PDA

View Full Version : New Sevco manager

Hibernia&Alba
09-03-2017, 03:55 PM
Cheat FC have been given permission to speak to Pedro Caixinha, currently at Al-Gharafa in Qatar.

What do you mean 'who'? He's a superstar, ask any Qatari.

JohnM1875
09-03-2017, 04:00 PM
That's weird. I could have sworn they were getting the De Boer's in as a management dream team? Yet more Hun delusions. Checked their new guy up on Wiki. A lot of experience as been in management in some form since 1999 but nothing jumps out as impressive.

Michael
09-03-2017, 04:04 PM
Hope he's as crap as he sounds!

Hibee87
09-03-2017, 04:14 PM
I seen somthing earlier showing his twitter or somthing from a few years back congratulating Celtic on their title win. I think one of his team (maybe the current one) were a feeder club for Celtic. Off to a great start if he gets the gig :na na:

DH1875
09-03-2017, 04:17 PM
Is he not an ex Celtic scout? Or have I just made that up :confused:

Either way, he must be on a decent wage at the moment. How they affording him?

Hibernia&Alba
09-03-2017, 04:19 PM
Is he not an ex Celtic scout? Or have I just made that up :confused:

Either way, he must be on a decent wage at the moment. How they affording him?

Some talk about EBTs. All totally legal and won't cause a problem.

surreyhibbie
09-03-2017, 04:25 PM
A Celtc -supporting foreigner who knows nothing about Scottish Football?

what can possibly go wrong?

:greengrin

Bostonhibby
09-03-2017, 04:34 PM
A Celtc -supporting foreigner who knows nothing about Scottish Football?

what can possibly go wrong?

Cathro will help him fit in.

Iain G
09-03-2017, 04:37 PM
I seen somthing earlier showing his twitter or somthing from a few years back congratulating Celtic on their title win. I think one of his team (maybe the current one) were a feeder club for Celtic. Off to a great start if he gets the gig :na na:

I thought Celtic were our feeder club? :greengrin

Hibernia&Alba
09-03-2017, 04:40 PM
Follow Fascists forum

"We've goat oor man"

"Pure delighted"

"Very excited"

They know nothing about the guy :lolrangers:

silverhibee
09-03-2017, 04:45 PM

Seen that, one of the rags from the West has him in a hooped top as well, the huns must be fuming, probably goes to Chapel as well. :greengrin

Jack
09-03-2017, 04:45 PM
Cheat FC have been given permission to speak to Pedro Caixinha, currently at Al-Gharafa in Qatar.

I wonder if he'll understand a single word they say to him?

I saw a while ago he left one club after he and the players had not been paid. So he has experience that will hopefully come in useful :-)

Bostonhibby
09-03-2017, 05:03 PM
Will he come with a magic hat? Or is that only conferred when he arrives at the the's?

snedzuk
09-03-2017, 05:04 PM
Follow Fascists forum

"We've goat oor man"

"Pure delighted"

"Very excited"

Sure this isnt "we've manned oor goat"

Hibernia&Alba
09-03-2017, 05:05 PM
Sure this isnt "we've manned oor goat"

That's only doon the Masonic :wink:

Viva_Palmeiras
09-03-2017, 05:09 PM

So Caixinha (pronounced "kah-ee-sheen-ya" please) or "wee-box" is a real contender...? Hmm.

Smartie
09-03-2017, 05:13 PM
"The Rangers have been given permission to speak to......"

Going a bit better then their attempts to get Scott Allan then.

Onceinawhile
09-03-2017, 07:20 PM
Anyone willing to go from 1.5m tax free in a warm weather climate to £800,000 must want the job badly.

HoboHarry
09-03-2017, 07:28 PM
Anyone willing to go from 1.5m tax free in a warm weather climate to £800,000 must want the job badly.
Throw in the bigotry and other assorted and numerous BS he will have to put up with, I would argue that rather than need a job he may well be the stupidest ******wit on the planet....

SlickShoes
09-03-2017, 07:39 PM
Glasgow probably seems like a decent upgrade from living in Qatar

magpie1892
09-03-2017, 07:53 PM

I halved my salary to get out of Qatar - probably the most boring place on Earth, Friday drinkies with Doha Hibs aside.

Ronniekirk
09-03-2017, 08:05 PM
Follow Fascists forum

"We've goat oor man"

"Pure delighted"

"Very excited"

The Goat reference must be a Billy Goat

09-03-2017, 08:07 PM
So Caixinha (pronounced "kah-ee-sheen-ya" please) or "wee-box" is a real contender...? Hmm.

I thought it was kaks-een-a as in cacks in a doorway. In which case he'll fit right in.

SirDavidsNapper
09-03-2017, 08:32 PM
Remember the plethora of lower body fluid spillling out all over the weege when Warbs and his magic hat were appointed? That turned out well 😂😂 hopefully this will be another nail in the tribute acts coffin

Dashing Bob S
09-03-2017, 08:37 PM
They couldn't even afford Cathro's laptop. There is speculation and skint desperation.

