PDA

View Full Version : Smoke bombs

Pages : [1] 2

Mikey09
04-03-2017, 09:30 PM
Can the idiots who think this is a laugh cut it out. The first one that came on was thrown from the back of the East and I watched it barely reach the pitch. If this had hit someone at the front it would have caused a bit of damage. I love the atmosphere up at section 43 but cut this out before someone gets a sore one FFS. Thanks.

wearethehibs
04-03-2017, 09:32 PM
First 1 came from section 44 & I agree it was very lucky to have made the pitch. Silly boys

wearethehibs
04-03-2017, 09:34 PM
I mean if you're going to be silly enough to set these off, at least have the guts to keep hold of it.

hibee_girl
04-03-2017, 09:36 PM
Ayr fans had a few today too

H18 SFR
04-03-2017, 09:38 PM
A couple of children were ejected late on for the second smoke things. Both looked 14/15 years old. I'm sure the club will be looking to support them as they make the transition into adulthood so to speak.

ZSdoom
04-03-2017, 09:46 PM
first one was thrown from behind me in 44, the two kids who did it then moved over to section 43 where they obviously threw the 2nd. the police seemed to know who was involved regarding the first one but never did anything until the 2nd one was thrown

Twiglet
04-03-2017, 10:10 PM
I normally wonder how they can be taken into the stadium today, but I could have taken anything in as the stewards didn't ask to check my bag.

I do agree with a poster above, if you're going to set one off have the guts to hold it...at least until the police and stewards can identify you so they can chuck you out and give your details to Hibs.

04-03-2017, 10:11 PM
No need in them really.

staunchhibby
04-03-2017, 10:13 PM
We dont want those idiots at easter road.

lord bunberry
04-03-2017, 10:13 PM
I like them, it adds to the atmosphere.

SirDavidsNapper
04-03-2017, 10:14 PM

Same. Was thinking I was the only one.

the pie eater
04-03-2017, 10:14 PM
First 1 came from section 44 & I agree it was very lucky to have made the pitch. Silly boys

No it came from section 43. I was in sect 44 next to 43 it was deffo sect 43.

oldbutdim
04-03-2017, 10:15 PM

Indeed.

Adds carcinogens and various nasty chemicals.

Enjoy.

wearethehibs
04-03-2017, 10:17 PM
No it came from section 43. I was in sect 44 next to 43 it was deffo sect 43.

1st 1 was 100% section 44.

Andy74
04-03-2017, 10:20 PM
Indeed.

Enjoy.

Yeah but they smell nice and look good. I'm a generally sensible adult but I like them.

monktonharp
04-03-2017, 10:33 PM
we keep going on about these potentially toxic smoke bombs, but think back to the SC final and to other events over the past few seasons. has there been any real situations where the general support have really been injured, reqd medical attention, or breathing apparatus facilities? a couple of smoke bombs, disnae seem a big issue to me

hibby6270
04-03-2017, 10:54 PM
Smoke bombs at games?
NOT NECESSARY. NOT REQUIRED. NOT CLEVER.
End of!!

04-03-2017, 11:00 PM
I was having a delightful kip until some pesky ruffian launched a smoke bomb on the pitch.

Since1875Hibs
04-03-2017, 11:05 PM
Same person done both and was swiftly ejected. Very, very lucky they didn't hit a supporter in the front row.

JennaFletcher
04-03-2017, 11:17 PM
How do they get sneaked in? When I go to the game it's like airport security, they check every item in my bag :confused:

Was once told that my small perfume sample (yes sample) wasn't allowed because it could be thrown at the pitch :cb

Andy74
04-03-2017, 11:18 PM
Same person done both and was swiftly ejected. Very, very lucky they didn't hit a supporter in the front row.

What happens if a smoke bomb hits you?

ancient hibee
04-03-2017, 11:20 PM
Personally if it hit me I would then go and kick ten bells put of the little s££&at.

Mikey09

Yeah but they smell nice and look good. I'm a generally sensible adult but I like them.

we keep going on about these potentially toxic smoke bombs, but think back to the SC final and to other events over the past few seasons. has there been any real situations where the general support have really been injured, reqd medical attention, or breathing apparatus facilities? a couple of smoke bombs, disnae seem a big issue to me

I was more concerned with how close it came to skelping some poor Hibs fan in the back of the head. I'm sure if one of them hits you or a member of your family you'll still think "ach it adds to the atmosphere!"

wearethehibs

Probably the same thing that would happen if any heavy object thrown from a height would do.

Since1875Hibs
04-03-2017, 11:21 PM

Probably the equivalent of a bottle of beer hitting you in the back of the head, point is it could have seriously hurt somebody.

Andy74
04-03-2017, 11:35 PM
I'm sure someone could point me to some examples of injuries caused by them rather than just imagining what could happen?

In my experience there's more chance of being injured by those round things the players seem intent on kicking around the place.

SaulGoodman
04-03-2017, 11:38 PM
I'm sure someone could point me to some examples of injuries caused by them rather than just imagining what could happen?

In my experience there's more chance of being injured by those round things the players seem intent on kicking around the place.

Are you deliberately ignoring the posts above? People aren't talking about the smoke, they're talking about the fact the canister only just cleared the fans at the bottom of the stand.

Imagine being hit by a smoke canister that was launched from the top of the east if you're sitting at the bottom.

StevieT
04-03-2017, 11:42 PM
Are you deliberately ignoring the posts above? People aren't talking about the smoke, they're talking about the fact the canister only just cleared the fans at the bottom of the stand.

Imagine being hit by a smoke canister that was launched from the top of the east if you're sitting at the bottom.

:agree: That's one hell of a distance, and drop, for one of these things. Some serious damage would be caused if that hit you on the head. Not clever, and certainly no need.

ColinNish
04-03-2017, 11:45 PM
How do they get sneaked in? When I go to the game it's like airport security, they check every item in my bag :confused:

Was once told that my small perfume sample (yes sample) wasn't allowed because it could be thrown at the pitch :cb

Sneaked in inside a jacket. Its no difficult. You're no gonna put them in a bag that's possibly gonna get searched are you?

Andy74
04-03-2017, 11:46 PM

Not ignoring. I'm sure you can point me to examples of people being injured by being struck?

HTD1875
04-03-2017, 11:55 PM
Not really against them and I do think they add to the atmosphere but what a stupid thing to do in an all seated stadium with cctv everywhere. The laddie will end up with a criminal record and a banning order.

SaulGoodman
04-03-2017, 11:57 PM
Not ignoring. I'm sure you can point me to examples of people being injured by being struck?

Ahh I see, so because it's not happened yet means it will never happen. Well that's a relief.

I don't know what's so hard to understand that maybe some people want to go to the football without risking being hit by objects.

Andy74
05-03-2017, 12:01 AM
Ahh I see, so because it's not happened yet means it will never happen. Well that's a relief.

I don't know what's so hard to understand that maybe some people want to go to the football without risking being hit by objects.

I agree but what I'm saying is there doesn't actually seem to be a big history of these things actually being thrown and injuring people.

Mikey09
05-03-2017, 12:05 AM

Assistant ref hit and injured by one at a Villa v Spurs game a few years ago. There was a thread on here after the Derby claiming a Hearts fan was hurt after one was thrown after Cummings scored. What I saw today was a canister missing Hibs fans by inches having travelled from the back of the stand. It's stupid, inconsiderate and down right dangerous. If you think it's acceptable then I'm sure you're in the minority. Your arguement seems to be its fine as long as it doesn't hurt anyone. Let me tell you if it continues it'll be a matter of time before an innocent fan is seriously hurt.

SaulGoodman
05-03-2017, 12:08 AM
I agree but what I'm saying is there doesn't actually seem to be a big history of these things actually being thrown and injuring people.

Probably because they're not often launched from the back of a stand towards the pitch.

That's the whole point in this thread, if you're going to set them off be the person that holds it, don't throw it and potentially hit someone that wants nothing to do with it.

CMurdoch
05-03-2017, 12:08 AM
Sneaked in inside a jacket. Its no difficult. You're no gonna put them in a bag that's possibly gonna get searched are you?

often hidden down front of trousers or held in place :na na:between the buttocks

Cool_Hand_Luke
05-03-2017, 12:10 AM

http://www.eurosport.com/football/international-football/2010/bolivian-boy-killed-by-flare-at-match-against-corinthians_sto3633094/story-amp.shtml

Sorry..on phone so can't link properly

lord bunberry
05-03-2017, 12:10 AM
I once got hit on the back of the head by a quarter bottle of grants vodka. I didn't take to the football forums(because they didn't exist) I just got in with watching the game. People are too soft now.

Andy74
05-03-2017, 12:11 AM
Probably because they're not often launched from the back of a stand towards the pitch.

That's the whole point in this thread, if you're going to set them off be the person that holds it, don't throw it and potentially hit someone that wants nothing to do with it.

Well that's just the same as not being the person that launches a flag stick or an illicit bottle of Diet Coke...

Since1875Hibs
05-03-2017, 12:15 AM

Agree with you, but are you denying the fact it missed someone's head by an inch?

SaulGoodman
05-03-2017, 12:15 AM
Well that's just the same as not being the person that launches a flag stick or an illicit bottle of Diet Coke...

Diet Coke is lighter.

Full fat we might have a problem.

Mikey09
05-03-2017, 12:17 AM
I once got hit on the back of the head by a quarter bottle of grants vodka. I didn't take to the football forums(because they didn't exist) I just got in with watching the game. People are too soft now.

Ah... The good old days eh. :rolleyes:

Pretty Boy
05-03-2017, 12:18 AM
Did the snoke bombs really add to the atmosphere today or at the Hearts game?

Both games saw them set off, both times they were thrown away and both times stewards covered them up within seconds. Seems a bit daft to risk a ban or whatever for 5 seconds of fun. Each to their own though.

Andy74
05-03-2017, 12:18 AM
Agree with you, but are you denying the fact it missed someone's head by an inch?

I've no idea and equally have no idea how serious it would be if it happened.

Hezbelle
05-03-2017, 12:22 AM
I was a few rows behind the plum that launched one into the hearts support after the first goal the other week. I'm just glad whoever picked it up in the Hearts end threw it towards the pitch and not back towards us.

Mikey09
05-03-2017, 12:29 AM

I saw it mate and can safely say if it had hit anyone at the front it would have caused serious damage. The drum and those young lads are fantastic. They create a brilliant atmosphere. What we don't need is a serious incident caused by some wee tube thinking they're smart by launching these things at games.
For the record I'm not suggesting it had anything to do with the singing section in case of any confusion.

Itsnoteasy
05-03-2017, 12:53 AM

Will HFC not get fined for this?

bubblesmorrison
05-03-2017, 12:55 AM
No pyro no party!

Scouse Hibee
05-03-2017, 01:12 AM

Maybe if one ever hit you or your child you could let us all know if it hurt or not.

HTD1875
05-03-2017, 01:14 AM
Will HFC not get fined for this?

Nope

Pete
05-03-2017, 01:16 AM
So it's not really the actual smoke bombs themselves that are the problem, it's the launching of them.

To be honest I'd be tempted to come down a lot harder on someone who threw one rather than just held one.

Can we not have an area where these are "tolerated"?

:dunno:

Scouse Hibee
05-03-2017, 01:18 AM
So it's not really the actual smoke bombs themselves that are the problem, it's the launching of them.

