PDA

View Full Version : Not "Born a Hibee" but how I "Became a Hibee"

canuckhibee
07-03-2017, 08:23 PM
We have all encountered turning points. Moments that will affect the course of our lives. Whether we recognise those moments, or not, is another matter. I'm not sure I fully recognised the day I became a Hibs fan. It was mid 1970s, I must have been around 7 or 8 years old and living in Corstorphine. I remember one Saturday being in the village with my Mum. For good behaviour she gave me five pounds and I was let loose in Thompsons Sports Shop while she got the messages. I asked the lady in the shop for a Football top - "what top would you like, who is your team"? she asked. Seeing that I was struggling for an answer she gave me a top that was green with white sleeves. I guess that must have been the moment I "became a Hibee".

In a life that's prone to much change your Football team can be the one constant. Throughout life's journey jobs come and go, partners come and go, you will lose touch with dear friends and family too will fade away. Your Football team will never leave you. Yes, your favourite player will move on or retire, a popular manager will move on and, god forbid, your stadium might be torn down and relocated. But the club will always be there. We all need someone to be there for us in life. Who says it can't be a Football club!

To love a Football Club you must first love the game itself. A few years ago whilst working in Kandahar, Afghanistan I was invited by a teacher to a local boys school so the boys could practise their English and generally just mix with a westerner. The morning was pleasant enough, however, they eyed me suspiciously throughout and I never really got the feeling that I had connected. The next again week I returned with a football (not that easy to find in south Afghanistan I can tell you) wearing my Hibs top. On a bit of waste ground and with pashminas for goalposts I kicked the ball high into the air. Cue bedlam and the most chaotic game of football I have ever experienced (sandals flying through the air can make playing Football with Afghans particularly dangerous). It is said that Football's greatest gift is its ability to bring together people from vastly different backgrounds and cultures. It's still the only sport that can reach all four corners of the globe, break down barriers and cut across the lines of racial and ethnic divides. The morning ended with high-fives and smiles. We had found common ground. That morning reminded me of why I loved the game. We had connected through Football and I still smile to this day thinking of the Hibs top I gave to one of the young boys. Is he still wearing it today as he plays with his friends in the suburbs of Kandahar?

Younger fans should know that as you get older you tend to get better at putting things into perspective, understanding what's really important in life. A bad result will no longer be the end of the world. You will grow to learn that following a football club is not just about match day. It's about a sense of belonging. Being a part of something special with people who feel the same way as you. Julie's story touched on the notion of "family" and that as Hibs fans we are all connected. It's true. You might not know the name of the person sitting beside you on match day, however, you know that they will feel the same joy when we win, or same disappointment when we lose. Ultimately, it's that sense of belonging that bring many of us back, year after year, to Easter Road. We all belong to something that is bigger than us. Something that will outlast all of us. And in a way it is strangely comforting to know that our Football Club will continue long after we have each moved on.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
07-03-2017, 08:32 PM
We have all encountered turning points. Moments that will affect the course of our lives. Whether we recognise those moments, or not, is another matter. I'm not sure I fully recognised the day I became a Hibs fan. It was mid 1970s, I must have been around 7 or 8 years old and living in Corstorphine. I remember one Saturday being in the village with my Mum. For good behaviour she gave me five pounds and I was let loose in Thompsons Sports Shop while she got the messages. I asked the lady in the shop for a Football top - "what top would you like, who is your team"? she asked. Seeing that I was struggling for an answer she gave me a top that was green with white sleeves. I guess that must have been the moment I "became a Hibee".

In a life that's prone to much change your Football team can be the one constant. Throughout life's journey jobs come and go, partners come and go, you will lose touch with dear friends and family too will fade away. Your Football team will never leave you. Yes, your favourite player will move on or retire, a popular manager will move on and, god forbid, your stadium might be torn down and relocated. But the club will always be there. We all need someone to be there for us in life. Who says it can't be a Football club!

To love a Football Club you must first love the game itself. A few years ago whilst working in Kandahar, Afghanistan I was invited by a teacher to a local boys school so the boys could practise their English and generally just mix with a westerner. The morning was pleasant enough, however, they eyed me suspiciously throughout and I never really got the feeling that I had connected. The next again week I returned with a football (not that easy to find in south Afghanistan I can tell you) wearing my Hibs top. On a bit of waste ground and with pashminas for goalposts I kicked the ball high into the air. Cue bedlam and the most chaotic game of football I have ever experienced (sandals flying through the air can make playing Football with Afghans particularly dangerous). It is said that Football's greatest gift is its ability to bring together people from vastly different backgrounds and cultures. It's still the only sport that can reach all four corners of the globe, break down barriers and cut across the lines of racial and ethnic divides. The morning ended with high-fives and smiles. We had found common ground. That morning reminded me of why I loved the game. We had connected through Football and I still smile to this day thinking of the Hibs top I gave to one of the young boys. Is he still wearing it today as he plays with his friends in the suburbs of Kandahar?

Younger fans should know that as you get older you tend to get better at putting things into perspective, understanding what's really important in life. A bad result will no longer be the end of the world. You will grow to learn that following a football club is not just about match day. It's about a sense of belonging. Being a part of something special with people who feel the same way as you. Julie's story touched on the notion of "family" and that as Hibs fans we are all connected. It's true. You might not know the name of the person sitting beside you on match day, however, you know that they will feel the same joy when we win, or same disappointment when we lose. Ultimately, it's that sense of belonging that bring many of us back, year after year, to Easter Road. We all belong to something that is bigger than us. Something that will outlast all of us. And in a way it is strangely comforting to know that our Football Club will continue long after we have each moved on.

What a random, but very good post!!!

Sammy7nil
07-03-2017, 08:42 PM

A very good 2nd post :aok:

AgentDaleCooper
07-03-2017, 08:43 PM
i became a hibs fan by kicking a football about with my neighbour, who was (and still is!) a good hibby. nothing that unusual or glamorous or sentimental there.

the first moment i remember knowing i was a hibee though...

my uncle had taken me to hunpox, trying to turn my into a blue nose. it was a great game, saw gascoigne score an amazing free kick against aberdeen, and brian laudrup got the other one. he forked out a fortune on rangers paraphernalia, and i had a great day out, my first football match at the age of 8. he asked me on the way home 'so, are you a rangers fan?' - i considered this question, and in total honest innocence replied 'no, i think i support hibs'.

he just about crashed the car :aok:

:flag: :flag: :flag:

Jonnyboy
07-03-2017, 08:45 PM

Fantastic post :aok:

oneone73
07-03-2017, 09:04 PM

Lovely post. Thanks for sharing.

monktonharp
07-03-2017, 09:41 PM

Younger fans should know that as you get older you tend to get better at putting things into perspective, understanding what's really important in life. A bad result will no longer be the end of the world. You will grow to learn that following a football club is not just about match day. It's about a sense of belonging. Being a part of something special with people who feel the same way as you. Julie's story touched on the notion of "family" and that as Hibs fans we are all connected. It's true. You might not know the name of the person sitting beside you on match day, however, you know that they will feel the same joy when we win, or same disappointment when we lose. Ultimately, it's that sense of belonging that bring many of us back, year after year, to Easter Road. We all belong to something that is bigger than us. Something that will outlast all of us. And in a way it is strangely comforting to know that our Football Club will continue long after we have each moved on. that Sir, or Madam is one of the most refreshing posts I have read in years:aok:

swordin3
07-03-2017, 09:43 PM
I was 9 when my Dad a Hibby passed away ,my brother and sister were jambo's as well as my mother. I thought Hibs are team for me and with a mate I started going to games standing in the cow shed and sometimes the terracing.
My mate persuaded me to start going to away games and said he heard of a bus we might get on Leaving from the Artisan pub. Little did we know it picked up from some pub named the Torino as well. So at 11 year old me and my mate traveled on the Torino bus for at least three seasons getting an education second to none.
Great days but I prefer the quieter life now 40 years later. :flag::flag::flag:

