PDA

View Full Version : Prat

at last 61
07-03-2017, 07:08 PM
Anybody came across any players or former players who have been real prats especially Them or had a run in with any players or ex players.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Niffy
07-03-2017, 07:11 PM
At an official do I asked Alex Miller if it was true Gordon Strachan was coming as was the rumour , maybe he'd been asked too often , or was offended in another way as he just snapped " no we're f***** not"

Diclonius
07-03-2017, 07:44 PM
At the end of the derby the other week, I took the shortcut through the middle of the West Upper as it tends to be quiet there. A couple guys had to let me pass and when they turned round it turned out they were Dylan McGeouch and Alex Harris.

"Awrite," I said, slightly awkwardly.

"Awrite," they replied, also slightly awkwardly.

Mortified. Never seen such disgraceful behaviour from Hibs players. And to paying customers too! Ahm never goin' back etc etc.

fat freddy
07-03-2017, 07:47 PM
My ex wife was a student in glasgow and worked as a waitress at a hotel frequented by a lot of Rangers players and management, on one occasion a group were having dinner and Souness asked her for an apple, she brought him a granny smith green apple and he asked her 'what the f#@k is this? what are you doing bringing me this?' he spent a while making her feel embarrassed and uncomfortable in front of the players and sent her off to get a red apple, apparantly huns dont eat anything green. Prat

Famous Fiver
07-03-2017, 07:51 PM
Medals Mackay proves weekly that he is a prat with his slaverings in the Evening News.

3 - 1 prediction Garry? Aye, right!!!!

Joe6-2
07-03-2017, 07:52 PM
My ex wife was a student in glasgow and worked as a waitress at a hotel frequented by a lot of Rangers players and management, on one occasion a group were having dinner and Souness asked her for an apple, she brought him a granny smith green apple and he asked her 'what the f#@k is this? what are you doing bringing me this?' he spent a while making her feel embarrassed and uncomfortable in front of the players and sent her off to get a red apple, apparantly huns dont eat anything green. Prat

She should have rammed it down his ignorant throat, scrote!

mjhibby
07-03-2017, 07:57 PM
At an official do I asked Alex Miller if it was true Gordon Strachan was coming as was the rumour , maybe he'd been asked too often , or was offended in another way as he just snapped " no we're f***** not"

Met Alex miller a couple of times through work and he came across as a nice guy with a dry sense of humour. You must have just caught him on a bad day.

hfc rd
07-03-2017, 07:59 PM
Kenny Dalglish. Very good player but a proper bellend of a man. Was at a show racism the red card event a couple of years ago and I remember approaching him for an autograph. He refused to sign and I asked why? His response was "I don't f****** need too". The old fella behind me got an autograph from him and when he heard what happened to me, he ripped it up and spat at it in front of Dalglish.

SRHibs
07-03-2017, 07:59 PM
John Hughes barged into my brother outside the Persevere and was pretty rude about it.

Malthibby
07-03-2017, 08:07 PM
My first wife worked at the hotel Goram stayed at in Northfield when he first moved up. Rough took young Andy 'under his wing'
& made sure he knew where the bar was. Rough was more than a little lecherous towards my ex & was told that his lack of
control of his hands certainly explained why Goram had replaced him as goalie.

Heisenberg
07-03-2017, 08:07 PM
I met Colin Calderwood after a game once. He was a ****.

BH Hibs
07-03-2017, 08:26 PM
Sandy Clark complete and utter self absorbed if he was chocolate he would eat himself prat.

allmodcons
07-03-2017, 08:26 PM
My first wife worked at the hotel Goram stayed at in Northfield when he first moved up. Rough took young Andy 'under his wing'
& made sure he knew where the bar was. Rough was more than a little lecherous towards my ex & was told that his lack of
control of his hands certainly explained why Goram had replaced him as goalie.

I met Alan Rough a few years ago at Sportsman's Dinner. He was a right arrogant prick and, in support of what you say, certainly thought he was the real deal with the ladies. :confused:

Topographic Hibby
07-03-2017, 08:40 PM
In a previous life, I worked in Financial Services in Edinburgh and had dealings with a number of Hibs, Hearts players, and some other teams. For reasons of customer confidentiality, no names, no pack drill, but.......

Had a number of dealings with a former member of Gorgie team management, who was an absolute gem. His wife on the other hand was a Class-A, pain in the rear batttleaxe. My heart would sink when I saw her name in the diary or call-back list.

Sammy7nil
07-03-2017, 08:46 PM
Met Alex miller a couple of times through work and he came across as a nice guy with a dry sense of humour. You must have just caught him on a bad day.

Yip i agree meet him a couple of times seemed a nice guy.

Sammy7nil
07-03-2017, 08:52 PM
Met the whole McLeish team everyone was a good guy although Mixu came across as a bit disinerested in everything except food they were in my brother in laws restaurant for the christmas night out.

On a seperate night i was at a dinner with McLeish at my table i was making conversation and asked if Latapy and Sauzee where likely to sign new contracts his response was I should be more concerned about him signing a contract PRAT

heretoday
07-03-2017, 08:56 PM
I met Alan Rough a few years ago at Sportsman's Dinner. He was a right arrogant prick and, in support of what you say, certainly thought he was the real deal with the ladies. :confused:

A very overrated keeper in my opinion and as for that football programme he's on at STV....... It's a disgrace to Scottish broadcasting.

07-03-2017, 08:57 PM
Can't say i've ever personally had an unpleasant experience with a player/manger but a few years back I was in a taxi and the driver, after getting onto the topic of hibs, told me he had Gary O'Connor in his taxi once. Picked him up after a night out up town and said O'Conner basically barged his way to the front of the queue and was acting like a right arrogant prick. Giving it all the sort of "do you not know who I am" patter. I think by the sounds of it he was pretty off his face so perhaps maybe he's a nicer guy when sober but even still, the taxi driver just said that night he came across as an absolute bellend who thought he was some mega star.

Alex Trager
07-03-2017, 09:00 PM
Medals Mackay proves weekly that he is a prat with his slaverings in the Evening News.

He head butted my mate after the 0-0 he predicted as 3-1

tamig
07-03-2017, 09:00 PM
I got to know Scott Crabbe quite well over the past ten years or so and have to say that he's a thoroughly likeable chap - other than the obvious.

Bishop Hibee
07-03-2017, 09:04 PM
I got to know Scott Crabbe quite well over the past ten years or so and have to say that he's a thoroughly likeable chap - other than the obvious.

I'm sure even Hitler had pals 😉

blindsummit
07-03-2017, 09:09 PM
Anybody came across any players or former players who have been real prats especially Them or had a run in with any players or ex players.

Derek Dougan. A twat of the highest order, I'm afraid to say.

jabis
07-03-2017, 09:12 PM
About 27years ago........

Working at Macdonald cycles in Morrison street,guy and his wife come in to buy a bike for there 3yrs old kid.

Me : how about this wee bike,it's green and called "the jungle"

Trevor Steven:that looks good

Mrs Steven: he's taking the piss :agree:

Still sold them a bike:aok:

at last 61
07-03-2017, 09:16 PM
Met graham weir we used to work together talking away to him until someone told me who he was only joking I started giving him a hard time he didn't know where to look but turns out he is a really nice guy we ended up as mates

NORTHERNHIBBY
07-03-2017, 09:22 PM
Once asked Gordon must score Smith if he could move his car at a petrol station so I could fill up and he said no. And then said do you not know who I am.

Niffy
07-03-2017, 09:26 PM
About 5 years ago my band played at Bannermans and as we packed up to go a VERY drunk Willie Miller (ours not Aberdeens) begged for a lift home.
Not a prat but just annoying. Even more so as I loved him as a player.

J-C
07-03-2017, 09:32 PM
Got to know Alan Maybury and Michael O'Neil from the David Lloyd Corstorphine, both really nice blokes and happy to chat over a coffee in the bar area. When Maybury left all my insider info went with him :(

Peevemor
07-03-2017, 09:38 PM
A pal's elderly Aunt was a close neighbour of Alex McLeish. She was a tough cookie and people had to earn her respect, but she raved about McLeish being a real gent - he even stopped his car to pick her up once when she was toiling with shopping bags a couple of hundred yards from her house.

The same mate decorated Mixu's flat at Holyrood and said that both him and Mrs Mixu were brand new (and Mixu was Hibs daft).

I've met quite a few players over the years and they were all pretty sound.

Bobby Williamson came into the Northern Bar one night with some other guy and sat at the bar beside us. We acknowledged him, made it known we were hibees but left him in peace. He finished his drink then put a round for us in the tap as he was leaving. He was probably on his way to the pictures but it was pretty sound of him.

A crowd of us were in the West End Hotel one night and Andy Watson (who was at Rangers with McLeish at the time) came in with his wife. One of my mates had a camera on him (pre smartphone days) and asked him if there was "any chance of a photo". When Watson said it was no problem, my pal handed him the camera then went and posed with the wife. AW burst out laughing and took the photo anyway.

One unfortunate exception was Kano in his plooky youth. I remember him one Saturday night in Gatsby's (I know, I know...) wearing a leather suit. He was a total dick with one of my mates who had the cheek to ask him the time. Kano gave it the "d'ye ken who I am" stuff (in fact, my mate didn't) and was all "f*** of ya dick". Pretty disappointing as he was one of my favourites at the time.

I saw Scott Nisbet and his mates upstairs on an LRT bus once, and he was a total cock.

Hibee87
07-03-2017, 09:40 PM
Seen Bob Malcolm oot his nut at t in the park. He was tooting away and generally falling about at the big wheel . Some guys who I think we're currents based on them trying be pally but he told them to eff off and staggered away seemed a right bellend

Swedish hibee
07-03-2017, 09:44 PM
I met James McPake at an airport, he was Hibs captain at the time and alone, so popped over for a chat.. Wish I hadn't as he was not nice at all! What a d-ick.

Peevemor
07-03-2017, 09:49 PM

Working at Macdonald cycles in Morrison street,guy and his wife come in to buy a bike for there 3yrs old kid.

