PDA

View Full Version : Behind the Goals today

LithgaeHibby
04-03-2017, 05:25 PM
I pitched up at 2.30 with my son, aiming to meet pals inside (who had already bought me a drink). There was a short queue and the security guys on the door were saying "changed policy, it's no longer one in one out". Must have been about 50 folk who came out while we were waiting (no exaggeration) some of whom were saying there was plenty of room upstairs. Security guys just said that once it gets full, doesn't matter how many folk come out, nobody else is getting in. :brickwall Lots of angry folk stuck outside. Can anyone shed any light on the "new policy"? :dunno: Apart from that it was a great afternoon!
:flag:

Skol
04-03-2017, 05:44 PM
I pitched up at 2.30 with my son, aiming to meet pals inside (who had already bought me a drink). There was a short queue and the security guys on the door were saying "changed policy, it's no longer one in one out". Must have been about 50 folk who came out while we were waiting (no exaggeration) some of whom were saying there was plenty of room upstairs. Security guys just said that once it gets full, doesn't matter how many folk come out, nobody else is getting in. :brickwall Lots of angry folk stuck outside. Can anyone shed any light on the "new policy"? :dunno: Apart from that it was a great afternoon!

Maybe the fans reps could help out here...except we never hear from them !

Brightside
04-03-2017, 05:45 PM
Now thats is now any tickets gets you in - the place is rammed pre 2pm. It used to be a ST holder bonus to have this place to enjoy a pre game pint. Its very poor from Hibs.

Golden Bear
04-03-2017, 05:48 PM

I must have been in the same Q as you and at the same time.

First of all, I felt sorry for the security guys as they were only adhering to the instructions that they'd been given.

Apparently the previous policy of "one out one in" ceased "about 3 to 4 weeks ago - at least according to Frank Dougan who made a valiant (if unsuccessful) attempt to explain the logic behind this new policy. What was apparent was the fact the the premises were emptying rapidly from about 2:15 onwards and without anyone being allowed to enter then a shed load of potential bar revenue must have been lost.

As far as I can gather the BTG is now open to all comers from 11:30am onwards and once its declared full then that's the position regardless of the numbers waiting or leaving the premises thereafter. We made the point to FD that one of the privileges of being a season ticket holder was entry to the BTG but this apparently counts for nothing now. In addition, "out of town" supporters like myself are being discriminated against as there's no way many of us can get in for 11.30 on a Saturday morning.

Finally, to my knowledge this "new policy" has not been advertised on the Club website or through any of the other communication channels which leaves us ordinary supporters very much in the dark. It's all a bit disappointing and like others, I'm sure we'll be having our couple of pre match pints elsewhere from now on.

NadeAteMyLunch!
04-03-2017, 05:55 PM

Ironically Frank Dougan got sent out to take the flack from the, justifiably, angry mob locked out. It was a shambles. Really, really poor from the club and even worse to leave G4S and Frank to take the flack for their crap decisions. Get this sorted Hibs! [emoji35]

marinello59
04-03-2017, 05:58 PM

There was a fans rep present at the door trying to explain things and dealing with the moaning much more patiently than I would have.

Martin Dundas
04-03-2017, 06:00 PM
I must have been in the same Q as you and at the same time.

First of all, I felt sorry for the security guys as they were only adhering to the instructions that they'd been given.

Apparently the previous policy of "one out one in" ceased "about 3 to 4 weeks ago - at least according to Frank Dougan who made a valiant (if unsuccessful) attempt to explain the logic behind this new policy. What was apparent was the fact the the premises were emptying rapidly from about 2:15 onwards and without anyone being allowed to enter then a shed load of potential bar revenue must have been lost.

As far as I can gather the BTG is now open to all comers from 11:30am onwards and once its declared full then that's the position regardless of the numbers waiting or leaving the premises thereafter. We made the point to FD that one of the privileges of being a season ticket holder was entry to the BTG but this apparently counts for nothing now. In addition, "out of town" supporters like myself are being discriminated against as there's no way many of us can get in for 11.30 on a Saturday morning.