Is It On....
09-03-2017, 08:47 PM
Seen that, one of the rags from the West has him in a hooped top as well, the huns must be fuming, probably goes to Chapel as well. :greengrin

He apparently worked for a Celtic associated club and there is a video congratulating his "brothers" winning the league a few years ago.

3pm
09-03-2017, 08:58 PM
Seems the new The Rangers manager likes Celtic.

https://twitter.com/fritzagrandauld/status/839788759038246912

Is It On....
09-03-2017, 09:02 PM
Seems the new The Rangers manager likes Celtic.

https://twitter.com/fritzagrandauld/status/839788759038246912

Thats the fellow.

Spike Mandela
09-03-2017, 09:05 PM

You don't actually believe Rangers will be paying anyone £800K a year do you? :cb

CyberSauzee
09-03-2017, 10:16 PM
He's got a choice between a barren, alien culture devoid of free thinking and speech, with some saying they're living in the dark ages. Or he can stay in Qatar.

JackLadd
09-03-2017, 10:48 PM
Weird one this Sevco new bhoy. At least he knows hail hail.

Bostonhibby
10-03-2017, 09:08 AM
Wait until he finds out it's not Queens Park Rangers like he was led to believe.

At least he will be able to watch his beloved celtc live.

greenginger
10-03-2017, 09:31 AM
https://cdn.videocelts.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Pedro-Caixinha.jpg

The new Sevco boss in the strip of his previous Mexican club.

The People will not be amused ! :greengrin

Captain Trips
10-03-2017, 09:36 AM
I hope you enjoy the Sevco fans songbook Caixinha and whatever you do never ever wear a hat.

chinaman
10-03-2017, 09:53 AM
The zombie clubs vile support won't like it .
Them being so ordinary and not cheating and getting away with it like there used too. And now a catholic manager.

Bostonhibby
10-03-2017, 09:58 AM
The zombie clubs vile support won't like it .
Them being so ordinary and not cheating and getting away with it like there used too. And now a catholic manager.
Indeed. I was wondering if he was one of the 88% of Mexicans who described themselves as Roman Catholic in the last census.

Hopefully we'll see lots of Mexican flags at ibrox to welcome the guy. After all they had plenty union flags and England gear on show for warbler.

No idea what all the northern Irish stuff is about though. Not in Scotland.

Itsnoteasy
10-03-2017, 10:13 AM
Will he come with a magic hat? Or is that only conferred when he arrives at the the's?

It will accompany the f*×+"n wand

Jack
10-03-2017, 10:25 AM
Surely he'd just be using Sevco as a stepping stone.

Ozyhibby
10-03-2017, 11:32 AM
https://cdn.videocelts.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Pedro-Caixinha.jpg

The new Sevco boss in the strip of his previous Mexican club.

The People will not be amused ! :greengrin

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170310/e89a317847962d2542f37781b9e6b5e4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Velma Dinkley
10-03-2017, 11:46 AM
He's managed to get his team to an impressive fifth place in the Qatari Stars League so he clearly knows what he's doing.

Keith_M
10-03-2017, 12:12 PM
Hopefully we'll see lots of Mexican flags at ibrox to welcome the guy. After all they had plenty union flags and England gear on show for warbler.

Why would they wave Mexican flags for a Portugese manager?

Bostonhibby
10-03-2017, 12:36 PM
Read somewhere he was Mexican!

Portuguese celtc man? Even better😊nice flag as well.

hibee_nation
10-03-2017, 12:43 PM

Heard he was there in 67 to support the Lisbon Lions :greengrin

Smartie
10-03-2017, 12:59 PM
Heard he was there in 67 to support the Lisbon Lions :greengrin

He's got a photo of the pope on his living room wall, with a photo of Jacki Dziekonowski hanging a bit higher up.

Deansy
10-03-2017, 01:31 PM

Mexican/Poruguese ?? - who cares - as long as deep-down inside, they continue waving the white flag that'll do for me !

JackLadd
10-03-2017, 02:48 PM
A gay Celtic fan as new Sevco manager. :thumbsup: They will soon wish Aunt Swally was back.

Keith_M
10-03-2017, 02:53 PM
Read somewhere he was Mexican!

Portuguese celtc man? Even better😊nice flag as well.

Indeed, a flag with a prominent section of green.

Incidentally, the colours of the flag are based on the colours of the Portugese Republican Party.

I'm sure it'll be as popular as the orange tribute to their dutch manager :greengrin

Bostonhibby
10-03-2017, 02:57 PM
Indeed, a flag with a prominent section of green.

Incidentally, the colours of the flag are based on the colours of the Portugese Republican Party.

I'm sure it'll be as popular as the orange tribute to their dutch manager :greengrin
81% Roman Catholic country. Not that it matters to us but seems relevant to some huns. Sure the guy will get the same welcome as the tragic hat did.