monktonharp
07-03-2017, 09:53 PM
To the Canuck or Canadian, I have mentioned this before: ...... and been slaughtered by my 2 best mates at times for it, and that is......I was brought up in a mining village (newcraighall) next to Edin. It was Willie Bauld country, but mainly Celtic or Rangers, as most pit villages were or still are. My Da was a Hibbie but was working in mining abroad so never had the chance to take me to see the Hibees. I went with the flow and thought I was a Rangers fan, until the age of 13. all my school mates were Hibbies at Porty school as they were from Magdalene and Bingham and a few from Niddrie I went to one game with them versus Rangers and Hibs won 3-1. next week we were on a train to see HFC against Dundee. been watchin' Hibernian for 50 years, this year.

Mainstandman
07-03-2017, 09:54 PM

Totally remember Thomson sports.

monktonharp
07-03-2017, 09:56 PM
I was 9 when my Dad a Hibby passed away ,my brother and sister were jambo's as well as my mother. I thought Hibs are team for me and with a mate I started going to games standing in the cow shed and sometimes the terracing.
My mate persuaded me to start going to away games and said he heard of a bus we might get on Leaving from the Artisan pub. Little did we know it picked up from some pub named the Torino as well. So at 11 year old me and my mate traveled on the Torino bus for at least three seasons getting an education second to none.
Great days but I prefer the quieter life now 40 years later. :flag::flag::flag:TO-REEN-OH ! aye, that wiz a bus and a half

hibsbollah
07-03-2017, 10:00 PM
That's a far better post than we're used to on here. A different perspective. Well done :top marks

Bostonhibby
07-03-2017, 10:02 PM
Great post, cracking story that makes you think a bit.

monktonharp
07-03-2017, 10:10 PM
Totally remember Thomson sports.Certainly do too. Used to get all my Hibs stuff from the shop in Mussie. In fact my Auld man told me a story about a neighbour who was Hibs daft, asked his Ma to get a new scarf at Thomsons in Musselburgh. she came hame with a hearts scarf and said : I just got you that, cos they had nae Hibs yins left. he told her to take it back but she said they don't take things back. his response was ..tell them its far too tight. the whole family were a bit challenged, aparently

Peevemor
07-03-2017, 10:15 PM
Great FP!

Bostonhibby
07-03-2017, 10:27 PM
Remember thomsons sports shop well, got a scarf from there when I was about 10 and still have it to this day.

Pretty sure my first Hibs game was a big win over airdrie at home just before we played Porto and I wasn't allowed to go to that game as it was a night game.

Was taken to the Airdrie game by a Friends dad who was a hearts fans and who had a Hibby and hearts fan as sons.

Our scheme was full of Hibbies and as we beat hearts on the day I was born I was only ever going one way.

NAE NOOKIE
07-03-2017, 10:32 PM

:top marks

I don't usually quote long posts because of the space it takes up ... but this deserves it, fantastic post mate, sums up what a lot of us feel being a football fan.

I have been through the death of more than one person dear to me, family strife, work troubles, the whole nine yards .... but through it all there has been the Hibees .... always there, always something to be part of, always something to take your mind off life's bull**** no matter how much strife they can put you through .............. non fitba folk don't get it.

Just Alf
07-03-2017, 10:40 PM

Thanks for sharing, that brought a wee tear to my eye.... and welcome! :aok:

:flag:

Northern Hibby
07-03-2017, 11:09 PM
Not about me but my daughter

My youngest daughter was watching the euros with me, Inverness had just been promoted to the spl for the first time.

Daughter: Dad Hibs & Caley will be in the same league next season won't they?

Me: Yeees? (not knowing where this was going some of her friends were caley fans)

Daughter: I can only support 1 team right?

Me: yes ☹️(head down now dreading where this was going)

Daughter: It should be my home team shouldn't it?

Me:☹️ ☹️ yes (we lived in Inverness now)

Daughter: After all I was born in Edinburgh

Me:😀💚💚💚😀🇳🇬🇳🇬🇳🇬 I will never love you more than I do right at this very moment 😀

Northern Hibby
07-03-2017, 11:24 PM
Daughters at Hibs celtic final

greenlex
08-03-2017, 03:24 AM
Fantastic original post Canuckhibee
My daughter is my constant companion at games. I'd be lost without her now. Home and away.