Finally, to my knowledge this "new policy" has not been advertised on the Club website or through any of the other communication channels which leaves us ordinary supporters very much in the dark. It's all a bit disappointing and like others, I'm sure we'll be having our couple of pre match pints elsewhere from now on.

I turned up about the same time, mainly to see if there was a ballot box for voting. Hoped to get a quick pie and a pint too. Can confirm all of the above. The security guys themselves seemed bemused by the change in policy, driven by the club apparently. Absolutely bewildering. No self respecting business would turn custom away. I assume there will be a reason. But no one seems to know what that is!

Brightside
04-03-2017, 06:00 PM
The problem is letting anyone in to begin with....the place is rammed. Frank wasnt lying. There is really no point going after 2pm - you wont get in.

Golden Bear
04-03-2017, 06:02 PM
Ironically Frank Dougan got sent out to take the flack from the, justifiably, angry mob locked out. It was a shambles. Really, really poor from the club and even worse to leave G4S and Frank to take the flack for their crap decisions. Get this sorted Hibs! [emoji35]

I'd really like to know who was all involved in this apparent change of policy, because on the surface of it, it's totally nonsensical.

Golden Bear
04-03-2017, 06:04 PM
The problem is letting anyone in to begin with....the place is rammed. Frank wasnt lying. There is really no point going after 2pm - you wont get in.

I and many others have often turned up after 2pm, been admitted, been served and left happily.

Why the change?

Martin Dundas
04-03-2017, 06:09 PM

Get that. But why not let people in when others leave. Thats how it worked in the past. And hiw pubs and clubs generally work. Had they let too many people in in the first place? Which would of course be a health and safety issue;

DaveF
04-03-2017, 06:10 PM
Just go the Iona or elsewhere for a beer. It'll taste better and maybe if Hibs lose customers from BTG, then they might take notice and begin to treat paying fans with some respect.

marinello59
04-03-2017, 06:13 PM

Exactly. The place was mobbed, no real point in letting anybody else in.

DaveF
04-03-2017, 06:14 PM

Not even if people leave? Cant see the sense in that?

Golden Bear
04-03-2017, 06:15 PM

It couldn't possibly have been mobbed at 2:30. I was speaking to a guy who had just come out and he confirmed that the top floor bar was very quiet at that time.

LithgaeHibby
04-03-2017, 06:16 PM
My son and I are season ticket holders and we've been turning up long after 2pm and getting into BTG no problem all season. It's always been busy but never that bad.

Scouse Hibee
04-03-2017, 06:18 PM
I'd really like to know who was all involved in this apparent change of policy, because on the surface of it, it's totally nonsensical.

No surprise really just another way for the club to piss off ST holders who they apparently value so much.

Golden Bear
04-03-2017, 06:20 PM
My son and I are season ticket holders and we've been turning up long after 2pm and getting into BTG no problem all season. It's always been busy but never that bad.

Yip, that's the same as me.

All is not well, communication is very poor, cliques could be in operation with regard to the decision that was made and that's my last word on this subject.

killie-hibby
04-03-2017, 06:22 PM
Including today I have been denied admission three times this year. From next game it will be the Iona.
Wont really miss the abysmal range of spirits on BTG gantry.

Martin Dundas
04-03-2017, 06:23 PM
No surprise really just another way for the club to piss off ST holders who they apparently value so much.

One comment, but not an isolated one.

ColinNish
04-03-2017, 06:30 PM
Maybe they're doing this to drive folk away so when BTG gets shut for good during the close season they won't have to build a new bar. Just a thought.

Martin Dundas
04-03-2017, 06:42 PM
Maybe they're doing this to drive folk away so when BTG gets shut for good during the close season they won't have to build a new bar. Just a thought.

:-)

Moody Blues
04-03-2017, 06:46 PM
Doesn't really bother me, prefer Sunnyside although it is very busy as well, but at least the pint is decent.

Andy74
04-03-2017, 06:48 PM
Should be season ticket holders only.

Billy Whizz
04-03-2017, 06:54 PM
Should be season ticket holders only.

Thought it was?
I was just leaving as Frank went to speak to the disgruntled fans. I think we generally we let too many people in, but if they have had a change in policy, they should have communicated it!