I spoke to him once at Ibrox (at the time he'd been out injured for a good while). I let on that I was a hibee behind enemy lines and he was really sound.

steakbake
07-03-2017, 09:56 PM
Went to the calendar signing one time. Scott Brown was totally disinterested and asked what time the Chelsea game started. There was also something about someone's kid being sad.

Has anyone else waited for an opportunity only to be disappointed?

Hiber-nation
07-03-2017, 10:01 PM
When Eddie Turnbull had Mac's Bar my mate took his lager back and told Eddie it was off.

"F*** off son" was Eddie's response :greengrin

Just Alf
07-03-2017, 10:06 PM
Once worked in David Murray's office, he chatted away and made sure one of the girls got me a coffee, even though he knew I was a Hibbie!

Also worked in Sir Tom Farmer's office one Saturday morning, he also nattered away, had a good chinwag re the footy! .... he disappeared and came back 10 mins later carrying a pot of coffee and choccy biscuits :thumbsup:

07-03-2017, 10:23 PM
The young guy who played for us (well he was in the youth team mainly and only made a few bench apearances) Scott Smith is apparently a right bell end. Used to know a few folk who knew him.

HibernianJK
07-03-2017, 10:27 PM
People may not like this one but Anthony Stokes is an arrogant prick. Legend, but not the nicest man.

Just Alf
07-03-2017, 10:31 PM
Two other experiences of note...

one was Chris Robinson, worked his office at Hopetoun House... he wasn't there to start with and it was the normal run of the mill thing... working away and one of the office folk made us a coffee when they were having theirs, what a change when the Pieman arrived, one of the girls almost ran through and grabbed our mugs saying something along the lines of "he doesn't like us giving folks coffee or tea as you should be working when you're here".
To round it off he was an ignorant sod when he came through to talk to me about the job.... something along the lines of the work needed to be perfect and "left the way it is now" etc etc.... his face was a picture when I pointed out that the bit of work he was going on about was already done!

The other was Wallace Mercer (the astute of you may notice some sort of minor common theme at this point!), went to his newly bought house at Barnton, the sellers had done the whole place up, new bathroom suites the lot, they still had that blue paper ceramic bogs used to have to prevent scratches.
He didn't like them, fair enough, so he got the guys to rip all the new stuff back out and told them to skip the lot. with it all still lying on the side lawn one of the guys asked him if it would be ok to take one of the suites for a project.
The answer? ... NO... he then proceeded to get a couple of labourers smash the stuff up with hammers and to make sure he also got them to throw the (brand new!!) taps onto a bonfire all while he watched.

I later found out that the "project" was a charity for folk with special needs on Gorgie Road :rolleyes:

Lago
07-03-2017, 10:31 PM
My wife's cousin was a great pal of Graham Mitchell & he asked Graham to leave complimentary tickets for me & my father in law, great main stand every home game, until one game against Celtic no tickets. Word was sent into main stand & Alec Ferguson's brother came out to see us & said Graham was sorry but tickets had already gone to a close friend, but Ferguson asked us to follow him into stand down the tunnel then he asked, home or away? Home says I and we got great seats behind dug outs. Two gents.

The Green Goblin
07-03-2017, 10:40 PM
Many years ago now, me and Springbank (the poster on here) once drove up to see Hibs v Aberdeen at Pittodrie. After the game, we were heading back but ended up sitting for ages in the traffic trying to turn onto Union Street, which was nose to tail with cars. Anyway, eventually, this car across the road waited and the driver waved us out. A closer look revealed the driver to be Billy Dodds, who had played in the game (which we had won). His car was all covered with his own name and some company that sponsored him. We looked at each other then turned back and gave him the tongs and a bit of get-it-round-ye, laughing. He drove on. We ended up sitting there for a good fifteen more minutes waiting to get out, but in our petty minds it was well worth it. :wink:

I suppose in this case, he was being pretty decent and it was us who were prats and bellends. :greengrin

The Green Goblin
07-03-2017, 10:42 PM
People may not like this one but Anthony Stokes is an arrogant prick. Legend, but not the nicest man.

He helped give me the best day of my life, so I think I can forgive him...:wink:

Cletus
07-03-2017, 10:58 PM
Was in a pizza shop on London rd at 4am after a defeat to rangers whilst le god was manager. O'Connor and two Burberry clad neddy mates were in the shop. They were wrecked and O'Connor was slagging off le god to anyone who would listen. I was fuming about it for days.

QMU-1875
07-03-2017, 11:19 PM
Anthony Stokes (who had left us for Celtic at this point) and Danny Galbraith were both in Lulu's with another hibs player (can't remember who) on George Street a while back. Me and a mate from uni both went up to them to let them know that we were both hibees and Danny Galbraith pretty much flew for us dying for a scrap. Was bizarre. Stokes looked like he was loving it as well was as if Galbraith was playing up to him. Anyway, Galbraith got chucked out if memory serves correctly and we got on with our night. Was delighted when he left. As for Stokes, all is forgiven ****ger :agree:

1875STEVE
07-03-2017, 11:21 PM
As a postie, I used to deliver to a development next to Liberton Golf Club, there was loads of football players staying there at one point.

Alan Maybury - When he was at Hearts, I used to wear my hibs scarf round my delivery when it was cold, we used to have a fair bit of banter. Really nice bloke. He had two HUGE, i think German Shepherds, which he knew I was **** scared off. When I had to bang his door for parcels, he used let them both rush the door.

Lee Makel - spoke to him a few times, seemed sound, also had a few comments to make about me being a Hibby.

Javier Sanchez Broto - Used to shout "ola postieeeeeeee" he was sound.

David Fernandez - Arrogant knob. shades on in the pissing rain, never spoke a word once, even though I handed him mail a million times.

Gabrial Amato - Really nice bloke as well, could hardly speak a word of English, but used to offer me tea/coffee on cold days.

Dick Advocatt - Didn't deliver to him, but I don't think Amato could drive, he used to pick him up for, i think training. Used to slag Hibs off, then when we were due to play them, he bet me £50 they would beat us, i told him I couldny afford to bet like that. Hibs won 1-0 (Zitelli). on the Monday morning he handed me an envelope and drove away. £50 in it. Plus a picture of the league table, with Rangers highlighted in blue pen, and Hibs below them in green.

Yannik Zambernardi - A nice enough guy, but just came across daft as a brush. His wife/Girlfriend was just....:top marks:top marks:top marks

Grant Brebner - Sound as. Really nice bloke, signed a few Hibs things I took him. Stayed in a huge, stunning house.

Alex McLeish - Only ever used to see him briefly, used to get a "morning postie". His wife was a lovely women.

Chris Hogg - didnt deliver to him, but he used to buy a paper every morning from the same shop at liberton that i used to deliver to. Spoke a few times about Hibs, and got him to sign a few things.

jgl07
07-03-2017, 11:29 PM

Sourness probably hadn't recovered from his altercation with Aggie, the St Johnson tea lady!

scm70nyd1973
07-03-2017, 11:33 PM
I wasn't actually there but my mate told me about this. Story is that a few years ago my mate (a lifelong Hun but good guy) was in the Sponsor's lounge at Castle Greyskull - his company were sponsoring the game and had chosen the MOTM. So in comes Kevin Thomson the chosen MOTM and my mate - in front of all of his Hun loving colleagues (actually - hate to say it but all pretty decent guys as well TBH) tells KT that his best mate (me) is a mental Hibby. The glorious and immediate response from KT was "good guy then". Colleagues must have thought "what a prat" (KT not me that is - well actually probably a bit of both TBH) but on hearing this I personally felt very warm inside - imagine a Rangers (they were called that back then) player , within the confines of Ibrox, saying good things about a Cabbage supporter - lucky to get out alive if you ask me - that is KT and my mate for knowing me and mentioning that he was actually friends with a Hibby !

mcfly
07-03-2017, 11:37 PM
Bumped into pat fenlon at hampden 21 may 2016

Had his hibs scarf on - really nice bloke - loved the club

Didn't work out for him but fair play for supporting us at the cup final.

One Day Soon
08-03-2017, 12:00 AM
Went to the calendar signing one time. Scott Brown was totally disinterested and asked what time the Chelsea game started. There was also something about someone's kid being sad.

Has anyone else waited for an opportunity only to be disappointed?

A calendar signing you say? Can't see a discussion on that lasting long.

Can anyone else see a discussion on calendars lasting more than a page?

DTS
08-03-2017, 12:24 AM
Alan maybury Liam Fontaine for hibs players and Danny Wilson were all regulars during my time working at Tesco in Bathgate! At the start of this current season maybury told me that all the staff at Falkirk were aware before the play off game that Stubbs was away at the end of the season regardless of cup and play off results. Danny Wilson surpringly for an ex hearts and current Hun was actually a really decent guy had plenty banter about the cup final and actually lives at the top of my best mates street. Fontaine was never really up for much conversation

snooky
08-03-2017, 12:38 AM
If a stranger comes up and speaks to me, it's not everyone I take to at first glance and I could see how someone would think I was a bit offish if I didn't like the look of them. To be fair to players, it must be the same for them.

Forza Fred
08-03-2017, 12:38 AM
Never had a bad experience with an ex Hibs player, and guess just like the rest of us they are human and can have good or bad days.

Did over the years have contact with various players from Oz for a variety of reasons, and I was surprised by how nice they were to a common enemy!

Appreciate that others experiences maybe different, but John Robertson of The manky mob, went out of his way at a difficult time for him, to supply a Hearts strip for auction for a fund raiser for us.

He had the number 27 (the number of goals he scored against us) and his name printed on the back and engaged in good natured banter throughout the process.

Never met him, he didn't have to spend any time etc..but couldn't have done any more for us.

connerg
08-03-2017, 01:15 AM
Alan maybury Liam Fontaine for hibs players and Danny Wilson were all regulars during my time working at Tesco in Bathgate! At the start of this current season maybury told me that all the staff at Falkirk were aware before the play off game that Stubbs was away at the end of the season regardless of cup and play off results. Danny Wilson surpringly for an ex hearts and current Hun was actually a really decent guy had plenty banter about the cup final and actually lives at the top of my best mates street. Fontaine was never really up for much conversation

If Stubbs had got us promoted he'd still be here.

