PDA

View Full Version : Dundee United fans planning "We want Thompson out" protest at Hibs clash

09-03-2017, 06:38 PM
With any luck this will affect the United players.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/dundee-united-fans-planning-we-9996414

Dundee United fans planning "We want Thompson out" protest at Hibs clash

Supporters group Fans United ready to stage demo against Tannadice chairman.

Dundee United fans are planning an angry protest that will demand chairman Stephen Thompson leaves the club.
Supporter group Fans United want Arabs to chant "we want Thompson out" during the 10th minute of Friday’s clash with Hibs at Tannadice.
Fans United have also printed hundreds of flyers which they want supporters to hold up while chanting for two minutes.
It will be the latest voicing of opposition to the United chief by fans, a section of which have become increasingly frustrated by their club’s plight.
They staged an angry demo outside Tannadice following a defeat to Hamilton last April.
Arabs also vented their fury during the loss to city rivals Dundee that consigned them to relegation.
The demo comes after the club announced £1.55million losses that is forcing Thompson to slash costs.
Dundee United are seven points behind Hibs but will haul themselves back into the title race with a win over the Championship leaders.

Carheenlea
09-03-2017, 07:30 PM
Shame it's not outside before the game - me and my mate had great entertainment joining in with the Rangers fans booing and chanting ant-board slogans at a mass demo outside Ibrox before a Hibs game a couple of seasons back. We had hoped to hear Bomber Browns speech but arrived too late. This one doesn't sound as much fun.

Dashing Bob S
09-03-2017, 07:39 PM
Was about to heartily endorse before I realised they were talking about Steven, not Craig.

jacomo
09-03-2017, 07:41 PM
Fans have every right to express their opinion and of course we had our own protests when we went down.

But I do find the timing of this quite odd. They are still in the hunt for promotion and this is a pivotal match. Why now?

Billy Whizz
09-03-2017, 08:06 PM
Fans have every right to express their opinion and of course we had our own protests when we went down.

But I do find the timing of this quite odd. They are still in the hunt for promotion and this is a pivotal match. Why now?

TV cameras maybe. They've been on his case for a while, selling all their best assets for a decent price, then the team on a downward spiral

hibbysam
09-03-2017, 08:25 PM
Would be amusing if we just sung even louder during that two minutes so they can't hear the United fans. Would be a total waste of time and money!!

Mr White
09-03-2017, 08:33 PM
Would be amusing if we just sung even louder during that two minutes so they can't hear the United fans. Would be a total waste of time and money!!

I suspect that's probably how Stephen Thompson feels about his family's involvement in running Dundee Utd.

Billy Whizz
09-03-2017, 08:47 PM
I suspect that's probably how Stephen Thompson feels about his family's involvement in running Dundee Utd.

Maybe, but his Eddie wanted McLean and Co out, and was very vocal about it

NadeAteMyLunch!
09-03-2017, 10:04 PM
Ridiculous that this shambles of a club are still within striking distance of us to be honest.

JackLadd
09-03-2017, 10:12 PM
Ridiculous that this shambles of a club are still within striking distance of us to be honest.

Agreed, but we have three consecutive home games after United to win this tinpot league before the Sheep semi.

Springbank
10-03-2017, 05:51 AM
I see Jim Duffy is in the hunt for the motherwell job

With utd imploding and duff Jimmy maybe off, our rivals are doing all they can to promote us :)

mjhibby
10-03-2017, 06:41 AM

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/dundee-united-fans-planning-we-9996414

Dundee United fans are planning an angry protest that will demand chairman Stephen Thompson leaves the club.
Supporter group Fans United want Arabs to chant "we want Thompson out" during the 10th minute of Friday’s clash with Hibs at Tannadice.
Fans United have also printed hundreds of flyers which they want supporters to hold up while chanting for two minutes.
It will be the latest voicing of opposition to the United chief by fans, a section of which have become increasingly frustrated by their club’s plight.
They staged an angry demo outside Tannadice following a defeat to Hamilton last April.
Arabs also vented their fury during the loss to city rivals Dundee that consigned them to relegation.
The demo comes after the club announced £1.55million losses that is forcing Thompson to slash costs.
Dundee United are seven points behind Hibs but will haul themselves back into the title race with a win over the Championship leaders.

While I get their anger at whats happened at the club surely protesting during,what for them is the most vital game of the season( yes another most vital game of the season) is the most counter productive thing they could do. If it takes the focus off thevteam( here's hoping) then they will only make it worse. They have had great times at utd with average crowds of half of what we get and it had to end some time. Still would like to see them back in the SPL with us and with a decent side. The SPL is the worst since pre fergie and it needs a strong hibs and utd. Still I do understand their frustration but unless they get a wealthy owner then it's a long struggle for them. Look how Dundee have struggled.

Steve20
10-03-2017, 07:26 AM
I see Jim Duffy is in the hunt for the motherwell job

With utd imploding and duff Jimmy maybe off, our rivals are doing all they can to promote us :)

Imploding? They could be 1 point behind us this time next week.

Jim44
10-03-2017, 07:47 AM

I hope it doesn't backfire on us and we fall to a sucker punch. Their players might just be spurred on by a demo.

Canon Hannan
10-03-2017, 07:59 AM
TV cameras maybe. They've been on his case for a while, selling all their best assets for a decent price, then the team on a downward spiral

The Chairmans family are in Australia and he will be planning an exit I reckon. This may speed matters along.

tamig
10-03-2017, 08:47 AM

The end is nigh...

Keith_M
10-03-2017, 09:56 AM

It's not like you to be so negative.

Waxy
10-03-2017, 10:19 AM
You a glass half empty kind of person?

tamig
10-03-2017, 10:21 AM
You a glass half empty kind of person?

Half empty would be a bit too optimistic in this case.

Waxy
10-03-2017, 10:22 AM
Half empty would be a bit too optimistic in this case.

The monger of doom is he?

HiBremian
10-03-2017, 10:42 AM

Be a good time for us to take an early lead. :agree:

tamig
10-03-2017, 11:57 AM
The monger of doom is he?

Lol. Let's just say there is a common theme running through the bulk of his posts. ;-)

Jack Hackett
10-03-2017, 12:00 PM
Alternative thread title

Dundee Utd fans are revolting

I'll get my coat......

Nakedmanoncrack
10-03-2017, 11:18 PM
The dampest of squibs.

BoomtownHibees
10-03-2017, 11:51 PM
Worst "protest" I've witnessed

Carheenlea
10-03-2017, 11:56 PM
Doubt it would have had Thompson quaking in his boots up in the directors box. Hilariously lame.

JackLadd
10-03-2017, 11:59 PM
They are going through exactly what happened to us in the later 00's, family silver sold and fielding journey men. I don't blame Thompson, it's just the cyclical way of it.

Andy Bee
11-03-2017, 12:06 AM
What the *******

What the *******

What the ******* hell is that.

What the ******* hell is that. :greengrin

11-03-2017, 09:17 AM
One of the most pathetic protests i've ever seen

bigwheel
11-03-2017, 09:18 AM
One of the most pathetic protests i've ever seen

only one worse was Rangers fans as they limped out of existence...I still think don't there has been a protest yet!

Northernhibee
11-03-2017, 09:32 AM
Hilarious.

southsider
11-03-2017, 09:33 AM
Aye, you could not have heard them behind a paper bag.

southsider
11-03-2017, 09:38 AM
The end is nigh...
A delivery driver I know who spends a fair bit of time in Dundee and the talk from there is Admin will happen soon. Heavy loses and no more players, of any real value, to sell.

Off the bar
11-03-2017, 09:48 AM
Doubt it would have had Thompson quaking in his boots up in the directors box. Hilariously lame.

He was cringing when the camera panned to him

Baldy Foghorn
11-03-2017, 12:24 PM
Pretty feeble protest