InchHibby
10-03-2017, 03:03 PM
Caix-in-ha's a catholic,
He wears a catholic hat,
But now he's joined The rangers,
That'll be the end of that.

NAE NOOKIE
10-03-2017, 03:39 PM
The new Warburton song .... welcome to Scotland Pedro :greengrin

Pedros joining Sevco
The job is heaven sent
He lived oot in the desert
His last hoose was a tent

Govans not so sunny
But has a lot less sand
He'll learn tae hate the Kafflics
It's what the Bears demand

So now he's at the big hoose
He'll ease the Rangers plight
And win them all the titles
That they believes their right

But if it dusnae happen
And all his plans go wrong
Sack the fenian b*****d
Will be their newest song

Biggie
10-03-2017, 03:41 PM
This has got to be a wind up......has a hibbie infiltrated the gers board ?
This is brilliant....the hoardes will go nuts

Bostonhibby
10-03-2017, 03:45 PM

Pedros joining Sevco
The job is heaven sent

Govans not so sunny
But has a lot less sand

But if it dusnae happen
Sack the fenian b*****d
[emoji23] very good, and likely very true [emoji106]

Jim44
10-03-2017, 04:03 PM
For the moment, they are very comfortable with their (almost) new manager. They basically think the video clip is taken out of context as his club was somehow paired with Celtic and he was going through the formality of congratulating their sister club. It will probably come back to bite him if and when they fail to challenge Celtic.

Andy74
10-03-2017, 04:04 PM

Pedros joining Sevco
The job is heaven sent

Govans not so sunny
But has a lot less sand

But if it dusnae happen
Sack the fenian b*****d

Quality! :greengrin

BullsCloseHibs
10-03-2017, 04:05 PM
You couldn't make it up....He congrats celtic winning the league. A proper celtic fan. Sevco will love this 😊 (we arra pee poll)

.....and a Catholic as well.

Genius Mr King 😆

lord bunberry
10-03-2017, 04:50 PM

Pedros joining Sevco
The job is heaven sent

Govans not so sunny
But has a lot less sand

But if it dusnae happen
Sack the fenian b*****d
Are you sure, I hear them singing about Bobby Sands every week.

Joe6-2
10-03-2017, 06:26 PM

Aren't the lovable, cuddly bears!

ehf
10-03-2017, 11:15 PM

They will inevitably face some resistance from the more recidivist element of their support but I think Sevco are to be congratulated and lauded for appointing a gay, catholic, Celtic-minded manager and one who, moreover, has a somewhat sub-optimal track record.

It may be that credible candidates for the post were a tad thin on the ground but this development betokens a commitment to diversity, inclusiveness and risk-taking that has not historically been associated with the Govan ingenues or their predecessors and we must pay due respect to the forward-thinking, visionary and innovative approach demonstrated by the current regime.

MichaelTheCelt
11-03-2017, 01:50 AM
We don't even hide our undercover agents anymore (Craig Whyte, Charles Green etc). Wee Pedro will be at the game on Sunday using his season ticket of course :greengrin

Bugger, dunno how to make that picture bigger.

Mibbes Aye
11-03-2017, 01:56 AM
They will inevitably face some resistance from the more recidivist element of their support but I think Sevco are to be congratulated and lauded for appointing a gay, catholic, Celtic-minded manager and one who, moreover, has a somewhat sub-optimal track record.

It may be that credible candidates for the post were a tad thin on the ground but this development betokens a commitment to diversity, inclusiveness and risk-taking that has not historically been associated with the Govan ingenues or their predecessors and we must pay due respect to the forward-thinking, visionary and innovative approach demonstrated by the current regime.

HoboHarry
11-03-2017, 01:58 AM

Where is this gay thing coming from? Not that I care, I'm just wondering if the urban myths have begun already?

Mibbes Aye
11-03-2017, 02:04 AM

I like to think that our educational system must be sound, if a person can repeatedly describe someone else as a "Fenian ****" but still manage to spell 'Portuguese' correctly.

It's a tricky word and these things matter :agree:

lord bunberry
11-03-2017, 02:05 AM

So they're taking it well then

lord bunberry
11-03-2017, 02:06 AM
Where is this gay thing coming from? Not that I care, I'm just wondering if the urban myths have begun already?

His boyfriend spilled the beans

HoboHarry
11-03-2017, 02:06 AM
I like to think that our educational system must be sound, if a person can repeatedly describe someone else as a "Fenian ****" but still manage to spell 'Portuguese' correctly.

It's a tricky word and these things matter :agree:
You are giving the neanderthal too much credit - if it weren't for spellcheck he would be knackered...........

Captain Trips
11-03-2017, 07:29 AM
What are they not surrendering too? There isnt really anything happening nowadays. Absolutely pathetic.

Bostonhibby
11-03-2017, 09:09 AM
What are they not surrendering too? There isnt really anything happening nowadays. Absolutely pathetic.
It's when they are guarding Old Deriwalz (the new one maybe doesn't need guarding). Whoever is attacking it the the rangers peepul have no plans to surrender to them.

They would probably have a better time if they went to a football match or the cinema or something more stimulating than standing about "guarding" what sounds like a faraway or irrelevant place in another country.

Captain Trips
11-03-2017, 09:14 AM
It's when they are guarding Old Deriwalz (the new one maybe doesn't need guarding). Whoever is attacking it the the rangers peepul have no plans to surrender to them.

They would probably have a better time if they went to a football match or the cinema or something more stimulating than standing about "guarding" what sounds like a faraway or irrelevant place in another country.

Indeed nothing needs guarded or not surrendered to, alas it is all they have as an identity how absolutely pathetic.

Bostonhibby
11-03-2017, 09:19 AM
Indeed nothing needs guarded or not surrendered to, alas it is all they have as an identity how absolutely pathetic.
To be fair, they could actually be gardening in Deriwalz, and it's just getting lost in the translation. It's possible as they need all the turnips they can get to help with the season ticket sales.

Eyrie
11-03-2017, 12:49 PM

When was the last footballer to be openly gay whilst playing?

I like the irony that the most bigoted club since Huns RIP will be the one to break that taboo.

ChicagoHibee
11-03-2017, 02:03 PM
This hire has Ronny Deila part II (minus SPL titles) written all over it.

MichaelTheCelt
11-03-2017, 05:37 PM
This hire has Ronny Deila part II (minus SPL titles) written all over it.
I have a horrible feeling he'll end up surprising us all and being decent to be honest. Although the media have done their absolute best to convince everyone this guy is some unknown genius.

Colr
11-03-2017, 07:55 PM

Isn't he catholic?

Scott Allan Key
11-03-2017, 08:39 PM
When was the last footballer to be openly gay whilst playing?

I like the irony that the most bigoted club since Huns RIP will be the one to break that taboo.

They have appointed an allegedly 'gay' club captain in the past. If that was what he was.

Northernhibee
11-03-2017, 10:14 PM
His nickname back in Portugal is 'El Cheapio Optionio'

HFCdeb
11-03-2017, 10:20 PM
Is he really openly gay? This makes me so happy if true. Football is so depressingly behind the times in LGBT+ issues that any openly gay football figures should be applauded ⚢⚣
Don't care who he manages, if his appointment encourages others to be brave and proud of who they are then all I can say is "well done Sevco 5088".

FilipinoHibs
11-03-2017, 10:22 PM
Mexican/Poruguese ?? - who cares - as long as deep-down inside, they continue waving the white flag that'll do for me !

It is like confusing New Zealnd with Scotland who cares!

FilipinoHibs
11-03-2017, 10:26 PM
Is he really openly gay? This makes me so happy if true. Football is so depressingly behind the times in LGBT+ issues that any openly gay football figures should be applauded ⚢⚣
Don't care who he manages, if his appointment encourages others to be brave and proud of who they are then all I can say is "well done Sevco 5088".

Of course LD gay but club keep it under wraps.

HFCdeb
11-03-2017, 10:28 PM
Of course LD gay but club keep it under wraps.

Leanne Dempster? She's openly gay. What's that got to do with this guy?

Smartie
11-03-2017, 10:28 PM

I don't know if he is, it only seems to have been rumour so far.

I agree with your point, but I do fear that it could be catastrophic and entirely counter-productive. Coupled with the fact that he is (I think) a catholic and that expectations aren't anything like aligned with reality through there, Ibrox may well be the worst possible place for him to be. He'll be like a lamb to the slaughter.

A bit like Cathro, who I would want to see succeed if he was anywhere other than at Hearts, I'd have liked to see him succeed but can't really wish him well in any way at Ibrox.

HFCdeb
11-03-2017, 10:40 PM
I don't know if he is, it only seems to have been rumour so far.

I agree with your point, but I do fear that it could be catastrophic and entirely counter-productive. Coupled with the fact that he is (I think) a catholic and that expectations aren't anything like aligned with reality through there, Ibrox may well be the worst possible place for him to be. He'll be like a lamb to the slaughter.

A bit like Cathro, who I would want to see succeed if he was anywhere other than at Hearts, I'd have liked to see him succeed but can't really wish him well in any way at Ibrox.

Counter-productive in what way? If the Sevco hoardes act as many of us would expect them to then all they'll serve to do is galvanise the LGBT+ community and further highlighting football's failure to move with the times. They'd also be shoving their vile sectarianism right under the noses of footballing authorities and Government. I may have missed your point so I'm sorry if I've taken it off on an unnecessary tangent.

I understand your point re: Cathro, but he reminds me too much of smarmy office guys who get ill deserved promotions over better qualified people so I can't relate to feeling I'd want him to succeed were he managing elsewhere.