Forza Fred
08-03-2017, 01:31 AM
A calendar signing you say? Can't see a discussion on that lasting long.

Can anyone else see a discussion on calendars lasting more than a page?

Only if one of the subjects raised during alleged conversation in the line is whether Deeks could still do a job for us😋

poolman
08-03-2017, 02:44 AM
Total opposite here

Had a few pints with Sandy Macnair last night and he was at the same corporate table as Stubbsy and John Doolan at the latest humping of the Yams

Two of the nicest guys you could wish to meet he said

Craig_HFC
08-03-2017, 06:51 AM
The young guy who played for us (well he was in the youth team mainly and only made a few bench apearances) Scott Smith is apparently a right bell end. Used to know a few folk who knew him.

Yep, agree with this. Scott Smith was a total fud.

Yorkshire HFC
08-03-2017, 07:06 AM
A very overrated keeper in my opinion and as for that football programme he's on at STV....... It's a disgrace to Scottish broadcasting.

Overrated? He single handedly kept Hibs in the Premier league for a good few seasons - short memories

Aldo
08-03-2017, 07:31 AM
Have met a few former players. Most have been ok...

Medals Mackay compered a charity evening for our friends dad who had past away and he was actually ok.

Alan Rough and Joe Harper.... both were speakers at a Sportsmans dinner and I spoke with them both before and after and they were ok.

Lewis S..... was on the train back to kirkcaldy not long after the 2007 LC victory and I was sitting reading the Evening News Special Edition. Lewis sat opposite and like the gent he was spoke with me and signed my paper. Very very humble and seemed a wee bit embarrassed that I recognised him.

As I mentioned most have been ok but st the same charity evening Goram was there and was a total and utter prick. Drunk and very loud and quite disrespectful throughout and was heckling folk when they were talking in memory of our friends dad. Few folk had words but didn't stop him being an arse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Auckland Hibs
08-03-2017, 07:53 AM
The Good:

Latapy
Dwight Yorke
Keith, Keith, Keith
Mickey Weir
Chris Jackson
Darren Jackson
Steven Tweed
Jim Leighton
Robbo
Dennis Wise
McLeish
Harry Potter
Grant Bremner
Ray Wilkins
Jimmy Boco
Gordon Hunter

The Bad:

Yogi Hughes
Shaun Dennis
Deeks
Barry Lavety
Andy Goram
Andy Dow

bigwheel
08-03-2017, 08:01 AM
This thread is quite funny...hearing fans opinions on players characters... I wonder how people would react if we could get the reverse version...players views on what individual fans are like to meet in person! Now that , is the thread I would like to read! :wink:

Brightside
08-03-2017, 08:17 AM

His laddies on the other hand are total arsewipes.

WeeRussell
08-03-2017, 09:17 AM
Anthony Stokes (who had left us for Celtic at this point) and Danny Galbraith were both in Lulu's with another hibs player (can't remember who) on George Street a while back. Me and a mate from uni both went up to them to let them know that we were both hibees and Danny Galbraith pretty much flew for us dying for a scrap. Was bizarre. Stokes looked like he was loving it as well was as if Galbraith was playing up to him. Anyway, Galbraith got chucked out if memory serves correctly and we got on with our night. Was delighted when he left. As for Stokes, all is forgiven ****ger :agree:

Don't doubt your story (and I know the two of them have been out in George at together before) but was surprised reading that. I used to know Danny quite well, though haven't spoke in a few years, and although he wasn't a great player for us by any stretch - I can't imagine him trying to scrap with anyone, ever!

met a few footballers over the years and although it's annoying when you get a bit of attitude off them.. we all have our moments. If I asked someone's opinion on a minute conversation or first impression of a lot of guys I hang about with.. I'm sure a swear word or two would be used :)

Having said that.. David Grof was a clown.. nice enough laddie, but a clown haha

kaimendhibs
08-03-2017, 09:17 AM
Met Kevin Thomson before the derby at tynecastle. Really nice guy who was happy to chat and pose for pictures.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Diclonius
08-03-2017, 09:29 AM
Having said that.. David Grof was a clown.. nice enough laddie, but a clown haha

Now there's a player who was more famous for his exploits out on the town or on the internet than the (one) time he played for us. Even more impressive that this was pre-Facebook and all we had was MSN.

tamig
08-03-2017, 09:45 AM
The other was Wallace Mercer (the astute of you may notice some sort of minor common theme at this point!), went to his newly bought house at Barnton, the sellers had done the whole place up, new bathroom suites the lot, they still had that blue paper ceramic bogs used to have to prevent scratches.
He didn't like them, fair enough, so he got the guys to rip all the new stuff back out and told them to skip the lot. with it all still lying on the side lawn one of the guys asked him if it would be ok to take one of the suites for a project.
The answer? ... NO... he then proceeded to get a couple of labourers smash the stuff up with hammers and to make sure he also got them to throw the (brand new!!) taps onto a bonfire all while he watched.

I later found out that the "project" was a charity for folk with special needs on Gorgie Road :rolleyes:
What a horrific specimen that individual was. Disgusting character.

High-On-Hibs
08-03-2017, 10:09 AM
Think it's a bit harsh to judge ex-players and managers.... etc based on one negative interaction. Everybody has bad days at the office and it only takes someone to come up to them and say the wrong thing at the worst possible time to set them off.

Not that a rotten attitude towards fans is justified. However, I think theres far more to it than simply "being a dick".

Northernhibee
08-03-2017, 10:11 AM
Craig Levein would often pop into our work when he was Dundee United manager. Self important arrogant prick.

Thief
08-03-2017, 10:47 AM
Dick Advocatt - Didn't deliver to him, but I don't think Amato could drive, he used to pick him up for, i think training. Used to slag Hibs off, then when we were due to play them, he bet me £50 they would beat us, i told him I couldny afford to bet like that. Hibs won 1-0 (Zitelli). on the Monday morning he handed me an envelope and drove away. £50 in it. Plus a picture of the league table, with Rangers highlighted in blue pen, and Hibs below them in green.

Thanks for sharing those memories, I really enjoyed them but the Dick Advocatt one was a stand out! What a fantastic story and lovely gesture from him [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jdships
08-03-2017, 10:59 AM
Martin Murphy Ferguson ( Sir Alex's brother)
Met up with him thro' " Business" a number of times over 1980'/90's
Devoid of manners or thought for other people
Loved to play the " Do you know who I am ?" card

My_Wife_Camille
08-03-2017, 11:40 AM
John Baird is as much of a horrible wee fanny off the pitch as he is on it.

stokesmessiah
08-03-2017, 11:57 AM
Met Tam McManus in Espionage one evening, I am pretty sure we had just been pumped by Dundee Utd that afternoon.

He was about as rude and ignorant as you can get. Roaster.

Mainstandman
08-03-2017, 12:27 PM
I met Scott brown in the Dakota hotel before the 2013 final. Was happy to get photo with my lad. Met a few different players with work, nick colgan nice guy, Jamie langfield ****, his wife was nice though.

Lago
08-03-2017, 12:48 PM
Martin Murphy Ferguson ( Sir Alex's brother)
Met up with him thro' " Business" a number of times over 1980'/90's
Devoid of manners or thought for other people
Loved to play the " Do you know who I am ?" card
Not my experience of Martin Ferguson, see my earlier post.

CRAZYHIBBY
08-03-2017, 12:54 PM
Saw zitelli once at a do in leith....i tried to have a chat with him but he waved his hand in my face and stormed off....at first i thought it was just me but then he did the same to an guy and his young son who asked for an autograph.......i know some guys just want to enjoy their night in peace but he was an arrogant prick that night.....brewster on the other hand was an absolute gent and a great laugh

leithsansiro
08-03-2017, 01:16 PM
I used to see Darren Dods out running quite often as he used to go passed where I lived. Came across as a really nice bloke, having stopped his morning jog to help me change a tyre on the car.

Not Hibs related, but former Scotland boss Craig Brown came in to do a speech at my sons school, and he was really good.

Met Ivan Sproule at Edinburgh Airport once. Asked him (while wearing my Hibs tshirt) if he'd have a photo with my son, and the lad couldn't have been more patient and nicer

08-03-2017, 01:30 PM
I know everybody has bad days and i'm sure it must get annoying getting people coming up to you all the time when your out asking for autographs, selfies etc. but at the end of the day its the fans who make these guys what they are and its our money that goes towards their silly wages.

Met Paul Hanlon once and he couldn't have been nicer. Really happy to take time out to chat, get a picture etc.

Hibernia&Alba
08-03-2017, 01:46 PM
It's hilarious to read about pompous bawbags such as Gordon Smith giving it the "do you know who I am"? line, as if they are Frank Sinatra or Elvis. My response would be "no, and I'm guessing nobody else knows who you are, either".

mjhibby
08-03-2017, 02:41 PM
Overrated? He single handedly kept Hibs in the Premier league for a good few seasons - short memories

Short memories indeed. The most underrated keeper ever. Only behind Leighton and goram as best hibs keepers. Just remember the defenders he had on front of him.

ancient hibee
08-03-2017, 03:06 PM
Players perform on the field and do many things with fans in their own time.I find the idea that they should also have to interrupt what they are doing with family and friends at private times so that a total stranger can become best pal for a moment utterly bizarre.To then be criticised for being rude when it's the person interrupting who is is absolutely ludicrous.

EH6 Hibby
08-03-2017, 03:35 PM
Keith Wright bought me a drink once. I was raging.

s.a.m
08-03-2017, 03:46 PM
Steven Tweed once nearly ran me over. My fault, but he looked really apologetic, so I'm putting him on the Good Guy pile.

Baader
08-03-2017, 03:49 PM
Keith Wright bought me a drink once. I was raging.

Top man. Hibby, legend and a really nice guy to boot. Spoke to him in The Scottie once and he was a real gent. Same with Michael O Neill and Sauzee when I bumped into them on separate occasions. Franck was with his wife and friend but took time to chat with me for about 5 minutes before running along Princes Street to catch them up.

As for prat footballers haven't met any but my mate worked Hibs Hospitality for a few years circa McLeish and informed me Justin Skinner was a total £#@*. Mixu was the best and bought him a bottle of champagne once.

1van Sprou7e
08-03-2017, 03:59 PM
A friend and I snuck into Stubbsy's post match press conference after the final and we ran down to shake his hand and get a picture as it was ending.

He wasn't rude but you could tell he really couldn't be arsed with us but I don't blame him, he looked absolutely drained and had just sat through about 20 sh*te questions about how the pitch invasion had "ruined the occasion"

Also met John McGinn as we were leaving the stadium, he was extremley friendly

Smartie
08-03-2017, 04:04 PM
In the later years of Wallace Mercer's life he lived abroad and I'm sure tax reasons limited the amount of time he was able to spend in this country.

One time I was dropping my then girlfriend off at the airport and I stopped to let a couple cross the zebra crossing outside the airport. I quickly spotted that the tanned gentleman was none other than Wallace Mercer so flung the revs on the engine up high as he passed in front of my car.

The poor old chap s*at his pants and as I gave him a "welcome back to Edinburgh Mr Mercer" smile, he shot me a glare that wasn't quite so friendly.

Not so much a story that makes any judgment as to how much of an erse Mercer was (as we all know that already) but it was an interaction with a well-known football figure that certainly made me chuckle.

Jamesie
08-03-2017, 04:24 PM
I used to do some writing for hibs.net back in the day, covering match reports etc and I remember once going down to the Edinburgh Academy pitches to take in a pre-season bounce game (can't remember the opposition off hand) on a glorious summer's evening. I would have been about 23 at the time and Bobby Williamson was in charge. He had a couple of trialists playing.

I had a very old school point and shoot digital camera which I used to take a few snaps and Bobby spotted this and went ballistic, despite it being something like a 2 megapixel device. One of my most surreal moments was being chased across the playing fields by Bobby who clearly wanted the trialists' identities to remain top secret!

HAZ2000
08-03-2017, 04:27 PM
Patrick Vieira was great after coming off in Ian Murrays testimonial. Signed many autographs and spoke to a few of us who had went to get them pitch side. Same goes for Pat Stanton who was happy to chat to any fans who approached him. Saw Lee Dixon at a Sunderland v Chelsea game and he was happy to talk to a few of us after the game. (Although he did move away when he was spotted during the game. Which is fair as he was trying to work at the time) He was asking who we supported ect. Never had a bad experience with any player except Stokes who did ignore me during festival time. (Again probably justified as he was with his girlfriend and it was very busy uptown at that time of year. )

Hibee87
08-03-2017, 04:31 PM
Met Tam McManus in Espionage one evening, I am pretty sure we had just been pumped by Dundee Utd that afternoon.

He was about as rude and ignorant as you can get. Roaster.I met him outside Sighthill bowling club, sure he was sent off that for nothing. He was with another player but I cant for the life of me remember who, but was sound and had a wee kick about with us for 10 min or so before going to his part.

SirDavidsNapper
08-03-2017, 04:37 PM
Once met Willie Miller(ex Sheep) on the train heading back from Edinburgh after a game. This was later on so must have been doing media work. Put my hand out to shake his hand and he just sat there looking at me. Grade A prat.

EdinMike
08-03-2017, 04:38 PM

Medals helped coached my boys club as his laddie played in the same team. Tube of the highest order.

Keith_M
08-03-2017, 04:43 PM
One unfortunate exception was Kano in his plooky youth. I remember him one Saturday night in Gatsby's (I know, I know...) wearing a leather suit. He was a total dick with one of my mates who had the cheek to ask him the time. Kano gave it the "d'ye ken who I am" stuff (in fact, my mate didn't) and was all "f*** of ya dick". Pretty disappointing as he was one of my favourites at the time.

I used to go to away games on the Artisan bus and Kano was a regular at the time as well, and I have to agree with your assessment of him.

He hadn't even played for Hibs yet but he was already really full of himself.

Hiber-nation
08-03-2017, 04:54 PM
As for prat footballers haven't met any but my mate worked Hibs Hospitality for a few years circa McLeish and informed me Justin Skinner was a total £#@*. Mixu was the best and bought him a bottle of champagne once.

Funny that, I worked beside a Dunfermline fan who knew him really well when he played for them and he said he was an absolute gent.

We used to bump into Ralph Callachan a lot in the Bull & Bush in Lothian Road back in the day and he was a brilliant guy. Jackie Mac snr as well.

Jamesie
08-03-2017, 04:56 PM
Now there's a player who was more famous for his exploits out on the town or on the internet than the (one) time he played for us. Even more impressive that this was pre-Facebook and all we had was MSN.

Interested to note Grof is still playing in the Fourth Tier of the Bundesliga for AK Berliner!

magpie1892
08-03-2017, 05:14 PM
Have crossed paths with several hundred footballers when I was working full-time as a football reporter and I can confirm that while a post-Hibs Andy Goram was a total prat, he has nothing on one of the most unpleasant people I've ever met, in any walk of life, and someone I had the misfortune to have to interview not once but twice: Eyal Berkovic.

I'm used to getting a cool reception when I'm interviewing but Berkovic was a truly odious, ignorant, arrogant individual, hated by virtually all his team-mates at every club he played for.

Jack
08-03-2017, 05:18 PM
Late one evening in Marbella I was wandering home with 2 jambo pals when I spotted Mercer cutting a lonely figure walking towards us.

"There's Wallet Mercer" I said loudly to my friends.

We met up and they were all very chatty and gushing. When we moved on he flung the Hibbie a dirty look. The Hibbie burst out laughing at him!

GreensesArab
08-03-2017, 05:42 PM

I grew up with Trevor down in Berwick and we played for the same primary school team - Tweedmouth West. He was a Celtic fan and always had a Hoops top on. His elder brother, Gordon, was a Hibee.

at last 61
08-03-2017, 06:15 PM
Medals was probably the worst I've came across when he was taking over his dad's pub barley bree he told me I would have to deliver to him earlier giving me the do you know who I am well I told him yes I know who you are that's why I'm leaving you till late on . The trap door was just as you went into the front door so nobody could get in or out while you were delivering so I used to go out my way to get there about 1 o'clock his busy time he was raging writing this has brought a smile to my face as I remember his face

WoreTheGreen
08-03-2017, 06:20 PM
Medals was probably the worst I've came across when he was taking over his dad's pub barley bree he told me I would have to deliver to him earlier giving me the do you know who I am well I told him yes I know who you are that's why I'm leaving you till late on . The trap door was just as you went into the front door so nobody could get in or out while you were delivering so I used to go out my way to get there about 1 o'clock his busy time he was raging writing this has brought a smile to my face as I remember his face

Any gloves involved?

kaimendhibs
08-03-2017, 06:38 PM
I used to see Darren Dods out running quite often as he used to go passed where I lived. Came across as a really nice bloke, having stopped his morning jog to help me change a tyre on the car.

Not Hibs related, but former Scotland boss Craig Brown came in to do a speech at my sons school, and he was really good.

Met Ivan Sproule at Edinburgh Airport once. Asked him (while wearing my Hibs tshirt) if he'd have a photo with my son, and the lad couldn't have been more patient and nicer
Ivan sproule = total gent.

kaimendhibs
08-03-2017, 06:44 PM
Met Stubbsy and McCoist in the train one day. They were off to Murrayfield to do a charity thing, both pleasant and happy to chat.

where'stheslope
08-03-2017, 07:01 PM
Two other experiences of note...

one was Chris Robinson, worked his office at Hopetoun House... he wasn't there to start with and it was the normal run of the mill thing... working away and one of the office folk made us a coffee when they were having theirs, what a change when the Pieman arrived, one of the girls almost ran through and grabbed our mugs saying something along the lines of "he doesn't like us giving folks coffee or tea as you should be working when you're here".
To round it off he was an ignorant sod when he came through to talk to me about the job.... something along the lines of the work needed to be perfect and "left the way it is now" etc etc.... his face was a picture when I pointed out that the bit of work he was going on about was already done!

Not sure about the Pieman as I've never met him.

Wallace Mercer on the other hand, I would meet him every night in RS McColl's in Davidsons Mains collecting his Evening News.

He always had time for a chat and was only quiet if someone brought up the Hibs takeover and usually made a quick exit from the shop.

His ideas were wrong, but he at least gave us a chance to save ourselves, which our own board were not going to let us!

Most of the posters on here are relating to the celebrity, and not the person, if you meet a footballer and talk nothing but football they soon get fed up of talking about nothing else.

Put yourself in their shoes, having a pint in a bar and a total stranger comes up and acting like they know you, the first thing most of us would say is "do one"!!!

leithsansiro
08-03-2017, 07:09 PM
Ivan sproule = total gent.

Has always struck me as someone who feels genuinely privilidged to be getting paid to play football. Martin Boyle gives me the same vibe, guys who know that they don't necessarily have bags of talent but are determined to make everything count.

Swedish hibee
08-03-2017, 07:14 PM
Players perform on the field and do many things with fans in their own time.I find the idea that they should also have to interrupt what they are doing with family and friends at private times so that a total stranger can become best pal for a moment utterly bizarre.To then be criticised for being rude when it's the person interrupting who is is absolutely ludicrous.

Hibs players aren't Ronaldo or Messi with superstar status!! Not one person on here has said they interrupted a family meal in a restaurant or anything like that.

ColinNish
08-03-2017, 07:15 PM
If Stubbs had got us promoted he'd still be here.

😂😂😂 I really don't think so!!

ColinNish
08-03-2017, 07:16 PM
The Good:

Latapy
Dwight Yorke
Keith, Keith, Keith
Mickey Weir
Chris Jackson
Darren Jackson
Steven Tweed
Jim Leighton
Robbo
Dennis Wise
McLeish
Harry Potter
Grant Bremner
Ray Wilkins
Jimmy Boco
Gordon Hunter

The Bad:

Yogi Hughes
Shaun Dennis
Deeks
Barry Lavety
Andy Goram
Andy Dow

Would be interested to know why Andy Dow is on your bad list?

