PDA

View Full Version : Danny Lennon on Tommy Craig

G B Young
09-03-2017, 12:23 PM
http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/rise-of-austin-macphee-was-resented-at-st-mirren-lennon-1-4387509

Hard-hitting stuff from Lennon and it must be safe to assume these guys no longer speak to each other. I remember Craig in his second spell with Hibs alongside John Collins and that weird press conference where he was feeding JC his lines while pretending to eat a pear!

Craig was a fine midfielder in his playing days but he sounds like a Maurice Malpas-style old-school coach who can't relate to the players of today.

I did think at the time that Lennon had been a bit harshly treated at St Mirren.

tamig
09-03-2017, 12:28 PM
I heard it last night. Great interview and some controversial insights. Craig seemed to have the trust of the board and went behind Danny's back to undermine the new methods he was introducing. Also good to hear Steven Thompson's view of things. Hopefully Danny will be back in the game soon.

lord bunberry
09-03-2017, 12:30 PM
Absolutely everyone said as soon as Craig was given the managers job that they'd be relegated. Sacking Lennon and giving the job to Craig has to go down as one of the worst decisions in recent history.

brog
09-03-2017, 12:35 PM
http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/rise-of-austin-macphee-was-resented-at-st-mirren-lennon-1-4387509

Hard-hitting stuff from Lennon and it must be safe to assume these guys no longer speak to each other. I remember Craig in his second spell with Hibs alongside John Collins and that weird press conference where he was feeding JC his lines while pretending to eat a pear!

Craig was a fine midfielder in his playing days but he sounds like a Maurice Malpas-style old-school coach who can't relate to the players of today.

I did think at the time that Lennon had been a bit harshly treated at St Mirren.

I know that the signings of Brian ( unseen work ) Kerr & Alan ( Arthur Duncan on a motorbike ) O'Brien were 100% down to Tommy Craig. As a result, given the sterling service Hibs received from these 2 fine servants, I'm sure Danny L's criticism of TC is purely down to jealousy & bitterness! :wink:

Billy Whizz
09-03-2017, 12:53 PM
I know Collins got the brunt of the players moans at Hibs, wonder what part Craig played in this

3pm
09-03-2017, 12:58 PM
I heard it last night. Great interview and some controversial insights. Craig seemed to have the trust of the board and went behind Danny's back to undermine the new methods he was introducing. Also good to hear Steven Thompson's view of things. Hopefully Danny will be back in the game soon.

What did he say?

NAE NOOKIE
09-03-2017, 01:10 PM
Absolutely everyone said as soon as Craig was given the managers job that they'd be relegated. Sacking Lennon and giving the job to Craig has to go down as one of the worst decisions in recent history.

The day the announcement was made I think just about every fan in Scotland was left scratching their heads .... its not that often that so many people get the chance to say 'we told you so' .... it was bad enough binning Lennon months after he had won them a trophy, replacing him with Craig was laughable.

Look at St Mirren now .... nobody knows better than us that bad decisions in the board room can lead to disaster at a club, in our case it was a slow steady decline, St Mirren managed it with one hasty and extremely stupid decision.

Smartie
09-03-2017, 01:33 PM
The day the announcement was made I think just about every fan in Scotland was left scratching their heads .... its not that often that so many people get the chance to say 'we told you so' .... it was bad enough binning Lennon months after he had won them a trophy, replacing him with Craig was laughable.

Look at St Mirren now .... nobody knows better than us that bad decisions in the board room can lead to disaster at a club, in our case it was a slow steady decline, St Mirren managed it with one hasty and extremely stupid decision.

There's no doubt it was a very poor decision.

It seems to me that Craig is a manipulative and devious individual though and I suspect the board there have been hoodwinked by him.

He's exactly the kind of dinosaur we need to purge from the Scottish game.

Funny how he was the guy that Collins got on board to help him. Collins clearly has something about him but has always had flaws. A better choice of assistant might have seen Collins have the kind of management career that he really should have as he has excellent ideas. Collins' progressive thinking and ambition seem at odds with the appointment of Tommy Craig.

eastmainsmsh
09-03-2017, 01:52 PM
One of the luckiest coaches around jobs for the boys Tommy Craig hope Danny Lennon can get back in game

Paisley Hibby
09-03-2017, 02:11 PM
I'd be happy to see Danny Lennon as the Hibs manager one day.

lord bunberry
09-03-2017, 02:15 PM

:agree: When you look at their decline since Lennon left you have to wonder how good a manager Lennon was to achieve what he did. It's surprising he's not had a decent job since then.

Dashing Bob S
09-03-2017, 02:59 PM
Is their any more desperate sound in Scottish football, then a club chairman shouting to his secretary "get me Tommy Craig on the line."

Smartie
09-03-2017, 03:07 PM
Is their any more desperate sound in Scottish football, then a club chairman shouting to his secretary "get me Tommy Craig on the line."

How about "I hear Butcher and Malpas are available. Let's get them in for an interview and hear what they have to say".

Or

"Has anyone here worked with this Stuart Baxter chap before?"

Winston Ingram
09-03-2017, 07:39 PM
Just listened to this. Lennon comes across very well

Danderhall Hibs
09-03-2017, 07:50 PM
What did he say?

Said that Tommy Craig was sniping about behind Lennons back, undermined him and when Lennon was leading a training session Craig would go a wander round the training ground in a huff.

tamig
09-03-2017, 08:05 PM
What did he say?

Sorry bud. Been away all day but Danderhall has summarised it nicely. Thompson also said that Craig used to come out with the same phrases and chat time after time and the players used to laugh about it and try to guess when he would come out with certain phrases. He also said his training drills were very repetitive.

Is It On....
09-03-2017, 08:49 PM

I liked Danny Lennon and always thought Tommy Craig was extremely lucky to "make it". As for St Midden, they treated DL terribly and after they appointed Tommy Craig thought they deserve everything that came their way!!

jacomo
09-03-2017, 11:28 PM
Sorry bud. Been away all day but Danderhall has summarised it nicely. Thompson also said that Craig used to come out with the same phrases and chat time after time and the players used to laugh about it and try to guess when he would come out with certain phrases. He also said his training drills were very repetitive.

Baffling that he was JC's assistant here.

JackLadd
09-03-2017, 11:40 PM
Quite surprised Lennon didn't get the Raith job.

AND An E
10-03-2017, 12:04 AM
I could have sworn that Austin MacPhee played for Hearts, until I saw his Wiki page. Did they have a player with a similar name?

cabbageandribs1875
10-03-2017, 12:05 AM
I could have sworn that Austin MacPhee played for Hearts, until I saw his Wiki page. Did they have a player with a similar name?

i vaguely remember an austin McCann ?

AND An E
10-03-2017, 12:09 AM
i vaguely remember an austin McCann ? That's the boy.

givescotlandfreedom
10-03-2017, 02:16 AM
As mentioned I couldn't fathom how Danny Lennon lost his job. Kept them in the top league with an 11 point cushion and won them their first trophy in 26 years. What on earth more did they want from him?

givescotlandfreedom
10-03-2017, 02:17 AM
That's the boy.

Gash except for a sole wonder strike in a win for them against Celtc I believe.

Viva_Palmeiras
10-03-2017, 05:50 AM
i vaguely remember an austin McCann ?

Gold Member - the Dutch fella? ;)

Winston Ingram
10-03-2017, 06:48 AM
As mentioned I couldn't fathom how Danny Lennon lost his job. Kept them in the top league with an 11 point cushion and won them their first trophy in 26 years. What on earth more did they want from him?

Also if they'd beaten Hearts on the last day of the season they would have achieved their record ever SPL finish.

Judging by the tone of his interview i got the impression Craig had a big influence on his downfall

Hiber-nation
10-03-2017, 07:11 AM
I remember Chick Young on the radio at the time saying that he had no problem with the decision to sack Danny as the club could do better with someone else in charge. He was absolutely slaughtered by the rest of the pundits. Good old Chick.

blackpoolhibs
10-03-2017, 07:12 AM
John Collins brought him in as his assistant, probably up there with with Alan O'Brien as his worst signing.

If this was the type of information Collins was getting from him, its no wonder the players he brought to the club were nowhere near as good as the ones who were leaving?

Smartie
10-03-2017, 08:13 AM
Was the period in question also the time when John McGinn was "speared"?

If so, this must have been one of the worst periods for self-inflicted damage in Scottish football history.

Danderhall Hibs
10-03-2017, 08:19 AM
John Collins brought him in as his assistant, probably up there with with Alan O'Brien as his worst signing.

If this was the type of information Collins was getting from him, its no wonder the players he brought to the club were nowhere near as good as the ones who were leaving?

The complaints JC got about training being repetitive etc were made by Thompson on the radio as well. Sounds like JCs biggest mistake was asking Craig to be his assistant.

Danderhall Hibs
10-03-2017, 08:20 AM

If so, this must have been one of the worst periods for self-inflicted damage in Scottish football history.

I'm not sure if Lennon was in charge then, however I don't think McGinn left because of that incident. Him and Thompson are still mates.

Hiber-nation
10-03-2017, 08:56 AM

I'm sure Gary Teale was manager then. Interim probably.

kaimendhibs
10-03-2017, 10:27 AM
Was shocked when DL was sacked and utterley astounded when Craig got the job

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Andy74
10-03-2017, 11:23 AM

They expected better, or results to get built on - think there was a decent period after the cup that they barely won a game.

I'm with you though, expectations sometimes are not realistic at the time.

We're not immune to it ourselves mind you!

WoreTheGreen
10-03-2017, 11:31 AM

Austin Allegro poor player kept braking down

bingo70
10-03-2017, 11:34 AM
The complaints JC got about training being repetitive etc were made by Thompson on the radio as well. Sounds like JCs biggest mistake was asking Craig to be his assistant.

JC made a big point about repeating training drills until the players get it right. He made a point that one of Scottish footballs failings was to let people do things wrongly and just get them to repeat them until bad habits were ingrained.

IMO that's fine for teaching kids but professionals take different things from training drills than a 12 year old trying to make it.

Onceinawhile
10-03-2017, 11:36 AM
JC made a big point about repeating training drills until the players get it right. He made a point that one of Scottish footballs failings was to let people do things wrongly and just get them to repeat them until bad habits were inlodged (is that even a word?)

IMO that's fine for teaching kids but professionals take different things from training drills than a 12 year old trying to make it.

Ingrained

bingo70
10-03-2017, 11:46 AM
Ingrained

Now updated, thanks.

Andy74
10-03-2017, 12:04 PM
JC made a big point about repeating training drills until the players get it right. He made a point that one of Scottish footballs failings was to let people do things wrongly and just get them to repeat them until bad habits were ingrained.

Maybe but you also hear about the likes of Beckham standing for hours repeating free kick taking.

Repitition is key to learning any skills.

Smartie
10-03-2017, 01:04 PM
Maybe but you also hear about the likes of Beckham standing for hours repeating free kick taking.

I read a article written by KT this morning (sorry, can't remember where I read it) where he was discussing Riordan signing for Edinburgh City.

A lot of people talk about Deeks' natural talent for shooting and finishing. KT says the truth was that he always worked his backside off to become as good as he has at it.

The best players are generally the hardest working and most able to put up with repetitive tasks without their attention wandering.

That's not to say that there won't coaches who will make these drills a bit more interesting and bearable.

overdrive
10-03-2017, 01:11 PM
I'm not sure if Lennon was in charge then, however I don't think McGinn left because of that incident. Him and Thompson are still mates.

He was using it as leverage to get out of St Mirren though IIRC. Threatened legal action if they didn't waive/reduce the development fee wanted. I think he dropped the threat of suing them as part of the deal with us.

bingo70
10-03-2017, 01:13 PM

Yes that was my point (well, JC's point)

You need to practice and correct what you're doing wrong until the technique is correct and then once it is you need to repeat constantly.

To repeat a bad technique over and over again is pointless.

Bostonhibby
10-03-2017, 05:11 PM
Danny Lennon is a good guy. Craig is a number two.

killie-hibby
10-03-2017, 06:18 PM
I remember Chick Young on the radio at the time saying that he had no problem with the decision to sack Danny as the club could do better with someone else in charge. He was absolutely slaughtered by the rest of the pundits. Good old Chick.

Chick Young unfortunately suffers from memory problems,proven during Wednesday,s Sportsound when he had the cheek to say he wanted Danny to stay in post and was astonished by the boards decision .

Pretty Boy
10-03-2017, 06:26 PM

Alex Fergsuson made a big point about reptitive training drills being important.

A few of his players complained about training being repetituve under Carlos Quieroz and he rold then where to go.

Arch Stanton
10-03-2017, 06:51 PM
I read a article written by KT this morning (sorry, can't remember where I read it) where he was discussing Riordan signing for Edinburgh City.

A lot of people talk about Deeks' natural talent for shooting and finishing. KT says the truth was that he always worked his backside off to become as good as he has at it.

The best players are generally the hardest working and most able to put up with repetitive tasks without their attention wandering.

That's not to say that there won't coaches who will make these drills a bit more interesting and bearable.

:agree:
While happy to admit that I know nothing about such matters I'd hazard a guess that Riordan and Beckham didn't duplicate each others training repetitions. I imagine that if coach and player are not on the same wavelength then repetitions could as easily make technique worse.