To be honest I'd be tempted to come down a lot harder on someone who threw one rather than just held one.

It's the throwing of any item that might hit someone, the act of a coward hiding in a crowd.

Pete
05-03-2017, 01:23 AM
It's the throwing of any item that might hit someone, the act of a coward hiding in a crowd.

Definitely. Throwing one of these is no different to throwing a bottle or a golf ball with nails hammered into it.

silverhibee
05-03-2017, 01:52 AM

Think it bounces of you and lands on the ground and the smoke keeps coming out, nice green smoke.

Austinho
05-03-2017, 02:12 AM
There's obviously a big divide between those who like smoke bombs and those who don't. There's no reason why these people can't co exist inside a stadium, and I'm sure they will when the singing section is contained to behind the goals.

Personally I think they add to the atmosphere so would be a shame to lose them.

Brizo
05-03-2017, 07:25 AM
Being scudded on the napper by any projectile isnt any fun. And if its been launched by your own fan(nie)s that's an even sorer one.

While its usual for people of a certain vintage to hark back to "the good old days" and I fondly remember being scudded by a half brick vs the huns and having a firework launched at me by the diets through a train carriage window at haymarket station, throwing a canister like this with no regard for the consequences is moronic behaviour. The rights and wrongs of smoke bombs are a different issue, throwing any projectile in your own stands is bang out of order and I hope the throwers get banned.

Mantis Toboggan
05-03-2017, 07:29 AM
Did the snoke bombs really add to the atmosphere today or at the Hearts game?

Both games saw them set off, both times they were thrown away and both times stewards covered them up within seconds. Seems a bit daft to risk a ban or whatever for 5 seconds of fun. Each to their own though.

someone threw one on during a substitution yesterday. what a feeling that must have been.

Mantis Toboggan
05-03-2017, 07:31 AM

you dont know if a piece of metal would hurt if someone threw it 20 ft at your head?

ColinNish
05-03-2017, 07:32 AM
http://www.eurosport.com/football/international-football/2010/bolivian-boy-killed-by-flare-at-match-against-corinthians_sto3633094/story-amp.shtml

Sorry..on phone so can't link properly

He was killed by a flare not a smoke bomb . Two different things!

Mantis Toboggan
05-03-2017, 07:38 AM

correct. doesnt make it ok to throw a smoke bomb at anyone though does it?
i once got hit in the head with a chip and that was demeaning enough.

--------
05-03-2017, 07:42 AM
Ah... The good old days eh. :rolleyes:

We had fun in those days, you know.

It wasn't just quarter bottles - you could be hit by a beer can or a screw-top as well. If you were lucky it would be empty, really lucky it might still be unopened and full of beer.

Really unlucky, it'd be full of piss.

But I can't think of a single documented case of someone being seriously injured by one of these objects.

And trust me, being hit on the back of the head by a beer-can full of some Celtic supporter's piss (they were the most enthusiastic piss-volleyers by far) certainly added to the atmosphere of the game.

It was all just part of the football banter.

My, how we laughed! :rolleyes:

Carheenlea
05-03-2017, 07:53 AM
A guy in the Ayr end picked one that was activated and emitting smoke and casually walked down the aisle with it to let it burn out down the front. Didn't look like anyone was in danger from that one, but throwing one from the back of a stand is just plain foolish and reckless. The guys moving to the new singing section season might need to pay heed to the fact that families will be below them, so throwing smoke canisters onto pitch over them will be an absolute no-go.

Glory Lurker
05-03-2017, 07:57 AM

No. They are banned under law.

ColinNish
05-03-2017, 08:33 AM
correct. doesnt make it ok to throw a smoke bomb at anyone though does it?
i once got hit in the head with a chip and that was demeaning enough.

Where did i say it was OK? Andy74 asked if anyone had been killed by a smoke bomb, someone puts up a link to boy killed by a flare. Not the same thing.

ColinNish
05-03-2017, 08:35 AM
A guy in the Ayr end picked one that was activated and emitting smoke and casually walked down the aisle with it to let it burn out down the front. Didn't look like anyone was in danger from that one, but throwing one from the back of a stand is just plain foolish and reckless. The guys moving to the new singing section season might need to pay heed to the fact that families will be below them, so throwing smoke canisters onto pitch over them will be an absolute no-go.
Why are you pointing the finger at the singing section over this?

Cool_Hand_Luke
05-03-2017, 08:59 AM

And how was he killed from it?

frazeHFC
05-03-2017, 09:08 AM

Was 2 lads who looked like 14/15 who I've never seen in my life. Nothing to do with us who'll be moving to the FF.

Johnny Clash
05-03-2017, 09:10 AM

The guys from the singing section have previously pointed out they are not involved in this and are against folk lobbing stuff down from the stands.
In fact I think they stated it's one reason why they moved to the very front of section 43.

Big_Franck
05-03-2017, 09:17 AM
I also like the smoke bombs and think they add something to the game. None of this grey/white smoke though, stick to the green ones lads.

marinello59
05-03-2017, 09:41 AM
No. They are banned under law.

It is illegal to enter or attempt to enter a football ground with them and illegal for an individual to set them off in a public place. I suppose the club could set some off in a safe area. Yesterday's added nowt to the atmosphere other than an unpleasant smell though so arguing a case or them would be difficult.

WhileTheChief..
05-03-2017, 09:43 AM
You can get smoke pellets that are about the size and weight of a Jaffa Cake, doubt that they'd cause too much damage if you were hit by one!

If you want a proper smoke grenade you can get a pack of 5 green ones for approx 5 euros. Apparently they are ideal for the football and only weigh in at 110g.

They are also non toxic and non carcinogenic.

They look good.

Baldy Foghorn
05-03-2017, 10:17 AM
It is illegal to enter or attempt a enter a football ground with them and illegal for an indidual to set them off in a public place. I suppose the club could set some off in a safe area. Yesterday's added nowt to the atmosphere other than an unpleasant smell though so arguing a case or them would be difficult.

This......

Also Hibs have asked them not to be brought to the games, and yet some still continue to do so

Nameless
05-03-2017, 11:14 AM
In what way do smoke bombs enhance the "atmosphere"? I'm only asking, as the thought of anyone getting excited by coloured smoke seems vaguely pathetic. Those same people must have been nursing a semi for the whole match, given the mist and fog that was lingering around the ground.

hibby6270
05-03-2017, 11:29 AM
In what way do smoke bombs enhance the "atmosphere"? I'm only asking, as the thought of anyone getting excited by coloured smoke seems vaguely pathetic. Those same people must have been nursing a semi for the whole match, given the mist and fog that was lingering around the ground.

I'll tell you why. Young fannie fans watching too many YouTube videos they've been sent by their equally irresponsible mates of east European ultras who think it supposedly adds to the atmosphere. They think they're trying to recreate the same and, let's face it, failing spectacularly.

This type of behaviour doesn't add to the atmosphere at the game. Constant vocal backing does. So just stick to that guys. It's what you do well and is appreciated much more by other fans and the players as well.

Supporting the team shouldn't come down to how many smoke bombs are let off or lobbed on to the pitch. Stop it now before a serious incident arises that one of you will regret.

Smartie
05-03-2017, 11:39 AM
I don't see why there shouldn't be a place where they are tolerated.

I went to a Houston Dynamo game a couple of years back and in front of their "ultra" section (which seemed to me to consist of a bunch of hispanic guys with really cool drums) they had fire bins. From time to time orange smoke bombs would be set off in these bins, billowing out orange smoke everywhere. As far as I could see they were of no danger to anyone, as you would expect in a litigious and ultra safety conscious USA.

When you keep these things criminalised you retain the urge for young twats to lob these things from the backs of stands.

I don't think the smoke is particularly dangerous (although I nothing about this), certainly not compared to what it was like watching 90minutes in the old East pre smoking ban. I don't think anyone should be sitting at the front of a stand and run the risk of getting cracked over the head of one of these things having been thrown from a great height however.

I don't mind the smoke bombs themselves and don't feel the need to get all hand-wringy about people who set them off, but I don't like that they are getting lobbed from the backs of stands.

This wouldn't happen if there was a "safe area" for their use.

ColinNish
05-03-2017, 11:49 AM
And how was he killed from it?

Why you asking me? Read the link that was posted (not by me before you say out about that) if you're interested.

Liam978
05-03-2017, 12:03 PM

For gods sake grow up.

Andy74
05-03-2017, 12:04 PM
For gods sake grow up.

I'm 42. I've probably grown up about as much as Im going to. Did you have anything to add to the thread?

Cool_Hand_Luke
05-03-2017, 12:04 PM
Why you asking me? Read the link that was posted (not by me before you say out about that) if you're interested.

Probably because you were distinguishing between a flare and a smoke bomb. He was killed when it was launched from someone, hit him in the eye and caused a brain haemorrhage.
I was interested in it which is why I posted the link in the first place!

mcohibs
05-03-2017, 12:29 PM
I get the argument that they do add a bit to the atmosphere but think it only really works well after a goal (hearts game). Other than that I think they're pretty pointless. One of them was launched yesterday as we were making a sub... nothing eventful had happened in the previous ten minutes, looked a bit daft.

HFCdeb
05-03-2017, 12:31 PM
I was really worried because the second one went off just a few seats along from me and my dad has severe asthma. He spent the rest of the match struggling to breathe.
It's really careless and I'm not one for moaning about people having a good time if it's harmless but that terrified me yesterday.

MichelleHibs
05-03-2017, 12:31 PM

i wonder the same thing jenna, my (small) handbag is checked every week going in to easter road, yet people are getting in with cans of juice, bottles of juice and smoke bombs...are they just targeting us females?! when i questioned it once i was told i could fit a miniature in my bag therefore could pose a threat?!! i mean really?!!!

Keith_M
05-03-2017, 12:46 PM
Let's leave aside the danger (or otherwise) of throwing smoke bombs and assess the argument of whether they add to the atmosphere.

Most of the times I've seen them they've been launched onto the pitch and extinguished quickly by a bucket of sand.

--- Has to be a 'No' in that instance.

On another few occasions, I've seen them in very large crowds where the stewards didn't go in and remove them. This may have looked 'cool' to anybody that had no interest in watching the game but the main difference I saw was reduced to no visibility of what was going on in the game to a large part of the spectators.

--- For this one, it's somewhere between a 'Meh' and a 'Yes' for the ones that could still see the game... and a big "Gonnae No Dae That" for anybody with a five minute obstructed view.

yonder1875
05-03-2017, 12:53 PM

I can understand the point of a smokebomb at a loud away game after we've scored a huge goal, but not Ayr at home - Scottish cup quarters or not.

Mikey09
05-03-2017, 01:09 PM
Was 2 lads who looked like 14/15 who I've never seen in my life. Nothing to do with us who'll be moving to the FF.

Absolutely nothing to do with the singing section mate. I have posted on this thread that exact point. My point was that this was thrown from the back of the stand and missed fans sitting in the front seats by inches. You boys keep doing what you're doing as that is what creates a cracking atmosphere, not some crap smoke that lasts a minute 👍🏻

hibby6270
05-03-2017, 01:11 PM
OK. Here's a conundrum for you all to consider.

If smoke bombs are so wonderful and deemed to be a necessary part of a game, why don't we just allow all the cigarette smokers to be able to light up their fags and smoke away to their hearts content whilst sitting in their seats?

I'll tell you why. Because smoking a fag in a public covered place is illegal, just as much as sneaking in and letting of a smoke bomb in the same public covered space.