Andy74
04-03-2017, 06:56 PM
Thought it was?
I was just leaving as Frank went to speak to the disgruntled fans. I think we generally we let too many people in, but if they have had a change in policy, they should have communicated it!

I got caught out last week and didn't get in. I rely on knowing I can get in there with my wee girl and it has everything we need.

Skol
04-03-2017, 07:25 PM
There was a fans rep present at the door trying to explain things and dealing with the moaning much more patiently than I would have.

Did he know of this beforehand ?

If yes, what did he do to let people know ?

If no, then why not ?

marinello59
04-03-2017, 07:35 PM
Did he know of this beforehand ?

If yes, what did he do to let people know ?

If no, then why not ?

I have no idea if he knew anything beforehand but he did put himself in the firing line. God knows why, he'll get **** all thanks for it.

Carheenlea
04-03-2017, 07:37 PM
Is it not always open to all on Cup days, and ST holders on league days? Obviously the abandonment of the one out - one in is a new one.

Onceinawhile
04-03-2017, 07:39 PM
Is it not always open to all on Cup days, and ST holders on league days? Obviously the abandonment of the one out - one in is a new one.

Not changed to all ticket holders for all games a while ago.

Skol
04-03-2017, 07:40 PM
I have no idea if he knew anything beforehand but he did put himself in the firing line. God knows why, he'll get **** all thanks for it.

My point is that he should have known about it and ensured that the club made efforts to communicate the change to fams. Coming out to appease the angry punters is akin to closing the stable door after the horse has bolted.

Golden Bear
04-03-2017, 07:40 PM

I'm not sure if it was by accident or design that Frank appeared but he did acknowledge that the apparent policy change should have been communicated to the ordinary punters.
It's still a mystery who was behind the decision however.

Billy Whizz
04-03-2017, 07:41 PM

Can't be on Cup tie days though, as it's not a season ticket game

Hibs07p
04-03-2017, 07:41 PM
It used to be paid membership and ST only.

GGTTH
Scottish Cup Winners 2016
Destroyer of poppy thieves

Skol
04-03-2017, 07:47 PM
Can't be on Cup tie days though, as it's not a season ticket game

Could still be a benefit for those ST holders that want to use it......

Martin Dundas
04-03-2017, 07:48 PM
Strange decision. But just means going earlier. Or going somewhere else. You could get in the Hibs Club ok today, but the bar queue was massive. Downside of getting bigger crowds I suppose.

Beefster
04-03-2017, 07:55 PM

Aye, but unfortunately Hibs didn't decide to up the bar staff to cope with the extra folk.

I used to quite like BTG but it's just an utter piss-take now.

Blaster
04-03-2017, 08:33 PM
Strange decision. But just means going earlier. Or going somewhere else. You could get in the Hibs Club ok today, but the bar queue was massive. Downside of getting bigger crowds I suppose.

Martin, I get the East Lothian hibs bus up and we normally arrive at 2.25 or so. That gives folk the choice of heading straight to the stadium or to BTG for a quick refreshment. Never been a problem

Occasionally those heading for a beer had to wait for a few folk to come out before we could get in. That's fair enough, you can only have so many people in at one time

So why the change in rule? I actually managed to get in for one recent midweek game and there was hardly anyone there and no queue at the bar.

I accept people there before me deserve to get in and have more rights than me. But surely if there is capacity as people are leaving it's throwing money away to not let others in?

Martin Dundas
04-03-2017, 08:38 PM
Martin, I get the East Lothian hibs bus up and we normally arrive at 2.25 or so. That gives folk the choice of heading straight to the stadium or to BTG for a quick refreshment. Never been a problem

Occasionally those heading for a beer had to wait for a few folk to come out before we could get in. That's fair enough, you can only have so many people in at one time

So why the change in rule? I actually managed to get in for one recent midweek game and there was hardly anyone there and no queue at the bar.

I accept people there before me deserve to get in and have more rights than me. But surely if there is capacity as people are leaving it's throwing money away to not let others in?

