PDA

View Full Version : Scottish Cup bookings

JimBHibees
06-03-2017, 10:33 AM
Semi final players in danger of missing final with another yellow.

Hibs - McGinn, Shinnie, Forster
Aberdeen - Jack
Celtic - Lustig, Bitton
Rangers - Tavernier, Garner

On another note I see Fyvie is out of the Dumbarton home game.

Sir David Gray
06-03-2017, 10:39 AM
Losing McGinn would be a disaster.

stantonhibby
06-03-2017, 10:45 AM

Yep

Time For Heroes
06-03-2017, 10:49 AM

Aberdeen - Jack
Celtic - Lustig, Bitton

Id love Hibs to player against Tavernier again :greengrin
Doubt he will get booked against Celtic, he is still in Stokes's pocket

Ryan91
06-03-2017, 11:06 AM

Watch him get booked for nowt in the Semi now

oneone73
06-03-2017, 11:25 AM

Aberdeen - Jack
Celtic - Lustig, Bitton

Hasn't that rule been changed? I thought you got an extra life, so to speak, if you made it to the semis? Or did I imagine that?

danhibees1875
06-03-2017, 11:42 AM
Hasn't that rule been changed? I thought you got an extra life, so to speak, if you made it to the semis? Or did I imagine that?

That would make sense - but sense is no indicator of that being the case. It's unbelievably harsh that 2 bookings across 4 games (more when replays are involved) could rule you out of a final - so I hope you are right.

As said above, losing McGinn or facing Rangers without Tavernier to help us would be disasters should we reach the final.

jonny
06-03-2017, 11:44 AM

I'm sure I heard that as well. Booking points reset before the semi so only a ban from a red would result in someone missing the final.

Newry Hibs
06-03-2017, 11:44 AM
Hasn't that rule been changed? I thought you got an extra life, so to speak, if you made it to the semis? Or did I imagine that? Something was brought in for the World Cup (Maybe Euros as well). Don't know about domestic cups.

JimBHibees
06-03-2017, 11:52 AM

Not sure it has certainly Ball was banned from last seasons final after a second yellow in the semi final. Commentator in the Aberdeen Jags game mentioned Ryan Jack as being a booking away from missing a game. It does seem harsh to miss on a second yellow especially when some teams can play replays as well.

NadeAteMyLunch!
06-03-2017, 09:16 PM
A player should never miss a final as a result of two bookings. Appalling rule

NORTHERNHIBBY
07-03-2017, 09:51 AM
Any chance that we can wait to see the result of the semi final first?

Alex Trager
07-03-2017, 09:52 AM

Aberdeen - Jack
Celtic - Lustig, Bitton

That is not good regards mcginn

JimBHibees
07-03-2017, 09:54 AM
Any chance that we can wait to see the result of the semi final first?

Thats why I listed all four semi finalists.

NORTHERNHIBBY
07-03-2017, 11:44 AM
Thats why I listed all four semi finalists.

Players can't hem in their performances based on a theoretical game though?

wookie70
07-03-2017, 01:22 PM
David Gray was in the same position last year, that worked out ok.

Eyrie
07-03-2017, 08:14 PM
A player should never miss a final as a result of two bookings. Appalling rule

Why only finals? Why not semis? Or any other game?

Players get booked for breaking the rules, so there has to be some sanction. A player who is one booking away from missing a final has the option to be more careful when making a challenge to minimise his risk of missing out.

Sir David Gray
07-03-2017, 08:31 PM

Players get booked for breaking the rules, so there has to be some sanction. A player who is one booking away from missing a final has the option to be more careful when making a challenge to minimise his risk of missing out.

It's ridiculous that two bookings in five matches will see you miss a Scottish Cup final.

Billy Whizz
07-03-2017, 08:32 PM
It's ridiculous that two bookings in five matches will see you miss a Scottish Cup final.

Replays should come into it

Eyrie
07-03-2017, 08:45 PM

Is it ridiculous that a player who manages to get two yellow cards in such a small number of games has to miss out? Should all bans be held back until playing a lower league team in an early round the next season?

If Dembele was in that situation we'd be delighted that he'd miss the final.

Sir David Gray
07-03-2017, 08:54 PM
Is it ridiculous that a player who manages to get two yellow cards in such a small number of games has to miss out? Should all bans be held back until playing a lower league team in an early round the next season?

Of course we would but I still don't think it would be right.

The only reason a player should be suspended for a final is for receiving a straight red card in a semi final or potentially earlier in the tournament if the red card was for something which carried a multiple match ban.

NadeAteMyLunch!
07-03-2017, 10:26 PM

Because a final is far more special than a semi final or 'any other game'. It might be the only time in a players career that they get the opportunity to play in such a game and they shouldn't miss it for two yellow cards over a number of games imo.

Even more flawed in a season like ours last year when we had two replays as well. An amnesty after the semi's would even itself out for all teams so nobody would be gaining an advantage. Would mean the best players possible playing in any showcase final as well.

HoboHarry
08-03-2017, 03:32 AM
Because a final is far more special than a semi final or 'any other game'. It might be the only time in a players career that they get the opportunity to play in such a game and they shouldn't miss it for two yellow cards over a number of games imo.

Even more flawed in a season like ours last year when we had two replays as well. An amnesty after the semi's would even itself out for all teams so nobody would be gaining an advantage. Would mean the best players possible playing in any showcase final as well.
Showcase is the important term here - the cup final is the showpiece event of the season and the fans are also entitled to see the best players available for that season finale. There should be a cut off for every team in the semi ensuring that only players red-carded during the semi can miss the final. As like many other rules still in existence, it is antiquated and should have been launched a long time ago.

NadeAteMyLunch!
08-03-2017, 05:26 AM
Showcase is the important term here - the cup final is the showpiece event of the season and the fans are also entitled to see the best players available for that season finale. There should be a cut off for every team in the semi ensuring that only players red-carded during the semi can miss the final. As like many other rules still in existence, it is antiquated and should have been launched a long time ago.

Correct. Scotland will eventually catch up with the rest of the world and change the rule, at some point [emoji849]

hibbysam
08-03-2017, 08:01 AM

7 games is not a 'small number' to receive two bookings when they are cup games and people are putting everything on the line to ensure they get through.