I'm a smoker. Don't take advantage of the "lets go outside at half time for a puff" because I cannae be ersed going down the stairs from West Upper and back up again. Happy enough to go without a fag while I'm in the ground. Should be the same for our smoke bomb lovers.

There is apparently no place in society for us smoking pariahs. Equally there's no place for smoke bombs at a fitba game!!

Carheenlea
05-03-2017, 01:20 PM
I'm not pointing the finger at any particular group of fans, more just making an observation that next season a large section of fans will be moving to an area of the ground where families are situated below, and as of yet, there have been no smoke canisters let off. If someone is stupid enough to throw one from the back of East, who's to say they won't try the same from the top of the FF? It will be a popular area next season.

Thecat23
05-03-2017, 01:32 PM
I like going to watch games without firing off flares or running on the pitch. But hey that's just me, maybe I'm not as much a fanny as I thought I was. 😁

cabbageandribs1875
05-03-2017, 01:37 PM
Indeed.

Enjoy.

they're also great for people with COPD and other pulmonary problems :agree:

SChibs
05-03-2017, 02:25 PM
Why are they even banned? Countries like Germany seem to allow them. Should be a section where you can set off flares and smoke bombs legally cause it does add to the atmosphere. I was at the Scotland Vs Poland game at Hampden and there must have been at least 30 flares set off by the polish and it did enhance the atmosphere.

marinello59
05-03-2017, 02:51 PM
Why are they even banned? Countries like Germany seem to allow them. Should be a section where you can set off flares and smoke bombs legally cause it does add to the atmosphere. I was at the Scotland Vs Poland game at Hampden and there must have been at least 30 flares set off by the polish and it did enhance the atmosphere.

The feeble display we saw yesterday was far removed from the pyrotechnic exhibitions we see at European grounds. I did wonder if the smoke bomb salesman outside the ground had managed to sell the last of his rather disappointing Beige range to the eager young pyro obsessed fans of both teams.

SChibs
05-03-2017, 03:13 PM
The feeble display we saw yesterday was far removed from the pyrotechnic exhibitions we see at European grounds. I did wonder if the smoke bomb salesman outside the ground had managed to sell the last of his rather disappointing Beige range to the eager young pyro obsessed fans of both teams.

Of course it's not gonna be the same as mainland Europe as its illegal over here. My point was if there was a section where it was legal it could allow some entertaining displays. Could use some sort of waiver system when you buy a ticket for said section

matty_f
05-03-2017, 03:17 PM

We should probably just wait for it to happen and then do something about it.

WS Hibs
05-03-2017, 03:35 PM
My take away from this is...

1) Don't be an arse who throws things from the top of a stand onto the pitch. Your throw might not be very good and you could be putting other people in danger.

2) The reason why people throw them is because they're not as liable to be caught. If Police Scotland were a little bit less draconian on smoke bombs then perhaps people could simply set them off in an area of "like-minded" fans without getting their door kicked in.

3) People conflate smoke bombs and flares, and I'm starting to think some in the media do it delibrately. Flares are far more dangerous and you'd have to be a nutter to even attempt to set one off IMO. Smoke bombs are relatively harmless, unless you hurl a cannister. Even then, it's not the smoke that's the dangerous part, it's the missile that could hit somebody.

4) I don't really see the appeal of smoke bombs except on rare occasions, and to be honest Ayr United at home in the Scottish Cup doesn't really scream "pyro oppoprtunity" to me.

5) In all, there should probably be an adult conversation on this going forward. I really think the police have bigger fish to fry than a few teenagers setting off smoke bombs. I think that maybe "zones" where smoke bombs are tolerated (as absolutely uncool as that sounds) would be an ideal step.

tl;dr - don't be a fud and don't throw anything from the top row of the East.

marinello59
05-03-2017, 03:39 PM
Of course it's not gonna be the same as mainland Europe as its illegal over here. My point was if there was a section where it was legal it could allow some entertaining displays. Could use some sort of waiver system when you buy a ticket for said section

I've mentioned this before but Malmo got together with their fans to come up with a compromise solution to this. Maybe the authorities here could take a look at what they did.

ColinNish
05-03-2017, 03:41 PM

1) Don't be an arse who throws things from the top of a stand onto the pitch. Your throw might not be very good and you could be putting other people in danger.

2) The reason why people throw them is because they're not as liable to be caught. If Police Scotland were a little bit less draconian on smoke bombs then perhaps people could simply set them off in an area of "like-minded" fans without getting their door kicked in.

3) People conflate smoke bombs and flares, and I'm starting to think some in the media do it delibrately. Flares are far more dangerous and you'd have to be a nutter to even attempt to set one off IMO. Smoke bombs are relatively harmless, unless you hurl a cannister. Even then, it's not the smoke that's the dangerous part, it's the missile that could hit somebody.

4) I don't really see the appeal of smoke bombs except on rare occasions, and to be honest Ayr United at home in the Scottish Cup doesn't really scream "pyro oppoprtunity" to me.

5) In all, there should probably be an adult conversation on this going forward. I really think the police have bigger fish to fry than a few teenagers setting off smoke bombs. I think that maybe "zones" where smoke bombs are tolerated (as absolutely uncool as that sounds) would be an ideal step.

This should be the last post on this thread. 👏👏👏👏👏
Close the thread!!

Mikey09
05-03-2017, 05:39 PM

Well said. The bit in bold is the bit that worried me.

Malthibby
05-03-2017, 05:51 PM

:agree: Especially No.2 - the folk who enjoy these things can get to set them off & sit with them in their laps. Or they could bring a baby pouch. Keeps the bombs and the Bombees who like them away from everyone else; the top of the away end would be my suggestion.
GG

BullsCloseHibs
05-03-2017, 07:48 PM
No smoke without fire....

Nameless
05-03-2017, 09:10 PM
But hey that's just me, maybe I'm not as much a fanny as I thought I was. 😁

I refuse to believe that's true.

Thecat23
05-03-2017, 09:11 PM
I refuse to believe that's true.

So does my missus!

SChibs
06-03-2017, 11:40 AM
I see orlando have made a safe standing area at their new stadium and have a dedicated area where you are permitted to use smoke bombs

Time For Heroes
06-03-2017, 11:47 AM

Well said

Moulin Yarns
06-03-2017, 11:58 AM

How heavy they are might have some bearing on the injury caused, but if a coin can do this then it has to be bad

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQwJpAgtAW6-Qixafw-fklH09oDhrQviziAtHjKxR1strnIwRfE (https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi0hoHn6MHSAhUFiRoKHVJeAfkQjRwIBw&url=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2Ftalkingbaws%2Fstat us%2F793389063491518465&psig=AFQjCNGKoDpNV2ziszWMjBwp8FJ6LJyhCg&ust=1488887635351176)

Waxy
06-03-2017, 12:16 PM
I see orlando have made a safe standing area at their new stadium and have a dedicated area where you are permitted to use smoke bombs
Easter road has a no smoking policy right through the stadium.

WS Hibs
06-03-2017, 12:22 PM
Easter road has a no smoking policy right through the stadium.

Maybe people can set them off outside the East Stand at half time :aok:

Andy74
06-03-2017, 12:59 PM
How heavy they are might have some bearing on the injury caused, but if a coin can do this then it has to be bad

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQwJpAgtAW6-Qixafw-fklH09oDhrQviziAtHjKxR1strnIwRfE (https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi0hoHn6MHSAhUFiRoKHVJeAfkQjRwIBw&url=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2Ftalkingbaws%2Fstat us%2F793389063491518465&psig=AFQjCNGKoDpNV2ziszWMjBwp8FJ6LJyhCg&ust=1488887635351176)

A coin is a pretty heavy and sharp object if you get the struck with that in the wrong place. I understand that smoke bombs, the basic cheap ones used at paintballing and so on are pretty flimsy things more akin to getting struck by an empty Ribena pack.

Still, I'm not in favour of anything getting thrown at all, just some perspective as it had been suggested this was a potentially catastrophic thing if thrown which would make it obvious they should be banned.

Coins, lighters etc are all allowed in currently.

Moulin Yarns
06-03-2017, 02:20 PM
A coin is a pretty heavy and sharp object if you get the struck with that in the wrong place. I understand that smoke bombs, the basic cheap ones used at paintballing and so on are pretty flimsy things more akin to getting struck by an empty Ribena pack.

Still, I'm not in favour of anything getting thrown at all, just some perspective as it had been suggested this was a potentially catastrophic thing if thrown which would make it obvious they should be banned.

Coins, lighters etc are all allowed in currently.

A pound coin is a massive 9.5g The Wire Pull smoke Yellow grenade I found on Amazon is 132g.

There are legitimate reasons for having coins, lighters and juice cartons.

THERE IS NO LEGITIMATE REASON FOR HAVING ANY SMOKE BOMB OR OTHER PYROTECHNIC IN A FOOTBALL STADIUM, OR EVEN THE STREET.

Hibrandenburg
06-03-2017, 03:47 PM
One thing is apparent on this thread is that pyrotechnics piss a lot of people off. That alone is reason enough to keep them out of the stadium.

Andy74
06-03-2017, 03:52 PM
A pound coin is a massive 9.5g The Wire Pull smoke Yellow grenade I found on Amazon is 132g.

There are legitimate reasons for having coins, lighters and juice cartons.

THERE IS NO LEGITIMATE REASON FOR HAVING ANY SMOKE BOMB OR OTHER PYROTECHNIC IN A FOOTBALL STADIUM, OR EVEN THE STREET.

Grenades are different from smoke bombs.

Steve20
06-03-2017, 04:03 PM
They don't add anything to the atmosphere at all. I honestly don't know how people think they do.

Hopefully Hibs will ban them from Easter Road soon.

Moulin Yarns
06-03-2017, 04:05 PM
Grenades are different from smoke bombs.

Are you telling us that you know exactly what it was that was thrown on Saturday?

No, I didn't think so. Why not accept that the throwing of any missile, be it a smoke grenade, smoke bomb, flare, paintball device or Ribena carton is wrong, illegal, possibly dangerous and most definitely not welcome amongst the Hibs support, instead of being a total wally in trying to defend the indefensible.

Andy74
06-03-2017, 04:06 PM
They don't add anything to the atmosphere at all. I honestly don't know how people think they do.

Hopefully Hibs will ban them from Easter Road soon.

They have already?

That said there are other clubs that have encouraged them as seen in the other thread so there are legitimate alternative views.

Moulin Yarns
06-03-2017, 04:13 PM
http://www.enolagaye.com/what-when-how-can-we-use-smoke-bombs/

Pete
06-03-2017, 04:18 PM
Do they add anything to the atmosphere? I think that's a matter of opinion.

I'd like to see an area where they are tolerated and warnings given to those who want to be there. If you have breathing difficulties then it's maybe best you sit somewhere else.

They are illegal but I think that's more down to people simply not understanding the different types of pyrotechnic so a blanket ban is simpler (lazier even). The confusion and fear they cause would also be eliminated with education and tolerance zones.

However, it's young men and boys we're dealing with who like to push the boundaries. If one form is permitted then how long before the more dangerous ones are sneaked in and how long before they start lobbing them about?

Pete
06-03-2017, 04:19 PM
http://www.enolagaye.com/what-when-how-can-we-use-smoke-bombs/

Come on, Leonardo looks the business.

cmcd
06-03-2017, 04:36 PM

Until one goes off in you're face

Andy74
06-03-2017, 04:53 PM
Until one goes off in you're face

That's just a dramatic statement. What happens if it does? How likely is this to happen to anyone other than the person who lets it off?

From the link above even the larger canister types don't seem to be able to cause any particular damage.

beensaidbefore
06-03-2017, 05:22 PM
That's just a dramatic statement. What happens if it does? How likely is this to happen to anyone other than the person who lets it off?

From the link above even the larger canister types don't seem to be able to cause any particular damage.

Doesn't matter. This is hibs.net and if there is an exaggeration to be made it will be on here.

It was dangerous and I dont condone it, but the amount of 'Aye but what if this happened' stuff on here is laughable.
Let's deal with facts rather than far fetched hypothetical scenarios. The holier than thou chat is nothing short of boring.

barcahibs
06-03-2017, 05:26 PM
Do they add anything to the atmosphere? I think that's a matter of opinion.

I'd like to see an area where they are tolerated and warnings given to those who want to be there. If you have breathing difficulties then it's maybe best you sit somewhere else.

They are illegal but I think that's more down to people simply not understanding the different types of pyrotechnic so a blanket ban is simpler (lazier even). The confusion and fear they cause would also be eliminated with education and tolerance zones.

However, it's young men and boys we're dealing with who like to push the boundaries. If one form is permitted then how long before the more dangerous ones are sneaked in and how long before they start lobbing them about?

As i understand it, legally the idea of people signing "waivers" to say they're happy to sit in an area where smoke bombs are permitted is a non-starter. You cannot sign away your rights under law.

If you sit in an area where pyrotechnics are informally allowed and you are injured by one (maybe from heat/physical contact, maybe from smoke inhalation) then Hibs would get hammered, no matter how much they/you could claim you'd agreed to accept the risk.

They would also open themselves up to future liability - who actually knows what's in these smoke bombs? What if it contains an ingredient which turns out to be the 21st century equivalent to asbestos?

20 years down the line and everyone who sat in the stadium is suing for lung cancer?

Might seem unlikely but its happened before.

I am asthmatic so for that reason alone wouldnt want to be breathing the reek these things let out but god knows what else is in there.

NYHibby
06-03-2017, 05:35 PM
As i understand it, legally the idea of people signing "waivers" to say they're happy to sit in an area where smoke bombs are permitted is a non-starter. You cannot sign away your rights under law.

If you sit in an area where pyrotechnics are informally allowed and you are injured by one (maybe from heat/physical contact, maybe from smoke inhalation) then Hibs would get hammered, no matter how much they/you could claim you'd agreed to accept the risk.

I'm strongly opposed to smoke bombs, but volenti (consenting to risk) is a basic principle of English tort law. Maybe there is some quark of Scots law that I am unfamiliar with.

barcahibs
06-03-2017, 05:47 PM
I'm strongly opposed to smoke bombs, but volenti (consenting to risk) is a basic principle of English tort law. Maybe there is some quark of Scots law that I am unfamiliar with.

Meh, i could easily be talking balearics but that was my understanding from the one law course i took at Uni. If you have a right under law (such as the right to be protected from people committing illegal acts around you) you cant just sign that right away.
It's the same reason why many pre-nuptial agreements or retail agreements are pointless - the specific example we were given is the EULA statements that many software companies make you sign before using their product, they're pointless as they ask you to sign away your rights and are thus unenforceable.

Like i say though, one term of law on a Monday and Wednesday morning, not claiming i was paying that much attention :)

Edit:

Come to think of it, the organisation i work for uses volenti non fit injuria in several of its risk assesments - and I do know that at least one time something went wrong and it was tested in court by a member of the public and we lost.

NYHibby
06-03-2017, 06:04 PM
You're right that are limits to what you can consent to.

There is some case law on consenting to risks at sporting events. In practice I think it would be very hard for the club to rely on a volenti defence in terms of smoke bombs.

You might be thinking of unfair terms. You can't include terms that limit liability for personal injury or death.

s.a.m
06-03-2017, 06:11 PM
Meh, i could easily be talking balearics but that was my understanding from the one law course i took at Uni. If you have a right under law (such as the right to be protected from people committing illegal acts around you) you cant just sign that right away.
It's the same reason why many pre-nuptial agreements or retail agreements are pointless - the specific example we were given is the EULA statements that many software companies make you sign before using their product, they're pointless as they ask you to sign away your rights and are thus unenforceable.

Like i say though, one term of law on a Monday and Wednesday morning, not claiming i was paying that much attention :)

Edit:

Come to think of it, the organisation i work for uses volenti non fit injuria in several of its risk assesments - and I do know that at least one time something went wrong and it was tested in court by a member of the public and we lost.

:agree: I remember hearing Martin Lewis saying: if I walk up to you in the street and tell you I'm going to punch you in the face and then do it, having told you beforehand doesn't make it legal.

I vaguely remember a court case (can't remember if it was here or England) where consenting adults who had been engaging in violent sex to somebody's injury were successfully prosecuted for assault. And IIRC, the explanation at the time was that you can't consent to illegal activity.

....which is an observation in reply to the post above the one I quoted. Obviously, on the subject of smoke-bombs, willing adults and consent forms there isn't a comparison with violent assault. I do wonder though if it would be a bit of a legal hassle for Hibs: there is risk involved - for example, to people with respiratory illness, and it may be that they wouldn't be able to remove their legal responsibility for the safety of people at risk in the stadium, in the way that shops can't remove their responsibility for their customers' rights by pinning a notice on the wall saying that they're doing it . In the event of someone taking ill, presumably they would have to demonstrate that they didn't knowingly put them at risk:dunno:

Alan62
06-03-2017, 06:27 PM
:agree:

I vaguely remember a court case (can't remember if it was here or England) where consenting adults who had been engaging in violent sex to somebody's injury were successfully prosecuted for assault. And IIRC, the explanation at the time was that you can't consent to illegal activity.

Indeed. I recall a case where one of the consenting adults in some weirdo sex ring had had his nutsack nailed to the floor as part of the fun. He was totally up for it but him and his cronies got busted all the same.

Having said that if some we nyaff hits me on the head with a smoke bomb thrown from a great height then I'll be reaching for the scrotal hammer and fixing them permanently to East Stand concourse.

There's no place for smoke bombs in a modern stadium and anyone who brings one into the ground should be hammered by both the club and the authorities.

barcahibs
06-03-2017, 06:33 PM
:agree: I remember hearing Martin Lewis saying: if I walk up to you in the street and tell you I'm going to punch you in the face and then do it, having told you beforehand doesn't make it legal.

....which is an observation in reply to the post above the one I quoted. Obviously, on the subject of smoke-bombs, willing adults and consent forms there isn't a comparison with violent assault. I do wonder though if it would be a bit of a legal hassle for Hibs: there is risk involved - for example, to people with respiratory illness, and it may be that they wouldn't be able to remove their legal responsibility for the safety of people at risk in the stadium, in the way that shops can't remove their responsibility for their customers' rights by pinning a notice on the wall saying that they're doing it . In the event of someone taking ill, presumably they would have to demonstrate that they didn't knowingly put them at risk:dunno:

I think that's the point I'm (badly) trying to make. You can't consent to something illegal.
Hibs have a duty of care to you whilst you are in the stadium. If they can reasonably prevent you being exposed to a risk they have to do so.
They can't just turn round and say we're going to allow people to commit illegal and potentially dangerous acts around you even if you agree to it.

The issue of unofficial standing section, or areas of the ground where the club advertises that everyone is going to be standing which people occasionally bring up here falls under the same criteria - which is why you'll never hear the club officially admitting that there is any such policy in any part of the ground (I'm not talking about potential future specially designed safe standing areas)

Viva_Palmeiras
06-03-2017, 06:35 PM

It's one thing taking charge of a pyro its another accepting responsibility for the welfare of your fellow fan. Seems to me that the folks that throw them are accepting one without the other and thereby transferring it on to the club. The more this persists the greater the pressure will be on strict liability.

Think about the scenario where a pyro hits you or your family / mate and causes a burn. You might just shrug it off. But it might just have put off family attending. Can't believe it's being debated after all that's gone on.

Pete
06-03-2017, 06:37 PM
Until one goes off in your face

Giggity.

Keith_M
06-03-2017, 06:41 PM
Surely this is the last word on the subject...

"Hibernian would like to remind supporters about a zero tolerance policy with regards to the carrying and use of pyrotechnics at our matches.

The use of pyrotechnics, including smoke bombs and flares, within football stadiums is extremely dangerous and is a serious offence.

Any supporter identified to have committed such an act will be banned by Hibernian, and also face the possibility of a football banning order and criminal prosecution."

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/7347 (http://http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/7347)

(http://http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/7347)

BSEJVT
06-03-2017, 06:58 PM
i wonder the same thing jenna, my (small) handbag is checked every week going in to easter road, yet people are getting in with cans of juice, bottles of juice and smoke bombs...are they just targeting us females?! when i questioned it once i was told i could fit a miniature in my bag therefore could pose a threat?!! i mean really?!!!

There are few things in life more dangerous Michelle than women with miniatures in their handbags

It is without doubt a portent of trouble ahead :greengrin

Andy74
06-03-2017, 07:58 PM
It's one thing taking charge of a pyro its another accepting responsibility for the welfare of your fellow fan. Seems to me that the folks that throw them are accepting one without the other and thereby transferring it on to the club. The more this persists the greater the pressure will be on strict liability.

Think about the scenario where a pyro hits you or your family / mate and causes a burn. You might just shrug it off. But it might just have put off family attending. Can't believe it's being debated after all that's gone on.

That's fine but smoke bombs don't appear to carry the risk you're talking about though.

Slavoj Zizek
06-03-2017, 08:25 PM
One experiences more Carbon Monoxide poisioning walking down Leith Walk @ rush hour or standing outside the Four in Hand with smokers. #cough

Eyrie
06-03-2017, 09:43 PM
I think Hibs should provide a dedicated area for smoke bombs. This would be a locked cupboard and the person setting it off would be able to enjoy the atmosphere in private or with a couple of consenting mates for five minutes before the door is opened. Allows them to get their kicks and the rest of us to watch the game.

Moulin Yarns
06-03-2017, 10:32 PM
I think Hibs should provide a dedicated area for smoke bombs. This would be a locked cupboard and the person setting it off would be able to enjoy the atmosphere in private or with a couple of consenting mates for five minutes before the door is opened. Allows them to get their kicks and the rest of us to watch the game.

Can I nominate Andy74 to trial this for the remainder of the season?

Moulin Yarns
06-03-2017, 10:35 PM
Are you telling us that you know exactly what it was that was thrown on Saturday?

No, I didn't think so. Why not accept that the throwing of any missile, be it a smoke grenade, smoke bomb, flare, paintball device or Ribena carton is wrong, illegal, possibly dangerous and most definitely not welcome amongst the Hibs support, instead of being a total wally in trying to defend the indefensible.

Well Andy74. I'm still waiting. Seeing you know so much about the missile thrown on Saturday

jgl07
06-03-2017, 10:43 PM
Tort does not apply in Scotland. The nearest equivalent in Scots Law is the Law of Delict.

Duty of Care is central to Delict.

Andy74
06-03-2017, 10:44 PM
Well Andy74. I'm still waiting. Seeing you know so much about the missile thrown on Saturday

I think I've said a few times that chucking stuff is wrong.

--------
06-03-2017, 11:00 PM

:agree: I don't see what's so hard to understand. Throwing anything at all is out of order. If the club starts arguing about what can be thrown and what cannot be thrown, that allows people to throw things. I don't really fancy going back to the days when some moron farther up the stand/terrace would heave an object - hard or soft, wet or dry, smelly and noxious or not - towards the pitch and some unsuspecting spectator would catch it on the back of his/her head.

Throwing missiles of any sort is a no-no. Sooner or later, people get hurt. It needs to stop.

Mikey09
06-03-2017, 11:07 PM
Doesn't matter. This is hibs.net and if there is an exaggeration to be made it will be on here.

It was dangerous and I dont condone it, but the amount of 'Aye but what if this happened' stuff on here is laughable.
Let's deal with facts rather than far fetched hypothetical scenarios. The holier than thou chat is nothing short of boring.

Its about risk and taking that risk away by banning them. What is far fetched about a smoke canister hitting someone on the back of the head having been thrown from a height and distance? Yes it didn't hit anyone, only just, but who's to say the next time it doesn't reach the pitch and hits some innocent supporter on the head? Can you guarantee that?

ian cruise
06-03-2017, 11:07 PM

Whilw I disagree with his point of view, Andy is just playing devils advocate and offering a counter argument, he didn't say he agreed with what happened at the game. He's discussing pyro at football in general.

Viva_Palmeiras
07-03-2017, 05:49 AM
Whilw I disagree with his point of view, Andy is just playing devils advocate and offering a counter argument, he didn't say he agreed with what happened at the game. He's discussing pyro at football in general.

No he's not he's focusing on smoke bombs only.

Moulin Yarns
07-03-2017, 06:58 AM
No he's not he's focusing on smoke bombs only.

He even argued that a smoke bomb, when thrown is lighter than a coin which is why I want him to justify himself.

heretoday
07-03-2017, 07:13 AM
When Tesco's stop selling 'em, I'll stop chucking 'em.

ColinNish
07-03-2017, 07:26 AM
When Tesco's stop selling 'em, I'll stop chucking 'em.

I doubt Tesco will stop selling ribena cartons
anytime soon. :greengrin

Phil MaGlass
07-03-2017, 07:33 AM
I don't see why there shouldn't be a place where they are tolerated.

I went to a Houston Dynamo game a couple of years back and in front of their "ultra" section (which seemed to me to consist of a bunch of hispanic guys with really cool drums) they had fire bins. From time to time orange smoke bombs would be set off in these bins, billowing out orange smoke everywhere. As far as I could see they were of no danger to anyone, as you would expect in a litigious and ultra safety conscious USA.

When you keep these things criminalised you retain the urge for young twats to lob these things from the backs of stands.

I don't think the smoke is particularly dangerous (although I nothing about this), certainly not compared to what it was like watching 90minutes in the old East pre smoking ban. I don't think anyone should be sitting at the front of a stand and run the risk of getting cracked over the head of one of these things having been thrown from a great height however.

I don't mind the smoke bombs themselves and don't feel the need to get all hand-wringy about people who set them off, but I don't like that they are getting lobbed from the backs of stands.

This wouldn't happen if there was a "safe area" for their use.

This, I think they do create an atmosphere in the stadium, I have been to numerous Dutch games where they have been let off under club supervision and it does add to the atmosphere, if its the odd flare being flung then I can see that it does not add to it and it is also dangerous. Banning them will just push more to smuggle them in IMO.

Time For Heroes
07-03-2017, 09:19 AM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4286546/Orlando-City-open-stadium-safe-standing-flares.html

This could maybe be a solution?

marinello59
07-03-2017, 09:30 AM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4286546/Orlando-City-open-stadium-safe-standing-flares.html

Definitely. I would caution against combining the campaign with safe standing and the provision of an area designated as safe for flares etc. However the combination of the two does look like the perfect long term goal. Rukt

Moulin Yarns
07-03-2017, 09:30 AM

There is already a solution

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/7347

Fuzzywuzzy
07-03-2017, 09:39 AM
And there's me getting a dressing down for taking in half empty bottle of highland spring.

Salt N Sauzee
07-03-2017, 09:40 AM
He even argued that a smoke bomb, when thrown is lighter than a coin which is why I want him to justify himself.

Smoke bomb's are really lightweight to be fair. The one's I've used at paintball weigh next to nothing. I think if a coin hit you in the head/face it'd do more damage than what a smoke bomb would.

SChibs
07-03-2017, 10:06 AM
Smoke bomb's are really lightweight to be fair. The one's I've used at paintball weigh next to nothing. I think if a coin hit you in the head/face it'd do more damage than what a smoke bomb would.

To be the canister would be like throwing an empty tin of juice so a coin or lighter would do more damage imo.

Moulin Yarns
07-03-2017, 10:11 AM

If they are the ones used in paintballing, but nobody has come up with definitive proof that is what is being thrown. The ones I found on the internet are 13 times heavier than a pound coin.

The fact remains, they are being used as missiles and should be banned.

cmcd
07-03-2017, 10:17 AM
:agree: I don't see what's so hard to understand. Throwing anything at all is out of order. If the club starts arguing about what can be thrown and what cannot be thrown, that allows people to throw things. I don't really fancy going back to the days when some moron farther up the stand/terrace would heave an object - hard or soft, wet or dry, smelly and noxious or not - towards the pitch and some unsuspecting spectator would catch it on the back of his/her head.

Throwing missiles of any sort is a no-no. Sooner or later, people get hurt. It needs to stop.
Couldn't agree more Doddie.I can't understand why anyone would want to throw anything in a crowd . As for having a designated area FFS ????

Scouse Hibee
07-03-2017, 10:34 AM
If they are the ones used in paintballing, but nobody has come up with definitive proof that is what is being thrown. The ones I found on the internet are 13 times heavier than a pound coin.

Absolutely, it's not as if the ersehole who throws a smoke bomb has considered whether he is throwing something that could cause injury or not.

I can't imagine them thinking................Oh I'll take light ones this week, as the heavier one I threw last week could have hurt someone!

Andy74
07-03-2017, 10:47 AM

The last sentence is what I'm discussing. Throwing anything is wrong.

Your argument, however, is that if it can be used as a missile it should be banned. There are many things that have been used as missiles, much more often than smoke bombs. Using this logic things like coins and lighters should be banned.

This is daft of course but then so is using the logic that smoke bombs should be banned for that reason alone.

There's been a bit of drama made around what would happen if they hit anyone. I'm just suggesting that the facts around this are a bit different.

Taking the coin example I think my jacket weighs more than a pound coin but I know which one I'd rather have thrown at me.

Again, I'm saying throwing anything is wrong. I am suggesting though that some of the reaction which included having a good laugh about questioning what happens if one hits you, has been a bit dramatic.

Salt N Sauzee
07-03-2017, 10:56 AM

But maybe you looked up the heaviest smoke bomb you could find to suit your argument :greengrin There's a high chance that they are the same as the paintball ones as they are the cheapest.

I totally agree they shouldn't be used as missiles. I don't believe they should be banned though, I like the approach that an MLS team have taken by having a designated section where they can be set off. There's no denying that across European leagues the flares, smoke bomb and Tifo displays look amazing. Maybe something that could be considered for the FF Singing Section. Doubt the powers that be (SFA/Polis) will have any of that though.

Moulin Yarns
07-03-2017, 11:00 AM
The last sentence is what I'm discussing. Throwing anything is wrong.

Your argument, however, is that if it can be used as a missile it should be banned. There are many things that have been used as missiles, much more often than smoke bombs. Using this logic things like coins and lighters should be banned.

This is daft of course but then so is using the logic that smoke bombs should be banned for that reason alone.

There's been a bit of drama made around what would happen if they hit anyone. I'm just suggesting that the facts around this are a bit different.

Taking the coin example I think my jacket weighs more than a pound coin but I know which one I'd rather have thrown at me.

Again, I'm saying throwing anything is wrong. I am suggesting though that some of the reaction which included having a good laugh about questioning what happens if one hits you, has been a bit dramatic.

I point you to your earlier posts where you clearly don't see any issue with them being thrown as you want others to prove they are dangerous

Time For Heroes
07-03-2017, 11:02 AM
There is already a solution

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/7347

Is that a solution though?
I don't really have a for or against when it comes to smoke bombs/grenades, however if enough people want it and its safe why wouldn't we try it?
Safe standing, Flares etc are done in many other leagues around the world.
I reckon a safe standing, singing section with aluminim flooring build for noise sounds ace. Add in smoke of you so wish. Might be a better solution that folk throwing them aimlessly because the are scared of getting caught with them once they are set off?

NYHibby
07-03-2017, 11:09 AM
But maybe you looked up the heaviest smoke bomb you could find to suit your argument :greengrin There's a high chance that they are the same as the paintball ones as they are the cheapest.

I totally agree they shouldn't be used as missiles. I don't believe they should be banned though, I like the approach that an MLS team have taken by having a designated section where they can be set off. There's no denying that across European leagues the flares, smoke bomb and Tifo displays look amazing. Maybe something that could be considered for the FF Singing Section. Doubt the powers that be (SFA/Polis) will have any of that though.

Talk about intentional misleading people to support your argument. Smoke bombs are not allowed in the MLS. Houston does not have a section for fans to set off smoke bombs. Both clearly ban them.

http://www.houstondynamo.com/fans/code-conduct
http://www.bbvacompassstadium.com/guest-services/security-policies

This guy got a league wide ban for setting out a smoke bomb outside the stadium.
http://dcist.com/2016/04/dc_united_facing_fan_mutiny_as_supp.php

Time For Heroes
07-03-2017, 11:18 AM
Talk about intentional misleading people to support your argument. Smoke bombs are not allowed in the MLS. Houston does not have a section for fans to set off smoke bombs. Both clearly ban them.

This guy got a league wide ban for setting out a smoke bomb outside the stadium.

I dont think anyone was trying to intentional mislead people to support their arguement, this is a link I posted a few pages back, taken from the daily mail this morning.

It is a new stadium, firat game etc so maybe your information is outdated? maybe the Mail is wtong i dunno.
Anyway nobody was intentionaly trying to mislead :greengrin

Moulin Yarns
07-03-2017, 11:32 AM
Is that a solution though?
I don't really have a for or against when it comes to smoke bombs/grenades, however if enough people want it and its safe why wouldn't we try it?
Safe standing, Flares etc are done in many other leagues around the world.
I reckon a safe standing, singing section with aluminim flooring build for noise sounds ace. Add in smoke of you so wish. Might be a better solution that folk throwing them aimlessly because the are scared of getting caught with them once they are set off?

Yes it is a solution, and it is the approach taken by our club.

Hibernian would like to remind supporters about a zero tolerance policy with regards to the carrying and use of pyrotechnics at our matches.

The use of pyrotechnics, including smoke bombs and flares, within football stadiums is extremely dangerous and is a serious offence.
Any supporter identified to have committed such an act will be banned by Hibernian, and also face the possibility of a football banning order and criminal prosecution.
Hibernian will continue to work closely with Scottish Police, security and the football authorities to eradicate this behaviour at our matches.
Chief Executive Leeann Dempster said: “The backing that we have had from the fans this season has been terrific. Our average gates are the fourth highest in the country and the fans have also responded to Neil’s call earlier in the season for a more vocal backing.
"The Hibernian support deserves massive praise and our appreciation for that. We want all supporters to enjoy coming to games, we want a great atmosphere and we want the fans to go home happy. However we all need to do this in a safe and considerate manner.
“The club are already investigating several incidents involving pyrotechnics and pitch incursions at the recent Edinburgh Derby, and will be doing so again after Saturday’s win over Ayr United.
“We ask that supporters enjoy the exciting run in to the end of the season and support the club in our efforts to win the league and retain the Scottish Cup without resorting to unacceptable behaviours that can lead to the club and the individual facing charges.”
Robbie McGregor, Hibernian Football Safety Officer, said: “Pyrotechnic articles operate at very high temperatures, well above 600 degrees and can operate in excess of 1500 degrees in the case of flares.

“Invisible particles from pyrotechnic articles can have both acute and chronic effects detrimental to human health and contrary to some opinions they are not harmless.

“One pyrotechnic was thrown from the upper section of the East Stand yesterday, over the heads of hundreds of fans, just reaching the pitch. There should be no debate that this behaviour is extremely dangerous.

“Supporters are also reminded of their responsibilities in not entering the field of play before, during or after the match.”

Time For Heroes
07-03-2017, 11:51 AM

ive read it already, it starts of by saying that the would like to remind supporters, which tells me this isn't a new thing but it isn't working (so far), hence why I posted a potentially more suitable solution.
I honestly think it would depend on how many people would want it, if we could fill a whole stand with singing, smoke etc i think it would be amazing, however i can see that ever happening.
As I said, just a suggestion.

Lago
07-03-2017, 11:51 AM
I really can't believe there is a discussion going on about smoke bombs being ok or not ok. As I sit here reading the various posts I'm literally shaking my head in amazement.

Hibrandenburg
07-03-2017, 11:54 AM
I really can't believe there is a discussion going on about smoke bombs being ok or not ok. As I sit here reading the various posts I'm literally shaking my head in amazement.

:agree: There was a time where other nations wished they had vocal supporters and atmosphere at games like we had, how things change in that now we've got some who want to see us copy other nations.

green with envy
07-03-2017, 11:55 AM

A female Hibs supporter was hit by a smoke bomb (row V - section 43) last season. In fact she was sitting right behind me. The flare hit on the foot burning a hole in her trainer and yes she did need medical attention. I wonder how much damage this would have caused if it had hit her on the face.

Anyone (unless they are under 13) really needs a good look at themselves if they believe that no damage can be done by thrown these.

Moulin Yarns
07-03-2017, 12:07 PM
ive read it already, it starts of by saying that the would like to remind supporters, which tells me this isn't a new thing but it isn't working (so far), hence why I posted a potentially more suitable solution.
I honestly think it would depend on how many people would want it, if we could fill a whole stand with singing, smoke etc i think it would be amazing, however i can see that ever happening.
As I said, just a suggestion.

You might have read I, but you fail to understand it

Which bit of
zero tolerance policy do you not understand? It has nothing to do with how many people want it and everything to do with the football club keeping within the law.

Time For Heroes
07-03-2017, 12:11 PM
You might have read I, but you fail to understand it

Which bit of do you not understand? It has nothing to do with how many people want it and everything to do with the football club keeping within the law.

I understand it just fine thank you, Surely the clubs position could change if there was a high demand for it?
As previously stated, i don't care about them but if enough people do then why not do it in a safe section?
The club have put out a statement, that doean't mean people will follow it.
The club rules state that people can't stand, swear constantly or be drunk at matches but that happens at every game. Going by your logic should the club just release a statement and that will sort it?
Im simple looking at a common ground

Smartie
07-03-2017, 12:18 PM
It's interesting that Dynamo's rules say they are banned.

I had a quick look for stuff on youtube and there seems to be a good few older videos of security grappling with fans over setting off smoke bombs so they've certainly not always been allowed.

But in the video below, about 32 seconds in, you get an idea what I was talking about. There's a big black bin with smoke billowing out.

https://youtu.be/xCzYVAkkvcs

As I remember it they had a few of these at the front and as the teams ran out and when Dynamo scored, they set off smoke bombs in them.

This can't have been done without the club's permission surely?

heretoday
07-03-2017, 12:31 PM

I think they're ok. In fact I've just chucked one down oor stair.

Moulin Yarns
07-03-2017, 12:32 PM
For those that think it is OK to have smoke bombs or anything else that is banned at football matches, Likely to be approved in the future, think it adds to the experience, here is a reality check for you. This is not my opinion, this is FACT.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-35402735

http://spfl.co.uk/news/article/strathclyde-police-policy-on-smoke-bombs--flares-2011-02-04/

http://www.fsf.org.uk/assets/Smoke-Bombs-Flares-and-Fireworks-Factsheet-for-FSF.pdf

Now, can we all forget about whether it is right or wrong, is or would be a good thing. It isn't allowed and is not going to be allowed in the near future.

Billychaotic182
07-03-2017, 12:36 PM
Keep seeing people say it adds to the atmosphere. How exactly? It's not like as soon as it goes of the smoke makes everyone sing. If anything if makes people cover their mouth to stop inhaling the smoke. As for throwing them. How can anyone defend this?

Look they are banned. Bring them in and you might never see hibs play again. So if you bring them in you care more about looking like an ultra twat than ever supporting your team!

Hibrandenburg
07-03-2017, 01:29 PM
I understand it just fine thank you, Surely the clubs position could change if there was a high demand for it?
As previously stated, i don't care about them but if enough people do then why not do it in a safe section?
The club rules state that people can't stand, swear constantly or be drunk at matches but that happens at every game. Going by your logic should the club just release a statement and that will sort it?

You say you understand then go on to prove otherwise. The clubs position can't change because the use of smoke bombs in public places is illegal.

cmcd
07-03-2017, 01:35 PM

Considered for the FF .Are you serious? Lots of Kids and pensioners like myself in FF Lower would be at risk. I don't understand why we have 6Pages of debate when the law says it is illegal

hibbymac
07-03-2017, 01:36 PM

Do you think the club should just encourage people to break the law ? :rolleyes:

Salt N Sauzee
07-03-2017, 01:42 PM

Erm, you were saying? :rolleyes:

marinello59
07-03-2017, 01:45 PM
Do you think the club should just encourage people to break the law ? :rolleyes:

The law stops individuals taking pyrotechnics in to the ground and also from setting them off in public. That doesn't mean they can't be used to enhance the atmosphere. They already are being used at various UK sporting events. Fireworks before kick off at the cup final? Flamethrowers at T20 Cricket matches? Smoke etc is used in Theatre productions so I'm guessing there is some sort of safe alternative available for that as well. IF the demand was there then perhaps there is a compromise to be found.

Viva_Palmeiras
07-03-2017, 01:56 PM

Didn't realise The Donald tuned in to Hibs.net. ;)

Time For Heroes
07-03-2017, 01:57 PM

where have I said that? Im encouraging the club to look at aternatives to make it safe, surely a better option than idiots throwing them over peoples heads?

Salt N Sauzee
07-03-2017, 01:58 PM
Considered for the FF .Are you serious? Lots of Kids and pensioners like myself in FF Lower would be at risk. I don't understand why we have 6Pages of debate when the law says it is illegal

Because debating it isn't illegal. It's a big topic at the club at the moment and a lot of fans have a lot of different views on the subject, don't know how you can't understand that.

hibbymac
07-03-2017, 01:59 PM
where have I said that? Im encouraging the club to look at aternatives to make it safe, surely a better option than idiots throwing them over peoples heads?

I didn't say you said that, I'm asking if that's what you meant .

Moulin Yarns
07-03-2017, 02:03 PM
The law stops individuals taking pyrotechnics in to the ground and also from setting them off in public. That doesn't mean they can't be used to enhance the atmosphere. They already are being used at various UK sporting events. Fireworks before kick off at the cup final? Flamethrowers at T20 Cricket matches? Smoke etc is used in Theatre productions so I'm guessing there is some sort of safe alternative available for that as well. IF the demand was there then perhaps there is a compromise to be found.

The difference we are talking about is, in our case, it is so called fans that are randomly lighting them and throwing them.

What you are referring to is similar to the New Year Fireworks at Edinburgh Castle, organised, by professionals. That would need to be up to the club to organise not some daft wee laddie at the back of the east stand. There are rules regulating fireworks and other pyrotechnics for public display.

As for demand, it is clear there is a polarisation of opinion here and no referendum would sort that out.

Time For Heroes
07-03-2017, 02:03 PM
You say you understand then go on to prove otherwise. The clubs position can't change because the use of smoke bombs in public places is illegal.

I understand, im trying to find possible solutions/avenues which the club could explore.
Is it an offence for the club to see off fireworks etc in the stadium? The law states:
It is on offence for a person to enter or attempt to enter a football ground while in possession of a flare,
smoke bomb or firework. The sentence for these offences can be as much as three months in prison,
and in many cases, fans who have no previous convictions are being given prison sentences for
attempting to enter a football ground with a smoke bomb in their pocket as the courts take these
offences very seriously.
People that bring them in deserve to be punished as they are breaking the law.
What im saying is, times are changing, drummers, singing sections are popular, standing sections may be back sooner rather than later so why no look at ways to see these of safely - from the club - so it is legal and safe?

Time For Heroes
07-03-2017, 02:05 PM
The difference we are talking about is, in our case, it is so called fans that are randomly lighting them and throwing them.

What you are referring to is similar to the New Year Fireworks at Edinburgh Castle, organised, by professionals. That would need to be up to the club to organise not some daft wee laddie at the back of the east stand. There are rules regulating fireworks and other pyrotechnics for public display.

As for demand, it is clear there is a polarisation of opinion here and no referendum would sort that out.

So surely a smoke section could be the way forward, as ive previously said, done by the club?
I agreed entirely regarding daft wee laddies throwing them btw, that isnt my arguement.

Moulin Yarns
07-03-2017, 02:06 PM
I understand, im trying to find possible solutions/avenues which the club could explore.
Is it an offence for the club to see off fireworks etc in the stadium? The law states:
It is on offence for a person to enter or attempt to enter a football ground while in possession of a flare,
smoke bomb or firework. The sentence for these offences can be as much as three months in prison,
and in many cases, fans who have no previous convictions are being given prison sentences for
attempting to enter a football ground with a smoke bomb in their pocket as the courts take these
offences very seriously.
People that bring them in deserve to be punished as they are breaking the law.
What im saying is, times are changing, drummers, singing sections are popular, standing sections may be back sooner rather than later so why no look at ways to see these of safely - from the club - so it is legal and safe?

We were obviously typing at the same time

I think it works well for big games, but is it necessary for a game against Ayr Utd?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrtNiEegO-E

Time For Heroes
07-03-2017, 02:14 PM
We were obviously typing at the same time

Clearly. :greengrin
In all honesty I don't even know if there is a huge need/want for this type of thing.
I just read about Orlando City and thought i'd share what they have done.

WS Hibs
07-03-2017, 02:22 PM

That's the same school of thought as people who brought in Prohibition in America in the 1920s to be fair. Some people will still try to do it, and in banning it you make them more likely to throw the cannister in order to avoid being caught - and therefore put people at risk.

Time For Heroes
07-03-2017, 02:24 PM
I didn't say you said that, I'm asking if that's what you meant .

apologies... no, definately not.
See above. 😀

barcahibs
07-03-2017, 02:27 PM
Have to say I'm not actually against a smoke bomb area, it would just be difficult and expensive for the club to do.