QMU-1875
08-03-2017, 07:16 PM
Don't doubt your story (and I know the two of them have been out in George at together before) but was surprised reading that. I used to know Danny quite well, though haven't spoke in a few years, and although he wasn't a great player for us by any stretch - I can't imagine him trying to scrap with anyone, ever!

met a few footballers over the years and although it's annoying when you get a bit of attitude off them.. we all have our moments. If I asked someone's opinion on a minute conversation or first impression of a lot of guys I hang about with.. I'm sure a swear word or two would be used :)

Could well be the case we caught him on a bad night, maybe steaming, all benn there I guess!

Mr White
08-03-2017, 07:17 PM

Wallace Mercer on the other hand, I would meet him every night in RS McColl's in Davidsons Mains collecting his Evening News.

He always had time for a chat and was only quiet if someone brought up the Hibs takeover and usually made a quick exit from the shop.

His ideas were wrong, but he at least gave us a chance to save ourselves, which our own board were not going to let us!

Most of the posters on here are relating to the celebrity, and not the person, if you meet a footballer and talk nothing but football they soon get fed up of talking about nothing else.

Put yourself in their shoes, having a pint in a bar and a total stranger comes up and acting like they know you, the first thing most of us would say is "do one"!!!

Aye what a hero. The failure of his greedy plan created an opportunity for honourable people to step in and get things back on track for the club but to give that horrible ******* any credit for it is frankly absurd.

bigwheel
08-03-2017, 07:37 PM

Is this you representing him as a "alright guy"....He tried to kill our club - that's what his idea was....there is nothing about his act that was helpful. Our community's reaction to it made the story a positive one, not his actions

heidtheba
08-03-2017, 07:39 PM
I've told this story a few times but I'll have another pop here (apologies to those who have read it before!).
I'm a teacher and took my class down to Tynecastle in October 98 to do some architectural drawing. It was close to the school and I had a contact in the shop. We got a nice guided tour of the place and then walked down the corridor past the changing rooms. The team had just finished something and were walking out and down the far end of the corridor. A few of them looked and just blanked the kids, many of whom were Hearts fans. David Weir? Not got many nice things to say about him and his expression towards my class. The kids weren't there to meet the players, but a few minutes with them would have made the kids day. Anyway, Steve Fulton comes out the changing room, sees us, walks up to us and then spends a long time signing every kids worksheet and talking to them all (very nicely) about life as a sports professional. I couldn't fault the guy, he was an absolute diamond.

My Mrs was offered a cab lift by Alex McLeish when she worked in Montpelliers, said he was a gentleman and very nice.

The guy who introduced me to football and Hibs always spoke really highly of Tommy McIntyre. I remember him looking appalled/hurt when Tommy had a few Hibs fans shouting 'off off off' when he got sent off in a cup game for Airdrie against us.

McD
08-03-2017, 08:04 PM
My brother used to coach youth football, when he wasn't much older himself (late teens).

He was once at Riccarton waiting in the reception area when the hearts players began to appear, leaving for the day. Phil stamp came down the stairs and noticing my brother's Hibs wristband, said something along the lines of 'get to **** out of here you hibby *******'

my brother replied 'away to **** you fat ginger tosser, you don't know the first thing about Edinburgh football'.

Apparently Michael Stewart was not far behind stamp, and was buckled laughing at stamp getting roasted by a laddie when he'd started it.

I've met John Robertson, when he came into my work once, was a chatty smiling gent.

I've also met several Scotland rugby players of various generations, who were all brilliant, except one, cammy Glasgow, who was a lying cheat which shattered the way I as a child looked up to high level sportsmen.

jabis
08-03-2017, 08:09 PM
I grew up with Trevor down in Berwick and we played for the same primary school team - Tweedmouth West. He was a Celtic fan and always had a Hoops top on. His elder brother, Gordon, was a Hibee.

That would explain it :aok:

stoneyburn hibs
08-03-2017, 08:51 PM
Met Mcliesh when he was our manager and he was a gent. As was John Collins whom I saw a few years ago walking along Princes Street with his missus.

Thread's a good read.

Is It On....
08-03-2017, 08:57 PM
Met Hugh Burns (ex zombies, diets) in Kavos in 1990 (I think). He wasn't too interested in the Hibees but quite like the banter from the Jambo's in the group. He was a bit p#ssed but my mate "Beastie" (named after George) eventually got him to wear a Hibs top for a photograph "dinnae tell the Daily Record lads"...

Mainstandman
08-03-2017, 09:11 PM
Steven Tweed once nearly ran me over. My fault, but he looked really apologetic, so I'm putting him on the Good Guy pile.
I can vouch for Steven , nice guy

itslegaltender
08-03-2017, 09:18 PM
Managed to get tickets for the PFA awards a few years back. Neale Cooper of Aberdeen was an absolute gent and we had a great chat about his career.

On the same night I ended up talking to The gaffer, Neil Lennon. He knew a mutual friend of mine and we chatted for a while. He was coaching the tic reserve team at the time. I think Yogi had just been emptied and I suggested he come to us as player manager. My argument was that he would never get the tic job after Strachan and he would be better coming to us as player manager first. He then said
"I can't do that big man, you lot hate me through there!"

steakbake
08-03-2017, 09:32 PM
Not Hibs related and can't really comment on whether they were prats or not:

Accidentally gatecrashed a birthday celebration one time at Cavios. Me and my mate were dressed in hired navy costumes having been at a sailor and mermaids party on that boat down at the Shore (can't remember what it was called). We walked past on the way home and the old boy who ran it invited us in for drinks thinking we were the real deal. Felt momentarily terrible, but we didn't take the piss and insisted on paying. Turns out it was Dave MacPherson's birthday bash. They were on the sambucas by the time we got there. There were quite a few footballers there - mostly Jambos and one or two Huns. I had no idea who they were but my mate was/is a massive Hearts fan and was in his element. Apart from that, I don't remember much. I was very.... very drunk at the time.

jgl07
08-03-2017, 09:33 PM
Willie Miller (of Hibs) turned up at a Hibs List social at the Percy in the mid-1990s. A nice approachable guy.

itslegaltender
08-03-2017, 09:35 PM
Double post

Brunswickbill
08-03-2017, 09:40 PM
Ally McCoist has drunk in my local for years, the one where Charlie Miller had some fisticuffs. He sometimes sits by himself doing a crossword but more often having a chat with friends. He has always had time for a chat, or a photo for fans. A really pleasant, genuine fella. Just a pity about the team he follows.

1two
08-03-2017, 09:45 PM
Opinions on some players I've met;

Nick Colgan - met him on a night out in Newcastle. He was out with his team mates ( a few years after his hibs days, can't remember the team). He was a little confused when I drunkenly approached him until I mentioned hibs and he couldn't be nicer.

Medals McKay - Prick

Robbo - really nice guy

Darren McGregor - hibs class, good guy

Kenny Miller - good guy

Lee Wallace - prick and a grass

Mathias Jack - unfortunately came across as a bit of an arrogant Dick (sorry)

Graham Stack - friendly guy

Mickey Weir - my first hibs hero and a good guy

Peter Cormack- met him at a smoker about 5 years ago. He was nice in that he was very approachable but he couldn't wait to talk about himself - which I suppose was the reason he was invited along

Santa Cruz
08-03-2017, 09:52 PM
I was in the Scotmid on Lindsay Road at about 7 tonight and Rod Petrie was in the queue with a basket. I stalked the purchase and he bought 4 ready meals, a roll of black bin bags and another couple of items but I couldn't see what they were

Just Alf
08-03-2017, 10:03 PM

I agree in general what yer saying about talking footy, I think we'd all be the same. RE these 2 guys though... they don't have that excuse! (In this case)

I've dealt with both on different occasions and everytime they came across as ignorant unmannerd individuals, with what you're saying about Wallace M maybe that was his business persona? (And to be fair maybe you do need to have a bit "steel" in your business persona to be sussessful which I guess he was?)

Can't remember who was in charge at the time but I remember sitting with Joe Jordan on his 1st day at the Yams and he was absolutely raging at the restrictions the Hearts board were putting on him... he was seriously considering walking away unless they changed how they oversaw his work, example was, he had to go via the MD's secretary EVERY time he wanted to phone someone (plus other stuff.. obviously all worked out as he didn't leave!)

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

gillythehibby
08-03-2017, 10:11 PM
I sat with Lenny last year at cheltenham races. Pre hibs job. I didny want to hassle him about football but we ended up chatting. Was really complimentary about the Hibs. Lets just say he wasn't overly impressed with the Other mob 😀 Was a really nice guy

superbam
08-03-2017, 10:32 PM
Met Craig Brewster and Matty Jack in a pub in stock bridge. Brewster was sound, Jack had less time for my shan chat and was singularly focused on his woman. Fair dues.
Bumped into Stokes a couple of times in Dublin, not really the stop and chat type but didn't seem arrogant or anything. His dad had plenty time for hibs fans during his first spell with us, always made us feel welcome in his now well-charred boozer.
Otherwise I've met Fontaine, who seems a decent sort, and fenlon post-hibs a couple of times, who despite it not ending well clearly has a deep affection for hibs.

Deansy
08-03-2017, 10:52 PM
Met Jim Holton in Italy at the 1990 World-cup - he would go along to the Scotland training-camp every day and tap the players for their freebie-tickets for the games, which Holton then bought back to Alassio (where we were staying) and hand them out to the Scotland-fans for free. He was an absolute gent !. Unlike 2 Dunfermline directors, staying in a 5-star hotel courtesy of the SFA - who asked a fan from Skye - who'd travelled by planes, trains and automobiles to get there (with his wife and 2 boys - one 6 the other 8) for £60 for their 3 FREEBIE tickets !. Needless to say we got escorted from the 5-star hotel very promptly when certain words were exchanged !

Kaff
08-03-2017, 11:04 PM
To speak up for ex Hun Gordon Smith, i was in a pub as a 18-19 yr old and he came in with a large group of Man City players and to be fair he was great. I spoke to him and mistook him for Derek Parlane, had a laugh when i then remembered 'Smith must score!' At this point a couple of his teammates asked if he wanted them to get rid of me but he said no he was having a good time so no problem.
Haven't been full of praise for much of his career choices and decisions but that night he was a good bloke.