I totally agree with you. It seems absolute madness and I was disappointed and a little angry to hear about this apparent rule change from one of the G4 guys.

ronaldo7
04-03-2017, 08:40 PM

Double, or triple rounds usually sorts that out.:aok:

marinello59
04-03-2017, 08:44 PM
My point is that he should have known about it and ensured that the club made efforts to communicate the change to fams. Coming out to appease the angry punters is akin to closing the stable door after the horse has bolted.

That's more than a bit unfair on FD. It's whoever took the decision you should be turning your attention too.

hibbymick
04-03-2017, 08:51 PM
The word going round BTG today was it was closing for good from the end of the season. Anyone know if this is true ?

Skol
04-03-2017, 08:52 PM
That's more than a bit unfair on FD. It's whoever took the decision you should be turning your attention too.

Whats the point of the fans rep then ?

But yeah, agree the decision maker has a lot to answer for as well

Andy74
04-03-2017, 08:54 PM
Whats the point of the fans rep then ?

But yeah, agree the decision maker has a lot to answer for as well

FD is a board member though and ultimately shares responsibility for the decision making as well.

ColinNish
04-03-2017, 09:39 PM
The word going round BTG today was it was closing for good from the end of the season. Anyone know if this is true ?

Yes its true

Criswell
04-03-2017, 10:24 PM
Aye, but unfortunately Hibs didn't decide to up the bar staff to cope with the extra folk.

I used to quite like BTG but it's just an utter piss-take now.

Long gone are the days when it was a cheap pint. £3.80 for a pint of lager? Pretty steep for "club prices"

Albanian Hibs
04-03-2017, 10:31 PM
Long gone are the days when it was a cheap pint. £3.80 for a pint of lager? Pretty steep for "club prices"

And £3.50 for a bottle of pish Heineken 😷

erin go bragh
04-03-2017, 10:49 PM
We left BTG at 2.20 . Seen the commotion outside . Wasn't even a q at the bar on the first floor . Strange desison to stop paying Hibs fans in .

Sir David Gray
04-03-2017, 10:57 PM

There was a leaflet handed out today with a Q&A on it. Whilst it wasn't 100% confirmed it is definitely looking that way and it's being replaced by an NHS health centre.

It might be relocated to another area of the stadium but that's apparently still under review.

One Day
04-03-2017, 11:36 PM

Upstairs wasn't as busy as I've seen it

silverhibee
05-03-2017, 12:18 AM

Maybe Frank could have let them know who to turn there attention to and take it up with whoever made the decision.

Scouse Hibee
05-03-2017, 12:21 AM
Hibs should put marquees up like the pubs do for the rugby. The East would be ideal as we own the land unlike the West.

Bishop Hibee
05-03-2017, 12:39 AM
Closure doesn't affect me a I've drunk in Robbies pre-match for 27 years but why is it turning into an NHS health centre?

silverhibee
05-03-2017, 12:41 AM
Yes its true

Helping the community.

Hibs open there own bar "BTG" and take custom away from local pubs surrounding ER, FFS one of these pubs is now a shop and others have closed down, they pubs would have relied on home games for a good earner and may have kept them ticking over, but with "BTG" being easier for fans to get in to then that's where they went and the pubs closed down, now, Hibs are going to close down BTG and leave punters who keep the club going and let them battle to get in to the few pubs that are still open and that will be a nightmare to get served.

You would have thought the fans reps would have kept us up to date with what's going on at our club.

Itsnoteasy
05-03-2017, 12:42 AM
Closure doesn't affect me a I've drunk in Robbies pre-match for 27 years but why is it turning into an NHS health centre?

Allegedly had an offer they could not refuse from them.

Itsnoteasy
05-03-2017, 12:46 AM
Helping the community.

Hibs open there own bar "BTG" and take custom away from local pubs surrounding ER, FFS one of these pubs is now a shop and others have closed down, they pubs would have relied on home games for a good earner and may have kept them ticking over, but with "BTG" being easier for fans to get in to then that's where they went and the pubs closed down, now, Hibs are going to close down BTG and leave punters who keep the club going and let them battle to get in to the few pubs that are still open and that will be a nightmare to get served.

You would have thought the fans reps would have kept us up to date with what's going on at our club.

BTG is only used for an average of 90 hours a season. Hardly a money spinner. There was pubs in the 80's when we were getting
5-6 thousand per game with no BTG & they survived.

Valencia
05-03-2017, 10:27 AM
I think the change to all ticket holders was because it had been getting quieter and was not fully utilised. Yesterday was exeptionally busy and we went to the upper floor where it was OK with most people getting a seat However the service was really slow with only two serving and one of them coudnae pour the lager

Hermit Crab
05-03-2017, 11:44 AM
The Hibs club yesterday was the same, they even stopped letting non members in at 13:45 as it was too busy and I found out yesterday that they no longer allow away fans in, the person on the door claimed they've never allowed away fans in which is a lot of pish. They used to welcome away fans in there (except old firm and Hearts) when the club was low on numbers..... Middletons shut its doors around the same time. The Mash Tun was rammed too.

NAE NOOKIE
05-03-2017, 01:52 PM
Wow .... chuck this in with the FF lift thread and it seems Hibs are taking their eye off the ball a bit when it comes to keeping the fans happy.

It seems barmy to implement a policy that prevents paying customers entering BTG .... you can chuck in the smoking area outside the FF for a bit of dissatisfaction as well. Don't get me wrong, like a lot of tobacco addicts I'm grateful that Hibs provide this facility, but then they put barriers up which restricts the available space between the stand and the pavement, it turns the place into something akin to the black hole of Calcutta with a smoke bomb lobbed into it, during the Hertz game it was just ridiculous ..... you could understand it if there wasn't room to move the barriers back by about 10 feet before they get to the pavement, but apparently 'its more than my jobs worth guv'

For folk concerned about the bar for next season, it appears from the lift thread that Hibs do intend to replace it with a temporary solution to begin with, with a view to a permanent replacement when that can be done ...... I certainly hope that's true, because it would be tragic if the fans bar were to be lost forever.

ColinNish
05-03-2017, 02:47 PM
Wow .... chuck this in with the FF lift thread and it seems Hibs are taking their eye off the ball a bit when it comes to keeping the fans happy.

It seems barmy to implement a policy that prevents paying customers entering BTG .... you can chuck in the smoking area outside the FF for a bit of dissatisfaction as well. Don't get me wrong, like a lot of tobacco addicts I'm grateful that Hibs provide this facility, but then they put barriers up which restricts the available space between the stand and the pavement, it turns the place into something akin to the black hole of Calcutta with a smoke bomb lobbed into it, during the Hertz game it was just ridiculous ..... you could understand it if there wasn't room to move the barriers back by about 10 feet before they get to the pavement, but apparently 'its more than my jobs worth guv'

For folk concerned about the bar for next season, it appears from the lift thread that Hibs do intend to replace it with a temporary solution to begin with, with a view to a permanent replacement when that can be done ...... I certainly hope that's true, because it would be tragic if the fans bar were to be lost forever.

Tragic? Hardly.

NAE NOOKIE
05-03-2017, 04:22 PM
Tragic? Hardly.

Well not for me, but then I hardly ever use it. But having said that I think having such a facility brings the club and the fans closer together and from that point of view yes it would be tragic if it were lost. When the fans have facilities like this at the stadium it makes it more of a focal point, rather than just 20,000 seats from 3pm to 4:45pm on a Saturday and from that point of view its important.

Mibbes Aye
05-03-2017, 04:26 PM

I don't use BTG as I have football in the morning and am always cutting it fine but I've moved house and as a consequence I was planning on using it next season! Hopefully it continues to exist in some shape or form, wherever it ends up.

I don't think there's been enough communication from the club about the work with NHS Lothian and the potential changes to the use of the stadium. That notwithstanding, I think the club has done brilliantly developing stuff like Gamechanger as well as the work of the Community Foundation more generally. There's been a real and explicit commitment in recent years to use the Hibernian name and identity to promote opportunities and wellbeing for people, away from the football field. My understanding is that the use of the FF Stand is taking the existing partnership work forward but it would be good if the club could confirm this.