My own personal opinion is that smoke bombs are stupid and add nothing to the atmosphere - but there's lots of things I don't like that other people do. People support hearts, drink buckfast and listen to jazz music (possibly at the same time) and its no skin off my nose as long as they don't do it near me.

I do object to people throwing them randomly about the stadium. YOU (the thrower) clearly like smoke bombs but you're not giving any choice to those around you and you're doing it in a dangerous way, that's what I object to.

If there were going to be a smoke bomb area however I think it would be so sanitised that the people who currently enjoy it wouldn't see the attraction anymore. It would have to be approved pyrotechnics, sourced directly from an approved supplier (so everyone knew what was in the bloody thing) released only at approved times in an approved area by an approved person - who'd probably have to go on some sort of approved smoke bomb thrower course from an approved provider. That's the only way I could see it getting through the law and the insurance companies

I don't think the folks that currently chuck smoke bombs would approve of all the approval processes. And once the club are chucking approved smoke bombs around the place it'll get much harder to prevent the randoms doing it as well.

Given all the caveats above I suspect it would also be expensive - and I definitely wouldn't approve of the club paying for it. It would need to be a fans initiative and paid for by those who enjoy it.

Time For Heroes
07-03-2017, 02:35 PM
[QUOTE=barcahibs;4970213]

I don't think the folks that currently chuck smoke bombs would approve of all the approval processes. And once the club are chucking approved smoke bombs around the place it'll get much harder to prevent the randoms doing it aswell.

Fair point, must say I hadn't thought of that if im honest.

s.a.m
07-03-2017, 02:37 PM
That's the same school of thought as people who brought in Prohibition in America in the 1920s to be fair. Some people will still try to do it, and in banning it you make them more likely to throw the cannister in order to avoid being caught - and therefore put people at risk.

Hibs didn't bring in the law though. While it's there, they can't encourage people to break it, or the club will be penalised.

hibbymac
07-03-2017, 02:38 PM
apologies... no, definately not.
See above. 😀

No problem, :aok: think we're of the same thinking, :greengrin

:agree: something "organised" would be great, but definitely not some dafty lobbing them about at will.

Moulin Yarns
07-03-2017, 02:46 PM
No problem, :aok: think we're of the same thinking, :greengrin

:agree: something "organised" would be great, but definitely not some dafty lobbing them about at will.

How do they know who they are throwing them at? :wink:

hibbymac
07-03-2017, 02:50 PM
How do they know who they are throwing them at? :wink:

If your name is Will, just make sure you wear a hard hat :greengrin

Smartie
07-03-2017, 04:58 PM
If your name is Will, just make sure you wear a hard hat :greengrin

This hard hat idea is an interesting one, I wonder if Hearts might want to get in on this idea?

If going to Tynecastle on a Saturday afternoon doesn't make them look enough like penises, imagine what row upon row of them sitting in their maroon helmets would look like?

cmcd
07-03-2017, 05:25 PM
Because debating it isn't illegal. It's a big topic at the club at the moment and a lot of fans have a lot of different views on the subject, don't know how you can't understand that.

Thanks for reminding me debating is not illegal.In my opinion some people haven't thought about how they would feel if one of their loved ones were affected by receiving burns or worse because of a thoughtless fan throwing a smoke bomb etc .

Pete
07-03-2017, 06:14 PM
If we're talking about wether they enhance an atmosphere or not, I wonder if the people who are saying that they simply don't are showing their, erm, experience or have forgotten what it's like to be young.

Think back to the nightclubs, music venues and raves you went to. The smoke machines present back then are still in use today.

#jackandvictor. ;-)

Andy74
07-03-2017, 07:19 PM
Thanks for reminding me debating is not illegal.In my opinion some people haven't thought about how they would feel if one of their loved ones were affected by receiving burns or worse because of a thoughtless fan throwing a smoke bomb etc .

This has been mentioned a lot. Do you expect anyone to say anything other than they would feel terrible?

A few things though. They aren't designed to be thrown. Like many things. They also don't seem to have the impact you are talking about if they do hit someone.

So, there are any number of potential hazards that would make their way on the list of things to worry about going to the football or indeed getting there before smoke bombs.

If this really is the main concern where do you stand on hot drinks being sold at football? Considerably higher risk than a smoke bomb and just as likely to get chucked by an idiot.

Liam978
07-03-2017, 07:30 PM
This has been mentioned a lot. Do you expect anyone to say anything other than they would feel terrible?

A few things though. They aren't designed to be thrown. Like many things. They also don't seem to have the impact you are talking about if they do hit someone.

So, there are any number of potential hazards that would make their way on the list of things to worry about going to the football or indeed getting there before smoke bombs.

If this really is the main concern where do you stand on hot drinks being sold at football? Considerably higher risk than a smoke bomb and just as likely to get chucked by an idiot.

Jeezo, your like a dog with a bone, what don't you understand about "illegal".I'ts not just the throwing that can cause harm, asthmatics and people with respiratory problems find them most uncomfortable, so do you want us all banned instead.

Skol
07-03-2017, 08:29 PM

How do we feel when getting hit by a carton of pish at Ibrox ? We dont like it.

Why should we be happy about getting hit by a smoke bomb thrown by our own fans.

Remember going home smelling of smoke (those old enough to know what it used to be like in pubs after a night out know what I mean!!) and f you have any breathing problems having some impact. Ive been at paintball in a pit defending something along with an asthma sufferer when a harmless smoke bomb landed beside us with pretty bad circumstances. When I chucked the bomb out the marshall chucked it back in and said we could do that and I had to escort my mate out and get blasted by pellets just to get him over the attack.

But hey, chucking smoke bombs is harmless.

Viva_Palmeiras
07-03-2017, 08:43 PM
If Billy Joel had a smoke bomb he'd have written a completely different song...

Eyrie
07-03-2017, 09:41 PM

The other "potential hazards" you like to mention (eg lighters, coins, your jacket) all have a legitimate purpose when taken to a football ground. What legitimate purpose is there in taking a proscribed smoke bomb into a ground?

Moulin Yarns
07-03-2017, 10:43 PM
The other "potential hazards" you like to mention (eg lighters, coins, your jacket) all have a legitimate purpose when taken to a football ground. What legitimate purpose is there in taking a proscribed smoke bomb into a ground?

I said the same a few pages back and I was ignored by those who don't want to understand the law so don't expect an answer sensible or otherwise

Moulin Yarns
07-03-2017, 10:44 PM

He didn't throw the smoke bomb

cmcd
07-03-2017, 11:03 PM

Am I reading this correctly .You are comparing hot drinks to Flares . I'm sure no sane person would consider buying a cup of tea to throw it on to the pitch On the other hand smoke bombs etc are there to be thrown

Viva_Palmeiras
07-03-2017, 11:48 PM
He didn't throw the smoke bomb

Or was it a flare ;)

Andy74
08-03-2017, 09:30 AM
Am I reading this correctly .You are comparing hot drinks to Flares . I'm sure no sane person would consider buying a cup of tea to throw it on to the pitch On the other hand smoke bombs etc are there to be thrown

No, I'm not talking about flares at all.

I am suggesting though that a hot drink is more of a risk than a smoke bomb, yes.

Hibrandenburg
08-03-2017, 10:05 AM
No, I'm not talking about flares at all.

I am suggesting though that a hot drink is more of a risk than a smoke bomb, yes.

A hot drink is intended to be consumed and therefore non toxic (they might taste ***** but it won't kill you) whereas the smoke from smoke bombs are not intended to be inhaled (see manufacturers instructions) and could severely affect those with respiratory problems. Throwing a hot drink in a paper cup is unlikely to hurt anyone unless intentionally thrown directly at someone where the liquid has no chance to spread out over a wider area and therefore cool down considerably.

The way I see it is it's a simple choice between fun and health. Those with health concerns don't want them and those without who enjoy them do. I know which of both choices is less selfish.

Andy74
08-03-2017, 10:23 AM
A hot drink is intended to be consumed and therefore non toxic (they might taste ***** but it won't kill you) whereas the smoke from smoke bombs are not intended to be inhaled (see manufacturers instructions) and could severely affect those with respiratory problems. Throwing a hot drink in a paper cup is unlikely to hurt anyone unless intentionally thrown directly at someone where the liquid has no chance to spread out over a wider area and therefore cool down considerably.

The way I see it is it's a simple choice between fun and health. Those with health concerns don't want them and those without who enjoy them do. I know which of both choices is less selfish.

So we are on to breathing them now? I was addressing the concerns that people seemed to have around a smoke bomb being throw and injuring someone.

Lets not be selective about intended use or not, or how likely something is to injure.

A hot drink, if thrown, is far more likely to injure than a smoke bomb, if thrown. Neither are meant to be thrown.

Billychaotic182
08-03-2017, 10:45 AM
So we are on to breathing them now? I was addressing the concerns that people seemed to have around a smoke bomb being throw and injuring someone.

Lets not be selective about intended use or not, or how likely something is to injure.

A hot drink, if thrown, is far more likely to injure than a smoke bomb, if thrown. Neither are meant to be thrown.

Mate do you actually like watching hibs or are you more concerned about looking like an ultra?

Because if you like watching hibs you won't bring them in. Hibs will ban you if caught so why risk it for something that is ILLEGAL! This isn't hibs this is the law. You are coming across as a very selfish person. Basically dismissing the fact that these smoke bombs effect your fellow supporters health, surely that is more important that green smoke?

Andy74
08-03-2017, 10:54 AM
Mate do you actually like watching hibs or are you more concerned about looking like an ultra?

Because if you like watching hibs you won't bring them in. Hibs will ban you if caught so why risk it for something that is ILLEGAL! This isn't hibs this is the law. You are coming across as a very selfish person. Basically dismissing the fact that these smoke bombs effect your fellow supporters health, surely that is more important that green smoke?

Where have I given the impression that I have any intention of bringing a smoke bomb to a game? I don't think I could look less like an ultra if I tried at game!

I'm just discussing some of the facts, like the one you have posted there about having an impact on supporters health. I don't think that's really the case.

I've also said it's clear Hibs don't want them and that should be respected until that changes - which I don't ever see happening.

Hibs also won't sell alcohol at grounds but I'm sure many would be happy to debate that too.

Time For Heroes
08-03-2017, 11:17 AM

"playing with smoke, you're the pyro man"

Hibrandenburg
08-03-2017, 11:55 AM

You obviously have no idea of thermo dynamics. After hot liquid leaves a container its surface area is increased considerably after only a short distance and resulting in a rapid decrease in temperature. The quick loss of temperature and the much wider surface area after only a few meters means there would be not enough concentration of liquid at a temperature that could cause serious injury. Or are they serving molten lava in water pistols at ER nowadays?

Andy74
08-03-2017, 12:01 PM
You obviously have no idea of thermo dynamics. After hot liquid leaves a container its surface area is increased considerably after only a short distance and resulting in a rapid decrease in temperature. The quick loss of temperature and the much wider surface area after only a few meters means there would be not enough concentration of liquid at a temperature that could cause serious injury. Or are they serving molten lava in water pistols at ER nowadays?

Yes I'm aware thanks. I was in hospital for 8 months as a kid as a result of hot liquid.

I think you are assuming the liquid leaves the cup at the point it is thrown?

And a smoke bomb of the sort we have been talking about isn't hot to touch at any point which was really the point.