Smartie
11-03-2017, 10:51 PM
Counter-productive in what way? If the Sevco hoardes act as many of us would expect them to then all they'll serve to do is galvanise the LGBT+ community and further highlighting football's failure to move with the times. They'd also be shoving their vile sectarianism right under the noses of footballing authorities and Government. I may have missed your point so I'm sorry if I've taken it off on an unnecessary tangent.

I understand your point re: Cathro, but he reminds me too much of smarmy office guys who get ill deserved promotions over better qualified people so I can't relate to feeling I'd want him to succeed were he managing elsewhere.

Counter productive in that a footballing failure will lead to the nastiest frenzy of sectarianism and homophobia that this country has ever seen. Whilst I'd like to see Scottish society advance and I think that the football community in general would benefit from having more openly gay figures, I don't know if I could bear seeing another human be subjected to what could potentially come his way. I don't think the post that quotes "GOAT" from a Rangers fan site above is anything like a minority, or even as bad as it could be. Yes, I'd love the sectarianism come under the microscope of the footballing authorities and the government but I wouldn't want this to happen as a result of a tirade of abuse towards any individual.

I was at a derby when Justin Fashanu played for Hearts against us. It was the early 90s and the world was a different place. The Edinburgh derby certainly wasn't ready for a black, English gay player.

I'd love to be wrong but there's something that tells me this isn't a good move, for the gentleman in question more than anything else.

Ozyhibby
11-03-2017, 11:32 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170311/b38a017e0a69a14625cd1ff55decc451.jpg

HoboHarry
12-03-2017, 12:08 AM
I have my doubts about the gay thing but that aside it's hard to comprehend how difficult the Sevco board have made it for the new guy. It's almost Trump-esque in its going against the grain and logical thought and perhaps this has been deliberate to keep the fans eyes away from the upcoming court cases? A Catholic manager who has expressed at least a passing interest in Celtic and has been photographed in green and white hoops.

Is he religious and does he go to mass? I look forward to the wailing and gnashing of teeth from the Sevco lynch mob when the photos emerge of him going to mass. Bomber Broon will be apoplectic. What support will he get from the board when things go badly and the abuse kicks off? At least when Mo Johnston signed he had the formidable presence of Graeme Souness in his corner. Good old Pedro is going to have Paul Murray and the other yahoos standing guard. God help him.

Ozyhibby
12-03-2017, 07:27 AM
I have my doubts about the gay thing

It's not for everybody but just give it a try. [emoji6][emoji23][emoji23]

FilipinoHibs
12-03-2017, 07:54 AM

Sounds as if he has and having doubts! You can be bisexual of course!

Heisenberg
12-03-2017, 11:59 AM
Pedro Mendes is this boys agent. That'll be where they found him from. Random appointment which could be a disaster. Lovely.

HFCdeb
12-03-2017, 12:24 PM
Counter productive in that a footballing failure will lead to the nastiest frenzy of sectarianism and homophobia that this country has ever seen. Whilst I'd like to see Scottish society advance and I think that the football community in general would benefit from having more openly gay figures, I don't know if I could bear seeing another human be subjected to what could potentially come his way. I don't think the post that quotes "GOAT" from a Rangers fan site above is anything like a minority, or even as bad as it could be. Yes, I'd love the sectarianism come under the microscope of the footballing authorities and the government but I wouldn't want this to happen as a result of a tirade of abuse towards any individual.

I was at a derby when Justin Fashanu played for Hearts against us. It was the early 90s and the world was a different place. The Edinburgh derby certainly wasn't ready for a black, English gay player.

I'd love to be wrong but there's something that tells me this isn't a good move, for the gentleman in question more than anything else.

Here's hoping he's judged only on footballing successes or failures...optimistic, I know.

Diclonius
12-03-2017, 12:35 PM

I think the whole gay thing just stems from someone editing his Wikipedia page.

HoboHarry
12-03-2017, 03:27 PM

Willing as I am to embrace new things I will likely give that one a miss.....:greengrin

jacomo
12-03-2017, 03:33 PM

I feel conflicted about this.

A lot of the abuse that was hurled at players (not just Fashanu) was unacceptable... but I'm not convinced that it showed football was a hotbed of homophobic and racist hatred.

Often it was just an attempt to wind up an opposition player and affect their performance.

Diclonius
12-03-2017, 04:11 PM

Out of curiosity, what kind of reception did Fashanu get? (not sure if I want to know..)

WoreTheGreen
12-03-2017, 04:16 PM
Out of curiosity, what kind of reception did Fashanu get? (not sure if I want to know..)

I know his landlord was not to pleased left With big rent bills unpaid. Its the yams way

NAE NOOKIE
12-03-2017, 04:34 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170311/b38a017e0a69a14625cd1ff55decc451.jpg

:faf:

I don't know if that comes under the heading of 'sectarian' banter or not, but it is clever and pretty bloody funny :greengrin

Smartie
12-03-2017, 04:37 PM

It was pretty brutal.

I don't remember any specific chants or anything, but there were the kinds of shouts that you would imagine whenever he got the ball or he went near the Hibs crowd.

It was only a few years on from the late 1980s when Mark Walters was being pelted with bananas whilst playing his first few games for Rangers so times were very different and football has steadily evolved from there.

I don't think the Hibs support were necessarily any better or worse than anyone else in those days, racist comments were fairly common and certain players seemed to attract dogs abuse.

The "Paul Hartley is gay" derby seems a long time ago now and you don't get the feeling that would happen these days.

Smartie
12-03-2017, 04:40 PM
I feel conflicted about this.

A lot of the abuse that was hurled at players (not just Fashanu) was unacceptable... but I'm not convinced that it showed football was a hotbed of homophobic and racist hatred.

Often it was just an attempt to wind up an opposition player and affect their performance.

I don't think it was a hotbed of homophobic hatred but there has only (AFAIK) been one player to play in British football who has been openly gay in my time watching football, so there haven't really been many legitimate (?!?!) targets for it.

I would say that British football has in the past most definitely been a hotbed of racist hatred though, and the during the spell that I mention it was still emerging from it.

Hibernia&Alba
12-03-2017, 04:41 PM
It was pretty brutal.

I don't remember any specific chants or anything, but there were the kinds of shouts that you would imagine whenever he got the ball or he went near the Hibs crowd.

It was only a few years on from the late 1980s when Mark Walters was being pelted with bananas whilst playing his first few games for Rangers so times were very different and football has steadily evolved from there.

I don't think the Hibs support were necessarily any better or worse than anyone else in those days, racist comments were fairly common and certain players seemed to attract dogs abuse.

The "Paul Hartley is gay" derby seems a long time ago now and you don't get the feeling that would happen these days.

Aye, football, just like society, has come a long way, thankfully. It isn't perfect of course - I don't know of any openly gay footballers - but we're on the right track. One day homophobia will be deemed as unacceptable as racism. I'd have Julian Clary in the team if he guaranteed twenty goals per season. It really shouldn't be an issue.

Jim44
12-03-2017, 04:45 PM
All this 'gay' discussion puts a different slant on 'the teams are coming out'. :greengrin

Hibernia&Alba
12-03-2017, 04:46 PM
Wanted the job because he heard Sevco players all suck.

Here we go :greengrin

HFCdeb
12-03-2017, 04:55 PM
It was pretty brutal.

The "Paul Hartley is gay" and "The Hibees are gay" derby was during formative years for me where I was struggling to come to terms with my own sexuality so it still feels fairly recent to me. I agree that chanting of that nature on that scale is highly unlikely to happen now but every time I attend a football match I hear homophobic comments. It's not exclusive to football, it's all over the place in society but I feel far less comfortable challenging it at a football match than I do in any other scenario.

CropleyWasGod
12-03-2017, 05:25 PM
QED

You're probably just "having a wee laugh", but that's the kind of casual remark that discourages gay men and women from coming out.

Would that line be acceptable if we were talking about a man taking over a woman's team? Or, for that matter, a woman taking over a male or female team? Or are jokes about oral sex only funny if they're about gay men?

Smartie
12-03-2017, 05:25 PM
The "Paul Hartley is gay" and "The Hibees are gay" derby was during formative years for me where I was struggling to come to terms with my own sexuality so it still feels fairly recent to me. I agree that chanting of that nature on that scale is highly unlikely to happen now but every time I attend a football match I hear homophobic comments. It's not exclusive to football, it's all over the place in society but I feel far less comfortable challenging it at a football match than I do in any other scenario.

I appreciate that in your situation hearing that at a time like that would be very painful indeed, and that those scars would run deep. I suppose though that the point I was trying to make was that whilst the current situation is far from ideal, things actually have improved from there whereas they probably hadn't in the 30 or so years prior to that.

Football is a difficult place to challenge people for unacceptable comments or behaviour though. There was an old boy in front of me who was coming out with some disgusting racist stuff at Tynecastle, turning round to "entertain" his chuckling mates. My blood was boiling but unfortunately I still couldn't find it in myself to pull him up on it as I was on my tod and he was clearly surrounded by mates. I'd imagine it must be a depressingly regular occurrence for you as there is a certain kind of "playground homophobia" that seems to pass as acceptable not just at football but in many other scenarios, and it it would be impossible to challenge a lot of it.

As has been mentioned above, it will probably need an openly gay player to score 20 goals in a season or for a manager to win titles and gain the full backing of a crowd before we can see the next steps genuinely be made.

Unfortunately those days still seem fairly far off to me.

SanFranHibs
12-03-2017, 05:36 PM

From a geological desert to a cultural desert.

We're up to our knees in Pedro's guts.

Don't know if he is gay but I suspect he will soon be very unhappy.

Including his short stint as a youth club coach, according to Wikipedia, this is his 12th managerial appointment. I hope the The Currants are not expecting a glorious 12th.