Jonnyboy
08-03-2017, 11:06 PM
Met John Greig once. Total erse

ancient hibee
08-03-2017, 11:08 PM
Hibs players aren't Ronaldo or Messi with superstar status!! Not one person on here has said they interrupted a family meal in a restaurant or anything like that.

Nor did I so your point is what exactly? What's being a superstar got to do with it?

skankomcphee
08-03-2017, 11:22 PM

Met Kano in the Phoenix on Broughton Street one night through a mutual friend, during the John Collins era. He took exception to some of my criticisms of how we were playing at the time and was pretty obnoxious and in my face. Again, pretty disappointing.

skankomcphee
08-03-2017, 11:23 PM
Late one evening in Marbella I was wandering home with 2 jambo pals when I spotted Mercer cutting a lonely figure walking towards us.

"There's Wallet Mercer" I said loudly to my friends.

We met up and they were all very chatty and gushing. When we moved on he flung the Hibbie a dirty look. The Hibbie burst out laughing at him!

Heard a story that when Mercer was in hospital he asked someone else's visitor to go to the hospital shop to buy him the paper and handed over £20. He never saw the paper or his £20 again and was not best pleased.

Just Alf
08-03-2017, 11:32 PM
Heard a story that when Mercer was in hospital he asked someone else's visitor to go to the hospital shop to buy him the paper and handed over £20. He never saw the paper or his £20 again and was not best pleased.

Got say, Id be extremely hacked off as well!

Scott Allan Key
08-03-2017, 11:49 PM
I used to do some writing for hibs.net back in the day, covering match reports etc and I remember once going down to the Edinburgh Academy pitches to take in a pre-season bounce game (can't remember the opposition off hand) on a glorious summer's evening. I would have been about 23 at the time and Bobby Williamson was in charge. He had a couple of trialists playing.

I had a very old school point and shoot digital camera which I used to take a few snaps and Bobby spotted this and went ballistic, despite it being something like a 2 megapixel device. One of my most surreal moments was being chased across the playing fields by Bobby who clearly wanted the trialists' identities to remain top secret!

Well, thank God you DID reveal all, and Bobby Mann missed the Hibee boat!

Scouse Hibee
08-03-2017, 11:54 PM
Nearly all of the players or ex players I have ever met have always been pretty decent. The Rangers squad were regulars and Coisty, Durrant and Walter Smith were all sound and decent to talk to. Davie Weir was good to chat to and always had time to talk. Shola Ameobi up for a laugh and banter when he stayed. Diouff was an arrogant prick who thought he was gods gift.

Bostonhibby
09-03-2017, 12:15 AM
What a horrific specimen that individual was. Disgusting character.
Yep, my dad was in a fishing tackle shop and whilst the takeover attempt was going on a flash car rolled up and out popped Wally and another guy. He had been invited to do some fishing on an estate and wanted advice on the right gear to use.

After a bit of discussion Wally seemingly only wanted to HIRE the stuff. The guy in the shop told wally in no uncertain terms that he didn't like what he was trying to do to Hibs and in fact he didn't do hires and had decided not to sell him anything either!

My old man was right on the phone to tell us!

Scott Allan Key
09-03-2017, 12:23 AM
Used to be neighbours with Yogi, when owned the Ferret and Bootlace, while Falkirk manager. My first meeting with him got a terse response when I suggested he signed Latapy, who I think was languishing with Rangers ATT. 'Who's this wee s****?' (Not being a fitba folk). Yet, not long later, Latas was playing for Falkirk, and came into the pub with Dwight Yorke and Brian Lara for a sesh, at some point. I missed that, but take all the credit for that decision of Yogi

Met Alex Macdonald at Scotia Bar, Glasgow, typical Hun a***. Double loser. Needed no response.

Sandy Jardine on other hand, coached me as a Cub Scout while he was at Hearts. A Rangers legend, world class full back but humble and came over very well to all the kids.

I sold Keith Wright a Now Music cassette in a record shop in 1992. It was the one with the John McGinn song on it, coincidentally. He was very polite.

snooky
09-03-2017, 12:24 AM
Yep, my dad was in a fishing tackle shop and whilst the takeover attempt was going on a flash car rolled up and out popped Wally and another guy. He had been invited to do some fishing on an estate and wanted advice on the right gear to use.

After a bit of discussion Wally seemingly only wanted to HIRE the stuff. The guy in the shop told wally in no uncertain terms that he didn't like what he was trying to do to Hibs and in fact he didn't do hires and had decided not to sell him anything either!

"The quality of Mercer is snob trained" - William Shakespeare

tamig
09-03-2017, 12:33 AM

Good on the guy! Mercer had a big maroon Jag - XX10 was his number plate I'm sure. It made an appearance in my work's car park not long after the takeover had failed and I was sorely tempted to key the thing.

Buc
09-03-2017, 01:37 AM
Many years ago I was in Fingers bar and had had a couple of beers! It was the same night as a Tynecastle testimonial against Everton. When I was at the bar Robbo stood next to me. I'm 6ft6 so looked down on him and said "your a wee Hearts ******." He looked up and said "you'll be a hibee then" I laughed and then had a decent conversation with him which was much more than I deserved after my opening line. Robbo came across as a very decent guy. Stuart McCall was also there and I tried my best to get him to sign for Hibs if he ever came up north! He as well came over as a really nice guy but didn't listen to my advice😂

CyberSauzee
09-03-2017, 02:07 AM
A great thread this one.

Hijacked away from Hibs players, but who cares, some great stories.

Alan McLaren - saw him on the bus when I was going to work at Scottish Life and he was on his way to training at the Yams. We didn't say anything, but he knew who I was - the best junior in the whole of the life assurance business in Edinburgh. A nod and a wink from him was shunned by me. I have no regrets as I told Midge Ure a couple of weeks later in the Abbotsford. He got a #1 off that story.

Alan Curbishley - he accosted me about getting my royalties from Ure at Royal Ascot in 2004. I asked him if he was going to sign Riordan. He couldn't have been nicer at closing the door behind him to get away from me. Still, Charlton never got Riordan. One up for me. And where is Curbishley now on hibs.net? Two up for me.

Forza Fred
09-03-2017, 04:37 AM
This story illustrates possibly how some players appreciate what the fans do for them...

When Gordon Hunter left Hibs I was involved in helping get fixed up with Canberra Cosmos.

Met Geebsie at the airport, went to a couple of his games.

Fast forward a few years ago and Geebsie is long retired and driving taxis in Edinburgh

My brother...a lifelong Hibby....gets in his cab and naturally they start chatting fitba.

Near the Hawkhill destination Geebsie is amazed to hear he is my brother.....and because of this refuses to take his fare

And no, he never went halfers with me when we next caught up!

RMQ1967
09-03-2017, 04:47 AM
My local nightclub used to be Peebles in Troon. Richard Gough & Dave McPherson turned up one night (think they were out injured & Rangers had been training locally for some reason). The owner used to have the odd the odd “lock-in” and the guys stayed behind with a bunch of us mixed supporters. Gough was very decent – just one of the lads & shared some good stories & general football chat. McPherson was very full of himself & mistakenly seemed to think he was some kind of football god.
Anyway the conversation somehow got around to who had the biggest cock – my wee St. Mirren supporting pal bet Gough he had a bigger cock so they went into the toilets to compare – Gough walked out a few seconds later looking a little pale & shaking his head in disbelief - the wee Buddie walked out behind him jubilant with his arms in the air :thumbsup:

guidref
09-03-2017, 07:43 AM
have had the misfortune to encounter Lee Wallace when he was coaching Heriot Vale. Total welt of a person, had no respect for the opponents or officials.

Had a run in with Alan Combe at one point when he played for Dundee Utd. He hurt my wee laddie during a game ( a 1-0 win to us at Tannadice on Sauzee's birthday). refused to apologise then when I met him in Dundee acted the big hard man when he was with a crowd then hid behind some bouncers for the rest of the night. He needs to punted from Hibs a he is not "Hibs class".

JimBHibees
09-03-2017, 07:47 AM
have had the misfortune to encounter Lee Wallace when he was coaching Heriot Vale. Total welt of a person, had no respect for the opponents or officials.

Had a run in with Alan Combe at one point when he played for Dundee Utd. He hurt my wee laddie during a game ( a 1-0 win to us at Tannadice on Sauzee's birthday). refused to apologise then when I met him in Dundee acted the big hard man when he was with a crowd then hid behind some bouncers for the rest of the night. He needs to punted from Hibs a he is not "Hibs class".

How did he do that?

FilipinoHibs
09-03-2017, 07:49 AM
I met Keith Wright and his wife in summer of 1991 on Portobello beach with my wife and three young boys. My wife as young student had taught Keith's wife. We got chatting and went for coffee. Of course I could not hold it in that I was Hibs daft and over the moon he was coming. The boys and I had a ball and we went onto the beach with Keith. I played goalie as the boys crossed for Keith to head past me. He was a lovely guy as was his wife. Weeks later who would believe we would all be cheering him on as he helped take us back from oblivion.

Pete
09-03-2017, 07:51 AM
Some rather weird ones cropping up now.

Mr White
09-03-2017, 07:52 AM

We should sack our goalkeeping coach because you don't like him.

:hilarious

JimBHibees
09-03-2017, 07:58 AM
Many years ago I was in Fingers bar and had had a couple of beers! It was the same night as a Tynecastle testimonial against Everton. When I was at the bar Robbo stood next to me. I'm 6ft6 so looked down on him and said "your a wee Hearts ******." He looked up and said "you'll be a hibee then" I laughed and then had a decent conversation with him which was much more than I deserved after my opening line. Robbo came across as a very decent guy. Stuart McCall was also there and I tried my best to get him to sign for Hibs if he ever came up north! He as well came over as a really nice guy but didn't listen to my advice😂

I was there that night as me and a couple of mates had been playing football. We started talking to Peter Beagrie and he was absolutely brand new and invited us up to a lock in at the Ettrick hotel. Place was full of players and a cracking laugh with guys like McCall, Keown etc. Think it might have been medals testimonial.