GreenLake
08-03-2017, 03:45 AM

Best post in a long time! I changed due to my grandfather and I liked the color green.

I kicked a ball around with some young kids in Panama City on last Christmas day and had a lot of fun. The grassy area in between the roads was sodden and I got mud all over my shoes and myself. I went to visit the Panama Canal museum and viewing area restaurant after looking a right state but it was worth it. I was wearing a Hibs top too and get enjoyment taking the Fontaine, McGinn, Crabbies and Marathon bet names to some far off and spectacular places. Holt is traveling a bit with me too these days.

guidref
08-03-2017, 07:54 AM
I was born in Dunfermline and despite my Dad not liking football I was originally a young pars fan. My Dad then took us to Prestonpans for work and my new neighbour's dad ran the Celtic bus and got to go to the games for free so then became a Celtic fan.

I was able to play a wee bit and was so very fortunate to be an "S" form signing for Hibs and from the first day I stepped through the door I felt at home and have been a tryue Hibby ever since.

Some people are Hibs fans because their fathers were Hibs fans. I became a Hibs fan because I fell in love with the club

bigwheel
08-03-2017, 08:00 AM
I was born in Dunfermline and despite my Dad not liking football I was originally a young pars fan. My Dad then took us to Prestonpans for work and my new neighbour's dad ran the Celtic bus and got to go to the games for free so then became a Celtic fan.

I was able to play a wee bit and was so very fortunate to be an "S" form signing for Hibs and from the first day I stepped through the door I felt at home and have been a tryue Hibby ever since.

Some people are Hibs fans because their fathers were Hibs fans. I became a Hibs fan because I fell in love with the club

Not bad for post 5 ! :aok:

AltheHibby
08-03-2017, 08:45 AM
Before my story, I have to say that is an amazing first post.

I grew up in a family where my dad couldn't care less about football, and my mum's side were all Hearts fan despite a Hibby grandad. I started supporting Hibs as a lad because Pat Stanton's parents lived nearby and he was a local hero.

I suppose it would have been easier to follow family, but I suspect I would be a Hibby now in any case as I hate cheating and all the other stuff that went on across town, and supporting Hibs would have been my "up yours" to them.

HibernianJK
08-03-2017, 08:55 AM
Saw a video on BBC Sport Twitter the other day about a Welsh father & son who moved up here several years ago and 'fell in love with the club' was a great wee interview and shows how brilliant a club we are.

Itsnoteasy
08-03-2017, 09:09 AM
Totally remember Thomson sports.

Still have happy flashbacks of Thompson Sports in Gorgie. The Monday after the weekend they were going to win the league I was walking to school & in the window was a t-shirt. Scottish Champions with a maroon saltire. I think it was the only morning I wanted to be at school early.

KdyHby
08-03-2017, 09:27 AM
Saw a video on BBC Sport Twitter the other day about a Welsh father & son who moved up here several years ago and 'fell in love with the club' was a great wee interview and shows how brilliant a club we are.

Could you post a link to this please? Would be good to see.

WS Hibs
08-03-2017, 10:14 AM
Could you post a link to this please? Would be good to see.

https://twitter.com/BBCSportScot/status/838082811894595586

G B Young
08-03-2017, 11:09 AM
An enjoyable, heartfelt post.

The only part I'd disagree with these days is that 'to love a football club you must love the game itself'. I honestly don't think that's the case for me because much as I will always love Hibs I no longer 'love' football. Hibs are about more than football, they're in the blood. The only football I actually watch these days is Hibs matches. The rest leaves me cold. I find the hype of the overrated Premier League tiresome, while international football is simply boring. In fact, what strikes me most about football matches is how little actually happens during games, the vast majority of which are in fact dull. With Hibs, though, it's about a spiritual investment in a team, a club and a community of fans - and that never leaves you.