Signing off fellow Bears.....No Surrender. FTP. 1690. All Hibees are gay. Up to our knees. God Save The Queen. Stubbs has only got one ball. Land of Hope and Glory. Chelsea Shed. Swing Low Sweet Chariot. NINA.

hibsbollah
12-03-2017, 05:41 PM
Aye, football, just like society, has come a long way, thankfully. It isn't perfect of course - I don't know of any openly gay footballers - but we're on the right track. One day homophobia will be deemed as unacceptable as racism. I'd have Julian Clary in the team if he guaranteed twenty goals per season. It really shouldn't be an issue.

Youd never guarantee 20 goals with Clary. He was more of a stopper, good at the back. But wee Graeme Norton, that's a different story. Quick, direct, with a penchant for playing off the shoulder of the last defender. Kind of like a gay Jean Pierre Papin in his prime :agree:

Hibernia&Alba
12-03-2017, 05:49 PM
Youd never guarantee 20 goals with Clary. He was more of a stopper, good at the back. But wee Graeme Norton, that's a different story. Quick, direct, with a penchant for playing off the shoulder of the last defender. Kind of like a gay Jean Pierre Papin in his prime :agree:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-1_orOzQbj9o/Tx6ixOBh1DI/AAAAAAAAce0/DVYS7qDS6q8/s400/GL197666.jpg

Andy74
12-03-2017, 06:51 PM
I appreciate that in your situation hearing that at a time like that would be very painful indeed, and that those scars would run deep. I suppose though that the point I was trying to make was that whilst the current situation is far from ideal, things actually have improved from there whereas they probably hadn't in the 30 or so years prior to that.

Football is a difficult place to challenge people for unacceptable comments or behaviour though. There was an old boy in front of me who was coming out with some disgusting racist stuff at Tynecastle, turning round to "entertain" his chuckling mates. My blood was boiling but unfortunately I still couldn't find it in myself to pull him up on it as I was on my tod and he was clearly surrounded by mates. I'd imagine it must be a depressingly regular occurrence for you as there is a certain kind of "playground homophobia" that seems to pass as acceptable not just at football but in many other scenarios, and it it would be impossible to challenge a lot of it.

As has been mentioned above, it will probably need an openly gay player to score 20 goals in a season or for a manager to win titles and gain the full backing of a crowd before we can see the next steps genuinely be made.

The Hartley is gay stuff was just an attempt to drown out the usual Hibees are gay chants.

Are we a long way on from that? Doubt it. I'd imagine Hearts fans still sing it at us.

Of course the targets in those chants weren't gay so not quite the same as openly abusing a gay player.

It does of course suggest that being gay is an issue but it's a pretty basic schoolboy level of thinking. The b in the black chants suggest being illegitimate is something to be ashamed of but it's not really the thinking behind the chant.

HFCdeb
12-03-2017, 07:06 PM

Those days only seem far off because no footballer or football manager has come out yet ;) but I know what you mean. However, look at Leanne Dempster, I'm only 30 and I never imagined I'd see an openly gay FEMALE in a high profile position within our club in my lifetime and yet here we are and she's one of the best things to happen to Hibs since Sauzee.
As for the racists...we just have to hope that they're also becoming a minority.

Thanks for the chat and insight :)

Lago
12-03-2017, 07:15 PM
You always get one.

Eyrie
12-03-2017, 07:33 PM
Those days only seem far off because no footballer or football manager has come out yet ;) but I know what you mean. However, look at Leanne Dempster, I'm only 30 and I never imagined I'd see an openly gay FEMALE in a high profile position within our club in my lifetime and yet here we are and she's one of the best things to happen to Hibs since Sauzee.
As for the racists...we just have to hope that they're also becoming a minority.

I think the most telling thing about Dempster's gender and sexuality is that none of us gives a damn about either of them. She's doing an excellent job of running our club and that's all we care about.

Bostonhibby
12-03-2017, 07:36 PM
I think the most telling thing about Dempster's gender and sexuality is that none of us gives a damn about either of them. She's doing an excellent job of running our club and that's all we care about.

:top marks Nail, hammer, heid,

HFCdeb
12-03-2017, 07:56 PM

Exactly. It makes me so happy and hopeful for the future 😀😀😀

ACLeith
12-03-2017, 08:12 PM
Exactly. It makes me so happy and hopeful for the future 😀😀😀

And in the same vein that you are comfortable with sharing about yourself on here. It's sometimes hard to see small shifts in attitudes but I do think there has been a significant change since the turn of the century. Increasingly I see people judged only by their character/personality and not by other factors.

And as a grandfather in their late 60s all I say is - not before time!

NYHibby
12-03-2017, 08:38 PM
I just heard a juicy story today about how a friend of a friend is having an affair with Warburton. Warburton's son is involved in the story. Now I'm disappointed he left.

ColinNish
12-03-2017, 08:43 PM
Heard plenty racist comments at matches but not homophobic ones, not recently anyway. You say you hear this every time you go to matches?

