PDA

View Full Version : Penalties - straight down the middle

...WentToMowAnSPL
04-03-2017, 10:52 PM
Love it when they go in.. but was that not a bit dodgy by JC or did the keeper move and make his decision easier ?:)
Just thinking of his desire to do a bit of showing off from time to time...:greengrin

HibsNutter
04-03-2017, 10:54 PM
Unsure why players don't put it down the middle and lift it slightly more often. A goalkeeper is going to dive almost every time.

houstonhibbee
05-03-2017, 01:06 AM
Love it when they go in.. but was that not a bit dodgy by JC or did the keeper move and make his decision easier ?:)
Just thinking of his desire to do a bit of showing off from time to time...:greengrin
When it goes down the middle its because the taker has waited until the keeper has gone. JC did that today

Pete
05-03-2017, 01:50 AM
When it goes down the middle its because the taker has waited until the keeper has gone. JC did that today

I think going down the middle is something that's decided before it's taken. As the previous reply states, keepers usually almost dive so it's a safe bet to blast it high and central. Liam Craig was a recent expert at judging what to do in a split second as the keeper moves.

Hitting it low and central, like what Jase did yesterday, is a bit more of a gamble. It almost cost us in last years semi as Kawashima (who I still maintain was very unlucky for every pen) knew what he was going to do. He just didn't realise that it was going to be that bad a penalty :-D

houstonhibbee
05-03-2017, 02:03 AM
I think going down the middle is something that's decided before it's taken. As the previous reply states, keepers usually almost dive so it's a safe bet to blast it high and central. Liam Craig was a recent expert at judging what to do in a split second as the keeper moves.

Hitting it low and central, like what Jase did yesterday, is a bit more of a gamble. It almost cost us in last years semi as Kawashima (who I still maintain was very unlucky for every pen) knew what he was going to do. He just didn't realise that it was going to be that bad a penalty :-D
JC waited till the goalie dived first - then put it down the middle. That was his plan.

Pete
05-03-2017, 02:23 AM
JC waited till the goalie dived first - then put it down the middle. That was his plan.

Hmmm, I'm not convinced but I can't find the highlights to watch it again. Plenty Sevco highlights though :rolleyes:

In fact, such is the genius/madness/brilliance of JC, I'm not even convinced he has a plan when he shuts the door as he leaves his house. Fine lines and all that.

However he operates, it works and I love him:thumbsup:

houstonhibbee
05-03-2017, 03:17 AM
Hmmm, I'm not convinced but I can't find the highlights to watch it again. Plenty Sevco highlights though :rolleyes:

In fact, such is the genius/madness/brilliance of JC, I'm not even convinced he has a plan when he shuts the door as he leaves his house. Fine lines and all that.

However he operates, it works and I love him:thumbsup:
theres a slight hesitation in his run up

on another topic anyone else think the Ayr goal took a very slight deflection of someone's head? Maybe SDG?

Jonnyboy
05-03-2017, 08:42 AM
theres a slight hesitation in his run up

on another topic anyone else think the Ayr goal took a very slight deflection of someone's head? Maybe SDG?

It seemed to skiff the top of Jordon's head

05-03-2017, 10:09 AM

I think (well at least I hope!) Jason has learned his lesson about showing off with penalties. If we get a penalty at a crucial point at hampden next month and he tries another "Pirlo penalty" and misses then I think Lennon would go even more crazy at him than Stubbs! It was a massively selfish and immature thing to do and he clearly was just thinking about showing off on the big stage rather than what was best for the team. Could have understood maybe trying something different and show boating if we were 3 or 4 nil up but at 0-0 and desperately needing a goal it was completely wrong.

As I say though, lesson learned and thankfully for us that incident didn't cost us the game. I'm sure he won't be trying something like that again. Stick to what you know Jason :aok:

NORTHERNHIBBY
05-03-2017, 10:12 AM
If penalties go high into the corners at speed, are they not almost impossible to save?

s.a.m
05-03-2017, 10:19 AM
If penalties go high into the corners at speed, are they not almost impossible to save?

Many years ago, there was a TV documentary which covered a piece of research on successful penalty taking. IIRC, they concluded that top corner penalties were almost un-saveable - but with a high risk of missing the target. I think that bottom corners were most saveable, but safest.

WeeRussell
05-03-2017, 10:30 AM
Many years ago, there was a TV documentary which covered a piece of research on successful penalty taking. IIRC, they concluded that top corner penalties were almost un-saveable - but with a high risk of missing the target. I think that bottom corners were most saveable, but safest.

Surely leathering it down the middle is safer in terms of hitting the target?

hibbysam
05-03-2017, 10:38 AM
Surely leathering it down the middle is safer in terms of hitting the target?

Yuup, just ask Frank Lampard. Very rarely missed and almost all of his 'pressure' penalties went straight down the middle, high and foot put through it. Even if the keeper stood still it would take him through the net.