To use the alarmist chat that we have earlier in the thread about it only being a matter of time before anyone was seriously injured by one of these things - it doesn't really stack up - and if anyone was that bothered about stuff that could hurt if thrown there are other places to begin. And let's not pretend we don't have idiots that would throw a full cup of liquid.

Hibrandenburg
08-03-2017, 12:30 PM
Yes I'm aware thanks. I was in hospital for 8 months as a kid as a result of hot liquid.

I think you are assuming the liquid leaves the cup at the point it is thrown?

And a smoke bomb of the sort we have been talking about isn't hot to touch at any point which was really the point.

To use the alarmist chat that we have earlier in the thread about it only being a matter of time before anyone was seriously injured by one of these things - it doesn't really stack up - and if anyone was that bothered about stuff that could hurt if thrown there are other places to begin. And let's not pretend we don't have idiots that would throw a full cup of liquid.

OK, then let's stick to facts. There have been several posts saying here that people with respiratory problems have had adverse reactions to smoke bombs being set off in the stadium and others mention people being scared. Now if causing your fellow fans distress or anguish is an acceptable price for a bit of atmospheric enhancement, then that is just selfish.

cookin_on_gaz
08-03-2017, 12:45 PM
I have said a few daft things in my post history, but quite happy in the knowledge that there are plenty zoomers out there that make my posts actually sound half decent; so for this I have to say a big thank you to Andy 74. Keep up the good work of spraffing nonsense so it takes the pressure of others

Sent from my VF-1397 using Tapatalk

Andy74
08-03-2017, 01:08 PM
OK, then let's stick to facts. There have been several posts saying here that people with respiratory problems have had adverse reactions to smoke bombs being set off in the stadium and others mention people being scared. Now if causing your fellow fans distress or anguish is an acceptable price for a bit of atmospheric enhancement, then that is just selfish.

I think that is certainly a more persuasive aspect than the focus on them being thrown and there potentially being some big incident because of it.

The reactions to the smoke is one I can certainly see the concern with - although I think those with respiratory problems will have issues in several places including sports events were official pyro stuff goes on. Making it worse for people of course is something that we would all agree is something to avoid but it perhaps is more relevant to where you would situate these things if they were allowed rather than it being the main factor behind banning them point blank.

The Orlando stadium thing looks interesting in that there are some clear areas where this appears to be encouraged and you would think that the club then retains more control of what type of things is allowed, how safe they are and who is using them - also people can then choose where to sit to be away from them or not.

where'stheslope
08-03-2017, 07:16 PM
I think that is certainly a more persuasive aspect than the focus on them being thrown and there potentially being some big incident because of it.

The reactions to the smoke is one I can certainly see the concern with - although I think those with respiratory problems will have issues in several places including sports events were official pyro stuff goes on. Making it worse for people of course is something that we would all agree is something to avoid but it perhaps is more relevant to where you would situate these things if they were allowed rather than it being the main factor behind banning them point blank.

The Orlando stadium thing looks interesting in that there are some clear areas where this appears to be encouraged and you would think that the club then retains more control of what type of things is allowed, how safe they are and who is using them - also people can then choose where to sit to be away from them or not.

Its just the same as a controlled fireworks display.

The people setting them off know what they are and what they do.

The problem in football grounds is, if something has been thrown from another part of the stadium at you, the person responsible for throwing it probably has no knowledge of what it is or what it will do, and more than likely does not care anyway!!!

Skol
08-03-2017, 07:50 PM
One question for the smoke bomb throwers

Why dont you light it and hold it up so everyone can see who is responsible for enhancing the atmosphere ?

ColinNish
08-03-2017, 07:55 PM
Cannae believe this thread is still going!!

Eyrie
08-03-2017, 08:19 PM
I said the same a few pages back and I was ignored by those who don't want to understand the law so don't expect an answer sensible or otherwise

And your prediction was correct.

Still the same nonsense from people who have no respect for other fans but just want to be indulged.

Andy74
08-03-2017, 08:55 PM
And your prediction was correct.

Still the same nonsense from people who have no respect for other fans but just want to be indulged.

I'm managing to debate this in a civilised manner. How about you try the same?

Lago
08-03-2017, 10:11 PM
I have said a few daft things in my post history, but quite happy in the knowledge that there are plenty zoomers out there that make my posts actually sound half decent; so for this I have to say a big thank you to Andy 74. Keep up the good work of spraffing nonsense so it takes the pressure of others

Sent from my VF-1397 using Tapatalk
Brilliant:greengrin

Moulin Yarns
08-03-2017, 10:13 PM

*swoon*

Eyrie
08-03-2017, 11:12 PM

You could start by answering my question above instead of ignoring it.

And then you could explain what is civilised about the selfish act of setting off a smoke bomb and obscuring the view of other fans, causing problems for those with breathing difficulties, throwing it where it could hurt someone and/or getting the club fined.

That is the act of someone who has no respect for other fans but just wants to be indulged.

oldbutdim
08-03-2017, 11:33 PM
Brilliant thread. Fantastic how one or two contributors can encourage so many responses.
I may be a cynic, but I think that Andy74 is a bot.

Or something like that.

Viva_Palmeiras
09-03-2017, 06:58 AM
Cannae believe this thread is still going!!

[pun alaret]
Tried to extinguish it but keeps reignighting...

Moulin Yarns
09-03-2017, 09:20 PM

How did you know it was directed at you?

Oh wait a minute!

Eyrie
09-03-2017, 11:05 PM
How did you know it was directed at you?

Oh wait a minute!

I'm disappointed Andy74 hasn't been civilised enough to reply, so I can only assume he was trolling when attempting to defend the idiots with smoke bombs.

RamYer1902
09-03-2017, 11:24 PM
They add to the atmosphere.....

:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HappyAsHellas
09-03-2017, 11:49 PM
I wonder how many of us who watched the tornadoes whilst growing up would have used smoke bombs if they were available? I mean we only had bog rolls to throw to try and add a bit of a spectacle. I'm pretty sure I would have. I'm also pretty sure that Andy74 doesn't deserve some of the snide comments aimed his way for having the audacity to take the opposing view. For this he is lumped in the same pigeonhole as the throwers of the smoke bomb:idiot, moron etc. Welcome to reasoned debate on Hibs net.

Viva_Palmeiras
10-03-2017, 05:33 AM
Can the idiots who think this is a laugh cut it out. The first one that came on was thrown from the back of the East and I watched it barely reach the pitch. If this had hit someone at the front it would have caused a bit of damage. I love the atmosphere up at section 43 but cut this out before someone gets a sore one FFS. Thanks.

Back to OP. Not only this the club does not support the use and the authorities have been fining for use of pyro have they not?
Whilst opoinin appears to be split a sizeable number support the clubs stance on this.

We can debate whether they do damage what they weight whether they burn but the club and authorities are not I imagine going to change their stance over this issue. And sure that is the matter closed - do those for pyro intent to Petition the club or just. Continue to brakDaRulz?

ColinNish
10-03-2017, 08:30 PM
Oh dear.
Another 8 pages.......

Glory Lurker
10-03-2017, 08:33 PM
It's against the law. Hibs have asked for it to not happen. Find and ban, and if Hibs at some point get a fine for a smoke bomb then if there's any hint the perpetrator has wherewithal, they should sue.

CMurdoch
10-03-2017, 08:38 PM
Oh dear.
Another 8 pages.......

:greengrin If anyone saw who threw it please kick them in the stones

where'stheslope
10-03-2017, 09:47 PM
It will take a referee who is maybe getting a hard time at the game, to pull the players off the field till the smoke has cleared and the club will then be in deep trouble from the authorities?

All the referee needs to say in his report is it was for the players protection, and we could end up losing points over this behaviour!!!

Remember its not the first time, and as the season goes on it seems to becoming regular at every game!!!!

Andy74
10-03-2017, 10:06 PM
It will take a referee who is maybe getting a hard time at the game, to pull the players off the field till the smoke has cleared and the club will then be in deep trouble from the authorities?

All the referee needs to say in his report is it was for the players protection, and we could end up losing points over this behaviour!!!

Remember its not the first time, and as the season goes on it seems to becoming regular at every game!!!!

Protection from what?

Carheenlea
11-03-2017, 12:28 AM
Protection from what?

The Dundee Utd player casually wandered over to it, picked it up while in full ignition, and lobbed it pitch side.

Purple & Green
11-03-2017, 12:37 AM
Hibs have asked for it to not happen.

I thought Hibs statement was bizarre (but to be fair I frequently do) in that they merely discouraged the use of pyro. I was under the impression that they find it absolutely unacceptable. Bit ambiguous really IMHO.

hibee_girl
11-03-2017, 11:13 AM
Leeann's not impressed

https://twitter.com/LeeannDempster/status/840520231483297792

Baldy Foghorn
11-03-2017, 11:36 AM
Leeann's not impressed

https://twitter.com/LeeannDempster/status/840520231483297792

When is the message going to sink in?

lugz
11-03-2017, 11:48 AM
I wish the club would start getting stricter about this, there is CCTV that can be used. Find who done it and ban them. No time for these idiots in our club, hope none of this comes over to the FF next season.

Fishwicke
11-03-2017, 11:51 AM
I will go witness against any fan I see throwing any object at a game and provide photo evidence if I can. It's got to stop before someone is injured, the club is fined or has points deducted.

Carheenlea
11-03-2017, 12:06 PM
http://i67.tinypic.com/nn2qdw.jpg

http://i63.tinypic.com/j6u2bd.jpg

sleeping giant
11-03-2017, 12:20 PM
http://i67.tinypic.com/nn2qdw.jpg

http://i63.tinypic.com/j6u2bd.jpg

I know it might not go down too well but it also looked absolutely fantastic on the telly.
I realise that it troubles people and the club want it to stop but it looks bloody amazing .

green day
11-03-2017, 12:37 PM
I will go witness against any fan I see throwing any object at a game and provide photo evidence if I can. It's got to stop before someone is injured, the club is fined or has points deducted.

Good for you

As a matter of interest, how many points have Celtic been deducted for their fans smoke bombing over the last 3 years???

Carheenlea
11-03-2017, 01:13 PM
There was actually more smoke out the back of the West Stand at half time, where large and clear No Smoking signs were ignored making the walk to toilets and catering huts a thick & foggy one. Both are practises that are prohibited, but the police and stewards let both pass without any dramatics.

where'stheslope
11-03-2017, 01:17 PM
There was actually more smoke out the back of the West Stand at half time, where large and clear No Smoking signs were ignored making the walk to toilets and catering huts a thick & foggy one. Both are practises that are prohibited, but the police and stewards let both pass without any dramatics.
Fantastic!!!
Two wrongs do make a right?????

hibsbollah
11-03-2017, 01:20 PM
When is the message going to sink in?

I know. She should really develop a sense of fun:wink:

Eyrie
11-03-2017, 01:25 PM
I know it might not go down too well but it also looked absolutely fantastic on the telly.
I realise that it troubles people and the club want it to stop but it looks bloody amazing .

That's a matter of opinion.

My opinion was that it was stupid and partially obscured the view. Fortunately the ball wasn't in the area.

As I've said before, anyone who likes smoke bombs should lock themselves in a cupboard and then set it off. Think of all the fun they'll have without annoying other people.

CRAZYHIBBY
11-03-2017, 01:31 PM
I actually like the smoke bombs, they look amazing especially with flares but they can be dangerous in a crowded stadium.