PDA

View Full Version : The People's Semi Versus The Bigots Semi

Dashing Bob S
05-03-2017, 06:00 PM
Aberdeen will justifiably be the firm favourites, but if we raise our game and compete they are beatable. They are a better side than us, but not by that much.

It would be great if all Hibs and Dons fans made and effort to go and support two real clubs, representing two proper bricks-and-motar communities, not the fantasy head-space of sad case bigots and glory hunters.

Mibbes Aye
05-03-2017, 06:05 PM
Aberdeen will justifiably be the firm favourites, but if we raise our game and compete they are beatable. They are a better side than us, but not by that much.

It would be great if all Hibs and Dons fans made and effort to go and support two real clubs, representing two proper bricks-and-motar communities, not the fantasy head-space of sad case bigots and glory hunters.

I grew up with Aberdeen being a dominant force in Scotland and winning European trophies. I've always relished our games against them.

They have a committed support but so do we, and in greater numbers. I hope we show it at Hampden,similar to how we were back in May.

Glory Lurker
05-03-2017, 06:11 PM
Can't stand Aberdeen. They are probably a "real club" in Aberdeen itself, but the central belt is full of forty-something glory hunters that ignored their local team in favour of Fergie's lot. Kevin keegan style, I would love it if we kept up our good cup run against them and left them trophyless for yet another year.

SuperAllyMcleod
05-03-2017, 06:19 PM
Can't stand Aberdeen. They are probably a "real club" in Aberdeen itself, but the central belt is full of forty-something glory hunters that ignored their local team in favour of Fergie's lot. Kevin keegan style, I would love it if we kept up our good cup run against them and left them trophyless for yet another year.

The only problem with quoting KK is that they didn't - Utd won the league.

Hibbyradge
05-03-2017, 06:26 PM
It's a delicious thing that the fans most upset about the draw support Sevco and Hearts. :hilarious

Glory Lurker
05-03-2017, 06:28 PM
The only problem with quoting KK is that they didn't - Utd won the league.

And to Fergie, too!! Ha ha ha! Maybe should have thought about that more. Would it be okay if I just quote myself saying it? :greengrin

NAE NOOKIE
05-03-2017, 07:02 PM
It might be 'the peoples' semi ...... but as usual the 'people' who will matter most are the ones watching it on the telly, not the poor saps forced oot their beds at stupid o'clock in the morning to actually attend the bloody game :grr:

houstonhibbee
05-03-2017, 07:06 PM
Must say compared to rangers vileness and Celtics smugness I would take Aberdeen every time. loved it when they hammered rangers time after time in the 80's under Fergie

Glory Lurker
05-03-2017, 07:44 PM
Must say compared to rangers vileness and Celtics smugness I would take Aberdeen every time. loved it when they hammered rangers time after time in the 80's under Fergie

Yeah, very fair point.

Green_one
05-03-2017, 07:52 PM

Yip plus some if their stuff when "Rangers" went into 3rd div was really funny

Halifaxhibby
05-03-2017, 07:54 PM
will our game be on the sunday guys?

Albanian Hibs
05-03-2017, 07:56 PM

Prob the saturday

silverhibee
05-03-2017, 08:03 PM

Hopefully.

CathroMustStay
05-03-2017, 08:03 PM
I assume you don't literally think the vast majority of Celtic and Sevco supporters are bigots, because that in itself would be... a bigoted and unsubstantiated opinion.

Don't get me wrong, I ****ing hate the 'old firm'. And yeah I'd estimate that Sevco are proportionately the support with the most bigots in Scottish football, followed a bit back by Celtic then the yams etc

But this whole holier-than-thou Embra attitude that implies we don't have bigotry in the East Coast and Glasgow is full of bigots is just a lazy and cretinous stereotype.

cabbageandribs1875
05-03-2017, 08:07 PM
oh well, that's that then :(

JackLadd
05-03-2017, 08:13 PM
I hope we get The Peepul in the final.

500miles
05-03-2017, 08:14 PM
I assume you don't literally think the vast majority of Celtic and Sevco supporters are bigots, because that in itself would be... a bigoted and unsubstantiated opinion.

Don't get me wrong, I ****ing hate the 'old firm'. And yeah I'd estimate that Sevco are proportionately the support with the most bigots in Scottish football, followed a bit back by Celtic then the yams etc

But this whole holier-than-thou Embra attitude that implies we don't have bigotry in the East Coast and Glasgow is full of bigots is just a lazy and cretinous stereotype.

It's almost as if you've never heard the Hun away support. It's definitely not a minority that are up to their knees.

BullsCloseHibs
05-03-2017, 08:14 PM
Celtic v Sevco THREE more times before season finishes. .....what a thought!

Pete
05-03-2017, 08:16 PM

I agree that it's not a Glasgow thing. It's an old firm thing, two clubs that attract bigots from all over the country.

bingo70
05-03-2017, 08:24 PM
Aberdeen were terrible today against Partick.

They're favourites, no doubt but we've definitely got a really good chance.

Is It On....
05-03-2017, 08:25 PM
I always felt that Edinburgh football was more about where you lived rather than what school you went to. My experience was that most of those who wanted to play the biggot card were drawn to follow Celtic and Oldco.

Mr White
05-03-2017, 09:43 PM
They've got some quality players no doubt. If Rooney, N McGinn, Hayes & G Shinnie are on form it'll be tough but on our day we can match them, I feel pretty confident about that.