G B Young
06-03-2017, 08:49 PM
I was struck by how good some of the Hibs penalties were in the shoot-out v the Arabs in last year's semi. Boyle's in particular was a thing of beauty. Yet both he and McGinn admitted in the Time for Heroes DVD that they'd both planned to keep the ball low. Nerves no doubt had a major part to play but it makes you wonder how much control of the ball pro footballers actually have when taking a shot.

Iggy Pope
06-03-2017, 08:59 PM
I was struck by how good some of the Hibs penalties were in the shoot-out v the Arabs in last year's semi. Boyle's in particular was a thing of beauty. Yet both he and McGinn admitted in the Time for Heroes DVD that they'd both planned to keep the ball low. Nerves no doubt had a major part to play but it makes you wonder how much control of the ball pro footballers actually have when taking a shot.

They've both taken pretty abysmal penalties since, so I think you have a point.
After listening to Martin Boyle on the film and witnessing that effort at Tannadice, he can't be trusted with another one. I'll invade the pitch myself.

theonlywayisup
06-03-2017, 09:51 PM
Must be time for the chip again.

...WentToMowAnSPL
06-03-2017, 10:08 PM
Must be time for the chip again.

This - there is no way he won't do it once more :thumbsup: No Pirlo No Party :)

bawheid
06-03-2017, 10:09 PM
This - there is no way he won't do it once more :thumbsup: No Pirlo No Party :)

The seventh penalty in a tense Scottish Cup final shoot out against Rangers should do it.

CapitalGreen
06-03-2017, 10:30 PM
If you want to see a perfect penalty watch Griffiths against Kilmarnock in the 2013 Quarter Final.

His semi final penalty not so much!

jgl07
06-03-2017, 10:32 PM
Cummings didn't put it right down the middle, it was marginally to the goalkeepers' left. I think the goalkeer was already divong to his right before the ball was kicked.

Francis Lee who was one of the most prolific penalty takers in the English game (mostly won by himself) in the 1960s and 1970s. He was known as Lee Won Pen at the time. He always tended to put the ball in a similar line to that of Cummings but higher with great power.

...WentToMowAnSPL
07-03-2017, 12:24 AM
The seventh penalty in a tense Scottish Cup final shoot out against Rangers should do it.

Gonna Nae Do that ? Gonna Nae ??

lugz
07-03-2017, 07:05 AM
People seem to be trying to find new ways of taking penalties all the time. As a chelsea fan I hate hazard taking pens, the casual walk up with a pass to the side of the keeper. Looks brilliant when it comes off but when it goes wrong it looks horrible. I'm with most of here foot through the ball straight down the middle.

G B Young
07-03-2017, 07:53 AM
After listening to Martin Boyle on the film and witnessing that effort at Tannadice, he can't be trusted with another one. I'll invade the pitch myself.

Hanlon's was in hindsight perhaps the best of the four. He said he had made his mind up which way he was going and simply hit it hard and low. Cummings' match-winning penalty was certainly saveable but the keeper was obviously thinking he might be daft enough to try another chip so didn't dive.

G B Young
07-03-2017, 08:02 AM
People seem to be trying to find new ways of taking penalties all the time. As a chelsea fan I hate hazard taking pens, the casual walk up with a pass to the side of the keeper. Looks brilliant when it comes off but when it goes wrong it looks horrible. I'm with most of here foot through the ball straight down the middle.

Tommy McIntyre had a successful spell asour penalty taker in the early 90s but his strategy of picking a side andsimply rolling the ball home very much depended on the keeper guessing wrong.It made him look like the coolest man in the stadium when he put us 1-0 up inthe Skol Cup final and also when slotting home an equaliser in the new yearderby but later that season he missed a crucial one against Airdrie in theScottish Cup quarter-final at Easter Road in a game we then went on to lose.Mind you, Airdrie went on to beat Hearts in the semi-final so I kind of forgavethem.

heretoday
07-03-2017, 09:10 AM
Hit it hard at the gap between the post and the stanchion. Practise doing this over and over. You'll score 9 times out of 10. Don't think about it too much. Just do it.

HFCdeb
07-03-2017, 02:46 PM

This. Cummings or Holt should be taking our penalties.

grammyb111
07-03-2017, 03:34 PM
Tommy McIntyre had a successful spell asour penalty taker in the early 90s but his strategy of picking a side andsimply rolling the ball home very much depended on the keeper guessing wrong.It made him look like the coolest man in the stadium when he put us 1-0 up inthe Skol Cup final and also when slotting home an equaliser in the new yearderby but later that season he missed a crucial one against Airdrie in theScottish Cup quarter-final at Easter Road in a game we then went on to lose.Mind you, Airdrie went on to beat Hearts in the semi-final so I kind of forgavethem.

That Hibs v Airdrie match was my first ever Hibs game. Mickey Weir (who was my favourite player) got taken off injured as well. I left the stadium in tears!