G B Young
08-03-2017, 11:17 AM
Still have happy flashbacks of Thompson Sports in Gorgie. The Monday after the weekend they were going to win the league I was walking to school & in the window was a t-shirt. Scottish Champions with a maroon saltire. I think it was the only morning I wanted to be at school early.

Think there was Thompson's sports in Dundas Street too, as well as Leith Walk?

The store many older fans will remember best though is Patrick Thomson's on the Bridges which used to have a big sports department. I remember reading that Pat Stanton bought his boots there:

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/entertainment/lost-edinburgh-patrick-thomson-ltd-1-3242864

JimboHibs
08-03-2017, 11:18 AM

The only part I'd disagree with these days is that 'to love a football club you must love the game itself'. I honestly don't think that's the case for me because much as I will always love Hibs I no longer 'love' football. Hibs are about more than football, they're in the blood. The only football I actually watch these days is Hibs matches. The rest leaves me cold. I find the hype of the overrated Premier League tiresome, while international football is simply boring. In fact, what strikes me most about football matches is how little actually happens during games, the vast majority of which are in fact dull. With Hibs, though, it's about a spiritual investment in a team, a club and a community of fans - and that never leaves you.

Well said,Complete overkill listening to the pundits on 5live talksport craving the next wrong offside decision so they can create some hysteria n turn it into a 2hr debate,u have Savage straight after the games taking baws which then leads to Shearer talking baws later,then the Sunday starts and you end up with Henry & Sourness repeating what Savage & Shearer were saying then later you get Rednapp,Carragher,Neville repeating what every other pundit had said and to top it off you get an ex referee on a Monday morning on sky repeating what every pundit has just talked about....I despise the product that is the EPL.

NAE NOOKIE
08-03-2017, 01:24 PM

Nice to see ... well done lads :aok:

KWJ
08-03-2017, 01:30 PM

I wouldn't say that's football in it's purest form though. I too watch surprisingly little football other than Hibs these days however I still love the game. I'm itching to play it, seeing kids kick a ball about with makeshift goals rather than playing FIFA brings me a bit of joy (not that often these days) and in the story that canuckhibee wrote about - football brings people together.

Football isn't Sky Sports, it's a game for the everyone.

I have very fond memories playing with fellow backpackers from across the world.

NAE NOOKIE
08-03-2017, 01:41 PM

I still love football ... as my partner would tell you ( with a sigh :greengrin ) I will watch anything on the telly, including every televised game of the women's world cup two years ago.

But having said that I totally get where you are coming from ..... the people who are supposed to run the game for the benefit of all are doing anything but, their every move in the last 10 years has been geared to promoting the interests of Europe's biggest leagues and the biggest clubs in those leagues ... if any proof is needed of that, the fact that the wouldn't allow live TV coverage of a game between two clubs from our 'backwater' leagues because it clashes with their greedfest competition says it all.

They have removed the mystery that was the most alluring thing about European football ..... fans would look forward to seeing teams they have only read about or know by their huge reputations when the draw for Europe was open .... now with the fix being in fans from small countries see their clubs pumped out before they have a chance to play any of the giants and fans of the big clubs see each other so often the question has to be, how long until the novelty wears off?

When football fans from the vast majority of countries in Europe see their leagues and clubs sidelined by this rampant greed where the actual game and the folk who support it take second place to money and greed, no wonder folk fall out of love with the actual game itself.

It doesn't help either when two of Scotland's biggest flagship games are bumped to lunchtime kick offs because that's what the TV people have demanded ... where is the regard for the folk who actually support the game in that?

Fanforlife
08-03-2017, 03:50 PM
To the Canuck or Canadian, I have mentioned this before: ...... and been slaughtered by my 2 best mates at times for it, and that is......I was brought up in a mining village (newcraighall) next to Edin. It was Willie Bauld country, but mainly Celtic or Rangers, as most pit villages were or still are. My Da was a Hibbie but was working in mining abroad so never had the chance to take me to see the Hibees. I went with the flow and thought I was a Rangers fan, until the age of 13. all my school mates were Hibbies at Porty school as they were from Magdalene and Bingham and a few from Niddrie I went to one game with them versus Rangers and Hibs won 3-1. next week we were on a train to see HFC against Dundee. been watchin' Hibernian for 50 years, this year.Remember it well Wullie,LOL.

