PDA

View Full Version : A decent cup defence already

Hibbyradge
05-03-2017, 01:57 PM
Taking our defence of the Scottish Cup to the semi-final, at least, is a very good effort, not just that it's by a championship team, and I'm very proud of this achievement.

It struck me that this might already be the most successful defence of the trophy by a team outside the top division. :dunno:

Stattos?

1van Sprou7e
05-03-2017, 02:00 PM
Hasn't their only been one team before us to win the Cup from the second division?

Maybe a team won it after being relegated though

Hibbyradge
05-03-2017, 02:11 PM
Hasn't their only been one team before us to win the Cup from the second division?

Maybe a team won it after being relegated though

I thought there were 3, but I could be mistaken.

1van Sprou7e
05-03-2017, 02:17 PM
Seems like East Fife did it in 1937–38 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1937%E2%80%9338_Scottish_Cup) and Queens Park did it in 1892–93 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1892%E2%80%9393_Scottish_Cup)

East Fife got knocked out in the first round but Queen's Park made it to the semi before getting beaten by Rangers

Edit: worth noting that Queen's Park didn't do it from the second division as they were not part of the league system at the time I think

jacomo
05-03-2017, 02:48 PM
Taking our defence of the Cup back to Hampden is a fantastic achievement, no matter what happens next.

Celtc overwhelmingly favourites of course but don't think anyone will want to play us as we are a bit of unknown quantity. Sevco will of course feel 'extremely provoked' if they draw us.

Robinho08
05-03-2017, 03:19 PM
Definitely and the fact that we put the Yams out again was all the more sweeter. Didn't want them putting us out as holders.

Eyrie
05-03-2017, 03:33 PM
It's been a good defence of our cup so far.

We've reached the semi finals and will be the underdog against whoever we play. The only thing that could spoil it would be a four or five goal hammering, or losing the final to Sevco. I could handle losing a semi to them.

Of course, we could have the perfect defence of our cup by winning it again.

leggeto
05-03-2017, 05:19 PM
Taking our defence of the Scottish Cup to the semi-final, at least, is a very good effort, not just that it's by a championship team, and I'm very proud of this achievement.

It struck me that this might already be the most successful defence of the trophy by a team outside the top division. :dunno:

Stattos?

Yeah done well defending it,and maybe just maybe we can get that lap of honour after all this time

hfc rd
05-03-2017, 05:21 PM
When was the last time a team other than Celtic & Rangers retained the Scottish Cup?

stantonhibby
05-03-2017, 05:22 PM
When was the last time a team other than Celtic & Rangers retained the Scottish Cup?

Aberdeen under Ferguson probably

danhibees1875
05-03-2017, 05:44 PM
Aberdeen under Ferguson probably

Yep.

Then Queens park and vale of Leven are the only other teams to win it back to back.

NAE NOOKIE
05-03-2017, 05:57 PM
Yup ...... no matter what happens we can hold our heads up regarding our defence of the cup. Agreed we could have had a tougher draw on the way to the semis, but the stats will show we at least got that far which aint too bad :aok:

Callyballybe
05-03-2017, 06:05 PM
I think we've done really well. A great effort in defending the cup, along with the extra revenue it generates. Absolutely nothing to be ashamed of.
As has been said before, league is the priority.
Anything else now is a lovely, lovely bonus.