing in a pub league game back in the day ..... he didn't have to be Messi to put that chance away last night, he just had to be Martin Boyle professional football player and I bet he would agree with me.

NORTHERNHIBBY
11-03-2017, 02:03 PM
That miss was awful. When you see it back, with a bit of composure he could even have taken a touch. With his pace, if he could finish regularly he would be in every week. Can't fault him for effort and application and that when he has missed a chance like that one, he has at least been in the right position. IMO when we go up, we will need a player like him but I think that we will bring in someone who can do it better.

Borderhibbie76
11-03-2017, 02:10 PM
I love the Squirrel and he gives it everything when he plays for us...but he was poor last night and that miss could well have cost us dearly

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

ancient hibee
11-03-2017, 02:23 PM
If he's getting £75000 a year you would think he might practice hitting a 8 feet by 8 yard target from 10 yards more often than he does.

HFCdeb
11-03-2017, 03:09 PM

This. He's the most one dimensional player we've had since Sproule. Love how direct he is and he causes defences a big headache, but he has very, very little end product and it can be infuriating to watch.

G B Young
12-03-2017, 10:43 AM
Chris Humphrey was brought in to address the need for extra width/pace and due to his injury I'd say a hell of a lot has been demanded of Boyle. I think he deserves a lot of credit for that. 100% player whose pace is a huge asset and while his finishing can be erratic he has also weighed in with some terrific goals. One of Stubbs' less high profile signings but he's proved to be a very good one overall.

Super_JMcGinn
12-03-2017, 10:53 AM
Chris Humphrey was brought in to address the need for extra width/pace and due to his injury I'd say a hell of a lot has been demanded of Boyle. I think he deserves a lot of credit for that. 100% player whose pace is a huge asset and while his finishing can be erratic he has also weighed in with some terrific goals. One of Stubbs' less high profile signings but he's proved to be a very good one overall.

A player who flatters to deceive way too often for me, gets into great positions with his pace but rarely does anything with it and almost always shoots when he should pass and vice versa, he's a prime target to be a boo boy of the future if he stays.

I would personally keep him and use him as a sub to come on and change a game for us.

500miles
12-03-2017, 10:53 AM
7 goals and 6 assists from a semi regular. Decent return I'd say, even though he misses the odd sitter. I also think his pace alone makes defences very uncomfortable and gives Shinnie, Holt and Cummings space.

HFCdeb
12-03-2017, 11:42 AM
7 goals and 6 assists from a semi regular. Decent return I'd say, even though he misses the odd sitter. I also think his pace alone makes defences very uncomfortable and gives Shinnie, Holt and Cummings space.

He does his job well, no doubt about it. 100% from Martin every time. Think that's what makes it all the more frustrating for us when his decision making is inexplicable and finishing is rash. For what it's worth, I'd keep him for going up, that pace is an asset in any league.

500miles
12-03-2017, 12:45 PM
He does his job well, no doubt about it. 100% from Martin every time. Think that's what makes it all the more frustrating for us when his decision making is inexplicable and finishing is rash. For what it's worth, I'd keep him for going up, that pace is an asset in any league.

I think players with his pace are always a bit like that at this level, otherwise they'd be in the English championship.I'd argue that he's only 23, a bit younger than Ivan was when he signed and he'll wise up. I'd like to see him work on his strength a bit, it would make him a really threatening forward.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
12-03-2017, 01:32 PM
Reminds me so much of Sproule. Fast as ****, gets into great positions, then invariably makes a mess of it four times out of five. Rather that than someone with no pace or effort!

Always thought ivan got too much unfair criticism for his finishing. From what i remember, his finishing was very good.

Bit maybe i habe just forgotten lots of howlers!

jacomo
12-03-2017, 02:26 PM
Works hard and has pace to trouble teams but his composure is non existent. Gareth Evans lives.

He reminds me of Ivan Sproule.

He's a great weapon to have, just not a very sophisticated or reliable one. Still, he must be responsible for at least 10 points in the League + some effective contributions in the Scottish Cup.

He has limitations for sure but I'm a fan.

HFCdeb
12-03-2017, 03:36 PM
I think players with his pace are always a bit like that at this level, otherwise they'd be in the English championship.I'd argue that he's only 23, a bit younger than Ivan was when he signed and he'll wise up. I'd like to see him work on his strength a bit, it would make him a really threatening forward.

Yeah time is on his side in terms of his age so hopefully he develops further. It's impossible not to like him.

Eyrie
12-03-2017, 06:23 PM
Yeah time is on his side in terms of his age so hopefully he develops further. It's impossible not to like him.

I think everyone likes him. The question is whether he can contribute enough for us in next season's top flight.

HFCdeb
12-03-2017, 06:38 PM
I think everyone likes him. The question is whether he can contribute enough for us in next season's top flight.

I know. I think his pace would be a problem for any defence so I'd give him a season at least.

Eyrie
12-03-2017, 06:42 PM
I know. I think his pace would be a problem for any defence so I'd give him a season at least.

I'd be very surprised if Boyle is one of the higher earners, so he'd certainly be affordable if we want to find out. I speculated earlier that he may get more room to use his pace once we're promoted.

HibbyAndy
12-03-2017, 06:44 PM
I like him, He done a job for us when Jason was banished to the bench for a while , I'd like to see him in the premier league when we go up to run at teams that don't put every single man behind the ball.. He's nowhere near as bad as folk would suggest

HFCdeb
12-03-2017, 06:53 PM
I'd be very surprised if Boyle is one of the higher earners, so he'd certainly be affordable if we want to find out. I speculated earlier that he may get more room to use his pace once we're promoted.

Definitely think there will be more opportunities for him to use it when there's not 11 men parked in their own half. He certainly ran Hearts ragged in the replay...but they're so sh*te I don't think they're a fair reflection of your standard SPFL team 😜