Earlydelivery
08-03-2017, 03:53 PM
Great days but I prefer the quieter life now 40 years later. :flag::flag::flag: ha ha travelled on and help run it for years . A bet it was an education :wink:

BlackSheep
08-03-2017, 04:07 PM
As my username may let on, I am the ONLY hibs fans in my family... for generations... literally!

I was born in Leith, my first memories are of living in the area and growing to love football at a very young age when it came time to pick my team, it seemed logical to support my local team, to me anyway... Despite the fact the family team was the other Edinburgh team...!!!

I think a certain amount a rebelliousness is what really kicked me into being a Hibs fan, and fortunately it stuck.

The down side of this was that the only hibs games i got to see as a youngster were from the Hearts end at Easter Road or at Tynecastle, in fact i remember knowing all the words to the Hearts song a long time before knowing lyrics to many many hibs chants. I still get a wee bit of lost nostalgia when i hear 'Hibs' Heroes' belting out over the tannoys at Easter Road, as when i was 5 my daddy took me down to Tynecastle!!! :(

Being the only hibee in the family still gets its rises from relatives come derby days and they are never too shy when Hearts have gotten the better of us, but all too sheepish when we have done them over. My sibling rivalry is at its greatest when discussing football too.

But in my 32 years i've never felt like i had made the wrong choice and through thick and thin i have supported the boys in green and white.

SmashinGlass
08-03-2017, 04:23 PM
My story is similar to some, but also specific to me.

I was brought up in a house with a yam for a father and a hibee for a mother. My parents split when I was 4 and having weekend access with my dad meant trips to Tynecastle as a nipper. It was dull. I experienced the 1986 super season but was blissfully unaware as I was only 5. My abiding memory of those formative moments was being incredibly bored. My father liked a wee drink (well, a wee bit too much drink!) and regularly left me and my elder bro to sit alone in the merchiston hearts supporters club whilst he got caned with his mates. Needless to say, once my maw finds this out, contact stops. Again, I was none too concerned. It meant I didn't have to spend my saturdays bored out my tits at that hovel!

Anyway, I saw my father fleetingly for the next few years until I was about 13, when I decided he was a waste of space and chose not to see him. It was also around about that time, a few mates at high school were encouraging me to get into football. I enjoyed playing, but never really supported a team. One Saturday, my mate had a spare ticket to the shed as his dad was busy. I went along (can't even remember who we were playing). The game was largely uneventful, but I remember feeling part of something.

A year or so later, my elder cousin (also a hibee) brought me to a midweek cup game. We sat in the main stand. I remembered having been at the game the year before and at that point felt that this was where I should be on matchdays. I felt part of a family. Unfortunately for me, my maw's financial circumstances were such that she couldn't afford to allow me to go to games, so I was left with having to keep tabs from afar.

This all changed again in 1998, on New Year's day to be exact. My cousin asked me if I wanted to come along to the Hibs v Raith game the following day. At this point I was working and could afford to go, so I went. I recall a 5-1 win and the next thing I did was buy a half season and attend every game home and away for the rest of that season. The rest is history....

HibbyAndy
08-03-2017, 04:54 PM

monktonharp
08-03-2017, 05:25 PM
Remember it well Wullie,LOL.behave you:cb

Babyshamble
09-03-2017, 01:05 AM
My grandad was a commando in WW2 based in Edinburgh.he was a fifer from Leslie.where we are still from.Him & his mates had a day off & decided to go to see a game.tynecastle was closest to their barracks so they went to see Hearts.They were away that day to so they ended up going to Easter Rd.Thats why I'm a Hibby. Haha 👍