It's not anything terribly fashionable but it makes a massive difference to the lives of those affected by it. If this change enhances that then we should welcome it. For me it feels like the kind of thing Canon Hannan intended our club should do, updated to the 21st century.

ColinNish
05-03-2017, 05:15 PM
Well not for me, but then I hardly ever use it. But having said that I think having such a facility brings the club and the fans closer together and from that point of view yes it would be tragic if it were lost. When the fans have facilities like this at the stadium it makes it more of a focal point, rather than just 20,000 seats from 3pm to 4:45pm on a Saturday and from that point of view its important.

I agree it is maybe Important but it's not "tragic". A family of four losing their lives in a fire is tragic, not a bar folk use on matchdays.

ancient hibee
05-03-2017, 05:16 PM
BTG used to be great.Queue in the street for 20 minutes,once in queue for 15 minutes to get served with beer that tasted as if it had been recycled from the lavatory.Can't think why I stopped going.

NAE NOOKIE
05-03-2017, 05:48 PM
I agree it is maybe Important but it's not "tragic". A family of four losing their lives in a fire is tragic, not a bar folk use on matchdays.

Ach, ye ken what I cant even be bothered to think of a clever response ....... tragic these days is a generic term that can be ( and is ) used to cover any number of situations that of themselves are clearly 'not' tragic when put up against things that are genuinely tragedies.

A guy crawling up a beach on D Day to save his mates and wipe out a German machine gun nest is a 'hero' not some guy getting his head to a corner in the last minute in a football match at Hampden ...... I presume you have pointed this out on one of the many cup final threads.

:yawn:

Golden Bear
05-03-2017, 05:52 PM
BTG used to be great.Queue in the street for 20 minutes,once in queue for 15 minutes to get served with beer that tasted as if it had been recycled from the lavatory.Can't think why I stopped going.

So I keep hearing but it didn't stop the place being packed out between 2pm and kick off time.

Edit:- Apart from yesterday that is following the weird decision not to allow faithful fans to spend their cash and support the Club!

ColinNish
05-03-2017, 06:20 PM
Ach, ye ken what I cant even be bothered to think of a clever response ....... tragic these days is a generic term that can be ( and is ) used to cover any number of situations that of themselves are clearly 'not' tragic when put up against things that are genuinely tragedies.

A guy crawling up a beach on D Day to save his mates and wipe out a German machine gun nest is a 'hero' not some guy getting his head to a corner in the last minute in a football match at Hampden ...... I presume you have pointed this out on one of the many cup final threads.

:yawn:
Just coz its used in a superflous way doesn't make it right.

BTW, I wasn't on here after we won the Scottish Cup :greengrin

NAE NOOKIE
05-03-2017, 06:40 PM
Just coz its used in a superflous way doesn't make it right.

BTW, I wasn't on here after we won the Scottish Cup :greengrin

Well perhaps not, but why are you telling me when there's a whole lot of other folk out there to bother with it :aok:

Enough said
05-03-2017, 06:43 PM
Well perhaps not, but why are you telling me when there's a whole lot of other folk out there to bother with it :aok:

It's only open every 2nd week if your lucky. Heard it's 500 grand from NHS good money if true

Mibbes Aye
05-03-2017, 08:05 PM
It's only open every 2nd week if your lucky. Heard it's 500 grand from NHS good money if true

NHS Lothian are seriously over-spent. They are having to pay to ensure there are GP services available to people as practices can't keep up with demand.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you hear the 500K figure from? One-off or recurring?

Greenworld
06-03-2017, 07:11 PM
Going tell me why anyone at 2.30 is not going into the ground not for more drink

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

bingo70
06-03-2017, 07:14 PM
Going tell me why anyone at 2.30 is not going into the ground not for more drink

Cos it takes about 10-15 minutes to drink a pint so plenty time left for a pint or two before the game starts?

Golden Bear
07-03-2017, 07:47 AM

2.30 might be stretching things a bit but the big plus point about BTG is the fact that you can (could) go in about 2pm, have a couple of drinks, leave about 2:45 and still be in your seat for the 3pm kick off.

But these were now the good old days it would seem.