Fisherrow Harp
09-03-2017, 09:06 AM
Met big Frank coming over the store bridge in Musselburgh. He'd just been getting his back sorted and looked in a good bit pain, he still had time to stop and chat, lovely bloke. As was Marc Libra, met him outside Jenners with his wife and family, seemed very appreciative that I tried to speak to him in French. Met Mixu and McLeish( and another one that escapes my memory at a lunch at standard life that I had won a raffle for. Both were great although I felt like a Hearts defender in the 6-2 game the way Mixu jostled ahead of me in the dinner queue 😂. Bumped into O'Conner in the Cube in Musselburgh, the week after he'd been knocking at my then gfs door. I went up to him and said "You're eh, You're eh Garry O'Conner" ( I tried to look kinda star struck) "I'm a season ticket holder and massive Hibs fan" he was pretty arrogant about until I said " You tried to steam into my gf last week" the look on his face was priceless! He then proceeded to try and buy me drink all night, dunno why as I am built like the gable end of a crisp, funny though! This was a couple of weeks after he got a slap from someone,for throwing his jersey on the ground after getting subbed early on against aberdeen. Ian Black sometimes comes into the ship, now accompaned with some sort of minder.

JimBHibees
09-03-2017, 09:15 AM
Met big Frank coming over the store bridge in Musselburgh. He'd just been getting his back sorted and looked in a good bit pain, he still had time to stop and chat, lovely bloke. As was Marc Libra, met him outside Jenners with his wife and family, seemed very appreciative that I tried to speak to him in French. Met Mixu and McLeish( and another one that escapes my memory at a lunch at standard life that I had won a raffle for. Both were great although I felt like a Hearts defender in the 6-2 game the way Mixu jostled ahead of me in the dinner queue 😂. Bumped into O'Conner in the Cube in Musselburgh, the week after he'd been knocking at my then gfs door. I went up to him and said "You're eh, You're eh Garry O'Conner" ( I tried to look kinda star struck) "I'm a season ticket holder and massive Hibs fan" he was pretty arrogant about until I said " You tried to steam into my gf last week" the look on his face was priceless! He then proceeded to try and buy me drink all night, dunno why as I am built like the gable end of a crisp, funny though! This was a couple of weeks after he got a slap from someone,for throwing his jersey on the ground after getting subbed early on against aberdeen. Ian Black sometimes comes into the ship, now accompaned with some sort of minder.

Really he is an average football player not Justin Bieber. :greengrin

Fisherrow Harp
09-03-2017, 09:17 AM
Really he is an average football player not Justin Bieber. :greengrin

I like Justin better 😀.

Bostonhibby
09-03-2017, 09:34 AM
I like Justin better 😀.
Aye but would you let him emulsion your ceiling? Blackie is your man.

Mind you I wouldn't go to any of his concerts.

Fisherrow Harp
09-03-2017, 09:38 AM

Ha!👍😂

Jamesie
09-03-2017, 09:43 AM
Willie Miller (of Hibs) turned up at a Hibs List social at the Percy in the mid-1990s. A nice approachable guy.

As did Chris Reid from memory - indeed I am sure Chris's brother was a member of the list. I still have photos from that day somewhere!

Bostonhibby
09-03-2017, 09:45 AM
Got say, Id be extremely hacked off as well!
I know, I'd have expected at least a £50 note from the seemingly well heeled chancer.

Dunbar Hibee
09-03-2017, 11:20 AM

I had a wee run in with Ian Black in a Dunbar boozer last year. I can confirm he is a wee *****bag.:greengrin

DstN75
09-03-2017, 11:39 AM
Ages ago I used to bet in the bookies at the foot of Dundas Street and Grant Brebner (often) and Matty Jack (less often) were regulars. Always found them pleasant guys, although put my foot in it once when I told Matthias how much i thought we were missing him, and he pointed at Brebner and said "yes, but Grant has been playing so well while I've been gone" - and indeed he had been used as an almost direct replacement.

Interviewed Keith Keith Keith once. He was pretty steady but helpful and nice. Also interviewed Jim Duffy and he was very charismatic, clearly popular and funny, bit of a lad.

Met McLeish racing at Ayr and thought he was a bit of an arse. Dressed in a very loud tartan suit and doing a lot of look-at-me shouting and showing off.

GOC used to come in my mate's bar a lot and she said he was quite sniffy. As it were.

Jambos: Friend of mine used to know Gary Locke and his wife. She thought they were awful. Money-obsessed and 'considerably richer than yow'. Father in law met Mercer a few times and thought he was a useless twat.

sleeping giant
09-03-2017, 11:42 AM
Good on the guy! Mercer had a big maroon Jag - XX10 was his number plate I'm sure. It made an appearance in my work's car park not long after the takeover had failed and I was sorely tempted to key the thing.

I stuck a hands off Hibs sticker on his windscreen when it was in McAndrews roseburn. Sure his reg was XX1.

Bostonhibby
09-03-2017, 12:20 PM
Bumped into Alex McLeish and his wife in Stratford upon Avon. Just after we'd sacked butcher. Chanced my arm and asked him if he'd be coming back to Hibs.

Stopped and spoke to us for a while. Said more likely he was off to Belgium but spoke fondly of us. Said he got great backing from the board and would like to go back one day.

They were on their way to lunch and got collared just after us by a wedding party outside a church wearing the Villa colours. He was actually being photographed with the grooms party when we went past. Decent guy if you put the now defunct Glasgow rangers thing aside.

Bostonhibby
09-03-2017, 12:23 PM
Once shouted something about his time at Hibs to Tam McManus when he was a sub warming up at the corner flag at Boston utd. No idea if he heard it but we were pretty close in a part empty stadium - he got off his mark quick😊

WeeRussell
09-03-2017, 12:24 PM
I had a wee run in with Ian Black in a Dunbar boozer last year. I can confirm he is a wee *****bag.:greengrin

Seconded.

WeeRussell
09-03-2017, 12:26 PM
Ages ago I used to bet in the bookies at the foot of Dundas Street and Grant Brebner (often) and Matty Jack (less often) were regulars. Always found them pleasant guys, although put my foot in it once when I told Matthias how much i thought we were missing him, and he pointed at Brebner and said "yes, but Grant has been playing so well while I've been gone" - and indeed he had been used as an almost direct replacement.

Interviewed Keith Keith Keith once. He was pretty steady but helpful and nice. Also interviewed Jim Duffy and he was very charismatic, clearly popular and funny, bit of a lad.

Met McLeish racing at Ayr and thought he was a bit of an arse. Dressed in a very loud tartan suit and doing a lot of look-at-me shouting and showing off.

GOC used to come in my mate's bar a lot and she said he was quite sniffy. As it were.

Jambos: Friend of mine used to know Gary Locke and his wife. She thought they were awful. Money-obsessed and 'considerably richer than yow'. Father in law met Mercer a few times and thought he was a useless twat.

One of my close pals is a jambo (yeah I know) and him and his auld man cannot stand Gary Locke!

Pat 0-7
09-03-2017, 12:57 PM
Met Willie Irvine (the first one) a few times through a mutual pal, a sound guy, had a pub on Rose St. I think?

Went along to a reserve game being played at Bathgate Thistle's ground and Super Joe T was at left back, he was happy to chat away to us before kick off at the side of the pitch.

Liam Craig happy to get a photo taken with my kids when he was in Smyths toy shop in Falkirk with his kids.

Smartie
09-03-2017, 01:04 PM
I stayed in Dundee for a while and my then girlfriend worked in the pub opposite the Queens hotel on the Perth Road.

The Dundee United players of that era were regulars in that pub and were seemingly a shower of obnoxious ar5eholes to the staff. The pub owner was a big United fan though and insisted that the pub staff do all they could to accommodate the players as they also put a fair bit of cash through the till, so there was a fir bit of leering and groping that would go on. The staff generally hated it when they were in.

One particular highlight was when Charlie Miller was in the pub and he got lucky with a girl he met in there. He only had his wife's credit card on him but it still didn't stop him getting a room at the hotel across the road and "entertaining" the lady over there for a while.

I remember meeting both Steven Tweed and Craig Brewster on separate occasions in the old "Mardi Gras" nightclub and both were totally sound.

Peevemor
09-03-2017, 01:05 PM
Met Willie Irvine (the first one) a few times through a mutual pal, a sound guy, had a pub on Rose St. I think?

Went along to a reserve game being played at Bathgate Thistle's ground and Super Joe T was at left back, he was happy to chat away to us before kick off at the side of the pitch.

Liam Craig happy to get a photo taken with my kids when he was in Smyths toy shop in Falkirk with his kids.

It was called the Blythe Spirit - I used to pop in now and again when he had it. He was always smiley and chatty enough but never in your face - ideal for a pub landlord.

guidref
09-03-2017, 01:10 PM
How did he do that?

he booted his water bottle into the hibs fans and it hit my son covering him in something like lucozade. I sent a few sweary words in his direction, he told me to F off back to Edinburgh, when I told him I stayed local (was living in carnoustie at the time) his face changed,,

A coward of the highest order,

guidref
09-03-2017, 01:14 PM
We should sack our goalkeeping coach because you don't like him.

:hilarious

yes as he is a total fud!!!!

09-03-2017, 01:44 PM
Just seen the posts about Kano and have to agree. Met him a few times and never came across nasty in any way to me but certainly a character that is very full of himself and did at times come across as a bit arrogant.

Met Fenlon outside hampden before the SC final last year. Lovely, lovely guy.

09-03-2017, 01:49 PM

One of my pals told me years ago Black turned up at a party he was at. Said within no time at all Black was giving it the hard man act and ended up in a bit of a scuffle (to which Black came off worst). Pretty much how he was on the football pitch, strut around thinking he's a big tough guy but a horrible wee coward really. Arrogant wee prick as well, not a nice character at all.

Mr White
09-03-2017, 04:32 PM
yes as he is a total fud!!!!