Halifaxhibby
09-03-2017, 03:41 AM
We have all encountered turning points. Moments that will affect the course of our lives. Whether we recognise those moments, or not, is another matter. I'm not sure I fully recognised the day I became a Hibs fan. It was mid 1970s, I must have been around 7 or 8 years old and living in Corstorphine. I remember one Saturday being in the village with my Mum. For good behaviour she gave me five pounds and I was let loose in Thompsons Sports Shop while she got the messages. I asked the lady in the shop for a Football top - "what top would you like, who is your team"? she
asked. Seeing that I was struggling for an answer she gave me a top that was green with white sleeves. I guess that must have been the moment I "became a Hibee".

cracking read mate. i grew up in that area/era and to get a fiver to spend in those days was a lot of money bud!!! i was cutting about in my sergio gallini top and farahs early 80's and i was lucky to get 50p a week in pocke

cracking read mate. grew up in the same area/era. if u got a fiver in those days u were a lucky lad!!!

connerg
09-03-2017, 07:07 AM

Exactly how i feel. :top marks

Saint Hibee
09-03-2017, 09:30 AM
I was born and raised in Southampton and as a teenager was a Saints season ticket holder during the Le Tissier/Shearer glory years. When I moved to Edinburgh ten years ago with my young family one of the removals men moving us into our flat in Pitt Street asked which team I was going to bring the kids up supporting, Hibs or Hearts? I told him that I'd yet to give it much thought, and he replied in all seriousness that he was a Jambo and that being a Hearts fan was the only way to climb the social ladder. I remember wondering what kind of weird, perverse people would support a football team in order to improve their social status? My decision was made there and then; I took my son to Easter Road the very next day and we've been season ticket holders ever since.

NZ Green
09-03-2017, 09:53 AM
(sandals flying through the air can make playing Football with Afghans particularly dangerous). I cant imagine 'sandals' being on my list of dangers in Afghanistan!
Amazing how one fleeting decision by a woman in a shop to give you a Hibs top changed much of your future.

StirlingHibee
10-03-2017, 09:47 PM
She might have easily given you a maroon top with white sleeves - god forbid.

StirlingHibee
11-03-2017, 01:54 PM
Great post btw.

canuckhibee
11-03-2017, 09:09 PM
She might have easily given you a maroon top with white sleeves - god forbid.

You're right. That thought hadn't crossed my mind.

canuckhibee
11-03-2017, 09:18 PM
:top marks

I don't usually quote long posts because of the space it takes up ... but this deserves it, fantastic post mate, sums up what a lot of us feel being a football fan.

I have been through the death of more than one person dear to me, family strife, work troubles, the whole nine yards .... but through it all there has been the Hibees .... always there, always something to be part of, always something to take your mind off life's bull**** no matter how much strife they can put you through .............. non fitba folk don't get it.

Agree mate.

There have been times when Easter Road has been a refuge from the troubles of life. Thanks for sharing.

nellio
11-03-2017, 09:23 PM

Same story as me! I moved to Edinburgh 5 years ago from Cwmbran in S Wales. Had a Cardiff season ticket since i was a kid. Had a Hibs one for the last 4 years so apart from the cup final all crap in yhe leauge since I moved here! This is our year though !

Stantons Angel
11-03-2017, 09:52 PM
Enjoyed reading the original post and found it quite moving really.

Ive had to think long and hard on why im a Hibby, cause ive been asked the same question more than once!

I still havent an answer that i can truly say explains why!

I suppose it must have something to do with being born and brought up in Leith in the era of the famous five. I was aware that the crowds snaking down Easter Road nearly every Saturday were people trying to get in to see a football match. The reason why, was way beyond me.I moved to the other side of town when i was 9yrs old and soon found the boys at my new school in horrible maroon strips every day.

I went with a group of friends to see the Hibs in the mid 60's and that was that!

Like most people ive had some bad times in my life but my love of my football club helped me fight through the pain and uncertainty surrounding me at the time.

People say that being a Hibs supporter is being part of the family, and without that family i dont think id have made it through those times.

Ive had a great time being a Hibs supporter, visited many different countries supporting my team and met some really wonderful characters on my way.

So this is why im a Hibby and as Lawrie said "i will die a Hibby" i hope you understand! GGTTH!