Viva_Palmeiras
12-03-2017, 09:48 PM

Glad you felt you could comment on here and massive credit to you for doing so.
Times they are a changin' but not fast enough.

There's hope tho'. On my postgrad there was a pretty outspoken right wing old school Maggie Thatcher sympathising bloke. Pretty set in his outspoken ways - usual DailyMail type stuff.

But he got into teams and worked with one of my now mates who happens to be gay - and through his exposure the ignorance was blown away. To the extent he even want along to see Brokeback Mountain something I'd never envisaged him going to see.

Fear of the unknown is hard to change when you lack exposure. Raising awareness is one step but hopefully with more folks being bold enough to speak out I hope the dinosaurs will start to topple and I hope that in future people in and out the public eye will not have to hide their true self which must be a huge strain.

CropleyWasGod
12-03-2017, 10:01 PM
I've heard he likes baws played deep. :greengrin

:rolleyes:

Mantis Toboggan
13-03-2017, 12:35 AM
I've heard he likes baws played deep. :greengrin

As funny as your first attempt.
Maybe read the thread and have a wee think before treating us to another one?

Haymaker
13-03-2017, 01:35 AM

This.

SirDavidsNapper
13-03-2017, 01:59 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-1_orOzQbj9o/Tx6ixOBh1DI/AAAAAAAAce0/DVYS7qDS6q8/s400/GL197666.jpg

Thought I'd stumbled upon Kickback for a second there

northstandhibby
13-03-2017, 08:59 AM

Hopefully one day sexual orientation will never be an issue as long as its between consenting adults. I always find it very strange/creepy/weird some folk want to judge other consenting adults on their sexual orientation as its absolutely faff all to do with anybody else.

glory glory

Peevemor
13-03-2017, 09:29 AM

Whilst I agree with you, if our chief executive was a gay man more would be made of it. Unfortunately we'd be kidding ourselves to say otherwise.

Hibrandenburg
13-03-2017, 09:53 AM
Just trying to think of words that rhyme with "Magic Sombrero".

CropleyWasGod
13-03-2017, 10:02 AM

He's a bigger joker than Cesar Romero.

Dan Sarf
13-03-2017, 10:02 AM

Wheel barrow, cockney sparrow, straight and narrow (nah), vegetable marrow and, of course, giro!

(I used a rhyming dictionary :wink: )

Jim44
13-03-2017, 10:04 AM

Loadsa dinero.

CropleyWasGod
13-03-2017, 10:32 AM
Loadsa dinero.

Effall dinero :wink:

hibee316
13-03-2017, 10:39 AM
Whilst I agree with you, if our chief executive was a gay man more would be made of it. Unfortunately we'd be kidding ourselves to say otherwise.

I hope not!

Is there any/many work places were being gay (other than on a sports itch for some reason) is still an issue in our country??

Diclonius
13-03-2017, 03:15 PM
I think society's attitude towards the LGBT population has improved considerably in the last decade. Even 10 years ago on here if the issue of gay footballers came up there'd be a sizeable number of posters voicing their opposition. Now it's virtually non-existent.

Betty Boop
13-03-2017, 03:33 PM
I just heard a juicy story today about how a friend of a friend is having an affair with Warburton. Warburton's son is involved in the story. Now I'm disappointed he left.

Sweetly wife.

ancient hibee
13-03-2017, 05:10 PM
In three months time. Away back to Faro.

therealgavmac
13-03-2017, 07:19 PM
He's a bigger joker than Cesar Romero.

And we have a winner :agree:

CropleyWasGod
13-03-2017, 07:28 PM
And we have a winner :agree:

To be fair, only those over 55 will get it. :greengrin

ian cruise
13-03-2017, 08:18 PM
To be fair, only those over 55 will get it. :greengrin

Holy Hibbie's Cropley! I'm not quite there yet but I very much appreciated it.

CropleyWasGod
13-03-2017, 08:26 PM
Holy Hibbie's Cropley! I'm not quite there yet but I very much appreciated it.

Pow :greengrin

Is It On....
14-03-2017, 03:20 AM
"The 39-year-old (Barry Ferguson) resigned last month following three years with Clyde after a poor run of Scottish League Two results meant his side were destined to miss out on the promotion play-offs." This was from the BBC website in a report that BF wants the assistant managers role. Whilst it is correct to say that Clyde will miss out on the promotion play-offs, you would never guess from the article that this is because they are 2nd bottom!!

Deansy
14-03-2017, 08:20 AM
"The 39-year-old (Barry Ferguson) resigned last month following three years with Clyde after a poor run of Scottish League Two results meant his side were destined to miss out on the promotion play-offs." This was from the BBC website in a report that BF wants the assistant managers role. Whilst it is correct to say that Clyde will miss out on the promotion play-offs, you would never guess from the article that this is because they are 2nd bottom!!

And they laughingly still proclaim themselves as 'Impartial' http://www.hibeesbounce.com/forum/images/smilies/rollfloorlaffsmiley.gif