Right. So you had a bad experience meeting him nearly 20 years ago and that's more important than the job he's currently doing (very well by all accounts) with 2 of the more reliable goalkeepers we've had in recent years. Let's hope George & Leeann agree with you and he's clearing out his gloves by the end of the week eh :greengrin

silverhibee
09-03-2017, 05:19 PM
he booted his water bottle into the hibs fans and it hit my son covering him in something like lucozade. I sent a few sweary words in his direction, he told me to F off back to Edinburgh, when I told him I stayed local (was living in carnoustie at the time) his face changed,,

Seems a decent guy, seen him at plenty away games over the years sitting with the Hibs fans.

Ayrshire Hibee
09-03-2017, 05:31 PM
I used to nip into amusement arcade in Killie after work on a Friday night killing time before my bus home & Billy Findlay was in there playing fruit machines with his bored onlooking burd.....he used to talk to me about Hibs but would give me a handful of tokens to get me away :greengrin remember telling him the huns had signed Terry Hurlock and was going straight into the team the next day against us (think we won 2-0) & his face dropped.....think he had faced him the week before at Millwall in that friendly!

Was on holiday in Loret De Mar in 96 and Brian Rice was staying in same hotel as us.....seemed a nice guy for having his name sung from our balcony every time we saw him:greengrin

Russell Latapy used to drink in Juction Bridge bar (i stayed ferry road around the corner) Mick Galloways ex wife owned at the time. he never said much just smoked cigars and drank bud while watching Garry McCormack (Larry in Acicd House) belt out songs on Karaoke.

Bumped into Alex McLeish on a works night out up Lothian Road and chatted to him for a good 20 mins....we had just been beaten 2-0 in Perth and Latapy had been dropped...he said Russell would be lucky to feature again unless he sorted his attitude out. Alex was a top bloke & signed an autograph for me after my girlfriend at the time had asked in her work one day.

Spoke to Eddie May one day at work (he was at Well at the time) spoke highly of Hibs and seemed a good bloke.

While waiting on bags at East Midlands Airport i approched Kenny Miller and said that you just back from a weekend trying to sign for the Huns? It never went down too well and when i said i used to love watching you score for Hibs........he said "that was a long time ago" asked if he enjoyed a trip to Prague (Friendly beat 3-1) the month before and he just sounded a bit off with me.... looks like i upset him with the Hun comment:na na:

Was a hospitality a few years ago and we had Pat Stanton at our table for the whole day and was a complete gentleman & the stories he told were superb.

I had a run in with Gary Locke in a pub called Brandys loanhead around the mid to late 90s.......myself and my Jambo supporting mate had to leave as he had about 15 guys hanging on his every word......came accross as a total PRAT

My same Jambo mate worked in a Tile store and Grant Murray tried to skip the Q to get served by saying "You know who i am?" my mate knowing full well who was said NO :not worth:not worth

marinello59
09-03-2017, 05:32 PM

So basically the only thing he did wrong (apart from the accidental launching of the bottle) was to respond to your aggression with a good old fashioned F off. Looks like honours even to me.

DavidDavidGray
09-03-2017, 06:03 PM
Darren McGregor is by far and away the nicest football player I've ever met. Was willing to get pictures and had quite a good chat after the cup final about the run, the match and Hendo. Absolute gentleman

YehButNoBut
09-03-2017, 09:07 PM
My ex brother in law was a keeper for Hearts in the 70's & 80's, used to go drinking with him a lot and met a lot of the Hearts squad at the time.

Met Walter Kidd & Chris Robertson many times who were both good guys.

Remember once during the summer meeting most of the Hearts team at the time for a kick about on the Meadows, they knew I was a Hibby but didn't care.

Also had a memorable session with Willie Johnston & Peter Marinello, who were both good guys and Willie had some great stories to tell.

Played 5 a sides a few times with Scott Nisbet when he was at Rangers, good guy to.

Met Peter Marinello again just over a year ago at a family wedding, had some good stories to tell from his time at Hibs and was very friendly.

skedders
09-03-2017, 09:53 PM
I remember meeting both Steven Tweed and Craig Brewster on separate occasions in the old "Mardi Gras" nightclub and both were totally sound.

Also met Craig Brewster in Mardi when he was playing in Greece. He was a top man! Told him he should come back to Scotland and sign for hibs. I'm claiming asigning assist there 😂

Alex Trager
09-03-2017, 10:00 PM

Pre or post Scottish cup win?

I am praying it is post.

I'd like that

magpie1892
09-03-2017, 10:20 PM

XX1

Mate of mine pissed all over it one night when it was parked outside Cosmo on N.Castle Street when we'd been at The Cambridge.

ancient hibee
09-03-2017, 10:36 PM
I left school and started wok at the bank where Hearts had their account.One day I was sent out to Sighthill to collect overdue loan instalments.Tommy Walker had been in to arrange something and asked me where I was going and then offered me a lift in his jag.We had a good chat on the way out,he was going home to Corstorphine,so a bit out of his way.He waited at the first prefab until somebody came out made sure I wasn't getting into bother and drove off.A great guy.

Forza Fred
09-03-2017, 10:44 PM
My ex brother in law was a keeper for Hearts in the 70's & 80's, used to go drinking with him a lot and met a lot of the Hearts squad at the time.

Met Walter Kidd & Chris Robertson many times who were both good guys.

Remember once during the summer meeting most of the Hearts team at the time for a kick about on the Meadows, they knew I was a Hibby but didn't care.

Also had a memorable session with Willie Johnston & Peter Marinello, who were both good guys and Willie had some great stories to tell.

Played 5 a sides a few times with Scott Nisbet when he was at Rangers, good guy to.

Met Peter Marinello again just over a year ago at a family wedding, had some good stories to tell from his time at Hibs and was very friendly.

I met Walter Kidd in the salubrious establishment known as Mitchell's in Gilmerton when back for the cup final in 2013.

Couple of guys I was with tried to wind him up, but he was fine, and shrugged and laughed it off, and was a gentleman it must be said.

Alex Trager
09-03-2017, 10:58 PM
Just seen the posts about Kano and have to agree. Met him a few times and never came across nasty in any way to me but certainly a character that is very full of himself and did at times come across as a bit arrogant.

Met Fenlon outside hampden before the SC final last year. Lovely, lovely guy.

The very fact he was there is tremendous.

He was there. We were there. I was there. You were there

green day
10-03-2017, 06:53 AM
I met Walter Kidd in the salubrious establishment known as Mitchell's in Gilmerton when back for the cup final in 2013.

Couple of guys I was with tried to wind him up, but he was fine, and shrugged and laughed it off, and was a gentleman it must be said.

I grew up in Gilmerton. Mitchell's was where I bought a half bottle of Smirnoff for me and the boys as a cairrie oot at the advanced age of 13!!!

Still classier than The Dykes across the road where you could buy dope in the bogs.

Walter Kidd was a wee bit of a local "celeb" when I grew up, never an erse, always a nice humble guy who stayed close to his roots. His brother was a postie in Fernieside/Moredun - was famous for having only 4 fingers on one hand if I recall.

Peevemor
10-03-2017, 07:22 AM

I grew up in Gilmerton. Mitchell's was where I bought a half bottle of Smirnoff for me and the boys as a cairrie oot at the advanced age of 13!!!

Still classier than The Dykes across the road where you could buy dope in the bogs.

Walter Kidd was a wee bit of a local "celeb" when I grew up, never an erse, always a nice humble guy who stayed close to his roots. His brother was a postie in Fernieside/Moredun - was famous for having only 4 fingers on one hand if I recall.

In the mid and late 80s I used to drink regularly upstairs in the Conan Doyle. There were a good few Friday nights (ie. when there were matches the following day), that Walter Kidd would come in, stand at the bar alone and kneck 3-4 pints. I've always found that a bit weird!

guidref
10-03-2017, 07:28 AM
So basically the only thing he did wrong (apart from the accidental launching of the bottle) was to respond to your aggression with a good old fashioned F off. Looks like honours even to me.

nO it wasn't, he had a wee boy crying and juts laughed at it.

He then had the opportunity to apologise in person after a formal complaint was made by the police to the club and chose not to. Then when I bumped into him he acted the big hard man then ran away.

So the situation is not just 1 incident, its a series on ncidents where he , in my opinon, deserves to be in this thread as he is, in my opinion, the definition of a prat.

Mr White
10-03-2017, 07:42 AM

He then had the opportunity to apologise in person after a formal complaint was made by the police to the club and chose not to. Then when I bumped into him he acted the big hard man then ran away.

So the situation is not just 1 incident, its a series on ncidents where he , in my opinon, deserves to be in this thread as he is, in my opinion, the definition of a prat.
Fair enough. Bit of a leap from that to wanting the man sacked in my opinion, especially as that would be to the detriment of our club. What year was this btw, about 2000/2001?

Craigyno1
10-03-2017, 08:44 AM
I know Scott very well and a nicer guy you could not meet.

Hiber-nation
10-03-2017, 08:51 AM
In the mid and late 80s I used to drink regularly upstairs in the Conan Doyle. There were a good few Friday nights (ie. when there were matches the following day), that Walter Kidd would come in, stand at the bar alone and kneck 3-4 pints. I've always found that a bit weird!

On occasion with my jambo mate Bill in tow, trying unsuccessfully to cadge a pint off him! Bill used to tell Walter he was the best full back in Scotland but Walter was having none of it.

WeeRussell
10-03-2017, 12:16 PM

Out of interest, what were you doing while he was acting the hard man and being a coward? Did you approach him calmly and explain politely that he had upset you previously?

guidref
10-03-2017, 12:40 PM
Out of interest, what were you doing while he was acting the hard man and being a coward? Did you approach him calmly and explain politely that he had upset you previously?

I literally bumped into him in the street when he was with a crowd and I was on my own. He knew who I was straight away as this was maybe the 4th time we had met. He was acting up in front of his colleagues saying things along the line of "be careful he gets angry if youo spill someting on him".

Bumped into him again onwhen he was on his own and he ran into Brannigans and told the bouncers on the door I was going to assault him.

In my opinion he is a classless individual. maybe he has changed as he has gotten older, I know I have. Still think hes a prat though!

Oscar T Grouch
10-03-2017, 12:49 PM

I used to work with Stevens wife no long before he left for Greece, they were both really nice people and Steven was always willing to talk about football.