Billy Whizz
05-03-2017, 09:57 PM
They've got some quality players no doubt. If Rooney, N McGinn, Hayes & G Shinnie are on form it'll be tough but on our day we can match them, I feel pretty confident about that.

They are a big physical team, need to match this

1van Sprou7e
05-03-2017, 10:04 PM
They are a big physical team, need to match this

Bartley already a shoo-in for man of the match :greengrin

silverhibee
05-03-2017, 10:10 PM

My money is on the baby crew.

SI should be sponsors for our game.

--------
05-03-2017, 10:43 PM
I always felt that Edinburgh football was more about where you lived rather than what school you went to. My experience was that most of those who wanted to play the bigot card were drawn to follow Celtic and Oldco.

There have always been those in Edinburgh who support Hibs for reasons connected with their ethnic or religious background/identity - people who worship in the Roman Catholic Church, people whose family background is Irish, Polish, Italian, for example.

This, of course doesn't mean that these people are bigots. More probably they come to ER because (hopefully) they find a more relaxed and less prejudiced type of person there.

In the late 1940's, not long after he came back from the Army (North Germany 1944-45), my father was heading out to church on a Sunday morning when he encountered one of his neighbours. "Ah, Mr ------------, off to chapel?" My father was curious. "Why do you assume I'm going to chapel?" he asked. "Well, don't you support Hibs? They're a Catholic team." My dad, who wasn't a bigot in any sense, explained that (a) Hibs weren't a "Catholic" team - anyone who was good enough was welcome to play for them; (b) he himself had never made a person's religion or ethnicity a reason for either liking or disliking them - he took folks as he found them, and the same went for football teams; and (c) why on earth would anyone assume that religion had anything to do with football?

And (d) that anyone travelling all the way to Tynecastle to watch the Jumbos in preference to watching Hibs (this was 1947 or '48, remember) really couldn't know anything worth knowing about football.

The point being that there are and always have been people in Scotland who equate football loyalties with religious or ethnic background, and it's among them that you find the bigots. Even back in that day, Edinburgh people went to watch Hibs because they were seen as Catholic, Irish, and others went to watch Hearts because they were seen as Scottish, Protestant. And didn't go to watch the other team for reasons opposite but identical. Bigots - or at least prejudiced, and very narrow-minded.

We have some, and they have some. Not as many as the OF have, but some.
Bigots aren't usually aware that they're bigots; they just think they're 'right-minded people'. It's actually quite scary how often people one likes and respects can betray prejudice, racial/religious stereotyping, and bigotry. I know I have to watch my heart, mind, and tongue very carefully or I find myself making generalisations about large groups of people the vast majority of whom I have never met. Which is kind of the thin end of the wedge? The root of it (I think) is fear of the different, the alien, the stranger whose culture I don't really understand.

Sorry for the sermon, but it is still Sunday ... Forgive me? :wink:

Hibernia&Alba
06-03-2017, 07:25 AM
I always felt that Edinburgh football was more about where you lived rather than what school you went to. My experience was that most of those who wanted to play the biggot card were drawn to follow Celtic and Oldco.

Well I'm going to be belting out The Sash for the full ninety minutes in the 'people's semi-final'. No surrender :greengrin

Hibernia&Alba
06-03-2017, 07:29 AM
There have always been those in Edinburgh who support Hibs for reasons connected with their ethnic or religious background/identity - people who worship in the Roman Catholic Church, people whose family background is Irish, Polish, Italian, for example.

This, of course doesn't mean that these people are bigots. More probably they come to ER because (hopefully) they find a more relaxed and less prejudiced type of person there.

In the late 1940's, not long after he came back from the Army (North Germany 1944-45), my father was heading out to church on a Sunday morning when he encountered one of his neighbours. "Ah, Mr ------------, off to chapel?" My father was curious. "Why do you assume I'm going to chapel?" he asked. "Well, don't you support Hibs? They're a Catholic team." My dad, who wasn't a bigot in any sense, explained that (a) Hibs weren't a "Catholic" team - anyone who was good enough was welcome to play for them; (b) he himself had never made a person's religion or ethnicity a reason for either liking or disliking them - he took folks as he found them, and the same went for football teams; and (c) why on earth would anyone assume that religion had anything to do with football?

And (d) that anyone travelling all the way to Tynecastle to watch the Jumbos in preference to watching Hibs (this was 1947 or '48, remember) really couldn't know anything worth knowing about football.

The point being that there are and always have been people in Scotland who equate football loyalties with religious or ethnic background, and it's among them that you find the bigots. Even back in that day, Edinburgh people went to watch Hibs because they were seen as Catholic, Irish, and others went to watch Hearts because they were seen as Scottish, Protestant. And didn't go to watch the other team for reasons opposite but identical. Bigots - or at least prejudiced, and very narrow-minded.

We have some, and they have some. Not as many as the OF have, but some.
Bigots aren't usually aware that they're bigots; they just think they're 'right-minded people'. It's actually quite scary how often people one likes and respects can betray prejudice, racial/religious stereotyping, and bigotry. I know I have to watch my heart, mind, and tongue very carefully or I find myself making generalisations about large groups of people the vast majority of whom I have never met. Which is kind of the thin end of the wedge? The root of it (I think) is fear of the different, the alien, the stranger whose culture I don't really understand.

Sorry for the sermon, but it is still Sunday ... Forgive me? :wink:

:top marks

:applause: