PDA

View Full Version : NHC Champions League..BT extension

cabbageandribs1875
06-03-2017, 12:53 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39177581

BT Sport has extended its TV rights for the Champions League and Europa League until 2021 in a deal worth £1.2bn.

But it said it would make clips, weekly highlights, and both finals available to watch for free on social media.

how long before BT buy the rights to the European Championships etc :rolleyes:

hibee-boys
06-03-2017, 12:59 PM
Crazy money, must be some value in it for then. Don't have BT sport and I can't say I've missed the champion league games. I'll obviously consider signing up when hibs qualify!;)

NAE NOOKIE
06-03-2017, 01:11 PM
Cornered live coverage and highlights .... good, another nail in the Champions league coffin, lets see how the sponsors react when they see the viewing figures, they pay through the nose to get wide coverage which I doubt will be the case when this deal kicks in.

As for the European Championships, AFAIK that is one of the sporting events protected by government legislation.

MWHIBBIES
06-03-2017, 01:20 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39177581

BT Sport has extended its TV rights for the Champions League and Europa League until 2021 in a deal worth £1.2bn.

But it said it would make clips, weekly highlights, and both finals available to watch for free on social media.

how long before BT buy the rights to the European Championships etc :rolleyes:

Those tournaments are on council tv by law, Champions league isnt.

Just Alf
06-03-2017, 01:29 PM
Cornered live coverage and highlights .... good, another nail in the Champions league coffin, lets see how the sponsors react when they see the viewing figures, they pay through the nose to get wide coverage which I doubt will be the case when this deal kicks in.

As for the European Championships, AFAIK that is one of the sporting events protected by government legislation.
Thing is though coverage wise, they are significantly cheaper for commercial premises than SKY hence the reason so many pubs have BT sport and no SKY sports at all :-/

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

LaMotta
06-03-2017, 01:48 PM
BT sport coming along was great for the football clubs but disastrous for the general public, as the bidding war between SKY and BT means silly money contracts to get the rights, and therefore higher costs for subscribers.

hfc rd
06-03-2017, 03:07 PM
I've actually gone off watching Champions League football ever since BT got the rights. I had BT sport for about a year but I got rid of it a while ago because it's over priced and the coverage is dog s***. Back when ITV had the CL rights I could just sit down and enjoy any CL game that was on. Now I have to watch on my PC via reddit soccer streams. It's just not the same without ITV. Even Sky covered Champions League better than BT and at least that was a shared thing with ITV.

Big_Franck
06-03-2017, 03:13 PM
They are also now admitting the top 4 teams from Spain, Italy, England and Germany straight to the group stages. It's becoming even more of an elite club, with that decision meaning there are even less spaces available for qualifiers from smaller nations.

cabbageandribs1875
06-03-2017, 07:49 PM
Those tournaments are on council tv by law, Champions league isnt.

i was sure the CL final was one of those 'protected' events, obviously not, i can't even remember the last CL game i watched to be honest

Bishop Hibee
06-03-2017, 08:09 PM
I'm surprised they paid so much. I'm a longstanding customer with Virgin Media and was phoned last week offering BT Sport free for 6 months if I agreed to sign up for another year. I took up the offer but I've no intention of keeping it on. Most people either have an app, a website or a tv plug-in that they can get games for nothing.

More money to the already loaded elite clubs though.

Malthibby
06-03-2017, 08:12 PM
Insanity, & part of the reason footie's in trouble.
Stopped watching CL & English football some time back for all the difference it makes, my wee rage against the machine.
GG

jdships
06-03-2017, 08:52 PM
BT sport coming along was great for the football clubs but disastrous for the general public, as the bidding war between SKY and BT means silly money contracts to get the rights, and therefore higher costs for subscribers.

Have had " BT Sport" since it started @ £5.00 a month
Cost hasn't gone up and I get coverage of various sports
Good value for money IMO :greengrin

DavieRoy
07-03-2017, 08:03 AM
I rarely watch the Champions League now. I think BT do okay but the prices keep going up. They made a big thing about free BT Sport initially, all rubbish now they are paying fortunes for rights.

They do a decent job in Scotland but I think they do a better job at telling people they are good rather than being as good as they say. Some of it is all noise.

Sky needed competition and they have got it but in terms of Scotland, like them or loath them, you still get much more from Sky.

Jones28
07-03-2017, 08:08 AM
What's the point in the champions league anymore? No club outside the top 5 leagues stands a chance in it so why do we bother?

I couldn't believe the proposals from the summer to make the champions league exclusive to the big 5 leagues and was totally against but now they might as well. It would give the smaller leagues a chance to win something tangible rather than get put out in the 3rd round play offs.

I didn't watch the champions league even when it was free and have no intention of signing up to do so. They can ram it.

DavieRoy
07-03-2017, 08:34 AM
The viewing figures have been dropping. BT have few subscribers, so they would drop but in Sly's last season, they dropped too. Which shows you, the competition is stale.

Tough one though, making it a closed shop is boring but having more canon fodder in it is not something I want to watch either.

NYHibby
07-03-2017, 09:07 AM

It's an Ofcom regulation. https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0029/35948/ofcom_code_on_sport.pdf

UK Listed Sporting Events
GROUP A
The Olympic Games
The FIFA World Cup Finals Tournament
The FA Cup Final
The Scottish FA Cup Final (in Scotland)
The Grand National
The Derby
The Wimbledon Tennis Finals
The European Football Championship Finals Tournament
The Rugby League Challenge Cup Final
The Rugby World Cup Final

GROUP B (Minimum of the greater of edited highlights of 10% of the event or 30 minutes Plus live radio commentary)
Cricket Test Matches played in England
Non-Finals play in the Wimbledon Tournament
All Other Matches in the Rugby World Cup Finals Tournament
Six Nations Rugby Tournament Matches Involving Home Countries
The Commonwealth Games
The World Athletics Championship
The Cricket World Cup - the Final, Semi-finals and Matches Involving Home Nations’ Teams
The Ryder Cup
The Open Golf Championship

lord bunberry
07-03-2017, 10:08 AM
I couldn't tell you the last time I watched a champions league game, I find the whole thing a massive turn off. It's the same rich clubs playing each other every year, with no chance of anyone else being able to join the party. It's a shame because I used to love the old European cup and the UEFA cup and cup winners cup were brilliant competitions as well.

greenpaper55
07-03-2017, 10:15 AM
Virgin deal with BT sport is great value and none of the cash is going to old Rupert Murdoch. Been some great games on recently, Man City v PSG just one of them.

Ozyhibby
07-03-2017, 10:21 AM
£35 for an Amazon firestick. Ten mins installing kodi and every sports channel can be watched for free. Why would anyone subscribe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk